I will still play.

PvE and WvW

NOT PvP until the kittening next patch

Will you still play if patch sucks?

in PvP

Posted by: KrisHQ.4719

KrisHQ.4719

Just to correct a few assumptions:
A lot of people have left the game, but still stick around on the forums because we find it interesting to follow the development of the game. We hope that some day (might be in a year) the game will have changed for the better, so we can come back.
It does not take much time to read a few threads and/or reply.
So technically a lot of us are not playing the game, just watching the forum

On topic:
Im almost certain the patch won’t make me come back, but if it’s game-changing enough I might take a few games.

Lysis Kawahara – D/D Elementalist
Zaphiel Faires – DPS Guardian

in PvP

Posted by: Dardamaniac.1295

Dardamaniac.1295

You play.Patch Will still Suck.
There, i fix it for you.

in PvP

Posted by: Kwll.1468

Kwll.1468

This patch is almost guarantee to be underwhelming because as far as I know all it contains is some class enhancements and no major quality of life fixes that are killing this game like lack of decent rewards, meaningless leaderboards because of awful decay system, and bad matchmaking. Not that class balance isn’t important but there are just some quality of life things that are destroying pvp that go far beyond balance. What good are balanced classes when you have a matchmaking system that throws in rank 1 people with rank 50 people.

in PvP

Posted by: Archaon.6245

Archaon.6245

I’m ready for those big changes, for this great pvp patch everyone’s waiting since months fixing all pvp issues and lamefest we have and bringing decent rewards to pvp community. This is gonna be The Great One and i know anet’s devs worked so much on this so…

I installed gta5

(edited by Archaon.6245)

in PvP

Posted by: Excalibur.9748

Excalibur.9748

you mean it can get worse than right now?

All is vain.

in PvP

Archaon.6245

Sure…playing pvp since start taught me to never think it can’t get worse…it always can, devs are apparently working much on this..from removing gems from tpvp to giving us skyhammer and so on..

(edited by Archaon.6245)

in PvP

Posted by: Shukran.4851

Shukran.4851

Sure…playing pvp since start taught me to never think it can’t get worse…it always can, devs are apparently working much on this..from removing gems from tpvp to giving us skyhammer and so on..

but still you are playing, don’t you?

in PvP

Posted by: Mrbig.8019

Mrbig.8019

Every time I go on these forums Its only to get even more depressed

This could be part of the problem. If you enjoy GW2, play it. If you don’t enjoy it, stop.

The only option that doesn’t make sense is kind of enjoying it, but then going to the forums to talk about how bad it is, then logging in and playing for a bit, then logging out and going back to the forums.

So you mean ppl that write stuff here, enjoying the game? The majority of us is still here because the game has potential and there is some little hope left, which have been completely shattered by the development for several times (that’s why ppl tend to write cynical and negative)

I’m being completely sincere. If you don’t enjoy playing the game, don’t force yourself to stick around just because it has “potential.” That’s a waste of your own time.

If it’s not fun for you without _ (better leaderboards, balance tweak X, etc) it won’t be fun for you with _, either.

Nevir, you are one of the few people on the forum with a good sense of perspective.

I am not even sure what most of the people who say “the game had potential but Anet ruined it” want. What will make the patch good enough for the whining to subside? I just don’t see the answer from the crying here, it just seems like mindless mudslinging most of the time, outside of a few people who take the time to write out exactly what they think is an issue with the game.

80 % ( maybe 90%) of PvP population plays hotjoin ( in prime time, when i was still playing, there were dozen of HJ servers FULL), this means HJ population was constantly around 800-1000 every minute.

Meanwhile soloqueue takes 15 minutes to find a match for me, and when it does i’m matched with people not even on the leaderboard ( as former top 300, but it is just an example, i had only 4 days to climb the ladder before leaving).

Of course nobody joins solo queue. Team queue is even worse.

Meanwhile 800-1000 people per minutes play hotjoin, not playing the game as it had been designed ( killing each others randomly) OR glory farming OR doing dailyies.

I think this is a really good observation and we, or rather the devs, need to think about why its happening.

It’s very simple to understand why it happens.

