[Teef][SoT] Daredevil

[Teef][SoT] Daredevil

in Thief

Posted by: yolo swaggins.2570

yolo swaggins.2570

Credit goes to the leader of [Teef]

So its been a few days and I’ve been busy with work. Sorry I havn’t gotten to writing this up sooner.

When I first announced this State of Thief I said we were going to focus more on discussion more than buffing. Most of us agree Thief could use some love and that Daredevil is mostly balanced in this power-creep soaked meta. The discussion basically reinforced the collective opinion as there really isn’t much of the elite spec that needs improvement.

Still, despite assuming such things, I went ahead with it and gathered details from the discussion for your viewing pleasure. Starting out with staff…

Staff auto attack

This combo is very solid and fast enough to rival necro’s vuln stacking capabilities. The auto also has double the hit capacity of sword and Unload making it much better to use Signet of Malice than most weaponsets. The reflect at the last attack is also a very nice touch. Pretty much like Ranger’s GS auto except with reflect.

Weakening Charge

There were a few issues brought up during the discussion. One being the impact this skill puts forth in practice and its aftercast. While it has accumulative weakness on each hit, most times all 3 hits do not land. One way to make most of the hits land is to hit it just before you get into melee distance but it is a bit hard to do on a moving target. But the damage per hit and the low weakness duration makes it mostly not worth the initiative. As for the aftercast, everyone noticed it and it is kind of a turnoff. Makes the skill look a little clunky and adds more risk to the skill than needed.

Debilitating Arc

While the opinion of this skill was as negative as Weakening Charge, it was also compared with Shortbow’s Disabling Shot. Comparing the two, Debilitating Arc is a much better version than it’s counterpart in both utility and effectiveness. It’s faster and removes immobilize. While it is a much better Disabling Shot, willingness to use is iffy among those participating. And just a little note, this comparison was the inspiration behind my last thread.

Dust Strike

This was seen as a nice skill, especially as a support device when not focused on by the enemy. One thing that requested, however, was that there was a lingering (1 second) smoke field this skill would produce. Nothing pulsing, just lingering. This way there would be a decent way to stealth with this weapon so we’d have more action with Hook Strike. By the way, Hook Strike was not talked about during the SoT. Sorry :I Feel free to discuss it here.

Vault

This skill is great. Nice damage and utility packed into one. My personal issue is that it doesn’t resemble Final Fantasy’s Dragoon Jump skill. But SOME people think the animation would be OP. >:c

Channelled Vigor

It was funny when we got to this skill. The review was negative until it was mentioned that the cast time was reduced from the 2s it used to be to 3/4s. Channeled Vigor has the best HPS (coughsecondtosignetofmalicecough) of all thief heals and is good for both stealthing and evasion builds. Don’t destroy this heal anet.

Bandit’s Defense

This is actually a very good skill. The main thing that is ruining it is the time between the blocked attack and the kick. The counter is a bit slow and seems like someone could easily interrupt it. What would fix this is a short evade or a more instant knockdown. Otherwise, awesome stun break. Thank you anet.

Distracting Daggers

This skill has a good concept behind it. But most do not use it. Why it is so will be discussed on a separate thread because there could be multiple causes causing this issue. Personally I think its just clunky AF.

Fist Flurry

Insane damage but it is difficult to land all hits without assistance. Guess setup is the cost of getting all that damage. You could always increase your chances in landing all hits by using shadowsteps or casting just before getting into melee range. Still the overall reaction was meh.

Impairing Daggers

This skill turns out to be good for just about any kind of build. Slow and Immobilize help with setting up attacks while the poison work with condition builds and hurting heals.

Impact Strike

This is an amazing skill. Still a little clunky but the applications for this skill is awesome. Imagine someone getting ressed from down. Using an action camera you can aim the first 2 attacks at the ressers and use the last attack to finish. Or drop your target to near-down and use the skill to quickly down and finish him. Great skill. Do not change please.

Havoc Mastery

This is a decent and basic trait for thief/daredevil. Since most combat is done up close anyways it will pretty much always be active.

Weakening Strikes

The added 10% damage reduction from weakened enemies is a nice touch. The reduction existed before but it really needed the tooltip addition for clarification. Now, combined with Lotus Poison from DA it is very possible to make a poison build where part of the defense is constant weakness. Just something to think about.

Brawler’s Tenacity

Decent trait if you plan on using physical skills. However the -20% CD isn’t noticed as much since the CDs of physical skills are already short. Whatever, free endurance.

