state of the ranger?!

state of the ranger?!

in PvP

Posted by: Suprah.5076

Suprah.5076

Top teams seemed to favor a Ranger over Engineer or Mesmer. Not a great position, but to say its the worst… Some people who play at a high level seem to clearly disagree with you.

In EU at least , top team are not playing soo much anymore but they would favor 1 elem to 1 ranger now.

Mobility : Elem > Ranger
AOE Dps : Elem > Ranger
Sustain : Elem > Ranger
Group assist : Elem > Ranger
1v1 match up’s : Elem > Ranger

As it said above, the only good reason to take a ranger now is the rezz spirit, but you can clearly deal without it so …

Edit : Wanted to say aswell that ranger is not like the elementalist before 15ap, completly useless. A team can still play with ranger without being almost sure to loose the match but if this same team want to be 100% competitive she will have to replace the ranger.

since WHEN did a ele EVER beat rangers in a 1v1 ??? Or sustain for that matter.
Yes they can burst heal ridiculously well now, but even that doesn’t save them.

Since 15april.

You welcome.

Eternya
Sizzling Hot Pressure / The Civilized Gentlemen

state of the ranger?!

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Ranger is fine. The spirit ranger build is still really strong. The only difference is that they increased the benefits of using ele too much and that encourages people to use the class over a ranger.

state of the ranger?!

in PvP

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

since WHEN did a ele EVER beat rangers in a 1v1 ??? Or sustain for that matter.
Yes they can burst heal ridiculously well now, but even that doesn’t save them.

average d/d ele will wreck any average ranger no matter which build the ranger plays. and no, eles dont have any burst healing, eles have sustained healing with sustained damage and damage over time. nobody is talking about s/d gank-cannons.

are you even informed about the meta or are you just yolo posting stuff? no offense

I agree that average ele will beat average ranger. However, I think a good ranger will wreck a good ele.

state of the ranger?!

in PvP

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

i play ele and ranger… screw the meta, it is only a ezmode “play this because its the easiest build”.
I play the build I can perform the best with. Because anything else is absolutely pointless. You can join the sheeps and play the meta and perform thereafter, or you can custom tailor a build yourself and play at your best.

I do not play spirit ranger – it is a lame, boring and weak builds. Only reason people even think it’s strong, is because they got no clue of how to counter it. It is a L2P issue by far.
I do not play BM condi bunker, oh no, i play POWER bunker. Because it is harder, because it demands more movement, it demands better play. Half kitten d play with power bunker will not give you a win, because there is no conditions to do damage for you while you run around like a chicken.

What do i play? I play rabid trapper, i play clerics BM Regen bunker (2x 1 condi cleanse FTW), i play glass LB ranger. I also play SD Carrion Ele, albeit i haven’t tried that too much in PvP here in EU (did while i was in NA).

Is these builds meta? not by a longshot
Is these builds ezmode? nope, you gotta know what you do or else you get rolled over
Judging by these two answers, my builds should per forum definition be rubbish beyond belief.
However, in one week, iv’e racked up 211 kills in pvp. Granted i only play 3 matches a week day, and a bit more during weekends. In short, despite me just starting out in PvP, i got 1 year of WvW roaming behind me. I got one year of 1v3+ practice. I got one year of being trumped by every imaginable build with food buffs, oils, way higher stats and thus way cheesier setups….

I do not post videos to prove my skills, because i got nothing to prove. You either take my word, or you don’t. That is how the internet works. This is also why i clearly state my opinion and experience when others slander what i play.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

state of the ranger?!

in PvP

Posted by: Jekkt.6045

Jekkt.6045

Top teams seemed to favor a Ranger over Engineer or Mesmer. Not a great position, but to say its the worst… Some people who play at a high level seem to clearly disagree with you.

Do you know he’s THE RANGER that was chosen instead of engi or mesmer in a top team ?

and LAWL, who wouldn’t want a mes ? Mes is prolly one of the most effective profession in high end pvp.

Then he should be aware that top teams are more likely to pick Ranger then Engi or Mesmer.
So stating Ranger is, and i quote, “the worst profession”, is apparently not entirely true. As top teams do favor them over atleast two other professions.

overall ranger isnt the worst profession, at least that’s what i think. but after the patch there are classes which can do the jobs rangers did so far better.
need a close bunker? take ele because he can survive longer, is faster and better in teamfights. but after all its just a matter of choice if you want a ranger as your close point defender or something else.

the difference between a good ele and a good ranger is very small and if you let them fight each other it will take very long. if you saw the match between tcg and cc when the ele fought the ranger down at the buff on temple of silent storm you probably know what i mean.

on what we can agree though is that ranger is by all means the worst (direct) damage dealer profession and this is what i personally want to have changed.
i have yet to see a competive team which would take a power ranger instead of a thief, mesmer, power necro, sd engi, axe warrior, s/d ele or a medi guard.

