Tournament Of Legends: Signups and Dates

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

As I’ve suggested before, make this really easy…

64 teams in the tournament
8 teams are selected by Blu and are the seeded teams.
56 teams are randomly selected and are randomly placed into bracket positions.

Then the “hand picked” teams should have to go through qualifiers for their place on the seeding list. It’s the difference between facing a 16 seed in the opening round or a 15 seed.

I had to put my waders on to get through the pool of alpha male testosterone in here.

I don’t disagree. I doubt Blu would select based on who has the hottest looking toon. I’d imagine that he’d select based on teams that have won or consistently done well in previous tournaments.

The main point though, is that I think Blu needs to be open about exactly how he plans to select teams, the total number of team, etc.

in PvP

Posted by: Mike.4830

Mike.4830

Well thats ridiculous and clearly your MMR isnt good enough to play top tier players otherwise you would realize who is dominant… Guarantee right now, GF, Apex, Outplayed by Children, and (Caed and tany if they field a team) will be the last four teams unless they knock each other out… No WvW team will beat them and last i checked they dont win points with a decap engi, they fight for it..

My MMR has been good enough at times to play everyone, which again is a sad indication of sPvP in this game. Because I am not good at the game, nor do I try to learn any of the game mechanics like people who truely want to compete at the game do. So if you get a casual player able to get a high MMR what does that say about PvP in this game?

WvW has more true pvpers because in WvW they primarily just fight each other. In PvP you end up fighting vs points 90% of the time. O look we won the fight at middle but nope some guy on our close already and by time we get there we are being bunkered over and over. According to alpha and beta sources alot of people who came to this game to pvp couldn’t be bothered with just playing stand on a point game play.

If PvP was about combat then you would get more than 5 points for a player kill.

Based on that logic, WvW is just capturing Keeps and Towers not fighting… SO no combat is involved at all otherwise your world would get points right?> o wait

Backpack God
The Absurd [RIP] ESL Go4 Weekly Winners
Outplayed By Children [GG] ToL 2 Winners

in PvP

Posted by: lilz shorty.1879

lilz shorty.1879

Lol as I said before, these PvE and WvW players are all drinking some bad water…..

You guys keep saying that you guys focus more on combat than the PvPr’s, which is the most idiotic thing I have ever heard. Please believe, if there was a pure 5v5 of the any top PvP players vs ANY WvW/PvE player, doesn’t matter if if its in WvW or PvP, the group of PvP players would win easily………………….EASILY.

“Morfeus X” || Team: Apex Prime
“Best Guardian NA”

in PvP

Mike.4830

Lol as I said before, these PvE and WvW players are all drinking some bad water…..

You guys keep saying that you guys focus more on combat than the PvPr’s, which is the most idiotic thing I have ever heard. Please believe, if there was a pure 5v5 of the any top PvP players vs ANY WvW/PvE player, doesn’t matter if if its in WvW or PvP, the group of PvP players would win easily………………….EASILY.

Next time the Bloody GvG happens for 400$ mabye those WvWers can prove their amazing skills

Backpack God

in PvP

Posted by: Thedenofsin.7340

Thedenofsin.7340

Last year’s prize pool for League of Legends: over $2,000,000
Last year’s prize pool for GW2: $10,000

This year’s prize pool for League of Legends: over $2,000,000 (rumored)
This year’s prize pool for GW2: $0 (+ some electrons)

#GW2ESPORTSWOW

This year’s winning team of spirit ranger, hambow (possibly 2), thief, guardian + X (if not double hambow) will also win this lovely trophy: http://s7.orientaltrading.com/is/image/OrientalTrading/13614154?$VIEWER_IMAGE_400$

(edited by Thedenofsin.7340)

in PvP

Posted by: Darek.1836

Darek.1836

Last year’s prize pool for League of Legends: over $2,000,000
Last year’s prize pool for GW2: $10,000

This year’s prize pool for League of Legends: over $2,000,000 (rumored)
This year’s prize pool for GW2: $0 (+ some electrons)

#GW2ESPORTSWOW

This year’s winning team of spirit ranger, hambow (possibly 2), thief, guardian + X (if not double hambow) will also win this lovely trophy: http://s7.orientaltrading.com/is/image/OrientalTrading/13614154?$VIEWER_IMAGE_400$

lmfao

Holy
Sharks With Lazers [PEW]

in PvP

lilz shorty.1879

Next time the Bloody GvG happens for 400$ mabye those WvWers can prove their amazing skills

Good point. It will be nice to see PvPers and WvWers do a 20v20 and prove who is better. That’s the only real GvG at the moment.

20v20 is not GvG lol. Its a bunch of blobbing and blasting water fields while following the commander. Occasionally you have your backline peel off other backline members but that is it. It effectively ignores a lot of Gw2 combat mechanics. This is coming from someone who’s guild actually is a top WvW guild. WvW mechanics are extremely laughable. Average players mechanics aren’t isolated because it can be covered up through the other 19 members, so they can look like they are halfway decent. Put these players in a 5v5 situation, where their actually mechanics and knowledge of team fighting is highlighted, they will fail miserably. This has been shown time and time again.

