Phantasm mesmer, unbeatable in 1v1?

in PvP

Posted by: wookie.8934

wookie.8934

Far from unbeatable. Difficult to kill? Yes, but so are BM rangers and plenty of other builds. Biggest thing that usually stops me as a phantasm mesmer is blinds/interrupts when I start spawning them. If you can catch the mesmer trying to spawn them, you’ll have a good window to burst them down or unload conditions. I fought one thief, for example, who would blind me as he saw me spawn them and, when I did manage to spawn a duelist, dropped black powder on it and proceeded to burst me down.

It’s not impossible to beat people. This is just one of many examples.

Havok Legion [HL]
Fort Aspenwood

(edited by wookie.8934)

in PvP

Posted by: Arganthium.5638

Arganthium.5638

The only counter to a phantasm Mesmer in a 1v1 is another phantasm Mesmer.

Since you’re assuming a 1v1 scenario, that allows for specific counter utilities. If I’m going against a condition heavy class, I will take the heal mantra for rapid condition removal through mender’s purity as well as the condition removal mantra. Between the 2 of those, you can remove about 8 conditions every 20 seconds, which is far more than enough to deal with any condition class.

Other classes and builds have different counters. I will change my utilities to suit each individual 1v1. There is no counter to a phantasm Mesmer with utilities set up for your class. If you catch the Mesmer with poorly set up utilities, you have a chance, although the build is still immensely powerful.

Do you happen to have access to one of these allegedly “OP” phanta builds on you? Couldn’t find any on Fay’s guide.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

in PvP

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

I have yet to beat one on my spec…. 45k retal in the damage breakdown? GG. Next time I just wont attack you and will CC till the point is mine. #kittenIDefender

in PvP

Posted by: Pyroatheist.9031

Pyroatheist.9031

Since you’re assuming a 1v1 scenario, that allows for specific counter utilities. If I’m going against a condition heavy class, I will take the heal mantra for rapid condition removal through mender’s purity as well as the condition removal mantra. Between the 2 of those, you can remove about 8 conditions every 20 seconds, which is far more than enough to deal with any condition class.

Other classes and builds have different counters. I will change my utilities to suit each individual 1v1. There is no counter to a phantasm Mesmer with utilities set up for your class. If you catch the Mesmer with poorly set up utilities, you have a chance, although the build is still immensely powerful.

Do you happen to have access to one of these allegedly “OP” phanta builds on you? Couldn’t find any on Fay’s guide.

…my guide is listed in Fay’s guide under the simple title of ‘Overpowered’

in PvP

Arganthium.5638

Thanks, checking it out now. It’ll give me a good idea on feedback to give about countering phanta mes.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

in PvP

Posted by: wads.5730

wads.5730

Thanks, checking it out now. It’ll give me a good idea on feedback to give about countering phanta mes.

you cant really counter them in spvp, you cant get high enough burst to kill them quickly enough. in wvw, any class with enough burst/aoe will be able to defeat them.

the easiest way to defeat them in spvp is a build with access to alot of blinds, and a player that is exceptional at timing blinds during phantasm summoning.

in PvP

Arganthium.5638

you cant really counter them in spvp, you cant get high enough burst to kill them quickly enough. in wvw, any class with enough burst/aoe will be able to defeat them.

the easiest way to defeat them in spvp is a build with access to alot of blinds, and a player that is exceptional at timing blinds during phantasm summoning.

Perhaps, but I’ve heard the whole “such-and-such is uncounterable” in all kinds of strategy games before, and I’ve found that that, generally speaking, is untrue.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

in PvP

Posted by: uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong.8041

At caed’s 2v2 arena I saw zoose 1v1 a phantasm Mesmer think it was phataram and he won 3 out of 4 of the ones I saw as a S/D ele. Gotta use mist form when they start doing the combo on you, you just have to watch them do there combos enough to know when to go invulnerable.

in PvP

Posted by: redslion.9675

redslion.9675

Well, as a bunker, mesmers can’t take you down: you can simply outheal all their damage. Not sure about being able to down them, though. That depends on the class.