Ex player of PeanutButterJellyTime, Heavenly Annoying and Visceral Gaming.

state of the ranger?!

in PvP

Prysin.8542

Do you know he’s THE RANGER that was chosen instead of engi or mesmer in a top team ?

and LAWL, who wouldn’t want a mes ? Mes is prolly one of the most effective profession in high end pvp.

Then he should be aware that top teams are more likely to pick Ranger then Engi or Mesmer.
So stating Ranger is, and i quote, “the worst profession”, is apparently not entirely true. As top teams do favor them over atleast two other professions.

overall ranger isnt the worst profession, at least that’s what i think. but after the patch there are classes which can do the jobs rangers did so far better.
need a close bunker? take ele because he can survive longer, is faster and better in teamfights. but after all its just a matter of choice if you want a ranger as your close point defender or something else.

the difference between a good ele and a good ranger is very small and if you let them fight each other it will take very long. if you saw the match between tcg and cc when the ele fought the ranger down at the buff on temple of silent storm you probably know what i mean.

on what we can agree though is that ranger is by all means the worst (direct) damage dealer profession and this is what i personally want to have changed.
i have yet to see a competive team which would take a power ranger instead of a thief, mesmer, power necro, sd engi, axe warrior, s/d ele or a medi guard.

i will grant you that, power rangers are a bit lacking atm. As you have to mostly go “yolo 1shotordai” or you do the LB railgun build. Which is good, until people do not want you around anymore. Because then you will spend the rest of the game running around trying to lose the thief off your tail, which you cannot, because sPvP arenas are too small to run away from anything.

state of the ranger?!

in PvP

Jekkt.6045

i play ele and ranger… screw the meta, it is only a ezmode “play this because its the easiest build”.
I play the build I can perform the best with. Because anything else is absolutely pointless. You can join the sheeps and play the meta and perform thereafter, or you can custom tailor a build yourself and play at your best.

playing cheese builds and playing cheese builds well is a huge difference. a skilled player with an “interesting” build can still kill other players with lower skill. i bet i could even kill players with a thief trap build no matter if its garbage or not. the problem is when you face an equally skilled player. first there are counters to some specs and professions and second there is build efficiency.

in a competive game mode its just not worth playing a freaking hard spec because sadly the game isnt based about risk and reward. so no matter how good you are if you face an opponent which is as good or better as you and uses a more efficient build its very likely that you’re going to lose or that he’s going to perform better.

there are certain “sacrifices” you have to make to be able to keep up in high lvl pvp. you will notice this when you reach the higher end of the leaderboards. you cant compare wvw roaming to tPvP as most players in WvW are just horrible.

state of the ranger?!

in PvP

Posted by: Liza.2758

Liza.2758

I do not play spirit ranger – it is a lame, boring and weak builds. Only reason people even think it’s strong, is because they got no clue of how to counter it. It is a L2P issue by far.
I do not play BM condi bunker, oh no, i play POWER bunker. Because it is harder, because it demands more movement, it demands better play. Half kitten d play with power bunker will not give you a win, because there is no conditions to do damage for you while you run around like a chicken.

What do i play? I play rabid trapper, i play clerics BM Regen bunker (2x 1 condi cleanse FTW), i play glass LB ranger. I also play SD Carrion Ele, albeit i haven’t tried that too much in PvP here in EU (did while i was in NA).

Is these builds meta? not by a longshot
Is these builds ezmode? nope, you gotta know what you do or else you get rolled over
Judging by these two answers, my builds should per forum definition be rubbish beyond belief.
However, in one week, iv’e racked up 211 kills in pvp. Granted i only play 3 matches a week day, and a bit more during weekends. In short, despite me just starting out in PvP, i got 1 year of WvW roaming behind me. I got one year of 1v3+ practice. I got one year of being trumped by every imaginable build with food buffs, oils, way higher stats and thus way cheesier setups….

I do not post videos to prove my skills, because i got nothing to prove. You either take my word, or you don’t. That is how the internet works. This is also why i clearly state my opinion and experience when others slander what i play.

lol so much blablabla in this one.

Ppl plays or used to play spirit ranger because group support / buffs.

dont just judge thing on your solo Q games

state of the ranger?!

in PvP

Prysin.8542

well let me ask you then Jekkt;
Have you played trapper ranger? Have you played against it?

