Why is our profession icon a boot?

in Thief

Posted by: Zodryn.4216

Zodryn.4216

http://imgur.com/a/8POV2

They are in alphabetical order. Seriously?

Edit: I don’t mean to sound like I’m complaining exactly. The icon isn’t awful but I just don’t get it. It doesn’t convey evasiveness, martial arts, staff mastery, or being a fearless daredevil. It conveys being fast, which is not unique to daredevil (i.e. base thief is already fast).

(edited by Zodryn.4216)

in Thief

Posted by: Scorci.3250

Scorci.3250

its a symbol for thieves running to other classes

in Thief

Posted by: Cyrus.4105

Cyrus.4105

My guild is already making fun of me for being a shoe. Thanks obamAnet.

Cyrus Neveris – Watchers of the Vale [WoV]

in Thief

Posted by: blarghhrrkblah.3412

blarghhrrkblah.3412

its a symbol for thieves running from other classes

in Thief

Posted by: Kageseigi.2150

Kageseigi.2150

Thanks obamAnet.

Yes, we can!

Umm… we can what??? :-P

Suggestions to overhaul the Thief…

* * * Thief Trait Shakeup * * *

in Thief

Posted by: blarghhrrkblah.3412

blarghhrrkblah.3412

Thanks obamAnet.

Yes, we can!

Umm… we can what??? :-P

It’s time for change.

in Thief

Posted by: Ravoku.1852

Ravoku.1852

Yeah it’s…kinda outta nowhere. Like, if I walked up to someone on the street to quickly draw me a symbol for the word “Daredevil” and they had no idea about the Marvel hero.

Just…I dunno…make it a fist? Something? I mean sure, making it a fist is about as creative as the Green Lantern is with his powers, but hey at least it kinda lines up with the whole “martial arts” theme.

in Thief

Posted by: vaan.2308

vaan.2308

Cause DD was Shoehorned in

in Thief

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

It’s to make it easier for people to figure out who to boot from their groups.

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

in Thief

Posted by: Cyrus.4105

Cyrus.4105

I can hear it now.

“Alright so we’ve got the initial drafts for the elite specialization icons in. You’ll see we gave Chronomancer a clock, pretty clever huh? Dragonhunter is an arrowhead, cause they get bows I guess. Berserker is a sword! On fire! Because fire things! We went with a swirly thing for Tempest because they spin around when they’re doing that lame overload thing… And there’s the others. What do you think guys?”

“What about Daredevil?”

“What about what?”

“Daredevil. The elite spec for thief?”

“Oh! Right! That thing… well… Thieves move about a bunch, how about a shoe? It shows how much they move around!”

“But other classes move around too…”

“We’ll slap a wing on it.”

“Perfect, push it.”

Cyrus Neveris – Watchers of the Vale [WoV]

in Thief

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

The Winged foot is the symbol of the Greek God Hermes. Hermes is considered the God of thieves. one of his characteristics was great speed.

The planet mercury and the Roman God Mercury is just a renaming of Hermes and the naming of Mercury the planet was based on its speed in orbit . The Element mercury was also called “quicksilver” due to its fluid nature and how it flowed again referencing Hermes.

in Thief

Posted by: Stinja.9612

Stinja.9612

Its a boot because we’re getting the boot…kicked to the curb ect. The wings are just symbolism for it being a swift rear kick.

I may be harsh but i care deeply about the game.
Twitch→ (http://www.twitch.tv/phenomatron)

in Thief

Zodryn.4216

I can hear it now.

“Alright so we’ve got the initial drafts for the elite specialization icons in. You’ll see we gave Chronomancer a clock, pretty clever huh? Dragonhunter is an arrowhead, cause they get bows I guess. Berserker is a sword! On fire! Because fire things! We went with a swirly thing for Tempest because they spin around when they’re doing that lame overload thing… And there’s the others. What do you think guys?”

“What about Daredevil?”

“What about what?”

“Daredevil. The elite spec for thief?”

“Oh! Right! That thing… well… Thieves move about a bunch, how about a shoe? It shows how much they move around!”

“But other classes move around too…”

“We’ll slap a wing on it.”

“Perfect, push it.”

Haha. I also find it funny that Reaper is a hooded figure that would seem to actually match thief (similar to our forum icon).

in Thief

Posted by: Rain.9213

Rain.9213

It really should be a fist or palm. Would make WAY more sense. Especially since it’s martial arts based.