Blob v Blob is what you meant lol. GvG? That is something that was left in back in GW1 unfortunately. Do not compare the two.

“Best Guardian NA”

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Good point. It will be nice to see PvPers and WvWers do a 20v20 and prove who is better. That’s the only real GvG at the moment.

20v20 is not GvG lol. Its a bunch of blobbing and blasting water fields while following the commander. Occasionally you have your backline peel off other backline members but that is it. It effectively ignores a lot of Gw2 combat mechanics. This is coming from someone who’s guild actually is a top WvW guild. WvW mechanics are extremely laughable. Average players mechanics aren’t isolated because it can be covered up through the other 19 members, so they can look like they are halfway decent. Put these players in a 5v5 situation, where their actually mechanics and knowledge of team fighting is highlighted, they will fail miserably. This has been shown time and time again.

Blob v Blob is what you meant lol. GvG? That is something that was left in back in GW1 unfortunately. Do not compare the two.

As I’ve said before, if you take the top 4 teams in the tournament into a 20v20 against the best WvW GvG guild, the GvG guild will win. If you take the best 5 members of the best GvG guild, they will get beat by any of the top 4 teams in the PvP tournament. I think you’d agree that in PvP, it is not only the combat mechanics you mention, but also rotation strategies, how to play the map, etc.

It’s still funny though the lack of understanding. PvP people think 20v20 is just a bunch of running around pressing 1 and doing water fields. WvW people think PvP is just running around standing on points. It’s funny and so wrong.

The sad reality is this… Talking about this is more exciting than watching a conquest match.

in PvP

lilz shorty.1879

As I’ve said before, if you take the top 4 teams in the tournament into a 20v20 against the best WvW GvG guild, the GvG guild will win. If you take the best 5 members of the best GvG guild, they will get beat by any of the top 4 teams in the PvP tournament. I think you’d agree that in PvP, it is not only the combat mechanics you mention, but also rotation strategies, how to play the map, etc.

It’s still funny though the lack of understanding. PvP people think 20v20 is just a bunch of running around pressing 1 and doing water fields. WvW people think PvP is just running around standing on points. It’s funny and so wrong.

The sad reality is this… Talking about this is more exciting than watching a conquest match.

For the most part, that’s what WvW is. I do both at a highest level so i’m not one of your typical posters who see’s things from one perspective. I agree that, 20v20 of the best WvWr’s vs the best 20 in pvp would not be a demolish. But that isn’t due to mechanics at all. The GvGr’s all have more experience following their commanders like headless chickens, blasting water fields, keeping stability up, dropping damage when he says drop damage. To me that is not skill but literally just a cluster crap of skills spammed and the guilds weaving in of each other until they drop people.

Your mechanics cannot be built in WvW at all. You ignore 90% of what GW2 combat mechanics brings, which is why WvW players feel they need 20v20. Without 20v20, their terrible mechanics get highlighted. In 20v20 you constantly have stability, multiple water fields and conditions getting cleansed for you. Savings skills for the right moment is not a necessity as opposed to just making sure stability and protection is up all the time.

In PvP, you learn how to really manage your skills well due to the sheer fact your mistakes aren’t covered by 19 other players. When I GvG/15v30 in WvW, I get lazy because its so faceroll and stupid. In PvP, I need to make sure I know when a thief is about to PW me, watch my teammates health, make sure I have aegis for when the war is about to earth-shaker, have a blind or block because a target is about to go down for a stomp, know whether or not I can win this 1v2 or because I know my personal skill well enough, dodge knockbacks before the other team is about to rez their teammate, use shadow refuge to avoid a stomp……I could go on for days.

In WvW you ignore ALL of these mechanics. Literally all of them. That is why when WvW players, unless they duel or 2v2 a lot, get destroyed by PvP players in a 5v5. On top of knowing when to use cd’s in team fights, that is not the most important thing. Knowing when to rotate and how to rotate is the biggest factor and takes longer to learn.

WvW is just faceroll and I raid and GvG with my guild, and its just lol compared to PvP. Im sure very few of here can say that because maybe 5-8 of us do both at an extremely high level.

And if you don’t believe me when I say I do all at a high level, you are more then welcome to come GvG my guild, 1v1 me, or scrim my PvP team. But I suggest you don’t if you wish to keep your pride.

“Best Guardian NA”

(edited by lilz shorty.1879)

in PvP

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

It will be nice to see PvPers and WvWers do a 20v20 and prove who is better. That’s the only real GvG at the moment.

