Normalized Character Models in sPvP

in PvP

Posted by: Tumri.7892

Tumri.7892

I’ll keep this short because there is no reason to write an essay on the topic.

The race choices should not have an effect on sPvP.

Having every single player play a little Asura for the very real advantage of having far less visible animations in an animation based combat system is not ideal. The game would be far more enjoyable if both players and spectators were actually able to discern which animations were happening on screen.

Currently when multiple characters are fighting on screen there is a good chance that all or most of the characters on the screen are tiny Asuras that appear to be jumping around doing random indistinguishable things that end up having various effects on the battle. The exception is the Mesmer class where most players opt to have a giant Norn character so that they are able to spam enormous clones and phantasms to cause the opponent to have to deal with an outrageous amount of screen clutter.

One of the biggest issues with Guild Wars 2 sPvP has been the fact that combat tends to devolve into a cluster_____ of animations and visual overload and the race choice issue compounds this to the point where some classes are exponentially more powerful when played as a certain race because key animations become nearly impossible to spot(prime example: Warrior) or because they cause so much visual overload on the battlefield that they become a huge detriment to the concept of skilled play(prime example: Mesmer)

Please add an option for players to have all other character models in sPvP be switched to Human(or their choice of race if that isn’t too difficult to implement). I can’t imagine that this would be difficult since this is conceptually very similar to the enemy/friendly color options you introduced many months ago. This small and highly effective change would also help YOU balance the game better by properly taking into account the ability for players to spot certain animations and react accordingly. Currently some abilities that would be perfectly balanced end up being either extremely weak or extremely powerful based on race choice and this is detrimental to the competitive nature of sPvP.

Aerion | www.twitch.tv/tumri | Steam: Tumri756
Idiot Savants[iQ] | Anvil Rock

in PvP

Posted by: Lopez.7369

Lopez.7369

I think the best fix would be visible enemy cast bars, preferably under nameplates.

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

I think the best fix would be visible enemy cast bars, preferably under nameplates.

this was present in gw1.
why was it removed in gw2?

ooooOooOoooOoo i remember reading anet stating that they want players to look at the actual playing field more …

in PvP

Posted by: Zodian.6597

Zodian.6597

+1 x 9000

Neglekt

in PvP

Posted by: TheMightyAltroll.3485

TheMightyAltroll.3485

I main Necromancer, my cast bar would be so large you wouldn’t be able to see anything else.

UNFAIR ADVANTAGE

Contact me ingame for Necro, Ranger, Mesmer, and Thief advice.

in PvP

Posted by: faeral.7120

faeral.7120

i think tourney organizers can just ban asura models, that would solve the problem.

-1 × 9000 for cast bars.

in PvP

Posted by: Jonwar.9205

Jonwar.9205

suggested something like this in a thread once… always meant to make a suggestion about it, but yeah, agree. Should be an option to make all character models human.

+1

Hurr Durr Blades – PvP Warrior
Jangeol – WvW Warrior

in PvP

Posted by: Stealth.9324

Stealth.9324

suggested something like this in a thread once… always meant to make a suggestion about it, but yeah, agree. Should be an option to make all character models human.

+1

Heh, please no please, I already see enough human in real life. Do not want to see more in my second life… Don’t mind if there is an option that allow You and only You see other players as a Race you choose. But honestly, what Asura did to you guys…I mean they are cute and intelligent but by no mean, they are mean….(crying from inside)…

Kaane Moka – Champion Magus. Loola Illuma – Champion Genius.
Proud player of : team [uA] – team [TGI]. Australia base, now recruiting.

in PvP

Posted by: Lupanic.6502

Lupanic.6502

Asura are like rats.

in PvP

Posted by: hamsteak.1368

hamsteak.1368

fighting against asura isn’t all that bad, it’s just silly when you go into a match and everyone is a small floppy eared person

Auger Claw (PvE/Spvp) – Thief
Notalkingplz (PvE/Spvp) – Guardian
Rough Trade (PvE)/Urok Ashpaw (Spvp) – Engineer

in PvP

Posted by: KrisHQ.4719

KrisHQ.4719

Imo it’s only the asura that is causing a problem.
The other races are large enough to see when they’re swapping weapon-sets and using certain skills.
The simple solution would be to ban Asuras from tournaments (Not the IG ones, but competitive).