It’s not about “more people playing unranked, like any other game”, it’s about that the very system is designed to reward you better if you don’t play the way the game should be played.

Glory gives you rewards, glory is obtained via killing. Conquest is not about killing.

tPvP has no real rewards aside few easy accessible skins, there’re no rewards for playing the game and you’re rewarded for not playing ( leadeboards).

You’ve no incentives to play the game competitively, while you get incentives ( more glory, chest, finishers, bags) to play the game NOT ONLY not competitively, but ALSO in the most wrong way possible.

Again, the whole system needs to be rehauled, and the fact they’re not doing it has also a clear answer: since the biggest part of the PvP population plays hotjoins for these very reasons, removing them would make this “spoiled” population to stop playing PvP, basically showing how the system was broken from the start and how unhealthy the PvP part of this game is, since without hotjoins all the people left would be those few hundred people playing tPvP for the lulz ( since nobody high ranked plays anymore).

I would be scared too to take any action, thus they do nothing.

And we complain as usual.

in PvP

Posted by: felivear.1536

felivear.1536

Every time I go on these forums Its only to get even more depressed

This could be part of the problem. If you enjoy GW2, play it. If you don’t enjoy it, stop.

The only option that doesn’t make sense is kind of enjoying it, but then going to the forums to talk about how bad it is, then logging in and playing for a bit, then logging out and going back to the forums.

So you mean ppl that write stuff here, enjoying the game? The majority of us is still here because the game has potential and there is some little hope left, which have been completely shattered by the development for several times (that’s why ppl tend to write cynical and negative)

I’m being completely sincere. If you don’t enjoy playing the game, don’t force yourself to stick around just because it has “potential.” That’s a waste of your own time.

If it’s not fun for you without _ (better leaderboards, balance tweak X, etc) it won’t be fun for you with _, either.

Nevir, you are one of the few people on the forum with a good sense of perspective.

I am not even sure what most of the people who say “the game had potential but Anet ruined it” want. What will make the patch good enough for the whining to subside? I just don’t see the answer from the crying here, it just seems like mindless mudslinging most of the time, outside of a few people who take the time to write out exactly what they think is an issue with the game.

80 % ( maybe 90%) of PvP population plays hotjoin ( in prime time, when i was still playing, there were dozen of HJ servers FULL), this means HJ population was constantly around 800-1000 every minute.

Meanwhile soloqueue takes 15 minutes to find a match for me, and when it does i’m matched with people not even on the leaderboard ( as former top 300, but it is just an example, i had only 4 days to climb the ladder before leaving).

Of course nobody joins solo queue. Team queue is even worse.

Meanwhile 800-1000 people per minutes play hotjoin, not playing the game as it had been designed ( killing each others randomly) OR glory farming OR doing dailyies.

I think this is a really good observation and we, or rather the devs, need to think about why its happening.

It’s not about “more people playing unranked, like any other game”, it’s about that the very system is designed to reward you better if you don’t play the way the game should be played.

Glory gives you rewards, glory is obtained via killing. Conquest is not about killing.

tPvP has no real rewards aside few easy accessible skins, there’re no rewards for playing the game and you’re rewarded for not playing ( leadeboards).

You’ve no incentives to play the game competitively, while you get incentives ( more glory, chest, finishers, bags) to play the game NOT ONLY not competitively, but ALSO in the most wrong way possible.

Again, the whole system needs to be rehauled, and the fact they’re not doing it has also a clear answer: since the biggest part of the PvP population plays hotjoins for these very reasons, removing them would make this “spoiled” population to stop playing PvP, basically showing how the system was broken from the start and how unhealthy the PvP part of this game is, since without hotjoins all the people left would be those few hundred people playing tPvP for the lulz ( since nobody high ranked plays anymore).

