Why thief melee staff is stupid. (vs. rifle)

in Thief

Posted by: yolo swaggins.2570

yolo swaggins.2570

This post might just be a regurgitation of arguments made against thief staff, so take it as a collection of reasons why thief getting staff might not be as awesome as you think. So let’s start off with the biggies first and work our way to the more obscure reasons.

• Melee staff will not bring anything new to the profession.

Currently thief has almost all bases covered when it comes to combat both practically and thematically. CC and blinds are loaded onto x/p, spike and chasing is loaded onto d/x, condition burst can come from d/d and p/d, evasion spam is s/d’s baby and SP is a multitool. Thief can also support by selectively bursting down prime targets and provide party stealth. What it lacks is range, the ability to tank and generic support (healing/boonwall).

While SB and p/p are the ranged weaponsets for thief, they are both only effective just outside of melee range. SB’s projectiles aside from the auto and #5 are slow causing the thief to move into melee to do anything. Staff could be thief’s magic-based weapon, but then it would most likely involve blind and stealth spam, things thieves already can do liberally. The staff may also be used like a javelin, but then it starts becoming less of a melee staff and more like p/p. And if it doesn’t, it’ll not provide anything that other weaponsets already do.

Tanking capabilities cannot come from the weapon itself. Utilities and traits all factor into one’s ability to tank. For example, the only reason why guards can tank so well is because they have the equipment to counteract their low HP. Ample access to condition clears, heals and boons allows them to take punishment much better than most professions. With that in mind, thieves would need a close equivalent amount of these things to even have the ability to tank. This means traits and abilities would have to be OP if the thief wants to tank seeing as how thief currently have very few means to mitigate damage (not avoid, mitigate).

And finally if the staff provided generic healing and boons, not only would it probably suck due to thief having the worst heal scaling in the game but it goes against the very nature of the rogue archetype which ill explain later.

Everything else would be redundant. In short, a melee staff is more of a gimmick to the class than an actual improvement. I can’t think of anything short of an overhaul of mechanics and design philosophies that would make melee staff a good choice for the new elite spec.

• Contrary to popular belief, melee staff does not fit the thief thematically.

Thief is a rogue archetype. As a rogue archetype, the thief is supposed to have the reputation of a scumbag because their world revolves around killing and stealing.

The bo staff is a weapon designed to defend and incapacitate, not kill. It is used by civilians, monks and patrolling guards as a means of protection or as a way to fend off enemies without killing them.

Knowing this, there are a few things here that really conflict with the thief profession. For one thing, neither of the three come close thematically to the thief profession. The civilian is considered neutral good in terms of alignment and do not classify into any archetypes because they are bystanders. They have no desire to break the law for any reason. The monk can be classified within the healer or warrior archetypes and will only defend themselves from harm. Patrolmen are soldiers. They are classified to the warrior archetype and uphold the law.

The thief, being a rogue has no care for virtues, morals or laws. Suddenly dropping the life of crime for an honorable or peaceful existence would need complete upheaval of the aesthetic design of the profession lest we get a monk that can lay traps and use venoms. Why? It does not make sense nor fit with the theme of the monk.

Ninja, who sabotage and assassinate, would not use one either unless they specifically needed to keep a target alive. And even then it is better to choke a target out than hit them with a stick. They need silence, something that is effective and easily hidden. A bo staff is not easily hidden and if it is, it would not have the integrity to hold up to many blows. Daggers are easily hidden and have enough integrity to take some abuse.

Liaison for [Teef]
“Please stop complaining about stuff you don’t even know about.” ~Nocta

(edited by yolo swaggins.2570)

in Thief

yolo swaggins.2570

• “It looks so cool” is not a good reason.

Monk/ninja gameplay sounds neat. Unfortunately, alot of the asian-themed everything that players these days want are more or less already integrated into GW2. Kunai, we have d/d because kunai were designed to be and used as daggers way more than throwing weapons. Katana, means sword. We already have swords. Samurai, or bushi, are warriors that protect their lords. We already have guardians and warriors.

A blunt stick swung around at blazing speeds is flashy, elegant and graceful. But sometimes pretty != practical. A monk spinning through the air with a stick sounds like a staff rev had a baby with Deathblossom. But hey, you look like Darth Maul. ;D

• Pure melee can be boring too.

The excuse that rifle’s park/wait/plink is boring is just that, an excuse. It is highly possible to get bored of finding an opponent and constantly slapping the keyboard until one of you die and it happens all the time. And if you havn’t noticed, this is tied to one of the major reasons why most thieves have a “second main”.

