Estimating PvP population

in PvP

Posted by: bhagwad.4281

bhagwad.4281

At what percentage point do you enter the leaderboards? If there are 1000 positions and we enter the leaderboards at 96%, then 1000 people make up 4% of the population. Hence total PvP population ~ 25,000.

So I guess the question is…how high a percentage rank have you ever seen in your geographic region? The higher percentage you see, the greater the PvP population. I’ve not seen more than 97% I think….

in PvP

Posted by: Marcos.3690

Marcos.3690

25.000 players have played since the last leaderboard reset. I highly doubt there are more than 1k playing now

in PvP

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Out of my humble friend’s list 3 people within top 1000. Five other people who have achieved a win/loss on team arena within the week.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

in PvP

Posted by: bhagwad.4281

bhagwad.4281

25.000 players have played since the last leaderboard reset. I highly doubt there are more than 1k playing now

Well, there are definitely more than 1k since not everyone we see in pvp today is on the leaderboards. Most people’ aren’t in fact…

in PvP

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

According to colin they are more people PvPing now that ever before. The leaderboards only show people that care to leave hotjoin, which a lot don’t.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

in PvP

Posted by: Whit.2385

Whit.2385

According to colin they are more people PvPing now that ever before. The leaderboards only show people that care to leave hotjoin, which a lot don’t.

I suppose hotjoin counts – but only if tallying the total population of anyone that ever sets foot in the spvp part of the mists. Which is to say, it includes a lot of pve-achieve hunters too. So, the total would be artificially inflated, as many of the pve-achieve hunters would not classify themselves as pvpers, and many/some do not even enjoy pvp at all, but feel compelled due to the achievement points (and complain about as much to boot).

Besides, I think the real question here is how many competitive pvpers are there? Let’s take a very loose definition of competitive here – I am not talking about competency, rather the desire to participate in actual tournaments (not soloq/teamq, but something more akin to the early version of the tourneys that had entrance reqs and real rewards). I would say that the competitive pvp population (using this definition) is very low. Which is dangerous, as without a top competitive level, there is little incentive beyond running it for sh*ts and giggles. Which means it is more of a mini-game really…

in PvP

Posted by: Pyriall.5027

Pyriall.5027

They include WvW in the “pvp” population. In prime time, just in hotjoin there may be 5-10 full servers. That’s it, 5-10 full servers during prime time with 10 minute queues.

in PvP

Posted by: Solstice.1097

Solstice.1097

A complete guess here, but i’m pretty good at guessing.. .I’d say about 10-20% of active soloq players are on the leaderboard, and about 20-25% of active teamq players are on the leaderboard.

I would also estimate that about half of those players are crossovers and play both queues.

If I’m close at all, that would ballpark the active PvP population around 5,500 NA players. No idea if EU is similar.

in PvP

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

I like pvp but I don’t think I’m skilled enough to join the serious matches :p Hotjoin for life.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

in PvP

silvermember.8941

They include WvW in the “pvp” population. In prime time, just in hotjoin there may be 5-10 full servers. That’s it, 5-10 full servers during prime time with 10 minute queues.

Except that he wouldn’t have said it in a PvP ladder thread, so unless you can read minds or have more information, why don’t you show where in this quote it says it includes WvW. Let me remind you, that they was nothing added in WvW in december that would have driven up the player numbers unlike sPvP.

Here is the quote and link. [url]https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/Collaborative-Development-Ladders-Seasons/page/3#post3699860 [url]

I will add a fun fact: When rewards were updated in December, PvP saw a 40% growth in player numbers that has stayed solid ever since, the largest single jump in player participation in any game content type as a result of an update we’ve ever seen. This growth was almost entirely players who didn’t play PvP before, who suddenly became interested once it was rewarding, and I’d argue it’s not even that rewarding yet. To discount rewards as meaningless might be true to you as a player, but we consistently hear very different feedback from other players, and they make this very clear in their actions. We need to make sure players who truly care about prestige and being the best are catered to, and we need a way for players who aren’t that yet can become excited and invested and someday potentially become part of the first.

This would be the part where you show your work. Admittedly, the ever before part might have been from somewhere else.

in PvP

Pyriall.5027

A complete guess here, but i’m pretty good at guessing.. .I’d say about 10-20% of active soloq players are on the leaderboard, and about 20-25% of active teamq players are on the leaderboard.

