The Match making

The Match making

in PvP

Posted by: garethh.3518

garethh.3518

There seem to be a lot of confusion regarding the pvp rank and the breadboard position. I suggest to rename the pvp rank (those with rabbits and tigers) to pvp experience level.

You seem to forget that no one takes GW2 seriously anymore and every MMO has gotten by with experience based matchmaking.

Sure it’d be nice to have matches be always and forever super competitive for the super competitive… but that’s an ideal, welcome to reality.

Matches loosely based on experience alone won’t always be perfectly even, but they will generally end up even enough to create interesting matches.
GW2 has lost next to every super competitive player.
GW2 has the slowest pace of development I’ve ever seen.
GW2 has kittenty matchmaking.

Sure, devs can spend months and more months tweaking matchmaking to the point where people aren’t constantly complaining about it and that handful of competitive players are all happy…

But why???
A kittenty ‘slap together match based on rank’ matchmaking would shore up the issue with next to no effort on Anet’s part leaving plenty of time for them to work on actual issues…

(edited by garethh.3518)

The Match making

in PvP

Posted by: zone.1073

zone.1073

It sounds like Michael might be in what other games call “elo hell”. There isn’t much I can do to help, but he has a chance to escape once everyone’s MMR is reset.

We’re talking about ways to better introduce players into solo and team arena, and how to better place them on the curve. Yes, this includes possibly blocking entry until X number of games have been played. Yes, this includes making hot-join better resemble competitive play. No, none of this is set in stone so please do continue giving us your ideas and opinions.

You implement a 16-player mode for a year that teaches kids to zerg, play poorly, neglect using their brains, and then now you wonder why arenas are filled with horribad players.

ArenaNet basically bred, hand-fed, and nurtured the elo heII pit themselves.

The Match making

in PvP

Posted by: Deep Star.6541

Deep Star.6541

It sounds like Michael might be in what other games call “elo hell”. There isn’t much I can do to help, but he has a chance to escape once everyone’s MMR is reset.

We’re talking about ways to better introduce players into solo and team arena, and how to better place them on the curve. Yes, this includes possibly blocking entry until X number of games have been played. Yes, this includes making hot-join better resemble competitive play. No, none of this is set in stone so please do continue giving us your ideas and opinions.

You implement a 16-player mode for a year that teaches kids to zerg, play poorly, neglect using their brains, and then now you wonder why arenas are filled with horribad players.

ArenaNet basically bred, hand-fed, and nurtured the elo heII pit themselves.

Its quite sad. But this is the absolute truth. How long have the playerbase been saying to remove Hotjoins?

Riviére, Select Start, Cmnd Ctrl, Uninteresting Event @ Three Steps Ahead [Oz]

The Match making

in PvP

Posted by: clint.5681

clint.5681

Match making balance isnt good now, not the first time this has happened since the change

Attachments:

Rangir Dangir – Ranger | Mr. Ragr- Guardian| Sneak Stab – Thief | Mr. Ragir- Warrior
[url=https://] [/url]

The Match making

in PvP

Posted by: Yuki.1765

Yuki.1765

@clint oh god O__O

Btw, today I got a game with 3 guardians : We’ve lost … Dun ask me how and why …

Yuni Yuki n’ Co PvP r39 – WvW r962 – Necromant and Guardian !
Vizunah Spirit [VSS], Vizunah Square [FR] We’ll never surrender!

The Match making

in PvP

Posted by: Oslaf Beinir.5842

Oslaf Beinir.5842

I am not sure I liked that match…YoloQ is a gamble but it is better than before

there is still room for improving match making and I have no doubt Anet could pull it off

Attachments:

Get In The Van Yo[PR] -Play on Far Shiverpeaks/Gunner’s Hold/Vabbi

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

The Match making

in PvP

Posted by: Michael.7382

Michael.7382

So u sayin mm is good, better than before, but after over 1yr of pvp and tons of tournies im mached like this… There is no way to carry this lol.
Fo sho it works gr8

Attachments:

Champion: >| Illusionist | Shadow | Phantom | Legionnaire | Magus | Hunter |<
r[5x] tPvP onlY.
|>>> 2000+ Tournament Matches won, still rising <<<|

The Match making

in PvP

Posted by: Tranassa.4968

Tranassa.4968

Yeah another awesome match… got rank 2 ele, but rank means nothing, so our mesmer went afk complaining about the ele and the 2 dps guards…
At least he was using chat… only person except me using the chat at all
“Hello kittens” where his first words…

Why not ban such ppl?

