Why can some Thieves kill my level 80 instantly?

in Thief

Posted by: metaphorm.6904

metaphorm.6904

seems to me like this is all the result of wacky WvW buffs more than anything to do with the class. seeing screenshots of people nailing 13K backstabs and 4K Dancing Daggers and stuff like that is a clear indication that there’s no semblance of balance or fairness (at least on a small scale level) in WvW.

if you look at the damage output of these abilities in sPvP battelgrounds you get EXTREMELY different results. Backstab crits will be between 3.5K and 6K (depending on opponent armor and toughness). Dancing Dagger hits will be for like 600 non-crit, so maybe 900-1100 crit (depending on your +crit damage stat).

if you fight under these more controlled circumstances in sPvP, where its actually balanced for small scale engagements, then you just won’t see these bonkers over the top insta-gib crits. those are clearly the result of World buffs and gear disparity. they are not anything to do with the class itself.

in Thief

Posted by: bwillb.2165

bwillb.2165

So you’re a mesmer, yes? Sounds like you just need to use your clones better. That thief could have easily wasted his burst on a clone and then been entirely useless against you. Or he could pretty much kill himself if you get some confusion on him during his burst. You saw him coming and chose to just sit there instead of taking preventative measures.

Plus these kind of thieves are pretty useless against a group. so if you were in a group and he managed to do this repeatedly, that means your group wasn’t paying attention to combat.

in Thief

Posted by: DrakeWurrum.6049

DrakeWurrum.6049

That thief could have easily wasted his burst on a clone and then been entirely useless against you.

You say that like it’s actually hard to tell the real guy apart from the clones without simply a few seconds of using your eyes.

Other than that, I agree with what you say.

I hope you haven’t forgotten my role in this little story. I’m the leading man.
You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

in Thief

Posted by: Fury.6248

Fury.6248

" Since noone has posted pictures yet, lemme show you what’s this all about

http://i.imgur.com/OJQHt.jpg

Poor Shiverpeaks invader :| "

Builds like this are for very unskilled players. Why do people build specs around killing one person every 45 seconds…. It is soooo incredibly easy to mess up these high 1 hit burst specs on any profession with a simple blind/stun breaker/Dodge. Good players don’t make these builds. If your currently running a quickness burst spec on a warrior ranger thief etc… or trying to run a back stab spec with assassin signet… your not doing much against good players. Can farm the players who have yet to learn how classes work but that’s it. One hit wonder specs are for average gamers at best sorry if I seem rude but it’s so true.

Dragonbrand Server
Devious(DVS)

in Thief

Posted by: Thadren Calder.1397

Thadren Calder.1397

Every build has it’s place and every build can be countered. Using one build over another doesn’t make you better or worse then someone who uses something else. How its used will determines that.

in Thief

bwillb.2165

That thief could have easily wasted his burst on a clone and then been entirely useless against you.

You say that like it’s actually hard to tell the real guy apart from the clones without simply a few seconds of using your eyes.

Other than that, I agree with what you say.

It can be, if the mesmer knows how to act like a clone

in Thief

Posted by: Korochun.5862

Korochun.5862

Thiefs are doing some crazy damage at the moment, I’m a 80 warrior with great gear and full defence and health tatics maxed and I have had thiefs burn through my armor and health like a hot knife through butter. I have also noticed thiefs trying to lure me towards them in WvW as I think they see warriors now as easy targets.

Warriors are easy targets. Possibly the easiest class for a thief to kill. If they try to engage you with a rifle, close in and slice them apart. If they try to close in, kite them and, when they finally close in, pop their own Steal item on them. GG.

in Thief

DrakeWurrum.6049

If the Mesmer acts like a clone, he’s not doing anything dangerous.

in Thief

Posted by: iHaukka.2815

iHaukka.2815

" Since noone has posted pictures yet, lemme show you what’s this all about

http://i.imgur.com/OJQHt.jpg

Poor Shiverpeaks invader :| "

Builds like this are for very unskilled players. Why do people build specs around killing one person every 45 seconds…. It is soooo incredibly easy to mess up these high 1 hit burst specs on any profession with a simple blind/stun breaker/Dodge. Good players don’t make these builds. If your currently running a quickness burst spec on a warrior ranger thief etc… or trying to run a back stab spec with assassin signet… your not doing much against good players. Can farm the players who have yet to learn how classes work but that’s it. One hit wonder specs are for average gamers at best sorry if I seem rude but it’s so true.