I would also estimate that about half of those players are crossovers and play both queues.

If I’m close at all, that would ballpark the active PvP population around 5,500 NA players. No idea if EU is similar.

That’s being very generous. In NA, you have guilds which comprise the majority of the active pvpers. There are a few guilds that people don’t represent, but are in. If you look at that full roster, those are the same people you play against in the ranked matches. Those guild rosters are 200-300 people.

in PvP

Posted by: clint.5681

clint.5681

I have it from a reliable source that there is 18 people playing spvp.

Rangir Dangir – Ranger | Mr. Ragr- Guardian| Sneak Stab – Thief | Mr. Ragir- Warrior
[url=https://] [/url]

in PvP

Solstice.1097

That’s being very generous. In NA, you have guilds which comprise the majority of the active pvpers. There are a few guilds that people don’t represent, but are in. If you look at that full roster, those are the same people you play against in the ranked matches. Those guild rosters are 200-300 people.

i dont know man just my guild alone has about 40 active players in PvP. my server has probably around 200. If it was 200 for each server that would be 4,800 NA, and I’m on FC a relatively low pop server so…..

in PvP

Pyriall.5027

i dont know man just my guild alone has about 40 active players in PvP. my server has probably around 200. If it was 200 for each server that would be 4,800 NA, and I’m on FC a relatively low pop server so…..

Take a snap shot of hotjoins in prime time. You will see very few full servers. Now take into account the large queue times in ranked solo and team queues.

in PvP

Posted by: Doppey Woogy.6590

Doppey Woogy.6590

There are more zombies in The Walking Dead than people playing pvp in this game

in PvP

Solstice.1097

Take a snap shot of hotjoins in prime time. You will see very few full servers. Now take into account the large queue times in ranked solo and team queues.

by active i’m thinking more people who play at least once per week, not daily. maybe that’s partly where we are disagreeing

in PvP

Posted by: Soul.9280

Soul.9280

Everything in my reply refers to soloq only, not teamq.

For NA, you get into the top 1000 Leaderboard at about 93%. I have active friends and guildmates in the 80% to 90% range, as well as top 1000. I have a friend who went inactive 2 weeks ago who dropped from top 100 to 77% (and falling). I’m watching to see how low he drops, that should give an idea of the # of active vs. inactive players on the leaderboard.

At a minimum I’m tempted to infer that we have at least 2500 active soloq players.

in PvP

Pyriall.5027

Except that he wouldn’t have said it in a PvP ladder thread, so unless you can read minds or have more information, why don’t you show where in this quote it says it includes WvW. Let me remind you, that they was nothing added in WvW in december that would have driven up the player numbers unlike sPvP.

Here is the quote and link. [url]https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/Collaborative-Development-Ladders-Seasons/page/3#post3699860 [url]

I will add a fun fact: When rewards were updated in December, PvP saw a 40% growth in player numbers that has stayed solid ever since, the largest single jump in player participation in any game content type as a result of an update we’ve ever seen. This growth was almost entirely players who didn’t play PvP before, who suddenly became interested once it was rewarding, and I’d argue it’s not even that rewarding yet. To discount rewards as meaningless might be true to you as a player, but we consistently hear very different feedback from other players, and they make this very clear in their actions. We need to make sure players who truly care about prestige and being the best are catered to, and we need a way for players who aren’t that yet can become excited and invested and someday potentially become part of the first.

This would be the part where you show your work. Admittedly, the ever before part might have been from somewhere else.

Better than sifting through posts, I’ll ask the question here again to Allie. Do you guys include wvw in your pvp population?

in PvP

silvermember.8941

Better than sifting through posts, I’ll ask the question here again to Allie. Do you guys include wvw in your pvp population?

So you are saying you make up the claim? In any case, Anet has also said something similar about increase numbers in WvW, but that was months before he made this comment.

in PvP

Solstice.1097

given that very few people are rated lower than 70% or so, I’m thinking that the rating % is based on total GW2 population and not just PvP players.

That would mean that the leaderboard is roughly equivalent to the top 7% of PvP players across all of the GW2 population. Let’s say 15% of GW2 population plays PvP at least once a week, even if just for daily, that would mean that the top 46% of active players get themselves onto the leaderboard which would mean there are about 2,173 active soloq players in North America.