You will never be able to know what an engineer is going to do next…

because he doesn’t know it himself

in PvP

Posted by: TheMightyAltroll.3485

TheMightyAltroll.3485

A good Phantasmal/Shatter Mesmer will take down any bunker within time, don’t know what you’re talking about, bro.

Contact me ingame for Necro, Ranger, Mesmer, and Thief advice.

in PvP

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

Well, as a bunker, mesmers can’t take you down: you can simply outheal all their damage. Not sure about being able to down them, though. That depends on the class.

I don’t think you’re playing against very good mesmers, every Mesmer I know (including myself) eat bunkers for breakfast.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in PvP

Posted by: Mathias.9657

Mathias.9657

Ranger can definitely kill a mes 1v1 because they’re just as ridiculous right now.

Back to WoW, make GW2 fun please.

in PvP

Posted by: Archaon.6245

Archaon.6245

Too bad phantasm is almost totally useless in tpvp…just good to facerool random ppl in hotjoin, but you can do it with almost every dps spec if you play it decently…and as i already said, pretty much every heavy condition spec totally ruins mesmers since shatter spec doesn’t bring shattered conditions and phantasm obviously doesn’t shatter…

(edited by Archaon.6245)

in PvP

Posted by: Earthmonkey.4326

Earthmonkey.4326

I can beat phantasm mesmers with my Engi.

I run a rifle build. It’s not easy, especially since I’m rusty (back from a 3 month hiatus) But I’ve won 1v1s with phantasm mesmers about 60% of the time I actually find one and can fight him 1v1.

in PvP

Posted by: Kharr.5746

Kharr.5746

I probably shouldn’t be recommending this, but go try the following mesmer build. It’s really simple to play and anyone who has never played a mesmer can faceroll to victory most of the time. The only reason I’m posting this is because I’d like to see the QQ on the forums after a bunch of people faceroll to victory

Weapons: Sword + Pistol / Scepter + Sword, Sigil of Superior Accuracy on Offhands, Superior Leeching on Mainhand.

-Berserker amulet, 6x Superior Rune of Divinity

Build: 10,III / 30,II,IV,IX / 0 / 25,IV,V / 5
Utility Skills: Ether Feast, Blink, Veil, Decoy
Elite: Mass Invis (or Moa)

How to play:
1) Turn off auto attack (since it will pull you out of stealth at times)
2) If at range, open with Phantasmal Swordsman —> other weapon set, Phantasmal Duelist --> Magic Bullet —> Illusionary Leap --> Swap —> Blurred Frenzy. If player is dead, distortion stomp. If not dead, mindwrack. This will kill most players (15,000+ damage on 2600 toughness target on top of immibalize + daze)

3) If ambushed or 2) did not finish player, use one of your 3 stealth skills, repeat 2). Summoning phantasms does not break stealth so they won’t know where you are given the 1200 range on these skills.

If players try to run, phantasms will chase on a long leash and kill them. If you’re fighting thief, phantasms will re-engage after they come out of stealth. Simply use Illusionary Riposte + Illusionary Counter while waiting for thief to come out of stealth. This will block their backstab and leave them helpless. Or, you can just stealth too.

Cooldown on phantasms is 12 seconds with this build. Not sure if it’s a bug or not. Any player killing phantasms is wasting their time since they do their damage on the first hit and can be quickly re-summoned. I personally like to summon and shatter after their first hit.

Due to the 1200 range on phantasms, you can literally cast phantasm from max range and run away while your phantasms kill the player as they chase you (10k damage on opening hit on a 2600 armor target). Cowardice is your friend in victory. Remember to stealth + blink away if focused.

Remember to have fun (and run away)!

P.S. I do not take any credit for this build. A variation was shared on the mesmer forums a while ago. I have personally used it with great success.