So you are saying you can stunbreak basilisk venom’s stoned state? The very moment you get hit by it, there is nothing you can do except hope for not dieing to the backstab. And not every class has ranged blind and it prettymuch requires “luck” if you want to dodge it. Im not that stupid that I just run towards enemy and instantly use steal when in range since most of the times, when running towards them, they start to dodge backwards like expecting some shadowstep coming up.

But yeah, I do it for the lulz and I enjoy every moment of it (especially when some poor rangers are chasing me).

One does simply walk into keeps

in Thief

Posted by: Krathalos.3461

Krathalos.3461

It won’t let me quote, but I don’t see how 14k crit is high when also using Assassin’s Signet. Now, if this were sPvP we were talking about, that would be high. But in terms of WvW, I’ve hit 13k without Assassin’s Signet. I personally don’t like that build, because, as stated, it’s a one-trick pony. You’ve got your entire build built around killing one guy, rather than using utilities to work around the ability to do far more.

Don’t get me wrong – it’s great for what it’s made to do. Just not my thing.

in Thief

Posted by: Coronach.6792

Coronach.6792

actually… that particular setup is fairly easy to counter, most classes have a “when stunned/knocked down/feared etc etc do X, 90 sec CD” traits, for thiefs it shadowstep us to a random location, necros it fear everyone who’s close for 1-2 seconds when they’re stunned, guardians have one as well but cant remember what it did, fairly certain all classes have one of those traits.
And even if they did change the CnD/steal “abuse” it wont matter much since steal itself will trigger the venom if you spec for mugged, the only thing that would change would be that instead for dying in 1 second you die in 1.5 seconds

(edited by Coronach.6792)

in Thief

Posted by: Mayama.1854

Mayama.1854

The problem is that most here dont see is that its unavoidable damage. Every other glass cannon build/profession can be countered because you see it comming. A thief glass cannon can burst you down from stealth. That its only 3 (or 4) seconds doesnt matter because you can stealth out of LOS which makes the time stealth is up irrelevant.

So remove stealth from thief glass cannon builds, problem solved. Dont whine that you will die all the time without stealth, all glass cannons do that deal with it.

Edit: Maybee i exaggerated here but you get what i mean

(edited by Mayama.1854)

in Thief

Posted by: Sinte.3590

Sinte.3590

Wow some of you guys have no idea about this game’s mechanics, it is quite sad really.

Shadow stepping to a target while casting is not an exploit, it is the way instant spells work in GW2. You can use them while stunned,knocked down, casting, whatever. They’re instant for a reason. No CnD into steal is not an exploit,its a tactic that thieves are (finally)starting to realize.

While I dislike the damage of the glasscannon backstab build (And think it is too much) saying that it is an exploit is just plain stupid,sorry. And to have the (lack of) brains to follow that up with saying that bullsrush into hasted 100b is an exploit… Loss of words here.

I don’t say this often, but L2P.

in Thief

Posted by: Kurow.6973

Kurow.6973

#1:

“Damage logs look like this:
You were hit for 6,693 damage from Dragonbrand Invader using Cloak and Dagger.
You were hit for 6,716 damage from Dragonbrand Invader using Cloak and Dagger.
You were hit for 1,338 damage from Dragonbrand Invader using Double Strike.
You were hit for 1,338 damage from Dragonbrand Invader using Double Strike.
You were hit for 3,988 damage from Dragonbrand Invader using Wild Strike.
You were hit for 1,576 damage from Dragonbrand Invader using Wild Strike.”

This log is incorrect. Wild Strike hits only once. There is also no backstab, nor stealing involved…just lucky crits. Therefore, the entire backstab complaining is just a joke…however…let’s continue.

#2:

Judging a class based on WvW is illogical. Multiple factors affect the output and sustained damage from/on players. This includes buffs and gear. You are NOT given max gear when you enter WvW.

#3:

“They’re using an exploit that I’ve, admittedly, proven works. You basically hit you’re cloak and dagger then steal ability, in that order, instantly.”

