Why doesn't shield block reveal a thief?

in Warrior

Posted by: Ishbaal.1503

Ishbaal.1503

Just make so that if a thief misses his back stab because of: block, blind, agesis, invulnerability then back stab goes on cooldown of 8 seconds. Thief would not be revealed so they wouldn’t lose their mechanic of stealth but they would lose out on their big burst do to bad playing. They also would not be able to use Back stab the very next 3 second stealth window which would force them onto some actual counter play.

The 8 seconds is just a number and could be raised or lowered of course

in Warrior

Posted by: Bear on the job.6273

Bear on the job.6273

Taking this small part….. what about having a 1-initiative cost to do the stealthed skill, if failed then we wasted an initiative, if hit we get that 1-initiative back? I still say forcing a stealth drop on that would be a bit extreme, but this allows room for good gameplay along with punishing a thief for trying to backstab spam through a warrior’s block. Also this way we can still get past a gaurdian’s initial aegis or a blind.

That suggestion doesn’t address the issue being discussed here. The issue is that thieves can spam a 0-cost, high damage, no cool down skill until it is guaranteed to hit, all while remaining in stealth. Some part of that needs to change, and a 1-initiative cost is not enough.

So, we could either increase the cost of stealth skills (to 4-5 initiative, depending on the skill – non “refundable”), or we could add a cool down to stealth skills (5-10 seconds, gets reset when you reapply stealth), or you get revealed, as previously suggested.

in Warrior

Posted by: Dolan.3071

Dolan.3071

If you think Thief will ever be balanced against other classes you’re in for a rude surprise.

Uriel Asther ~ Warrior | Kaya Lereau ~ Elementalist | Natalie Fox ~ Thief
Skye Eterna ~ Mesmer | Arya Slade ~ Charrdian | Kiera Thine ~ Ranger
Oceanic ~ [LOD] [Noob]

in Warrior

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

Seeing how I might be one of the only thieves to view into the Warrior profession….
Let me try to put this in perspective for your class: would you want to lose all your adrenaline when your F1 ability is blocked? That, I think, would be a terrible mechanic. Same thing for thief, if something as simple as blocking gives us a revealed debuff would just about completely mitigate our stealth.

Shield stance lasts 3 seconds, throwing it up should out last the stealth anyways, so thus no backstab unless they chain stealths. Also if your threw it up too early and you see the ‘Block’ while the thief is invisible turn around: he is most likely right there, and start swinging. If he is spamming 1 you will take half damage, and already dished out some to him.

As a person who plays Warrior as well as a few other classes, I am totally fine with losing or “using up” my adrenaline when I miss an attack IF they make Thieves reveal when I they use an ATTACK SKILL (they can remain stealthed if they use a mobility skill or any other type) in stealth.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

in Warrior

Posted by: Cyhann.2609

Cyhann.2609

But, tell me one thing, how can you even block an attack you can’t see? o_O

in Warrior

Posted by: Fenrir.5493

Fenrir.5493

Its called instinct, its called experience, its called sixth sense, believe it or not, but a person who has a lot of experience in battle can predict something like this.

The same way you know when a thief stealths you sense their backstab coming then you block.

“We also realize that we can make mistakes but we dont care because I HAVE THE POWAAA!!”

in Warrior

Cyhann.2609

Uhm, thats not what I am talking about, but nevermind.^^

in Warrior

Posted by: Player Character.9467

Player Character.9467

Its called instinct, its called experience, its called sixth sense, believe it or not, but a person who has a lot of experience in battle can predict something like this.

The same way you know when a thief stealths you sense their backstab coming then you block.

It’s called there’s a shield in my face and you were dumb enough to swing at it. Or, ya know, aegis…

in Warrior

Posted by: redslion.9675

redslion.9675

It’s called: if you see the thief stealth, run the opposite direction, count to two-three nd raise the shield. You should be able to wait the thief out of stealth then, right?

