Guardian vs Warrior in terms of DPS

in Warrior

Posted by: Ebra.9176

Ebra.9176

Hi,

I know it might come to you as a little bit silly question but i’m in depply a indecisive position here.

Which of the classes is most likely to sustain a stable dps, which of it is good at burst? Probably before the nerf i would say its warrior ofcourse. But what about after the nerf? I’m not looking for defensive skills etc

in Warrior

Posted by: Scar.1793

Scar.1793

Warriors are more focused toward damage than defense unlike Guardians.
Guardians have less base HP, because they will have defense stuff no matter what. However they can have a good dps too. But warriors can have very good dps/burst both in raw damage & condition damage.

in Warrior

Posted by: mPascoal.4258

mPascoal.4258

Guardian can do some damage, but comparing to the OP God Mode Warrior in PvE about damage is kinda silly. No class in PvE can do as much damage as Warrior.
WvW and PvP, depends on spec, but Guardian in both of those modes usually go for bunker specs. Warrior in those can go either Bunker (Mace/Shield & GS builds) or damage and, if played well, manage to do pretty good.

Phask - Guardian/DH | Phaskk - Warrior | Phaask - Revenant

in Warrior

Posted by: redslion.9675

redslion.9675

Guardian can do some damage, but comparing to the OP God Mode Warrior in PvE about damage is kinda silly. No class in PvE can do as much damage as Warrior.
WvW and PvP, depends on spec, but Guardian in both of those modes usually go for bunker specs. Warrior in those can go either Bunker (Mace/Shield & GS builds) or damage and, if played well, manage to do pretty good.

There are also Guardian damage builds based around meditation that deal pretty good damage.

1 on 1 they are one of the strongest specs you’ll find around, but they are tricky, because of their low mobility. On narrow point, though, they are pretty dangerous.

You will never be able to know what an engineer is going to do next…

because he doesn’t know it himself

in Warrior

Posted by: Khenzo.2465

Khenzo.2465

In PvE dps guards out dps warriors.

Warriors being the kings of damage in PvE is a myth. People see the HB numbers and scream OP. It’s been proven time and time again warrior is not king of dps in a group that knows what It’s doing at least.

in Warrior

Posted by: Clumsy.6257

Clumsy.6257

Guards take #3 on the dps scale while warriors tied at #4, guard deals a decent % higher than a warrior in a party situation only, for solo play warrior tops guardian and takes the #3 spot

in Warrior

Posted by: killahmayne.9518

killahmayne.9518

I have never played a DPS Guardian in PvE but I would argue that Guardians are the kings of PvE rather than warriors. In terms of damage DPS Guardians are probably up there with warriors. But the ability of a Guardian to stack might, put down reflective walls, give regeneration/protection/heals, group mobs and all the while DPS’ing a kitten load is more valuable than a warrior’s DPS and their banners.

Warrior’s are probably the king of PUG PvE.

Mace/Greatsword Video (Sept Patch)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoAjKtD6MLY

in Warrior

Posted by: Flissy.4093

Flissy.4093

Guardians are better damage. A big 100B number doesn’t mean good DPS as its a long channel skill.

Light Up the Darkness
“Dear ANet, nerf Paper, Scissors is fine. Sincerely, Rock”
Elysaurus | Warrior | [LOL] | League of the Legendary | Gandara (EU)

in Warrior

Posted by: brandon.6735

brandon.6735

Guardianhipster
Thiefhipster

in Warrior

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guards take #3 on the dps scale while warriors tied at #4, guard deals a decent % higher than a warrior in a party situation only, for solo play warrior tops guardian and takes the #3 spot

Guard is #4 and Warrior is roughly tied with necro at #5 actually. Also note that there’ a big jump between #4 (guardian) and #3 (thief) and a big jump from there to #2 (mesmer) and another big jump to #1. So in reality the DPS scale looks more like:

Elementalist >> Mesmer >> Thief >>>>> Guardian > Warrior,Necro,Ranger,Engineer

That’s in terms of ideal max DPS though. In terms of stable DPS warrior actually tops guardian by a fair bit, and solo/open-world burst DPS is a whole different matter entirely.

in Warrior

Clumsy.6257

Guard is #4 and Warrior is roughly tied with necro at #5 actually. Also note that there’ a big jump between #4 (guardian) and #3 (thief) and a big jump from there to #2 (mesmer) and another big jump to #1. So in reality the DPS scale looks more like:

That’s in terms of ideal max DPS though. In terms of stable DPS warrior actually tops guardian by a fair bit, and solo/open-world burst DPS is a whole different matter entirely.