Make-believe pvp, you mean.

inbe4 ‘stategic zerging’ & ‘competitif cazul’

p.s. the only thing you’d be proving is you’ve got no clue what real pvp actually looks like.
moreover, ‘real gvg’ is something way over your head, and that even in its extremely watered-down manifestation.
#zergderpderp

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363

(edited by KarlaGrey.5903)

in PvP

Posted by: BLUna.7928

BLUna.7928

Hey guys. So first off I want to apologize for keeping people in the dark. I have been speaking with a lot of people over the past few days to see what we could change considering the limited time span, and I didn’t want to say anything without being 100% sure this is the way we were going to take it. With that here is exactly how things are going to go down:

• The brackets for each region will have 64 teams
  • Up to 8 of these slots will be reserved on each region. When we release the teams that will be chosen (on the 15th) I will be saying exactly who these teams are and why they were given those slots.
  • The other 56+ slots will be chosen randomly among teams that have full rosters submitted by the signup’s closing date (Please keep in mind that you can still add/edit your roster by emailing me at john@mistpedia.net). Teams that are chosen via this process will receive an email from myself on Tuesday, these will act as a way for teams to RSVP for the event. Teams will have until 9PM EDT on April 17th to respond with a confirmation of their participation, if they do not respond teams will be added from the backlog, so there is still a chance for teams to get in if we have a lack of a response or a declined invitation from a team that was initially chosen.
  • The brackets will be seeded manually by Mistpedia staff.

To ensure 100% validity of the randomization process I will be streaming Monday night after the signups close with the selection process, so if you would like to find out early if your team will be playing you will be able to tune in on my stream when I do this on Monday night (ill post an actual time once I know my own schedule for Monday night)

ArenaNet will be talking a little bit more about this on the next episode of Ready Up, so if you guys still have any unanswered questions or concerns feel free to tune in on there, and as always if you guys have anything you would like addressed personally you can send me a tell in game or email me. Thanks again for your patience in waiting for this response.

As well just to keep people in the loop here are the current signup stats:

• 194 Full Teams (I still have to check for uniqueness on these so possibly minus out 5-10 teams from that)
  • 33 Partial Teams
Retired GW2 Shoutcaster
Now Casting CS:GO with ESEA
Twitter: @BLUCSGO

(edited by BLUna.7928)

in PvP

lilz shorty.1879

Hey guys. So first off I want to apologize for keeping people in the dark. I have been speaking with a lot of people over the past few days to see what we could change considering the limited time span, and I didn’t want to say anything without being 100% sure this is the way we were going to take it. With that here is exactly how things are going to go down:

• Up to 8 of these slots will be reserved on each region. When we release the teams that will be chosen (on the 15th) I will be saying exactly who these teams are and why they were given those slots.
  • The other 56+ slots will be chosen randomly among teams that have full rosters submitted by the signup’s closing date (Please keep in mind that you can still add/edit your roster by emailing me at john@mistpedia.net). Teams that are chosen via this process will receive an email from myself on Tuesday, these will act as a way for teams to RSVP for the event. Teams will have until 8PM EDT on April 17th to respond with a confirmation of their participation, if they do not respond teams will be added from the backlog, so there is still a chance for teams to get in if we have a lack of a response or a declined invitation from a team that was initially chosen.

To ensure 100% validity of the randomization process I will be streaming Monday night after the signups close with the selection process, so if you would like to find out early if your team will be playing you will be able to tune in on my stream when I do this on Monday night (ill post an actual time once I know my own schedule for Monday night)

ArenaNet will be talking a little bit more about this on the next episode of Ready Up, so if you guys still have any unanswered questions or concerns feel free to tune in on there, and as always if you guys have anything you would like addressed personally you can send me a tell in game or email me. Thanks again for your patience in waiting for this response.

• 194 Full Teams (I still have to check for uniqueness on these so possibly minus out 5-10 teams from that)
  • 33 Partial Teams

This will be interesting. Its almost like the NCAA march madness lol.

“Best Guardian NA”

in PvP

Posted by: Lux.7169

Lux.7169

• The other 56+ slots will be chosen randomly among teams that have full rosters submitted by the signup’s closing date (Please keep in mind that you can still add/edit your roster by emailing me at john@mistpedia.net). Teams that are chosen via this process will receive an email from myself on Tuesday, these will act as a way for teams to RSVP for the event. Teams will have until 8PM EDT on April 17th to respond with a confirmation of their participation, if they do not respond teams will be added from the backlog, so there is still a chance for teams to get in if we have a lack of a response or a declined invitation from a team that was initially chosen.

• 33 Partial Teams

Quick question: On the signups it said that a 6th player was optional. Do you need a sub/6th to be considered a full team?

[SoF]

in PvP

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

Will the rewards stay the same or be expanded to accommodate the large interest?

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

in PvP

Posted by: Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

RNG is so bad almost all pve players signed up ^^

54 infractions and counting because a moderator doesn’t understand a joke when he/she sees it.
E.A.D.

in PvP

Darek.1836

So in the end we really are going to have to pray to god we get chosen…
great.