(edited by Kharr.5746)

in PvP

Archaon.6245

Too bad this is gonna be totally useless in tpvp. Maybe would work in hotjoin…but also there aoe dps>single target dps and since noone gives a crap bout dieing in hotzerg i’ll stick to normal shatter…noone dodges there and you can make a mess with aoe burst…i can only figure this in a 1vs1 situation, but since is not viable for tpvp (Side def for example) you can just use it to duel random ppl outside tournaments and i don’t really see a reason for random worthless duels outside tpvp…

in PvP

Posted by: Kharr.5746

Kharr.5746

Too bad this is gonna be totally useless in tpvp. Maybe would work in hotjoin…but also there aoe dps>single target dps and since noone gives a crap bout dieing in hotzerg i’ll stick to normal shatter…noone dodges there and you can make a mess with aoe burst…i can only figure this in a 1vs1 situation, but since is not viable for tpvp (Side def for example) you can just use it to duel random ppl outside tournaments and i don’t really see a reason for random worthless duels outside tpvp…

I take it you did not read the thread title: “Phantasm mesmer, unbeatable in 1v1?”

Yes, that’s a 1v1 build, posted in a thread about 1v1.

in PvP

redslion.9675

I just rolled a phantasm mesmer.

Fact:

I tried really hard. I put every single drop of energy in this task, but nothing. No avail.

I failed.

No matter how hard I try…

… the game won’t let me lose, as long as I am a mesmer.

Tried standing still. Tried screwing up every single Blurred Frenzy I launched. Nothing. I still killed people in 1v1.

And I am NOT skilled.

in PvP

Archaon.6245

I take it you did not read the thread title: “Phantasm mesmer, unbeatable in 1v1?”

Sorry but…what’s the actual purpose of an 1vs1 build since 1vs1 is worthless in a team-based game? I figured out 1vs1 as a side point defending situation (Or maybe mid, but there’s always a guardian at mid…and you can’t do kitten vs a decent bunker guardian with a mesmer in a decent amount of time before backup rushes in owning you)…and that’s the only useful contest that comes to mind…outside that 1vs1 is totally unuseful….maybe for hotzerg? But still nonsense since that uber freaking zerg with minions, cats, dogs and kitten is going to rollover you as soon as you stay in one point alone for more that 5 secs…

Btw i usually kill average phantasm mesmers with thief, shatter mez and dps guard…ok i know how mesmer works but all you really need to do is dodging when he’s pointing gs to the sky (izerk incoming), then apply pressure…done. Aoe around is really appreciated too…cluster bomb ftw.

And again…condition dmg is the fastest way to destroy pretty much every mesmer spec around.

(edited by Archaon.6245)

in PvP

Archaon.6245

Fact:

I tried really hard. I put every single drop of energy in this task, but nothing. No avail.

I failed.

Tried standing still. Tried screwing up every single Blurred Frenzy I launched. Nothing. I still killed people in 1v1.

And I am NOT skilled.

Stop trying vs random hs spamming thieves and warrriors maybe and go vs a decent hgh engi and get your kitten kicked all day long…or if you really wanna be roflstomped just go tpvp..

in PvP

Posted by: Theplayboy.6417

Theplayboy.6417

Pretty basic. You kill their Phantasms, ignore their clones, avoid their blurred frenzy burst, and DPS the Mesmer in between. Condy damage on the Mesmer normally works best. If you ignore the Phantasms and just focus on the Mesmer you’re doing it wrong.

in PvP

Posted by: Theplayboy.6417

Theplayboy.6417

Fact:

I failed.

And I am NOT skilled.

All lies…..except for the part about you not being skilled apparently.

in PvP

redslion.9675

Aww, come on! It was a joke. But i killed many times a rank 37 ranger, who was playing MUCH better than me. And I think it’s unfair. No hs thieves. No warriors.

And why should I play tpvp with this build? I thought we were talking about 1v1.XD

in PvP

Archaon.6245

Aww, come on! It was a joke. But i killed many times a rank 37 ranger, who was playing MUCH better than me. And I think it’s unfair. No hs thieves. No warriors.

And why should I play tpvp with this build? I thought we were talking about 1v1.XD

If you killed him many times i don’t think he was playing so good…or he was just pew pewing around with zerker amulet? Well we’re talking about tpvp because 1vs1 is worth nothing…since this is a team cooperative game (Teamfights, tactics..stuff like that) not street fighter…seems pretty obvious to me….i don’t even consider those “Come let’s 1vs1 i’ll kill ya noooobbbb!!1!1!” (Meanwhile their team is 3capped and -200) and so on crazy hotjoin heroes as a part of this game…it’s just a little ghetto slowly disappearing as soon as they rank up and realize you must not play for yourself here or you’re going to fail really badly…1vs1 importance usually fades while gaining in game experience…so not a real problem at all..everyone playing tpvp knows that there are many fights you just can’t win alone and many situations where you must ask for support…and that’s why you have a group, lone rambos are going to be shredded into pieces by any decent team if they don’t know their limits…

