Guild Wars 1 had more PvP variety

in PvP

Posted by: Rich.5371

Rich.5371

Guild Wars 1 out of the box starting from Prophecies had Random Arenas, Team Arenas, Guild vs Guild and Hall of Heroes. Later with Factions we got Alliance Battles and a couple of ‘battlegrounds’ like Fort Aspenwood and Jade Quarry.

So here we are a year and a half after launch with only 2 modes of PvP. sPvP and WvW

Can we PLEASE get more variety with PvP modes? Since there is hardly any end game content on the PvE side, the PvP ought to be more enticing.

in PvP

Posted by: Katran.9186

Katran.9186

It seems you were sleeping for some time.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1r8prs/new_game_mode_prototypes_from_livestream/

And we’ll get sort of mode (little map for TDM only for CA) with the next update, if I’m not mistaken.
Yet, I agree with the topic. PVP variety should be top priority.

in PvP

Posted by: ghaleon.2861

ghaleon.2861

GW1 PvP was superior in everyway than GW2, and GW2 players that never played on the high GW1 lvl don’t even have a clue how awesome GW1 Pvp was. But Anet decided they want to beat Wow and attract the Pver that plague this world. And brought Allince Battles into GW2, worse game mode ever and the most boring kitten ever. In gw1 GvG you could always make big plays spliting, out smarting your opponent and it was like a chest game. But now we’re stuck with this kitten game mode. And it doesn’t surprise me at all that Gw2 PvP is dead already. I mean it took GW1 PvPv8 years to die out and because Anet went on to create AB wars 2. And Gw2 PvP died in 1 year

Onesixty IQ Genius[Mesmer]
Zulu OxTactics[Zulu]

(edited by ghaleon.2861)

in PvP

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

Too many modes is not good. They dropped team arena’s, hero battles, etc.

They should stick to gvg/HA but translated into Gw2.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

in PvP

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

The main focus of gw1 was pvp it’s the complete opposite in gw2

in PvP

Posted by: Abe Kleine.3568

Abe Kleine.3568

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1r8prs/new_game_mode_prototypes_from_livestream/

And we’ll get sort of mode (little map for TDM only for CA) with the next update, if I’m not mistaken.

Ohhhhhh TEAM DEATH MATCH! waves fingers in your face so amazing!
Should have been in from the beginning…. No excuses

in PvP

Posted by: Abe Kleine.3568

Abe Kleine.3568

Right? Every 5 seconds they are talking about either “This will totally make PvE more fun”

“Our PvE experience will improve with this next patch”

“YOU GUYS WANNA BUY SOME PVE? COME INTO MY VAN!”

in PvP

Posted by: XGhoul.7426

XGhoul.7426

Too many modes is not good. They dropped team arena’s, hero battles, etc.

They should stick to gvg/HA but translated into Gw2.

I can agree with too many games modes since some were removed, but to bring the most unanimously hated game mode (AB/cap points in GW1) and make it into the MAIN competitive game mode for GW2, it becomes a shallow/less competitive environment for this game.

in PvP

Posted by: bhagwad.4281

bhagwad.4281

Anyone remember turtles and the jade quarry battles in GW1? Ah, that was so much fun! Really innovative stuff. How come they had so many ideas for GW1 and none of GW2? Did they lose a key member of their staff? What happened?

Also, the rewards for GW1 PvP were awesome. Zaishen keys could net you real gold to be used in PvE if you wanted or you could use your balthazar faction to buy PvP items as well.

kitten , that was a well rounded, fully integrated game mode. What…the…hell happened now?

Feeling nostalgic all of a sudden.

in PvP

Posted by: XGhoul.7426

XGhoul.7426

Anyone remember turtles and the jade quarry battles in GW1? Ah, that was so much fun! Really innovative stuff. How come they had so many ideas for GW1 and none of GW2? Did they lose a key member of their staff? What happened?

Also, the rewards for GW1 PvP were awesome. Zaishen keys could net you real gold to be used in PvE if you wanted or you could use your balthazar faction to buy PvP items as well.

kitten , that was a well rounded, fully integrated game mode. What…the…hell happened now?

Feeling nostalgic all of a sudden.

no dedicated healers and cast bars (primarily to introduce interrupts for key skills) killed this game very fast.

in PvP

Posted by: sorrow.2364

sorrow.2364

no dedicated healers and cast bars (primarily to introduce interrupts for key skills) killed this game very fast.

The problem isn’t the lack of dedicated healers and cast bars. Those concepts are good and can lead to an interesting combat system.

The problem is that those features have been implemented badly.