Holy
Sharks With Lazers [PEW]

in PvP

Posted by: Pyriall.5027

Pyriall.5027

• 33 Partial Teams

That’s a crock. If you’re going to make it random, make it random for all entries. Instead you have some arbitrary measure as to who those 8 select teams will be. I’m going to go out on a limb and say it is a composition of teams that you are familiar with through previous tournaments. Though I wouldn’t normally disagree with those teams entering, there was no prerequisite established from A-net to participate in the tournament. They said plainly, everyone can participate. So either open it up to all the teams OR make it random for everyone.

Here is another mistake made by A-net, leaving this pvp “reward” in the hands of someone who may potentially have a bias towards a player or group of players. At least there will be an appearance of bias either way with the current way this is going to be handled. If A-Net wanted reserved spots, they should have said three weeks ago they were going to reserve spots for teams who have the highest average MMR or something.

(edited by Pyriall.5027)

in PvP

Posted by: Chaith.8256

Chaith.8256

That’s a crock. If you’re going to make it random, make it random for all entries. Instead you have some arbitrary measure as to who those 8 select teams will be. I’m going to go out on a limb and say it is a composition of teams that you are familiar with through previous tournaments. Though I wouldn’t normally disagree with those teams entering, there was no prerequisite established from A-net to participate in the tournament. They said plainly, everyone can participate. So either open it up to all the teams OR make it random for everyone.

Here is another mistake made by A-net, leaving this pvp “reward” in the hands of someone who may potentially have a bias towards a player or group of players. At least there will be an appearance of bias either way with the current way this is going to be handled. If A-Net wanted reserved spots, they should have said three weeks ago they were going to reserve spots for teams who have the highest average MMR or something.

Whelp.

• Arenanet is backing this tournament with prizes, but I’ve personally never had the impression that they had a team or any employees officially sanctioning/overseeing what is more accurately called ’Blu’s Sponsored Tournament’. It’s kind of hard to blame someone for making a perceived mistake who really doesn’t have their hands in it.
  • It’s obvious that 64 teams per region is the maximum that can be accommodated. There can apparently be no way to allow more signup teams to join. Expectations were set too high, it’s natural to feel let down.
  • The reason why having no reserved team slots, and a 100% completely random selected matchup and team entry, is one reason: quality of results. If by chance, the top 8 teams are not allowed to compete, of what quality will the rankings be? May the best teams be rewarded accordingly.
  • As for my previous suggestions to incorporate MMR into the placings and seed the tournament accordingly, I still feel that would be a more fair way to go, rather than randomization. This is because that will increase the chances that the best teams will place better – even if it is a marginal increase. There is a definite possibility that a team who might not be randomly selected for entry could perform better than one of the reserved-spot top 8 teams, among the rest of the randomly selected entrants, and land in the reward bracket.

As long as the organizing decisions for this tournament will further the goal of accurately depicting which teams are the most legendary in descending order, then I am for it. Unfortunately, randomization of the last 56 teams per region is not the optimal choice.. but it could be worse, in terms of promoting the more accurate results.

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh
New Twitter: @chaithhh

(edited by Chaith.8256)

in PvP

Posted by: Rezz.8019

Rezz.8019

Due to time constraints and fact that you thought you wouldn’t get this many applicants so you couldn’t organise a proper qualifier tourney in time I guess this is kind of ok.

But: it is completely unfaired that you make that biased decision and you play god and choose those 8 teams based on how much YOU like them. Make it fair and RNG everyone. If GF or your other friends don’t make it — well that’s RNG. Next time there will be better organisation and this situation won’t happen (I hope).

I do not accept that someone who is playing the same game as me, invested similar amount or less time in it, gets the exclusive privilege over me just because they are more social and all that stuff. Make it fair.

in PvP

Rezz.8019

As long as the organizing decisions for this tournament will further the goal of accurately depicting which teams are the most legendary in descending order, then I am for it. Unfortunately, randomization of the last 56 teams per region is not the optimal choice.. but it could be worse.

And who is “most legendary” exactly? I don’t see how you deserve a chance more than me in any way.

You: talk a lot, friends with blu, friends with people who farm leaderboard and tourneys against most of the time easy opponents, have a team that is known by some people in NA prime time zone.

Me: GW1 top 50 GvG, R14HA, GWAMM, GW2 shark, all champion titles, ~99% games from tournaments and ~1% hotjoin, top level in all areas of the game. But I play during euro and asia time zone.

Anyway: what is YOUR criteria to decide which teams are “most legendary”?

EDIT: I still consider myself to have equal right as any other player to attend this tournament. No matter how experienced they are. All should be equal, just like in GW1.

(edited by Rezz.8019)

in PvP

Chaith.8256

But: it is completely unfaired that you make that biased decision and you play god and choose those 8 teams based on how much YOU like them.

• snip *

…gets the exclusive privilege over me just because they are more social and all that stuff. Make it fair.

That’s it.

• Blu personally likes good teams.
  • And they’re more social.
  • And all that stuff.

Nailed it!

Okay, the 8 reserve teams that Blu chooses

When we release the teams that will be chosen (on the 15th) I will be saying exactly who these teams are and why they were given those slots.

