Ready Up - Episode 18, 7/25 @ Noon PDT

in PvP

Posted by: Roe.3679

Roe.3679

It took them 18 months to decide healing signet needs to be nerfed.

Healing signet was rather useless for the first year or so of the game, so if you’re going to call it like you see it, you should look a little closer.

in PvP

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

Healing signet was rather useless for the first year or so of the game, so if you’re going to call it like you see it, you should look a little closer.

ya your right.
only took em 10 months or so right?

The point is anet might be one the slowest in terms of class balancing/skill changes and bugfixes for MMORPGs

Look at the laundry list of mesmer bugs that have been going on since beta
Ranger is still broken.

We probably wont see any changes until late sept/october.
And if they only going to spend 5-10 mins talking about it on a video, why would I get hyped? Judging by the past history, its not going to be any monumental changes

in PvP

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

Everytime they said something about balance something (exept warriors ofc) they actualy mean nerfing it into ground… Engi is now finally after 2 years in good place. It about time to nerf it… pardon balance..

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

in PvP

Posted by: Darnis.4056

Darnis.4056

Is the name “Ready up” supposed to be an ironic twist on the fact that no one Readies up in pvp ?

Will the Real Pink Puma Please stand up?

in PvP

Posted by: Brighteluden.2974

Brighteluden.2974

So, you’re telling me I’m going to have to wait 2 months+ to possibly get changes for my necro that probably won’t even change things much in terms of PvE? I’ll pass for now.

in PvP

Posted by: toutatis.9245

toutatis.9245

My ship has been wandering around with a perished crew for already a long time now. So disappointing.

in PvP

Posted by: Decrypter.1785

Decrypter.1785

Ill catch this on you tube i hope so i can watch in big screen

[WM]give us in game ladder

in PvP

Posted by: Decrypter.1785

Decrypter.1785

I only wish there was a kinda live fan show , would be great to see real peoples tears flow lol :P

[WM]give us in game ladder

in PvP

Posted by: Insanity.5174

Insanity.5174

2 months,well job.
Sure,so in this 2 months you can gather player feedbacks and throw them away like always,i like it.

in PvP

Posted by: Libertine Lush.1320

Libertine Lush.1320

Would you consider devoting a segment, no matter how short or even pre-recorded, to discussing what features are in development? Even if the offered information is frustratingly vague, it’s better than having no information—nothing to look forward to and the perception that nothing new is in development.

in PvP

Posted by: Abe Kleine.3568

Abe Kleine.3568

To clarify a point in the original post:

Regarding the “Skill Bar” segment, we’re going to be covering future balance updates for both the ranger and engineer. We’re only covering two on each episode because we want to make sure we’re conveying the information in a more easily digestible manner, and we want to make sure we’re giving every profession its due in terms of coverage.

More professions will be covered in the coming weeks.

-Grouch

Are you guys gonna do something about those Guardian Spirit weapons? I’d sure like to be able to use a set of utilities without being laughed at for its insignificance

in PvP

Posted by: Booms.2594

Booms.2594

To clarify a point in the original post:

Regarding the “Skill Bar” segment, we’re going to be covering future balance updates for both the ranger and engineer. We’re only covering two on each episode because we want to make sure we’re conveying the information in a more easily digestible manner, and we want to make sure we’re giving every profession its due in terms of coverage.

More professions will be covered in the coming weeks.

-Grouch

Are you guys gonna do something about those Guardian Spirit weapons? I’d sure like to be able to use a set of utilities without being laughed at for its insignificance

turret engi, spirit ranger, bannerbunker warr, WHY DO YOU WANT SPIRIT WEAPON AIDS TOO????

gerdian

in PvP

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

The point is anet might be one the slowest in terms of class balancing/skill changes and bugfixes for MMORPGs

Ranger is still broken.

And if they only going to spend 5-10 mins talking about it on a video, why would I get hyped? Judging by the past history, its not going to be any monumental changes

I agree with you on that.

