would you play paids more if. (please reply)

in PvP

Posted by: daydream.2938

daydream.2938

Right, exactly. Its such an uphill battle. And im very interested in getting into paid tournies. but putting a team together and praticing , etc etc, is so hard. The barriers to entry are frankly very frustrating.

in PvP

Posted by: Mehlkee.6804

Mehlkee.6804

Oh and I forgot to say this is a great idea.

in PvP

Posted by: Lixion.8457

Lixion.8457

You think they’ll pay attention if we keep it at the top for awhile?

in PvP

Posted by: SAtaarcoeny.8476

SAtaarcoeny.8476

they already read it over the weekend they will discuss it when they get back in the office tomorrow. depending on the discussion they will have a dev reply to the post either

yes this is great ty sat for saving our idea we are happy we can keep tournaments.

at this time something like this would not be a viable time expence for our pvp team.

either way we will get a reply soon.

URTFC.COM

BIG GW2 TOURNAMENT INC SPONSORED BY URTFC.COM

in PvP

daydream.2938

Im glad you made this thread sat, more likely to be read and taken seriously coming from someone near the top of the current tpvp heap.

in PvP

Posted by: Sprawl.3891

Sprawl.3891

they already read it over the weekend they will discuss it when they get back in the office tomorrow. depending on the discussion they will have a dev reply to the post either

yes this is great ty sat for saving our idea we are happy we can keep tournaments.

at this time something like this would not be a viable time expence for our pvp team.

either way we will get a reply soon.

proof they read and will respond?

Sprawl – Necro – Eredon Terrace

in PvP

Posted by: Akumetsu.8591

Akumetsu.8591

i definitely want them to read this. I’m really happy you are making an effort Sataarcoeny. I think if more top players start posting constructive ideas in the forums it will definitely help move this game forward. if you ever want to bounce ideas off just message me in game or here. they can ignore maybe one or 2 but if most of the top players start posting / agreeing with others they will probably be more inclined to actually implement the ideas.

One hope, One dream, One Dagger Thief
K U R A Enguard [ENG], Pretty Princess Squad [MEN]

in PvP

Posted by: Follidus.8027

Follidus.8027

This is a great idea overall. I would just add that this cannot be implemented for free tournaments until a deserter debuff is added. Solo queue players are already being asked to 4v5 every few matches—it would really sting to have to 4v5 three matches in a row (or worse, 4v5, then 2v5, then 1v5…or just wait it out in the spawnpoint).

Completely agree, this would not be very good for free tournament/solo queuers because of afkers and rage quitters.

Cause I ain’t perfect, I never said I was.
But now they’re hating cause a brotha finally got some buzz
www.twitch.tv/Follidus – Team Absolute Legends

in PvP

SAtaarcoeny.8476

i definitely want them to read this. I’m really happy you are making an effort Sataarcoeny. I think if more top players start posting constructive ideas in the forums it will definitely help move this game forward. if you ever want to bounce ideas off just message me in game or here. they can ignore maybe one or 2 but if most of the top players start posting / agreeing with others they will probably be more inclined to actually implement the ideas.

yeah man ty.

i dont really think they are ignoring us i think it is more they are trying to deal with bugs and exploits ppl are using. then they have to work on balance. then they have to work on implemeanting the good stuff but if they are working to much on the first 2 things its hard to get to what we want.

URTFC.COM

in PvP

Posted by: Recently.1043

Recently.1043

Ranked is fine. What they need is a solo-queue ranked and a premade ranked (and the 2 types don’t end up fighting each other).

They can give some sort of bonuses for the premade ranked (since that would be the less popular format of the 2), maybe QP, or small gem reward or something i dunno.

The only way they gonna attract more people to sPvP is to 1.) make the game solo-queue friendly, and 2.) give people a reason to play sPvP (kitten stuff like ranks would help) A new game-type would help as well as capture the point is not solo-queue friendly, which is why pugs almost always lose to premades even if the collection of players in the pug are better at pvp.

