Psychology: Dislike for Long Term PvP Goals?

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

What kind of long-term rewards would people like to see? Maybe a rank 80 ‘prestige’ system is something to explore.

hi evan!

well i would want rank 80 and beyond. infinite ranks.
the finisher stops at dragon finisher at rank 80 though.
but people could be rank 81 … rank 82 …. rank 100 … rank 200 … etc.
pretty much like WvW ranks. but without additional benefits, just a number.

i know i will not reach that stage but i think there are many players who would, and they might appreciate such a thing.

in PvP

Posted by: Seifer Thalaen.7869

Seifer Thalaen.7869

Long term goals aren’t a bad thing. Even after the re-balance, it will take the average player a very long time to reach 80 and will still be the long term goal for most people.

It’s important to have goals for different time commitments. Short term goal could be reward tracks or some skins. Medium term goals could be season rewards and a ladder. Long terms goals could be a legendary, rank 80 (for most people) or possibly multi-season rewards and yearly tournaments.

What kind of long-term rewards would people like to see? Maybe a rank 80 ‘prestige’ system is something to explore.

Very long time? With 1.5k/win? Are you kidding me? …some of us managed to get 65+ and even r70 (68 almost 69 in my case, and i pretty much left pvp after your rank reworking system went off on ready up…like many others high ranked old players) with way less rewards in 1 year and half (Not considering those who finished their last ranks on sh), it will take WAY less than 6 months to go from 1 to 80 with decent (Not esl level, just decent..) tpvp playing with this crap, seriously i could take this second account that is currently r10 or something and go straight to 80 in some months after this patch…again, are you serious? Compared to gw1 ranks this is a dam joke, this is not a long time goal…a long time goal should take YEARS to get it, in gw1 took me YEARS to get phoenix..let alone dragon that i never got (And never wanted since it was intended for more dedicated players than me), and i was totally fine with that since i’m not a kid “Buuuuh he’s higher rank than me, i want that too but i don’t want to work for it!! Plz nerf!” Or do you actually fear your game is going to be dead already in 2015?

(edited by Seifer Thalaen.7869)

in PvP

Posted by: Phaeton.9582

Phaeton.9582

Long term goals aren’t a bad thing. Even after the re-balance, it will take the average player a very long time to reach 80 and will still be the long term goal for most people.

It’s important to have goals for different time commitments. Short term goal could be reward tracks or some skins. Medium term goals could be season rewards and a ladder. Long terms goals could be a legendary, rank 80 (for most people) or possibly multi-season rewards and yearly tournaments.

CoD style ‘Prestige’ is just a less aggressive way of saying “I’ve played much more than you” to having visible 80+ ranks.

It is however not a bad system, where a players prestige could appear as an emblem on their nameplate.

Also, perhaps when templates are released, the reward could be an additional template slot?

One thing that could also work with this is a a greater rank gain for being in a higher ladder bracket.

Phaatonn, London UK

in PvP

Posted by: Nary Why Irk.8150

Nary Why Irk.8150

I kind of tried to make them see this difference for a few days and stated why r55 shouldn´t be the top, but it doesn´t seem that they listen to that argument.

(edited by Moderator)

in PvP

Posted by: Seifer Thalaen.7869

Seifer Thalaen.7869

They never listened to anything…infact i’m not really surprised for the actual sotg, this is gonna be the last blow to make the few old and loyal pvp players quit. Go on, bring more casuals in and give them free ranks, so they’ll get their dragon in no time and leave pvp forever while the ones who worked for it since first day are just going to quit because you pretty much threw more than one year of constant efforts straight into the trash, you’ll lose your actual high tier players and the new ones will leave in a couple of months too after getting their meaningless emote. Smart move indeed, you’re gonna have usual 3 teams vs each other forever in esl and noone else around except for a bunch of dummy-dragon-ranks-wannabe casuals getting their cookie in a couple of months and leaving. Is gonna be serious fun watching the rusty boat sinking from outside pow after quitting, probably more fun than actual pvp.

(edited by Moderator)

in PvP

Posted by: Uhtameit.2413

Uhtameit.2413

hi evan!

well i would want rank 80 and beyond. infinite ranks.
the finisher stops at dragon finisher at rank 80 though.
but people could be rank 81 … rank 82 …. rank 100 … rank 200 … etc.
pretty much like WvW ranks. but without additional benefits, just a number.

i know i will not reach that stage but i think there are many players who would, and they might appreciate such a thing.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/Psychology-Dislike-for-Long-Term-PvP-Goals/first#post3849496

You’re welcome, I guess.