Using Rangers as an example, what are some of the things that its playerbase mostly wishes for? To see the concept behind their profession mechanic reshaped in some way or another. They want it to be adapted to pve’s environment and pve’s design philosophy, they want to have more effective control of the pets (especially important to make the ranger profession more skillful in pvp) or simply a more effective AI.

But is there hopes of any of that being addressed in today’s Ready Up? Based on anet’s patch history, probably not. We’ll probably get some tweaks to some existing skills and traits, in a minimal attempt to fix the profession’s core issues with small bandaids. In fact, most of anet’s balancing has been as minimal as possible when it comes to polishing big, core systems that need, in some or another, a rethought of its mechanics.

If we look at games like League of Legends, we occasionally get champions that have their entire skillset and passives revamped, on top of bi-weekly balance. When something doesn’t works, it gets iterated upon.

Are anet’s designers so incredibly busy to iterate on their own systems? Or do anet’s designers think it’s not worth it? Or do they think that we, the playerbase, is exaggerating? The same playerbase that was able to successfully predict many of GW2’s combat shortcomings before the game was even out? Players today are not as ignorant to game design considerations as they were a few years ago.

And finally, we have the silence. We don’t know why balance patches take this long. We don’t get to see new skills and traits until the patches are close to hitting the client. We identify the flaws of several announced skill/ trait additions, but they are launched as they are and forgotten into uselessness. And then we know, before the patch is even out, that we’ll have to wait half a year before those issues are even addressed. And finally, the balance shaving might be so small, that it might very well take another half a year until said skills/ traits become useful, if/ when anet even remembers that they exist and be further updated.

You know something is wrong when other games can have bi-weekly patches with as much impact to the game and the meta as this game’s bi-yearly patches.

(edited by DiogoSilva.7089)

in PvP

Posted by: KStudios.2850

KStudios.2850

ya your right.
only took em 10 months or so right?

Ranger is still broken.

Rangers had their day back when the condi/bunker movement was just getting started. Everyone cried that they were too OP just because a handful of people actually got beaten by them in sPvP and WvW, then of course they in turn got nerfed thusly. Now they’re back to being jokes whom nobody takes seriously and cannot compete with warriors or mesmers yet again. We hardcore rangers are still keeping the faith, but the class would have died out due to starvation long ago had we not adapted to subsisting on a hearty diet of the dirt we’re constantly eating.

And don’t even get me started on the “Cele Eles,” or just “Celes” for short lol! Celestial gear in itself should be little more that “training wheels” for any given class, until the player gets a decent feel for what the class is all about.

Yumiko Togashii
Commander to [SLVR], Housepet to [GH]

in PvP

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

Ranger is still broken.

Using Rangers as an example, what are some of the things that its playerbase mostly wishes for? To see the concept behind their profession mechanic reshaped in some way or another. They want it to be adapted to pve’s environment and pve’s design philosophy, they want to have more effective control of the pets (especially important to make the ranger profession more skillful in pvp) or simply a more effective AI.

But is there hopes of any of that being addressed in today’s Ready Up? Based on anet’s patch history, probably not. We’ll probably get some tweaks to some existing skills and traits, in a minimal attempt to fix the profession’s core issues with small bandaids. In fact, most of anet’s balancing has been as minimal as possible when it comes to polishing big, core systems that need, in some or another, a rethought of its mechanics.

If we look at games like League of Legends, we occasionally get champions that have their entire skillset and passives revamped, on top of bi-weekly balance. When something doesn’t works, it gets iterated upon.

Are anet’s designers so incredibly busy to iterate on their own systems? Or do anet’s designers think it’s not worth it? Or do they think that we, the playerbase, is exaggerating? The same playerbase that was able to successfully predict many of GW2’s combat shortcomings before the game was even out? Players today are not as ignorant to game design considerations as they were a few years ago.