Begining to think it is an player issue… rather than a matchmaking issue.

I’m playing on EU
Automated Tournaments!

(edited by Tranassa.4968)

The Match making

in PvP

Posted by: Ulalume.9584

Ulalume.9584

Can we please not allow people below r20 to queue for tournaments? It takes just a couple of hours to hit that rank but it would improve the quality of matches you get in solo q.

My r9 team mate just died to Svanir…

The Match making

in PvP

Posted by: Rarnark.5623

Rarnark.5623

I actually used to have competitive and engaging games in solo queue, where it felt like everybody knew what they were doing. Now you’ll have two or three people who know what they’re doing on your team. It’s less about actual tournament strat now and more about trying to work around your desperately kitten teammates.

Try hard in solo queue or /wank for the same effect

#esports

Spirit Bae
Bad Boy Teenager Club [BBTC]
twitch.tv/rarnark

The Match making

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

Can we please not allow people below r20 to queue for tournaments? It takes just a couple of hours to hit that rank but it would improve the quality of matches you get in solo q.

My r9 team mate just died to Svanir…

it takes more than couple of hours to get to 20 unless you exploited…

but in generall i agree

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

The Match making

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

Match making balance isnt good now, not the first time this has happened since the change

i had a match with 3 thieves before… we won somehow O_o

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

The Match making

in PvP

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

This discussion is a pretty good example of why I’ve been suggesting we factor in play style and profile information into matchmaking as well.

Wouldn’t it be awesome if you could say how serious you were about competition and be matched accordingly? I want to make that happen.

It would definitely be good if you could somehow have individual roles/playstyle factor into matchmaking, so you don’t end up with a team of all dps or all bunkers. However, this would be tough to do and still allow people to switch specs/chars after a queue pops.

Also, this may be off topic, but it would be nice if there was a +/- button when selecting skill-points so you don’t have to reset to 0 every time you want to make a small tweak. Tweaking before a match begins would also be great. This really is related in terms of players switching play-styles for the teams/maps they get.

Edit: Just wanted to add that I am enjoying most matches much more now, as I would often get pummelled repeatedly at times against very-high ranked teams (had a 15 game losing streak 1-day b/c I kept getting matched against stacked teams and 4v5s). While some of the competition I am seeing now is clearly some worse players, who might be slightly below my skill level based on how easy it is to fight them, I feel like that will work itself out over time. Matches are also much more fun and even now.

(edited by BlackBeard.2873)

The Match making

in PvP

Posted by: Vargamonth.2047

Vargamonth.2047

@clint oh god O__O

Btw, today I got a game with 3 guardians : We’ve lost … Dun ask me how and why …

It depends on many things (build/specs, the other 2 players’ class, …), but is not weird at all. If you get 3 mace/staff bunker guardians in the same team, you should expect to lose.

The Match making

in PvP

Posted by: Manifibel.8420

Manifibel.8420

I started playing PvP more often now, and want to get into it.
There is different reasons why I started this late, and still have problems committing to this.
But to stay on topic. I really can not feel the change of mmr. I still feel like I play with noobs. (Maybe I am just bad? Guess so) Hope the reset might give me a fresh start.
It would be WONDERFULL to be able to see my mmr.

And a side note. I would love a reset to the PvP rank. Might be a impossible thing to do, but I feel like it should only be able to be acquire from playing in the turnys. The Hot-Join stuff is really just, running around in zergs and killing stuff. No one give a kitten in hot join.

Dungeons being about how fast you clear then compared to being able to clear them makes me sad.

