Stop it with the toxic attidude to newcomers

in PvP

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

I think, It rly depends.
Of course, being impolite to new players isn’t good thing, however, new players also have to realize some things.

First of all, if you are new, it might not be a good idea to directly jump into competitive game modes like teamQ.

In addition, you should use your common sense.
Even if it’s pvp, the game mode is called “Conquest”. So capturing points might actually be usefull. That multiple players of one team on a node, without eny enmies might not be the best for the team is also common sense.

PvE players are jumping into teamQ because the devs are herding them there. The fastest way to progress your reward track is through ranked matches an in particular, teamQ. The reason the PvE players are in sPvP at all is to get their hands on some loot. This is what happens when you use rewards as the incentive to do content rather than fun. It’s even worse now that there is at least one unique sPvP skin that PvE players are working hard to acquire. You have players playing content they don’t really want to play because the reward is something hey want to obtain. If there is a faster/easier method to obtain it, they will do so regardless of the consequences, that’s why you see PvE players messing up teamQ games without any care about winning or getting better – they know they are going to progress towards their goal regardless of what they do.

in PvP

Posted by: bhagwad.4281

bhagwad.4281

I think, It rly depends.
Of course, being impolite to new players isn’t good thing, however, new players also have to realize some things.

First of all, if you are new, it might not be a good idea to directly jump into competitive game modes like teamQ.

In addition, you should use your common sense.
Even if it’s pvp, the game mode is called “Conquest”. So capturing points might actually be usefull. That multiple players of one team on a node, without eny enmies might not be the best for the team is also common sense.

PvE players are jumping into teamQ because the devs are herding them there. The fastest way to progress your reward track is through ranked matches an in particular, teamQ. The reason the PvE players are in sPvP at all is to get their hands on some loot. This is what happens when you use rewards as the incentive to do content rather than fun. It’s even worse now that there is at least one unique sPvP skin that PvE players are working hard to acquire. You have players playing content they don’t really want to play because the reward is something hey want to obtain. If there is a faster/easier method to obtain it, they will do so regardless of the consequences, that’s why you see PvE players messing up teamQ games without any care about winning or getting better – they know they are going to progress towards their goal regardless of what they do.

Nothing wrong with using rewards as a motivator. I’ve been PvP’ing forever and without the “rewards” like rank progression etc I wouldn’t have played. If anything, I think they need to increase the PvP rewards to match time spent in PvE.

For pure “fun” or for rewards, everyone tries to win. There’s no difference in behavior since you get much more rewards if you win than if you lose.

in PvP

Posted by: Dany Little Star.2837

Dany Little Star.2837

The real big problem is that we don’t have a Gold, Silver and Bronze division. If ladder have a better season system, maybe based on rank and number of tournament match played, all this “F**K OFF NOOBS” thread disappear.

I have played about 700+ tourney match…why I have to play with people that have something like 30 match played? Why I have to play with people that have played 3000+ tourney match?

A good ladder system will separate players based on their time spent in sPvP and of course base on their result (If you have played 500+ tourney but have lost the 70% of that, you are bad so you will go in the Bronze Division).

The starting point of every player also is the lower division. ATM the starting MMR value is too much high so the newbie will be grouped with veterans.

in PvP

Posted by: ITheNormalPerson.9275

ITheNormalPerson.9275

I think the problem isn’t so much directed at any specific set of people, but moreso a lot of just people in general have a harsh temper.

Most of the things people complain about, takes skill to learn, or you wouldn’t know unless you do extensive research (which you shouldn’t have to. If i “HAVE” to go anywhere other than the game to learn something, then I don’t think i should be blamed for not knowing it)

Yet I would bet it goes the other way around, with people simply refusing to learn or take advice

the only way to mitigate it is to simply remove the players from eachother, or the players could y’know, not pointlessly rage over the internet about a video game?

Funnily on patch day I saw a newbie and a “veteran” arguing, presumably the veteran was upset at the newbie because they lost just beforehand, and the veteran LITERALLY said “learn to pvp before you join pvp”

P.S. this is coming from someone with only 70 games, sooo… meh.