It is a non-meta build that will implode anything that steps onto a point. It is a simple “i own this piece of land” build. Bunker guards, hambows, 222 thieves, p/d thieves, PU mesmers, AR decap engis, power necro, condi necro, BM bunker – Anything melts to that build. It does not care if you got 10 cleanses, because you will burn all 10 within 7 seconds, 7 seconds later and your traps are coming off cooldown again.

in EU i play yoloQ, in NA i only played teamQ with guildies. Since you’re from stackgate, you may have heard of this guild, it’s called TORK…. it tends to steal your stuff in EBG….

(edited by Prysin.8542)

state of the ranger?!

in PvP

Posted by: Oidmetala.8426

Oidmetala.8426

well let me ask you then Jekkt;
Have you played trapper ranger? Have you played against it?

It is a non-meta build that will implode anything that steps onto a point. It is a simple “i own this piece of land” build. Bunker guards, hambows, 222 thieves, p/d thieves, PU mesmers, AR decap engis, power necro, condi necro, BM bunker – Anything melts to that build. It does not care if you got 10 cleanses, because you will burn all 10 within 7 seconds, 7 seconds later and your traps are coming off cooldown again.

in EU i play yoloQ, in NA i only played teamQ with guildies. Since you’re from stackgate, you may have heard of this guild, it’s called TORK…. it tends to steal your stuff in EBG….

ok, please stop the troll now…

Team Erotic Solitude Legends [ESL]
Spirit Ranger Yilvina Darnus
Bunker Guardian Morwenna Darnus

state of the ranger?!

in PvP

Prysin.8542

you haven’t played a trapper before, have you? Kinda obvious.

in 4 months of PvP, iv’e only seen ONE other trapper, even in random YoloQ

state of the ranger?!

in PvP

Oidmetala.8426

you haven’t played a trapper before, have you? Kinda obvious.

in 4 months of PvP, iv’e only seen ONE other trapper, even in random YoloQ

i played everything and tryed everything on ranger,
also just because i play this profession since beta.

i tryed much around after the last patch and i also tryed trapper, its simply not viable.
don’t even need to waste time to complain…

i played really much games on my ranger with trapper btw.
it was long viable after the release, if you know that and it was also the reason why i startet to play ranger, because it was fun, but actually its just not strong

(edited by Oidmetala.8426)

state of the ranger?!

in PvP

Prysin.8542

ok, not aiming this at you personally, but honestly this “i played since beta” is the most ridiculous statement ever. Being here since beta means that either you are being stubborn about playing, or that you played during beta, ragequite and came back later.
“playing since beta” has about as much credit as saying “i did it before it was cool”. It has no weight behind it, is all “huffing and puffing” childish “i was here first”.

Thing is, because one happened to be there first, does not even remotely make one the best, not even the most experienced, since ingame time spent= experience = skill.
Time existed = time.

So ya, my 2 cents on those statements.

state of the ranger?!

in PvP

Posted by: Suprah.5076

Suprah.5076

“i played since beta” is the most ridiculous statement ever.

“The most ridiculous statement ever” is more the guy who think he is a “PvP” player because he spent 1 year in WvW hitting doors or players even more bad than the doors :P

Each post you do we just can see that you know nothing about the PvP, so can you just please stop replying and let experienced ppl having a proper conversation ?

Eternya
Sizzling Hot Pressure / The Civilized Gentlemen

state of the ranger?!

in PvP

Oidmetala.8426

ok prysin, forget it.
go to page 1 and read the second post there, from Keksmuffin.1450
(a verry skilled offguardian player btw)

should be enough

state of the ranger?!

in PvP

Prysin.8542

“i played since beta” is the most ridiculous statement ever.

“The most ridiculous statement ever” is more the guy who think he is a “PvP” player because he spent 1 year in WvW hitting doors or players even more bad than the doors :P

Each post you do we just can see that you know nothing about the PvP, so can you just please stop replying and let experienced ppl having a proper conversation ?

If only you were a quarter as well mannered as your fellow guild/team member. Now that would be something, wouldn’kitten

state of the ranger?!

in PvP

Posted by: infantrydiv.1620

infantrydiv.1620

Prysin, get a clue.

Clerics BM bunker? Talk about a selfish, bad build.

Traps? What would be the reason to take a ranger with no stunbreaks over a necro/engineer which has more repeatable AoE damage and utility?

By the way, neither traps nor BM take more skill than spirits, so hop down off your high horse. In fact, BM ranger is one of the most mechanically easy builds in the game to play, either clerics or settlers.

Traps = lay them down on point, reapply immediately after enemy steps in them. Such skill. Wow.

Please head back to the WvW forums

Ranger//Necro

state of the ranger?!

in PvP

Jekkt.6045

About trappers, if im not mistaken that build was one of the first tpvp ranger specs before itank-petkillsu specs came up. And trapper was regarded as easy mode too. When people noticed that there were better builds they moved on.