I normally count mesmer as a wildcard because its damage relies on phantasms. And what do you mean by stable dps? Dps with a typical pug party’s buffs?

in Warrior

Posted by: Tarkan.5609

Tarkan.5609

If u have no might stacking already guardian is always nice – I don’t know how long these 12 stacks last but I think 2 guards should be able (with some boon duration maybe?) to let the team have a lot of might stacks, but the damage from warriors is just incredible.
And a full warrior party with might on critical hits with gs and all running for great justice could also have ~25 might stacks (15 from for great justice, the rest from either elite or crits) easily
All in all warrior have way better DPS but if u are looking at the DPS boost a guardian can give a team that doesn’t stack might already maybe the guard wins

PvP, Teef & Engi

in Warrior

Posted by: Omg Casey.5973

Omg Casey.5973

The only time a guardian does more dps than a warrior is when the guardian has the party buffs coming from the warrior, banners etc.

Death and Taxes [DnT]
Warrior- Emperor casey
Elementalist- Klyptis

in Warrior

Posted by: Omg Casey.5973

Omg Casey.5973

Sorry i may have to disagree, mesmer certainly does not have higher dps than thief (perhaps if it’s a high reflect situation like lupicus, than yes). Also, I’d say thief and ele are more closely tied (depending on ele build) but thief may till take the cake for #1 dps when there is no FGS.

Death and Taxes [DnT]
Warrior- Emperor casey
Elementalist- Klyptis

in Warrior

Posted by: NiloyBardhan.9170

NiloyBardhan.9170

In PvE, I play both zerker Warrior as well as guardian and if you ask me, warrior DPS >> guardian DPS, but guardian has more defensive mechanics like perma aegis every 40 seconds, boons,etc although warriors have the highest HP base.

14 80s – Niloy Bardhan (warr) ¦ Cute Asura Niloy (guard) ¦ Madhumita Bardhan (ele)
“Owner of the rarest items in Tyria” Legendary collector 8/5 – 300% base MF
Yak’s Bend website – yaks-bend.enjin.com (temporary) #YakForever #YB4LYFE

in Warrior

Clumsy.6257

Omg Casey.5973:

Sorry i may have to disagree, mesmer certainly does not have higher dps than thief (perhaps if it’s a high reflect situation like lupicus, than yes). Also, I’d say thief and ele are more closely tied (depending on ele build) but thief may till take the cake for #1 dps when there is no FGS.

Mesmer does have higher theoretical dps. The problem is its theoretical because the chances of having 3 phantasmal swordsmen up is 0.1%. And assuming both thief and ele are running top dps builds, it comes down to party-wide stealth or fgs.

(edited by Clumsy.6257)

in Warrior

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Thief is not remotely a contender for DPS against elementalists. Even a dead elementalist can outDPS a thief in a short enough fight if the elementalist is able to unload his initial rotation (Eruption > Lava Font > Meteor Shower) before dying. Thief is somewhat of a contender against a two-phantasm mesmer if the fight is short enough that he doesn’t run out of initiative. Against a three-phantasm mesmer, it’s no contest.

Omg Casey.5973:

Mesmer does have higher theoretical dps. The problem is its theoretical because the chances of having 3 phantasmal swordsmen up is 0.1%. And assuming both thief and ele are running top dps builds, it comes down to party-wide stealth or fgs.

Three phantasms actually isn’t hard in most cases and winds up very fast since you have two offhands to juggle between. It’s primarily only a problem when you’re up against a boss who constantly spams OHKO AOEs like the Ooze boss in Arah. Even if three isn’t necessarily practical, 2 phantasms is still enough to compete with a thief and 1 is enough to compete with everyone else. Don’t forget that illusions typically don’t take aggro and they’re all on short CD so even if they die eventually, you’ll be ready to put them back up immediately.

in Warrior

Posted by: mini.6018

mini.6018

In PvE dps guards out dps warriors.