So just hold your horses, bud.

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh

in PvP

Chaith.8256

Anyway: what is YOUR criteria to decide which teams are “most legendary”?

Simply the strongest team at the conquest game mode. May the strongest team win. I have said this like 40 times.

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh

in PvP

Posted by: Acrisor.8097

Acrisor.8097

In my opinion this is not fair. I strongly disagree with favoring some players.

The announcement states clearly “we’ll open sign-ups to everyone” ( https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/announcing-the-guild-wars-2-tournament-of-legends/ ). There is no mention in the announcement of 8 preferred teams chosen by BLU probably because they are all friends, or probably because they all have blue eyes.

We are all equal players on the same game. If it must be random, then let it be random by selecting randomly from all the signed teams.

Regarding slots, BLUna used the term “slots” combined with the word “reserved”. Does this imply that these reserved slots will be in the last 16? Will those random 56 teams fight each other until 8 remain, and the last 8 of 56 will fight the 8 reserved? I ask this because to me “reserved slots” makes more sense this way.

in PvP

Posted by: Phaeton.9582

Phaeton.9582

It’s a tournament, not a lottery.

The best known teams should be allowed to compete without rng.

Phaatonn, London UK

in PvP

Pyriall.5027

Whelp.

• Arenanet is backing this tournament with prizes, but I’ve personally never had the impression that they had a team or any employees officially sanctioning/overseeing what is more accurately called ’Blu’s Sponsored Tournament’. It’s kind of hard to blame someone for making a perceived mistake who really doesn’t have their hands in it.

This tournament would not be happening if not for the rewards provided by A-net. They said it was a reward for the pvp players to achieve a legendary/items. They could have hosted the tournament themselves and asked someone to shout cast or just help an in game tournament with no shout casting and just round robbin the matches. They didn’t HAVE to use BLUE or Mistepedia, they chose to do so. They should take some responsibility for it, not to mention the amount of times they have said everyone can get in on it. Excluding players or including players based on someone’s opinion is a terrible way to reward the pvp players.

It doesn’t matter what criteria Blu uses in establishing those 8 teams, if they weren’t mentioned prior to the announcement date they are pointless.

• The reason why having no reserved team slots, and a 100% completely random selected matchup and team entry, is one reason: quality of results. If by chance, the top 8 teams are not allowed to compete, of what quality will the rankings be? May the best teams be rewarded accordingly.

What do you mean quality of results? This tournament is a stand alone tournament, it was designed to reward the players to won the tournament. The quality of the results would speak for itself. The winner won the tournament.

• As for my previous suggestions to incorporate MMR into the placings and seed the tournament accordingly, I still feel that would be a more fair way to go, rather than randomization. This is because that will increase the chances that the best teams will place better – even if it is a marginal increase. There is a definite possibility that a team who might not be randomly selected for entry could perform better than one of the reserved-spot top 8 teams, among the rest of the randomly selected entrants, and land in the reward bracket.

I would agree, IF they announced that 2-3 weeks ago when they revealed the tournament. That would have allowed for new teams, who are just now grouping up, to have had time to position themselves on the leaderboard.

As long as the organizing decisions for this tournament will further the goal of accurately depicting which teams are the most legendary in descending order, then I am for it. Unfortunately, randomization of the last 56 teams per region is not the optimal choice.. but it could be worse, in terms of promoting the more accurate results.

I don’t recall them saying the rewards were to determine the most legendary team.

in PvP

Pyriall.5027

What are you using to qualify the best known teams? Are you talking about a tournament system which only a few teams participated in? Or are you talking about my weekend tournament that I play with my friends? Personally I believe my weekend tournament teams are much stronger…See how arbitrary that is?

in PvP

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

They made a mistake by underestimating their event. Can you blame them? All former pvp events had problems finding 16 teams.
Now they have to deal with it and they did. Allowing everyone is just very hard from an organizing standpoint. I think it’ll be messy enough with 64 teams per region.

Important note: Keep those rosters, team names , etc for further events (if you plan on doing that). I’ll bet there will be ALOT of teams that won’t show up, etc. Punish those teams in the future.

I understand that they chose the ‘best’ teams because they deserve a spot. Those teams will be (I guess) chosen on their activity in past pvp events. They are the competitive pvp community and it’s a very small one.
If its completely random you risk having a very low-skill/one-sided tournament. This is not enjoyable to watch and streaming it is a very important aspect of the tournament. Atleast you’ll know have a guarantee that there will be some decent matches later on in the tournament.

Best solution would be allowing everyone, but that’s just not feasible.
Even better would have been, if they were clear from the beginning about the rules, etc.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

in PvP

Posted by: Perdix.8641

Perdix.8641

What are you using to qualify the best known teams? Are you talking about a tournament system which only a few teams participated in? Or are you talking about my weekend tournament that I play with my friends? Personally I believe my weekend tournament teams are much stronger…See how arbitrary that is?