And finally, we have the silence. We don’t know why balance patches take this long. We don’t get to see new skills and traits until the patches are close to hitting the client. We identify the flaws of several announced skill/ trait additions, but they are launched as they are and forgotten into uselessness. And then we know, before the patch is even out, that we’ll have to wait half a year before those issues are even addressed. And finally, the balance shaving might be so small, that it might very well take another half a year until said skills/ traits become useful, if/ when anet even remembers that they exist and be further updated.

You know something is wrong when other games can have bi-weekly patches with as much impact to the game and the meta as this game’s bi-yearly patches.

To put it bluntly, anet just doesn’t really care all that much about PvP in GW2… it’s such a small % of the playerbase that even participates in it, so why bother? From anet’s point of view, it’s not logical to put effort and resources into improving the PvP landscape (including class balancing). Which is why we are seeing this every 6-8 month class balancing/PvP patch… It’s just not a priority for anet… their dedicated PvP team I probably less than 10 ppl (speculation, Idk for sure but judging by how much work we have seen put into PvP since release, its safe to assume the PvP team is very small)

in PvP

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

It’s just not a priority for anet… their dedicated PvP team I probably less than 10 ppl (speculation, Idk for sure but judging by how much work we have seen put into PvP since release, its safe to assume the PvP team is very small)

That’s 10 people more than WvW! Anet seem to have completely abandoned WvW, you in sPvP still get tournaments and red posts. WvW has not had a red post in ages.

The truth is thou, the Living Story gets like 90%+ of all game resources and Anet made that decision along time ago. PvP, WvW, dungeons are all in the same boat starved of resources, living in hope that the Living Story will ‘notice’ them once in a blue moon.

in PvP

Posted by: Ender.3847

Ender.3847

While we’re here; would it possible to give us an update on hobosacks for engineers?
this year old thread has a dev post that has not been updated for some time now.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/engineer/Hobo-Sacks-A-Terrible-Fashion-Statement/first

It’s such an eyesore to have my ascended backpiece that i worked so hard for to be covered whenever I’m using a kit (70~90% of the time) please give us the option to at least cover/ hide the kits as we would with gloves and shoulders. Or at least let us know if you guys have anything planned. thank you!

in PvP

Posted by: Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

I can only look forward, hope the Skill Bar segment gets loads of attention and is shown to management as proof that balance is one of the most desired features in an MMO.

Maybe they will get resources to make bi-monthly balance patches..

aaaand back to reality.

54 infractions and counting because a moderator doesn’t understand a joke when he/she sees it.
E.A.D.

in PvP

Posted by: Cam Ron.4170

Cam Ron.4170

Will thieves be getting nerfed again?

in PvP

Posted by: Hvaran.6327

Hvaran.6327

at 12:00pm PDT (18:00 UTC)

is not the same time btw

Handarand – Handacooon – Handa Panda – Handa Genie

in PvP

Posted by: Josh Davis.6015

Previous

Josh Davis.6015

Next

As a reminder, we’ll be going live at 12pm PDT (50 minutes from now). High-level: we’re announcing the all-stars rosters and previewing upcoming ranger/engineer balance changes.

in PvP

Posted by: manveruppd.7601

manveruppd.7601

Thanks for the reminder, I always get the time zones confused! :p

A bad necromancer always blames the corpse.

in PvP

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

I’m scared. Be gentle.

in PvP

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

The main difference between LoL and Guild Wars 2 is that in LoL, if a champion doesn’t work, you can easily switch to something else that works just as well.

In Guild Wars 2, even if there are alternatives to the top builds, you need to either grind a lot of new gear, or swap professions and grind even more to get back to top level.

With LoL, you can just switch champions. And don’t they have like, 5 skills each or something?

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in PvP

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

The main difference between LoL and Guild Wars 2 is that in LoL, if a champion doesn’t work, you can easily switch to something else that works just as well.