Lysis Kawahara – D/D Elementalist
Zaphiel Faires – DPS Guardian

in PvP

Posted by: nicknamenick.2437

nicknamenick.2437

this should be possible, its even somewhat possible in WvW.

If you adjust the video settings you have the option to set the quality of other players to very low, when you do this than most people look the same (aldo its still the race)
When they adjust this for PVP it shouldnt be that hard to make all others 1 race.
Would be nice!

I often dont see a small asura using flurry or 100b when i am on a Charr. the asura wil disappear completely.

in PvP

Stealth.9324

Imo it’s only the asura that is causing a problem.
The other races are large enough to see when they’re swapping weapon-sets and using certain skills.
The simple solution would be to ban Asuras from tournaments (Not the IG ones, but competitive).

=_=!!!…Racist…

in PvP

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

In SAB, all the players were rescaled to the size of an average asura. There’s no reason they cannot rescale all players to an average human size in the mists either.

in PvP

Posted by: milo.6942

milo.6942

In SAB, all the players were rescaled to the size of an average asura. There’s no reason they cannot rescale all players to an average human size in the mists either.

this is exactly what needs to happen
some guys with spare time in anet made a better game than pvp devs in 9 months

in PvP

Posted by: psychofski.3289

psychofski.3289

totally agree with this.They must rescale asura in pvp to some visible size.Except for balance isues it is ruining the spectate point of view.

in PvP

Posted by: Julius.1094

Julius.1094

No cast bars, and no making everyone human. Race sizes just need to be readjusted to bring them much closer together. Not only would that be more fun, but also add a tad more realism to the feel fo the game, as a tiny asura with a 1 foot long hammer knocking down a gigantic norn looks kittening stupid. I know it’s a game and nothing about it is realistic, but having at least a little realism in there adds to the atmosphere.

Vidallis – 50 Shades of Pink – Engi/Warrior

in PvP

Posted by: Fjandi.2516

Fjandi.2516

My ranger (my main and pretty much the only char i play in spvp) is human. My guardian is human. My thief is asura. Tbh there’s no big difference (i find asura animations much cooler tho, and ye they are a bit harder to detect). Anyway i totally agree that charrs and norns are way bigger and that’s definitely a disadvantage. Also their animations are always evident and therefore i find them way easier to counter.

in PvP

Posted by: Grackleflint.4956

Grackleflint.4956

I’m only rank 31 and in most of my tPvP matches, players seem to have no problem interrupting me when I’m using an important defensive ability. That being said, I don’t see the harm in trying to implement something like this.

in PvP

Posted by: redslion.9675

redslion.9675

I’d just like not to have my camera screwed up each time a walk near a wall as a norn or a charr.

It happens to me often while going to clock tower from the main entrance.

“You are in a fight? Too bad you can’t see everything now”

But maybe I am the only one with these issues.

You will never be able to know what an engineer is going to do next…

because he doesn’t know it himself

in PvP

Posted by: Blackhat.4016

Blackhat.4016

A cast bar was suggested months ago and honestly, if they want a competitive game there is no way around it. Having to interpret spell animations in a game with such a huge amount of flashy effects is just terrible…

in PvP

Posted by: silentnight warrior.2714

silentnight warrior.2714

I wouldn´t like the game to have action bars as GW1, but i understand who wants them. The game should have the option in the client to put all races with the same size (view option). This way if you want to play with a Asura character it wont be a problem for you and for others, you will see your model small size and the others will see it human size.
If they put action bars in the game please give the option to turn them off. I dont want more litle things to pay atention in the game.

in PvP

Posted by: milo.6942

milo.6942

If they put action bars in the game please give the option to turn them off. I dont want more litle things to pay atention in the game.

lmao

in PvP

Tumri.7892

I see a lot of “NO MAKE A CAST BAR I WANT TO PLAY ASURA” comments. I am not saying that every single character should be forced into a human character model. I am saying that there should be an option to view all other character models as human(or their choice of race) so that the animations are visible and consistent. The devs have already stated all through beta and for months after launch that they want the combat to be animation based so it is highly doubtful that they will add cast bars at this point. This suggestion only enhances their vision for an animation based combat system as people will be able to actually see what is going on as opposed to guessing what a tiny Asura is doing or spending all their time panning their camera trying to look past gigantic Norn mesmer clones.