Driven Fortitude

Like every on-evade trait, it rewards proper usage of evasion. The heal isn’t very noticeable especially since it only happens every second. One thing that was requested was that it’d get switched with Escapist’s Absolution.

Staff Master

Again another good basic trait. The endurance gain, while nice, doesn’t give enough reason to use this. The added damage is though. One thing suggested was increase the endurance gain per initiative by maybe a point.

Escapist’s Absolution

Oh man I cannot tell you how badly thief needed something like this. This trait is living proof that anet listens. kitten kissing aside, this really does provide good condition cleanse for evasion builds. And like every other on-evade, it provides cleanse for proper uses. Personally I feel that this is a better idea than on-dodge which would limit 3 cleanses before endurance gain and vigor spam became needed which would drastically reduce potential build diversity.

Impacting Disruption

Really decent trait for interrupt builds. In fact, this would aid in hybrid builds as the damage hits hard even without power. Just max interrupts and you are set.

Endurance Thief

Good minor. Nothing much to say about it since it is straight forward… but what if… it stole endurance?

Lotus Training

This is necessary to have on a condition build. Why? Each dagger deals all conditions it states to all affected. This also procs Signet of Malice. It essentially turns your dodge into a weird Deathblossom While temporarily increasing your condition damage. I wish the duration of the buff was longer but still. Awesome.

Unhindered Combatant

This is also a good skill for repositioning. The dash is actually a bit farther than what it claims to have. If used by itself without movement, it goes it’s specified distance. But the swiftness boost will make it seem like a much farther dash if you keep moving in said direction. And since its really good for repositioning, I might try it with P/P at some point. It made using straight shortbow fun since it simply augmented SB’s in combat mobility. Move > pewpew > move > repeat. However. I dislike the animation.

Bounding Dodger

This trait singlehandedly provided most of our stealthless builds with a stealth option. Pretty much anything x/p. And it does decent damage to boot but it is still an option.

Anyways there you have it. Discuss.

Credit goes to the leader of [Teef]

Liaison for [Teef]
“Please stop complaining about stuff you don’t even know about.” ~Nocta

(edited by yolo swaggins.2570)

[Teef][SoT] Daredevil

in Thief

Posted by: Vornollo.5182

Vornollo.5182

Should Driven Fortitude get swapped with Escapists Absolution, the healing and/or ICD should be reviewed to make it a viable choice over Staff Mastery/Impacting Disruption.
Think I mentioned that :P

[PUSH] Constant Pressure

[Teef][SoT] Daredevil

in Thief

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

I really like WC. Unlike Vault it has no windup so it is easy to land two of them right after a Steal/Stone combo. Sure all three strikes don’t hit but usually two do so that is four shots in roughly the same time it takes Vault to land. This translates into almost twice the damage of Vault, only one more initiative spent and the opponent starts off the fight weakened without having to take the WS trait.

DA is only useful if not running Withdrawl or Unhindered Combatant.

Dust Strike is just too heavy for what it generates. 4 init for a single blind. If it left a short smoke field, it would be good.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

[Teef][SoT] Daredevil

in Thief

Posted by: Reem.3578

Reem.3578

Nicely done!!
And if any dev is reading this:
Please, please give us some access to stability!! ;.;
(Even just on impact strike…)
:3
I’d like to see more discussions in the chat, though
There’s nothing funnier than discussing some stuffy stuff there!

“You judge too much with your eyes alone…”

And yes, i play [Teef] :)

[Teef][SoT] Daredevil

in Thief

Posted by: evilapprentice.6379

evilapprentice.6379

A good write up, but a couple points of contention (IMO of course)

Bandits defense – Currently, the kick is a liability. Any experienced player is going to come at you with stability up and punish you during the kick animation. This is worse in team fights where any experienced team knows to FF you while you’re kicking since all of your defenses are active, you’re locked into a useless animation, and you’ll melt in half a second. The kick needs to become a rollover-on-block that allows you to choose when (and if) to use the kick.

Weakening charge – make the range 170 and 360 degrees, and this skill all of sudden becomes pretty decent – when used at the right range, you’ll be able to go through your target and still land all 3 hits.

Escapists absolution – I Still don’t believe this trait is worth a major slot. Giving your opponent control over when you can use this trait (you have to evade an attack) makes it a liability, unable to ever be truly counted on as your primary condition cleanse and relegating it to a “support cleansing” role. It should be merged with Driven Fortitude and another major trait designed in its place.

If you’re a thief and haven’t
pre-ordered HOT at this point,
save yourself the money and don’t bother.

