Trapper Backstab Thief part 2

in Thief

Posted by: reinforever.8902

reinforever.8902

I want to see a lof of mesmer blood, D/D ele blood, Guardian blood.

Just a lot of blood and crits, sexy dodges, good epic music and outnumbered sexyness.

We all have this duty to instill fear and QQ to other professions. You have done it once with this post, you will surely do it again.

Requests heard loud and clear my friend

So I just posted a trapper build showcase montage a few days ago, but I was a little unhappy with the content being mainly duels and mainly against warriors. So I made a part two that focuses more on roaming and the pesky classes thief has grown to hate. I’m sorry if this is too soon to post new content, but YOLO #TrapLife. As I promised to you kocof, here’s the second installment (instillment) to the trapper backstab thief. Next video will contain purely Outnumbered fights either solo or with a small group in the coming weeks.

Note: slight build changes, Changed armor head, chest, and legs to valkyrie (from berserker) and changed cleansing sigil from sb to bloodlust stacking sigil. Build link will be in description, as usual.

Enjoy

in Thief

Posted by: Overworld.9613

Overworld.9613

I didn’t get to watch it all the way through (but I will come back to do just that) but I like what I see, this looks like a really fun build

Secretly creative

in Thief

reinforever.8902

I didn’t get to watch it all the way through (but I will come back to do just that) but I like what I see, this looks like a really fun build

Hey thanks bud. If you end up trying it out, let me know how it goes.

in Thief

Posted by: CrossHeart.9145

CrossHeart.9145

Last night was the most fun I had on my thief since last year. The build you shared actually gave me the highest damage output on my thief with 25 stacks of might and 15 stacks of vulnerability (plus 100% crit chance from stealth). I finally felt strong and, not to mention, useful in WvW with this.

I do have to ask though, are you just relying on the condi removal from stealth? Wouldn’t it be safer to have Hide in Shadows as a heal or do you find the stealth from it redundant?

Gabriel Hawkins, Guild Leader of the Order of Providence [OP] || Darkhaven

in Thief

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

It actually a lot easier to get might stacks off the traps then the old might signet build and the functionality of those traps with that stealth better from a defensive perspective as well.

When I play my own build the condi removal tends to be enough but I will add a sigil of purity or generosity as well. This WvW

(edited by babazhook.6805)

in Thief

reinforever.8902

Last night was the most fun I had on my thief since last year. The build you shared actually gave me the highest damage output on my thief with 25 stacks of might and 15 stacks of vulnerability (plus 100% crit chance from stealth). I finally felt strong and, not to mention, useful in WvW with this.

I do have to ask though, are you just relying on the condi removal from stealth? Wouldn’t it be safer to have Hide in Shadows as a heal or do you find the stealth from it redundant?

I do rely on the shadows embrace for condi removal, but the cool thing about this trait is that it goes straight to damage condis for removal. The problem with this is that immobilize, chill, and cripple don’t get cleared, so that’s why I take withdraw. Withdraw also has a higher heal to cooldown ratio so I get more hp in a less ammount of time, instant cast, a built in evade, and with the trapper runes and trait it also applies stealth. These are the main reasons I pick withdraw over Hide in Shadows.

(edited by reinforever.8902)

in Thief

Posted by: Amante.8109

Amante.8109

I really want to try these trap shenanigans! Guess I need to level Leatherworker?

in Thief

reinforever.8902

I really want to try these trap shenanigans! Guess I need to level Leatherworker?

Any of the armor crafting professions at lvl 400 will work. But yeah leatherworking is good to go with thief

in Thief

Posted by: Kocoff.7582

Kocoff.7582

oooooleeeeee. This is great. To be honest I thought it would take you a little longer than that.

- the fight at NWcamp vs mesmer, necro, guardian. it’s gold. that NPC Supervisor made me lol.
- that engi right after…. exemplify how annoying those guys can be.

this build is really nice, but the risk of being stunlocked is crazy haha. I guess that’s the risk I am willing to take. Good job mate!