You will never be able to know what an engineer is going to do next…

because he doesn’t know it himself

in Warrior

Cyhann.2609

It’s called there’s a shield in my face and you were dumb enough to swing at it. Or, ya know, aegis…

It’s called most of the time those attacks are made from behind the enemy, while
his shield is in front of him. This thread is about the shield, not aegis.

And btw, since it doesn’t reveal the thief, it’s not dumb to swing at the shield. =P

How about a compromise? Attacks from stealth are unblockable, which would
then result into a revealed thief. It’s just legit, and fair, especially when warriors
have a block which can reflect projectiles on such a short cooldown, it makes
even an guardian look like nothing. And then we can talk about real balance!
Let’s make the compromise even better for the poor warriors, it’s only unblockable
when the thief is attacking them from the side or from behind. It would promote
skillful play on both sides. Warriors have to use corners to fully defend themselves
and thieves need to run around them. Isn’t that the kind of positioning everybody wants?

in Warrior

Posted by: ArtemisEntreri.4138

ArtemisEntreri.4138

I like Cyhann’s idea.

Guardian / Warrior / Thief / Necromancer
Black Gate – Immortals of the Mist [IoM]

in Warrior

Dolan.3071

Sure lets give Thieves an unblockable backstab. Absolute genius.

Lets get something straight, Thieves need nerfs not buffs. If everyone at Anet tried a profession other than Thief then maybe they’d stop making the game revolve around them.

Oceanic ~ [LOD] [Noob]

in Warrior

Posted by: Player Character.9467

Player Character.9467

Unblockable? on guaranteed crits? thieves would then just stealth, backstab, shadowstep away, wait out reveal, stealth, backstab, repeat.

And btw, since it doesn’t reveal the thief, it’s not dumb to swing at the shield. =P

It is dumb by the mechanics governing any other class in the entire game. The ones that punish you for doing dumb things at dumb times, like during highly telegraphed animations. Burst dps skills shouldn’t sit on 0cd 0cost, spam until it goes off.

(edited by Player Character.9467)

in Warrior

Fenrir.5493

It’s called most of the time those attacks are made from behind the enemy, while

then result into a revealed thief. It’s just legit, and fair, especially when warriors
Let’s make the compromise even better for the poor warriors, it’s only unblockable
skillful play on both sides. Warriors have to use corners to fully defend themselves
and thieves need to run around them. Isn’t that the kind of positioning everybody wants?

If we are going to approach things with this kind of view, then thief should not be invisible in stealth and rely on the enviorement to not be seen, stealth is a broken mechanic in its core, but some games made it kind of fair, while in gw2 is cheap.

“We also realize that we can make mistakes but we dont care because I HAVE THE POWAAA!!”

in Warrior

Cyhann.2609

Funny how people nowadays take everything seriously, even if it’s not
written in a serious manner at all.^^ But whatever, now since this thread
is actually a “nerf the thief even more” thread, it actually should be made in
the thief forum, after all warrior isn’t the only class who has the ability to
block, but since there actually are people who would oppose the idea it seems
that they now have resorted to the warrior forums, since the majority of the
pvpers would only lurk here, it they actually use a warrior in pvp. There aren’t
much other reasons to do it after all. Nice move I guess!~

Lets get something straight, Thieves need nerfs not buffs.

Dolan pls: Thief Nerfs 2.0

Also if thieves are so strong, why are there so many teams without them?

And, now to the point, I actually wanted to talk all the the time about:

Even if my proposed “buff” would be implemented, it wouldn’t change too
much, same thing with the “nerf” this thread is about. If you have been loosing
too those thieves, you still will be losing, if you have been winning, it would be
a little easier, but in the end the outcome is the same, the only thing it would
change some of those real close battles, and only then if the thief uses attacks
from stealth and the warrior then decides to use his #5 skill with his shield.