I kind of tried to make them see this difference for a few days and stated why r55 shouldn´t be the top, but it doesn´t seem that they listen to that argument.

On the other hand, you are :

1) a skyhammer farmer
2) playing exclusively decap engi in soloQ
3) playing exclusively decap engi on Skyhammer in HotJoin

If anything, you are one of the reasons rank is now meaningless so you shouldn’t be arguing at all.

(edited by Uhtameit.2413)

in PvP

Posted by: Static.9841

Static.9841

On the other hand, you are a :

1) a skyhammer farmer
2) playing exclusively decap engi in soloQ
3) playing exclusively decap engi on Skyhammer in HotJoin

If anything, you are one of the reasons rank is now meaningless so you shouldn’t be arguing at all.

But, but, prestige and fame!!!

The funniest part about this whole thing, is that had he not have been Skyhammer farming before Anet mitigated the exploit to farm with AoE and the entire 2 teams dropping to their deaths, he’d still be R55 or lower. From this, I agree that he has made ranks meaningless to his argument.

In all fairness, despite being the forum’s biggest cartoon character, you can’t really bash him for using a legitimate build that a ton of other players also use, no more than you can Hambow warriors. The lack of build diversity is to blame here when certain build types are the current meta and need balance.

You can however bash him for constantly trying to throw out the idea of skill and dedication when he intentionally prioritises Skyhammer as his go-to map for the easiest route to rank up. Unfortunately hypocrisy is an empty concept for some.

[Zeus] Guild ~ Desolation. Not some silly muffin thing, stop stalking me Dhiania!

(edited by Static.9841)

in PvP

Nary Why Irk.8150

Solo Q leaderboard as of today.

1 gaodino.5097 Drago Punk Warri 65 53 55,08% Plaza de Vizunah [FR]
2 desde 2/4/14 18:26 CET Nacht Fuchs.3762 Nacht Fuchs 223 149 59,95% Ribera [DE]
3 Xion.3509 Mini Xion 602 383 61,12% Kodash [DE]
4 HPLT.7132 Wîk 196 136 59,04% Desolación
5 Nary Why Irk.8150 Bombing Technology 1198 807 59,75% Bahía de Baruch [ES]

in PvP

Nary Why Irk.8150

On a side note, let users keep posting their suggestions in order to rework the rank system in a reasonable way

in PvP

Posted by: Uhtameit.2413

Uhtameit.2413

Solo Q leaderboard as of today.

1 gaodino.5097 Drago Punk Warri 65 53 55,08% Plaza de Vizunah [FR]
2 desde 2/4/14 18:26 CET Nacht Fuchs.3762 Nacht Fuchs 223 149 59,95% Ribera [DE]
3 Xion.3509 Mini Xion 602 383 61,12% Kodash [DE]
4 HPLT.7132 Wîk 196 136 59,04% Desolación
5 Nary Why Irk.8150 Bombing Technology 1198 807 59,75% Bahía de Baruch [ES]

On a side note, let users keep posting their suggestions in order to rework the rank system in a reasonable way

That looks like a nice suggestion in order to rework the rank system.Thanks !

in PvP

Posted by: Proven.2854

Proven.2854

Rank 80 is still a long term goal. Getting a Legendary is still a long term goal. Is what you want a possible infinite goal? Some people in PvE complain about the same thing after getting their Legendaries and Ascended Armor, and all I can think about is how to find a balance?

Longevity always felt like it was better served by things that bring you back to the game with even slightly different experiences and goals. For WvW and PvP this tends to be tournaments with prizes, and for PvE it’s the Living Story.

I will be rank 80 and im super casual. During some weeks i dont play any games and during other weeks i play a few more. But never more than a 2 hours a day. Shortly after the release i quit GW2 for several months even to go back to wow arenas.

If what i have rankwise is the finishline of our longterm goal, the hardcore players will be left in the cold. It doesnt make sense to do this tbh. Are we turning in to wow where every single player needs to see everything and get the same rewards as the hardcore players?

How many PvP matches have you played? How many hours have you put in? And how many would you recommend it being for Dragon Rank?

Even with the increased rank rewards it should take months of casual play to reach the new Rank 80. The game has been out for a year and a half.

Will people really be better served by an infinite/never ending type of grind? Or at least so much longer that it takes more than half a year of casual play to do?

Everyone here is on the same page on one thing, the rank progression should continue past 80 in some meaningful way, people should be able to differentiate themselves when they get to r80, whether it’s by a number or finisher or title or anything else.

I agree that having something to differentiate yourself at rank 80 would be nice. But it should not be through a grind/rank system. It should be through a specific achievement system. Like the current tournament win system for titles.