This profession is forced into melee range and as such, hurts diversification by funneling most thieves into d/x backstab builds. At some point, they’ll want to switch up, so they go on their other main for a bit.

• Few are going going to use staff. If not soon, then later.

If thieves got melee staff, who is really going to be dropping bursty d/x or utilitygasm SB for it? Unless melee staff can fill either of their roles or provide a role as viable, it is going to be a gimmick and nobody is going to use it save diehard staff fans. So far we barely have a few good melee staff ideas, but not enough to give melee staff the right speculation fuel to get the community thinking that getting it is going to benefit the profession as a whole.

But look on the bright side, Darth Maul could be a combat role.

Ending Statement: With the staff hype being a recent phenomena, I feel the community needs to concentrate on getting players more keen to the idea of melee staff with good and well written ideas instead of spewing anime-obsessive bias all over the forums. Staff is not a guarantee and it certainly isn’t a boon to the profession itself for all we know. Hype up the practical, not the pretty.

Liaison for [Teef]

in Thief

Posted by: Kadsik.9281

Kadsik.9281

Everything you said was spot on, this stupid staff hype is out of control, i hate reading threads about how it would “be so cool to look like a panderen from Wow” makes me facepalm. Im glad to know not everyone out there supports a stupid idea like Staff monk.
Love your other Threads by the way, some opinions i can relate to.

in Thief

yolo swaggins.2570

Everything you said was spot on, this stupid staff hype is out of control, i hate reading threads about how it would “be so cool to look like a panderen from Wow” makes me facepalm. Im glad to know not everyone out there supports a stupid idea like Staff monk.
Love your other Threads by the way, some opinions i can relate to.

Attachments:

Liaison for [Teef]

in Thief

Posted by: godofcows.2451

godofcows.2451

cute fluffy magical 111111 dual focus teef master raceee

in Thief

Posted by: Tuomir.1830

Tuomir.1830

Rouge means red. Rogue is not a difficult word to remember.

Only fools and heroes charge in without a plan.

in Thief

Posted by: Tyr.6097

Tyr.6097

Thanks yolo swaggins. You nailed it!

Tyrs Klinge ~Thief~

in Thief

Posted by: sebradle.7034

sebradle.7034

We should just start a thread on why we all really just want off hand sword plox. Right everyone?

in Thief

Posted by: pepper.6179

pepper.6179

We should just start a thread on why we all really just want off hand sword plox. Right everyone?

why not focus!

[SA]

in Thief

sebradle.7034

why not focus!

You have a good point there, but did you do the math?

in Thief

Posted by: Seabreeze.8437

Seabreeze.8437

The rifle crowd sure is a salty bunch.

in Thief

yolo swaggins.2570

Don’t mistake pragmatism for salt.

Liaison for [Teef]

in Thief

Tyr.6097

why not focus!

Because thiefs are far away from magic?

Tyrs Klinge ~Thief~

in Thief

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

why not focus!

Yeah, going into complete invisibility and shadow-stepping is not magical at all!

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

in Thief

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

why not focus!

Thief stealth and shadowsteps is a form of magic though. Also, Assassin in GW1 had quite a lot of spell so having an elite thief spec resurrect that wouldn’t be far fetched.

in Thief

sebradle.7034

why not focus!

Yeah, going into complete invisibility and shadow-stepping is not magical at all!

Shadow bending elite spec with off hand focus would be awesome just saying.

in Thief

Posted by: assassin.7895

assassin.7895

condition burst can come from d/d and p/d

???
d/d takes ages to build up and p/d can’t burst by any means.

if melee staff is condi, you no longer need to kite and hide in stealth the enemy to get condi damage off

condi is utterly garbage on thief. with a new condi weapon that allows active gameplay (instead of passive stealth kiting the enemy) that might change. melee staff is not necessarily stupid vs rifle.

in Thief

Tyr.6097

why not focus!

Mechanics to adapt the nature of a class to simulate a hidden killer in a fast paced game is everything but a dedicated magic school.

Tyrs Klinge ~Thief~

in Thief

yolo swaggins.2570

???

if melee staff is condi, you no longer need to kite and hide in stealth the enemy to get condi damage off

condi is utterly garbage on thief. with a new condi weapon that allows active gameplay (instead of passive stealth kiting the enemy) that might change. melee staff is not necessarily stupid vs rifle.

d/d actually has 10s bleeds and with max condition duration will bump it up to 20s. So with d/d you can actually stack bleeds pretty high. p/d actually can put up a decent wall of conditions, especially for this class. Not alot of players know how though.

Liaison for [Teef]

in Thief

sebradle.7034

why not focus!

