Time to suicide[Back to D/P]

in Thief

Posted by: Authority.6145

Authority.6145

You could always reroll to Guardian or Elementalist. Much better classes. They are like Alpha Classes.

Was thinking of trying mesmer to be honest.

in Thief

Posted by: evilapprentice.6379

evilapprentice.6379

2 PvP Builds I’ve liked Recently

Build 1 – http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYAQRAsY4alUmaO3eS6E/5Ex2jeuTe69gsjNsaFoJA;TwAA1CnoqxUjoGbNuak1soYQymgJBA (you may need to copy/paste)

Hybrid Bursty S/D – D/P. If you’ve been playing PvP and paying attention, you’ll notice nearly every single player has a list of boons on them – Bunkers, survival builds, even burst DPS – everyone is stacking boons. Well… kitten boons; I kittening hate boons (on other players at least), and that’s why I love this spec. You’ve got the on demand stripping to shut down boons on anything that’s not a bunker in 2 seconds. Steal is especially fun – you gain vigor, fury, might, swiftness, AND 2 boons from your target shared with you and all your friends. The spec hits relatively hard (especially when your target hits 50% health) and you have a ton of initiative to burst with (15 base, 3 on steal, 4 on heal). Decent health, High armor (for a bursty thief), decent power, and decent crit (with 20s of fury available) combined with S/D’s in and out playstyle leaves you fairly survivable. D/P is there for when you need more burst and less dodging in and out of combat. Plenty of stealth available, though I personally use it sparingly.
Change up the Util’s as you see fit (SR was much stronger when this spec had 30 points in SA, but I keep it around for Tourney play anyway)

Build 2 – http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYAQRAsY4alYmCN3aS3E95EC3DLEqeKNF3kN1pgrkPA;TwAgzCtouxcj4G7Nubk3sCZEyGiJEA (Copy/paste might be required)

Tanky venom share, S/D – D/P – As far as I understand, this is a bit of a departure from the standard venom share. Your personal healing is amazing – you’ve got 14s regen on slowed pulse, 14s regen on pain response (as well as the burning/bleeding/poison drop), 5% chance of 14s regen on hit, 7s regen on heal (all at 288 HPS), withdraw, and the healing from venoms. With your nearly 3k armor, you will almost feel like a bunker (at least as close as a thief can get, anyway). Burst can be a bit scary (especially since you rely on Inf Strike/Shadow return as your only stunbreaker), but if you escape with 10% of your health and your heal is up, you can be back at 80% and ticking regen in 2 seconds. The utility setup is what dictates your playstyle – if you’re going to be solo queing or Hotjoining (not expecting much teamwork), you bring your own team via Ambush and Thieves Guild – it’s almost scary to watch a target melt when 4 thieves proc 5 spider venoms a piece on a target in 2-3 seconds. If you’re expecting a more coordinated environment, load up more venoms – you share the might proc as well as the venom (with its extra damage and healing procs) – between venom heals and regen-on-heal (which you share with nearby teammembers), you can restore alot of health to coordinted teammates. You can opt for Might on dodge over Vigor on heal, but I personally prefer the extra endurance. Also considering switching Leeching sigil for Energy sigil – still just a personal preference.

If you’re a thief and haven’t
pre-ordered HOT at this point,
save yourself the money and don’t bother.

(edited by evilapprentice.6379)

in Thief

Posted by: iNaddict.8021

iNaddict.8021

You could always reroll to Guardian or Elementalist. Much better classes. They are like Alpha Classes.

i have a mesmer.. they are kitten pain to level.. worse than thief..

in Thief

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

I have a thief that I loved to play s/d in PvE. I’ve adapted to the patch by switching to an axe/shield build on my warrior. I like the playstyle which, to me, feels comparable to the flow of the s/d thief pre-patch—it just works and feels right. Of course there is no stealth mechanic with the warrior but it has the essence of what I was playing the thief for and that is a fluid playstyle.

in Thief

Authority.6145

i have a mesmer.. they are kitten pain to level.. worse than thief..

Been getting phantasm mesmers lately. So annoying/annoyed.

Apparently it is bugged as well.

in Thief

Authority.6145

Any rumors regarding the new patch?

in Thief

iNaddict.8021

some guy posted that revealed is reverted back to 3 secs in pve and pvp..

i sorta lold.. like any thief play tpvp these days.

in Thief

Authority.6145

I still exhaust myself with TPvP; to the point where you win as a thief but you are too tired to celebrate.