This tells me you have either never played gw 1, or the class assassin in gw 1. This is how “shadowstep” works. The action of shadowstepping does NOT interrupt your currently que’d command. It’s a simple displacement.

#4:

“I think you just solved the mystery. Thank you. It really felt like the thief who was doing this really was cheating, because no other thief even came close to doing the amount of DPS this particular one did. I truly hope ANet does fix it as you believe they will.”

“Hrm, that would definitely be an unintended mechanic, imo. They probably need to fix that.”

He wasn’t cheating. There’s really nothing to fix. It’s been this way since gw1.

#5:

If any thief is capable of dealing 9k backstab damage in a spvp, they’re squishy…no…pardon me, the word squishy doesn’t even begin to describe how ridiculously vulnerable they are. They’re a glass cannon. For example, a properly spec’d and played guardian can live through this thief after taking him on head on effortlessly, and to top it off, kill him in 2 smites.

#6:

“The problem is that most here dont see is that its unavoidable damage. Every other glass cannon build/profession can be countered because you see it comming.”

It’s very much avoidable, and is no different than other glass cannon builds. Understanding distance in the game is a huge advantage (this indicates that you’re playing at a higher level…so get better). If you understand distance, especially if you use your own skills as an indicator, you can easily avoid this type of thief’s oncoming assault by dodging once you hit the 900 range from the thief. You can also watch for his buffs (mainly for basilisk to get an indication of what he’s about to do). Wow, I feel like I’m giving away all the secrets.

#7:

Seriously…get better at pvp and learn the mechanics and skills of other classes, and how to counter them. You wouldn’t have to complain so much about this if you did that.

PS: Grats to all the thieves that can land a proper backstab within 3 seconds to make baddies complain about a balanced mechanic.

(edited by Kurow.6973)

in Thief

Posted by: Cameirus.8407

Cameirus.8407

its the problem wiht Intiative (or energy or similar) type classes that can just burn their resource on mega burst, its worse in GW2 as the thief can literally spam 1 button to nuke someone down in a few quick hits.

They need CDs on abilities and preferably the dmg nerfing alot (though thats true of the other burst class in warriors too)>

PvP should be a battle of skill, not a nukefest.

in Thief

Thadren Calder.1397

I really love reading that people’s solutions are to change the class mechanics. I also love reading how everyone hates burst damage thieves yet, there is an equal number of posts saying these same builds are useless and no “good” player will use them. If that’s the case where are all of the posts saying nerf toughness/vit thieves?

in Thief

Posted by: Player One.4932

Player One.4932

I love it when people say just use your ground target AOE when a thief goes stealth. That’s simply not the answer. There are four basic directions a thief can go (and this is admittedly simplified) so you get maybe a 25% chance to hit the guy for maybe 2-3k if your lucky.

I’ve seen many thieves take down 3 players in 20-25 seconds while being stealthed 75% of the time. They are probably goood players but I don’t think a bursty thief is limited to 45 seconds a kill. It’s more like 15 if that.

Violator Xx

in Thief

Posted by: Zera.8907

Zera.8907

Why is it that the one of the Thiefs primary counter classes is getting his butt whooped and he feels a need to come to the forums and QQ. There are many factors as to why you could be getting rocked so hard. What is your gear like? What is your armor at? What is your Toughness? You mentioned Masterwork which I believe is green quality, that’s trash, sorry. I run 4pc Exotic Valkyrie and 2 pc Exotic Zerker for my armor, 1 Exotic lvl 80 dagger and one Rare/Gold level 80 dagger and the highest BS I’ve landed has been 10k against some clothie who I’m sure was low level and poorly geared. My jewelry only consists of 3 gold pieces and the rest blues (working on getting golds/exotics)You can’t come here and complain about getting destroyed when you yourself are running a glass cannon build with NO defense stats at all. Like come on…..

Blackgate: Zera Mithrandir- Reaper| Zera Targaryen-Mes|Zera Naharis – Ranger|

in Thief

Posted by: milton.1796

milton.1796

They are meant to be a burst class, bad armour, high damage.
If they nerf the damage what do thiefs have left?
Useless stealth utility skills and no damage.

in Thief

Thadren Calder.1397

Well if they bring the damage down to be in range with other classes, or replace the initiative system we won’t be thieves anymore. We will be scouts that run in to see how hard a mob hits so we can inform the rest of our party.

in Thief

Fury.6248

No class currently depends on quickness bursts. They will be toned down.