Mechanics to adapt the nature of a class to simulate a hidden killer in a fast paced game is everything but a dedicated magic school.

In guild wars 1 Lyssa was the patron god of both mesmers and assassins. That is why assassins could uses hexes. So they use magic also it was always my understanding that shadow stepping involved traveling through the mists.

in Thief

assassin.7895

???

d/d actually has 10s bleeds and with max condition duration will bump it up to 20s. So with d/d you can actually stack bleeds pretty high. p/d actually can put up a decent wall of conditions, especially for this class. Not alot of players know how though.

with one skill that’s highly telegraphed and drains a lot of initiative, it also takes a lot of time. enemy just needs to kite you and once you have no init left, kill you.
p/d only has bleed and torment (immob is not relevant, crap skill). torment is really low and short and is really hard to hit the enemy with, proper bleed requires you to kite enemy and outlast him(where is the burst?). all these condis can be cleansed easily. all skills cost lots of init.

and among all that it’s single target damage. condi cleave damage from staff is very nice and allows for more diverse gameplay

in Thief

yolo swaggins.2570

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/thief/Teef-Stacking-vs-Walling-conditions/first

The leader of [Teef] wrote this up and sent it to me to post for him. It talks about how to make thief’s conditions effective. Coming from almost 3 years of theorycrafting. Alot of thieves found it useful so there is something to it. Also with thief’s in combat mobility, kiting shouldn’t be that much of a problem.

Liaison for [Teef]

in Thief

assassin.7895

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/thief/Teef-Stacking-vs-Walling-conditions/first

The leader of [Teef] wrote this up and sent it to me to post for him. It talks about how to make thief’s conditions effective. Coming from almost 3 years of theorycrafting. Alot of thieves found it useful so there is something to it. Also with thief’s in combat mobility, kiting shouldn’t be that much of a problem.

You can’t kite on a point in PVP. Kiting is time doing no damage, which is bad in PVE.
You can’t kill someone in PVP or WVW, because he just runs away.

I’ve yet to see a good player who plays condi and actually does something, which is equal to D/P.

How do you deal with CC and condi cleanse in WVW or PVP? Is that build meant to be for PVE?

Why do you run S/D on it? I think melee staff which pressures enemy with additional condis additionally would suit it much better and you could use your utilities better.

in Thief

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

(Ranged) Greatsword Master Race!

/thread

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

in Thief

Posted by: Lolies.2059

Lolies.2059

I think i’ll be happy as long as we don’t get maces.

Ya, i think torch and focus are fine

in Thief

Posted by: MrForz.1953

MrForz.1953

Thieves use a form of magic with most of their skills and honestly I wouldn’t be against the use of a Focus to further enchance this magic. Of course, that is if someone actually wishes to be closer to Support than Mass Murderer 1vs100.

Disgruntled Charr Engineer and Thief – Jade Quarry.

in Thief

Posted by: Midi.8359

Midi.8359

I noticed the attention to melee staff in your post. I haven’t been paying heavy attention to the leaks, but I think it’s possible that the staff could be ranged. I mean, look at what they did for the mesmer’s GS.

Would be funny if they made a ranged staff that worked like a sniper rifle.

in Thief

stof.9341

I noticed the attention to melee staff in your post. I haven’t been paying heavy attention to the leaks, but I think it’s possible that the staff could be ranged. I mean, look at what they did for the mesmer’s GS.

Would be funny if they made a ranged staff that worked like a sniper rifle.

The datamined thief like guy holding the (datamined too) staff is in a posture that is more reminiscent of a martial usage of a staff than a mage one.

in Thief

Posted by: Black Frog.9274

Black Frog.9274

it’s dumb because thief doesn’t need another melee weapon, isn’t anything like a monk, isn’t a martial artist, has no physical skills (though I’d kind of like to have the warrior ones), and for sure isn’t a stand still and fight class. As for magic staves, thief isn’t a magic class.

All that said, since ANET seems to enjoy punishing thieves, it’s probably exactly what they’ll give us.

Also, what leaks? There are no “leaks.”

I Like to Run Randomly Around the Map

in Thief

Tyr.6097

Also, what leaks? There are no “leaks.”

They freak out and hype staff thiefs because of this image:

http://i.imgur.com/xA8qvVk.png

Tyrs Klinge ~Thief~

in Thief

stof.9341

There is also this [&AgFgEQEAAA==]

http://i.imgur.com/96W2uJ4.jpg

in Thief

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

???

P/d and d/d condition builds are not garbage. Any of the downsides you cite as fact can be applied to ANY condition class. It in fact easier to cleanse conditions from a Necro as example simply because they can not reapply them as quickly.

