Thief PVE a joke? yes, it is.

in Thief

Posted by: Zepidel.5349

Zepidel.5349

Even if the thief is not the best support or dpser out there, who cares again? There’s no end game here, but for some reason people need to finish the content in the minimun time possible, even if that means rejecting any player that doesn’t play a zerker warrior/support guardian. Grind for the grinders, I guess…

“We need dem goldz to buy our legendariez, that are no different from our exotics! Why? Coz i need to show my e -peepee off in Lions Arch!
I can’t stand losing 5 mins of my life, coz mr. thief there can’t hit as hard as my 100b!”

Sigh…No wonder I have stopped playing PVE since Cursed Shores

If i could send a message back in time it would say “Just play SPvP, PvE is a time gated carrot on a stick and WvWvW is beyond boring” … with that said if they dont do anything for spvp this patch ill be putting this game down for a while…playing the same map everyday for a week and everyone running bunker builds is getting prett old.

in Thief

Posted by: Kyrion.2749

Kyrion.2749

If thieves already have to justify their usefulness in a group, it only means that they are in a bad position to begin with.

Sure, you can be very imaginative with thieves and pull some rabbits from your hat… Voilá!!! a venom share!!!, Tah dah!!! a comboblast!! … But at the end, that’s everything they are… White, cute rabbits from a hat.

Curiously, no one mentioned Smoke Screen, which is one of the few skills that actually has a noticeable impact on many bosses. Even so, it pales against the Guardian’s Walls.

in Thief

Posted by: Panacea.4927

Panacea.4927

If thieves already have to justify their usefulness in a group, it only means that they are in a bad position to begin with.

Sure, you can be very imaginative with thieves and pull some rabbits from your hat… Voilá!!! a venom share!!!, Tah dah!!! a comboblast!! … But at the end, that’s everything they are… White, cute rabbits from a hat.

Now I want a bunny outfit for my thief :/

in Thief

Posted by: Dasorine.1964

Dasorine.1964

Well lets just put it like this:

You either think PvE content is something that should be done as fast as possible and thus anything outside pure dps is unwanted, at which point thief is fine you can pull good damage and are in the top group of damage classes.

Or you think PvE content should be enjoyed in specs you like playing and think support is a useful thing to have in PvE in which case thief is fine as they have a bunch of different ways they can build to support a team and can bring a fair bit to a group that others cannot (they may bring one or two aspects that a thief can but they can’t bring all of it in the same way a thief can bring something from other classes but not all)

If the complaint is that some professions are seen as the “best” at a specific thing (warriors best dps, guardians best boon givers etc) then what do you expect? everyone to be equal at everything? then whats the point in different professions?

Disclaimer: This does not mean I don’t beleive there are things that aren’t quite right with thieves or that I think we are gods that need no improvements, it means that I don’t beleive we are “a joke” in either aspect like some people beleive.

(edited by Dasorine.1964)

in Thief

Kyrion.2749

If the complaint is that some professions are seen as the “best” at a specific thing (warriors best dps, guardians best boon givers etc) then what do you expect? everyone to be equal at everything? then whats the point in different professions?

At least I expect acknowledgment for the class I play, and not be considered a hindrance or dead weight. That consideration is totally subjective, true, but if you can percieve a given trend in the community which believes that thieves are not totally desirable for groups, that may be an early warning signal that something is amiss on that class.

A problem that no MMORPG has managed to solve yet is that everything in-game is based around efficiency. You want to get loot in the most efficient way, travel in the most efficient way, solve fights in the most efficient way… And the most efficient way leaves no room for ‘Jack of all trades’ or ‘Versatile specs’.
If you need damage, you’ll take the most damaging class, if you need healing you’ll take the best healer. As simple as that. A class that can do ‘almost the same’ as another class, at the end, is not the most efficient way of doing things.

But hey look! I can deal decent DPS, have some situational support, and I can bring 1 control skill… Sorry, efficiency demands that the group will take the class that does the best DPS, the class that gives best suppport, and the class that controls the best. Because they key concept in efficiency is ‘specialization’ in your job.

Thus, it’s useless for a thief to specialize in damage if he cannot match a warrior. It’s useless for a thief to specialize in support if he never will be the same as a guardian, and useless for a thief to specialize in control if he’s not able to do the things an Engineer or an Ele do.

That’s why warriors are preferred for straight-mindless dungeons like CoF. They are plain, raw DPS effective. And they don’t need tricks, smoke, mirrors or rabbits as thieves do. They simply are the best designed for that job. They are the most efficient.

Thus, thieves will be wanted for dungeons as soon as they can do things in the most efficient way to end a dungeon. That means that all the content should be rewritten in order to make all classes shine in a given and desirable ‘efficiency’ aspect.

But the problem with the current system is that there are only 3 variables, Damage, Control, and Support. Thus, there’s only room for one class to be the best at Damage, room for one class to be the best at Support, and room for one class to be the best at Control. The other 5 classes will be only ‘alternatives’ or ‘substitutes’, able to do the job, yes, but less efficient than the ‘best’ ones.

(edited by Kyrion.2749)

in Thief

Posted by: Dasorine.1964

Dasorine.1964

problem is thieves aren’t the only ones that get ignored, when it comes down to it most just want 5 warriors, not because everyone else is bad or lacks support but because they want to farm efficiently.

The fact that its seen that unless your as good as others are at their specific things the stuff we’re good at specifically doesn’t matter.

We can bring a lot of support if used right (not just situationally) and we can bring it mostly without sacrificing other things, yes guardians are best at giving boons does that mean anyone else should not bother using anything that gives boons? no it doesn’t.

Those that actively kick or leave teams that have thieves in are those that only want 5 warriors or some other dps only team formation, this does NOT mean thieves aren’t wanted what it means is that for farming people only want the 1 specific set up they deem best, this is not exclusive to thieves and is not a problem with thieves but rather a problem with pve and warriors 100b move.

If we change the thief to be the best dps then warriors will no longer be wanted if we make them the best overall support whoever people deem to be best support will no longer be wanted etc, if we change it so everyone is equally good at everything then everyone is the same profession.

There is no fix for people who think grinding loot is how you play the game and if you think thats how the game is meant to be played why would you roll a profession you already know isn’t the most efficient at what your aiming for?

I mean if thats all that really mattered there would be nothing but warriors in pve with maybe a few mesmer.

I’ve seen groups kick engineers more than I have seen them kick thieves, the simple fact is that any given class will be deemed not as good as another for some reason or other, the main complaint I see from people in teams about thieves is how many run full glass cannon and instantly die outside that I’ve never had a complaint about being a thief. Is that a problem with the profession? no its a problem with idiots who roll full glass cannon and then don’t dodge.

The other issue of course is people who read horror stories and believe its truth, someone told someone that a thief dies quickly and comes with no support and that person believed them without actually checking to see that thieves can come with a lot and can survive just as well if not better than others. (not helped at all that a lot of people roll thieves and think all they can do is high dps without actually thinking, why theres so many backstab/heartseeker only thieves around)

(edited by Dasorine.1964)

in Thief

Posted by: bomber.1540

bomber.1540

@dasorine your last post is 100% correct… Thieves aren’t bad at all in pve but the 15 yr old speed farmers only want warriors, due to 100b..cos this means they will fit in 20 cof p1 runs for the day instead of 19.

For Every one else, thieves are no prob

in Thief

Posted by: Zepidel.5349

Zepidel.5349

@dasorine your last post is 100% correct… Thieves aren’t bad at all in pve but the 15 yr old speed farmers only want warriors, due to 100b..cos this means they will fit in 20 cof p1 runs for the day instead of 19.

For Every one else, thieves are no prob

its more like 15 instead of 20. also u mad.

in Thief

Posted by: Enjoyluck.2618

Enjoyluck.2618

I was thinking this was about fractale but it seems you talk about cof. Cof will be nerved rest assured.

in Thief

Posted by: Geiir.7603

Geiir.7603

Thief is bad in PvE? Seriously?! I’ve played thief since beta and I still feel like I’m the one with most utility for my team. I’m usually the last man standing in any group or boss fight (we actually did a run of path 3 CoF where people started to bet of wether or not I was going to die any time in the dungeon. My entire group wiped except for me, several times).

I can spam combo finishers and fields, I can give my team regeneration, stealth, fury, might, swiftness and vigor. I can blind, poison, weaken, bleed, cripple, stun and daze my enemies without taking any damage.

I’ve done several speed runs with only thieves in dungeons and done them way faster than with warriors and eles groups. We can stealth skip what we want, we have insane combos, dps and survivability. So tell me again that thieves suck in pve….

But yes, there’s a common problem that people see a thief and just leave…. This is because off all the bad thieves running full zerker builds and offer no support what so ever. Spec for sustained damage and survivability with some team utilities and people will start pm you day after day because they need help or just want you with them

Melder – Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Strayhand.8216

Strayhand.8216

As I see, the main reasons why thief “is a joke” in PvE are the following:

- PvE is easy
- warrior is better

Ok, nice logic…

By the way, following your “DPS is everything” logic, if we would be better at dps than warriors, wouldn’t that be rendering warriors useless? Then would you go to warrior forums and whine about your warrior being a joke? I’m just trying to understand the logic here.

in Thief

Posted by: Geiir.7603

Geiir.7603

As I see, the main reasons why thief “is a joke” in PvE are the following:

- PvE is easy
- warrior is better

Ok, nice logic…

By the way, following your “DPS is everything” logic, if we would be better at dps than warriors, wouldn’t that be rendering warriors useless? Then would you go to warrior forums and whine about your warrior being a joke? I’m just trying to understand the logic here.

If I understood you right I agree with what you’re saying. Thief is suppose to be the sneaky profession. We are the ones going behind enemy lines and hitting them where it hit hardest. So we should not be able to out-DPS a warrior in sustained damage, but our burst is high as it’s supposed to be. One thing that the groups I’ve been playing with have done is that I’m the one taking the adds while the rest of the group focus on killing the boss (if the boss have adds). Other than that I’m utilizing every single combo field with my short bow for healing and might stacking on the team.

Melder – Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Konrad.9587

Konrad.9587

Stealth: The duration of Revealed has been increased to 4 seconds when coming out of stealth via an attack.

And here goes thieves dps:
||
||
||
V

But no worries, warrior banners will give 800 hp and 4% crit chance more, it will make up for the loss of thieves dps…… Ehm, what loss? With no thieves in a team, there is no loss…

in Thief

Kyrion.2749

There we go…

Backstab rotation totally destroyed and Caltrops -5 seconds duration. ROFL

Thanks God they buffed Warrior’s banners, otherwise we would lose a ton of DPS XDDDDD

Oh!, and corrosive traps now works with shadow trap to apply vulnerability!!!! Supercool!!!! This way our target now has an indicator that he stepped on the trap and he’s marked XDDDDDD ROFLCOPTER

in Thief

Posted by: TheKillerAngel.3596

TheKillerAngel.3596

I think you guys are being a little vague with what you mean by PvE, since that is a pretty big category. Do you mean open world PvE? Dungeons? Exploration? I’d say the thief is pretty decent at open world PvE and exploration, but reaching an equal level of effectiveness in dungeons to other strong classes requires a lot more effort.

Think stacking and skipping trash is cheap?
Read: Playing to Win.
Guide: How to play a Mesmer in dungeons.

(edited by TheKillerAngel.3596)

in Thief

Posted by: Darkjoy.3092

Darkjoy.3092

I am new at the thief class (L26) and to be honest, it is an awesome class, you have got great melee as ranged attacks. This isn´t some other mindless one-button slaughter house madness. You actually need to think ahead of your attacks/tactics, you need to set up the right traits and skills for your play style. I still don´t know what I am doing in every situation, but I still manage. Go search the internet for info of this class, and try using some of those tips/tricks to see how it works out for YOU!

Ah the young ones are our future!

in Thief

Posted by: Enjoyluck.2618

Enjoyluck.2618

That nerf >:). Is nothing to worry about in wvsw.

in Thief

Kyrion.2749

@TheKillerAngel:

PvE includes any part of the game where these patch changes actually have an impact.

Everything else is PvP

in Thief

Posted by: Vilkata.9078

Vilkata.9078

Sigh… After this nerf thieves are a joke in pve now. 33% dps reduction for a lot of builds…. I guess I could go to s/p… Wait, they already nerfed that by 15%… Um. -trades in daggers for pom poms-

in Thief

Posted by: Darkjoy.3092

Darkjoy.3092

How do all these thieves crying about their dagger damage make time to pull out the short bow to blast finish anything? It’s our #1 PVE strength yet people are worried about back stabbing.. sounds pretty fail

in Thief

Posted by: randomfightfan.4091

randomfightfan.4091

Well that patch officially sucks. I stand by all my points for what they were at the time but now I just… idk.

I hope everybody is just overreacting but on paper this nerf is disgusting.

Check out my page for some good thiefisms :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/randomfightfan/videos?view=0&flow=grid

in Thief

Posted by: Keyska.4105

Keyska.4105

the solution is getting rid of guardians from the game *cough They are almost a 1 man trinity…well as much as close as were gunna get. Rangers have the same issue; guardians just do it all better. As for warriors i still remember how they would always cry because parties wont take them… All in all Anet is getting around to the balance far to slow; many of the classes were in good standings right before release; they then suddenly go nerf crazy… Sure many were OP but they all were closer lol; now there is to much of a gap between classes and you can’t play “you’re way”; they said we could, because they brake everything that you come up with… So now by braking metas they have eventually broken EVERYTHING. Bad traits, etc. And they say the don’t want to add traits or skills until they first reach balance…At which time would cause imbalance anyway…
Just like wow…O well find balance one day; which is impossible when you changed classes 500xs a month.
The need to brake skills; Pve. Pvp versions; its obvious they are not so hot at this balance thing, and trying to have the cake and eat it to by keeping them the same is only making it harder for them. Pvp nerfs brake the game for Pve and Pve for Pvp etc.

(edited by Keyska.4105)

in Thief

Posted by: phor.7952

phor.7952

Aegis = Stops 1 hit on you, generally not applyable that often
Blind = Stops 1 hit from the boss, reapplyable almost constantly.
Not sure how aegis is better…

Because trash is easy and bosses all have Unshakable.

Unshakable – Gains defiant when targeted by crowd control skills. Blind is 10% effective. Weakness and vulnerability last 50% less time.

Blind only works vs champions and bosses 10% of the time even if you constantly apply it. It’s a dice roll. Aegis works every time it’s applied.

in Thief

Posted by: Brtiva.9721

Brtiva.9721

the solution is getting rid of guardians from the game *cough They are almost a 1 man trinity…well as much as close as were gunna get. Rangers have the same issue; guardians just do it all better. As for warriors i still remember how they would always cry because parties wont take them… All in all Anet is getting around to the balance far to slow; many of the classes were in good standings right before release; they then suddenly go nerf crazy… Sure many were OP but they all were closer lol; now there is to much of a gap between classes and you can’t play “you’re way”; they said we could, because they brake everything that you come up with… So now by braking metas they have eventually broken EVERYTHING. Bad traits, etc. And they say the don’t want to add traits or skills until they first reach balance…At which time would cause imbalance anyway…
Just like wow…O well find balance one day; which is impossible when you changed classes 500xs a month.
The need to brake skills; Pve. Pvp versions; its obvious they are not so hot at this balance thing, and trying to have the cake and eat it to by keeping them the same is only making it harder for them. Pvp nerfs brake the game for Pve and Pve for Pvp etc.

It is always like this and it makes little sense to me. PvP and PvE just have different requirements and balancing them together is a pipe dream. Both suffer from it most likely, and defnitely one will.

in Thief

Posted by: Sinner.7139

Sinner.7139

How often do you see “LF1M thief for …”? I see warrior guardian, elementalist, mesmer and occasionally some other class, but I don’t think I have ever seen someone wanting or needing a thief.

The reason is obvious, and has been stated many times before: thief has no place in PvE, period. Its a redundant class, and its spot in a group is always better filled by another profession.

in Thief

Posted by: DanH.5879

DanH.5879

How often do you see “LF1M thief for …”? I see warrior guardian, elementalist, mesmer and occasionally some other class, but I don’t think I have ever seen someone wanting or needing a thief.

The reason is obvious, and has been stated many times before: thief has no place in PvE, period. Its a redundant class, and its spot in a group is always better filled by another profession.

and we are still nerfed to hell and back in PVE … if the reason is to kill the class in PvE entirely, please do not bleed us to death with small nerfs EVERY patch.

at the moment i am creating a guardian, because it is the most loved class in PvE, along with warriors and mesmers.

(edited by DanH.5879)

in Thief

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

Thief is great in PvE, just need to learn to play it properly.

in Thief

DanH.5879

Thief is great in PvE, just need to learn to play it properly.

i think your are blind or something, whenever ppl see 2 thiefs in a party, they leave. and there is nothing you can do about it. however, pugs love to have 2-3 guardians in a party…

in Thief

Posted by: amok.1804

amok.1804

did fraktals 20+ yesterday with 2 glasscannon thiefs and a condi thief
Wasn´t a perfect setup but we had no problems.

thief in pve simply requires more skill than considering pvp/wvw

most ppl suck more at being a brainafk class like warrior than on being squishy like the thief

but the truth will never be revealed.

in Thief

Posted by: Sifu.6527

Sifu.6527

did fraktals 20+ yesterday with 2 glasscannon thiefs and a condi thief
Wasn´t a perfect setup but we had no problems.

thief in pve simply requires more skill than considering pvp/wvw

most ppl suck more at being a brainafk class like warrior than on being squishy like the thief

but the truth will never be revealed.

And you can run a dungeon with 5 rangers, 5 necros, 5 bunker guardian, etc. Doesn’t require more skill to play, just more time spent in a dungeon. No one is saying it cannot be done. People are saying it is not effective as per se warriors…While they are getting buffed, nerf dps took a hit.

in Thief

Posted by: Zivsof.3746

Zivsof.3746

I think the real task for Thiefs is Fractals lvl 20+, in my opinion they are harder then any other dungeons and top Pve thing. As warrior I was with some thiefs and it was fine. and good with the degear part.

in Thief

Posted by: Grounder.7381

Grounder.7381

you can run a dungeon with 5 rangers, 5 necros, 5 bunker guardian, etc. Doesn’t require more skill to play, just more time spent in a dungeon. No one is saying it cannot be done. People are saying it is not effective as per se warriors…While they are getting buffed, nerf dps took a hit.

all bunker guardians will have a very hard time at higher lvl grawl shaman..just sayin…

in Thief

Posted by: DrixTrix.7168

DrixTrix.7168

Good Thief’s i absolutely love in my party.

as someone else said anyway no content in the game is really ‘’omg you cant come’’ material, anyone like this your lucky not to have in your party and would only bring the team down with;

‘’omg your a noob, report him’’

‘’noooob you died’’

‘’omg im leaving’’

‘’you all suck’’

‘’i know a shortcut……….what you all died? ’’ <- when the shortcut is really a stupid cut.

etc etc your lucky not to have that in the party

in Thief

Posted by: Crawford.4135

Crawford.4135

Lol, PVE folks always make me laugh. “You cant be in our party coz ur a thief!1”. Yeah, like any content in this game is hard enough to not be done by an entire group of the same class.

It serious amuses me, that some people still have this vision from past games (aka, game where you have the holybullkittenrinity). It’s just sad, really.

Now, about the thief: there’s no way it’s not viable. It doesn’t have “worse healing” nor “less support”/“tanking ability”. It all depends on how you build it. Just to give some examples:

Worse Healing:
- For yourself
Signet of Malice + Healing Food + Black Powder (x/P build). You’ll barely take any damage from non bosses mobs and even if you do, you’ll heal all the way through it (malice OP!1)

For group:
Venom Shared Heal ooooor you can always combo Black Powder + Cluster Bomb for AoE invi (+Regeneration traited). Plus, you have acess to Shadow Refuge, which is neat to revive your partners.

-Less support
Caltrops (aoe cripple)/ Smoke Screen / Shadow Refuge / Blinding Powder/ Black Powder (strongest skill against non boss mobs, imo) + the already mentioned venom sharer build, for your venoms.