Call me Smith.

(edited by Proven.2854)

in PvP

Posted by: bhagwad.4281

bhagwad.4281

Rank 80 is still a long term goal. Getting a Legendary is still a long term goal. Is what you want a possible infinite goal? Some people in PvE complain about the same thing after getting their Legendaries and Ascended Armor, and all I can think about is how to find a balance?

Longevity always felt like it was better served by things that bring you back to the game with even slightly different experiences and goals. For WvW and PvP this tends to be tournaments with prizes, and for PvE it’s the Living Story.

I will be rank 80 and im super casual. During some weeks i dont play any games and during other weeks i play a few more. But never more than a 2 hours a day. Shortly after the release i quit GW2 for several months even to go back to wow arenas.

If what i have rankwise is the finishline of our longterm goal, the hardcore players will be left in the cold. It doesnt make sense to do this tbh. Are we turning in to wow where every single player needs to see everything and get the same rewards as the hardcore players?

How many PvP matches have you played? How many hours have you put in? And how many would you recommend it being for Dragon Rank?

Even with the increased rank rewards it should take months of casual play to reach the new Rank 80. The game has been out for a year and a half.

Will people really be better served by an infinite/never ending type of grind? Or at least so much longer that it takes more than half a year of casual play to do?

Everyone here is on the same page on one thing, the rank progression should continue past 80 in some meaningful way, people should be able to differentiate themselves when they get to r80, whether it’s by a number or finisher or title or anything else.

I agree that having something to differentiate yourself at rank 80 would be nice. But it should not be through a grind/rank system. It should be through a specific achievement system. Like the current tournament win system for titles.

Many people always need something next to achieve. Sure, r80 will be tough for many but don’t those of us who reach r80 need something to come afterwards? And it can’t be an ephemeral goal like MMR rankings that can go up or down.

Also, keep in mind that tournament wins is not a better metric that “grind” as you put it. Because you’re always paired with people of your skill level so by definition you more or less win 50% of your matches whether you’re the poorest player in the world, or one of the best. So a good and bad player will win the same number of matches in a given amount of time.

Ultimately grind is not something to be shunned. What some people view as grind, others (like me) view as working towards something. The journey towards the carrot is why people like me play in the first place.

What is perhaps more to the point is that a separate reward system for those of us who like to “grind” does not come in the way of anyone else. It’s a complete win-win scenario that I don’t see any downsides with. Do you?

(edited by bhagwad.4281)

in PvP

Posted by: Proven.2854

Proven.2854

So what you’re saying is that you want something that was essentially never ending, in tiers, with some type of ever increasing reward for each tier? That you’ll need some kind of never ending material goal so you can keep on playing forever?

Call me Smith.

in PvP

bhagwad.4281

So what you’re saying is that you want something that was essentially never ending, in tiers, with some type of ever increasing reward for each tier? That you’ll need some kind of never ending material goal so you can keep on playing forever?

Exactly.

in PvP

Posted by: Exedore.6320

Exedore.6320

Do you want to add a “Bronze Rabbit” up to “Diamond Dragon” like in WvW that would only attach bragging rights and where each successive one requires more rank ups to achieve?

Kirrena Rosenkreutz

in PvP

bhagwad.4281

Do you want to add a “Bronze Rabbit” up to “Diamond Dragon” like in WvW that would only attach bragging rights and where each successive one requires more rank ups to achieve?

Yeah. Any form of progression is fine. As long as it’s visible to others…

in PvP

Posted by: The Kurt.2518

The Kurt.2518

A prestige system after rank 80 would be great, 80 would still be a long-term goal for new players, and the prestige system would be a long-term goal for veteran players. If you already have rank 80 I don’t think that the rewards have to be incredibly flashy, you’re probably playing PvP because you think it’s fun if you’ve come that far.

It’s still important that people can see that you have a high prestige, titles and finisher could be cool way to do this, maybe a star by your name, similar to the one you get for map completion in PvE? Cool back pieces could be awesome, and maybe add something similar to the selfless potion that we saw during the Attack on Lion’s Arch?

As long as it’s never ending, and other people can actually notice how high prestige I have I’ll be happy; the rank cap should probably stay at 80

in PvP

The Kurt.2518

This could be cool as well: The players in the top team on both EU and US servers get a cool title, if they loose versus another team, they loose that title and that team gets it instead, a bit like king of the hill. Some incentive for continuing to play would have to be added to avoid ppl who got the title from stopping to play; one thing could be that you automatically loose the title if you don’t play for a while

in PvP

Posted by: Nhalx.9735

Nhalx.9735

honestly I like that idea, once you hit 80 you get dragon finisher, but after that you get rank 10 rabbit again but with increase in points necessary to get it.