You can compare trap ranger to something like a bomb and grenade spam engi with higher cooldowns on traps than kits. And of course less effective.

state of the ranger?!

in PvP

Posted by: Wraithen.6059

Wraithen.6059

armor does matter in PvP, at least body legs and one more piece which i cant think of right now.

Flat out wrong. All that is required to test is remove your armor and see your stats do not change.

(edited by Wraithen.6059)

state of the ranger?!

in PvP

Jekkt.6045

armor does matter in PvP, at least body legs and one more piece which i cant think of right now.

Flat out wrong. All that is required to test is remove your armor and see your stats do not change.

game update notes april 15th:

Chest, leg, and boot armor still contribute to the total defense value.

state of the ranger?!

in PvP

Posted by: Rezz.8019

Rezz.8019

There is no ranger build that can beat d/d ele 1v1. Fact.

state of the ranger?!

in PvP

Posted by: Sol.4310

Sol.4310

I can beat Ele’s 1v1 with my ranger rather easy. I spent very long time dueling d/d’s back when they was OP now there no way near as effective back then, so allot easier now.

Also I’ve found several rather solid backpoint and team fighting spec’s for my ranger that could easy go meta.

Thanks to Eura I took idea from one of his builds changed it turned it into something completely different and turned out to work insanely well.

Ranger’s in terms of Power build’s sure do need some work LB/GS is one trick pony, I’ve been fighting team’s trying to run 2x of them sitting back unloading it hurts allot just once you focus fire them they are good as dead.

But our bunker’s are still strong, our team support is still strong I personally think most ranger’s are looking in wrong area’s.

Trap ranger could be improved but it’s still solid build, in the right hand’s stuns/daze hurt the build but in saying that isn’t really any build can counter the amount of stun’s that are unloading.

Saizo Sol – Ranger
Twitch – Aussie Streamer

state of the ranger?!

in PvP

Prysin.8542

I can beat Ele’s 1v1 with my ranger rather easy. I spent very long time dueling d/d’s back when they was OP now there no way near as effective back then, so allot easier now.

Also I’ve found several rather solid backpoint and team fighting spec’s for my ranger that could easy go meta.

Thanks to Eura I took idea from one of his builds changed it turned it into something completely different and turned out to work insanely well.

Ranger’s in terms of Power build’s sure do need some work LB/GS is one trick pony, I’ve been fighting team’s trying to run 2x of them sitting back unloading it hurts allot just once you focus fire them they are good as dead.

But our bunker’s are still strong, our team support is still strong I personally think most ranger’s are looking in wrong area’s.

Trap ranger could be improved but it’s still solid build, in the right hand’s stuns/daze hurt the build but in saying that isn’t really any build can counter the amount of stun’s that are unloading.

I think in terms of power, sw axe and gs is a bettrr build then lb.
Also, people, read skill description, lb max aa dps is at 1000 range, not 1200. And anything beyond 1000 range is not going to increase the dps

state of the ranger?!

in PvP

Rezz.8019

Can you please teach me how to beat d/d ele when you have to defend the point and stay on it? I would really like to know. By beat I mean actually kill, because I’m assuming that’s what you are talking about here.

Thanks!

state of the ranger?!

in PvP

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

Can you please teach me how to beat d/d ele when you have to defend the point and stay on it? I would really like to know. By beat I mean actually kill, because I’m assuming that’s what you are talking about here.

Thanks!

Haha why are you so adamant about this. It is completely doable. The node will not get decapped and even though the ele might be able to peel out a lot of the times I don’t think they will be able to an equal amount of time as well. Either way. Ranger wins.

state of the ranger?!

in PvP

Prysin.8542

Let me explain in a simple way how a ranger v ele match will go by assuming the ele runs celestial DD which seems to be fairly popular atm.

Ele vs BM with canine + feline pet.:
Ele will charge in with rtl followed by updraft into earthquake shortly followed by arcane blast. This rotation has the potential to bring the bm bunker down. However unless the ranger is completely blind or stupid or both. He/she will either dodge or use a stunbreaker, KD the ele with pet, swap to axe torch and unload 5 bleedstacks+ chill and burning and pet will add vulnerability.
Ele will now go defensive due to cooldowns. Since ele now need to wait before the next rotation, it is going to deal with condi spam and high burst pressure from feline pet. Both of which ele struggles against due to few spammable cleanses and low healthpool + armor. The ele will live on a knifes edge until the cooldowns are reset. This fight will go on until one of them slips up, but time favors the ranger

Ele vs trapper:
Ele closes onto the point, uses rtl to hopefully secure its rotation. Runs straight into a fire, poison and spike trap, being imkobilized inside 2 fields that from critical damage alone delivers up to 800 damage pr tick + 800 damage/sec burn, 350 poison, and a rapidly rising number of bleedstacks as the ranger will unload sb aa or axe 2.
Ele will be forced to go defensive and cleanse lkke mad. Unfortunately, against a trapoer you can expect almost perma 800 burn and 350 poison damage on you at all times i addition to 650-1200 bleeding pr tick. Only a guardian can clease as fast as a trapper can reapply conditions. DD ele is weak to conditions as it HAVE to get close IE: into trap range.