D/D does NOT take “ages to build up”. and you contradict yourself when you say later “kiting does no damage” even as you say “all the enemy has to do is kite” when dealing with d/d. Let him kite! One can Kite against d/p as well.

CC is easily dealt with. There is Withdraw , RFI , Dont Stop and hard to catch. There is also stealth available. D/D also has blind available if they take smoke screen and whitl over it this costing no INI and lasting 7 seconds. There is cripple available as part of the weaponset and the ability to use an off hand weapon for pursuit. It works fine in WvW.

If the only weapon you want to play is power d/p that your choice but to suggest Condition build thieves are “garbage” is nonsense.

(edited by babazhook.6805)

in Thief

Posted by: Maugetarr.6823

Maugetarr.6823

I think i’ll be happy as long as we don’t get maces.

Ya, i think torch and focus are fine

I’ll agree with you on the mace, but I don’t want torch either.

Focus could be fun with a GW1 style hex assassin.

Blank Players [BDL]-Anvil Rock
Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele
Rebalance Ideas for Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Dex.6139

Dex.6139

In a game that uses hammers and Greatswords as ranged weapons, it’s good to see we’re all thinking outside the box here….

in Thief

Posted by: Dex.6139

Dex.6139

The rifle crowd sure is a salty bunch.

TRA. (Thief Rifle Association)

in Thief

yolo swaggins.2570

The bo staff is a weapon designed to defend and incapacitate, not kill. It is used by civilians, monks and patrolling guards as a means of protection or as a way to fend off enemies without killing them.

“In the 103 cases of murder and manslaughter presented to the coroners of Nottinhamshire between 1485 and 1558 the staff figured in 53, usually as the sole fatal weapon. The sword, in contrast, accounted for only 9 victims and 1 accidental death.”
http://www.swordsmanship.ca/academy-articles/fighting-with-staff-and-spear/

Quarterstaff was quite common in medieval Europe, so it’s not a specifically asian weapon. Wanderers and vagabonds also belong to rogue archetype. Even Robin Hood, undoubtedly a rogue, often used one.

About damage mitigation – why not make a trait similar to Juggernaut (Engineer) – while wielding a staff, you constantly apply Stability and/or Protection to yourself, or just damage reduction with minor trait.

Even if you had perma stability and protection, which would undoubtedly kitten off guardians, you’de still need decent healing and condition cleanse which thieves do not have. I doubt anet will give us that seeing as how we make up for it all with stealth and evade spam.

Liaison for [Teef]

in Thief

Posted by: Ink.9058

Ink.9058

I was on the fence about the idea of staff, but oddly, your comments have convinced me it could be a good idea. While I completely agree that thief has no use for another flippy/evasive/burst-oriented melee playstyle (seriously, if there’s one base we have covered, it’s that), your comments about staffs being designed to disable or incapacitate got me thinking about the idea of staff as a control-oriented melee weapon. Knockdown sweeps, blocks, knockbacks, and even stuns could be at home on a staff weapon set, and those are things that for the most part we don’t have access to (yes there are a few stuns, but their usability is limited, except bask venom). Without knowing what anet are doing for pve really in HoT it’s hard to say if this would have much use there, but in pvp it could be a piece of the puzzle to get us something we currently can’t really offer a team: teamfight presence. Obviously there has to be a damage mitigation element there too, but an elite spec is much more than a new weapon, and we might not need as much mitigation as, say, a guardian, since we still have things like the acrobatics line at our disposal. The skill with a setup like that would be in landing your control abilities in such a way that you avoid getting blown up while doing it.

As for the idea that staff — or control-staff — isn’t on-theme, I think that’s pretty irrelevant. Part of the point of elite specs is to add new thematic elements to existing classes, so it’d be the easiest thing in the world for them to make it be on-theme. I would be surprised if they actually used the word ‘monk’, since that means something specific in GW lore, and is a word many players still associate with dedicated healers. Still, I can imagine an elite spec with melee staff designed to let thieves build for teamfight presence that incorporates elements, thematic and otherwise, of the GW1 dervish.

in Thief

Posted by: pepper.6179

pepper.6179

scepter would be cool. 2 more weapon sets could add a lot of variety.

[SA]

in Thief

Posted by: glehmann.9586

glehmann.9586

why not focus!

All the super-human abilities Thieves use aren’t just mechanics to simulate a hidden killer, but are actual magical abilities. Almost everyone can use magic: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Magic

My understanding is that Engineer (and maybe Warrior?) is the only profession that doesn’t have any magic abilities.