(edited by Archaon.6245)

in PvP

redslion.9675

But we have to put a big disclaimer for players: don’t take hotjoins seriously!XD

in PvP

Archaon.6245

But we have to put a big disclaimer for players: don’t take hotjoins seriously!XD

This is the first rule in gw2 pvp along with “More ppl on the same point don’t cap it faster” xD

in PvP

Posted by: Zelulose.8695

Zelulose.8695

I ran a perma evade thief with vigor on withdraw sigil of energy and rune of the adventurer. I spammed dodge and still took damage for any split second delay. Dodging doesn’t have any use unless you plan to run. Bm ranger can kill a phantasm mesmer but the best phantasm Mesmer will beat the best ranger as long as he dodges the pet.

Lucky Leaf, Ángël, Clergyman, Side Kick -Lets make Gw2 a better game

in PvP

Posted by: Phira.3970

Phira.3970

Phantom builds are weak in team fights because they die to random AoE.

And if you have decent damage, you can kill the phantoms quick enough and the mesmer will have literally no damage since phantom is all their damage. It’s fair in that it punishes 100% bunker builds for not having any damage to kill the phantoms quick enough.

in PvP

Zelulose.8695

Phantom builds are weak in team fights because they die to random AoE.

And if you have decent damage, you can kill the phantoms quick enough and the mesmer will have literally no damage since phantom is all their damage. It’s fair in that it punishes 100% bunker builds for not having any damage to kill the phantoms quick enough.

Actually, the phantasmal berserker evades while it strikes. Furthermore, they can be summoned every 9 seconds and they are an aoe 5-7k damage depending on how many times the whirl hits. They also summon portals for teams to move better. Also, they can simply summon two and right after they unload shatter them for more aoe damage with less range. An excuse that mesmer is bad in in groups is a mesmer-defensive understatement.

in PvP

Posted by: sorrychief.2563

sorrychief.2563

kill the phantasms, simple. they die in 1 hit even when traited for having more health.

champion magus
previously rank 2 on old leaderboards
EG.secret.OG.NAVI.sorrychief

in PvP

Zelulose.8695

Phantasms have up to 3.5k health. I would like to know how many 1 hits you can pull off especially when they share aegis and protection.

in PvP

Posted by: Punkins.2087

Punkins.2087

seriously?

only thing giving me trouble right now is the necros with 100 pets and good rangers.

people need to look a little further than page 1 google hits for builds and strats..

in PvP

Zelulose.8695

Anyway the question was how to defeate the mesmer. The attempt by the beast-master ranger is to go 0-10-30-10-20 and trait for increased running speed and pet condi damage on critical hits. Furthermore, trait for and condi remove lots of regeneration including the signet that grants regeneration. Use a shamans ammy and shortbow. Focus hard on finding the mesmer and lock the pet on the mesmer (once locked the pet will follow the mesmer). Just keep shooting the short-bow until the mesmer bleeds to death. This will work only on mesmer that doesn’t use torch. If they use torch, they stealth 50% of the time and you wont kill them before they kill you (and eventually they Will kill you). Good luck.

in PvP

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

good thief will.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

in PvP

Nuka Cola.8520

kill the phantasms, simple. they die in 1 hit even when traited for having more health.

forgot about sig of illusion? and you’ll be eating reta damage attacking them while the mesmer and two other phantasms will be spamming you lol gl

in PvP

Posted by: bhagwad.4281

bhagwad.4281

Sorry but…what’s the actual purpose of an 1vs1 build since 1vs1 is worthless in a team-based game? I figured out 1vs1 as a side point defending situation (Or maybe mid, but there’s always a guardian at mid…and you can’t do kitten vs a decent bunker guardian with a mesmer in a decent amount of time before backup rushes in owning you)…and that’s the only useful contest that comes to mind…outside that 1vs1 is totally unuseful….maybe for hotzerg? But still nonsense since that uber freaking zerg with minions, cats, dogs and kitten is going to rollover you as soon as you stay in one point alone for more that 5 secs…

Btw i usually kill average phantasm mesmers with thief, shatter mez and dps guard…ok i know how mesmer works but all you really need to do is dodging when he’s pointing gs to the sky (izerk incoming), then apply pressure…done. Aoe around is really appreciated too…cluster bomb ftw.