Call me when this game gets fixed…. if it ever does….

in PvP

Posted by: Zoose.1640

Zoose.1640

I approve of Sataa’s post

in PvP

Posted by: Vinhoney.4517

Vinhoney.4517

Ranked is fine. What they need is a solo-queue ranked and a premade ranked (and the 2 types don’t end up fighting each other).

They can give some sort of bonuses for the premade ranked (since that would be the less popular format of the 2), maybe QP, or small gem reward or something i dunno.

The only way they gonna attract more people to sPvP is to 1.) make the game solo-queue friendly, and 2.) give people a reason to play sPvP (kitten stuff like ranks would help) A new game-type would help as well as capture the point is not solo-queue friendly, which is why pugs almost always lose to premades even if the collection of players in the pug are better at pvp.

I like this idea. The solo queue application definitely would draw a lot of players in. I wish they’d change spvp to random arena like in gw1; it was so much fun even with the lf-monk problem.

If you have no doubts of your skills, then challenge me for a duel please.

in PvP

Posted by: Rerroll.9083

Rerroll.9083

Let’s do some math about the current paid tournament system. We will find out how terribad it is.

8 teams join a paid tournament. Each team is made of 5 people who spend 5 tickets each.
8 teams * 5 members * 5 tickets/member = 200 tickets spent.

- One team will end 1st. That’s 120 gems each. 120*5 = 600 gems
- One team will end 2nd. That’s 80 gems each. 80*5 = 400 gems.
- Two teams will end 3rd/4rth. That’s 20 gems each. 20*(5+5)=200 gems.
- Some gems are given as lottery prize, however no one knows the exact % and it seems very random. My experience says you will get about 20-40 gems every 3 or 4 tournaments.

Total gems given as reward = 1200 gems + (low, random amount).

Conclusions:

- With 1200 gems a total of *100 tickets can be bought*
maths: 1200 gems/ 360 priceof30tickets = 3,33 stacks of 30. 3,33*30 = 100 tickets.

- 200 tickets were spent to join a tournament, and only 100 were returned back. Also, a 83,3% of the tickets are given to the top/most experienced teams. The other teams are left with 16,7 tickets and that means 0,556 tickets per player.
(considering top teams the ones getting 1st and 2nd positions)

- Only 2 teams out of 8 can play paid tournaments continously. That means the 6 worse teams will have to farm 4 (2 teams) or 5 (6 teams) free tournaments to play a single paid. The average is 4,75 free tournaments to farm.

Considering each free tournament takes 45 minutes, and considering you win 100% of free tournaments (which is not mathematically true) we can calculate the amount of time an average team has to spend to play 1 paid tournament.
4,75*45 minutes = 213,75 minutes = 3,56 hours. Since i didnt count the daily ticket (yay!) we could say the time spent is from 3 to 3,5 hours.

- 75% of the teams (6/8) have to farm 3 hours to play a single paid tournament. Also, 4/8 of them (50%) can only play a single round. A single round takes 10-15 minutes.
That means 50% of the teams aiming competitive pvp in gw2 have to farm 3 hours to play 12,5 minutes of competitive pvp. Another 25% of teams (which are better) are rewarded with 25 minutes of competitive pvp every 3+ hours.

T1 teams = best teams
T2 teams = good teams
T3 teams = worst/new/50% teams

- T1 teams (that are already better) can practice paid tournaments 100% of their time.
- T2 teams (that win T3 teams but get farmed by T1) can practice paid tourments 13,8% of their time
- T3 teams (people wanting to start at competitive pvp) can practice 6,94% of their time.