[Teef][SoT] Daredevil

in Thief

Posted by: Mor The Thief.9135

Mor The Thief.9135

Bandits defense – Currently, the kick is a liability. Any experienced player is going to come at you with stability up and punish you during the kick animation. This is worse in team fights where any experienced team knows to FF you while you’re kicking since all of your defenses are active, you’re locked into a useless animation, and you’ll melt in half a second. The kick needs to become a rollover-on-block that allows you to choose when (and if) to use the kick.

Weakening charge – make the range 170 and 360 degrees, and this skill all of sudden becomes pretty decent – when used at the right range, you’ll be able to go through your target and still land all 3 hits.

Escapists absolution – I Still don’t believe this trait is worth a major slot. Giving your opponent control over when you can use this trait (you have to evade an attack) makes it a liability, unable to ever be truly counted on as your primary condition cleanse and relegating it to a “support cleansing” role. It should be merged with Driven Fortitude and another major trait designed in its place.

Took the words out of my mouth.

[Teef][SoT] Daredevil

in Thief

Posted by: SoulSin.5682

SoulSin.5682

I haven’t tested properly, but on the last Closed Beta I could “cancel” the kick from bandid defense by dodging.

I can’t seen to be able to cancel the kick now.

I’ve used a lot that skill on CBT, it was a 10 sec stun break and could basically block ranged attacks freely.

[Teef][SoT] Daredevil

in Thief

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

I haven’t tested properly, but on the last Closed Beta I could “cancel” the kick from bandid defense by dodging.

I’ve used a lot that skill on CBT, it was a 10 sec stun break and could basically block ranged attacks freely.

It still gets prevented when using Dash at least as of last night. Haven’t tried it with a different dodge though.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

[Teef][SoT] Daredevil

in Thief

Posted by: Maugetarr.6823

Maugetarr.6823

Agree with this. Move feline grace to the master minor slot and re-design acro from the ground up after combining the traits. Reverse the order of Palm Strike and Fist Flurry as well.

Blank Players [BDL]-Anvil Rock
Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele
Rebalance Ideas for Thief

[Teef][SoT] Daredevil

in Thief

Vornollo.5182

It still gets prevented when using Dash at least as of last night. Haven’t tried it with a different dodge though.

Bandit’s Defence Kicking part can be cancelled by all dodges (including the base dodge without a GM dodge selected) aswel as the stowing of your weapon.

EDIT:
Now that I think about it, I’ll test if it can still be “overruled” by another skill (like how you can overrule the Strike on Infiltrator’s Strike with CnD if timed right).
Will update accordingly.

[PUSH] Constant Pressure

[Teef][SoT] Daredevil

in Thief

Posted by: evilapprentice.6379

evilapprentice.6379

Bandit’s Defence Kicking part can be cancelled by all dodges (including the base dodge without a GM dodge selected) aswel as the stowing of your weapon.

EDIT:
Now that I think about it, I’ll test if it can still be “overruled” by another skill (like how you can overrule the Strike on Infiltrator’s Strike with CnD if timed right).
Will update accordingly.

Not trying to be rude, but this information is of little value – if I used BD, it’s partly (or entirely) because I wanted the block. If I was going to blow 50 endurance on a dodge anyway, it takes away a lot of the value of DB.

Regardless of whether or not you can dodge out of the kick, it should be redesigned to roll-over on block, or else it’s kind of a kittenty, limited skill that won’t find it’s way onto a thief’s bar most of the time.

If you’re a thief and haven’t
pre-ordered HOT at this point,
save yourself the money and don’t bother.

(edited by evilapprentice.6379)

[Teef][SoT] Daredevil

in Thief

Vornollo.5182

EDIT:
Will update accordingly.

Not trying to be rude, but this information is of little value – if I used BD, it’s partly because I wanted the block. If I was going to blow 50 endurance on a dodge anyway, it takes away a lot of the value of DB.

Regardless of whether or not you can dodge out of the kick, it should be redesigned to roll-over on block, or else it’s kind of a kittenty, limited skill that won’t find it’s way onto a thief’s bar most of the time.

Not rude, just pointless as it was a response to a post that mentioned the dodges as means of cancelling the animation.
At any rate, as I mentioned, can Stow to cancel the Block and the Kick keeping the block (if desired) and your 50 Endurance plus extra points for style, lol.

You can’t cancel the kick with another skill, tried it a number of times with a variety of/in timing.
If anything I’d suggest getting used to Stowing the kick.
After that it’s also easy to follow up with another skill almost instantly.

EDIT: Oh yeah… My preferred solution would be to add an Evade frame to the kicking part.

[PUSH] Constant Pressure

(edited by Vornollo.5182)