PvP ranking imbalances.

PvP ranking imbalances.

in PvP

Posted by: Nanashi.5704

Nanashi.5704

So i enjoy the pvp on this game but I’m not one of the hardcore PvP only kind of people, I only just now hit lvl 30. I do solo q arena mostly because hotjoin is just a cluster F of madness that is only good for getting dailies done quickly.
So my question is why the heck am I, a fresh lvl 30, facing people who are lvls 40-50 and the occasional 60? Is it because that pvp is dying and there arent that many people in que my level?
I’ve seen a couple posts about MMR but I have no clue what that is. Matchmaking…rank? rating? And some dev saying that they fixed some problem with MMR, but they arent patching it till next month (which makes NO sense btw), so should that take care of it? Its more frustrating fighting people who are 10-30 levels above me and listening to them gripe than it is dealing with the broken meta.

PvP ranking imbalances.

in PvP

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

MMR stands for Match Making Rating. It means that people are not grouped based on their PvP level, but on how good they are based on their wins and losses. If you have a similar win% as a rank 60 guy, you’ll end up on his team often. It’s a good thing, not a bad thing.

The bad thing is that the solo matchmaker is not working perfectly at the moment. It should always split up the highest-ranked players, but sometimes it does not, especially during low-population hours like weekdays. The fix has been confirmed for the next PvP patch, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s already finished, just that it will be by the next PvP patch.

PvP ranking imbalances.

in PvP

Posted by: kirito.4138

kirito.4138

^^ Is slightly wrong. MMR has nothing to do with Win% or W/L Ratio or in-game rank.

Its based on your ranking on the leaderboard which is separate system to in-game rank. Your rating is a hidden value. How much you gain/lose depends on the difference in rating of your opponent. However, GW2 uses a system that tends to stack teams often the matches are lopsided espeically when the pool of people to match-make is very low.

http://www.twitch.tv/kirito4138
The only exclusive skyhammer stream

PvP ranking imbalances.

in PvP

NevirSayDie.6235

^^ Is slightly wrong. MMR has nothing to do with Win% or W/L Ratio or in-game rank.

Its based on your ranking on the leaderboard which is separate system to in-game rank. Your rating is a hidden value. How much you gain/lose depends on the difference in rating of your opponent. However, GW2 uses a system that tends to stack teams often the matches are lopsided espeically when the pool of people to match-make is very low.

Right, it’s based on your wins and losses vs. different people, weighted differently based on their MMR relative to yours.

PvP ranking imbalances.

in PvP

Posted by: Errant Venture.9371

Errant Venture.9371

The way match making works: the system groups players of similar rank to form teams, then it matches team up against one another.

Example: 7 top 200 players are queued and 4 players ranked around 80th percentile are queued. The matchmaking system will form two teams , one containing the top 5 ranked players and one containing the 4 low ranked players + 1 high ranked players. ONLY ONCE THE TEAMS ARE FORMED will the system try to match up two different teams. when not enough teams are forming, it’s VERY EASY for a group of low ranked players to be consistently matched up against a group of high ranked players.

It also explains why you will often play with the same people several matches in a row: the system tries to form teams out of people with VERY CLOSE MMRs. So if your team continues to lose several matches in a row, you will all maintain a similar MMR and will continue to be matched up together.

In the next PvP Drop (1.5-2 months away) this will be fixed: after two teams are matched up against one another the players will be scrambled so the team assignments are random.

The Battle Bakery [vPie]

PvP ranking imbalances.

in PvP

NevirSayDie.6235

In the next PvP Drop (1.5-2 months away) this will be fixed: after two teams are matched up against one another the players will be scrambled so the team assignments are random.

Better than random, they’ll be mixed based on leaderboard ranking. So the total MMR of both teams should always be similar.

And I’m really hoping it’s sooner than that…but unfortunately you could be right.

PvP ranking imbalances.

in PvP

Posted by: Nanashi.5704

Nanashi.5704

So I’m still gonna be put up against people 10-30 lvls above me the only difference is that now its 50/50 if they’re on my team or not? Well thats a bit better but still kinda sucky. I’d much rather be placed with people my own rank/skill level. But i guess that cant really happen since pvp is really dead =(

PvP ranking imbalances.

in PvP

Posted by: Errant Venture.9371

Errant Venture.9371

So I’m still gonna be put up against people 10-30 lvls above me the only difference is that now its 50/50 if they’re on my team or not? Well thats a bit better but still kinda sucky. I’d much rather be placed with people my own rank/skill level. But i guess that cant really happen since pvp is really dead =(

Yeah it’s not a completely desirable solution but unless the pvp community expands dramatically there’s not much to be done about it.

The Battle Bakery [vPie]

PvP ranking imbalances.

in PvP

NevirSayDie.6235

No, that’s not correct. Check my previous post. The matchmaker will “stagger” rankings so that each team ends up about equal. If one 70%, eight 80%, and one 90% players are in a match, one team would theoretically have the 70%, the 90%, and three 80% players, while the other team would have all 80% players.