—> T2 & T3 teams quit pvp or play free tournaments 86-93% of their time . Since free tournaments are pug stomping they will hardly get better.
—> T1 teams are getting better and better, while T2 and T3 teams improve very slowly
—> Only T1 teams queue paids. Since the gem rewards remain the same (even if the teams playing paid are really good), we have 3 new tiers: T1.1, T1.2, T1.3

AMAZING FACTS WE REALIZED
200 tickets are spent to join a tournament and only 100 are given back
83% of the prize is given to the top teams
Good, average & bad teams get 0,556 tickets per player
Only best teams can practice full time.
Good, average and bad teams can practice 6,94% or 13,8% of their time
Less people is encouraged to queue, but the amount of people to make a paid pop is quite high 8*5 = 40
If you have a life and decide to spend your money, you will have to pay 10€ for 800 gems. That’s 10€ for 66,6 tickets. Considering you an average team, you will get 0,5 tickets/paid tournament. Since you will play 13 tournaments with initial tickets you will gain 0,5*13=6,5 tickets, which means an extra game. You paid 10€ to play 13+1=14 tournaments, averaging 15-30 minutes of gameplay each tournament
—> you paid 10€ to play 210-420 minutes depending on your skill.
- To practice, a new team has two options:
*> play 10 hours for every hour a top one does. If a top teams plays 4 hours every day, a new team has to play 40 hours/day.
*> pay 10€ every 3,5 hours (if they are “bad”), pay 10€ every 7 hours (if they are “better”)

This awesome system we have makes queues longer, and that means T1, T2 and T3 teams can practice even less % of their time than was calculated.

What should be done:
a) delete paid tournaments system.
b) If 200 tickets are spent, 160+ should be returned to the players.
> This can be fixed by increasing the amount of gems or lowering the price of tickets. Also, remove the lottery no on enjoys RNG
- A system letting the 8 teams play 3 games as SAtaarcoeny suggested should be implemented. At least people will get to practice twice or three times more.

What will happen if this post is ignored and elo is implemented:
- New players can’t join the competitive pvp scene, only those that bought the game this summer can pvp at a high level.
- The number of veteran players will slowly decrease.
- Queues will become longer. Competitive pvp will slowly die.

Up Rerroll

(edited by Rerroll.9083)

in PvP

daydream.2938

reroll raises interesting objection. The fundamental issue from the perspective of someone trying to crack into the paid scene is that the barrier to entry to strong. id like to see something focused specifically on this.

in PvP

SAtaarcoeny.8476

Let’s do some math about the current paid tournament system. We will find out how terribad it is.

8 teams join a paid tournament. Each team is made of 5 people who spend 5 tickets each.
8 teams * 5 members * 5 tickets/member = 200 tickets spent.

- One team will end 1st. That’s 120 gems each. 120*5 = 600 gems
- One team will end 2nd. That’s 80 gems each. 80*5 = 400 gems.
- Two teams will end 3rd/4rth. That’s 20 gems each. 20*(5+5)=200 gems.

Total gems given as reward = 1200 gems + (low, random amount).

Conclusions:

- With 1200 gems a total of *100 tickets can be bought*
maths: 1200 gems/ 360 priceof30tickets = 3,33 stacks of 30. 3,33*30 = 100 tickets.

- 200 tickets were spent to join a tournament, and only 100 were returned back. Also, a 83,3% of the tickets are given to the top/most experienced teams. The other teams are left with 16,7 tickets and that means 0,556 tickets per player.
(considering top teams the ones getting 1st and 2nd positions)

- Only 2 teams out of 8 can play paid tournaments continously. That means the 6 worse teams will have to farm 4 (2 teams) or 5 (6 teams) free tournaments to play a single paid. The average is 4,75 free tournaments to farm.

Considering each free tournament takes 45 minutes, and considering you win 100% of free tournaments (which is not mathematically true) we can calculate the amount of time an average team has to spend to play 1 paid tournament.
4,75*45 minutes = 213,75 minutes = 3,56 hours. Since i didnt count the daily ticket (yay!) we could say the time spent is from 3 to 3,5 hours.

- 75% of the teams (6/8) have to farm 3 hours to play a single paid tournament. Also, 4/8 of them (50%) can only play a single round. A single round takes 10-15 minutes.
That means 50% of the teams aiming competitive pvp in gw2 have to farm 3 hours to play 12,5 minutes of competitive pvp. Another 25% of teams (which are better) are rewarded with 25 minutes of competitive pvp every 3+ hours.