Blackgate Server [RLR]
Thief – Raiden Hayabusa
Thief – Gouki Kurokawa

in Thief

CrossHeart.9145

I do rely on the shadows embrace for condi removal, but the cool thing about this trait is that it goes straight to damage condis for removal. The problem with this is that immobilize, chill, and cripple don’t get cleared, so that’s why I take withdraw. Withdraw also has a higher heal to cooldown ratio so I get more hp in a less ammount of time, instant cast, a built in evade, and with the trapper runes and trait it also applies stealth. These are the main reasons I pick withdraw over Hide in Shadows.

I see. Thanks for the response! I’ll try roaming with Withdraw as a heal this time.

in Thief

babazhook.6805

By the way Trappers is about the ONLY way you can make a p/p set into a condition set.

I keep experimenting with other Runes after trappers but always go back be it condition or power which illustrates just how important INI management is in any build. Trappers makes those stealths so much cheaper so as to allow you to use your ini for damage and again so very flexible as I can not think of a weaponset where they would not work with the build.

And most of all FUN.

in Thief

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

By the way Trappers is about the ONLY way you can make a p/p set into a condition set.

I keep experimenting with other Runes after trappers but always go back be it condition or power which illustrates just how important INI management is in any build. Trappers makes those stealths so much cheaper so as to allow you to use your ini for damage and again so very flexible as I can not think of a weaponset where they would not work with the build.

And most of all FUN.

P/P perplexity interrupt works pretty nicely. It offers a lot of sustain with the blinds, decent base ticks, and holy mother of damage when chain-interrupting your foes :P

in Thief

babazhook.6805

And most of all FUN.

P/P perplexity interrupt works pretty nicely. It offers a lot of sustain with the blinds, decent base ticks, and holy mother of damage when chain-interrupting your foes :P

The problem here though is lack of stealth for defense and the inability to use the AA sneak attack off the p/p set to load on those bleeds with regularity. With the trappers and pressure strike you can get as many bleeds on as the p/d set , still get confusion off BA and load a pile of torment.

Those chain interrupts are relatively cheap when compared to a power set using unload and that time in stealth can help rebuild ini and as importantly relocate and cause the enemy to lose target.

Now if there was easier access to stealth while using perplexity……

in Thief

reinforever.8902

oooooleeeeee. This is great. To be honest I thought it would take you a little longer than that.

- the fight at NWcamp vs mesmer, necro, guardian. it’s gold. that NPC Supervisor made me lol.

this build is really nice, but the risk of being stunlocked is crazy haha. I guess that’s the risk I am willing to take. Good job mate!

Most of my fights usually go like this so it’s really easy to get some footage. I’m working purely on outnumbered now. Stunlock is the builds number one counter, but that said we can usually take the damage and stealth spam up, however I’m looking into a more efficient method. I’ve been trying shadow trap and I just can’t get it to work as a stun break, need something instant cast all the time. There’s a trait in acro line, but it’s really hard for me to give up any lines. Maybe infil signet instead of ambush trap. Idk, I’ll continue working.

in Thief

babazhook.6805

Most of my fights usually go like this so it’s really easy to get some footage. I’m working purely on outnumbered now. Stunlock is the builds number one counter, but that said we can usually take the damage and stealth spam up, however I’m looking into a more efficient method. I’ve been trying shadow trap and I just can’t get it to work as a stun break, need something instant cast all the time. There’s a trait in acro line, but it’s really hard for me to give up any lines. Maybe infil signet instead of ambush trap. Idk, I’ll continue working.

It pretty hard to get shadow trap to work as a stun break. In a power build stun is a huge issue with the trapper. It a little easier using trappers in a condi build as you can take the acro line and get hard to catch.

I ended up using RFI has there a bit more utility then the signet in that you can get a second way to counter immob/cripple/chill and garner that initiative which in game terms is the same as the signet gets you.

With RFI you also will find it easier to change up your heal to HiS.

in Thief

reinforever.8902

It pretty hard to get shadow trap to work as a stun break. In a power build stun is a huge issue with the trapper. It a little easier using trappers in a condi build as you can take the acro line and get hard to catch.

I ended up using RFI has there a bit more utility then the signet in that you can get a second way to counter immob/cripple/chill and garner that initiative which in game terms is the same as the signet gets you.

With RFI you also will find it easier to change up your heal to HiS.