in PvP

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

ASURA animations are much more exaggerated than every other character… Take mesmer summons if a human/sylvari summons a phantasm they lift their hand to chest level only (kinda like an Oh yeah animation) asura raise their hands farrrrr above their head and make an exaggerated motion for the same summon heal skills are the same… When asura us skills like blurred frenzy/100B/Pistol whip… they are actually raised a couple feet in the air to make the animation more obvious…

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in PvP

Posted by: Super Riceman.8702

Super Riceman.8702

There should be an option to display everyone as humans for your screen.
People can still feel special when they choose the race they want but everyone else can be on even playing field with animations since no one is too small or too big.

There is only one god and its name is nerf. There is only one thing we say to nerf, not today

in PvP

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

They should implement collision and body blocking so the fat bald Norns get the advantage. GG asura

in PvP

Posted by: Lumpy.8760

Lumpy.8760

i have an advantage playing charr because i enjoy it

in PvP

Posted by: hamsteak.1368

hamsteak.1368

i have an advantage playing charr because i enjoy it

yes

Auger Claw (PvE/Spvp) – Thief
Notalkingplz (PvE/Spvp) – Guardian
Rough Trade (PvE)/Urok Ashpaw (Spvp) – Engineer

in PvP

Stealth.9324

+1

Heh, please no please, I already see enough human in real life. Do not want to see more in my second life… Don’t mind if there is an option that allow You and only You see other players as a Race you choose. But honestly, what Asura did to you guys…I mean they are cute and intelligent but by no mean, they are mean….(crying from inside)…

Please, learn to read.

EDIT: Since alot of people seem incapable of reading

Tumri

Please add an option for players to have all other character models in sPvP be switched to Human(or their choice of race if that isn’t too difficult to implement).

What did I misunderstand you?? And I know how to read..You suggest they have options to make all character models human.. And most likely in case this being implemented, there will be no options.So far,how many options you see we have out of thousands and thousands opts we NEED??And No, I don’t want to see more Human.. Please use your brain to comprehend what other people said bf accusing them for illiterate..

I think its possible to allow the game to only display players as humans for you. On their screen they will look like the race that they chose. If you choose you can display them as humans on your screen only, otherwise its off by default. So if you want to you can still see them as whatever race they chose, you don’t have to see humans everywhere.

That is exactly what I have in minds. Hope they don’t mess up along the way though.

in PvP

Posted by: Shanos.2459

Shanos.2459

Asura so small gives them a racial advantage in pvp, its un fair. as a result Ive been reroling all my character on my acount to asura just for this reason. i dont even like them but thats an advantage so ill abuse it. standing inside a larger character model so i cant be clicked is win. gg

in PvP

Posted by: Oni Link.4621

Oni Link.4621

Absolutely agree. It is the same problem noticed in other games where you can modify the height of your character during character creation.

+1

This should had been implemented long time ago and it is a “high priority” issue in my opinion.

in PvP

Posted by: OreoWolf.9564

OreoWolf.9564

I’m all for banning asura toons from spvp if they give us asura players a free character slot from the gem store to compensate I chose the race for the animations, and I make sure my asuras are as big as they can get so I can still show off my armor and weapons (somewhat). I do agree that it can be hard to read what an asura is doing, but I don’t think it is fair to force someone to delete a level 80 toon just to play Tpvp.

in PvP

Posted by: Kardiamond.6952

Kardiamond.6952

It’s annoying when you have to create a new character of the same class but as an Asura, just to be on equal footing in tPvP.

Rotthen (Necro) / Zhyx (Engineer) /Inglorious Beasterd (Ranger)
Server : Anvil Rock (Since Release!) [SOLO]

in PvP

Oni Link.4621

It’s annoying when you have to create a new character of the same class but as an Asura, just to be on equal footing in tPvP.