There are probably another 500 teamq that don’t normally do solo, and another 750 that just do hot join mostly, bring the total PvP population in its entirety to around 3,423 players.

I originally estimated 5,500 but that doesn’t make sense to me now because I’m rank 33 in soloq and I don’t feel like I should be ranked that high, but that’s also partly due to the flaws in the matchmaking and ranking system.

in PvP

Posted by: kenny.3627

kenny.3627

ITS OVER 9000!

Lvl I-R80
eSports-2015
Main-Bunker Guard

in PvP

Pyriall.5027

So you are saying you make up the claim? In any case, Anet has also said something similar about increase numbers in WvW, but that was months before he made this comment.

It was stated, but I’m not going to sift through all the posts or videos to find it.

(edited by Pyriall.5027)

in PvP

Posted by: Dosvidaniya.3260

Dosvidaniya.3260

given that very few people are rated lower than 70% or so, I’m thinking that the rating % is based on total GW2 population and not just PvP players.

That would mean that the leaderboard is roughly equivalent to the top 7% of PvP players across all of the GW2 population. Let’s say 15% of GW2 population plays PvP at least once a week, even if just for daily, that would mean that the top 46% of active players get themselves onto the leaderboard which would mean there are about 2,173 active soloq players in North America.

There are probably another 500 teamq that don’t normally do solo, and another 750 that just do hot join mostly, bring the total PvP population in its entirety to around 3,423 players.

I originally estimated 5,500 but that doesn’t make sense to me now because I’m rank 33 in soloq and I don’t feel like I should be ranked that high, but that’s also partly due to the flaws in the matchmaking and ranking system.

I’m fairly certain it is higher than that.

Here’s some information for solo queue from my guild. There is a player that played yesterday and has a 27.8% win rate. He is at 52% on the leaderboards. There is another player that stopped solo queue the 16th of Feb. He is at 65%. Everyone above 65% in my guild has played in the last 12 days.

I think it safe to assume that the players over 76% are active (while there are exceptions, those are likely cancelled by exceptions under 76%). Assuming the top 7% make the leaderboard, that places us at 3429 active players in solo queue. That may be a bit high, but I think it’ll ballpark around 3000 (which would be ~79%).

(edited by Dosvidaniya.3260)

in PvP

Posted by: sirflamesword.3896

sirflamesword.3896

And Yaks Bend has like 20 people playing PvP, that is an average number of people I see in HoTM if I’m in there for an hour+.

Pinnacle of Responsibility[Mom]-Yaks Bend
Unstable Shield, Unstable Light

in PvP

Posted by: gesho.9468

gesho.9468

the mist servers ( like the list of hotjoins running), are they per server, or per region?

in PvP

clint.5681

the mist servers ( like the list of hotjoins running), are they per server, or per region?

Server

Rangir Dangir – Ranger | Mr. Ragr- Guardian| Sneak Stab – Thief | Mr. Ragir- Warrior

in PvP

Posted by: Darek.1836

Darek.1836

List of hot join is region.. the HotM itself is server.
also saying 20 people play bc that’s how much you see in a couple hours is ridic. Id probably see around 60 players over an hour but I know there are at least 150 who didn’t come to HotM or werent on at the time

Holy
Sharks With Lazers [PEW]

in PvP

Posted by: Urejt.5648

Urejt.5648

250 players in best weekend hour. EU

Yo Hooj Jest Pole

in PvP

gesho.9468

Server

then in Yak’s Band alone there are about 300 hotjoin players at prime. +solo + team

x number of servers x2 regions

~ 20k I’d estimate.

in PvP

clint.5681

Server

then in Yak’s Band alone there are about 300 hotjoin players at prime. +solo + team

~ 20k I’d estimate.

I read your question wrong, i thought you asked if each servers mists was server or region wide

in PvP

gesho.9468

Server

~ 20k I’d estimate.

I read your question wrong, i thought you asked if each servers mists was server or region wide

so how about hotjoin lists, are the per server or region?

in PvP

Posted by: sirflamesword.3896

sirflamesword.3896

region

Edit: Going through the hotjoin servers at this time(nearly primetime) AT MOST 580 people.

Pinnacle of Responsibility[Mom]-Yaks Bend
Unstable Shield, Unstable Light

(edited by sirflamesword.3896)

in PvP

gesho.9468

region

that’s what i heard earlier too.

yeah, not good…