P.P.S. I didn’t realize tournament matches were supposed to be for the “serious” people, until I read this thread…

P.P.P.S In WvW, you cap stuff faster the more people you have on it. So don’t hate someone for not realizing that it doesn’t apply to pvp (I sure didn’t know)

Druid main, 80 on all, Legendary ranked, Eternal and all that jazz (I go by Feyris in game)

in PvP

Posted by: Maverick Holix.1382

Maverick Holix.1382

Well you know what OP… go back to pve!!!!!noob

twitch.tv/maverick_holix

in PvP

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

^This guy… I like him. Lol

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in PvP

Posted by: Rezz.8019

Rezz.8019

Always help the new players no matter how annoying they might be some times. It is very likely that some of them will be a lot better than you in few months.

PvP needs all those players. If they don’t stick around then we will have nothing, no proper ladder, competition, or anything. So everyone should do their best to keep them in PvP and help them!

in PvP

Posted by: Nutshel.7264

Nutshel.7264

The reason why this “toxicity” happens is because MMR is non existent and whole system is flawed.
Everybody should play hotjoins till they get hang of games objectives and pvp fights in general. What happens though is people with no clue, often refusing to listen to advice jump into solo queue and with this broken MMR get put with the these that play for win and not some silly pve rewards and actually committed time before to learn the game.

in PvP

Posted by: redslion.9675

redslion.9675

I really don’t care if somebody sucks because they can get better, but why the hell would you play your first few matches in tourney pvp and not hot join….

2) That hotjoin teaches someone how to play tourneys correctly. Hot join is a mindless zerg match with no teaching involved. The players learn the maps sure, but they still don’t realize that four capping one point doesn’t make it cap faster, they don’t realize that going far at first is a bad idea. The point system makes them feel like capping the most points makes them the best player, and that defending the point gets you nothing. Hotjoin actually enforces bad habbits not good ones.

It shoul teach you at least what you can or cannot do.

Example: if you can’t kill npcs in Forest of Niflhelm, you shouldn’t try it in a tournament. Because a missing teammate who failed at what he was trying to do is something that must be avoided as much as possible.

It’s not nice when you see your teamates going to svanir only to get downed/killed and wasting a lot of time, while the rest of the team is outnumbered/slaughtered.

You will never be able to know what an engineer is going to do next…

because he doesn’t know it himself

in PvP

Posted by: azuzephyr.7280

azuzephyr.7280

I decided to try that whole ‘mentor role’ BS, needless to say even if you talk about which points to go for/not to leave points open etc, it still happens, people very rarely respond.

Do the devs think it would be acceptable for me to force myself into a high level fractal group where people can’t remove me and deliberately ignore the tactics and kitten up the dungeon? Because that’s what’s happening in pvp since the patch.

I know the old que wasn’t great but fml I’d have it back right now, pvp is a headache

in PvP

Posted by: egan.2751

egan.2751

how can you keep being nice to them if they keep ruining your pvp experience, after 6 looses in a row due pve heroes fighiting off point or rush far to die 6 time in whole game.
i was a noob once but then again i kept playing hotjoin. i knew my place these new placers don’t know ware they belong. thinking its just fight fight fight. pvp is more then that but try to explain that…

80 ele/80 mes/80 guar/80 war/80 sin/80 ranger,22 necro
piken square

in PvP

Posted by: Intellidonkey.5410

Intellidonkey.5410

PvE’ers should git gud and learn how to play the game before coming into tPvP. Play HotJoin.

Engineers – Dagny (In The Lab) Kristopherson, Rektor Skillshot
Ten Percent [Rekt] – GET REKT
This is the only profession I play.

in PvP

Posted by: Chilli.2976

Chilli.2976

PvE’ers should git gud and learn how to play the game before coming into tPvP. Play HotJoin.

+1 lol

in PvP

Posted by: holodoc.5748

holodoc.5748

There is another problem with newcomers and tPvP. Most of them simply leave ranked matches once they get killed a couple of times. My last couple of ranked matches ended up with 3 vs 4 or 5 vs 3, sometimes in our favor sometimes in favor of the opponents.

Dishonorable doesn’t mean that much to them because most of the new folks probably don’t know it even exists.

Remind me please once again what was so bad about the sPvP tournament ticket system that it had to be removed?

in PvP

Posted by: Rezz.8019

Rezz.8019

I started PvPing by doing 3-round free tournaments. I never ever did hotjoin until I had like 500 tournament games played and then it would only be couple quick matches to test some weird builds out.