I will never do something like that, it’s really too “sad”. I prefer to be first target in teamfights and be “easy-readable” rather than using such expedients.

in PvP

Posted by: Kharr.5746

Kharr.5746

Normalized models would be nice. Bunker guardians tend to be very large male norns while thieves/rangers/mesmers tend to be the smallest asuras.

An alternate fix would be a better targeting system. If we could specify more than one target with different symbols, that’d potentially fix the problem. It exists in other MMOs and would be most welcomed in both PVE and PVP as it would greatly help teams coordinate targets across the map:

Currently we can target 1 enemy, but there are 3 points to defend (as well as combat on the road). Teams often split to deal with multiple points — but only half the team can use the targeting system since it overrides the other half’s target.

in PvP

Posted by: kodesh.2851

kodesh.2851

This thread again?

No. Leave it alone. There really is no issue here. Normalized models would look really goofy.

Sizzap – Asura Mesmer, Dragonbrand

in PvP

Posted by: Kardiamond.6952

Kardiamond.6952

I will never do something like that, it’s really too “sad”. I prefer to be first target in teamfights and be “easy-readable” rather than using such expedients.

I didn’t do it myself, but many of my friends did.

Maybe If I played on a higher level, were every little thing is vital, I would do it.

Rotthen (Necro) / Zhyx (Engineer) /Inglorious Beasterd (Ranger)
Server : Anvil Rock (Since Release!) [SOLO]

in PvP

Posted by: aaron.7850

aaron.7850

I dont see the problem, but if the devs to take action, please scale asurans to their max size in pvp, but please do not make them “human sized” as that would look ridiculous

in PvP

Posted by: ResJudicator.7916

ResJudicator.7916

There’s a pretty simple solution to this that would make both camps happy.

Just make it so each player has the OPTION of using normalized models for other players. This would work the same way that the “Show Team Colors” option currently does:

If I check the “normalize models” option, then everyone else’s character will always appear to me as a regular-sized human. BUT, each player will still see his own character as he originally designed it. So if you play an Asura, you will always view your character as an Asuran. You can play in all the tournaments, etc., and on your screen your character will look exactly the way you designed him/her. However, on my screen, your character will look like a regular-sized human.

This solution let’s people keep their character customization, but let’s the hypercompetitive players maintain and even playing field. As far as tournaments go, it would be up to the Caster to decide whether to check the “normalize models” option or not.

I’ve seen other people suggest this solution before, and I don’t claim to have originated it. In fact, it’s already been implemeneted with respect to team colors. I could deck my character out completely in pink, but if you have “Show Team Colors” selected, then my character will look either “Red” or “Blue” to you depending on my team. It is only logical to apply this same idea to the character-race problem.

(edited by ResJudicator.7916)

in PvP

Posted by: Julius.1094

Julius.1094

Just make it so each player has the OPTION of using normalized models for other players. This would work the same way that the “Show Team Colors” option currently does:

If I check the “normalize models” option, then everyone else’s character will always appear to me as a regular-sized human. BUT, each player will still see his own character as he originally designed it. So if you play an Asura, you will always view your character as an Asuran. You can play in all the tournaments, etc., and on your screen your character will look exactly the way you designed him/her. However, on my screen, your character will look like a regular-sized human.

This solution let’s people keep their character customization, but let’s the hypercompetitive players maintain and even playing field. As far as tournaments go, it would be up to the Caster to decide whether to check the “normalize models” option or not.

I’ve seen other people suggest this solution before, and I don’t claim to have originated it. In fact, it’s already been implemeneted with respect to team colors. I could deck my character out completely in pink, but if you have “Show Team Colors” selected, then my character will look either “Red” or “Blue” to you depending on my team. It is only logical to apply this same idea to the character-race problem.

This option will have to be implemented as it’s probably the only truly suitable option for an MMO that also wants to have a pvp esports worthy and it respects players choices and is pretty fair. I still think, with that change or otherwise, that the game would be better off the different race options had less extreme size variation, not by a lot, just a little, it’s over the top. I also think asura weapons should look larger in proportion to their body, but those are refinements. A “normalize” toggle would do it but I don’t think it should make everyone exactly average human sized, asura should be a little smaller than human (like 10%) and norn a little bigger (about 10% as well) just it doesn’t completely lose the game’s original feel.