Dragonbrand Server
Devious(DVS)

in Thief

Thadren Calder.1397

… I do believe a thief is designed around quick burst kills. if they want to rework the class then just call me a ranger that lost my pet.

in Thief

Fury.6248

That’s what 0 Cd’s on your ability’s is for. Haste is just a gimmick.

Dragonbrand Server
Devious(DVS)

in Thief

Thadren Calder.1397

Ahh, if you are just referring to the skill haste then i’d rather they adjust or remove that and give us something else then adjust the rest of the class.

in Thief

Fury.6248

Yes I was currently referring to the skill haste. As well as all the other ones that do same exact thing for multiple classes all feel very gimmicky and out of place. Kinda supporting the whole “Zerg” feel/trend currently going on. It would increase the dynamic of pvp greatly to adjust these ability’s to something better then the current state.

Dragonbrand Server
Devious(DVS)

in Thief

Posted by: Cyricus.2981

Cyricus.2981

Why is there a trait to make Steal apply stealth if one can simply CnD + Steal to get the same effect? Are we sure this is working as intended people? I mean, when I look at that trait, it does to me. CnD has a cast time. If they wanted people to instant stealth on CnD + Steal, then why add the trait or cast time to CnD in the first place? Is it simply using int vs. not using any?

In any case, I’m wary to start relying on something like this. I already use this with casting Caltrops and Stealing right to mobs/players to slow them immediately myself, so I’m not exactly trying to get it fixed, but it does seem skeptical. The real problem, however, is just the stupid amount of burst that goes along with it.

(edited by Cyricus.2981)

in Thief

Kurow.6973

its the problem wiht Intiative (or energy or similar) type classes that can just burn their resource on mega burst, its worse in GW2 as the thief can literally spam 1 button to nuke someone down in a few quick hits.

They need CDs on abilities and preferably the dmg nerfing alot (though thats true of the other burst class in warriors too)>

PvP should be a battle of skill, not a nukefest.

“Weapon skills cost initiative points, but they have no recharge time, so thieves can use them back-to-back. This allows thieves to stay flexible and responsive in combat and unleash a rapid flurry of powerful attacks.” – https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/professions/thief/

Read it, and understand it.

Thieves actually don’t hit that hard unless you spec it to be a glass cannon…oh wait…that’s what glass cannons do.

I love it when people say just use your ground target AOE when a thief goes stealth. That’s simply not the answer. There are four basic directions a thief can go (and this is admittedly simplified) so you get maybe a 25% chance to hit the guy for maybe 2-3k if your lucky.

I’ve seen many thieves take down 3 players in 20-25 seconds while being stealthed 75% of the time. They are probably goood players but I don’t think a bursty thief is limited to 45 seconds a kill. It’s more like 15 if that.

3 seconds is not a whole lot of time. If you CANNOT avoid a stealthed thief for 3 seconds, then I have some bad news for you.

“I love it when people say” a thief killed 3 people by himself in a 3v1. Yea…the 3 were terrible if the thief managed to 3v1 them. No, seriously…simply put; they SUCK!

Taking down 3 players in a 3v1 in 25 seconds and being stealthed 75% of the time means the thief was stealthed for 18~19 seconds. Realistically speaking, that is IMPOSSIBLE!

Burst thief is limited to 45s per kill with their burst BECAUSE the key skill to paralyze a target for 1 second (that’s right…it’s only 1 second) has a 45s cooldown.

(edited by Kurow.6973)

in Thief

metaphorm.6904

Thieves don’t depend on it either. there’s only one build that even uses Haste, its the Sword+Pistol build that tries to Haste and spam Pistol Whip. this isn’t actually the build that people complain about though. Its the Dagger+Dagger backstab build that generates the really scary burst damage.

in Thief

Thadren Calder.1397

Haste+unload for me generates about 30k+ dmg very quickly so i’d say haste is useful for more than PW. Most the time i dont have haste equipped, so many other skills i want to use with shorter recharge.

in Thief

metaphorm.6904

Why is there a trait to make Steal apply stealth if one can simply CnD + Steal to get the same effect? Are we sure this is working as intended people?