Might switch to another signet if there is indeed a mobility boost. And if Mug is nerfed then I will go to remove one condition.

@Arga

That’s nice, but there are a few flaws I’m noticing here. For one thing, if you rely on a single skill that is blockable, evadable, blind-able, etc. to do “35%” of your burst.

I’m just going to say that most of your paragraph showed why burst builds are dumb and shouldn’t be used.

Mobility is great for control, damage, ally support, range, flexibility, survivability, and aggressive ability.

While I do agree with your points and I have personally made some statements agreeing with previous nerfs while other statements have been changed (due to becoming more aware of builds and how they need to be executed), I still think that Arena needs to stop applying “nerf/balancing” patches that pushes us into one-sided direction.

While I remember having plenty of conversations with a large amount of thieves and some of them were downing my build straight away without letting me defend it at all, I really do not like the fact that with new changes and future coming ones, full glass cannon build will be a rare breed.

While it is true that I started to notice a month or two months ago that in higher TPvP level FGCB (full glass cannon build) never seemed either ideal or appealing to me and I was really wondering why would a thief invest into something of a hit or miss, it has only been reconfirmed with the upcoming changes.

I personally would like changes that emphasize build diversity rather than switching from one build to another.

and I have made in the past some controversial posts (i.e agreeing that permanent stealth should be changed)

(edited by Authority.6145)

in Thief

Authority.6145

When someone can be bothered, please summarize for me all the forthcoming changes in here.

in Thief

Authority.6145

Pros to that person who wrote this.

Thief
-Want the thief to be more survivable and versatile.
-Reducing their overall burst, but still wants them to be the best burst class.
-In the future, may increase base damage slightly so thieves can trait a bit more defensive
-Wants to increase thief mobility. Possibly cause steal to work as shadow step if nothing is targeted.
-Some traits may be compressed together in the future.
-Mug can no longer crit, but also heals for 2000 + healing power.
-Flanking Strike has improved animation that better tracks the target, now costs 3 initiative
-Larsonist’s Strike added as a follow up to Flanking Strike. If it lands, this hit will steal one boon from the target. Costs 1 initiative. May consider traits in the future to share this boon with the team.

in Thief

Posted by: Volrath.1473

Volrath.1473

SA is still useful in practical combat. You weren’t going to land your CND every 3s on people trying to stay afloat. Venoms are also useful.
I’d say more but I can’t even comprehend how people think its trashy now.

My immediate response after seeing PW die… Was to go to venom share since I didn’t need haste with that. However I solo que so it wasn’t as practical as it.could be. So…. I’m playing with 25/25/20 ATM while I brainstorm.
Really enjoying 4s immobilize on needle trap too.

Devourer Venom also gives 4sec immobilize and doesn’t require you to lure your enemy into the trap that he may even not stand in it or disable it by dodging.
not to mention that it is useless vs ranged professions wile Devourer Venom is allot more efficient.

2s immobilize. Unless you got 100% more condition duration.

2s for each hit and it has 2 charges, do the math

in Thief

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

2s for each hit and it has 2 charges, do the math

The two charges do not stack, they refresh. If you hit the opponent twice in rapid succession, you would get something like 2.5s total immobilisation without any condition duration bonuses.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Volrath.1473

Volrath.1473

which still is a lot more than the elite skill.

in Thief

Posted by: ensoriki.5789

ensoriki.5789

which still is a lot more than the elite skill.

But they can still use skills which results in a ranger switching to sword and spamming evades. While his wolf tries to eat your face.

The great forum duppy.

in Thief

Posted by: Grimwolf.7163

Grimwolf.7163

Thief
-In the future, may increase base damage slightly so thieves can trait a bit more defensive
-Wants to increase thief mobility. Possibly cause steal to work as shadow step if nothing is targeted.
-Flanking Strike has improved animation that better tracks the target, now costs 3 initiative
-Larsonist’s Strike added as a follow up to Flanking Strike. If it lands, this hit will steal one boon from the target. Costs 1 initiative. May consider traits in the future to share this boon with the team.