Ele can and most likely will beat a power ranger. Ele can only hope to beat a bunker ranger by catching them by surprise and getting off their entire rotation without missing.

state of the ranger?!

in PvP

Oidmetala.8426

i just wonder why i don’t see all this storys some peoples tell here in
top teams happen and also not in esl games, tol tourny or even in the top ~50 leaderboard games in eu.

i can also start telling oh i beat everything with trapper ranger, power ranger or even some builds i just try around.
what i actually do alot, since nearly all stoped playing pvp after the tol tournament.
but the people i can beat with trapper ranger or power ranger i can also beat with everything, because the player skill difference.

so ofc it is possible, but only if my ranger player skill is much better then the enemy players skill on his profession.
if its equal it happens realy often that the ranger get downed over time (outsustained).

at least, yes the 1vs1 bunker ranger is still good and can win much 1vs1 of course.
but there is no real reason to take this kind of ranger instead of a staff ele or d/d ele as backpoint player, a 1vs1 based warrior overshine it anyways hard still.

i tryed some 1vs1 based ranger builds vs a verry good staff elem and i just was not able to down him. it gets even dangerous to stay all the time on point if the ele know what he have to do.
so in my mind a staff ele is always the better chose actually then a backpoint ranger.

more mobility
more team support, heal
aoe damage and good assist.

with a 1vs1 based ranger you can follow your enemys with axe, torch, sword, dagger like a kitten, deal single target damage and get some aoes in this time you chase a guy by doing not as much damage.
a 1vs1 ranger is not a huge help if you want to win a teamfight.

and then, when it comes to the point that you have to do your backpoint job and leave the teamfight fast, you get outruned because the mobility is a bit to low to be fast enough back on your point.
or you choose the option to stay near to your point and be nearly completely useless in the teamfight, shortbow is anyways really low damage without sun spirit.

dont understand me wrong, i dont say ranger is complete crap atm,
but in my mind it’s in the worst position compered to the other professions at the moment.
its like the ele before the patch, it can be decent, but compered to other builds/professions not worth to take into a team.

edit:
but it looks again like it’s just not working to speak about balance in a forum, because there is a huge skill difference betweed some peoples complain.
but also much peoples really think they are playing like gods by never played a esl, in the tol or in the top rank of leaderboard,
means never faced much high skilled players or even know how to play a organized team pvp match… Oo

(edited by Oidmetala.8426)

state of the ranger?!

in PvP

Rezz.8019

I can’t kill a good d/d ele with my ranger. And I think I’m quite decent ranger.
They cleanse all conditions all the time and heal a lot. I don’t die either but there is no way I could kill it. (a good ele that is)

state of the ranger?!

in PvP

Prysin.8542

I can’t kill a good d/d ele with my ranger. And I think I’m quite decent ranger.
They cleanse all conditions all the time and heal a lot. I don’t die either but there is no way I could kill it. (a good ele that is)

Then the ele is better then you or have better rotations then you do, or you do not use the pet correctly, have suboptimal runes and or sigils. There is many reasons why you cannot win, in most cases (this goes for me, and anyone else), it is the player that is to blame. From a sherr design perspective, atleast on paper the ranger is the strongest 1v1 fighter due to having multiple strong damage sources, however theory aside, throw in some player skill and everything changes.

state of the ranger?!

in PvP

Jekkt.6045

never seen a cele ele use arcane blast and the rotation you talk about is wrong too. rotation is fire water earth air. on my ele i can cleanse about everything and the only time i cleanse anything against a ranger is when i have 10 bleed stacks on me.
as for trapper, dodge into the traps, wait outside of the point until they are gone. ranger will have about 20 sec cooldown in which you can attack him as much as you like.

i already said this, trap ranger is similar to a less effective bomb spam engi with the difference that any ranged class will totally wreck you if they are not too stupid to dodge thrown traps.

and from sheer design perspective… warrior is the strongest 1vs1 class and not ranger.

(edited by Jekkt.6045)

state of the ranger?!

in PvP

Posted by: Valentin.2073

Valentin.2073

hmm… im not sure but i think spirit ranger with settler amulet still can hold a home node and effective in supporting the team at mid fight.

PVP Ranger: Prince Valentine, PVP Warrior: Prince of Hearts I, and PVP Mesmer: Prince Valentine I

state of the ranger?!

in PvP

Posted by: djooceboxblast.9876

djooceboxblast.9876

i just wonder why i don’t see all this storys some peoples tell here in
top teams happen and also not in esl games, tol tourny or even in the top ~50 leaderboard games in eu.

i can also start telling oh i beat everything with trapper ranger, power ranger or even some builds i just try around.
what i actually do alot, since nearly all stoped playing pvp after the tol tournament.
but the people i can beat with trapper ranger or power ranger i can also beat with everything, because the player skill difference.

so ofc it is possible, but only if my ranger player skill is much better then the enemy players skill on his profession.
if its equal it happens realy often that the ranger get downed over time (outsustained).

at least, yes the 1vs1 bunker ranger is still good and can win much 1vs1 of course.
but there is no real reason to take this kind of ranger instead of a staff ele or d/d ele as backpoint player, a 1vs1 based warrior overshine it anyways hard still.

i tryed some 1vs1 based ranger builds vs a verry good staff elem and i just was not able to down him. it gets even dangerous to stay all the time on point if the ele know what he have to do.
so in my mind a staff ele is always the better chose actually then a backpoint ranger.

more mobility
more team support, heal
aoe damage and good assist.

with a 1vs1 based ranger you can follow your enemys with axe, torch, sword, dagger like a kitten, deal single target damage and get some aoes in this time you chase a guy by doing not as much damage.
a 1vs1 ranger is not a huge help if you want to win a teamfight.

and then, when it comes to the point that you have to do your backpoint job and leave the teamfight fast, you get outruned because the mobility is a bit to low to be fast enough back on your point.
or you choose the option to stay near to your point and be nearly completely useless in the teamfight, shortbow is anyways really low damage without sun spirit.

dont understand me wrong, i dont say ranger is complete crap atm,
but in my mind it’s in the worst position compered to the other professions at the moment.
its like the ele before the patch, it can be decent, but compered to other builds/professions not worth to take into a team.

edit:
but it looks again like it’s just not working to speak about balance in a forum, because there is a huge skill difference betweed some peoples complain.
but also much peoples really think they are playing like gods by never played a esl, in the tol or in the top rank of leaderboard,
means never faced much high skilled players or even know how to play a organized team pvp match… Oo

The devs are busy with China – Be haaaaaaappyyyyy!

state of the ranger?!

in PvP

Posted by: KarsaiB.9475

KarsaiB.9475

Ranger sucks. Just give Ranger enchantments already.

55 HP Monks // Random scrubadub

state of the ranger?!

in PvP

Posted by: hihey.1075

hihey.1075

Prysin you have no clue how pvp works and how good veteran pvp players are.

Pillow Cake
Worst Thief EU
One Handed One vs One Videos

state of the ranger?!

in PvP

Prysin.8542

never seen a cele ele use arcane blast and the rotation you talk about is wrong too. rotation is fire water earth air. on my ele i can cleanse about everything and the only time i cleanse anything against a ranger is when i have 10 bleed stacks on me.
as for trapper, dodge into the traps, wait outside of the point until they are gone. ranger will have about 20 sec cooldown in which you can attack him as much as you like.

i already said this, trap ranger is similar to a less effective bomb spam engi with the difference that any ranged class will totally wreck you if they are not too stupid to dodge thrown traps.

and from sheer design perspective… warrior is the strongest 1vs1 class and not ranger.

sorry, you lack understanding of trapper and how to rotate it to keep the best possible uptime of condi pressure. The usage of torch offhand and axe mainhand allows for a continuous application of conditions with minimal effort required.

state of the ranger?!

in PvP

Posted by: dylan.5409

dylan.5409

I would like to see changes for the ranger
More active defences for power ranger (actives on LB and GS)
Traps need to be in a kit (similar to engineers) or otherwise reworked to be far stronger
BM, idk, could use a permanent 30% speed upgrade for pets (maybe as 1 point trait in bm since ai cant be reworked) and definitely more cleave for ALL pets (again points in bm or something)would make them more useful in team fights.

(edited by dylan.5409)

state of the ranger?!

in PvP

Prysin.8542

BM, idk, could use a permanent 30% speed upgrade for pets (maybe as 1 point trait in bm since ai cant be reworked) and definitely more cleave for ALL pets (again points in bm or something)would make them more useful in team fights.

i’d back this up. Pet’s need more TLC. They aren’t lacking in the damage department, but rather in how they actually apply this damage.

i’d really love for one of the ranged pets (devourer/spider) to have a player targetable AOE on the F2, and for the other to have a very fast attack speed or they could just tripple the projectile speed, with a little lower damage to balance it out… So one hit many, or one is “focus fire”.

state of the ranger?!

in PvP

Posted by: Narkodx.1472

Narkodx.1472

Necromancer has similar problems. Low level hot join or solo q? OP and very effective using MULTIPLE builds. Put them in a high level tPvP game and most people start to see the problems. Thing is most players base all of their knowledge on Solo q and WvW roaming. Most people in this game are keyboard turners and skill clickers. FACT

state of the ranger?!

in PvP

Posted by: Stark.1350

Stark.1350

I have a ranger in my guild who is pvp rank 40, over rank 300 in WvW, first and ONLY person in our guild last year to kill Liadri, level 50 in fractals and Dungeon Master.

i.e. Learn to play.

state of the ranger?!

in PvP

Jekkt.6045

I have a ranger in my guild who is pvp rank 40, over rank 300 in WvW, first and ONLY person in our guild last year to kill Liadri, level 50 in fractals and Dungeon Master.

i.e. Learn to play.

so what? this thread isnt about the usefulness of rangers in PvE or WvW. It’s not learn to play either its about some builds that need a bit of love to be able to compete with other classes without having to be 10 times better than a standart hambow.

state of the ranger?!

in PvP

Posted by: Avead.5760

Avead.5760

You people will never understand that this is the gw2 player

i.e. Learn to play.

You act like you think you are playing a dedicated pvp game the size of league of legends or dota..Warrior was unviable in pvp at the start for a very long time..ele the same post dhuum patch. But it wasnt unviable for them which are 99% of gw2 population.If ranger now sucks in dungeons and world events then you cna hope for fast actions from anets part (fast as in next balance patch in half a year from now)

state of the ranger?!

in PvP

Posted by: Valentin.2073

Valentin.2073

i can feel that many would disagree to this but i say that anet better give us back that 33% damage on our storm spirit and also the original proc in burning thru the sun spirit. seriously, it was a huge nerf.

they nerfed rangers to the level of almost being non-viable and buffed everyone else. it’s not fair.

PVP Ranger: Prince Valentine, PVP Warrior: Prince of Hearts I, and PVP Mesmer: Prince Valentine I

state of the ranger?!

in PvP

Prysin.8542

Prysin you have no clue how pvp works and how good veteran pvp players are.

And you sir have no clue of how good or bad i am aside from a low pvp rank because i havent been playing pvp until recently.
I have however watched the ToL, the old PAX tourney, random other matches and done some research before entering PvP. I know how the mode works, iknow how to play my role, i also happen to know that ive fought members of decently ranked teams from time to time, mostly while doing teamQ in NA though. Yet to fight against any strong EU team

state of the ranger?!

in PvP

Posted by: djooceboxblast.9876

djooceboxblast.9876

sorry, you lack understanding of trapper and how to rotate it to keep the best possible uptime of condi pressure. The usage of torch offhand and axe mainhand allows for a continuous application of conditions with minimal effort required.

Trap ranger is nothing in comparison to condi necro, engi or warrior. Traps are not good in high tier tournament pvp and that is just the way it is. Funny fact – as a necro i would rather run into your traps, eat all your condition pressure, and then transfer it all back. What else does a trap ranger bring other than condition pressure? Maybe a fear or an imob from a pet. Engineers brings more cc, better sustained aoe condition pressure, and support. Necro brings more soft cc, boon corruption and better sustained aoe condition pressure. Warrior just brings way higher single target condition pressure and is way better for 1v1 side node fighting.

state of the ranger?!

in PvP

Posted by: Ryan.9387

Ryan.9387

d/d ele and backpoint rangers stalemate if the players are equal.

Trap ranger is also not an effective build. Simple to counter. For the bm backpoint I’ll just let my pet trigger all your traps. Then I’ll kite you down while my pet kills you because you lack any sustain (heal excluded) due to your build. In that time I’ll be pumping out sotw, BM healing, and perma regen. You will live probably 15-20s if bad 30-40s if good.

It is a gimmicky build which works once a game.

Ranger | Elementalist

state of the ranger?!

in PvP

Prysin.8542

Trap ranger is also not an effective build. Simple to counter. For the bm backpoint I’ll just let my pet trigger all your traps. Then I’ll kite you down while my pet kills you because you lack any sustain (heal excluded) due to your build. In that time I’ll be pumping out sotw, BM healing, and perma regen. You will live probably 15-20s if bad 30-40s if good.

Do you honestly think, i as a ranger, wouldnt hardcounter your BM build? Takes 9 seconds to melt a drake, 11 if running bears. Felines 5-6 if lucky. BM is easy ti counter, worst case ill have your swap on cd permanently. Not to mention, if using the right runes, it does not matter if traps have little cc. Truth be told, bm vs trapper, you gotta have near flawless pet and condition management. Not sayin it is impossible to win as bm, but since pets have zero removal of their own they will just die or be swapped all the time.

