Theif Non Existent?!

Theif Non Existent?!

in Thief

Posted by: Lumbernuts.9726

Lumbernuts.9726

Maybe it’s just my server but I can never find any Theifs in WvW….. Are we really that bad compared to other classes?

Theif Non Existent?!

in Thief

Posted by: Mara.6782

Mara.6782

You can see them when they backstab you.

Theif Non Existent?!

in Thief

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

Of course you wont see any… they’re “perma-stealthed”.

The only way one knows about thieves is through word of mouth about how OP they are and that some friend/relative got backstabbed to death sometime ago… horrible horrible incident.

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

Theif Non Existent?!

in Thief

Posted by: Shiyo.3578

Shiyo.3578

Worst 1v1 class in the game. No reason to solo/roam WVW as anything but eng/necro/ele/warrior or do zerg fights as anything but ele/guardian/warrior/necro.

(edited by Shiyo.3578)

Theif Non Existent?!

in Thief

Posted by: Kurow.3076

Kurow.3076

It didn’t used to be…but constant whining by bad players, leading to nerfs on every single patch does that.

Theif Non Existent?!

in Thief

Lumbernuts.9726

Will we be getting a buff in the expansion? If not, i might aswell quit now.

Theif Non Existent?!

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

Just re-roll a warrior or a guard. Or wait for revenant.

Join the TEEFs!

Theif Non Existent?!

in Thief

Posted by: Vornollo.5182

Vornollo.5182

Well, the Risk vs Reward as a thief isn’t really worth it when you look at the same thing for other classes.
Thieves are imo the most fun to play, hence I stick to it, but yeah… You’re making a safer choice going for one of the other classes.

[PUSH] Constant Pressure

Theif Non Existent?!

in Thief

Posted by: godofcows.2451

godofcows.2451

i cry evrytiem
<3 15 chars <3

Theif Non Existent?!

in Thief

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

Aww so many scrub thieves crying, you can actually push 2 buttons not just autoattack and you might win against other scrub

Thieves are most OP class in 1 vs 1 these days.

Theif Non Existent?!

in Thief

Posted by: FlawlezZ.3178

FlawlezZ.3178

Aww so many scrub thieves crying, you can actually push 2 buttons not just autoattack and you might win against other scrub

obvious troll

Theif Non Existent?!

in Thief

Posted by: Jayden Ennok.3687

Jayden Ennok.3687

every thief is op for Ragnar, his guard cant kill them

Underworld Vabbi 1.5yr

Theif Non Existent?!

in Thief

Posted by: Narkodx.1472

Narkodx.1472

Same thread we have one guy saying they are useless in 1v1 and one guy saying they are op in 1v1

It is somewhere between those two

Theif Non Existent?!

in Thief

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

It’s decent [Read: It’s a class].

Garbage if you choose to play it that way, OP if you choose to play it that way.

Nobody’s going to say anything concrete, because frankly whenever a class has something remotely nice about it people run crying to the class discussion threads about how a class being convenient in a niche situation is unbalanced and too easy, and whenever a class has genuine deficiencies or would suffer in situations where it shouldn’t, it’s a L2P issue.

Anet has the metrics. If something is wrong with the amount of people playing and winning with certain classes, they’ll give credence to whatever is the most whined-about feature or lack and buff/nerf it for 6 months.

Eventually itll get nowhere.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

(edited by Azure The Heartless.3261)

Theif Non Existent?!

in Thief

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

Did I killed you? awww so much anger.

Theif Non Existent?!

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

Well clearly, that’s how things are. If you kill me, you’re OP. If I kill you, I’m OP. Duh.

Join the TEEFs!

Theif Non Existent?!

in Thief

Posted by: Simon.3794

Simon.3794

this really, if you roam as a thief in wvw, either you win, or no one wins
unless you are bad…and you will not get stomp by trains or zergs or teams either, you can even take on multiple enemies easier, or even stack stealth in enemy castle

i had a tons of fun staying in enemy castle and murdering afking enemies.

oh btw in dueling pvp server, easily half of the players are thieves.

and btw don’t say i dont know stuff, because im probably more experienced on thief then most of you here.

(edited by Simon.3794)

Theif Non Existent?!

in Thief

Lumbernuts.9726

Well, From what i’m reading on this topic, Your saying i should just reroll becuase theif aren’t getting better?

Theif Non Existent?!

in Thief

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

Well, From what i’m reading on this topic, Your saying i should just reroll becuase theif aren’t getting better?

Well, yes, thieves won’t get better – you might become better though, I will still main thief unless anet makes it really unplayable or forces me into a direction I don’t want to be, like not using stealth anymore etc.
Yes, I like stealth and I also like to fight against thieves.