To be honest, I didn’t even notice that blocks don’t reveal me, but that doesn’t
really matter since I only use stealth for condition removal, which means I wait
for the stealths duration to end, but meh, I wouldn’t care less if this litte “buff”
would given to the warriors, since they wouldn’t do any better in pvp.

tl;dr: This thread is actually pointless, since the problem with warriors and
thieves lies elsewhere, but thanks for the fun!~

in Warrior

Posted by: Sil.4560

Sil.4560

If we are going to approach things with this kind of view, then thief should not be invisible in stealth and rely on the enviorement to not be seen, stealth is a broken mechanic in its core, but some games made it kind of fair, while in gw2 is cheap.

+1

I’ve been saying this forever. Use the terrain.

in Warrior

Posted by: folly dragon.4126

folly dragon.4126

listen,

I have 80s of all characters, the three I focus the most is thief, warrior and guardian. The fix for it has nothing to do with stealth itself, if sneak attack misses or is blocked, it should simply be put on a timer (cooldown). If we were talking about taking away stealth duration and giving thieves a toggle, id say pop them from stealth. Also, I still think they have the thief various builds one sided, all melee backstabbish. They semi wrecked thieves shortbow, they refuse to focus on fixing pistol/pistol, pistol/dagger builds, condition builds lack the umph with all the condition cleansers.

So taking away the thieves survivability isn’t the whole answer, correcting the damage of these abilities that kill you is.

in Warrior

Posted by: folly dragon.4126

folly dragon.4126

its called permastealth, a stealth toggle, its called installing collision. The problem is, stealth itself doesnt produce numbers, the ability from stealth does, fix those abilities. there are many ways to fix thieves, I just dont believe anet is even worried about it.

in Warrior

Posted by: CreativeAnarchy.6324

CreativeAnarchy.6324

It doesn’t bother me, I still don’t have a problem with stealth.

I don’t really want them to look at stuff like this. Developers may get it in their head that I should loose adrenaline on a miss. People are asking for stealth to be revealed even on a miss and I don’t care to have stuff like this messed with because it could carry over onto my warrior.

I speak for my self and no one else. Only fools believe they speak for a majority.

in Warrior

Fenrir.5493

its called permastealth, a stealth toggle, its called installing collision. The problem is, stealth itself doesnt produce numbers, the ability from stealth does, fix those abilities. there are many ways to fix thieves, I just dont believe anet is even worried about it.

I know, they balance the game around thieves… the only time i saw a dev in pvp it was using a thief…

in Warrior

Fenrir.5493

listen,

I have 80s of all characters, the three I focus the most is thief, warrior and guardian. The fix for it has nothing to do with stealth itself, if sneak attack misses or is blocked, it should simply be put on a timer (cooldown). If we were talking about taking away stealth duration and giving thieves a toggle, id say pop them from stealth. Also, I still think they have the thief various builds one sided, all melee backstabbish. They semi wrecked thieves shortbow, they refuse to focus on fixing pistol/pistol, pistol/dagger builds, condition builds lack the umph with all the condition cleansers.

So taking away the thieves survivability isn’t the whole answer, correcting the damage of these abilities that kill you is.

Put abilities in a cd so the thief can not spam them from stealth is a good idea but i doubt it will be implemented.

Currently thieves can spam their most powerfull abilities with no risk, i remember when i played wow, when rogue had to get combo points to use their very hurting key abilities, that was a mechanic to prevent this spam madness that happens in here, but i guess the guys at arena net lack of that common sense, or simply just main thieves.

in Warrior

Posted by: Velron.3729

Velron.3729

It’s called: if you see the thief stealth, run the opposite direction, count to two-three nd raise the shield. You should be able to wait the thief out of stealth then, right?

You’re so clever! None of us ever thought about that!

Oh wait, no this is pretty much exactly what we do.

The problem is, just waiting out a stealth timer is MEANINGLESS.

I will explain. When the stealth timer just ends, there is no revealed debuff. So waiting out the stealth does nothing, all the thief has to do is immediately CnD or Smoke field+Leap again for instant restealth and now Backstab time with shield stance on CD.

Fragg – Engineer | Lil Zek – Warrior PVP R43
[DA] Decisive Actions – Jade Quarry

in Warrior

Posted by: TheLazyOne.8509

TheLazyOne.8509

What kind of game allows you to use abilities or get hit during stealth and not get revealed?