T1 teams = best teams
T2 teams = good teams
T3 teams = worst/new/50% teams

- T1 teams (that are already better) can practice paid tournaments 100% of their time.
- T2 teams (that win T3 teams but get farmed by T1) can practice paid tourments 13,8% of their time
- T3 teams (people wanting to start at competitive pvp) can practice 6,94% of their time.

—> T2 & T3 teams quit pvp or play free tournaments 86-93% of their time . Since free tournaments are pug stomping they will hardly get better.
—> T1 teams are getting better and better, while T2 and T3 teams improve very slowly
—> Only T1 teams queue paids. Since the gem rewards remain the same (even if the teams playing paid are really good), we have 3 new tiers: T1.1, T1.2, T1.3

AMAZING FACTS WE REALIZED
200 tickets are spent to join a tournament and only 100 are given back
83% of the prize is given to the top teams
Good, average & bad teams get 0,556 tickets per player
Only best teams can practice full time.
Good, average and bad teams can practice 6,94% or 13,8% of their time
Less people is encouraged to queue, but the amount of people to make a paid pop is quite high 8*5 = 40
If you have a life and decide to spend your money, you will have to pay 10€ for 800 gems. That’s 10€ for 66,6 tickets. Considering you an average team, you will get 0,5 tickets/paid tournament. Since you will play 13 tournaments with initial tickets you will gain 0,5*13=6,5 tickets, which means an extra game. You paid 10€ to play 13+1=14 tournaments, averaging 15-30 minutes of gameplay each tournament
—> you paid 10€ to play 210-420 minutes depending on your skill.
- To practice, a new team has two options:
*> play 10 hours for every hour a top one does. If a top teams plays 4 hours every day, a new team has to play 40 hours/day.
*> pay 10€ every 3,5 hours (if they are “bad”), pay 10€ every 7 hours (if they are “better”)

This awesome system we have makes queues longer, and that means T1, T2 and T3 teams can practice even less % of their time than was calculated.

What should be done:
a) delete paid tournaments system.
b) If 200 tickets are spent, 160+ should be returned to the players.
> This can be fixed by increasing the amount of gems or lowering the price of tickets. Also, remove the lottery no on enjoys RNG
- A system letting the 8 teams play 3 games as SAtaarcoeny suggested should be implemented. At least people will get to practice twice or three times more.

What will happen if this post is ignored and elo is implemented:
- New players can’t join the competitive pvp scene, only those that bought the game this summer can pvp at a high level.
- The number of veteran players will slowly decrease.
- Queues will become longer. Competitive pvp will slowly die.

perfect points anet shoud read this 5 times

URTFC.COM

in PvP

Sprawl.3891

where’s the red post you said we were getting today?

in PvP

Posted by: Interpret Interrupt.3824

Interpret Interrupt.3824

Conclusion: barrier is time.

K Pop
The Warrior, The Necro, The F1 Connoisseur
http://www.twitch.tv/interpretinterrupt

in PvP

SAtaarcoeny.8476

ok they didnt even update the leader bords so ANET must not be back from holiday yet.

URTFC.COM

in PvP

Posted by: Skovos.6509

Skovos.6509

Do it. Do it now.

in PvP

Posted by: Archaon.6245

Archaon.6245

The problem is that you can’t go paids without a good premade, or at last imo….i don’t mind going in just farming a chest, if you go paids you want to win or at last get a good placement…and there are only a few guilds paid tpvp oriented…..if you haven’t a good team with you it’s like going in just to be stomped helping farming teams getting easy qpnts….and this shouldn’t happen. I personally go paid only if i have good team to play with, and this happens not really often…otherwise i’d rather go free without feeding qpnts farmers..