Yes, this is working as intended. Not every Thief has an off-hand dagger equipped all the time you know. Nor does every Thief put 20 points in Shadow Arts and take Hidden Thief trait.

Why do you assume something is a bug just because its good strategy? Is it a bug that Warriors can hit someone with Hundred Blades while they’re knocked down from Bull Rush? According to your logic it must be. A clever combination of skills that produces a strong effect, clearly the developers never intended that!

in Thief

DrakeWurrum.6049

God forbid one profession actually be different from another.

Let’s also all pretend that Hundred Blade builds don’t exist for Warriors. That Quickening Zephyr builds don’t exist for Rangers.

Sheesh, don’t any of you understand the concept of glass cannon?

in Thief

Posted by: Cyricus.2981

Cyricus.2981

Why is there a trait to make Steal apply stealth if one can simply CnD + Steal to get the same effect? Are we sure this is working as intended people?

Yes, this is working as intended. Not every Thief has an off-hand dagger equipped all the time you know. Nor does every Thief put 20 points in Shadow Arts and take Hidden Thief trait.

Why do you assume something is a bug just because its good strategy? Is it a bug that Warriors can hit someone with Hundred Blades while they’re knocked down from Bull Rush? According to your logic it must be. A clever combination of skills that produces a strong effect, clearly the developers never intended that!

I never stated it was a bug directly. I was just curious why they would add such a trait if it is intended. I don’t rightly know the reason, and I was trying to grasp for an answer such as int cost, etc. I even stated that I used this trick, but was wary to do so, because I can see the possibility of it not being in line, that is all. And Bull Rush + Hundred Blades isn’t the same thing at all, btw.

in Thief

Posted by: Humorless.1573

Humorless.1573

i hav 30 power 30 crit spec why burst class kill me??? :’(

If anyone is bad enough to whine about CnD+Steal then by all means, “fix” it. They’ll realize they’re bad when they die to Steal+CnD the “normal” way just the same.

in Thief

Posted by: fishergrip.4082

fishergrip.4082

This isn’t a problem just with glass cannon players. I have an 80 ranger with full knight’s emblazoned exotic gear (toughness is main stat) points in toughness, vit on some of my armor upgrades and certain thieves can kill me in 1 second. Thieves burst damage is broken. It doesn’t help that WvW orb bonuses are overpowered.

Maid Of The Coast

in Thief

Posted by: Shomaruki.7395

Shomaruki.7395

Just going to point the finger and assume most people who say learn to dodge a thief are the people who are actually the thief players themselves. I wouldn’t have an issue with a thief as long as he couldn’t attack me with 4 different attacks while under stealth.

^*ISSUE being, the thief is able to literally hit you with everything while stealth. My whole deal on it, you CAN NOT DODGE what you can’t see. Even if I were to make a random lucky dodge, oh wait I still have 3 more hits to avoid…and only 1 more dodge left…let me attempt another random dodge again.

I’m the [Captain] of the T.Coast

in Thief

Posted by: Shooopa.5632

Shooopa.5632

They’re using backstab on you – if a thief stealths them-self and hits you in the back, it does double damage. And some level 80 thieves have a skill which makes all backstabs critical hits too. They also have a skill which lets them deal 20% more damage to anything with 50% HP or less.

Don’t ever try to fight a thief one-on-one. That’s what they specialize in.

User will be infracted for this post.

in Thief

Posted by: phyxx.7425

phyxx.7425

spvp numbers arent that different. i hit a mesmer last night for an 18k backstab crit. almost 18k exact, i should have screen shotted it. the steal crit and cloak crit put them at under 50% hp then sig for 150% damage and backstabd crit with might stacks was super overkill.

in Thief

Posted by: Shomaruki.7395

Shomaruki.7395

Well I’m going to say this and I want to see if anyone can top what I’m going to say because I think I’m going to just end it.

As a Mesmer my clones and illusions will only and I repeat ONLY appear if I have a target selected. In fact about 80% of all Mesmer skills (Throw out the AOES they dun count in it.) require me to have a target. UNLIKE classes that can throw a miss chance up where they can dodge all attacks, Thief can’t target period. All I can do is stand there.