I think it is way better to start out with the tourneys (now arenas), it teaches you how to play properly. Honestly, hot join teaches you absolutely nothing. All you can do there is learn maps. I know that it might be annoying to have a newbie in your team, but you have to keep in mind that in few months some of them will be better than you.

in PvP

Posted by: Chilli.2976

Chilli.2976

We can be as toxic as we like, don’t get all upset about it.

in PvP

Posted by: Warmage Timeraider.5861

Warmage Timeraider.5861

teach as you have been taught. in my case i learned most by going through mud and rocks trown by more experienced people…. if other people want to have their hand held all the way, sure. But i still think the way with the most struggle makes the best players with the most dedication.

Timeraider- 80 Norn Elementalist – 80 Norn Engineer
epic-timeraider.weebly.com

in PvP

Posted by: Seifer Thalaen.7869

Seifer Thalaen.7869

Soooo you suck but you don’t want ppl to tell you how much you actually suck….seems legit. Personally i use this second account just to troll pve heroes and make them ragequit..because you know, already r80, already have been top ladder, already been in esl…nothing to do so yeah…having fun being toxic, they ruined pvp and trashed my 3kk rank points and my 3k hours in pvp…now it’s time to go full trollmode…report me, i don’t give a single kitten…already have 3 accounts xD After 15 i just stopped being a kind player helping others, now my only goal is to make pvp a nighmare for new players….wanna blame someone? Blame anet…they made us being toxic, they made us hating pve heroes getting rewards with no effort, you did it now here’s your payback

(edited by Seifer Thalaen.7869)

in PvP

Posted by: Akeif.7491

Akeif.7491

So you played 500 hotjoin games, still dont understand how to play conquest and dont like that you get insulted for it? Well PVP is not for you then.
You dont care about actually playing good and just want dem PVE rewards and hope other will carry you?
You think people were learning to play the game for last year just so they can teach PVErs now? No i actually just want fun games.
When i started the game i at first played hotjoin till i knew everything about class and basics of PVP in this game then i did research on teamque, soloque and only then i did my first tpvp games… Why? Cause i did not want to kitten off people by making them loose.

I’m not making them loose. I’m not a pro tourny player but I know what’s going on. And, yes I go angry but trying to figure out what’s going on. Now I get it. Read this : https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/to-many-noobs-in-tourneys/first#post3936635

I’m starting to work on solutions on this problem right this week.

And yes ANet can do something but we can also. And it’s going to happen. We can fix this and lets do this!

in PvP

Akeif.7491

I decided to try that whole ‘mentor role’ BS, needless to say even if you talk about which points to go for/not to leave points open etc, it still happens, people very rarely respond.

Do the devs think it would be acceptable for me to force myself into a high level fractal group where people can’t remove me and deliberately ignore the tactics and kitten up the dungeon? Because that’s what’s happening in pvp since the patch.

I know the old que wasn’t great but fml I’d have it back right now, pvp is a headache

Your fractal example is quite dazzling. They would react the same. It’s true. There’s various levels of problems.

1. Mentoring in matches doesn’t work. It just make people angry. I made me furious mad to see how the PvP community I respect, acted like trolls.

2. There’s no good resources available to players. I’ll start putting up stuff where we can work on that.

3. There’s no entry cap into solo queue and team queue. And it’s true that might cause some problems.

I’m sure we can figure out something to make it better. And I got an idea I’ll try : Putting up a blog post with a good list of resources we can easily share to everybody.

I’ll put some time on it this week instead of running matches and share it around

Thanks for all the replies everybody. It really helped me understand what was really going on.

in PvP

Akeif.7491

Soooo you suck but you don’t want ppl to tell you how much you actually suck….seems legit. Personally i use this second account just to troll pve heroes and make them ragequit..because you know, already r80, already have been top ladder, already been in esl…nothing to do so yeah…having fun being toxic, they ruined pvp and trashed my 3kk rank points and my 3k hours in pvp…now it’s time to go full trollmode…report me, i don’t give a single kitten…already have 3 accounts xD After 15 i just stopped being a kind player helping others, now my only goal is to make pvp a nighmare for new players….wanna blame someone? Blame anet…they made us being toxic, they made us hating pve heroes getting rewards with no effort, you did it now here’s your payback

Have fun. I can hold my own in PvP.
It’s true I reacted strongly but all the following comments were helpful in helping me understand a few issues.

in PvP

Posted by: bhagwad.4281

bhagwad.4281

Have fun. I can hold my own in PvP.
It’s true I reacted strongly but all the following comments were helpful in helping me understand a few issues.

What does it mean “I can hold my own” in PvP?

in PvP

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

Take off the hotjoin reward track daily limit and gold limit. Make sure tpvp has significantly higher payout but require a full 5 man team.