DotA

You’ve played a very different DotA than me then, because attacking did break stealth.
Besides, DotA had actual anti-stealth mechanics, unlike GW2. Dust and the true sight gem.

in Warrior

Posted by: Maugetarr.6823

Maugetarr.6823

I will explain. When the stealth timer just ends, there is no revealed debuff. So waiting out the stealth does nothing, all the thief has to do is immediately CnD or Smoke field+Leap again for instant restealth and now Backstab time with shield stance on CD.

Or you could shield bash to eviscerate and using the +50% crit chance on stunned foes and get a guaranteed crit taking at least a 3/4 chunk out of their health.

Blank Players [BDL]-Anvil Rock
Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele
Rebalance Ideas for Thief

in Warrior

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

What kind of game allows you to use abilities or get hit during stealth and not get revealed?

DotA

You’ve played a very different DotA than me then, because attacking did break stealth.
Besides, DotA had actual anti-stealth mechanics, unlike GW2. Dust and the true sight gem.

I already explained. There’s forms of Stealth in DotA that do not break on ability usage. There’s ALSO a couple stealths that don’t break on attacks. Also, every single stealths remains active while you apply aura damage like Radiance.

in Warrior

Dolan.3071

Or you could shield bash to eviscerate and using the +50% crit chance on stunned foes and get a guaranteed crit taking at least a 3/4 chunk out of their health.

How do you Shield Bash something that’s over 900 yards away?
Also no one runs crappy Berserker MH Axe builds anymore, not to any degree of success against competent players anyway.

Oceanic ~ [LOD] [Noob]

in Warrior

Cyhann.2609

Also no one runs crappy Berserker MH Axe builds anymore, not to any degree of success against competent players anyway.

Dolan pls, at least every third warrior I see uses a Berserker MH Axe build.

in Warrior

Dolan.3071

Dolan pls, at least every third warrior I see uses a Berserker MH Axe build.

Actually I’ll give you that, I think people are addicted to the sound it makes. If you’re a Berserker throwing Eviscerates at a remotely good thief, you’re gonna have a bad time xD

Oceanic ~ [LOD] [Noob]

in Warrior

Maugetarr.6823

You don’t have to run zerker, you can run 0/15/25/0/30 in knights armor/cavalier trinkets and still achieve 7.5k+ crits on eviscerate. Also the axe auto-attack chain cuts through the blind field pretty nicely. In addition, why would the thief be 900 away? Wasn’t he just jabbing away at your shield? Unless he burns a stunbreak (for no reason) he should end up right behind you.

Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele

in Warrior

Posted by: EvilSardine.9635

EvilSardine.9635

You can’t do this against a D/P thief who is constantly spamming blind/heart seeker/backstab the entire fight. I do this every now and then on my thief and it hurts how cheesy and effective it is. Easy mode.

in Warrior

Maugetarr.6823

You can’t do this against a D/P thief who is constantly spamming blind/heart seeker/backstab the entire fight. I do this every now and then on my thief and it hurts how cheesy and effective it is. Easy mode.

Except that the axe auto-attack chain is fast enough to effectively clear blinds faster than a thief can apply them assuming you’re not sitting in the center of the BPS field (even then its fast enough that every other attack will hit). If you count the field time, clear the blind and shield bakitten around 3 seconds, you’ll most likely interrupt the heartseeker leaving the thief out 9 initiative and setting up your attack.

Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele

in Warrior

Posted by: EvilSardine.9635

EvilSardine.9635

Except that the axe auto-attack chain is fast enough to effectively clear blinds faster than a thief can apply them assuming you’re not sitting in the center of the BPS field (even then its fast enough that every other attack will hit). If you count the field time, clear the blind and shield bakitten around 3 seconds, you’ll most likely interrupt the heartseeker leaving the thief out 9 initiative and setting up your attack.

Swinging your axe in the air won’t clear a blind anymore. If a thief is letting you relentlessly Axe 1 him then he’s doing it wrong.