Vidallis – 50 Shades of Pink – Engi/Warrior

(edited by Julius.1094)

in PvP

Posted by: Enmity.3428

Enmity.3428

Playing as an Asura in PvP is like playing as Oddjob in multiplayer Goldeneye.

Cheap.

…although I did laugh last night playing sPvP when I saw a tiny Asura Engineer called “Net Turret”.

Quite an effective ruse, haha!

in PvP

Posted by: Shanos.2459

Shanos.2459

I agree with this guy. somone pay the man.

in PvP

Posted by: ltkAlpha.4136

ltkAlpha.4136

Brilliant! I was pushing for a “tournament mode” – locking easily distinguishable models for each profession for “serious” play, and it never occurred to me “normalization” can be done client side. If that happens, nothing stops ANet from going one step further and allowing players and casters to set customized models for each profession, additionally enhancing visibility. Tip of the hat to you, good sir!

in PvP

Posted by: Jonwar.9205

Jonwar.9205

Playing as an Asura in PvP is like playing as Oddjob in multiplayer Goldeneye.
Cheap.
…although I did laugh last night playing sPvP when I saw a tiny Asura Engineer called “Net Turret”.
Quite an effective ruse, haha!

That fella’s in my guild xD.

Stealth

What did I misunderstand you?? And I know how to read..You suggest they have options to make all character models human.. And most likely in case this being implemented, there will be no options.So far,how many options you see we have out of thousands and thousands opts we NEED??And No, I don’t want to see more Human.. Please use your brain to comprehend what other people said bf accusing them for illiterate..

lol… am I being trolled?

Hurr Durr Blades – PvP Warrior
Jangeol – WvW Warrior

in PvP

Tumri.7892

This is pretty much what I was trying to say in the OP but written a bit more eloquently.

in PvP

Posted by: Alissah.9281

Alissah.9281

I never feel like people who play asura have an advantage against me. Im still acting the same as when ifight any other race: predict movements and actions, always be one tep ahead etc. For me seeing the animations isnt the most important part.
In one way i support this suggestion, but in another im againdt it.
Pros: people who have to/want to see animations can set everyone to human. The pros dont need explaining.
Cons: i chose sylvari because i think ts he most awesomest race, i spend alot of time in combinig dyes and clothes, i don want people to just make that go away in a simple click. Now, i know theres alot of people who dont care abou looks, but i do! I spend time on it and want people to see it, kind of.
Casting bars are a very bad idea for reasons ofhers (and anet) have stated.
If i was forced in another model i would actually complain on the forums instead of adding critisism.
I guess making the height difference between races less is quite reasonable… As lomg as asuras are still the smallest and norns the biggest. I just dont think its needed.
Seeing onl humans eould be pretty borin aswell :/.

New Rainbow Guild – An open-minded guild exclusively for Transgender people!
Warning: link may contain traces of awesome.
Lyssa’s Grimoire – a guide every Mesmer should read.

in PvP

Posted by: redslion.9675

redslion.9675

Problem is asura are harder to target and sometimes you HAVE to see whe they are casting something to actually dodge it.

BUT I play only big species. Because I like them. I’d like to see the option of seeing everyone and myself as a human model. Just for the competitve battles.

You will never be able to know what an engineer is going to do next…

because he doesn’t know it himself

in PvP

Stealth.9324

I don’t think Asura is harder to target, they have the same size of Target Box as every other class out there. I don;t have to see what they are casting. I look for hint. For example: If a Player play Mesmer GS and he raise his sword when his health is full. You don’t need to see he actually raise his sword, all I need to see is the tip of the sword being held up, then I know IBersker coming up. Not that hard really, IF you get used to it. Play one Asura to get to know an Asura,please.

in PvP

Oni Link.4621

No guys, the OP is absolutely right. There MUST be an option to see all characters as humans. You don’t have to use it, but it there should be. It is not about “I can’t see what an Asura does”. The problem is “why Norns are so easy to read while Asuras aren’t?”.
SPVP should be balanced in EVERY aspect.
You are not forced to use it, but there must be the option for who wants too.

PS: And yes, there is a difference between Asura or non-Asura, just look at tournaments: most of players are Asura. Ugly to play against and ugly to watch, really.