The Thief-related information is a little more extensive than that. I’ve summarized them on a news post on my site; http://www.blackwolfbrotherhood.com/news/april-30th-state-of-the-game/

in Thief

Posted by: andyMak.6985

andyMak.6985

Mate!, i play thief in tPVP.. i’m hella bad but, this is a game, i’m here to have fun, i enjoy the thief class so i shall play it and enjoy myself.

not gonna roll a class i hate to play just to keep others happy

in Thief

Authority.6145

Thief

The Thief-related information is a little more extensive than that. I’ve summarized them on a news post on my site; http://www.blackwolfbrotherhood.com/news/april-30th-state-of-the-game/

Added.

I have got a couple of interesting things to suggest after the 30 patch concerning for D/P but I will wait for the patch first before posting.

in Thief

Posted by: Grimwolf.7163

Grimwolf.7163

I forgot a few things in that news post initially, but I’ve added them in. Hopefully I haven’t forgotten anything else.

in Thief

Posted by: Coloxeus.3480

Coloxeus.3480

better!. at this case. d/p and s/d wud be the best choice. i need to re roll after the patch im so excited about the 2k lifesteal! kitten my d/p style wud be too OP!

in Thief

Authority.6145

I forgot a few things in that news post initially, but I’ve added them in. Hopefully I haven’t forgotten anything else.

Good to know.

Even though my first reaction to mug change was raging hardcore about it, I have thought about it again in a calm manner and I would like to think I have got a couple of interesting ideas to experiment with which in fact motivates me to look forward to the patch.

in Thief

Posted by: bomber.1540

bomber.1540

wow, as a devoted SD user i think i might enjoy this patch

in Thief

Posted by: Void.4239

Void.4239

BIG Boost to my build , totally will love the new mug steal

it will make it even harder to kill me now , whuahuahua

DD dodger build ( spvp/tpvp)
( fully adapt to any burst or stealth nerfs they would ever consider in the future )

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/thief/PVP-bunker-dodger-build-New-Vids-Part3/first

in Thief

Authority.6145

( fully adapt to any burst or stealth nerfs they would ever consider in the future )

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/thief/PVP-bunker-dodger-build-New-Vids-Part3/first

Glad to know. Been a while since I saw that thread. Probably two months ago or so I believe.

I like thieves that find openings in each patch to tweak their builds and bring more diversity.

That is what patches are for thieves – opportunities to overexploit other builds.

in Thief

Posted by: muscarine.5136

muscarine.5136

It appears they forgot they made it so we could wear a pistol in both hands though.
Or maybe it’s just some kind of weird alpha leftover.

Seriously, i hope they have p/p in mind when they talk about increased mobility and boon hate, it would fit really well with the set.

in Thief

Posted by: Travlane.5948

Travlane.5948

see the problem is as now….lets say u wanna spam like an ele for atleast 15 seconds lol (as close as we can get to infinity like ele but oh well) you would put 20 in SA 20 in acro 30 in trickery. lots of rolls lots of intitiative gain. but then you would be like a guardian. avoiding dmg but not enough to kill anyone….well then agian a guardian heals others…protects others….has retal…burning….thieves ONLY have dmg ….and bleeds. but not enough dmg to really add bleedsin. its all in dmg all in bleeds or all in defense. most of the balance builds like my beloved s/d are fun and good at duels but just dont really produce anything good for zerg play or fast enough for spvp/tpvp. as the devs said we need more base damage…and fast

in Thief

Posted by: Void.4239

Void.4239

Glad to know. Been a while since I saw that thread. Probably two months ago or so I believe.

I like thieves that find openings in each patch to tweak their builds and bring more diversity.

That is what patches are for thieves – opportunities to overexploit other builds.

To be honest i think this DD dodger build has been available since release , just not played a lot. i hope they boost it even more in the future , its a really fun build to play.

i’ll be experimenting with S/D dodger and D/P dodger next , the flanking strike and the shadow shot could be used instead of deathblossum ( making this build available for crit stats) . its still in testing fases tho

really glad they finally nerved mug damage( took them to long already in my opinion)
hopefully more thiefs will finally drop the BS 1shot kill combo build cause it really was BS

in Thief

Posted by: Travlane.5948

Travlane.5948

To be honest i think this DD dodger build has been available since release , just not played a lot. i hope they boost it even more in the future , its a really fun build to play.

