When will they make thief viable in pvp/wvw?

in Thief

Posted by: Poxheart.2845

Poxheart.2845

Look behind key ??? You have to use your mouse L button to look around.

Yes, “Look Behind” key. Under control options, scroll down to the Camera section and you’ll see there’s an option to bind a key to look behind you without using the left mouse button. If you’ve watched anybody that streams their game play or makes Youtube videos, you’d see that this is something the better players use regularly.

Poxheart
Knights of the WhiteWolf

in Thief

Posted by: Karolis.4261

Karolis.4261

Look behind key ??? You have to use your mouse L button to look around.

Yes, “Look Behind” key. Under control options, scroll down to the Camera section and you’ll see there’s an option to bind a key to look behind you without using the left mouse button. If you’ve watched anybody that streams their game play or makes Youtube videos, you’d see that this is something the better players use regularly.

I do know where is “look behind” key binding and what it does. And I can see no reason why it would be better then simply using L mouse button. And no, none of the players that i consider good uses it. And dont mention youtubers or streamers here lol, many of them use their mouse to click skills.

PvP hero Valentin in action!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HiYUlhsO_M
cough*keyboardturningclicker*cough

(edited by Karolis.4261)

in Thief

Poxheart.2845

I do know where is “look behind” key binding and what it does. And I can see no reason why it would be better then simply using L mouse button.

Your loss.

Poxheart
Knights of the WhiteWolf

in Thief

Karolis.4261

I do know where is “look behind” key binding and what it does. And I can see no reason why it would be better then simply using L mouse button.

Your loss.

Don’t think so. I didnt have a chance yet to get jumped by 17 k backstab and 12 k hs thief by a surprise before i can simply 2 shot him myself by much tankier build then his.

in Thief

Posted by: Malik.6781

Malik.6781

To OP, never, better reroll to warrior.
No needs, only buffs.

in Thief

Posted by: Malik.6781

Malik.6781

No nerfs(sorry writing from cellphone)

in Thief

Posted by: aspry.6975

aspry.6975

So yesterday I was on my Mesmer, scouting around to the northeast of Bay when I spotted a thief near the western edge of the ruins. He was over 1200 range from me because my auto attack didn’t hit him. Given that he had friendlies nearby, I chose not to engage and started moving back toward the NE bay gate. As I began moving, but before I could hit my look behind key, I saw the vulnerability icon appear, so I hit Decoy & prepared to Blink. Before I could activate the second skill I found myself down (still in stealth) and watched a thief running past me auto attacking. Eventually he came back & stomped.

Afterward I checked the combat log (pitiful as it is) to see what happened. This is what I found:
First attack: 17,252 Backstab
Second attack: 12,141 Heartseeker.

Given the range at the start of the encounter, I figure he must have used Infiltrator’s Arrow to close the gap, followed by a stealth ability, Steal, then dagger 1 and 2 in quick succession.

I have no sympathy for anybody who thinks that Thieves are not viable in WvW.

I’m calling bs

Do you even balance anet?

in Thief

Poxheart.2845

So yesterday I was on my Mesmer, scouting around to the northeast of Bay when I spotted a thief near the western edge of the ruins. He was over 1200 range from me because my auto attack didn’t hit him. Given that he had friendlies nearby, I chose not to engage and started moving back toward the NE bay gate. As I began moving, but before I could hit my look behind key, I saw the vulnerability icon appear, so I hit Decoy & prepared to Blink. Before I could activate the second skill I found myself down (still in stealth) and watched a thief running past me auto attacking. Eventually he came back & stomped.

Afterward I checked the combat log (pitiful as it is) to see what happened. This is what I found:

Given the range at the start of the encounter, I figure he must have used Infiltrator’s Arrow to close the gap, followed by a stealth ability, Steal, then dagger 1 and 2 in quick succession.

I’m calling bs

Attached is an excerpt of the combat log. I hadn’t taken any damage prior to the JQ Colonel’s attack.

I’ve actually got no issues with the fact that it happened, and I’m not calling for thieves to be nerfed. I’m just pointing out the ignorance of the thief players that think that the class isn’t viable in WvW.

Attachments:

Poxheart
Knights of the WhiteWolf

in Thief

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

I’m calling bs

It’s not bs. You are just another thief who doesn’t know what his own class is cabable of.

