Higher DPS? Axe/mace or GS?

in Warrior

Posted by: Kellhus.8071

Kellhus.8071

In GW2 terms “mobility” do mean skills that moves you around, i.e Whirlwind Attack.

The dictionary, in this case, be kitten

I’m talking about Hundred Blades.

Can you link me the “GW2 definition” of mobility, then? Not being facetious at all… I’m seriously curious to know where they say this.

Just ask anyone in-game or in the class forums what they consider mobility. Just like how mob somehow means just one entity rather than a group. Its just generally agreed upon.

This made me laugh..

The term “mob”, in mmo parlance, is a throwback to old MUDs. Mob is a type of NPC, it’s short for “mobile”. One that moves around in a predetermined path, as opposed to one that does not move.

Beyond that, and on topic, in my experience most players do more overall damage with GS. Not because the damage is higher, but because the extra dodging you get from attacks that sling you all over the place will, even accidentally, keep them alive longer. .

in Warrior

Posted by: timecookie.8570

timecookie.8570

Get Sharpened Axes in Discipline and you can pretty much spam Eviscerate whenever it is up and still stay at full Adrenaline most of the time. You can go one step further and get Adrenal Reserves which makes your Burst abilities only drain 2/3s of your Adrenaline for easier recovery.

There’s your burst damage right there.

Burst damage should occur during a short period, it’s not a matter of “spamming” Eviscerate every 10 secs but a matter of doing so your mean damage for the next few secs is better. Using 100B+WW+Eviscerate as a final blow is a burst.

What’s more is that using Eviscerate rather lower your DPS for the next few secs because of the Berserker’s Power and Heightened Focus. This plus the backswing of the attack is not appealing compared to just auto-attack. But that’s a comon downside that comes with burst dmg.

Having “burst” damages does not only mean you can see 10k+ numbers on your screen.

in Warrior

timecookie.8570

I’m convinced if they took the tallying number off of 100B this silly issue wouldn’t happen anymore. People are fooled by that high number when in reality it’s a bunch of small numbers stacked up. The fact is axe auto attack hits harder per hit than 100B. Only + side to 100B is the amout of hits in 3 seconds. Then you’re back to kittenty DPS for your 6 and a 1/4 cooldown.

That’s right, this is where the 5sec swap shines. You don’t want to spend too much time hitting with GS auto-attack. My ideal dps cycle would be 100B+ immobile Whirlwind Attack (otherwise just 100B), swap to Axe, 1-1-2-1-1-1 and so on until swap is ready again. I fint it pretty stronger than sticking with just GS.

in Warrior

Posted by: CookMETEnder.7582

CookMETEnder.7582

I’m convinced if they took the tallying number off of 100B this silly issue wouldn’t happen anymore. People are fooled by that high number when in reality it’s a bunch of small numbers stacked up. The fact is axe auto attack hits harder per hit than 100B. Only + side to 100B is the amout of hits in 3 seconds. Then you’re back to kittenty DPS for your 6 and a 1/4 cooldown.

That’s right, this is where the 5sec swap shines. You don’t want to spend too much time hitting with GS auto-attack. My ideal dps cycle would be 100B+ immobile Whirlwind Attack (otherwise just 100B), swap to Axe, 1-1-2-1-1-1 and so on until swap is ready again. I fint it pretty stronger than sticking with just GS.

Agreed, that’s what I do.
The question is… Axe/Axe for perma fury or Axe/Mace for vulnerability?
I find that I can stack 8+ with normal attacks and 4 more with axe #2.
So axe/axe for perma fury?

in Warrior

Posted by: Oglaf.1074

Oglaf.1074

Get Sharpened Axes in Discipline and you can pretty much spam Eviscerate whenever it is up and still stay at full Adrenaline most of the time. You can go one step further and get Adrenal Reserves which makes your Burst abilities only drain 2/3s of your Adrenaline for easier recovery.

There’s your burst damage right there.

Burst damage should occur during a short period, it’s not a matter of “spamming” Eviscerate every 10 secs but a matter of doing so your mean damage for the next few secs is better. Using 100B+WW+Eviscerate as a final blow is a burst.

What’s more is that using Eviscerate rather lower your DPS for the next few secs because of the Berserker’s Power and Heightened Focus. This plus the backswing of the attack is not appealing compared to just auto-attack. But that’s a comon downside that comes with burst dmg.

Having “burst” damages does not only mean you can see 10k+ numbers on your screen.

Actually it does.