Here the problem is just the same you find in free tpvp….just split pugs and premades facing only the same team set up …. 5pm vs 5pm 4pm+1pug vs 4pm+1pug and so on….come on we send robots on mars, this can’t be so hard to implement…

(edited by Archaon.6245)

in PvP

Posted by: Ashumet.8674

Ashumet.8674

I guess Anet is going to reply anytime soon, this is one of the only ‘serious’ and highly supported posts on this forum where people aren’t complaining about some profession but instead coming up with lots of ideas that would actually make the game better for all of us.

So I’m just bumping this up again :-)

in PvP

SAtaarcoeny.8476

ok leader bords got updated so ANET is back lets give them a day or 2 to read all this before they comment.

but if nothing changes then i guess i will just keep doing my part by helping make teams and rallying paid pops.

URTFC.COM

in PvP

SAtaarcoeny.8476

i read on a post Johnathon is out until Monday so we will see if we get a response then.

URTFC.COM

in PvP

Posted by: Deja Vu.1694

Deja Vu.1694

I totally agree with most of the stuff being said here. I’ve ran into everyone 1-100 on the qual. points leader board, and I’ve never been close to beating one of their teams. It’s something I’m working on with friends in the game, but it’s very hard to compete when I can’t get nearly as much play time as the people dominating the leader board. I know others have the same issue. There’s nothing wrong with that logic, I mean if I don’t play as much I’m not going to get as much practice, so I won’t be as good. The problem with this is knowing that every time I join a paid tournament queue, I’m more than likely not getting any tickets back, and I’m hoping to get either some style I want out of the low chests or paid tournament tokens from salvaging what I do get. I try to get as much experience out of paid queues as possible, and I talk to most of the great players I meet to ask advice and tips on how to improve my game play, but I honestly get more experience out of doing free tournaments where I know I have a great chance of at least going to all 3 maps. I don’t know if someone else has posted something like this, probably, I’m just too lazy to read through 4 pages of replys. I read the first page and some of the other replys and I’m just waiting for a Dev to read through this and reply as there are definitely some great ideas here that at least need to be looked at by whoever is in charge of the sPvP development of the game. I love this games player base

Deja Vu / Slyhk

in PvP

Posted by: Archaon.6245

Archaon.6245

This game should NOT be farm-based. If you want to farm just go wow, ppl (Expec those from old gw1) don’t want to farm in both pvp or pve, guild wars had an anti-farm policy, why the hell you have to farm honor and qpnts now? (there were stupid iwayers for sure farming honor…and everyone knows how much those ppl were worth) Actually those called “top teams” are just teams playing paids only all day (Or at last every single time there are other teams queuing up) Here you can’t be good (Well i know that more qp doesn’t mean more skills, but at the end of the day there’s a leaderboard based on those so..) without farming…mobs or pugs doesn’t really matter, it’s the same. We need a decent ladder like gw1 gvg’s one where your team gains points winning and LOSES points losing…this way you can play 10 tournaments a week but winning all those 10 would give you much more than, let’s say winning 20 times and losing 30…

(edited by Archaon.6245)

in PvP

SAtaarcoeny.8476

i hope we get any reply from this. there is alot of ppl wanting to know if this can be done.

even if it cant thats fine also. alot of ppl encluding me want the solo q ranking system but i figured you guys are looking for a way to keep your original idea and get paids poping with more skilled ppl all day.

if you keep the QP still also with this idea it is easy. if you lose 0 games you get 5 qp if you lose 1 game u get 3 QP if you lose 2 games you get 1 QP and if you lose 3 games u get 0

1st gets 5
2nd gets 3
3rd gets 1
4th gets 1
5th gets 3
6th gets 1
7th gets 1
8th gets 0

URTFC.COM

in PvP

Posted by: Aragiel.6132

Aragiel.6132

We know there is matchmaking and some update comming in feb/march (who know when)

but its also true the game need fast reaction. I mean even in December was allready late.

PREMADES are fighting in free tournaments. Thats reality. ANd thats the main reason people started to quit sPvP because they are being farmed without chances to improve.