Theif Non Existent?!

in Thief

Posted by: qualm like a bomb.6512

qualm like a bomb.6512

we only pick on rangers roll one of those i need more bags

Qualm – Commander
Grievance [GVNC] – Our drunken WvW is the kitten
Devona’s Rest – Forever Outnumbered & Kittened upon by Anet

Theif Non Existent?!

in Thief

Posted by: MrForz.1953

MrForz.1953

All jokes and ridiculous bragging aside, well. The Thieves are present and will remain present no matter the nerfs because of its general representation in theme and gameplay. Plus I wouldn’t underestimate one, if you tone down your expectations to the level of the average, underperforming Thief you meet in WvW, a good one will then drive you mad.

Disgruntled Charr Engineer and Thief – Jade Quarry.

Theif Non Existent?!

in Thief

Posted by: Grimwolf.7163

Grimwolf.7163

Thieves have gotten nerfed, sometimes quite heavily, in every patch since release.
If they’re too weak for you right now, don’t hold out. It’ll only continue downhill from here.
I nearly quit at one point because I got sick of being the dev team’s punching bag.
It isn’t even a question of viability at that point; it’s knowing that everyone literally is out to get you. Even the people who made the freakin’ game.

(edited by Grimwolf.7163)

Theif Non Existent?!

in Thief

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

Thieves have gotten nerfed, sometimes quite heavily, in every patch since release.
If they’re too weak for you right now, don’t hold out. It’ll only continue downhill from here.
I nearly quit at one point because I got sick of being the dev team’s punching bag.
It isn’t even a question of viability at that point; it’s knowing that everyone literally is out to get you. Even the people who made the freakin’ game.

(Warriors are in the same boat also)

Don’t reroll if you like the class. The nerfs will continue to come because people cannot handle the core mechanics of the class, but eventually Anet will realize that the players complaining about thief don’t want it balanced, they want it Gone.

If you would like to be a good thief, its possible. It will just take more work than people are content on putting in. That work translates into skill though, and that is something that is rare among the competitive community that believes that builds are the only thing they need to put work into to be viable.

Embrace the difficulty. surpass it and do well. If you ever get to the point where you find your potential capped because your class has been bubble wrapped to incompetency, you can move to something else and take that skill with you.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

Theif Non Existent?!

in Thief

Shiyo.3578

Warrior is one of the best classes in the game for group pvp and 1v1.

Theif Non Existent?!

in Thief

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

You can swap to Revenant since it will have something similar to initiative and can shadowstep.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Theif Non Existent?!

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

All jokes and ridiculous bragging aside, well. The Thieves are present and will remain present no matter the nerfs because of its general representation in theme and gameplay. Plus I wouldn’t underestimate one, if you tone down your expectations to the level of the average, underperforming Thief you meet in WvW, a good one will then drive you mad.

Yup, that’s very true, I doubt they will be removing/deleting professions. As for the second bit, also true as I don’t see them removing stealth from the game… You don’t have to be “good” to CnD troll someone till they’re pulling their hairs out. (Exaggerating the fact that people seem to be maddened by, not the skill of their opponent, but the “cheap” tactics they use)

Join the TEEFs!

Theif Non Existent?!

in Thief

Lumbernuts.9726

Well, i heard were getting Rifle as a new weapon and specialization , Will that make theifs better?

Theif Non Existent?!

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

Well, i heard were getting Rifle as a new weapon and specialization , Will that make theifs better?

Probably marginally.
All I can see it giving is a 1200 range weapon option.

Join the TEEFs!

Theif Non Existent?!

in Thief

Posted by: Kurow.3076

Kurow.3076

(Warriors are in the same boat also)

Don’t reroll if you like the class. The nerfs will continue to come because people cannot handle the core mechanics of the class, but eventually Anet will realize that the players complaining about thief don’t want it balanced, they want it Gone.

If you would like to be a good thief, its possible. It will just take more work than people are content on putting in. That work translates into skill though, and that is something that is rare among the competitive community that believes that builds are the only thing they need to put work into to be viable.

Embrace the difficulty. surpass it and do well. If you ever get to the point where you find your potential capped because your class has been bubble wrapped to incompetency, you can move to something else and take that skill with you.

…or…here’s a better idea…just hear me out now:

instead of wasting a colossal amount of time to do all that to realize they are “bubble wrapped to incompetency”, they can read the comments from other thief players, and save themselves that time…to go re-roll a class that won’t get kitten on every single patch (sometimes quite unnecessarily).

No, it won’t.

The weapon is completely unnecessary on the class. Instead of giving rifle, they should FIX P/P.

On a side note: Has anyone ever seen a dev play a thief, excluding when they previewed the Queen’s Gauntlet…cause that thing was a disaster. It was some intense skillful P/P 3 spam gameplay.