The choices, if I were to even change ambush trap to something with stun break, were shadowstep, infil signet, and RFI. RFI and shadowstep have much more appealing utility over all but sport a much higher cooldown. Infil signet however is only on a 30 second cast time which can be reduced from the other trait in CS. If i was taking Trickery over CS, i would most likely go with RFI and take the trick cd reduce that way my heal would be even more consistent, and gives a lot of extra condi clear. But still, it’s hard for me to give up my npc thief T~T

in Thief

CrossHeart.9145

I’ve tried Shadow Trap during an outnumbered zerg vs zerg fight. It’s a good enough escape (even with the obscenely long cast time, if you put it on a safe spot), but it just means going into the fight with 2 traps. I’ve also tried it in the middle of the fight, which lets me one shot people who trigger my trap. As a stun break though, it’s rather unreliable. If nobody triggers it and you just detonate it, it doesn’t necessarily shadow step you to the trap’s location. If somebody trips it,then you only have 10 seconds left on your stun break, so whether you use it or ignore it you still lose the stun break.

As a trap though, it’s quite fun. I can just set it by the entrance of a keep, go somewhere, activate if somebody triggers it, and kill said somebody. Since it has in built stealth when it’s triggered, I won’t be killed if it turns out a zerg triggered it.

in Thief

reinforever.8902

So I did some more testing with Shadow trap as far as range and teleporting to the target. You can go pretty freakin’ far with the trap and teleport back. In fact the distance you can teleport using shadow trap gives me a very small loadscreen, pretty crazy! The downside is you have to have a clear path between either you and the trap or you and the target that triggered the trap. If not two different things happen depending on the circumstances
If nothing triggered the trap and you’re breaking trap to return to that point, you will get caught on ANYTHING that is between you and the shadow trap. Trees, small hills, stumps.
If something did trigger the trap and there’s something blocking between you and target (same blockages as above), you will get the stealth and might, but you simply wont teleport to the target at all.

So really the trap is only truly good for escapes if you position it just right so that there aren’t any obstacles between you and it, or if there’s no obstacles between you and your target. In my opinion shadowstep would be a better escape option simply because it’s a stunbreak and has some decent range. The in combat benefits are just too particular to accomplish to make shadow trap a skill worth it to take over its counterparts. With that said, I’m going to continue to run with ambush trap because that’s how I’m having the best luck with this build in particular. Happy hunting my fellow trappers.

in Thief

Posted by: SolarDragon.7063

SolarDragon.7063

That’s not quite true. The problem with shadow trap is that it calculates the range based on WALKING distance, not straight line.
If you activate from a point technically in straight line range but not in walk range, it goofs up into obstacles.

in Thief

reinforever.8902

That’s not quite true. The problem with shadow trap is that it calculates the range based on WALKING distance, not straight line.
If you activate from a point technically in straight line range but not in walk range, it goofs up into obstacles.

Oh I see what you’re saying. I was testing it based on range. That makes a lot more sense.

(edited by reinforever.8902)

in Thief

Posted by: SolarDragon.7063

SolarDragon.7063

Regardless how it calculates, you still have to have a clear path.

No you don’t. You have to have a walkable path of less than 10000 units.

in Thief

reinforever.8902

Regardless how it calculates, you still have to have a clear path.

No you don’t. You have to have a walkable path of less than 10000 units.

Misunderstood you, see above post.

in Thief

reinforever.8902

Thief
Trappers Respite: Fixed a bug that prevented this trait from being affected by the recharge reduction provided by the trait Deadly Trapper.

In the patch notes today. Got a small buff! definitely happy on that. Also pretty excited for some of the new traits the Daredevil spec could provide to this build! Thanks A-net!

in Thief

Posted by: MarauderShields.6830

MarauderShields.6830

Love this build. It is so incredibly cheesy, you can even beat the cheese of mesmers and D/D eles.

Former running-really-fast-man. Now proud member of Revenant clan.

in Thief

reinforever.8902

Love this build. It is so incredibly cheesy, you can even beat the cheese of mesmers and D/D eles.

It really throws people off I’ve noticed. Mesmer try to outstealth me and I laugh and permastealth with traps. Eles try to load me with condis and I laugh and knock them down with traps.