^This, this, and this

feLIVEar: Your resident forum king.

in PvP

Archaon.6245

Hope is the last one to die..

in PvP

Posted by: Empathetic Fighter.2065

Empathetic Fighter.2065

Especially after years of GW1 PvP

Read It Backwards [BooN]

in PvP

Archaon.6245

Exactly…you just keep saying yourself “This is pvp in a game called guild wars…it MUST get better…can’t suck forever…” When you’ve been for something like 7 years on a game you simply don’t want to believe they ruined everything…even if facts say the complete opposite..call it fanboy’s regrets…but that’s it

(edited by Archaon.6245)

in PvP

Posted by: Flamfloz.6732

Flamfloz.6732

I know that I’m in a minority, but I play for “fun” not “rewards” in general.
Fun is pleasure, pleasure is rewarding. I don’t find “in game rewards” inherently “fun”.
Trying builds, playing a close game, winning a fight against a good player is fun. I don’t care if my character is wearing a shiny sword or a wooden sword, a cool armor or kittenty armor. It doesn’t make those fights more fun, it only makes my character look better (this is only the icing on the cake for me, and I am happy to build up a better looking character while I’m having fun).

The reason to play hotjoin is for a quick game, without worrying too much about consequences, playing seriously, using original/troll/unique builds that wouldn’t do well at all in ranked games (where people with optimised builds would roll over me).
I find it fun to play all sorts of classes, all sorts of builds and try different combinations.
The reason why I play ranked games is to get a good challenge, a close game, and feel that I’ve had to fight to win (hotjoin feels unchallenging, chaotic and random – which is also part of its fun).

As for the OP, I will probably try some new builds/skills in HJ it they change stuff significantly.

in PvP

Posted by: MaXi.3642

MaXi.3642

i really like this game, even with some things which i miss from the time i was playing WoW… but the PvP state is awfull and the speed how they fix balance problems is even worse… dont even need to speak about a fact that 1 profession wasnt even played on their esport tournament, if that doesnt tell them something, i dont know what will… so im very curious what will next patch bring and if it will be fun to play this game again

in PvP

Posted by: Brew Pinch.5731

Brew Pinch.5731

The real answer is not to spend too much time on these forums (Or any PvP games forums for that matter). They are a cesspit of negativity with users feeding off eachothers ignorance to imagine things are worse and worse every time they come back.

Truth is this game has some of the best balance on the market.

GW2 has such a high skill ceiling, that you see new/unskilled players completely destroyed and they are used to this being the fault of balance/gear from other games so they head to the forums to complain without ever considering that they might have just been outplayed.

TL;DR. kitten isn’t all that bad, get off the forums for a while, they are bad for your mentality.

in PvP

Posted by: Zinwrath.2049

Zinwrath.2049

As someone who simply roams several games forums in downtime on my phone commuting. I can say I wont be coming back either way, haven’t played in months just read occasionally for perspective.

The truth is the game’s biggest issues are at its core. And the design team continues to dance around them and ignore them. I don’t believe that will change… However, if the patch was epicly huge and perhaps added a new game mode I MIGHT try it out for a day or two. But at this point highly unlikely, I even updated and downloaded to play super adventure box, and ended up being too wrapped up in other games pvp seasons to get around to it.

Short answer, wont play even if it is good….it would have to be an improvement beyond their capabilities as a team.

EDIT: I am beta testing a few other games with similar combat. I can say I think this game is way behind by that perspective and most likely is about to get left behind in the coming months without massive change. I only read this games updates on occasion for perspective, so I can give accurate comparison and feedback. Not because I plan to return.

(edited by Zinwrath.2049)

in PvP

Posted by: Alhadin.4032

Alhadin.4032

For OP:

NO and NO, NO, NO

in PvP

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

Exactly…you just keep saying yourself “This is pvp in a game called guild wars…it MUST get better…can’t suck forever…” When you’ve been for something like 7 years on a game you simply don’t want to believe they ruined everything…even if facts say the complete opposite..call it fanboy’s regrets…but that’s it

Am I the only one that thought PvP got progressively bad and unbalance or are u guys just focusing on the fact that gw1 game modes?

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

in PvP

Archaon.6245

Am I the only one that thought PvP got progressively bad and unbalance or are u guys just focusing on the fact that gw1 game modes?