It is fine that you want the game to be animation based, but then you should also make sure that all animations are readable, regardless of the setting and the characters. It doesn’t really make sense that a game is animation based for the interrupts and then Asuras are allowed to have animations 3x times harder to read and AI which has models 3x bigger compared to the average Asura.

Regarding the lack of dedicated healers, that’s a delicate matter. GW2 replaces healers with support profession, which is way better compared to have a profession forced to adopt a single playstyle. The main problem is that support is unviable and that pretty much any content is designed to discourage to play a support role.

So, in my opinion, the concepts were goods but the execution is extremely poor.

in PvP

butch.8136

Animation + active gameplay. That’s what’s needed. That’s what would skyrocket the skill cap.

But that’ll never happen ‘cus it’s not newb-friendly….. -.-

in PvP

Posted by: The Primary.6371

The Primary.6371

GW1 PvP was superior in everyway than GW2, and GW2 players that never played on the high GW1 lvl don’t even have a clue how awesome GW1 Pvp was. But Anet decided they want to beat Wow and attract the Pver that plague this world. And brought Allince Battles into GW2, worse game mode ever and the most boring kitten ever. In gw1 GvG you could always make big plays spliting, out smarting your opponent and it was like a chest game. But now we’re stuck with this kitten game mode. And it doesn’t surprise me at all that Gw2 PvP is dead already. I mean it took GW1 PvPv8 years to die out and because Anet went on to create AB wars 2. And Gw2 PvP died in 1 year

Anet for some reason doesn’t want gvg to have another chance at being an esport. They don’t even want to try and improve on the concept or surpass it. All they so far have done is down play it or thrown disgust at it. Makes you wonder why present anet employees hate gvg that much.

in PvP

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

Gw2 needs hall of heroes.

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

in PvP

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

You can’t even call WvW PvP… it’s PvD.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

in PvP

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

in Gw1 pvp every build had a counter so there was never an invincible meta,
if hammer warriors were annoying you you could play a blinding ele,
if blinding eles were annoying you you could play an anti spell devish,
if anti spell dervish were annoying you you could play a hammer warrior.

the game had infinitely more options than GW2 and yet was infinitely more balanced.
you could experiment with wack class combos and still be viable in pvp.

the game had rewarding pvp titles and rank emotes

and yes, multiple game modes.

GW2 has a great combat system, it just seems like such potential for the best pvp game is wasted, one game mode, aweful balance, meta builds that remain unbalanced after 6 months.
is this the same Anet that made quite possibly the best pvp MMO in history?

in PvP

Posted by: Selenya.6410

Selenya.6410

I’ve played Gw1 4y long – from headstart -. I don’t love much fact ppl talk about idilliac pvp on HA because a lot of you forget details like for example, any spike kind of team rolling? Ranger, necro, even ele (trolley), ritualist, paragon and so on. Every class had a dedicated spike team build. But doesn’t change the fact that lame unbalanced team builds there were as well in GW1, and which made Anet lose quite a lot of EU population first 3 years, was fact each time they took months to rip off accordingly any of these builds, because each time they nerfed the single skill people always found a “walkaround” to toast it again – all this meanwhile every night ppl used to farm IWAY for rank points, denying it the day later :p -. Basically those who were penalized were only those that wanted to play Balanced Team.
The problem of Anet always been that, they are not good into balance, really. 10 years in between and this never changed.
GvG was only place where ppl could play Balanced sort of form, but ‘’periodically god’’ classes and builds always intoxicated the meta.

The only thing that they made (luckily) possible was to COUNTER not always but very often your opponent on whatever class they were playing.

I totally agree on fact we need, when targetting an enemy, to see what skill he’s executing. Animations on GW2 are not clear at all expecially if facing an asura.

On a side note: I totally dissagree on fact GW1 was a fulltime pvp game. It had completely awesome pve end games for each expansion. I’ve spent even 5 hours consecutively in DoA first times i stepped in there, Urgoz Warren and The Deep were awesome 12 men instances (which you could pug just fine). Even the Sorrow Fournace was not a granted walkthrough. Each expansion – till i played- had stunning pve enviroments. Who also never stepped into Underworld or Fissure of Woe? Even EoTN had like 10 dungeons with normal and hard mode. And a quad areas dungeon – Slaver’s Exile – with endboss. I love d that kind of prophile introduced with DoA, progressive areas and rewards increased. closed

Don’t think it will never exist another game like GW1. I have many fond memories of it, but it wasnt’ perfect.