Hell, even Pokemon knows how to make proper symbols for martial arts!
http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/thumb/4/46/FightingEnergyBaseSet97.jpg/200px-FightingEnergyBaseSet97.jpg

in Thief

Posted by: Stinja.9612

Stinja.9612

I may be harsh but i care deeply about the game.
Twitch→ (http://www.twitch.tv/phenomatron)

in Thief

Posted by: Scorci.3250

Scorci.3250

The Winged foot is the symbol of the Greek God Hermes. Hermes is considered the God of thieves. one of his characteristics was great speed.

The planet mercury and the Roman God Mercury is just a renaming of Hermes and the naming of Mercury the planet was based on its speed in orbit . The Element mercury was also called “quicksilver” due to its fluid nature and how it flowed again referencing Hermes.

don’t be a buzzkill this is a complaining thread

in Thief

Posted by: Moises.2196

Moises.2196

don’t be a buzzkill this is a complaining thread

babazhook.6805 is right tho. Remember the explanation they had for Dragonhunter’s name? Same situation. This does fit nicely with the idea of progression and that the thief is reaching the next level. Only problem now is how terrible of a condition the thief is in. If the thief was in a better place we would be admiring the symbol chosen for the DD.

in Thief

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

Cause DD was Shoehorned in

much as i like the daredevil (i’m keeping my hopes up they’ll fix its problems in time), this made me laugh out loud :P

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

in Thief

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

*They are in alphabetical order. *

are you telling me that the dragonhunter’s icon is a shield, and the herald’s icon (you know, the guys getting a shield) is a dragon?

:|

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

in Thief

Posted by: Unholy Pillager.3791

Unholy Pillager.3791

*They are in alphabetical order. *

are you telling me that the dragonhunter’s icon is a shield, and the herald’s icon (you know, the guys getting a shield) is a dragon?

:|

DH icon looks like an arrowtip, herald’s is Glint.

in Thief

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

Uh, Hermes wore sandals
[insert hipster noises here]

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

in Thief

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

I agree on palm or fist icon being better that shoe would fit base thief better. DD is intended to stay in combat not run away from it. Funny how I hate Hermes especially in God of War 3 I’m more of a Hades and Ares fan.

@Cyrus Hold this +1

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

in Thief

Posted by: Aguri.2896

Aguri.2896

The boot is horrible, but all of the specialization icons are pretty bad too. Would have been nice if they played off the base profession’s icon and kept some identity of the class. Dragonhunter is probably the only one that looks okay because it still sorta looks like a shield.

I’m only here because sometimes I just like to watch things burn.

in Thief

Posted by: Cyhann.2609

Cyhann.2609

/thread

in Thief

Posted by: Tabootrinket.2631

Tabootrinket.2631

Reaper’s looks like a thief.
Herald’s looks like a dragonhunter.
Why is dragonhunter’s one a shield ?? (an arrow with a chain would be more explicit)

Daredevil’s one reminds me of the Goomba’s Shoe from Mario so I’m okay about that.
(just it doesn’t seem to fit well, since the Goomba’s Shoe is like the strongest thing ever in Mario so…. )

in Thief

Unholy Pillager.3791

Reaper’s looks like a thief.
Herald’s looks like a dragonhunter.
Why is dragonhunter’s one a shield ?? (an arrow with a chain would be more explicit)

Daredevil’s one reminds me of the Goomba’s Shoe from Mario so I’m okay about that.
(just it doesn’t seem to fit well, since the Goomba’s Shoe is like the strongest thing ever in Mario so…. )

It’s not a shield! It’s an arrowhead! Already been addressed!

in Thief

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

its a symbol for thieves running from other classes

It’s to make it easier for people to figure out who to boot from their groups.

Gold, gold, pure gold!

in Thief

Posted by: Black Frog.9274

Black Frog.9274

Getting our kitten kicked?

I Like to Run Randomly Around the Map

in Thief

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

^ This is the correct explanation though.

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

in Thief

Posted by: Black Frog.9274

Black Frog.9274

No it’s not. Nothing else is explained in terms of Greek mythology.