So you feel you are more qualified than blu to pick the top 8 seeded teams then? And yes I’m talking about the public tournaments, this being a public event and all…

in PvP

Chaith.8256

Personally I believe my weekend tournament teams are much stronger…See how arbitrary that is?

I’m not going to press this issue too hard, but I would just like to address all these ’devil’s advocate’ things you’re bringing up for the sake of debate..

Because Blu will be basing his 8 team reserve on reasons we do not know yet, he said he will explain who and why on April 15th. There is clearly a criteria based system he’s putting to use here, and it’s not based on a random whim like you’re claiming.

It’s probably just based on criteria that non-competitive teams don’t excel in. IE: Previous tournament performance.

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh

in PvP

Posted by: Storm Valkyrie.9471

Storm Valkyrie.9471

• 33 Partial Teams

Any way you could tell us how many there are for each region?

in PvP

Posted by: infantrydiv.1620

infantrydiv.1620

It’s unfortunate that all teams cannot be accomodated, but at least 64 on each region is a sizeable bracket.

I would prefer leaderboard ranking to be factored in directly to those who get to participate in the tournament.

IE: It would be kind of sad if a team of randoms ranked in the 40% got chosen over a new team in the top 200 that blu just hadn’t heard of.

Ranger//Necro

in PvP

Pyriall.5027

So you feel you are more qualified than blu to pick the top 8 seeded teams then? And yes I’m talking about the public tournaments, this being a public event and all…

Not sure where you got the impression that I was saying I was more qualified than anyone. I was pointing out how ridiculous the statement was by comparing it to a fake weekend tournament, being that there was no prerequisite to enter this tournament. How does anything you have done in the past through, a non-sanctioned tournament, have any bearing on a tournament that was to be opened to everyone?

in PvP

Pyriall.5027

Personally I believe my weekend tournament teams are much stronger…See how arbitrary that is?

I’m not going to press this issue too hard, but I would just like to address all these ’devil’s advocate’ things you’re bringing up for the sake of debate..

Because Blu will be basing his 8 team reserve on reasons we do not know yet, he said he will explain who and why on April 15th. There is clearly a criteria based system he’s putting to use here, and it’s not based on a random whim like you’re claiming.

It’s probably just based on criteria that non-competitive teams don’t excel in. IE: Previous tournament performance.

How can you use a prerequisite to reserve 8 spots when one was never announced? Keep it fair to everyone, I don’t think that is too much to ask. Apparently you’re going to be judged based off criteria you didn’t know you were going to be judged upon. We all know what Blu’s criteria will more than likely be. It will be based off of past tournaments. I don’t think those teams are any more deserving than a team that was put together last week. It was already announced and said multiple times over that it was open to everyone. All we’re now doing is EXACTLY what we condemned them for doing to pvp’ers with the rewards for pve players.

(edited by Pyriall.5027)

in PvP

Posted by: Jasher.6580

Jasher.6580

Serious question, do you think you can build a team that can beat Good Fights?

in PvP

Posted by: Powerr.3649

Powerr.3649

This tournament would not be happening if not for the rewards provided by A-net. They said it was a reward for the pvp players to achieve a legendary/items. They could have hosted the tournament themselves and asked someone to shout cast or just help an in game tournament with no shout casting and just round robbin the matches. They didn’t HAVE to use BLUE or Mistepedia, they chose to do so. They should take some responsibility for it, not to mention the amount of times they have said everyone can get in on it. Excluding players or including players based on someone’s opinion is a terrible way to reward the pvp players.

From what I’ve personally experienced is an officially sanctioned ArenaNet tournament.

#believeinblouch

Good luck to the teams that participate!

Powerr
PZ

(edited by Powerr.3649)

in PvP

Chaith.8256

How can you use a prerequisite to reserve 8 spots when one was never announced? Keep it fair to everyone, I don’t think that is too much to ask.

I’ll explain again, but you may not like my explanation.

Blu is adding this reservation, apparently, because he feels it’s necessary to ensure the tournament’s quality. Do you think that Blu just likes to trick the PvP community? Blu’s actions imply that he would rather edit the terms of the Tournament, which he is within his right to do, than randomly select 64 out of approximately 100 teams per region. If he did that, there simply would be too huge a chance that the teams who would have normally placed in the #1 – #8 spots would get robbed of their deserved win, which is deserved because they are the strongest 8 teams.

Simply put, this is a competition. It’s supposed to be as competitive as possible. When you are participating in a tournament that’s being sanctioned by a promoter and organizer of the competitive PvP community, you need to expect that policy will reflect the ideals that the best teams are trying to be prove which one is the better team. That’s a potential reason why the most competitive teams are guaranteed spots – because excluding a team that’s of the strongest #8 is a bigger risk to the preservation of the tournament’s competition.

Edit: But we will find out the truth, in Blu’s own words on the 15th.