In Guild Wars 2, even if there are alternatives to the top builds, you need to either grind a lot of new gear, or swap professions and grind even more to get back to top level.

With LoL, you can just switch champions. And don’t they have like, 5 skills each or something?

You need to grind IP for new champions, but they only have 4 skills (and 1 passive), so they probably are easier to balance. Still, this game used to get bi-monthly balance updates on launch…

in PvP

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

Anyone still complaining after seeing that preview?

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

in PvP

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

Please someone post some notes about it. I missed it due to work.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in PvP

Posted by: Rome.3192

Rome.3192

Yes, they are over buffing rangers.

Thief

in PvP

Posted by: tichorum.2415

tichorum.2415

Yes, they are over buffing rangers.

You’re assuming things without seeing what ALL classes are getting.

Former PvP commentator for ESL & Arenanet.

I used to run the Academy Gaming tournaments for GW2.

in PvP

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in PvP

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

Well my feedback is very positive, having just watched the ready up.

Finally, some EXCITING balance changes, after watching skillbar, I really wanted to play my 80th lvl Ranger just to try them out and I do regularly play my 80th lvl Engineer but I am looking forward to trying the new stuff out.

The style of skillbar was excellent, its a much, much better format than rambling on for a hour+. Btw can we have multiple groups of golems to test our skills on?

No real negatives, however some skin collectors who don’t play in tournaments are going to whinge/moan big time about the ‘exclusive’ tournament only armour skins. I am assuming those skins will not be available by playing team/solo q, only by doing proper Anet sanctioned tournaments. Correct me if I am wrong on this…

in PvP

Posted by: Emapudapus.1307

Emapudapus.1307

Yay every patch we get some more lame things (not from balance standpoint but design), just to name from previous patches warriors, ai turrret engis, diamond skin ….. and now even more silly bazooka/uzi bow? Srsly?
And not to forget the posible power creep crawling up, again.

all is vain

in PvP

Posted by: Killthehealersffs.8940

Killthehealersffs.8940

And not to forget the posible power creep crawling up, again.

Atleast pro players 2 months from now on , wont need to ask them to buff up useless specs :P

in PvP

Posted by: Elxdark.9702

Elxdark.9702

power ranger inc meta.

in PvP

Posted by: Nova Stiker.8396

Nova Stiker.8396

I don’t mind the changes to either classes, I do wish Ranger Wolves get their CC reduced.

Still though, the problem with Rangers and Engineers still isn’t being addressed. Attention balance team: tweaking numbers so they can do more is not going to help this.

Rangers don’t lack damage, they lack BURST

Engineers were kings in the last meta for all the wrong reasons, now they are underpowered, for all the wrong reasons. They don’t have enough mechanics, they are too spam-happy, their skills reward spamming and their traits reward spamming.

At some point the balance team needs to step back and understand they need to build a new base for Guild Wars 2 combat design. Until that day comes, Guild Wars 2 will never reach e-sport status with just number tweaking.

(edited by Nova Stiker.8396)

in PvP

Posted by: biggs.4702

biggs.4702

Ranger is still broken.

To put it bluntly, anet just doesn’t really care all that much about PvP in GW2… it’s such a small % of the playerbase that even participates in it, so why bother? From anet’s point of view, it’s not logical to put effort and resources into improving the PvP landscape (including class balancing). Which is why we are seeing this every 6-8 month class balancing/PvP patch… It’s just not a priority for anet… their dedicated PvP team I probably less than 10 ppl (speculation, Idk for sure but judging by how much work we have seen put into PvP since release, its safe to assume the PvP team is very small)

You know when anyone says Anet doesn’t care about something it’s full of kitten. Actually, not even kitten, but full-grown adult cat.

The obstacle is the path.

in PvP

Posted by: Zuik.7158

Zuik.7158

Rangers don’t lack damage, they lack *BURST

liek necro lacks cond and warr needs more cc this gaem so unbalanced

Im going to assume youve never played signet berserker ranger.