-No tanking ability
Just build for toughness/blinding and heal. You can easily be the “tanker” of your party.

I could go on and try to come with more examples, but i’m not in the mood to it. Anyway, I think you’ve got the idea…

tl;dr
People being ignorant when it comes to chose classes for PVE, like it matters, lol.

When you said “Black Powder” I stopped reading and realized you have not done enough PVE in this game to realize that ability blows for bosses that MOVE constantly.

I am S/P and I use every ability there is in that build. When Thieves hit Fractals 40+ the game starts to die for them. We are horrible at those levels in Fractals. We do not have good survival like other classes.

An a friendly reminder: while I can spec heals in stealth, I can’t defend myself in stealth like other classes can out of stealth. Something is wrong with the class in PvE.

ArenaNet is terrified to fix us because of the massive complaints out class has received since the games launch. I have thought about quitting or making a Guardian since they are OP in every aspect.

in Thief

DanH.5879

i don’t think anyone cares at this point, i guess i need to start grinding for the warrior…

in Thief

Posted by: Wolfield.9812

Wolfield.9812

I find two thieves bring nothing more than 1 thief can to the party and any other class would be more welcome than a second thief. With other classes this isn’t the case. I have been known not to join a group with another thief since its easy to find groups and no point them not having a more varied class mix.

in Thief

Posted by: Tulisin.6945

Tulisin.6945

Aegis = Stops 1 hit on you, generally not applyable that often
Blind = Stops 1 hit from the boss, reapplyable almost constantly.
Not sure how aegis is better…

Because trash is easy and bosses all have Unshakable.

Unshakable – Gains defiant when targeted by crowd control skills. Blind is 10% effective. Weakness and vulnerability last 50% less time.

Blind only works vs champions and bosses 10% of the time even if you constantly apply it. It’s a dice roll. Aegis works every time it’s applied.

This. Thief support is well-designed on the thief end, with frequent access to powerful conditions like Weakness and Blind. What is broken is that all meaningful fights (bosses) mitigate those conditions into uselessness while doing absolutely nothing to their Boon counterparts (Vigor/Aegis). Thieves have few options because of poor content design decisions, not poor thief design decisions.

in Thief

Posted by: XII.9401

XII.9401

I agree. Buff thieves.

in Thief

Posted by: Grimwolf.7163

Grimwolf.7163

I think the real task for Thiefs is Fractals lvl 20+, in my opinion they are harder then any other dungeons and top Pve thing. As warrior I was with some thiefs and it was fine. and good with the degear part.

Hey.

….

This isn’t the Necromancer forums.

in Thief

Posted by: Brassnautilus.2941

Brassnautilus.2941

Did you know that the thief can spam Cluster Bomb to get 25 stacks of might to the entire party or heal the entire party with water field?

thieves have more utility than a warrior

just because you can blast finish waterfield doesn’t mean kitten, you can’t produce a kitten waterfield can you? Finishing other people’s fields and call that what you bring to the table EL OH EL…

wars can give perma fury, that alone is more than a thief as much as dps concern. Not to mention they do twice the amount of dmg IN AOE, banners, condi removal (for the team, not just himself) through soldier rune, invul tanking, and that thing called a rez banner…

PLEASE…

in Thief

Posted by: randomfightfan.4091

randomfightfan.4091

Did you know that the thief can spam Cluster Bomb to get 25 stacks of might to the entire party or heal the entire party with water field?

thieves have more utility than a warrior

just because you can blast finish waterfield doesn’t mean kitten, you can’t produce a kitten waterfield can you? Finishing other people’s fields and call that what you bring to the table EL OH EL…

wars can give perma fury, that alone is more than a thief as much as dps concern. Not to mention they do twice the amount of dmg IN AOE, banners, condi removal (for the team, not just himself) through soldier rune, invul tanking, and that thing called a rez banner…

PLEASE…

someone sounds mad. Sure warrior does more aoe damage than thief but other than grawl, what boss in this game needs melee aoe? Lupi doesn’t but is probably your best argument. I guess you really do have us beat in AC p1. Don’t even try to use trash mobs as an excuse though. Blind field > hundred blades vs melee trash.