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh

in PvP

Pyriall.5027

How can you use a prerequisite to reserve 8 spots when one was never announced? Keep it fair to everyone, I don’t think that is too much to ask.

I’ll explain again, but you may not like my explanation.

Blu is adding this reservation, apparently, because he feels it’s necessary to ensure the tournament’s quality. Do you think that Blu just likes to trick the PvP community? Blu’s actions imply that he would rather edit the terms of the Tournament, which he is within his right to do, than randomly select 64 out of approximately 100 teams per region. If he did that, there simply would be too huge a chance that the teams who would have normally placed in the #1 – #8 spots would get robbed of their deserved win, which is deserved because they are the strongest 8 teams.

Simply put, this is a competition. It’s supposed to be as competitive as possible. When you are participating in a tournament that’s being sanctioned by a promoter and organizer of the competitive PvP community, you need to expect that policy will reflect the ideals that the best teams are trying to be prove which one is the better team. That’s a potential reason why the most competitive teams are guaranteed spots – because excluding a team that’s of the strongest #8 is a bigger risk to the preservation of the tournament’s competition.

Edit: But we will find out the truth, in Blu’s own words on the 15th.

And you may not like my response. I didn’t pay Blu or Mistepedia for this game. I didn’t purchase gems to support Blu. Blu can edit the terms of his tournament all he wants, but this isn’t an issue if A-Net pulls the legendaries as a reward. So as much as you want to say this is Blu’s tournament, it isn’t. Take away those rewards and we wouldn’t be having a discussion.

in PvP

Mike.4830

This has gotten simply out of hands… To say that the 8 teams Blu picks are “biased” is somewhat true, but ridiculous.. He isn’t picking his best buddies, he is picking the best teams… GF and 55 HP Monks don’t hang out with him on the weekends, they simply are acquaintances from playing in almost every tourney. To say that his picks are unfair is just crazy… to not guarantee a team like GF a spot would destroy this tourny. GF is known right now as one of if not the best team NA… they have been playing as a team for many months, and even hosted their own invitational tourney. I really don’t see how there is even a discussion on this. ALSO only 8 teams are being selected, which i guarantee, those 8 “biased” teams will ALL make it to the top 16 unless they knock each other out. AND the winner of this tourney will be a team from those 8… guaranteed… And all this complaining, for what? 56 teams are still being randomly selected… This tourney is OPEN TO ALL…. to say that the players who have been PvPing for months and years and have reigned dominate, should not be in a tourney, will not only destroy the competitiveness of the tourney but cause these players to quit… people saying the top 8 teams being picked to play is unfair, is close to the suggestion that no top teams should even be allowed to play…. THIS IS CRAZY.. HF losing to the top teams NA… Im not sure if all of this rage from PvErs is because they are used to fairness and equal skill and lack of competition, but whatever it is, please take it back to your PvE Forums
EDIT: TO those saying that the rewards are given by ANet therefore they control it is silly.. every tourney and I mean EVERY has been supported by ANet with gems since competitive tournaments were hosted about 3 months ago… all the 2v2 and MP tourneys, the GF invitational.. all of them had gems given by ANet
Love Backpack

Backpack God

(edited by Mike.4830)

in PvP

Chaith.8256

He might be able to build a team that could place in the prize bracket – you don’t have to single out a certain team and compare. That’s why randomization of the last 56 teams is not ideal.. even so, the 8 team reservation is a step in the right direction.

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh

in PvP

Rezz.8019

I just hope that Anet will learn from this and organise the tournaments themselves next time rather than depending on some teenager.

Anyway, I gave it my best here on this thread.. I guess we’ll see how it goes.

All is vain.

in PvP

Darek.1836

Can we please just take Five Guages idea so I won’t commit suicide after our top 100 team doesn’t win the rng game, thanks ..

Holy
Sharks With Lazers [PEW]

in PvP

Pyriall.5027

What does beating Good Fights have to do with anything being discussed. This is about fairness and to assume that GF or any other “top” team has invested anymore to this game than someone else is more ludicrous than opening it up to everyone and being fair. Guaranteeing 8 random teams a spot because they participated in what? Other tournaments that were hosted by some people in the know? There could have been other tournaments that didn’t get the support of A-net and had just as strong teams. This whole elitist idea is just as bad as pvers getting crap that excluded pvpers.