Oh progressively bad and not fun to play for sure AND game modes…

in PvP

Archaon.6245

In short words first thing that ruined gw2 is that “casual friendly” mentality imo that kills competitive playing since start. As i said contless times…make this game casual friendly OR competitive…you can’t do both otherwise you’ll end up with this kitten. And from my very own point of view pvp can’t be “for casuals” …pve and wvsw are made for casual players but pvp must be competitive, must require skills (And not just fotm builds and spam) to win and must reward those who win with something actually WORTH the effort you put into going tpvp

(edited by Archaon.6245)

in PvP

silvermember.8941

Oh progressively bad and not fun to play for sure AND game modes…

Except that teh recent tournament seem to show that a good team can easily overcome those OP classes…as long as they don’t bring an ele.

Anyways, the balance in gw1 made gw2 looks like a little kitten. And so the only advantage is the game modes, which will be kind of nice to have, as long as it is not tdm.

in PvP

Shukran.4851

FYI , but you already know this you just deny it, they called gw2 “gw(2)” because of the lore of the previous game. instead of thinking about “This is pvp in a game called guild wars…it MUST get better…can’t suck forever…” think about “this game should have been called World of Tyria, it has nothing to do with gw1’s gvg&pvp”, then you will see the best way to wait is to stop playing it , come on forum sometimes and understand u did the right choice day by day.
consider it is since february(month i stopped playing) i come here and laugh at this section of the forum. and every day i know that was the best thing i did on this game. you should try..noone force you to play neither to stop playing for a week/month/best patch ever.

in PvP

Mrbig.8019

I know that I’m in a minority, but I play for “fun” not “rewards” in general.
Fun is pleasure, pleasure is rewarding. I don’t find “in game rewards” inherently “fun”.
Trying builds, playing a close game, winning a fight against a good player is fun. I don’t care if my character is wearing a shiny sword or a wooden sword, a cool armor or kittenty armor. It doesn’t make those fights more fun, it only makes my character look better (this is only the icing on the cake for me, and I am happy to build up a better looking character while I’m having fun).

The reason to play hotjoin is for a quick game, without worrying too much about consequences, playing seriously, using original/troll/unique builds that wouldn’t do well at all in ranked games (where people with optimised builds would roll over me).
I find it fun to play all sorts of classes, all sorts of builds and try different combinations.
The reason why I play ranked games is to get a good challenge, a close game, and feel that I’ve had to fight to win (hotjoin feels unchallenging, chaotic and random – which is also part of its fun).

As for the OP, I will probably try some new builds/skills in HJ it they change stuff significantly.

i can understand it.

The point is that if you want to develop a healthy PvP community and system, you need rewards and incentives.

If those are present, even an awful balance can be sorta “overcame”, since the PvP can be competitive and you’re rewarded for it.

This is not the case with Gw2 of course, and since rewards are not there, balance issues become prevalent too. Even if rewards are added, balance issues will still be prevalent since we’re not used to the good infrastructure and our “perspective” of the game will still be " the game is not enjoyable anyway".

So now they need to do an huge work with balance, infrastructure and rewards in order to sort things up, unless it is really too late ( it has been more than a month i’ve not been playing anymore, so i don’t really know how the situation is, but i bet it’s been getting worse).

It’s ok to cather to casuals, but the infrastructure for the game to be competitive HAS to exist ( rewards, working features, decent balance) otherwise the game will die.

And the game is dying.

in PvP

Archaon.6245

FYI , but you already know this you just deny it, they called gw2 “gw(2)” because of the lore of the previous game. instead of thinking about “This is pvp in a game called guild wars…it MUST get better…can’t suck forever…” think about “this game should have been called World of Tyria, it has nothing to do with gw1’s gvg&pvp”, then you will see the best way to wait is to stop playing it , come on forum sometimes and understand u did the right choice day by day.
consider it is since february(month i stopped playing) i come here and laugh at this section of the forum. and every day i know that was the best thing i did on this game. you should try..noone force you to play neither to stop playing for a week/month/best patch ever.

I’m already thinking bout a…let’s call it pause..if 15th patch sux, almost lost all hopes (Even from a fanboy’s point of view xD) and as they said this is going to be a big pvp patch…big fixes or big kitten i dunno..but after this I’ll see what to do..last chance to anet for me.

in PvP

Posted by: Killthehealersffs.8940

Killthehealersffs.8940

In short words first thing that ruined gw2 is that “casual friendly” mentality imo that kills competitive playing since start. As i said contless times…make this game casual friendly OR competitive…you can’t do both otherwise you’ll end up with this kitten. And from my very own point of view pvp can’t be “for casuals” …pve and wvsw are made for casual players but pvp must be competitive, must require skills (And not just fotm builds and spam) to win and must reward those who win with something actually WORTH the effort you put into going tpvp

Hey , this is our fault (community) :P
We asked classes to be brought up – buffed > do more dps > be more subtain
Because nerfing things , would make the game not so much enganging or thrilling . :P

Lets see , now they are buffing the <<defensive mechanics>> of each class , if that will do the trick
And later on when offence countered by defence mechanics , they can freely introduce more fun cookies :P

(edited by Killthehealersffs.8940)

in PvP

Archaon.6245

Hey , this is our fault (community)
We asked classes to be brought up – buffed > do more dps > be more subtain
Because nerfing things , would make the game not so much enganging or thrilling . :P

Lets see , now they are buffing the <<defensive mechanics>> of each class , if that will do the trick (like warriors whos is a perfect class /no need the team8s help )
And later on when offence countered by defence mechanics , they can freely introduce more fun cookies :P

We also asked for good rewards, more modes, gvg and so on…nerf/buffs are indeeed part of an evolving game, but even if perfectly balanced (And for god’s sake this is NOT) this pvp won’t survive cause would be still boring as kitten…personal opinion anyway…thay can’t wait to perfectly balance this game for introducing new modes cause, as you can see till now, they are not able to balance stuff…at all..old casual vs competitive story..

(edited by Archaon.6245)

in PvP

Posted by: Killthehealersffs.8940

Killthehealersffs.8940

Eh … not exaclty like warrior .. sorry … little drunk :P
I mean increase the defensive mechanics to support more mass battles gameplay :P

in PvP

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

The real answer is not to spend too much time on these forums (Or any PvP games forums for that matter).

Solid advice.

in PvP

Posted by: Volrath.1473

Volrath.1473

Murphy’s Law

in PvP

Posted by: Kwll.1468

Kwll.1468

The real answer is not to spend too much time on these forums (Or any PvP games forums for that matter).

Solid advice.

So, if I avoided this forum I wouldn’t notice the lack of rewards, meaningless leaderboards, poor matchmaking, lack of game modes and mediocre balance this game has? The negativity here is because of stuff that happens in game and people come here to vent. Not the other way around. The negative tone of these forums is irrelevant as far as I am concerned. I know how i feel after a few hour session of doing solo q games and its increasinly angry and it has nothing to do with anything on this board but my own personal experience in game. The vast majority of things people complain about are issues. I’m glad you are willing to wait for months without complaining for certain features and things but a lot of us aren’t and it doesn’t make you any better then anyone else because you are.

(edited by Kwll.1468)

in PvP

Posted by: Demonts.4593

Demonts.4593

Ok. These really didn’t say a whole lot (At least i hope this isnt it) lol.

in PvP

Posted by: ryston.7640

ryston.7640

Yes, this is another QQ post, I ain’t scared to be honest since you’d have to be mentally insane to not be bothered the development speed of sPvP, or to be one of those disgusting Glory Farmers.

I believe its been 4 patches that sPvP was left to rot without any support, and yet PvE got their content every patch. Yet some still argue that PvE doesn’t have enough, I guess they are spoiled rotten. (I’m not a programmer and have no idea how long it takes to develop these new features but I don’t agree that it should take this long with good resources)

After surviving for the year of slow Spvp development, I believe its about time that I stop Guild Wars 2 if this patch goes wrong, I have been buying lots of gems in hoping to help out gw2 but I was left with barely nothing in return.

Every time I go on these forums Its only to get even more depressed by how serious/critical these issues are and how Anet doesn’t seem to give Enough kittens about it. Like having farmers get the best of rewards and leaving us dedicated PvPers pockets nearly empty. This is a CRITICAL ISSUE and it should have been HOTFIXED as SOON as POSSIBLE. Us dedicated SPvPers have been supporting this game for a full year, we have been loyal, we gave feedback, we have been giving our opinions in order to help this game out, yet these PvErs come in and get ALL THESE BEAUTIFUL FINISHERS and TITLES by kittening FARMING! everything that took us huge amounts of our time to acquire.

Now i’d like to know you guys opinion, if the patch is bad, are you willing to put up with this crap for another 2 months or 4 patches, or are you going to give up?

dude im sorry but youre a sucker.

GW2 launched without key pvp infastructure and, from the looks of it, one guy to program it and 3 people to strategise how he spends his time… they did so poorly, btw. whomever thought paid tournaments was going to work doesnt understand the internet, and ignored about a dozen threads saying so.

This game will never be the spiritual successor to gw1 pvp, not even anything good.

if you want fun mtg inspired pvp games to throw money at, look up a kickstarter.

Blizzard made Diablo 3…

fans made Path of Exile.

GW1 will have it’s sequel, someone somewhere is working on it im sure. But it wont come from these jokers who lied about what they were selling you.

in PvP

Posted by: Fortus.6175

Fortus.6175

The game is beautiful, i dont mind only one game mode, I actually enjoy most maps, but i have one, big gripe, and that is balance.

Anet doesnt have the resources (sadly) to deal with it, Eles keep deteriorating, yet people [devs] still keep saying they are “ok” when they had around the same MLG representation as there was ….cant think of anything witty to say, but I blame the sadness that comes from seeing 0 representation of eles at high level gameplay.

Eles have literally no way to survive; , no aegis, no blocks, cantrips on 90 secs CD and selfish, guards do the same on 20 secs, lowest hp and armor in the game, damage doesnt even make up for it, heals got nerfed, a guard does a way better job while pumping out the same if not more damage, heck, even warrior with their highest hp in the game can have the best healing per second in the game by doind literally nothing, but apparentl our healing signet needed to be have its healing nerfed in half , to make it match not even 1/3 of the warriors signet, which doesnt need to waste a single skill to get some healing, and still have 3 times the hp……

w/e, I dont want to turn this thread into antoher rant, the PvP balance, simply put, sucks.

[GoM] Gate of Madness Server Elementalist|Guardian
Legendary SoloQ

in PvP

Posted by: Demonts.4593

Demonts.4593

Eles have good ways to survive. In fact ive seen some of the top ele’s duel top d/p thieves and the eles just dominated

in PvP

Posted by: katniss.6735

katniss.6735

Add stealth traps to spvp!

Server: Maguuma – Leafy Lass – Elementalist (WvW)
Guild: Bill Murray [Bill]/ [DERP]
twitch.tv/mlgw2

in PvP

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

It’s about time you slap yourself out it. Waiting for Godot is an effort in both futility and frustration, after all.

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363

in PvP

Posted by: Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

I think the people in this thread will stick around for after the patch since they get the most enjoyment out of laughing at this games development and the hilarious ragepost after the patch..

I know for one that I will stay around, farm skyhammer for rank*, open a chest on my parked char, travel back and forth between wvw and the mists to crank up the population numbers ^^, join hotjoins and drop out once a day for the lulz, farm some bosses if one would spawn in the time that im online, do a hotjoin and focus the lowes rank for a couple of matches so he drops out in despair, making a trial account and drop all my saved up siege in useless places, then i would go to cof, and lead a a party to the end, and quickly leave so the whole party gets kicked out, and numerous outher thing…

Iow. helping anet to make sure this game is dead as soon as possible

54 infractions and counting because a moderator doesn’t understand a joke when he/she sees it.
E.A.D.

in PvP

Archaon.6245

It’s about time you slap yourself out it. Waiting for Godot is an effort in both futility and frustration, after all.

Sad but true you’re right i guess

in PvP

Posted by: Yasha.5963

Yasha.5963

Yeah I agree with your reasoning here. However, instead of taking away current rewards for hotjoin/glory, if rewards were boosted and/or new rewards introduced for solo/tourney wins (I have many ideas for that!) I think you could keep hotjoiners happy and incentivise the more competitive side.

Having a high population of casual/hotjoin is important for the game too, but one of the problems with spvp is like you said, that solo/team queue needs to be more popular.