The 1 thing warriors have over thieves is that warrior is an easy to play class so there isn’t a negative stigma towards your class. That is all. Thank you for the fury and might but those things don’t make you unique, they are just nice bonuses that come with your class (and many other classes).

Your best point is that we can’t make our own water or fire fields. It’s sad that anet nerfed the consumables so now we can’t make our own fields to help the team Now we have to just take advantage of our ally fields but sadly, even if we are there and ready for the fields, the allies don’t use them right, or the thief doesn’t react to them quick enough. All that can be resolved with some healthy communication though.

Check out my page for some good thiefisms :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/randomfightfan/videos?view=0&flow=grid

(edited by randomfightfan.4091)

in Thief

Posted by: Azraeel.1238

Azraeel.1238

Warriors are warriors, and thieves are thieves, pretty much obvious isn’t it? Why compare the two? If you want to be useful in dungeons as a thief put up some toughness so that you survive boss fights, and don’t forget you are by far the best resurrecter, whip up that stealth and revive the fallen/dead. If they aren’t grateful for that I don’t know what would.

We, as thieves, still got good single target damage, and we can burst any single target faster than any other class. Our AOE isn’t too shabby as well, shortbow’s cluster bombs is just awesome!

As for not having enough party support, I would rather have a guardian over any other class. The rest, if they know their class well, they would do fine!

80 Necromancer (Main) | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 80 Warrior
Engineer and Elementalist in progress…

(edited by Azraeel.1238)

in Thief

Posted by: Tulisin.6945

Tulisin.6945

Warriors are warriors, and thieves are thieves, pretty much obvious isn’t it? Why compare the two?

Because in the absence of real role-based group composition, all professions are directly comparable. It is the blessing and the curse of GW2 trying to get rid of the trinity. Offense is already somewhat normalized, and in a perfect world defense would be too, but balancing professions with vastly different primary defensive mechanisms is very difficult.

If evasion-based professions (live by not getting hit) are going to be seen as viable as tank-based professions (live by surviving hits) either:
A) Things like Feline Grace need to be innate to the profession instead of trait-based.
-or-
B) The sturdiness imparted to heavy armor professions needs to be a trait-based choice instead of an innate feature.

in Thief

Posted by: Azraeel.1238

Azraeel.1238

If you gave Feline Grace as an innate trait, that would make thieves way too OP, and if you removed the heavy armor on warriors/guardians, they would be too useless. The way things are its fine. They don’t have to make things 100% balanced, every profession got its ups and downs.

80 Necromancer (Main) | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 80 Warrior
Engineer and Elementalist in progress…

in Thief

Posted by: Okamakiri.8746

Okamakiri.8746

If you gave Feline Grace as an innate trait, that would make thieves way too OP, and if you removed the heavy armor on warriors/guardians, they would be too useless. The way things are its fine. They don’t have to make things 100% balanced, every profession got its ups and downs.

- Rangers have more evasion than thieves, far better healing, higher HP, access to Protection, etc. and they’re not OP. Felinge Grace being a class passive wouldn’t make Thieves OP at all, it would fit with the squishy but evasive theme of the class.

- Warriors/Guardians have base armor of 2127, Thieves and other medium armor users have 1980. That’s a difference of only 147 armor before any toughness on gear. Armor makes little difference in survivability in this game, and armor type even less. It’s all about evasion, Protection, Aegis and healing.

in Thief

Posted by: Grimwolf.7163

Grimwolf.7163

- Rangers have more evasion than thieves, far better healing, higher HP, access to Protection, etc. and they’re not OP. Felinge Grace being a class passive wouldn’t make Thieves OP at all, it would fit with the squishy but evasive theme of the class.

- Warriors/Guardians have base armor of 2127, Thieves and other medium armor users have 1980. That’s a difference of only 147 armor before any toughness on gear. Armor makes little difference in survivability in this game, and armor type even less. It’s all about evasion, Protection, Aegis and healing.

No one has more evasion than Thieves with at least 15 points in Acrobatics. Rangers do have much easier access to high evasion though.
The reason is that Feline Grace stacks with Vigor. The +50% regeneration traits do not.

(edited by Grimwolf.7163)