I’ll leave you with this example. It would be exactly the same here but worse since it wouldn’t be fixed the day later…
Dark Aura Spike

Nexon = Advanced Cancer

(edited by Selenya.6410)

in PvP

The Primary.6371

Ironic how we gw1 players got shafted with hall of monument rewards within gw2. All cosmetic and with minimal effort put into each pet, weapon and armor design.

But the main sucker punch was the one pvp mode since launch and pathetic pve content. Funny how it takes 2+ months for any serious update to the game. Other companies usually take less time to implement a patch than anet does with gw2.

in PvP

butch.8136

But the main sucker punch was the one pvp mode since launch and pathetic pve content. Funny how it takes 2+ months for any serious update to the game. Other companies usually take less time to implement a patch than anet does with gw2.

The main sucker punch was the hype behind it, imo. If they didn’t hype it that much, then there would’ve been less rage. But then again, gw1 was very popular pvp-wise so most people expected no less of gw2.

in PvP

The Primary.6371

The main sucker punch was the hype behind it, imo. If they didn’t hype it that much, then there would’ve been less rage. But then again, gw1 was very popular pvp-wise so most people expected no less of gw2.

Exactly, it did not live up to expectations with one crappy pvp mode based off a pvx mode from gw1.

in PvP

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

Anybody with a brain can see guild wars 1 had more PvP stuff, considering that it was in fact a PvP based game initially until they decided to slap from PvE which was meant as a tutorial for PvP. Ironically, the PvE became the show.

The question is, why does it matter at this stage? Are you saying this because of what?(I question the purpose of this topic, is it to state the obvious or what?)

Exactly, it did not live up to expectations with one crappy pvp mode based off a pvx mode from gw1.

From a business stand point, it made literally zero sense for Anet to focus on PvP considering that even in guild wars 1, the PvE was the thing that was generating money. Guild wars 1 might have started out as a PvP game, but it certainly ended up as a PvE game.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

in PvP

Posted by: Dany Little Star.2837

Dany Little Star.2837

Guild wars 1 might have started out as a PvP game, but it certainly ended up as a PvE game.

LOOOOOOL. Are you serious? Please…

GW1 PvP = one of the best PvP ever seen.
GW1 PvE = :-|

in PvP

Posted by: Jamais vu.5284

Jamais vu.5284

Adding to the animations-readability (idea) versus fireworks (reality), no competitive framework, and plain lack of a good game mode:
They decided they don’t want a trinity. But then they design classes as if they were still there. Huh? Why should an ele or thief have much lower health pool and armor class in this new paradigm? Why can’t all classes be equalized in stats and differentiate themselves by their actual mechanics?
A large part of the design issues this game has stems from that alone. Eles are unusable, thiefs survive on their instagib gimmick, rangers are statswise all around worse than everyone else if you take their AI away (lol relying on AI), while warriors and guardians are always preferable, especially in WvW (and PvE).
If you remove the trinity but don’t change anything else, all you’re doing is making the heavy classes overpowered compared to the rest, which then have to rely on crappy gimmicks that make the game experience horrible to remain competitive (insane DoTs, insane spike damage, decap shenanigans, etc.)
If they hypothetically had retained the mana system (not saying they should have or shouldn’t) you could’ve atleast equalized this by making the lighter classes superior at resource management … but there is only one resource, health, and again it’s doubly buffed for heavies.

(edited by Jamais vu.5284)

in PvP

silvermember.8941

Guild wars 1 might have started out as a PvP game, but it certainly ended up as a PvE game.

I think you miss understand what I meant by that.

What I meant was that although guild wars 1 started as a PvP focused game (as in the whole existence of PvE was to be a guide for PvP), later towards the end it became more PvE driven in content or the developers were focusing more on the PvE side, since it was the thing driving sales and making money as compared to the PvP side.

Also I love your are you trying to be clever, but what you clearly failed to realize was that what I said had nothing to do with how good or bad guild wars 1 PvP was. But i suspect you did not read what I said but was simply looking for a reason to attempt to be clever. How did that work out for you?

(edited by silvermember.8941)

in PvP

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

Oi, AB is actually loads of fun in comparison to anything GW2 pvp. Especially back in the heydays of ZB prots and no dervs/paragon shouts, when you could wipe 2 teams at a time, if you did it right (ok you can still do that sometimes).
All hail charge warrior teams~

The root of the problem.

On the side note, I also find old-school pve amazing, and thoroughly enjoyed farming as a 55mo, doing 4-man group sorrow’s furnace runs, farming smites and aatxes with the old SS nec, or just clearing urgoz/the deep in a normal 12-man group. There is no game that can replicate that kind of play, or the kind of experience GW delivered in general.
And that’s just really disappointing.