Even when I’m down I got finished by a thief that was still stealth. Normally I would just pop a illusion clone THEN disappear with my decoy downed. They won’t work unless I have someone targeted .

It’s not about there damage anymore. I can hit people with a couple 2-3k crits with my illusions but the difference is I can’t spam it and I’m still in the open for attack. And unlike them, unless I’m using clones, I’m always exposed.

I’ve went face to face with close range warriors that “COULD” do me in, but I can target them so I can escape a full combo being used on me simply cause my skills were able to active.

I’m the [Captain] of the T.Coast

in Thief

Posted by: BlueprintLFE.2358

BlueprintLFE.2358

How is cloak and dagger with steal an exploit!?
It’s combining 2 skills in a combo. Thieves have different ways to go into stealth, cloak and dagger plus steal does two things, A) it puts the thief into stealth, and B it blows a lot of the thieves initiative and blows their steal ability so it can not be used later in the fight.

It would be exploiting if using CandD with steal didn’t take any initiative, but it does.
If a thief hits this combo on you you will notice him stealth. Make some space between yourself and the thief as he will be attempting a backstab next. Backstab are easy to avoid, and not only that but they take a lot of skill to land. Ever tried only hitting your target from the back while he’s dodging/running? You only have one chance to hit the backstab as well if you ht the front of a player you lose the damage.

USMC 1st Battalion 10th Marines
Guardian-Blueprinted, Warrior- Grizzilli
[JCM] Guild: Ehmry Bay WvW

in Thief

Posted by: Shooopa.5632

Shooopa.5632

Just going to point the finger and assume most people who say learn to dodge a thief are the people who are actually the thief players themselves. I wouldn’t have an issue with a thief as long as he couldn’t attack me with 4 different attacks while under stealth.

^*ISSUE being, the thief is able to literally hit you with everything while stealth. My whole deal on it, you CAN NOT DODGE what you can’t see. Even if I were to make a random lucky dodge, oh wait I still have 3 more hits to avoid…and only 1 more dodge left…let me attempt another random dodge again.

The goal isn’t so much to dodge everything because you can’t – the goal is to not get backstabbed because that’s a hell of a lot of damage and their ultimate goal. If a thief hits you with a projectile from stealth instead, then you’ve successfully dodged them.

User will be infracted for this post.

in Thief

Posted by: Hyde.6189

Hyde.6189

Well if they bring the damage down to be in range with other classes, or replace the initiative system we won’t be thieves anymore. We will be scouts that run in to see how hard a mob hits so we can inform the rest of our party.

This is exactly what happened in a lot of other games. The rogue is always a class that’s pretty weak defensively but has stealth and high burst, but people always QQ about the damage so that gets nerfed, then people QQ about stealth so that gets nerfed. Then basically the rogue is a warrior that wear lighter armour, and everyone who played rogue either rerolls or quits.

Hopefully ANet aren’t stupid enough to let the whiners destroy this game too.

in Thief

Thadren Calder.1397

It’s always the people who aren’t … how do i put this … “very skilled” that complain the most and get the changes made to make it easier on them since they are the majority, and its really easy to use a thief against people who stand still. When in reality against another “very skilled” player its a hard balanced fight where if i mess up even a little i’m dead. Then after the so called “balancing” its a decent fight against the majority and almost impossible at the top end of the spectrum. So the question is who will arenanet cater to, the top end spectrum of skilled players, or the majority of people that want fighting a thief to be as easy as fighting a NPC.

If you are getting killed all the time by a glass cannon you must be doing something wrong. Glass cannon is more then just a cute term, its beyond true. If the thief is FULL GLASS CANNON, even a player with mediocre gear can kill a thief. If the thief is hitting for 10k crits they are FULL GLASS CANNON.

(edited by Thadren Calder.1397)

in Thief

Posted by: Weapon X.5163

Weapon X.5163

Keep defending the damage output, i’m sure it will help. frenzy+100b is fine too.

in Thief

Posted by: Uder.9187

Uder.9187

They’re using an exploit that I’ve, admittedly, proven works. You basically hit you’re cloak and dagger then steal ability, in that order, instantly. The result starts the CnD animation while putting you next to your opp. You instantly go stealth when CnD finishes, then you backstab for about 9k. Between those 2 hits, +Mug which hes likely specced for hitting for about 4, any health you have left over is minimal at best.