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

in Thief

Posted by: Interceptor.2653

Interceptor.2653

Don’t think so. I didnt have a chance yet to get jumped by 17 k backstab and 12 k hs thief by a surprise before i can simply 2 shot him myself by much tankier build then his.

You’re just kidding yourself, here. A Thief can close distance on you without being in target range long enough for you to do anything about it.

I don’t run the same build as the guy that hit the Mesmer for 29k+ damage, but closing 2500+ units and arriving stealthed next to someone, is about as difficult as falling out of bed. Shadowstep, Steal (especially traited with Long Reach), and Infiltrator’s Arrow make it pretty easy.

in Thief

Posted by: Jakare.6807

Jakare.6807

I’m calling bs

Attached is an excerpt of the combat log. I hadn’t taken any damage prior to the JQ Colonel’s attack.

I’ve actually got no issues with the fact that it happened, and I’m not calling for thieves to be nerfed. I’m just pointing out the ignorance of the thief players that think that the class isn’t viable in WvW.

This is the kind of lopsided build you have to run as a thief to get that kind of damage on a level 80 opponent. 11-12k health, no defensive utilities, no defensive stats. Thieves can cover distance very quickly, even with a 3 signet build full burst d/d build you can use infiltrators signet + steal and be able to do 1800 range onto a target almost instantly. But if you miss your burst you have no way of getting out, and if you miss your second cloak and dagger (which will take your last remaining 6 initiative) then you’re completely out of options. No weapon skills, no utility skills, no heal skill, no elite skill.

Going balls to the wall full damage glass cannon is an example of high risk vs high reward, but saying that this is an example of a viable playstyle is really stretching it.

Úchî/Aulrathil
[TI] Team Ignition (Gandara)

(edited by Jakare.6807)

in Thief

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

I’m calling bs

This is the kind of lopsided build you have to run as a thief to get that kind of damage on a level 80 opponent. 11-12k health, no defensive utilities, no defensive stats. Thieves can cover distance very quickly, even with a 3 signet build full burst d/d build you can use infiltrators signet + steal and be able to do 1800 range onto a target almost instantly. But if you miss your burst you have no way of getting out, and if you miss your second cloak and dagger (which will take your last remaining 6 initiative) then you’re completely out of options. No weapon skills, no utility skills, no heal skill, no elite skill.

Going balls to the wall full damage glass cannon is an example of high risk vs high reward, but saying that this is an example of a viable playstyle is really stretching it.

Why is it not viable? Sure its not warrior face roll, but is that really what you want?

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

in Thief

Posted by: Meridian.8730

Meridian.8730

If you try that with a guard, a warrior, a necro, a ranger or most engineers…you’ll never pull it off. The first three will either block or simply have too much HP and/or defense to ever give those numbers…so this build is automatically NOT viable vs them at all because as soon as things start not working out for the thief, they’re dead.

in Thief

Karolis.4261

You’re just kidding yourself, here. A Thief can close distance on you without being in target range long enough for you to do anything about it.

I don’t run the same build as the guy that hit the Mesmer for 29k+ damage, but closing 2500+ units and arriving stealthed next to someone, is about as difficult as falling out of bed. Shadowstep, Steal (especially traited with Long Reach), and Infiltrator’s Arrow make it pretty easy.

Im kidding myself with what ? Where did i say that thief cant make that range in a blink of an eye ? Im doing the same with shadowstep+steal all the time myself, they never expect geting attacked from over 2 k range. All im saying that i have never been jumped by such a glassy glassy thief when I SEEN HIM COMING, which is what happened to that mesmer.

in Thief

Posted by: MrForz.1953

MrForz.1953

But… Thief IS viable in PvP, at least WvW for all that is. O.o The fields wouldn’t be infested by them if the class was FUBAR. And Warriors are destroying us all, not only Thieves.

Disgruntled Charr Engineer and Thief – Jade Quarry.

in Thief

Posted by: Stx.4857

Stx.4857

Lol, for that amount of damage, not only was the thief a glass cannon, but so were you. In which case I would have to say that is a terrible example of how thieves are okay in wvw.

It might be fun to instagib random clothies who run no toughness once in awhile, but you wont be contributing to your team because a slight breeze will down you, and you wont be able to engage in actual battles.

I am not saying thieves don’t have viable wvw specs, I can think of several. But the burst thief example is not one of them, and if you get downed by one, it is really your own fault.

2x 80 Necro, 80 Ranger, 80 Thief