Add vote kick feature. Where in tpvp (for solo queue) multiple vote kicks within a certain period of time gives a stack of dishonorable.

Majority of problems solved.

Farmers stay in hotjoin, PvEers have to learn if they want bigger rewards, teams don’t get stuck with bads, and toxicity gets shut down by the simple block feature.

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

in PvP

Akeif.7491

hahaha :p

I don’t like PvE much, always played PvP in GW1 and GW2. Had my own GvG guild in GW1 and wrote all the builds for my team. So yeah, i’m a total noob.

What happen is :

1. I’m disappointed at how most players reacted. I hold PvPer in high regards, cause we kick kitten :p

2. And I didn’t get the whole picture. All the answers gave great insights and now I get why things are how they are right now.

So now I’m trying to figure out how to help solve the situation instead of flaming the forums

in PvP

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

I usually do hotjoins for my dailies and now for the dungeon reward tracks.

I wouldn’t of stepped into Solo Queue TPVP if it weren’t for the caps.

Glad I did. Won 3 out of 3 games so far.

in PvP

Posted by: Locuz.2651

Locuz.2651

Glad I did. Won 3 out of 3 games so far.

With 2 more wins and youll be top 20, no doubt.

in PvP

Posted by: Pinkcomet.2975

Pinkcomet.2975

I m a Pvx e20 p80% bear rank

In my pve mode
When i do dungeon i always put “everyone welcome”
I more than happy to take care of newbies even took me 30min more to finish.

In my pvp mode
Everytime i see noobies in my tpvp team. . I want to leave the game.
Things like ‘3 try to cap same point’ ‘rally enemies all the time’
Are making me feel like no point to play.
Cuz all i want from pvp is a gg or the win. This match dont have both.

For me pvp is all about….
“Team that lucky have less newbies…. Win!”

Problem is why Anet allow us to play in the same match?

To pvp newcomer
Pls play at quick join until u know ur things before enter s/t pvp.
Dont ruin our game

in PvP

Posted by: Chaotic.9742

Chaotic.9742

Stop it with these threads/ posts already. You’re a delicate little flower? Toughen up. The internet isn’t always puppies, rainbows, and unicorns. They have this cool feature called block for people who are meanies to you. Use it and get on with it. Or grow some thicker skin. If us pvp players went into dungeons we get kicked when we aren’t up to quality of the groups opinion most of the time. God forbid we come in with a hated class or build (ranger, “unoptimal” weapon set, etc). It’s a game with tons of people. Ignore the jerks and move on with your life.
/thread…

in PvP

Posted by: Angelica Dream.7103

Angelica Dream.7103

I am an ex swimmer & track runner, and working on my third degree black belt. Lets chat about good sportsman ship here for a second.

I have seen guys & girls burn it out on the track and swimming, and actually hug at the end of a good race.
I have contact martial arts with other people in tournaments from other stats and we plan lunches to meet and catch up. It is call sportsmanship, and no whether if you win or lost there is no excuse for insults.

(edited by Angelica Dream.7103)

in PvP

Posted by: Drafigo.4690

Drafigo.4690

I play 90% PvP every week and Since the patch I have noticed more newcomers being toxic then the guys that have been around. In matches the same. I know this because I pop out and back in to servers and watch that player who is usually below rank 20. I am sure there are some vets that are causing someone grief but listen the experienced player isn’t going to hear from a sub level 20 about how to win! I have spent a few hours this week watching some matches and seen this behavior more then a few times. I have seen guys crying foul at experienced players and calling them names or cheats. Funny thing is some of these players don’t swap weapons and has the default build. All in all I don’t thing the blame here is on the experienced players because I see far less of these types of behaviors from the vets.

in PvP

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

So you played 500 hotjoin games, still dont understand how to play conquest and dont like that you get insulted for it?

I am an ex track runner, and working on my third degree blakc belt. Lets chat about good sportsman ship here for a second.

I have seen guys & girls burn it out on the track and actually hug at the end of a good race.
I have contact martial arts with other people in tournaments from other stats and we plan lunches to meet and catch up. It is call sportsmanship, and no whether if you win or lost there is no excuse for insults.

Those for the most part are individual sports that rely solely on your individual effort sportsmanship is easy in that case.