(edited by Kurow.3076)

Theif Non Existent?!

in Thief

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

Thief isn’t bad, people are just upset that you can’t spike someone down the way you used to. It actually takes a little more skill to fight. You have a crap ton of evades, blinds, interrupts, and easy access to stealth. Once you learn how to use those it is almost impossible to die in a 1v1 fight.

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

Theif Non Existent?!

in Thief

Jana.6831

Thief isn’t bad, people are just upset that you can’t spike someone down the way you used to. It actually takes a little more skill to fight. You have a crap ton of evades, blinds, interrupts, and easy access to stealth. Once you learn how to use those it is almost impossible to die in a 1v1 fight.

No, but nice try to justify the nerfs =)

Theif Non Existent?!

in Thief

Shiyo.3578

Thief is intentionally designed to be the worst 1v1 class in the game by the devs.

Theif Non Existent?!

in Thief

Jim Hunter.6821

Thief is intentionally designed to be the worst 1v1 class in the game by the devs.

Well then they failed because it is incredibly easy to reset the fight and hit your opponent over and over until they make a mistake or have needed skills on cooldown.

LGN

Theif Non Existent?!

in Thief

Jana.6831

Well then they failed because it is incredibly easy to reset the fight and hit your opponent over and over until they make a mistake or have needed skills on cooldown.

Yeah, sure, my skills have no cooldowns, I can reset whenever I like =)

Theif Non Existent?!

in Thief

Jim Hunter.6821

…. Two thirds of the skills a thief carries don’t have cooldowns, they have initiative cost. We have multiple useful stun breaks that are also gap openers/closers, we can pretty much just shrug off immobilize and we can maintain stealth long enough to fully heal without ever leaving combat.

When fighting multiple people they might be able to lock you down eventually but if you can’t escape 1 person you need to work on your game.

LGN

Theif Non Existent?!

in Thief

Posted by: fireflyry.7023

fireflyry.7023

Ahhh… the memories of assassin threads from GW1 are flooding over me as I read this.

If your having adventurer problems I feel bad for you son, I dodged 99 arrows till my knee took one.

Theif Non Existent?!

in Thief

Shiyo.3578

No, thief is the worst 1v1 class in the entire game. If you’re losing to a thief it’s you, unless they’re s/d or p/d, but you can just run from p/d and they can’t stop you, and s/d is extremely weak in group pvp and does very low damage. Can probably run away from s/d too, honestly, you’ll probably get to a tower/keep before they can kill you.

Theif Non Existent?!

in Thief

Jim Hunter.6821

No, thief is the worst 1v1 class in the entire game. If you’re losing to a thief it’s you, unless they’re s/d or p/d, but you can just run from p/d and they can’t stop you, and s/d is extremely weak in group pvp and does very low damage. Can probably run away from s/d too, honestly, you’ll probably get to a tower/keep before they can kill you.

So now they are the worst as long as they aren’t running 2 of the most common thief builds?

Care to explain why they are the worst 1v1 class? Are you running around with fireworks instead of weapons? Oh wait, even fireworks are unfair in a 1v1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z-d9vGO52E you must be running around with the birthday blaster.

LGN

Theif Non Existent?!

in Thief

Narkodx.1472

nope… you’re bad and that’s ok

Just pick a different class

Theif Non Existent?!

in Thief

Shiyo.3578

So now they are the worst as long as they aren’t running 2 of the most common thief builds?

Care to explain why they are the worst 1v1 class? Are you running around with fireworks instead of weapons? Oh wait, even fireworks are unfair in a 1v1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z-d9vGO52E you must be running around with the birthday blaster.

You can run from p/d, s/d takes a decade to kill you, has no team fight potential, and you can probably run from it before it kills you as well.

Theif Non Existent?!

in Thief

Jim Hunter.6821

You can run from p/d, s/d takes a decade to kill you, has no team fight potential, and you can probably run from it before it kills you as well.

So your argument that a class has the worst 1v1 potential is that it doesn’t have team fight potential? Are you drunk right now?

LGN

Theif Non Existent?!

in Thief

Jana.6831

…. Two thirds of the skills a thief carries don’t have cooldowns, they have initiative cost. We have multiple useful stun breaks that are also gap openers/closers, we can pretty much just shrug off immobilize and we can maintain stealth long enough to fully heal without ever leaving combat.

When fighting multiple people they might be able to lock you down eventually but if you can’t escape 1 person you need to work on your game.

The skills depending on initative won’t let you reset a fight. That was my point.
Play thief some more to learn the class, maybe?

Theif Non Existent?!

in Thief

Jim Hunter.6821

The skills depending on initative won’t let you reset a fight. That was my point.
Play thief some more to learn the class, maybe?