There is one thing you didn’t touch on that keeps tourney play down, and that is the perception of it being too hard. I started playing the game at launch but I didn’t play tourney for a long time because I didn’t think I was good enough. Many people I meet in hotjoin say similar things about why they don’t play tourney. I don’t know what the answer is to this issue, and on the other hand I really hate it when people with no clue end up on the same solo team as me.

Also, perhaps I am just naïve, but I truly believe the devs do their utmost to make the game great, although I don’t agree with all their decisions. At any rate, its going to take more than the upcoming patch to address the issues in your post, but I’ll likely still be playing.

in PvP

Mrbig.8019

Yeah I agree with your reasoning here. However, instead of taking away current rewards for hotjoin/glory, if rewards were boosted and/or new rewards introduced for solo/tourney wins (I have many ideas for that!) I think you could keep hotjoiners happy and incentivise the more competitive side.

Having a high population of casual/hotjoin is important for the game too, but one of the problems with spvp is like you said, that solo/team queue needs to be more popular.

There is one thing you didn’t touch on that keeps tourney play down, and that is the perception of it being too hard. I started playing the game at launch but I didn’t play tourney for a long time because I didn’t think I was good enough. Many people I meet in hotjoin say similar things about why they don’t play tourney. I don’t know what the answer is to this issue, and on the other hand I really hate it when people with no clue end up on the same solo team as me.

Also, perhaps I am just naïve, but I truly believe the devs do their utmost to make the game great, although I don’t agree with all their decisions. At any rate, its going to take more than the upcoming patch to address the issues in your post, but I’ll likely still be playing.

The main reason why tourneys are seen as “too hard” is , again , system fault.

Hotjoin doesn’t teach you how to play, the rewards system doesn’t teach you how to play.

People playing hotjoin up to rank 50 have absolutely no idea how to play, most of the time they’re not even skilled enough to even step in tourney due to running totally selfish builds ( like shatter mesm with double stealth+ blink+ mass invisibility, or P/D stealth spam thieves).

If you keep the rewards this way and THEY WAY they’re awarded, people will never learn, will think tourneys are too hard, nobody will steap out from HJ.

At the same time, if you change HJ to make them similar to “other games” unranked matches ( so you give glory ONLY to the winning team, rebalance the ratio glory is given to players instead of promoting mindless killing near the point etc. etc.),
still Hotjoin population will rage because now suddenly playing requires some thinking.

It’s a dead end, in any case.

During my studies regarding business comunication and decision making, the one aNet is in is kinda one of the worst possible scenarios, where you basically need TONS of resources in order to avoid the disaster.

No matters what you do, it will be bad. Still you need to do something.

If they don’t do anything, PvP will mostly like slowly die of starving, and from a business perspective, they would be better off cutting all the resources and give them to WvW and PvE, maybe hoping WvW will flourish as the new PvP mode.

It’s just called abandonement, and it’s nothing more than a part of the life-cycle of the product, in this case of a failed one.

in PvP

Posted by: ryston.7640

ryston.7640

I think the people in this thread will stick around for after the patch since they get the most enjoyment out of laughing at this games development and the hilarious ragepost after the patch..

I know for one that I will stay around, farm skyhammer for rank*, open a chest on my parked char, travel back and forth between wvw and the mists to crank up the population numbers ^^, join hotjoins and drop out once a day for the lulz, farm some bosses if one would spawn in the time that im online, do a hotjoin and focus the lowes rank for a couple of matches so he drops out in despair, making a trial account and drop all my saved up siege in useless places, then i would go to cof, and lead a a party to the end, and quickly leave so the whole party gets kicked out, and numerous outher thing…

Iow. helping anet to make sure this game is dead as soon as possible

I give kudos, but I’m too lazy. Instead I’ll just fkame on the forums

in PvP

Posted by: Myrmidian Eudoros.4671

Myrmidian Eudoros.4671

During my studies regarding business comunication and decision making, the one aNet is in is kinda one of the worst possible scenarios, where you basically need TONS of resources in order to avoid the disaster.

If they don’t do anything, PvP will mostly like slowly die of starving, and from a business perspective, they would be better off cutting all the resources and give them to WvW and PvE, maybe hoping WvW will flourish as the new PvP mode.

It’s just called abandonement, and it’s nothing more than a part of the life-cycle of the product, in this case of a failed one.

Thanks for the second year business undergrad perspective. Your input has shown exactly why people much more educated than you are the ones that make these kinds of decisions.

Yes, the tPvP product is in a bad place at the moment, but “abandonment” in this instance is a guaranteed loser surrendering market share where the competition is weak and foregoing any opportunity at future profits. The kind of short-term strategy that you suggest here is what runs companies into the ground. Stay in school my friend. If you break your femur you don’t amputate the leg. You sink some resources, get a cast and get it healed up.

in PvP

Dardamaniac.1295

I certainly dont like the way the announced this balance patch:
“We’ve made a balance pass on existing skills and traits with a focus on improving support builds in all parts of the game for all professions.”

So this huge balance patch that we all have been waiting is a balance pass on existing skills and traits with a focus on improving support builds….So a logical assumption will be that skills and traits wont be changed if its not focused on support builds.

Im sceptical now

in PvP

Shukran.4851

Thanks for the second year business undergrad perspective. Your input has shown exactly why people much more educated than you are the ones that make these kinds of decisions.

Yes, the tPvP product is in a bad place at the moment, but “abandonment” in this instance is a guaranteed loser surrendering market share where the competition is weak and foregoing any opportunity at future profits. The kind of short-term strategy that you suggest here is what runs companies into the ground. Stay in school my friend. If you break your femur you don’t amputate the leg. You sink some resources, get a cast and get it healed up.

im not studying that stuff, but looking at dev’s answers on new topics, how they stated that conquest was the best (and only) mode available for pvp, make me think that what MrBig says is not so out of contest. and thinking about less resources for tpvp and more for the rest is not so wrong thinking from where anet is making money out.. maybe a more polite post by your side could have been better way to explain stuff… anyway gl

in PvP

Posted by: Chromosome.7498

Chromosome.7498

They need resources and better management.

They need first a brain, and a lot a self-criticism to admit that their game in Spvp suck !

in PvP

silvermember.8941

They need resources and better management.

They need first a brain, and a lot a self-criticism to admit that their game in Spvp suck !

They already indirectly admit the spvp isn’t well they want it to be, it doesn’t take a brain to realize that. if you want a public apology from Arenanet stating that spvp is bad, you probably have a better chance of getting struck by lightning.

in PvP

Posted by: Gandarel.5091

Gandarel.5091

I play less day-by-day. But this combat systeam has so much potential, and i loved GW1, would love GW2 too if we would have the GW1 gamemodes.

And since new gamemdoes are being tested, I start to have some-kind of hope again. But I don’t like this FPS style, like we have the map and can chose a gamemode.. fine for FPS, but a conquest map is just not fine for a Deathmatch. They need separated maps.

To not to split the community, they should give us a GW1 gamemode called Heroes’ Ascent, where if you get more and more rankpoints for each consecutive win, different maps with different gamemodes follow each other AND has reward. If theat would happen, many would come back, and PvP would definitely be more attractive.

Captain Deutschland, Ozzy The Insane, Hanz Limbchewer – r40+ mes/nec/engi Desolation
Fear The Crazy [Huns]

in PvP

Dardamaniac.1295

This is the reason why they should make little changes and more often..No matter what they do in 15th Oct, im pretty sure nothing will change.They cant make up for almost 4-5 months of boring bad sPvP

in PvP

Mrbig.8019

That’s exactly what i’ve said. sink some resources

The point is that it doesn’t seem they want to do it.

They’re in the situation where in order to step out from the mud you need a good resource investment, so they’re to the point where they need to choose between:

A: invest a lot in the sector with the right moves trying to mend and hoping it will be able to flourish

B: progressively cut the resources and put them in a more succesful sector

This is how business works, as you have also stated. You can be “optimistic” as much as you want but that’s just how things go.

One thing is breaking your femur, another thing is bone cancer.

And your opinion about " there’re no competitors" is aleatory, since there’re a lot of potential competitors ( Smite, Wildstar, FFIV, even LoL, etc etc) that , altough being kinda different generes, are taking from the decading Gw2 population.

That’s it.