I Like to Run Randomly Around the Map

in Thief

Posted by: Arctarius.2649

Arctarius.2649

I fight for allot of causes on these threads for Daredevil, but this to me is a stupid thing to complain about, I immediately thought of Hermes when I saw this, nothing wrong with that. be constructive and at least comment on the things that should see change..not icons you will only ever look at while organizing a party…

in Thief

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

They shoulda made it a demon with horns so we can be cool and edgy.

So many bad puns to be had with that boot.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

in Thief

Unholy Pillager.3791

No it’s not. Nothing else is explained in terms of Greek mythology.

Please. The guardian symbol is an Ankh. Of course they reference mythologies.

in Thief

Zodryn.4216

Hold on, I found out what the boot is for!

So very totally cool

in Thief

Posted by: Aguri.2896

Aguri.2896

So very totally cool

This post made the boot icon okay. Thank you for posting it, now I can laugh every time I see that awful boot lol

I’m only here because sometimes I just like to watch things burn.

in Thief

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

So very totally cool

He’s not wearing a Trenchcoat or Skirt so I approve of this boot.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

in Thief

Posted by: Ihales.3820

Ihales.3820

I find boot fitting.
You will get kicked if there are more than 1 of you.
Daredevil stinks like old boot.
Daredevil is only good for running away.

in Thief

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

So very totally cool

wtf have i seen right now oO

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

in Thief

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

So very totally cool

Can we get TEEF together to do a music video now? I will join TEEF for that.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

in Thief

Posted by: Kyrion.2749

Kyrion.2749

It was planned to be a shaft (a staff shaft) but then, ‘thieves got the shaft’ would be too obvious, and they changed it to something less conspicuous.

in Thief

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

It was planned to be a shaft (a staff shaft) but then, ‘thieves got the shaft’ would be too obvious, and they changed it to something less conspicuous.

I’m weak

Please take this +1

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

in Thief

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

Well, I always liked the boot in Monopoly lol.

It’s sturdy.

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

in Thief

Posted by: Tabootrinket.2631

Tabootrinket.2631

other professions : “hey guys I heard you got boots”

(edited by Tabootrinket.2631)

in Thief

Posted by: bliss.4305

bliss.4305

Ooooor….

Since whole Daredevil “Elite” Specialization is a lazy rework of Acrobatics… maybe it felt lazy and appropriate to rework the swiftness icon for Daredevil to make it a cherry on the top?

One does wonder…

in Thief

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

Ooooor….

Since whole Daredevil “Elite” Specialization is a lazy rework of Acrobatics… maybe it felt lazy and appropriate to rework the swiftness icon for Daredevil to make it a cherry on the top?

One does wonder…

Nooo that one is too much. How could I forget about swiftness?! More reasons it should have been a fist or palm.

Funny I think thief is the only talking about this.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

in Thief

Posted by: NiisanSora.6289

NiisanSora.6289

The boot reminded me of the Flash… maybe a DC fan got mad that a Marvel name was used :p Daredevil’s mask would have made a pretty cool icon (something kinda like this http://www.fardanmunshi.com/wp-content/uploads/MarvelMinimalism_DareDevilMask.png).

in Thief

Posted by: Selver.1307

Selver.1307

Ooooor….

One does wonder…

Nooo that one is too much. How could I forget about swiftness?! More reasons it should have been a fist or palm.

Funny I think thief is the only talking about this.

Talking about important things and being productive hasn’t been getting us anywhere. At least complaining about this we’ll get this doozy in 2 years:

THIEF:
-changed shadowstep icon to a boot. Updated tooltip to reflect this.
-added new icons for tripwire and infiltrators signet. Tripwire is now a boot, and infiltrators signet has removed the signet portion of the icon. Updated tooltips to reflect this.
-backstab – reduced damage by 18%. We still felt thieves were frontloading too much damage, they could almost hurt.
-pistol/* – reduced damage across the main hand skills by 25%. Added tooltips since we removed them 9 months ago.
-infiltrators arrow – range increased by 600. Now you can decap while you decap.
-removed boot armor slot(thief only) to balance the addition of elite specialization icons.

in Thief

Posted by: Vornollo.5182

Vornollo.5182

Fleeing/Flying out of Combat as quick as we can!
Yay!

[PUSH] Constant Pressure

in Thief

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

Our class icon should be a tombstone.

Or a loot bag.

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

in Thief

Zodryn.4216

I vote for a silhouette of a bike jump across a canyon, Evel Knievel style…