Venomshare PvP viable?

Venomshare PvP viable?

in Thief

Posted by: Morryk.7829

Morryk.7829

Title Says it all, I enjoy the playstyle. Just wondering if it’s actually good. And viable in higher tier play. Also, if anyone knows a good build it’d be appreciated.

Venomshare PvP viable?

in Thief

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

Like, how high?

If you can get organized with a team, everything’s always easier. As a thief you can always play the +1 backcapper.

At best, for venoms I put togeather this and really liked how it ran vs the various situations I had to face.
http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQNAqaVn8lCFNhNNBGmCsPhFZCjLQ1C2BzdwQYKUbPNFCAA-TZxBQBGc/hldKAAwDAwLlBwwRAAA

Oh, I made a build thread too with vids and stuff
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/thief/What-I-ve-been-running-in-PvP-P-P-O/first#

(edited by Ross Biddle.2367)

Venomshare PvP viable?

in Thief

Posted by: Morryk.7829

Morryk.7829

Ross, the CD on Thieves guild is massive, wouldn’t basilisk venom be better as you’ll have it up for every fight? Also giving your allies a stun is awesome.

Also, taking the stealth on steal instead of leaching venoms seems to negate the point of venomshare.

Venomshare PvP viable?

in Thief

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

Ross, the CD on Thieves guild is massive, wouldn’t basilisk venom be better as you’ll have it up for every fight? Also giving your allies a stun is awesome.

Also, taking the stealth on steal instead of leaching venoms seems to negate the point of venomshare.

I took leeching venoms at first, but after a while I found I didnt really notice its effect. That, and the utility of having a stealth on venoms meant many things. For one I could create a stronger opening burst combo. I’d open with sBow dropping a poison field on point. Swap to P/P before combat engaged and proc venoms. Stealth to target to invis and pistol 1 through the venom field (seems to have a 100% projectile finisher?), that’d stack all venoms, plus pistol stealth bleeds plus the additional poison projectile finishers. That, and I’d still be full of init.

Stealth also opens up a stronger disengage possibility, which is super helpful when dipping out of a battle (usually after your first two team venom dumps in a match, the first being applied out the gate, the second as the CD’s come up just after the opening mid fight starts) and moving for a far decap. So yeah, in the end it was stealth > Leeching.

As for Elite, both bas venom and thieves guild are powerful, but for different reasons and under different circumstances. Thieves Guild will fill up team presence for a venom burst when allies are rotating off to other points. They also offer a means to, effectively, remove a target from the field when you do this. They also provide support for the thief when you’re solo assaulting, or defending a point 1v1. They tripple your solo venom application while also providing their own cripples, imob, and damage.

Bas venom on the other hand is a much shorter CD CC, and is a sound, strong, simple, and effective approach. For the team it helps burn enemy stun breaks and stabos early on, and helps for venoms to apply under the stun. It might make a difference, it might not. It’s a nice fire and forget option. I think the last time I was using the build, I was using bas venom for the most part, so yeah, go with it.

Venomshare PvP viable?

in Thief

Posted by: Blue Hare.8612

Blue Hare.8612

Just posting my build I have been using in casual PvP: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQRAoY6an8lCFNhNNBemC8PhlWCTLAcAWAznwV4LkbRdEKCA-TJxBABeVGY5nAAAnEg/2fAA

Works well in the casual matches I play. Wins mid every game if you get your team to cooperate. (4 ppl start by running to near point, no-one caps it… wut?)

I just couldn’t decide if I want d/d or p/p so I took them both. The only mobility/disengage I have is traveler runes . Well I could take dash but… moar DAMAGE. And for stunbreaks… who even needs them, duh.

I know my build probably doesn’t work on higher levels but I like the playstyle and I’m not that interested in ranked anyway. The build was kind of a joke I made to have fun with but it turned out to be rather good.

And in general, I remember someone mentioning they got to diamond with yolo-q venom thief, so it can be done.