i’ll be experimenting with S/D dodger and D/P dodger next , the flanking strike and the shadow shot could be used instead of deathblossum ( making this build available for crit stats) . its still in testing fases tho

really glad they finally nerved mug damage( took them to long already in my opinion)
hopefully more thiefs will finally drop the BS 1shot kill combo build cause it really was BS

there is no backstab 1 shot combo. a combo is 2 hits or more and no one BS =death. well i guess you could count low lvl upscales in wvw? and in spvp dmg is basically halved….so its def not there. anyoen who does run this build is dead in the water to die waiting 45-60 seconds to try it again. so they die or are useless in real game play. everyone here talks like 1 v 1 means anything. it doesnt. get over it….you get owned in 1 v 1….dont say one word. bc it does not matter….if u cant do anythign in a zerg? then complain…cant do anythign in 8 v 8 then complain about spvp in reference to your character / skill lvl.

in Thief

Posted by: Gralsh.9458

Gralsh.9458

Here’s to hoping the improved boon-stealing of Larcenist’s Strike has positive implications for Bountiful Theft.

And that the kittening of Mug results in some reconsidersation of, and general improvements to, Steal (especially in comparison to the F-abilities of other classes, not only in terms of number, power, and utility, but also, perhaps in cool-down).

/crossesfingers

Absolutely Loving the Game So Far, Definitely Wishing Some Parts Were Better,

-Gralsh

in Thief

iNaddict.8021

Mate!, i play thief in tPVP.. i’m hella bad but, this is a game, i’m here to have fun, i enjoy the thief class so i shall play it and enjoy myself.

not gonna roll a class i hate to play just to keep others happy

Wasnt telling you to re-roll im glad you still play tPVP..

i guess i should revise my statement into:

“there aren’t many thieves in tPVP?”

in Thief

iNaddict.8021

Good to know.

Even though my first reaction to mug change was raging hardcore about it, I have thought about it again in a calm manner and I would like to think I have got a couple of interesting ideas to experiment with which in fact motivates me to look forward to the patch.

Is your 10-30-0-15-15 build going to change?

in Thief

Authority.6145

Good to know.

In terms of raw theorycrafting I will experiment with two things when the patch comes;

1.To see how far can I go with reducing Steal’s Cooldown.
2.To see how far can I go with increasing Steal’s health return.

in Thief

Posted by: Humorless.1573

Humorless.1573

Good to know.

In terms of raw theorycrafting I will experiment with two things when the patch comes;

Ideal situation being 3k every 30 something seconds.

It will suck. It’s a nice bonus but nothing worth building around.

in Thief

Authority.6145

Good to know.

How did you calculate that extra 1k?

in Thief

Posted by: Humorless.1573

Humorless.1573

Good to know.

How did you calculate that extra 1k?

I didn’t and can’t because we don’t know how much healing will be added per point of healing power. But if you want to be capable of doing anything your build won’t have enough healing power for it to matter; it still won’t be an efficient source of healing. 1k is an optimistic and unlikely estimate; it will probably be lower.

in Thief

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

This patch is good news for my S/P dodge happy thief. I’ll switch P to D and pick up bountiful theft and see how it goes. Being able to steal two boons is nice, but a way to share them would be even better.

in Thief

Posted by: LordSlack.4685

LordSlack.4685

Didn’t they also say they were looking at increasing base damage across most attacks as it seemed a little low? That wouldn’t be for this patch or the next patch as I understand it. Next patch is pure bugfix.

in Thief

Authority.6145

Didn’t they also say they were looking at increasing base damage across most attacks as it seemed a little low? That wouldn’t be for this patch or the next patch as I understand it. Next patch is pure bugfix.

I could have sworn that they said for the next patch.

in Thief

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

Don’t think so – it was just a future consideration. I may have heard it wrong, but I think it would be more talked about if it were more immediate. Who knows.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

in Thief

Authority.6145

Don’t think so – it was just a future consideration. I may have heard it wrong, but I think it would be more talked about if it were more immediate. Who knows.

Was thinking of re-editing the moment I wrote that but will see that sotg again at some point.

We know the time of the patch?

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

lol @ the naiveté of this idea.

Do they really believe that a thief who has access to more damage will spec defensive?

They should buff the coefficient and multiplier on defensive stats to make it more appealing instead. I have no reason to go defensive since I can dodge, evade, and stealth just fine.