If you are playing a football game and your center keeps falling over letting the quarter back get sacked over and over and over….. Are you going to tell them “aww you tried your best lets go get lunch now.” Or “hey your job is to keep 2 300 pound powerhouses off our quarterback now do it or you are done for the rest of the game.”

When trying to play as a cohesive unit to achieve a goal if one part of that unit is falling short it is necessary to bring it to attention. Now there are extrenuous factors such as getting soloqued with 3 thieves/2 mesmers. That’s just bad luck…. But if you know that your team comp should be solid and see one glaring hole in what is going on…. It should be called out.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in PvP

Posted by: Drafigo.4690

Drafigo.4690

I play 90% PvP every week and Since the patch I have noticed more newcomers being toxic then the guys that have been around. In matches the same. I know this because I pop out and back in to servers and watch that player who is usually below rank 20. I am sure there are some vets that are causing someone grief but listen the experienced player isn’t going to hear from a sub level 20 about how to win! I have spent a few hours this week watching some matches and seen this behavior more then a few times. I have seen guys crying foul at experienced players and calling them names or cheats. Funny thing is some of these players don’t swap weapons and has the default build. All in all I don’t thing the blame here is on the experienced players because I see far less of these types of behaviors from the vets.

Example of this happened to me last night. I was helping by directing traffic to open points on the map for capture and one guy said " Who are you our boss" and then proceeded to tell me that I sucked. Keep in mind I was very pleasant and not once was belittling or trying to point anyone out. After the match I popped out of the server and back in to watch said player and he was level 11. lol

in PvP

Posted by: Angelica Dream.7103

Angelica Dream.7103

@jportell
You can get really banged up in martial arts with people attacking you just as much or more than football. So not as “easy” as you say. Still there is mostly MA’s have a scene of sportsmanship. Anger in football is a mind set that seems to be encouraged.

Lets not encourage it in PVP

in PvP

Posted by: rhycochet.5268

rhycochet.5268

We can be as toxic as we like, don’t get all upset about it.

this x123456789.
especially because a large portion of the recent PvEr influx is just as toxic and refuse to listen to reason.

telling someone to stop doublecapping once or twice a match might be acceptable. having to repeat simple instructions 15 times a match to the same person is soul crushing.

stop crushing our souls and maybe you won’t see as much toxin.

in PvP

Posted by: Zoxea.9564

Zoxea.9564

PvEboys farming rank master dongeon afkers chicken run kill the game. RIP PvP 15 april 2014. And it’s not a troll… :/

in PvP

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

Tell pve heros to come to this forum and read the guides.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in PvP

Posted by: Malcastus.6240

Malcastus.6240

But seriously.. yeah. YEAH!

in PvP

Posted by: Tim.6450

Tim.6450

I think posting this only in the pvp forum will not help you see the total view. That aside, a bit after the introduction of the balance patch I decided to pick up pvp again, I don’t do much of it but I have moments where I want to play some pvp and most of the time hotjoin (my rank was in the 20ish when the new patch hit if it is any indication of my time in pvp), but this time I decided to do a tournament match (soloque) because I do not like how the teams can change at any moment of the game. In the first or second game I got commented by a player:
“go back to your PvE!”. (just that, no advice no nothing and probably because I wore a lengendary.)
It totally ruined my fun and haven’t touched tournament since then, so yeah the toxicity ruined a part of the game for me.

EverythingOP

in PvP

Posted by: DiamondMeteor.8345

DiamondMeteor.8345

The only thing I will say though:

New players, please don’t back pedal with the S key, and don’t keyboard turn.

Thanks.

Ranger / Revenant – Crystal Desert

in PvP

Posted by: Sogradde.8016

Sogradde.8016

I am so fed up with PvE people in PvP. You ruin the entire experience. I can’t even play anymore without a full friends/guildie team because a single one of you is enough to nullify all efforts. I am going to stop PvP until this is fixed and will start sabotaging dungeon runs in the meantime…

Midnight Mayhem [MM]
Gunnar’s Hold

in PvP

Posted by: Hype.8032

Hype.8032

It is Anet’s fault for putting pve rewards in spvp. Plus putting a limit on the rewards in hotjoin practically shoves them into the queues before they’re ready.

P.S. I focus those with legendaries because it’s complete BS that anet didn’t retroactively give pvp players past a certain experience one as well.

Tualek & F I Monk / Thief —-- Tk E / Engineer
Highest Solo Queue Rank Achieved: 40
Highest solo-join Team Queue Rank Achieved: 198

(edited by Hype.8032)