A single hit of 13.000 to 15.000 damage is the very definition of “burst” in MMORPG terms. As for Berserker’s Power: with Sharpened Axes and and a decent crit rate, you’ll be back to full in no time. Especially with Adrenal Reserves, and if hitting two or three mobs at once.

I really wish Warriors worked like that by default. By spending 30 points in Discipline as well as using an Axe in my mainhand I feel that I’m finally playing Warrior the way the class was supposed to play when they came up with the concept. Without these Adrenaline-based Traits, you’re almost always better off with just hoarding your Adrenaline.

I can do thirty Five-Dolyak Arm Curls.

Do you even lift, bro?

(edited by Oglaf.1074)

in Warrior

timecookie.8570

Well if you are facing 2 or 3 enemies, you don’t want to Eviscerate which is single target so you might not need to replenish your Adrenaline bar anyway. Most of the time.

Then, I agree you can recover your Adreanaline in no time but think about how many hits you will have to do without the full boni.

Now about Eviscerate itself I dislike taking it as part of a “dps cycle” as you need time to deliver the blow and time to recover from it (backswing). It is simply not as fast as auto-attack and I’m pretty sure that if you count your total damage using just your auto-attack for one minute against an immobile target it will out-damage the auto-attack + Eviscerate.

Still I use it to close the gap when I am out of range and/or when I need to replenish my endurance.

in Warrior

timecookie.8570

Axe offhand main utility was to bring the whirlwind attack which combines 5 targets simultaneously and great regen using Omnomberry Pie/Ghost which is now out of date. About the fury you should have enough with For Great Justice and Signet of Rage, possibly Disc. Banner and maybe some boon duration, not to mention that you’re not alone in dungeons.
This is why I think Axe offhand is now obsolete so my personnal way to go is either Mace or Shield for specific fights.

You should not only consider the vulnerability coming from the Mace, Tremor is insane.

in Warrior

CookMETEnder.7582

Axe offhand main utility was to bring the whirlwind attack which combines 5 targets simultaneously and great regen using Omnomberry Pie/Ghost which is now out of date. About the fury you should have enough with For Great Justice and Signet of Rage, possibly Disc. Banner and maybe some boon duration, not to mention that you’re not alone in dungeons.
This is why I think Axe offhand is now obsolete so my personnal way to go is either Mace or Shield for specific fights.

You should not only consider the vulnerability coming from the Mace, Tremor is insane.

Yea, Tremor is sexy
Oh, wow, forgot all about banner of discipline… even though it’s on my skillbar lol..
I find myself running FGJ, Banner of Discipline, and Signet of Stamina (I can’t get over how many dodges I Get… love it lol)

Too bad there aren’t many sexy maces… I might go shield simply for the skin lol

in Warrior

CookMETEnder.7582

Oh wait… now the question is…
Axe/Mace vs Axe/Warhorn (untraited) 0________0

in Warrior

Posted by: Raptured.9307

Raptured.9307

For me, my mainhand is always going to be axe/mace. Question is, what should i replace axe/axe with?

Rank 37 spvp, dungeon master
[HL] Deadly Protection @ Sanctum of Culling

in Warrior

CookMETEnder.7582

For me, my mainhand is always going to be axe/mace. Question is, what should i replace axe/axe with?

Sorry, no clue.
I have primarily utilized axe mainhand as a secondary for the downtime of HB on great sword.

in Warrior

Kellhus.8071

With easy access to the trait that reduces rifle CD, and give it shot penetration, is swapping between GS 100b and rifle Flurry viable?

Running 20/30/0/0/20 gives you a bonus of 10% on bleeds which you’re getting from rifle, and CDs line up well enough to swap back and forth.

in Warrior

CookMETEnder.7582

With easy access to the trait that reduces rifle CD, and give it shot penetration, is swapping between GS 100b and rifle Flurry viable?

Running 20/30/0/0/20 gives you a bonus of 10% on bleeds which you’re getting from rifle, and CDs line up well enough to swap back and forth.

A lot of warriors go GS/Rifle, but I often find GS/Axe-Any to be a superior option (given you can dodge well). The few times I need ranged for a boss, I’ll just switch to a bow/rifle.
It’s viable, but I honestly don’t like it all too much xD

in Warrior

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

That’s 2 traits in the same trait line though. The traits in Arms I enjoy using is either the vulnerability on crit, extra bleed duration, Greatsword or Rifle cooldown, and Quickness on low foes. I tend to swap between GS and Rifle so I can keep the vuln on the 1st slot, and quickness on the last slot. I suppose if you don’t mind giving up the Grandmaster trait slot, you’d be fine but I just enjoy it too much to do GS and Rifle both traited.

in Warrior

timecookie.8570

Oh wait… now the question is…
Axe/Mace vs Axe/Warhorn (untraited) 0________0

I used to play a traited Warhorn few weeks ago (basically my first days as Warrior) and I found it pretty useful as extra Utilities / very solid group dispel but at the cost of the Master tier of Strength. The Vigor is also more than acceptable considering it is given to all your group and will greatly help if you’re playing PuGs or with non-hardcore players who can play without it. If not traited, I would never play it though.