I think they should focus on fixing the functionality, animation, timing etc. of the skills overall before they fine tune the damage, since most of the problem are coming from buggy skills.

I’m sure that if they fix a lot of auto-attack bugs and skill animation bugs, they’ll see the base damage increase without actually changing any of the numbers.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

in Thief

Authority.6145

Will try to post later today if I find something worth changing/saying. If not, probably tomorrow.

in Thief

Authority.6145

Raw observations but;

1.Disappointed with mug.
2.Shortbow’s decreased damaged noticeable.
3.Might switch to S/D.

Might not use mug trait at all.

Something doesn’t feel right with D/P right now to be honest.

Experimenting with this build.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYAQJAoalYmaPHdy5E/5Ey2jKsn4JOFGlT1p4qsKA-TYAigU54yxkjMHbOA

in Thief

Authority.6145

Justification for TPvP only.

You could probably switch to Withdraw unless the enemy has got a heavy condition profession since you get a condition removed every time you go into stealth.

Might be wiser to invest into the trait of going to stealth and blinding enemies. On the other hand it might be riskier since you need to be able to maintain damage in team fights and more initiative regeneration means being able to utilize your shortbow to the max.

The reasons for changing my build is that since I wont be going the typical Full Glass Cannon and since Mug not criting has effected my quickdps gameplay I thought I need to find other ways of providing sustained damaged to my team as well as increasing my chances for survival.

I also think this build is a great countering anything full dps wise since you can abuse going into stealth endlessly and blow your enemies cooldowns or generally make them get tired of fighting you.

This is still raw observing mode so do not take my words to the heart.

in Thief

Authority.6145

Added one more build just for the fun of it.

Probably the “support” should be tested while having another [full dps ofcourse] thief on your team.

in Thief

Authority.6145

Updated as much as I can.

in Thief

Posted by: Arganthium.5638

Arganthium.5638

I’ve already gotten some new builds going for me for this newest patch. Here’s my old build, though, if anybody wants to take a peek at it:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYAQNAoaVlUmiP3eS6E95EB3Dna0m6fAs9MuqVB-TsAg0CvIwRhjDHDOScs4MKYVwUEA

Might, regen, and good damage. One of the many reasons I love these builds.

EDIT: btw, Authority, if you’re still testing D/P, you might want to try that build out. It’s probably not quite as hard-hitting as what you’re used to, but… Well, see how you like it.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

in Thief

Authority.6145

I’ve already gotten some new builds going for me for this newest patch. Here’s my old build, though, if anybody wants to take a peek at it:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYAQNAoaVlUmiP3eS6E95EB3Dna0m6fAs9MuqVB-TsAg0CvIwRhjDHDOScs4MKYVwUEA

EDIT: btw, Authority, if you’re still testing D/P, you might want to try that build out. It’s probably not quite as hard-hitting as what you’re used to, but… Well, see how you like it.

Thanks Arga.

I am really disappointed with D/P right now. I might be going through a phase or something. Tried S/D. The only down about is that any DPS Thief will slaughter you.

in Thief

Posted by: Arganthium.5638

Arganthium.5638

Thanks Arga.

I am really disappointed with D/P right now. I might be going through a phase or something. Tried S/D. The only down about is that any DPS Thief will slaughter you.

No problem.

Yeah, I’m not even going to think about switching back to D/P until it gets a buff like S/D did. :/ I really loved it pre-patch, but right now there are just better options.

As for S/D… As always, running my type of builds, which tends to mean 0/0/x/x/x (I don’t know why, I’ve become addicted to this stuff recently). Hopefully I can find some good methods to counter your DPS thief problem.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

in Thief

Authority.6145

Thanks Arga.

No problem.

Yeah, I’m not even going to think about switching back to D/P until it gets a buff like S/D did. :/ I really loved it pre-patch, but right now there are just better options.

As for S/D… As always, running my type of builds, which tends to mean 0/0/x/x/x (I don’t know why, I’ve become addicted to this stuff recently). Hopefully I can find some good methods to counter your DPS thief problem.

There is one build I will test tomorrow. I will try to see whether I could make D/P provide perma stealth + perma blind and test it on TPvP.

in Thief

Posted by: Naii.9810

Naii.9810

How important is crit dmg/crit chance for s/d builds? Burst damage does not seem as strong compared to backstabs, so I was thinking of gearing for better survivablity than zerk.