Warriors being the kings of damage in PvE is a myth. People see the HB numbers and scream OP. It’s been proven time and time again warrior is not king of dps in a group that knows what It’s doing at least.

Guardian can do a lot more damage in the right scenario than warrior but it takes a lot more skill to pull it off.Warrior is very easy to control hence it will always the the nr1 in pve at least in prefference.I would say 98 wars/2 dps guards ratio just to pull numbers out of my kitten.

Actually even if i only main a warrior for pvp i always preffer my guardian for pve.The gameplay is a lot more fluid against the telegraphed or warrior.And now with the new meditation changes and runes with 25% moving speed playing a dps guard is easier and more fun than ever.

(edited by mini.6018)

in Warrior

Posted by: Scoobaniec.9561

Scoobaniec.9561

Guardian has highter dps than warrior, but as said up its harder to pull off.

in Warrior

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

DPS ele is the easiest to pull off, just point in the general direction of the target and mash on Lava Font till everything is dead.

in Warrior

Posted by: mesme.5028

mesme.5028

Theory crafting is one thing but reality is speed runs are ele groups, or was it mesmer’s or maybe guard groups? no wait its thief’s.

Buff warriors pls they clearly are one of the worst to have in a group.

(edited by mesme.5028)

in Warrior

Posted by: NiloyBardhan.9170

NiloyBardhan.9170

Theory crafting is one thing but reality is speed runs are ele groups, or was it mesmer’s or maybe guard groups? no wait its thief’s.

Buff warriors pls they clearly are one of the worst to have in a group.

I sense sarcasm….

14 80s – Niloy Bardhan (warr) ¦ Cute Asura Niloy (guard) ¦ Madhumita Bardhan (ele)
“Owner of the rarest items in Tyria” Legendary collector 8/5 – 300% base MF
Yak’s Bend website – yaks-bend.enjin.com (temporary) #YakForever #YB4LYFE

in Warrior

Posted by: TheGuy.3568

TheGuy.3568

Lets gets this completely clear. Big pretty numbers do not equal DPS. A sword guardian is literally going to blow past 100B GS with auto attack. If your axe there is a chance but if the guardian runs anything like 10 30 0 5 25 in a group you won’t really be touching his DPS. That being said the differences are marginal at best. LH ele, DD thief, Phant Mesmer (with 3 phantasmal swordsmen up but it takes time to get rolling /shrug) Guardian, Warrior, etc. The thing is the differences are not insanely wide and in most cases you wont run full zerker built for DPS even if you did you would need group support (might stacks, reflects, etc) to get the most out of it so your not dodging all the time trying to stay alive.

Lets cut the BS right now. Solo due to your might stacks and high base damage your warrior will blow past regular mobs much quicker than just about any class (save thief and guardian) and will down vets the fastest solo. In a group the sword guardian who also happens to have reflect, is managing your groups condis, giving a fire field and giving you blocks also happens to be blowing past your DPS with auto attack.

BTW 1 last note. Highest DPS guardian in a group does not run meditations.

Kor The Cold Heart War
Wrekkes-Engineer Kore Rok Thief-Asraithe-Ele

(edited by TheGuy.3568)

in Warrior

Posted by: mini.6018

mini.6018

Why would it?Meditations(on dps builds) are for gap closing and quick burst in pvp scenario only.In pve you don’t need a quick burst and no gap closers since your target is always there.Fury not needes so much in zerk.

But you did good to specify,guardian except full bunker copy paste builds are a real mistery for this community.

Ps: i would also love to see summons changed so they will finally be usable.Their recharge should work like ranger spirits.It’s too lame to have to wait 60 seconds to have it up again,it makes them completely useless.

in Warrior

Posted by: TheGuy.3568

TheGuy.3568

Why would it?Meditations(on dps builds) are for gap closing and quick burst in pvp scenario only.In pve you don’t need a quick burst and no gap closers since your target is always there.Fury not needes so much in zerk.

But you did good to specify,guardian except full bunker copy paste builds are a real mistery for this community.

Ps: i would also love to see summons changed so they will finally be usable.Their recharge should work like ranger spirits.It’s too lame to have to wait 60 seconds to have it up again,it makes them completely useless.

You should read some of the previous post.

Kor The Cold Heart War
Wrekkes-Engineer Kore Rok Thief-Asraithe-Ele