Yes, condi necro is better due to sustain, but the condi reflect isnt that hard to counter. Sure you can catch me by surprise, but after having fought condi mancers in wvw and pvp, iv’e learnt how to time my condition bombs accordingly.

I find it amusing how everyone think i am a complete novice to the game even though I’ve got just as much or even more time invested in this game as any other hardcore pro player. Still got more to learn about pvp, but balance wise, pvp is infinitely easier to build for then wvw is. Because whatever cheese you can make here is 20% less cheesy then any wvw build.

state of the ranger?!

in PvP

Oidmetala.8426

bump, still waiting for a dev to waste his 5 minutes of life to enter here and answer something (serious post, since devs are the bigest trolls sometimes actually).
looks like i’m possible to write something into the forum still after 11 hours work, really hard to do something like this, you agree me gw2 devs?

it’s not a big secret that nearly all ranger builds are actually really bad in
the higher ranked place of tpvp.
ahead of all this funny storys,

• trapper ranger actually is complete useless and really weak, the reasons of this are pointed out on this topic really well allready, just one guy still think it’s amazing.
  • you can’t do a amazing job with power ranger exept of holding the record of the most easy to kill build in this game actually. there is a reason why everyboy laugh if they see power rangers in tpvp.
  • the last viable build “spirit ranger” is also useless now, since it got so manny nerfs by buffing everything other in the same time
    i also still don’t understand the vigor nerf from 50 to 25 which affected all ranger builds.
    but some other professions can still have 50% vigor regeneration and they are “caster” professions with access to ports aswell
  • beastmaster ranger and any kind of 1vs1 based ranger is okay, but not good since we have elementalists and warriors for this job.
    at least it’s the last decent working builds…

state of the ranger?!

in PvP

Posted by: Ryan.9387

Ryan.9387

Do you honestly think, i as a ranger, wouldnt hardcounter your BM build? Takes 9 seconds to melt a drake, 11 if running bears. Felines 5-6 if lucky. BM is easy ti counter, worst case ill have your swap on cd permanently. Not to mention, if using the right runes, it does not matter if traps have little cc. Truth be told, bm vs trapper, you gotta have near flawless pet and condition management. Not sayin it is impossible to win as bm, but since pets have zero removal of their own they will just die or be swapped all the time.

Yes, condi necro is better due to sustain, but the condi reflect isnt that hard to counter. Sure you can catch me by surprise, but after having fought condi mancers in wvw and pvp, iv’e learnt how to time my condition bombs accordingly.

I find it amusing how everyone think i am a complete novice to the game even though I’ve got just as much or even more time invested in this game as any other hardcore pro player. Still got more to learn about pvp, but balance wise, pvp is infinitely easier to build for then wvw is. Because whatever cheese you can make here is 20% less cheesy then any wvw build.

Pet swap is on a 16s cooldown with buffed stats and perma multiple source regen. You will not kill the pet before I can swap it. If you try you just give the other player free time to just time your emp bond and burst you with condis you can’t cleanse.

Please also drop the wvw crap. Don’t honestly tell me building +40% food and perplexity runes is “hard”. Ask youself how well the wvw guilds finished in ToL, and before you name some guild’s tpvp brach (apex) realize those are tpvp mains who later joined a team.

Please also don’t exaggerate your skill. You aren’t in the top 1k on any leaderboard, and you claim to be better than people on high ranking teams and guys who spend hours theorycrafting and dueling to get better.

Ranger | Elementalist

(edited by Ryan.9387)

state of the ranger?!

in PvP

Prysin.8542

power ranger is not that bad, however you must distinguish between power (general) and glass.

Glass ranger is terrible. If anyone farts in your general direction, you die. However more tankier builds still work decently thanks to sotf.
I will note however that a condition ranger > power ranger. However the survivability, since evades is mostly on weapons skills that still do some damage, you are not completely screwd running power. However i will also note that if you run power, bows are a nono.

Bows – glass only or SB spirit ranger.
Rest – melee.

(edited by Prysin.8542)

state of the ranger?!

in PvP

Posted by: Dead Muppet.9718

Dead Muppet.9718

@ prysin

Im not sure where youre getting your numbers in spvp or tpvp.

8k Mauls being ‘easy’ please inform me how this is easy. It sounds more like a lot of if’s.
3k Auto Attacks? With what weapon? Longbow? Greatsword? Again it sounds more like a lot of ifs to me.

350 Poison ticks off a trap… Can you share this build so I can test this out
800 Per tick off Flame Trap… Again can you share this build so I can test this out.

Im not saying youre lying, im saying for the maul/auto attack they are ‘unrealistic’ thus not ‘easy’ without a setup or utilities no power ranger should take to get these.

Three Minutes.