(edited by Zuik.7158)

in PvP

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

I’m going to assume you haven’t, either. If you think 3-4k autos on a full berserker build which is oh so easily negated by sidestepping is burst, you probably have never been killed by anyone running a real burst build.

I broke this record yesterday on a necro, because the screenshot is of a guardian which as heavies take less damage. Neither were uplevels as usually those die on the 12-16k CnD damage alone when factoring in the ~8k mugs.

I’d also like to point out that a lich form necro does more damage in auto-attacking than my backstab. 20k auto-attacks versus 4k’s… hmm… something about burst or even sustained damage? I’m sorry, rangers in their current state have neither.

Attachments:

(edited by DeceiverX.8361)

in PvP

Posted by: Zuik.7158

Zuik.7158

I’m going to assume you haven’t, either. If you think 3-4k autos on a full berserker build which is oh so easily negated by sidestepping is burst, you probably have never been killed by anyone running a real burst build.

I broke this record yesterday on a necro, because the screenshot is of a guardian which as heavies take less damage. Neither were uplevels as usually those die on the 12-16k CnD damage alone when factoring in the ~8k mugs.

I’d also like to point out that a lich form necro does more damage in auto-attacking than my backstab. 20k auto-attacks versus 4k’s… hmm… something about burst or even sustained damage? I’m sorry, rangers in their current state have neither.

Unfortunately I cannot respond with pictures of record number crits in WvW but tbh looking at your numbers in relation to a viable spvp thief zerker output that doesnt matter.

This is posted within the sPvP forums for an obvious reason. Most of the balance changes are aimed towards this and not the completely unbalanced other areas. When comparing viable or soon to be viable builds, signet ranger has a large burst potential.

in PvP

Posted by: Nova Stiker.8396

Nova Stiker.8396

Unfortunately I cannot respond with pictures of record number crits in WvW but tbh looking at your numbers in relation to a viable spvp thief zerker output that doesnt matter.

This is posted within the sPvP forums for an obvious reason. Most of the balance changes are aimed towards this and not the completely unbalanced other areas. When comparing viable or soon to be viable builds, signet ranger has a large burst potential.

I’ve fought plenty of zerker longbows with my ele, no matter the rank, it all ends the same. They get stomped. They have no burst.

They have good sustain but the problem is they must sacrifice so much offensive utilities where other classes can go full damage and yet carry defensive utilities.

That is the reason why they cannot sustain compared to other classes. As for bursting? None, 0, ziltch. I’ll rethink rangers might having some burst when a zerker ranger beats me. So far, that day has never came.

in PvP

Posted by: Dave Pare.2069

Dave Pare.2069

I’ve fought plenty of zerker longbows with my ele, no matter the rank, it all ends the same. They get stomped. They have no burst.

They have good sustain but the problem is they must sacrifice so much offensive utilities where other classes can go full damage and yet carry defensive utilities.

That is the reason why they cannot sustain compared to other classes. As for bursting? None, 0, ziltch. I’ll rethink rangers might having some burst when a zerker ranger beats me. So far, that day has never came.

The problem with the longbow ranger has always been the cast time of skills (especially rapid fire which is 5sec currently). With the new patch you’ll have the potential to throw your entire rapid fire in 1-1,5 sec (assuming you trait the right things and maybe you use quickness as well). Now being hit by a Ranger zerker rapid fire in pvp deals between 6-9 K damage (depending on the armour rate of your opponent) or even more against a glass cannon builded character like thieves for example. having a 9k damage potential in just 1 sec is a hell of a “burst” if you think that you can throw that from a 1500 range. In conclusion you’re right when you say rangers have no burst potential right now but if the upcoming patch will go the way it’s planned this is gonna change entirely!

(i’ll throw in the link of the upcoming patch note for ranger as well)

http://dulfy.net/2014/07/25/gw2-upcoming-changes-to-engineer-and-ranger/

in PvP

DeceiverX.8361

Absolutely the case. Thus why I also mentioned the phrase “current state,” as the RF burst potential has been on my mind constantly since the anouncement. This will push aggressive builds in the right direction and will yield burst damage comparable to most other classes. One also has to remember that in a reduced channel comes in fact some more risk; one dodge can now pretty much negate an entire ranger’s combo if QZ is applied, which I have a feeling many will do.

The sustained damage model really doesn’t work in PvP scenarios, so this upcoming change to RF will give longbow rangers enough punch to take down some more sustained tanking/mitigation characters and really capitalize on short CC windows from pets and PBS.

in PvP

Posted by: Dave Pare.2069

Dave Pare.2069

Absolutely the case. Thus why I also mentioned the phrase “current state,” as the RF burst potential has been on my mind constantly since the anouncement. This will push aggressive builds in the right direction and will yield burst damage comparable to most other classes. One also has to remember that in a reduced channel comes in fact some more risk; one dodge can now pretty much negate an entire ranger’s combo if QZ is applied, which I have a feeling many will do.

The sustained damage model really doesn’t work in PvP scenarios, so this upcoming change to RF will give longbow rangers enough punch to take down some more sustained tanking/mitigation characters and really capitalize on short CC windows from pets and PBS.

I’m not very concerned about the possibility that your opponent will dodge your entire RF: it will work just like other burst skills, for ex wrrior’s eviscerate, it is all about using the skill at the right time. The difference will be that you will be able to burst from a 1500 range, without counting the fact that ranger has a lot of cc to help you land your RF. Think for example at a LB/GS build: only with the weapons you have a stun/daze and a knockback on GS and another knockback on LB; all this without counting that you have pets like the Krytan Drakehound that has 1 immobilize and a knockdown or jungle spider with 2 immobilize or skills like Muddy terrain which is another immobilize or even Entangle (now with the CD reduced)! The opportunities to land your entire RF are there and there are a lot of them (remember that with the new stuff from the patch RF will have the potential to be a 1and1/2 sec cast time skill).

in PvP

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

Is there any more info on these Gamescon armor sets?

http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/gw2-pvp-tournament-armor-set-2.jpg

That appears to be a medium set that looks like Heavy WVW armor…

I

Want

That

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

in PvP

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

1. Dodge obvious Maul attempt telegraphed by the ranger growing in height.
2. Effortlessly burn them down while they whack you with the wet noodle known as ranger GS auto attack
3. Rinse
4. Repeat…

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

in PvP

Posted by: Zirith.6429

Zirith.6429

1. Dodge obvious Maul attempt telegraphed by the ranger growing in height.
2. Effortlessly burn them down while they whack you with the wet noodle known as ranger GS auto attack
3. Rinse
4. Repeat…

be me
be level 3 gs ranger in wvw
see red
attack red
click number 2 skill “maul”
the red appears to be a master of combat as he dodges my well timed maul strike
continue auto attacking waiting for maul to come off cooldown
command pet bear to do bear things
bear stares at me
thx bear
notice my ultimate maul attack is ready for use
slowly move mouse to the maul icon
get rolled by zerg
mighty red opponent dances on my corpse and posts about his great victory on the forums
mfw :/

in PvP

DeceiverX.8361

I’m not very concerned about the possibility that your opponent will dodge your entire RF: it will work just like other burst skills, for ex wrrior’s eviscerate, it is all about using the skill at the right time. The difference will be that you will be able to burst from a 1500 range, without counting the fact that ranger has a lot of cc to help you land your RF. Think for example at a LB/GS build: only with the weapons you have a stun/daze and a knockback on GS and another knockback on LB; all this without counting that you have pets like the Krytan Drakehound that has 1 immobilize and a knockdown or jungle spider with 2 immobilize or skills like Muddy terrain which is another immobilize or even Entangle (now with the CD reduced)! The opportunities to land your entire RF are there and there are a lot of them (remember that with the new stuff from the patch RF will have the potential to be a 1and1/2 sec cast time skill).