Volley (Rifle #3) damage is ok for a ranged weapon but bear in mind that it has nothing to compare with melee damage. You don’t want to swap from a melee weapon to a ranged weapon if you have the ability to stay in melee, that would reduce your dps.
If you’re playing with a GS, there’s no way you have lesser than 25 in Arms because your enemy will always bleed, whether you have a rifle equiped or not. The bleed source from the rifle should not be an argue for PvE.
Finally if you’re getting 30 Arms, that would be a shame not to pick the Quickness.

in Warrior

Kellhus.8071

I get the logic — but if 100b is on cd, are you really saying that Volley does less damage than axe auto attack? In a group with all the good buffs going I can routinely break 12-14k from a single volley, which is only like 2.something seconds (I think), which is higher damage than I’d think axe would give me over that time.

You could rifle 3, rifle 4 (for vuln), and then within a second go back to GS.

I can see it losing benefit with a mesmer dropping time warp, where you’re stuck autoattacking after you burn through rifle3 and 4 — but outside of that I wouldnt think it that far off.

in Warrior

Posted by: Raptured.9307

Raptured.9307

Welp, strife just updated. Hooray for return of gs/axe/mace!

Rank 37 spvp, dungeon master
[HL] Deadly Protection @ Sanctum of Culling

in Warrior

Posted by: AndySpots.5203

AndySpots.5203

Would axe/mace longbow be at all acceptable? I’m extremely BORED after 80 levels of GS/Rifle, and wanted to shake it up a bit.

Would something like the following work for open PvE (map completion/farming) and the occasional dungeon? I’m thinking I’d shift it to axe/warhorn and retrait into full tactics and go into banner mode if I ever did Fractals.

http://gw2buildcraft.com/calculator/warrior/?8.0|7.1g.h1.9.1g.h4|3.1g.h4|1n.a1.1n.a1.1n.a1.1n.a1.1n.a1.1n.a1|1g.61.1g.61.1g.61.1g.61.1g.61.8g.61|u5a8.a5.0.a4.k56|56.8|0.0.0.0.0|e

And thank you to everyone who’s posted so far, this sort of discussion is amazingly helpful to casuals like myself. XD

in Warrior

Kellhus.8071

The only conflict I’d see with a/m // bow would be how reliant bow is on condition damage, whereas neither axe or mace use it.

in Warrior

Posted by: Oglaf.1074

Oglaf.1074

The only conflict I’d see with a/m // bow would be how reliant bow is on condition damage, whereas neither axe or mace use it.

It works perfectly fine with a Berserker build. It is not like it does 100% Condition Damage after all.

I can do thirty Five-Dolyak Arm Curls.

Do you even lift, bro?

in Warrior

Posted by: Phira.3970

Phira.3970

2000+ CoF p1 runs here.

I’ll vouch for axe as more damaging than GS. GS is just a burst (1.75 seconds in Time Warp). That’s not what CoF is about. CoF is about consistent damage overall long-term.

At the last boss in CoF, my friends (which i made them all run dual axe) kill when TW ends (I use generally when last boss is at 80% hp). This never happens with Great Sword warriors however.

Basically, if you want burst, do GS

If you want consistent best damage long term, do axe.

(edited by Phira.3970)

in Warrior

timecookie.8570

I get the logic — but if 100b is on cd, are you really saying that Volley does less damage than axe auto attack? In a group with all the good buffs going I can routinely break 12-14k from a single volley, which is only like 2.something seconds (I think), which is higher damage than I’d think axe would give me over that time.

You could rifle 3, rifle 4 (for vuln), and then within a second go back to GS.

I can see it losing benefit with a mesmer dropping time warp, where you’re stuck autoattacking after you burn through rifle3 and 4 — but outside of that I wouldnt think it that far off.

I’m saying that Volley is a couple of axe swings which are more reliable when it comes to multiple targets. Everything you would deny yourself in order to get that 8sec cd Volley is not worth the reward. And it’s assuming Volley is superior (which I don’t).

Basically, if you want burst, do GS

If you want consistent best damage long term, do axe.

This is what lot of ppl are trying to explain when comparing GS/Axe. And it’s true.