in PvP

Pyriall.5027

This has gotten simply out of hands… To say that the 8 teams Blu picks are “biased” is somewhat true, but ridiculous.. He isn’t picking his best buddies, he is picking the best teams… GF and 55 HP Monks don’t hang out with him on the weekends, they simply are acquaintances from playing in almost every tourney. To say that his picks are unfair is just crazy… to not guarantee a team like GF a spot would destroy this tourny. GF is known right now as one of if not the best team NA… they have been playing as a team for many months, and even hosted their own invitational tourney. I really don’t see how there is even a discussion on this. ALSO only 8 teams are being selected, which i guarantee, those 8 “biased” teams will ALL make it to the top 16 unless they knock each other out. AND the winner of this tourney will be a team from those 8… guaranteed… And all this complaining, for what? 56 teams are still being randomly selected… This tourney is OPEN TO ALL…. to say that the players who have been PvPing for months and years and have reigned dominate, should not be in a tourney, will not only destroy the competitiveness of the tourney but cause these players to quit… people saying the top 8 teams being picked to play is unfair, is close to the suggestion that no top teams should even be allowed to play…. THIS IS CRAZY.. HF losing to the top teams NA… Im not sure if all of this rage from PvErs is because they are used to fairness and equal skill and lack of competition, but whatever it is, please take it back to your PvE Forums
EDIT: TO those saying that the rewards are given by ANet therefore they control it is silly.. every tourney and I mean EVERY has been supported by ANet with gems since competitive tournaments were hosted about 3 months ago… all the 2v2 and MP tourneys, the GF invitational.. all of them had gems given by ANet
Love Backpack

Have them pull those legendaries and see what happens.

in PvP

Chaith.8256

And you may not like my response. I didn’t pay Blu or Mistepedia for this game. I didn’t purchase gems to support Blu. Blu can edit the terms of his tournament all he wants, but this isn’t an issue if A-Net pulls the legendaries as a reward. So as much as you want to say this is Blu’s tournament, it isn’t. Take away those rewards and we wouldn’t be having a discussion.

Arenanet has an equal obligation to everyone who’s purchased gems, sure. That’s the flimsiest of points when you consider they either put Blu in charge of ensuring the tournament is organized well, or these are decisions from Arenanet themselves.

The tournament will be as competitive as possible as a priority, as opposed to making an equal opportunity loot piniata for all supporters of Arenanet. Teams are reserved, and seeded.

Attachments:

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh

in PvP

Pyriall.5027

He might be able to build a team that could place in the prize bracket – you don’t have to single out a certain team and compare. That’s why randomization of the last 56 teams is not ideal.. even so, the 8 team reservation is a step in the right direction.

I would be curious as to your position if you didn’t stand to benefit from those 8 reserved slots.

in PvP

Mike.4830

What does beating Good Fights have to do with anything being discussed. This is about fairness and to assume that GF or any other “top” team has invested anymore to this game than someone else is more ludicrous than opening it up to everyone and being fair. Guaranteeing 8 random teams a spot because they participated in what? Other tournaments that were hosted by some people in the know? There could have been other tournaments that didn’t get the support of A-net and had just as strong teams. This whole elitist idea is just as bad as pvers getting crap that excluded pvpers.

This is competitive PvP, Elitism is necessary

Backpack God

in PvP

Pyriall.5027

Arenanet has an equal obligation to everyone who’s purchased gems, sure. That’s the flimsiest of points when you consider they either put Blu in charge of ensuring the tournament is organized well, or these are decisions from Arenanet themselves.

The tournament will be as competitive as possible as a priority, as opposed to making an equal opportunity loot piniata for all supporters of Arenanet. Teams are reserved, and seeded.

Flimsiest of points? Blu was given preference because no one else is shout casting. I have spectated a lot of these tournaments and to say they are well run is being too generous.

The tournament can be just as competitive with a random selection of 64 teams.

in PvP

Mike.4830

The more I think about this the more I realize that none of this should be random…… Obviously prelims are out of the question, but prior tournament experience, leaderboard rank, and general “known” skill. This tournament should be as competitive as possible. Obviously its open to all, but that doesnt mean we should place Dragon Slayers over Ravagers… As far as competitiveness is concerned, just because they final score between Tryias Finest and Dragon Bashers is 500-480 doesnt mean it was a good game, I think everyone is in consensus that watching GF lose to Outplayed by Children 500-400, would be a much better game to watch…. Rather than looking at competitiveness as others mistakes, see it as others successes

Backpack God

(edited by Mike.4830)

in PvP

Pyriall.5027

The more I think about this the more I realize that none of this should be random…… Obviously prelims are out of the question, but prior tournament experience, leaderboard rank, and general “known” skill. This tournament should be as competitive as possible. Obviously its open to all, but that doesnt mean we should place Dragon Slayers over Ravagers…

And that would have been fine if they announced qualifying criteria well in advance of the tournament.

in PvP

Chaith.8256

I would be curious as to your position if you didn’t stand to benefit from those 8 reserved slots.

You mean, would I be against reserving the spots for the 8 most likely teams to win?

Seeing as the reservations only hurt my hypothetical chances of not getting into the tournament from 46% to 54% if there were 100 signed up per region.. I figure it’s pretty meaningless seeing as there’s already an inevitable chance that RNG wouldn’t choose me for entry.

If I only acted out of self interest, I would probably say “no thanks” to reserved spots because it hurts my chances of getting to whack the free loot piniata, but if I thought about actually taking this tournament seriously, and preferred to see some later bracket, streamed matches, of people playing at a high level instead of what looks like the Solo Queue content that I see every day, then I would say yes to the reserved spots.

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh