Shameful PvP in gw2

Shameful PvP in gw2

in PvP

Posted by: SkylightMoon.1980

SkylightMoon.1980

Its hard to believe that we have only 1 game mode after this long in the games history. Its also shameful that the only game mode we have doesn’t even incentivize you to fight the enemy, but just cap points. How is this possible? What are the devs thinking when designing this? There has been an enormous backlash towards the way PvP has been handled in gw2 and yet all Jon Peters does is tell everyone gw2 will soon be an esport.

Shameful PvP in gw2

in PvP

Posted by: Flash.6912

Flash.6912

we all want new pvp modes like Arena, Capture The Flag, King of the Hills etc…

R.I.P Kumu <3

Shameful PvP in gw2

in PvP

SkylightMoon.1980

Why isn’t skill in PvP actually determined by whether or not you can kill your foe? Its all about points. Same problem in WvW. This entire game is balanced around points, not the actual ability to kill your opponent. Thats pathetic.

Shameful PvP in gw2

in PvP

Posted by: Leeto.1570

Leeto.1570

lol not everyone wants new broken game modes, some of us just want incentive to play conquest, like seasons for example.
and the thing is that killing people takes no skill in this game, i can kill people by spamming one button but that wont make me succeed in conquest

Shameful PvP in gw2

in PvP

SkylightMoon.1980

lol not everyone wants new broken game modes, some of us just want incentive to play conquest, like seasons for example.
and the thing is that killing people takes no skill in this game, i can kill people by spamming one button but that wont make me succeed in conquest

where did you get broken game modes from? The whole point im making is that its terribly embarassing to see a mode called sPvP not incentive people to fight other people. At least not the first priority.

Shameful PvP in gw2

in PvP

Leeto.1570

where did you get broken game modes from? The whole point im making is that its terribly embarassing to see a mode called sPvP not incentive people to fight other people. At least not the first priority.

Because if you ever take time to look at very basic class/mechanic design you will understand that deathmatch or capture the flag would be broken.
try killing whole enemy team at start of match and then farm them on respawn, i guarantee you that will give you nice advantage in this “just sit on points” mode.

Shameful PvP in gw2

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Why isn’t skill in PvP actually determined by whether or not you can kill your foe? Its all about points. Same problem in WvW. This entire game is balanced around points, not the actual ability to kill your opponent. Thats pathetic.

actually conquest mode is about killing your opponents on or near capture points, if you fight and kill them on or near capture points, they will not be able to capture the capture points, while your team score keeps on increasing due to holding the capture points successfully.

so are you saying that you are unable to kill your opponents while fight on or near capture points? but somehow, if there are no capture points, you would be able to kill your opponents? why is that?

Shameful PvP in gw2

in PvP

SkylightMoon.1980

Because if you ever take time to look at very basic class/mechanic design you will understand that deathmatch or capture the flag would be broken.
try killing whole enemy team at start of match and then farm them on respawn, i guarantee you that will give you nice advantage in this “just sit on points” mode.

Thats not what I said. Team deathmatch isn’t what I asked for. And also thats not necessarily true, the devs have just spent so much time balancing the game around conquest lel. What we need is an arena style mode and tourney system where you que your team up, enter, and its one life only.

Conquest is full of a lot of bunkers and basically avoiding the enemy and capping points to win. The top sPvPers arn’t necessarily the most talented duelers, oh wait there isn’t dueling in this game, HA.

Shameful PvP in gw2

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Thats not what I said. Team deathmatch isn’t what I asked for. … arena style mode and tourney system where you que your team up, enter, and its one life only.

that is called annihilation, not death match.

Shameful PvP in gw2

in PvP

Leeto.1570

Thats not what I said. Team deathmatch isn’t what I asked for. And also thats not necessarily true, the devs have just spent so much time balancing the game around conquest lel. What we need is an arena style mode and tourney system where you que your team up, enter, and its one life only.

Conquest is full of a lot of bunkers and basically avoiding the enemy and capping points to win. The top sPvPers arn’t necessarily the most talented duelers, oh wait there isn’t dueling in this game, HA.

No they havent put too much time into balancing around conquest because they created the whole game around idea what PVP will be conquest.
Every class has something OP they can do but conquest keeps it balanced.
If that bunker wouldnt need to sit on point but could run around to survive, or thief wouldnt have to take mobility to move across map, or necros wouldnt have to worry how to survive in long term now thats when stuff would really be imbalanced.

Shameful PvP in gw2

in PvP

Posted by: Samu.6325

Samu.6325

Where’s the GvG? is this game called guild wars or what? i thought this game was competitive like the old one but maybe i’m wrong

Shameful PvP in gw2

in PvP

Posted by: Nazer.7301

Nazer.7301

Some new game modes would be nice, broken or not.

Shameful PvP in gw2

in PvP

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

for me the worst thing is that the game mechanics and combat system are THE BEST of any mmo out there at the moment,
so no matter how much time and commitment other games devs put in to their pvp it’ll just feel clunky and outdated.
its the kobayashi maru… an unwinnable scenario…
on one hand you have the worst pvp experience of any MMO but with unparalleled gameplay mechanics.
and on the other hand you have game devs who actually care about pvp and aim to give you a great experience but the game mechanics feel clunky and outdated.
new hashtag: #TheGW2Trap

(edited by Liewec.2896)

Shameful PvP in gw2

in PvP

Posted by: wads.5730

wads.5730

here is how you fix pvp:

1. make pvp free to play. release a special f2p client that lets anyone make a gw2 account but only give them access to the mists. let them keep all the rewards they would get, and encourage them to buy the game if they want to spend it.

2. stop emphasizing conquest mode, JUST STOP. it is SO restrictive on how team comps and meta’s develop. release new game modes, or better yet come up with an original game mode that compliment the fantastic combat system and pacing of the action.

3. this ties into point 2, but stop balancing skills around conquest. decap engi and bunker guards, hambows, etc, are only an issue because you have to stand on a circle. it is SO restrictive in so many different ways design wise and gameplay wise.

spvp as a whole is just such a joke right now, it’s mind boggling that we basically have the exact same thing as we did on the release of this game over 2 years ago, the only difference now is less people play it. i just can’t imagine how devs can look at the state of spvp and be ok with it.

Shameful PvP in gw2

in PvP

Posted by: Vatt.4695

Vatt.4695

I want L2 hero system.

Shameful PvP in gw2

in PvP

Posted by: Roe.3679

Roe.3679

Is king of the hill different from conquest mode? And capture the flag is cool but that’s essentially spirit watch, where some classes are way better off than others.

Arena is really the next best option I think. After that the options need to be more creative as far as game modes go.

Shameful PvP in gw2

in PvP

Posted by: Pyriall.5027

Pyriall.5027

Deathmatch on maps such as courtyard can easily support 3 v 3 up to 5 v 5. It’s actually one of the few things they did semi-decently.

Shameful PvP in gw2

in PvP

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

Its hard to believe that we have only 1 game mode after this long in the games history. Its also shameful that the only game mode we have doesn’t even incentivize you to fight the enemy, but just cap points. How is this possible? What are the devs thinking when designing this? There has been an enormous backlash towards the way PvP has been handled in gw2 and yet all Jon Peters does is tell everyone gw2 will soon be an esport.

Aw yeah, I was just chatting with JP last week and he was telling me GW2 was going to be an esport…

Just kidding. Can we stop claiming the devs talk about esports? Because they don’t. JP was interviewed several times in 2012 and mentioned that as the team had designed PvP, they had looked at aspects of different esports such as LoL.

I honestly don’t understand why the forums are so obsessed with esports.

Shameful PvP in gw2

in PvP

Posted by: Thedenofsin.7340

Thedenofsin.7340

we all want new pvp modes like Arena, Capture The Flag, King of the Hills etc…

Why? Do you want to have more game modes where the gameplay is horribly broken, imbalanced, full of bugs and poorly maintained?

Oooo! Give me more of that!

Shameful PvP in gw2

in PvP

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Agree with OP

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Shameful PvP in gw2

in PvP

Posted by: Darnis.4056

Darnis.4056

I don’t understand how PVErs misconstrue “Concentrating and Forcing fights in areas of a map” as “Fighting over points more important then killing players”.

Not every game mode has to be about a rotating champ farm like wvwvw, where you zerg down players all day…

Will the Real Pink Puma Please stand up?

Shameful PvP in gw2

in PvP

Posted by: Demonoid.1974

Demonoid.1974

You’re awarded personal and team points and can nearly win entire games for just killing enemies and capturing alternate objectives in tpvp. That is of course after killing the enemies (an objective within itself) you decide to take the few seconds to capture or at least neutralize the nearby point. I’d honestly have to say point neutralization/capture and rotations are only half the battle. Yeah, one game mode in over a year for PvP’ers sucks and can be a solid way to lose certain players and is somewhat shameful. The reason I comment is to let people know it’s misinforming and also shameful the way he generalizes our current tournament mode. There’s a lot more to it than the common “cap cap cap” mentality. That is, if you’re actually willing to go in depth and learn all of the components of s/tpvp. Cheers!

http://www.twitch.tv/demonold/profile
-complain less, train harder-

Shameful PvP in gw2

in PvP

NevirSayDie.6235

I don’t understand how PVErs misconstrue “Concentrating and Forcing fights in areas of a map” as “Fighting over points more important then killing players”.

Not every game mode has to be about a rotating champ farm like wvwvw, where you zerg down players all day…

Completely agree. As far as I can tell, conquest is the best thing to happen to GW2 combat. It encourages mobility but still punishes running away. It allows for large teamfights, 1v1s, 1v2s, and 2v2s all in a single match. It encourages team splits and strategy instead of just balling up. All that, and it’s still pretty simple and easy for anyone to understand.

Shameful PvP in gw2

in PvP

Posted by: Rentapest.6503

Rentapest.6503

Can we also stop bunkers/hambow/necros from camping a single capture point with their over-sized AOE circles and insane survivability.

Also, why are teams not auto-balanced when players leave? I’m fed up of fighting 3 v 5 because 2 idiots decide to abandon the battle?

Shameful PvP in gw2

in PvP

Posted by: SaintSnow.6593

SaintSnow.6593

It’s also shameful that the only game mode we have doesn’t even incentivize you to fight the enemy, but just cap points.

Wow Skylight, you’re on a serious “conquest” in the forums tonight.
Aha I joke!
Seriously though, keep your wvw and points don’t matter bullkitten out of spvp. You want to post that kind of stuff in the WvW forum like:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/wuv/wuv/PPT-is-a-joke-WvW-is-about-fights/first
then keep it there. We don’t need that stuff in the spvp section. Points do matter.
Thanks.

Säïnt

Shameful PvP in gw2

in PvP

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I find points useful only as a general way of seeing if a player was active in a match. It doesn’t tell me how skilled a player actually is; a bunker character who spent the entire match keeping 3/5 of the enemy team bogged down near their home point was an incredibly valuable asset, even if their final score was only 30 because the rest of us finally got bored guarding the other two points and came over to help when we were at 450 points to 50.

Shameful PvP in gw2

in PvP

Posted by: rainbowstylin.1358

rainbowstylin.1358

I find points useful only as a general way of seeing if a player was active in a match. It doesn’t tell me how skilled a player actually is; a bunker character who spent the entire match keeping 3/5 of the enemy team bogged down near their home point was an incredibly valuable asset, even if their final score was only 30 because the rest of us finally got bored guarding the other two points and came over to help when we were at 450 points to 50.

I think this point gets overlooked by alot of players, as often distracting the enemies, but not necessarily accomplishing anything worthy of points, is also why there should be battle stats either after or during a match.

Things that should be in the stats:

- Damage done
- Damage taken
- Total time spent within capture nodes (whether capped or not)

Optionals:

- Healing done
- Healing recieved
- Any other stat players/devs deem relevant

Edit:

As a side note, the current points system incentivizes player roaming away from an already capped node, and not defending in anticipation of an attack. This is not necessarily a bad thing, it just means the point system as a whole does not convey a players actual worth.

(edited by rainbowstylin.1358)

Shameful PvP in gw2

in PvP

Posted by: SaintSnow.6593

SaintSnow.6593

I don’t believe we are addressing personal score here but more the fact about going for nodes and playing for points instead of mindlessly running around fighting each other. Yes fighting players is a major aspect but it’s fighting to protect your points as well as pushing defenses to gain points. Personal score doesn’t matter, yea a bunker could have 5 points to their name but if they held the mid steady and neutral until your team wins the fight or secures home point for steady ppt’s then they have done their job and helped the team significantly.

Säïnt

Shameful PvP in gw2

in PvP

Posted by: sMihaly.1492

sMihaly.1492

Couldn’t say it better.

Shameful PvP in gw2

in PvP

Posted by: Silvia.9130

Silvia.9130

What I find the most ridiculous and shameful about PvP is that any player, the worst of worst of every team ever existed, can easily swap to the winning team and get a victory bonus for basically sucking and playing unfair.

>>Lady Carlie Castle<
>>=<

Shameful PvP in gw2

in PvP

Posted by: FearedbytheGods.8617

FearedbytheGods.8617

I saw someone link you a post once where JP had stated that they sat around at lunch discussing how GW2 could become an e-sport. You then made some silly crack about how it was off topic and were going to ask the thread be closed….

If your going to stick your head in the sand you’ll never understand this ‘obsession’, as you like to call it.

The truth is the community talks about because they said it.

Shameful PvP in gw2

in PvP

NevirSayDie.6235

I saw someone link you a post once where JP had stated that they sat around at lunch discussing how GW2 could become an e-sport. You then made some silly crack about how it was off topic and were going to ask the thread be closed….

If your going to stick your head in the sand you’ll never understand this ‘obsession’, as you like to call it.

The truth is the community talks about because they said it.

I’m a human being with limitations and faults. Sometimes, I’m wrong about stuff. If someone linked me a quote that opposes what I’ve stated, and I failed to see it or remember it, I’m sorry.

But this is getting ridiculous. You’re saying that you saw something in which someone said that something I said about something JP said was incorrect?

I remember having a similar forum conversation maybe six months ago, and someone linked me to some pre-launch interviews where JP talked about how excited they were for launch. I don’t remember asking for that thread to be closed, but it’s possible—I have suggested I believe two different threads be closed in the last couple years. It’s even possible that JP mentioned lunch in one of the articles. He did use the word “esports” a few times, mostly talking about the games they had observed to draw inspiration from for their PvP systems.

I did a quick Google search just now and found an interview with Colin about PvP from last year. He does talk about how he thinks there’s an open space in the esports world for MMOs (i.e. there are no MMO’s that are esports). He says he’s hoping that GW2 becomes the “number one PvP game in MMOs.” He says that at launch, they didn’t “have the things in place required to make PvP really successful,” and that they’re slowly working to improve it.

I just don’t understand the forum (over)reaction about esports, is all.

Shameful PvP in gw2

in PvP

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Anet can’t even balance this game with one game mode. There is zero chance they’d be able to balance multiple ones.