And Ross, your build has Deadly Trapper when your only trap is the trait in your healing skill… wouldn’t Panic Strike be better?

Even the enemy team likes to eat venoms:

Attachments:

{Lepus Timidus}

Venomshare PvP viable?

in Thief

Posted by: pepper.6179

pepper.6179

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/414soi/skill_balance_preview_livestream_notes/

looks like elite venom is gonna be unblock-able?! thats pretty kitten good

[SA]

Venomshare PvP viable?

in Thief

Posted by: Blue Hare.8612

Blue Hare.8612

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/414soi/skill_balance_preview_livestream_notes/

looks like elite venom is gonna be unblock-able?! thats pretty kitten good

Was just watching the preview and picked that out too. This is great, now enemies have no way preventing venom unloads. And with venomshare your allies get unblockable attacks too. After the patch venomshare sure is viable in PvP.

{Lepus Timidus}

Venomshare PvP viable?

in Thief

Posted by: BobbyT.7192

BobbyT.7192

will say this again, the current mechanic of venom does not work when it need to be balanced around venom share. I shouldn’t have to trait into shadow arts to make it work, not even talking about being viable at this point.

I wrote this analogy couple of months ago, after the last preview update. Will admit it doesn’t make sense in places, but I think it still mostly applies the current state of venom. It’s worth a cringe worthy laugh

Don’t know about anyone else, but I’m just not a fan of the mechanics of venoms. And these little update are not really convincing me otherwise. At this point I’m not using venoms out of spite more than anything.

With this preview, seeing the change to venomous aura and having it being talk about again reminded me of when they add Skelk Venom.
One of the devs (karl i think) said on a stream back then that “Venom’s were almost there”.
I would to say they are not almost there, they have no idea where they are going, they are just as lost as the day they started.
They are being driven around in a thing called venomous aura. They wish they had their own vehicle but they can’t afford it, and it’s better than walking.
Skelk venom didn’t change anything when he joined, it has no idea either. A bit slow in the head, but at least he brought drinks and snacks.
They have Basilisk Venom driving, who is a fast driver, and that has gotten him ticketed a few times.
Last time they got pulled over his hot girlfriend Lyssa got arrested, so now he is kittened.
These updates are basically pit stop for gas, which allows them to let people know they still exist. When they ask where they are, no one really talks to them.
When someone does give them any direction, they get long lengthy instructions which they soon forget as they get back into the car.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/thief/Venom-Road-Trip/first#post4281070

All this update does is give BV some coffee
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/archive/balance/Thief-gets-left-out-again/first#post4494852

Venomshare PvP viable?

in Thief

Posted by: Sergiu.3698

Sergiu.3698

yes is viable – i have reached Legendary Division on venomShare- i made a post in the pvp section about.
and a link here to see what u can do https://youtu.be/wWk8VlvZXrQ

But you guys are doing it wrong .For survival is DD and PD

twitch:enses_09

(edited by Sergiu.3698)

Venomshare PvP viable?

in Thief

Posted by: Urejt.5648

Urejt.5648

oh boys. Venom share builds were not viable to the present day, becouse they were burst builds which doesnt work in bunker meta. However, developers get rid of most bunker amuls! there is some room, especiallt basilisk is unblockable. Extremely good tool to destory revenant shield.

For now remember: thief is extremely weak in pvp. If u play thief in ranked u are griefing, losing game fomr the start.

Yo Hooj Jest Pole

Venomshare PvP viable?

in Thief

Posted by: Revolutionen.5693

Revolutionen.5693

Venomshare is most definitely viable in PvP. I’ve played it ever since the condi buff and it works great. I’ve always had a 50%+ win rate in both ranked and unranked. The major great thing about this build is that you can deal dmg on the other side of the map while you’re not even there. Put spider+skale+ basilisk venom on your entire team at start of match and you have a great chance of winning the first team fight.