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363

(edited by KarlaGrey.5903)

in PvP

Posted by: Dany Little Star.2837

Dany Little Star.2837

I think you miss understand what I meant by that.

What I meant was that although guild wars 1 started as a PvP focused game (as in the whole existence of PvE was to be a guide for PvP), later towards the end it became more PvE driven in content or the developers were focusing more on the PvE side, since it was the thing driving sales and making money as compared to the PvP side.

Also I love your are you trying to be clever, but what you clearly failed to realize was that what I said had nothing to do with how good or bad guild wars 1 PvP was. But i suspect you did not read what I said but was simply looking for a reason to attempt to be clever. How did that work out for you?

I have read all(yeah…I know how to read)…and again…I have an idea different from you.

WHY?

Simple: just check GW1 today and also remember GW1 in the ‘boom’ years.
The only thing that a lot of people done regoulary in PvE was farming.
The PvP side was, and is today, full everyday with top Guild in GvG or HA.
The PvP update contents were more frequent that PvE update contents.

This is what I think.

PS: sorry for my bad eng

in PvP

The Primary.6371

Anybody with a brain can see guild wars 1 had more PvP stuff, considering that it was in fact a PvP based game initially until they decided to slap from PvE which was meant as a tutorial for PvP. Ironically, the PvE became the show.

The question is, why does it matter at this stage? Are you saying this because of what?(I question the purpose of this topic, is it to state the obvious or what?)

From a business stand point, it made literally zero sense for Anet to focus on PvP considering that even in guild wars 1, the PvE was the thing that was generating money. Guild wars 1 might have started out as a PvP game, but it certainly ended up as a PvE game.

Argue your “business standpoint” to anet who wanted to utilize gw2 pvp as an esport. Be sure to be very detailed on how they should, would or could make the game more profitable for nsoft.

in PvP

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

Pretty sure Anet didn’t make a name for themselves in the mmo genre with pve (alone).

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363

in PvP

Posted by: sminkiottone.6972

sminkiottone.6972

Also GvG !

in PvP

Posted by: kylwilson.9137

kylwilson.9137

I remember the time I thought doing away with dedicated healers was a fantastic idea.

How effing stupid I was.

\o/

in PvP

silvermember.8941

Argue your “business standpoint” to anet who wanted to utilize gw2 pvp as an esport. Be sure to be very detailed on how they should, would or could make the game more profitable for nsoft.

Obviously, you are assuming I care whether or not guild wars 2 becomes an esportz right? If guild wars 2 becomes an esport good for them but I suspect if that was the case it would be driven entirely by the Asian Markets not na/eu, but like I said I don’t care.

I don’t care about esportz but that doesn’t mean I wont attempt to point out major flaws on one’s argument.

(edited by silvermember.8941)

in PvP

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

The OP isn’t saying that ANet hasn’t made considerations about new game modes, he/she is saying that they haven’t actually released enough game modes.

And adding a single death match map that is only available for custom arenas hardly counts for much of anything, especially compared to GW1.

in PvP

The Primary.6371

Also GvG !

Hall of heroes….pfff, everyone knows gvg took more skill to play. No gimmicky team builds in gvg too if you think about it.

I remember the time I thought doing away with dedicated healers was a fantastic idea.

How effing stupid I was.

Gw2 gvg can still work without dedicated healers, all you need is strong team support mixed into two or three players setup. Will also require everyone watching each other and the enemy aswell, which should always happen.

(edited by The Primary.6371)

in PvP

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

Gw2 gvg can still work without dedicated healers, all you need is strong team support mixed into two or three players setup. Will also require everyone watching each other and the enemy aswell, which should always happen.

I kinda think at the moment that the best thing that can happen to GW2 is getting more game modes in, and a lot of them.

Conquest, conquest, conquest, conquest with bosses, conquest with a flag, conquest on toast with a glass of conquest, augh.

Need something different than the 5v5 conquest model because at the moment it seems incredibly hard to actually fit a dedicated support into your team.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in PvP

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

I kinda think at the moment that the best thing that can happen to GW2 is getting more game modes in, and a lot of them.

Conquest, conquest, conquest, conquest with bosses, conquest with a flag, conquest on toast with a glass of conquest, augh.

Need something different than the 5v5 conquest model because at the moment it seems incredibly hard to actually fit a dedicated support into your team.

Yea, I think the timing is a good point. ANet did right by focusing on Conquest/WvW only at the start and making sure that they polished those as well as possible with their resources. However, I think we’ve gotten to a point where that doesn’t give the same returns as it did before and expanding game types, even if it comes at the expense of conquest is a healthy move for PvP overall.