And again…condition dmg is the fastest way to destroy pretty much every mesmer spec around.

Guild Wars 2 is NOT a team based game. Just because you have the option to play in a team does not make it team based. When I roll a phantasm mesmer in hotjoin, I couldn’t care less about the team and I usually end up getting the highest rank points of everyone in the arena.

What was that about “team based” game again?

in PvP

Posted by: Hexs.8015

Hexs.8015

I think its reasonable to assume the devs are looking into both BM rangers and phantasm mesmers

in PvP

Nuka Cola.8520

I think its reasonable to assume the devs are looking into both BM rangers and phantasm mesmers

instead of nerfing good builds as those two are, why not up all other laughable kittenty builds to a competitive level? Oh wait nvm, that would take too long and too much money spent, time to move…

in PvP

Posted by: Jasher.6580

Jasher.6580

How many Phantasm Mesmers are in the current meta? Oh that’s right… zero… I wonder why?

in PvP

Archaon.6245

Guild Wars 2 is NOT a team based game. Just because you have the option to play in a team does not make it team based. When I roll a phantasm mesmer in hotjoin, I couldn’t care less about the team and I usually end up getting the highest rank points of everyone in the arena.

Yeay i get the highest glory in hotjoin so i’m sooo good….

Not even worth an answer, i don’t like flaming ppl to death…

in PvP

bhagwad.4281

Since the entire goal of PvP is get rank points, I think it’s pretty obvious that those who get the most are the best.

Do we really need to debate this?

in PvP

Jasher.6580

Since the entire goal of PvP is get rank points, I think it’s pretty obvious that those who get the most are the best.

“Rank Points” are meaningless… if you lose game matches, your footing on the leaderboards attenuates.

(edited by Jasher.6580)

in PvP

bhagwad.4281

“Rank Points” are meaningless… if you lose game matches, your footing on the leaderboards attenuates.

Losing/winning matches is a reflection of your team not personal skill. I think it’s pretty absurd that leaderboards are individual based for matches that are not really individual skill related.

Rank points are the only measurable form of progress in the game along with better gear etc. Ergo, the person with max rank points is by definition the best PvP player.

in PvP

Archaon.6245

Losing/winning matches is a reflection of your team not personal skill. I think it’s pretty absurd that leaderboards are individual based for matches that are not really individual skill related.

Rank points are the only measurable form of progress in the game along with better gear etc. Ergo, the person with max rank points is by definition the best PvP player.

Aaand no…simple question, have you ever played a bunker in tornament? I guess not…honour points at the end of the match usually show who dealt more dmg around, that’s why roaming classes (Even better if using aoes) always get more points…you can just go hotzerg running here and there spamming random dmg during teamfights without downing a single enemy and get the highest score. Does it mean you’re good? Off course not…i can end a match as mid bunker with less than 50 pnts (Happens really often) just because i defended the point all match without letting them to decap it and since i’m not going to kill or roam around i can’t get much, defending points always gives low score but without someone defending them (Even with his ridiculous <50 pnts) all team goes to hell…so judging personal skill watching at end match score is one of the most stupid things someone can do in pvp…and i say this as a r52 probably far higher than yours…

(edited by Archaon.6245)

in PvP

bhagwad.4281

Aaand no…simple question, have you ever played a bunker in tornament? I guess not…honour points at the end of the match usually show who dealt more dmg around, that’s why roaming classes (Even better if using aoes) always get more points…you can just go hotzerg running here and there spamming random dmg during teamfights without downing a single enemy and get the highest score. Does it mean you’re good? Off course not…i can end a match as mid bunker with less than 50 pnts (Happens really often) just because i defended the point all match without letting them to decap it and since i’m not going to kill or roam around i can’t get much, defending points always gives low score but without someone defending them (Even with his ridiculous <50 pnts) all team goes to hell…so judging personal skill watching at end match score is one of the most stupid things someone can do in pvp…and i say this as a r52 probably far higher than yours…

After lots of experimentation I can attest that you can get many more rank points in hotjoin than in sPvP because the matchmaking system keeps pitting you against higher ranked teams the more matches you win and you still get the same 200 glory reward at the end with a 50/50 chance of winning. With hotjoin you can reliably get many many more rank points. Ergo, hotjoin is better than tPvP.