Like in WvW you get Normal, Bronze, Silver, Gold Invader etc.

Why not do the same with PvP and just give everyone the opportunity to get the finishers, but at the same time create the actual means to go on towards something else.
I’m sure players like OE who already hit near 4 million will atleast feel something as of rewarded for their time spend in the game.
I myself am near 5k hours played, but OE is at 5.4k played already
With the way the ranks go on like that it would mean he would be recieving something in return for his time spend in PvP.
(OE as in Ostrich Egg)

Not like you need to make the Dragon Finisher gold or something, but the option would be viable.
Or even add an aura to the finisher.

Maybe even reward them with actual Rank up reward chests with the increase in prestige.

(edited by Nhalx.9735)

in PvP

The Kurt.2518

honestly I like that idea, once you hit 80 you get dragon finisher, but after that you get rank 10 rabbit again but with increase in points necessary to get it.

That would mean that you wouldn’t get matched up with people with the same rank, if the system couldn’t identify who has been rank 80 before. I think that a seperate system from the ranks, like prestige would be better

in PvP

Posted by: Clip.6845

Clip.6845

This could be cool as well: The players in the top team on both EU and US servers get a cool title, if they loose versus another team, they loose that title and that team gets it instead, a bit like king of the hill. Some incentive for continuing to play would have to be added to avoid ppl who got the title from stopping to play; one thing could be that you automatically loose the title if you don’t play for a while

Yes, things you have to earn with skill > things you have to earn with grind.
It’d be great to see seasons with temporary titles and ranks that reset every season.

I’m not much of a grind towards long term rewards player, but reading this thread I’m probably alone in this.

80’s: Engineer/Warrior/Necromancer/Mesmer/Thief/Elementalist/Guardian [Seafarer’s Rest]

in PvP

The Kurt.2518

Yes, things you have to earn with skill > things you have to earn with grind.
It’d be great to see seasons with temporary titles and ranks that reset every season.

I think there should be rewards both for grind and for skill, though the ones for skill should be more prestigiuos :P If you suck at the game but still play a lot, why not get at least some reward for trying?

in PvP

Posted by: Nhalx.9735

Nhalx.9735

That would mean that you wouldn’t get matched up with people with the same rank, if the system couldn’t identify who has been rank 80 before. I think that a seperate system from the ranks, like prestige would be better

I’m not even sure matchmaking works that way when i get matched up with ranks below mine.
During prime.
But yes, I was on about a prestige.

in PvP

The Kurt.2518

I think it might be because there’s few players playing, but I’m not certain :P If it’s not, then it should certainly be fixed, there’s nothing as embarrassing as to be stomped by a rabbit player xD

in PvP

Posted by: Smiley.5376

Smiley.5376

I just wanted to add that we need more long-term goals than the reward-tracks(and thus legendaries) which are coming from PvE, FOR ALL GAME-MODES(unification of PvE and PvP)

Summary:
Mini’s not RNG/Gem-based
Capes
Titles
More AP and more AP rewards
Ability to toggle visible pvp/wvw rank or fractal level on or off

Things that come to mind:

Unique Mini’s earnable through in-game content NOT RNG BASED

PvE; fractals/fractal unstabilities | world bosses | dungeons, PvP; ladder wins/seasons, WvW; Seasons

Capes, which is an expression of extensive experience(not grind materials/gold like legendaries/ascended armor are) in one area of the game

PvP; cfr my post on first page(numbers of wins for champion titles could become 500-1000-2000 or even higher), PvE; Combination of MULTIPLE HARD achievments tied to the hardest/rarest content in the game, WvW; ???

More titles

PvP; cfr my post on first page, PvE; Titles tied to the hardest/rarest content in the game like dem biggest bosses and unstabilities in fractals, WvW; ???

More AP to be earned through WvW(tbh no clue if you can earn AP through WvW, if not, cfr my post on the first page) and PvP(cfr my post on first page) and better rewards from AP boxes

example of rewards: choose 1/2/3 unique dye(s) that is previewable in function of ammount of AP obtained, 10 or more transmutation charges, more laurels, gift(s) for legendaries(pvp/wvwers really do not want to do map completion), more gold, …

Visible Fractal level, pvp rank(+ prestige) and wvw rank(this way achieving a rank becomes a long term goals since you can show it off to others)

ability to choose 1 to be shown at any given moment, every character can choose what rank/level they want to show, does NOT override titles, possibility to NOT show ANY rank

Truly yours,

El Smiley