Venomshare PvP viable?

in Thief

Posted by: Sadrien.3470

Sadrien.3470

oh boys. Venom share builds were not viable to the present day, becouse they were burst builds which doesnt work in bunker meta. However, developers get rid of most bunker amuls! there is some room, especiallt basilisk is unblockable. Extremely good tool to destory revenant shield.

For now remember: thief is extremely weak in pvp. If u play thief in ranked u are griefing, losing game fomr the start.

Lol… that’s why sind reached legendary with only thief, same with Kerrigan, etc… thief is only bad if your bad at thief.

Have fun. Be Alive. K Thnx Bye.

Venomshare PvP viable?

in Thief

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Lol… that’s why sind reached legendary with only thief, same with Kerrigan, etc… thief is only bad if your bad at thief.

Legendary X3 last I checked.

You can do just fine playing a thief in ranked, but you have a bit less wiggle room in build/playstyle. Sind runs D/P in a decap/+1 role which can work very well. Helseth also plays a shatter mes performing the same role and I’d say that both builds are pretty similar in strength. Check out the link below for Sind’s channel. I think this guy is pretty much the best thief to learn from currently.

http://www.twitch.tv/sindrenerr

As for Venom Share, I’d say it’s viable to some extent. When you start getting to the higher leagues, however, it won’t work as well. Good players will know to focus venom thieves and since you have to load your utility bar with with venoms and offensive tools, you just don’t have the escape potential that something like a D/P thief would. However, until you get focused, it’ll feel godlike with all the immobs and condis that you can share.

If you do decide to go venom, I’d suggest considering focusing on Stronghold more than Conquest as the high-CC nature of that build is a bit better suited to that gametype. The high poison up time is also good for preventing enemies from healing NPCs.

Venomshare PvP viable?

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

As for Venom Share, I’d say it’s viable to some extent. When you start getting to the higher leagues, however, it won’t work as well. Good players will know to focus venom thieves and since you have to load your utility bar with with venoms and offensive tools, you just don’t have the escape potential that something like a D/P thief would. However, until you get focused, it’ll feel godlike with all the immobs and condis that you can share.

^this. If your team is willing to take that risk, then the build is fine. IMO, you’re sacrificing a lot of good traits and utility skills just to make Venom share work.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

Venomshare PvP viable?

in Thief

Dahkeus.8243

^this. If your team is willing to take that risk, then the build is fine. IMO, you’re sacrificing a lot of good traits and utility skills just to make Venom share work.

Holy crap…did we just agree on something? =P

Venomshare PvP viable?

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

Yeah, I think we did.

Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen

Venomshare PvP viable?

in Thief

Dahkeus.8243

Yeah, I think we did.

This must mean that venoms will turn out to be OP/meta and we’ll both be wrong, haha!

Venomshare PvP viable?

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

Yeah, I think we did.

This must mean that venoms will turn out to be OP/meta and we’ll both be wrong, haha!

They’ve been trying to make this venom to work and it will never happen unless they redesign all venoms.

Venomshare PvP viable?

in Thief

Dahkeus.8243

Yeah, I think we did.

They’ve been trying to make this venom to work and it will never happen unless they redesign all venoms.

Yea, it’s not a true patch unless it’s got a useless buff to venoms, lol.

Venomshare PvP viable?

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

Yeah, I think we did.

Get rid of the venom path, make all venom shareable without needing to trait to anything so that they can finally delete Venom Aura and add a new useful trait in its place. I rather see a shadowstep path in SA than venom path. But that’s just me.

Venomshare PvP viable?

in Thief

Posted by: Anomaly.7612

Anomaly.7612

Yeah, I think we did.

Get rid of the venom path, make all venom shareable without needing to trait to anything so that they can finally delete Venom Aura and add a new useful trait in its place. I rather see a shadowstep path in SA than venom path. But that’s just me.

I love this idea and it makes sense. Shadow arts is supposed to be about shadows, not venoms.