I have NO doubt ANet will fix this, as well as the Warrior equivalent bull rush+hasted hundred blades. Regardless of if that mechanic is ‘working as intended’ no character regardless of race, spec, or traits should 100-0 someone in 1 second flat. Period. And thats NOT an exaggeration. Trust me. I was doing it all day Sunday before I got disgusted with myself and went back to my condition build but I cant tell you how many /tells I got from haters and other thieves wanting to know how I did it…

reported this in beta and they didnt fix it. i play thief as my main, but hate to play like this, it takes no skill. i hope they fix it somehow by maybe lower the backstab damage. such a build has a lot of disadvantages though (like 10k HP, no cc breaker etc).

The Iron Triangle – Desolation
Leina Shade | Svea Lightbringer | Maximus Ironhide | Mara Deathblossom

in Thief

Kurow.6973

They’re using an exploit that I’ve, admittedly, proven works. You basically hit you’re cloak and dagger then steal ability, in that order, instantly. The result starts the CnD animation while putting you next to your opp. You instantly go stealth when CnD finishes, then you backstab for about 9k. Between those 2 hits, +Mug which hes likely specced for hitting for about 4, any health you have left over is minimal at best.

I have NO doubt ANet will fix this, as well as the Warrior equivalent bull rush+hasted hundred blades. Regardless of if that mechanic is ‘working as intended’ no character regardless of race, spec, or traits should 100-0 someone in 1 second flat. Period. And thats NOT an exaggeration. Trust me. I was doing it all day Sunday before I got disgusted with myself and went back to my condition build but I cant tell you how many /tells I got from haters and other thieves wanting to know how I did it…

reported this in beta and they didnt fix it. i play thief as my main, but hate to play like this, it takes no skill. i hope they fix it somehow by maybe lower the backstab damage. such a build has a lot of disadvantages though (like 10k HP, no cc breaker etc).

That’s because there’s nothing to fix. It’s how shadowsteps and instant skills work. If you don’t like it, don’t use it.

Backstab’s damage is fine as is. If you build a glass cannon, you’re SUPPOSED to do increased damage. That’s the point of a glass cannon. A glass cannon dying to a glass cannon, and then complaining is a joke.

in Thief

bwillb.2165

Well, yes, of course it’s the people playing thief. Because everyone else jumps on the bandwagon of “ERMAHGERD I don’t understand how thieves work so nerf them!”

Oh, and they CAN’T hit you with 4 different attacks while under stealth. As soon as a single attack is used, stealth breaks and is prevented for 3 seconds. The problem is that there is an oversight in how the server sends relevant player information when it tries to make them visible. It’s not a stealth bug, it’s not an exploit, it’s not a balance issue. The thief won’t even know that they’re still invisble to you. This is the same issue that causes large zergs to not be visible until after they’re right on top of you.

in Thief

Posted by: Sizzle Hint.1820

Sizzle Hint.1820

http://img5.fotos-hochladen.net/uploads/gw097m1hy8sfnpc.jpg

3k damage from the stealth (didnt crit)
8k dmg CnD
21k dmg Backstab

We’re looking at ~32k dmg in less than a second.

I can repeat this as soon as my Stealth is back up. (not that this is needed) Precision isn’t needed thanks to the 100% crit chance while in stealth. My Gear isnt perfect yet, i can do more than this while getting more hp.

This will be nerfed very soon so enjoy it while you can.

(btw this was done with 1 orb buff)

in Thief

Kurow.6973

8k dmg CnD
21k dmg Backstab

I can repeat this as soon as my Stealth is back up. (not that this is needed) Precision isn’t needed thanks to the 100% crit chance while in stealth. My Gear isnt perfect yet, i can do more than this while getting more hp.

Do you know what that green arrow pointing up means?

in Thief

Posted by: Sizzle Hint.1820

Sizzle Hint.1820

8k dmg CnD
21k dmg Backstab

Do you know what that green arrow pointing up means?

Not the point. Nothing should be able to do this much damage in less than a second. Even on a non 80 Char.

Im hitting 15k+ on 80s too btw..

in Thief

Posted by: Redscope.6215

Redscope.6215

The problem is Quickness.

The buff needs to be removed…from ALL classes.

End of story.