This is the way Anet has set up the system and there seems to be no upcoming changes. So I have to assume that this was their intention all along.

Also you’re kind of negating your own point by saying you’re r52. Meaning you consider yourself good and have a bucketload of rank points. So you’re hardly in a position to diminish the value of rank points in the first place! All things being equal, a higher ranked player has a far better chance of being better than a low ranked player. Coincidence? I don’t think so.

Rank points are the sole goal of PvP just like loot is the sole goal of PvE. Take away loot and no one will play PvE any more. Take away rank points and PvP becomes meaningless.

I say this as an r40 mesmer who loves to kill stuff solo. Enjoy!

in PvP

Posted by: Hexs.8015

Hexs.8015

Rank points are the sole goal of PvP just like loot is the sole goal of PvE. Take away loot and no one will play PvE any more. Take away rank points and PvP becomes meaningless.

Rank 35 here: I just play pvp for the fun of it. Rank pts, dyes, laurels and gear unlocks are just gravy to me

in PvP

Archaon.6245

After lots of experimentation I can attest that you can get many more rank points in hotjoin than in sPvP because the matchmaking system keeps pitting you against higher ranked teams the more matches you win and you still get the same 200 glory reward at the end with a 50/50 chance of winning. With hotjoin you can reliably get many many more rank points. Ergo, hotjoin is better than tPvP.

This is the way Anet has set up the system and there seems to be no upcoming changes. So I have to assume that this was their intention all along.

Also you’re kind of negating your own point by saying you’re r52. Meaning you consider yourself good and have a bucketload of rank points. So you’re hardly in a position to diminish the value of rank points in the first place! All things being equal, a higher ranked player has a far better chance of being better than a low ranked player. Coincidence? I don’t think so.

I say this as an r40 mesmer who loves to kill stuff solo. Enjoy!

Yes i’m rank 52 and no i don’t consider being high ranked = good player. Many high ranks…even 60+ made their rank farming hotjoin (Since spamming granades on hotjoin zergs all day is way faster then going tpvp) and they barely go for serious tournaments and i would trade them for a r40 with tpvp experience anyday. Again there’s a big difference between farming honor and playing good…e VERY BIG difference..roflstomping random ppl in hotjoin and setting up a tactic playing for your team trying to get better is a totally different story…we all know that running around like a crazy chicken in hotzerg gives you more rewards than going tournaments and that’s why this game is so kittened up

(edited by Archaon.6245)

in PvP

Jasher.6580

You are the bad player who stays on points to cap them with 2 other people just to accumulate points.

in PvP

bhagwad.4281

You are the bad player who stays on points to cap them with 2 other people just to accumulate points.

You’re forgetting that the purpose of the game is to accumulate points not to win the match. That’s tPvP you’re thinking of and in tPvP I don’t stand on a point if someone else is there.

Apparently there are some people who like to play just for “fun”, but that’s not a viewpoint I can truly understand. Still, to each his own.

in PvP

Posted by: Gaidax.7835

Gaidax.7835

Take Phantasm Mesmer, add Soldier’s Amulet with Berserker’s Jewel, add s/s and s/p (both right hands sigils of purity, offhands accuracy). Equip Signet of Illusions.

Have fun doing almost Berserker level of damage, while being insanely tough with 8s cd Blurred, 2.5k armor, 24k hp and block on demand that crits for 3k+.

Weaknesses: can’t chase people, extremely heavy condition spam from a non glass engineer, slow.
Strengths: 1v2 are not a problem, can survive insane bursts, can fight on a point really well, excellent damage to survivability ratio.

Amazing in hotjoin. High damage and heavy defense crush pretty much 90% of people there, many won’t even be able to really hurt you.

(edited by Gaidax.7835)