I’ve played my thief enough to learn how to manage my initiative in a 1v1. If you can’t do that then you are being outplayed, don’t blame the whole profession because you are getting outplayed.

LGN

Theif Non Existent?!

in Thief

Jana.6831

I’ve played my thief enough to learn how to manage my initiative in a 1v1. If you can’t do that then you are being outplayed, don’t blame the whole profession because you are getting outplayed.

I very much doubt that.

Theif Non Existent?!

in Thief

Jim Hunter.6821

I very much doubt that.

Provide a valid reason why thieves are bad in a 1v1 fight. All you are doing is claiming they are bad because you said so. If you fight like you argue then it is no surprise you can’t 1v1.

LGN

Theif Non Existent?!

in Thief

Jana.6831

I very much doubt that.

Provide a valid reason why thieves are bad in a 1v1 fight. All you are doing is claiming they are bad because you said so. If you fight like you argue then it is no surprise you can’t 1v1.

True in this thread I answered you just like you claimed – so you say “They can beat everybody (without giving any reason)” I say "They can’t (also without giving a reason because you gave none and because you don’t seem to know the class, so it would be an aweful lot of explaining and that for someone who obviously doesn’t want to hear it (you)).

Theif Non Existent?!

in Thief

Jim Hunter.6821

I very much doubt that.

True in this thread I answered you just like you claimed – so you say “They can beat everybody (without giving any reason)” I say "They can’t (also without giving a reason because you gave none and because you don’t seem to know the class, so it would be an aweful lot of explaining and that for someone who obviously doesn’t want to hear it (you)).

From 2 separate posts
“multiple useful stun breaks that are also gap openers/closers, we can pretty much just shrug off immobilize and we can maintain stealth long enough to fully heal without ever leaving combat.”

" a crap ton of evades, blinds, interrupts, and easy access to stealth."

I get the impression that you believe the only way to 1v1 is to go 100% glass and instantly burst someone down, and since the crit nerf that isn’t easy to do. What you fail to realize is the best 1v1 classes are the ones with high sustain. Thieves sustain comes from using hit and run tactics which thieves are amazing at for all the reasons I listed above.

Feel free to respond with something valid.

LGN

Theif Non Existent?!

in Thief

Jana.6831

I very much doubt that.

From 2 separate posts
“multiple useful stun breaks that are also gap openers/closers, we can pretty much just shrug off immobilize and we can maintain stealth long enough to fully heal without ever leaving combat.”

I get the impression that you believe the only way to 1v1 is to go 100% glass and instantly burst someone down, and since the crit nerf that isn’t easy to do. What you fail to realize is the best 1v1 classes are the ones with high sustain. Thieves sustain comes from using hit and run tactics which thieves are amazing at for all the reasons I listed above.

Ask me as a former soldier’s thief and ask any thief who tried to survive (me) as a non glasscannon – you can’t survive as a tanky thief since april last year.
Not every thief has got access to all these things you’ve mentioned, so you have to sacrifice stuff in order to get other stuff. I know that that’s the case for all classes but a thief who’s got stun breaker, stun, interrupt and teleports has got no condi removal. A thief with lots of blinds has got condi removal but only one possible interrupt (basilisk venom) – So I think that thief has got to sacrifice too much to get some utility and that’s deadly against some other classes in a 1vs1 scenario (engineer, elementalist, medi guard Edit: Oh, I forgot necro. Some are rather good and know what they’re doing and in that case the stolen skill isn’t enough).
Better?

(edited by Jana.6831)

Theif Non Existent?!

in Thief

Jim Hunter.6821

I very much doubt that.

From 2 separate posts

Ask me as a former soldier’s thief and ask any thief who tried to survive (me) as a non glasscannon – you can’t survive as a tanky thief since april last year.
Not every thief has got access to all these things you’ve mentioned, so you have to sacrifice stuff in order to get other stuff. I know that that’s the case for all classes but a thief who’s got stun breaker, stun, interrupt and teleports has got no condi removal. A thief with lots of blinds has got condi removal but only one possible interrupt (basilisk venom) – So I think that thief has got to sacrifice too much to get some utility and that’s deadly against some other classes in a 1vs1 scenario (engineer, elementalist, medi guard Edit: Oh, I forgot necro. Some are rather good and know what they’re doing and in that case the stolen skill isn’t enough).
Better?

It would be better if it was true. I mean just look at the D/P roaming build on meta battle and you have access to every single one of those things you just mentioned, all in 1 build.

I was joking before but I am really starting to think some of you are just running around with the birthday blaster.

LGN

Theif Non Existent?!

in Thief

Narkodx.1472

I very much doubt that.

From 2 separate posts

Better?

Did you just say SOLDIERS Thief? LMFAO