The Match making

in PvP

Posted by: Dancing Face.4695

Dancing Face.4695

I have just ended a tournamet where i got in my team a rank 3 and a rank 9 vs a full team of rank 30 at least.
Yeee it’s broken

Gandara

The Match making

in PvP

Posted by: Thedenofsin.7340

Thedenofsin.7340

I log in solo and go up against triple warrior + guardian + engineer?
When are you going to fix the matchmaking??

The Match making

in PvP

Yuki.1765

I have just ended a tournamet where i got in my team a rank 3 and a rank 9 vs a full team of rank 30 at least.
Yeee it’s broken

ended 2 soloQ :
- 1st one, opposite team didn’t get the orb, and didn’t defend their positions => Too easy
- 2nd one, my team was running I dunno where, and keep dying at central point. We Had a r50 war, totally useless, with 0 personnal pts at the end of the game. => Ridiculous

I feel That SoloQ is : I’m ganked or I gank other team … I’m not enjoying SoloQ anymore …

(edited by Yuki.1765)

The Match making

in PvP

Thedenofsin.7340

Ran into another in solo – went up against 4xNecros. No pick-up group can overcome that much condition cheese. A coordinated group with a good team comp, yes, but this is solo queue.

The Match making

in PvP

Yuki.1765

Well, against 4 condi necro you can win ! If no one defend points it’s easy

The Match making

in PvP

Thedenofsin.7340

Well, against 4 condi necro you can win ! If no one defend points it’s easy

You could by either having far: having far superior group movement speed, or stacking tons of condition removal, or by stacking tons of stuns. However, that requires more group composition (and coordination) than what you can expect from solo queue.

The Match making

in PvP

Yuki.1765

Once we were 3 necros, we lost it /disagree

SoloQ is a huge lotery (national lotery?!), you can win a very good compo, win with a pretty bad compo, lose with a good compo, lose with bad coord …

Let’s take the watchspirit map : Even if you have a pro compo, if no one get the orb … You win /dance

Same with skyhammer, if no one get the Hammer, you can lose /bad

The Match making

in PvP

Posted by: DeterminedPanda.1274

DeterminedPanda.1274

I agree with the OP. The system does not work appropriately. Rank does matter if they are below rank 10. You cannot tell me that a rank 10 can be anywhere near a rank 30-50. Skyhammer farmers excluded, because these folks arent in tpvp that much anyway. I simply do not understand how in solo and team que, people ranked in the top 1000 can be put with rank 1s on the same team. Seriously. That should never ever ever happen. But it does. Every day.

My experience still has the system deciding over 50% of the matches. One team will have a couple terrible members and it’s gg from then on. I’m aware that I am not on the top tier or players, but putting rank 1s on my team and having the other team all 30+ should just not happen ever.

Side note: the leaderboards are straight crazy. I don’t pretend to know the system itself, but the results are terrible. I have won 9 of my last 12 in solo que, and gone down in rank. I have lost my last 3 in teamque and gone up in rank. One day i won 6 straight in solo and went down from 95% to 92%….. Like I said I dont know the math behind it, but my personal experience with lb is that they tell us nothing. Really nothing. I am above people on team that I know i am worse than, and below people I know I can beat.

Lock sub rank 5s out of tournaments please. And there is something wrong with your system, you cant just tell us all that our mmr is low, we are going to get with people with equal mmr – that is lazy business there. There is a problem that needs to be fixed from your side Anet. rank 45, 39, 35, 1, 1 (3 top 800, other two not ranked) vs all 30+ with people in top 50…… Again, I don’t know how your system functions, but I do know that something is wrong on Anet’s side

Derpty

The Match making

in PvP

Posted by: Swagg.9236

Swagg.9236

Now that I see the OP, I wish that I had taken screenshots, but I’ve been in 2 team-queue matches in the past three days in which my entire team aside from me has been rank 1.

I had a match that was a rank 28 (me) with four rank 1s vs a team that had ranks ranging from 10 to 32 with a mean in the low-mid 20s.