There are a lot of counters to this, though. You’re looking at maybe having three different conditions on you maximum at a given time, depending on the pet. Every class should be using some kind of condition purge. Just by looking at the classes, here’s what we can assume:

Warrior: 1650 range gap closing on GS alone, 900 more on bull rush, immunity to immobilize through all three when traited, immunity to conditions, trait immunity to conditions, multiple methods of stability access, and damage immunity through traiting and utilities, projectile reflection.

Thief: Access to over 3000 range teleports which ignore CC effects and immobilize, Teleports, blinds, reflection + returned cripple + stability, projectile immunity, stealth + dodge roll = untargetable and very little damage taken if any, extreme burst and hard CC effects.

Mesmer: Stealth + dodge roll, clone bodyblocking, teleports, incredibly potent reflection, interrupts, blinds, and confusion affecting all procs of RF.

Engineer: Elixir S, endurance regen, equally powerful equally-ranged attacks, heavy longrange condition application, stunbreaks, mobility effect recovery, gap closing, turret bodyblocking, short cooldown projectile reflection.

Necromancer: Death Shroud (facetanking the damage), condition sending, gap closing/teleports, chain CC, mobility hindering effects, better DPS on lich form.

Guardian: Stability, extreme condition cleansing, heavy mitigation, teleport, leaps and gap closing, strong healing, reflection, deflection, ignore physical damage, heavy CC.

Ele: Instant godmode traits (Stone Heart), incredible healing and sustain, high mitigation, extreme burst damage, incredible gap closing, mist form/immunities, heavy condition application, heavy condition removal, teleports, CC, stability.

And I mean if a ranger is blowing three utilties to try and burst you, and it can all be negated by a dodge roll, how is it unfair? I play a thief which over the course of tree attacks within a one second time frame while invisible and hard CC’ing the target for the entire duration deals sometimes and upwards of 40 thousand damage to other players, and can do this starting from 2100 range. I really don’t think you need to be worried about ranger’s new “burst” when so many other classes have equal or better access to it, especially since it’s going to be pretty obvious and the majority of it can be evaded in one stunbreak and dodge, a good CC, some well-timed negation, or simply, a tankier build. I beat other backstab thieves and power necros, DPS eles, etc. frequently on my thief despite having no stealth on my utlities, no blind application, no utilities when I enter a fight, low initiative, and low health and extremely low defenses. I can assure you good timing on stunbreaks or just dodges in general can literally change a matchup. I’m actually expecting this new RF to make my personal matchup easier against power rangers when playing my thief, for one evade will ruin their whole burst, and two evades will render their entire weaponset and utilities worthless.

There are so many easy ways to counter long-ranged play. These don’t usually come in the form of just crunching numbers or trying to out-tank them. In most games, beating a skilled ranged player requires skilled thinking and counterplay just as the ranger must do to overcome the normality of what is usually inherently lower stats.

RF will soon have more counterplay options than it does now, be it through dodges and abilities. As such, rangers finally got their burst damage which has been one of the defining reasons they have performed so poorly (as power builds) for so long, for in all honesty, this entire game is about burst damage when it comes down to it.

(edited by DeceiverX.8361)

in PvP

Posted by: Volrath.1473

Volrath.1473

Is the next Ready Up tomorrow?

in PvP

Posted by: OlrunTheBlade.1486

OlrunTheBlade.1486

Ready Ups are every two weeks now, IIRC.

Captain of Never Lucky [NL]
Competitive Warrior, Ele, Mesmer, Ranger, Engineer, Thief

in PvP

Posted by: Volrath.1473

Volrath.1473

aw… tks

fifteen characters