If we do anything to balance out and force PREMADES to play in paid. Then this will most probably happend

1) Best teams will have easier times, they will find themselfs maybe less challenged but in fact we talk about 5-6 teams so its not a big deal and im pretty sure they also will understeand that the game need to split premades and soloplayers as first.

2) Premades will move to paids. Just because they can and they will get better rewards
As a result – free tournaments will probably have longer queue times but they will be almost premades free.

3) now we have Free tournament where solo players will find themselfs able to continue and play. Sometimes they will be of course roflstomped by premade who do like to be “king” but we all know its not that much. Paids will have their queue times drasticly improved. As most of remaining premades will go there.

How to achieve? Just reduce the entry fee for paid tournaments, or increase the ticket rewards in free tournaments (like 1place = 4ticket, 2 place = 3 ticket etc.. )

MAKE PREMADES PLAY IN PAIDS AND PUGS IN FREE TOURNAMENTS.
Do it now – and we will have better times – at least till any update will come (there is a lot of people that can´t wait any longer right now)

in PvP

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

I’m so curious about the pvp blogpost. I hope they surprise us (=good way).

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

in PvP

SAtaarcoeny.8476

I’m so curious about the pvp blogpost. I hope they surprise us (=good way).

what pvp blog post are u referring to?

URTFC.COM

in PvP

Posted by: Draygo.9473

Draygo.9473

Not reading entire thread, but I would play paids more if they refunded tickets for losing.

I don’t find it time effective to go into a paid match for the cost of 5 tickets to only likely play one round.

If I play 1 round of paids I should get 3 tickets back
2 rounds 1 ticket back
3 rounds 0 tickets back (note that winners are getting Gems and QP’s)

essentially lower the barrier of entry down to 2 tickets a try if I keep losing. If I cant keep playing when I keep losing all I’m going to do is go into free.

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

in PvP

SAtaarcoeny.8476

Not reading entire thread, but I would play paids more if they refunded tickets for losing.

I don’t find it time effective to go into a paid match for the cost of 5 tickets to only likely play one round.

2 rounds 1 ticket back

essentially lower the barrier of entry down to 2 tickets a try if I keep losing. If I cant keep playing when I keep losing all I’m going to do is go into free.

i dont like this this would encourage randoms to come in and get destroyed. that is what free is for. (randoms not getting destoroyed)

paids needs to be the place were ppl L2P at a high skill lvl. and if you read the replys you will see how this encourages getting better. playing longer and overal making the game a more competitive place.

URTFC.COM

in PvP

Draygo.9473

What exactly is wrong with people that are new to the system joining it? Point is you need to encourage people that are willing to lose to play so they can get better. Right now the better players get to play 2-3 rounds of the tournaments on average while the players that are learning are round in and out with very little to gain. The players that are already good at the game are getting better while the players that arnt are relegated to using free and stomping pug groups.

People cant L2P at a high level if doing so is costly.

The barrier to entry for the losing teams needs to be lower. 5 tickets to play one match is a very expensive proposition and a big part of the reason you don’t see a lot of people in paids.

I personally consider playing against really good opponents is a good way to learn. A tpvp queue that’s popping more often is a benefit to the top level teams as it is for your casual pvper that wants to get better at the game.

There is nothing wrong with people getting destroyed in paids.

I don’t see the logic in your train of thought, If playing longer and more overall is going to increase competition, why not ENACT THAT and allow people to play longer.

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

in PvP

Posted by: Seether.7285

Seether.7285

2 rounds 1 ticket back

Reducing the entry cost is a good idea. Doing it in this fashion goes against everything that is fundamental to a tournament system with entry fees however.

in PvP

SAtaarcoeny.8476

What exactly is wrong with people that are new to the system joining it? Point is you need to encourage people that are willing to lose to play so they can get better. Right now the better players get to play 2-3 rounds of the tournaments on average while the players that are learning are round in and out with very little to gain. The players that are already good at the game are getting better while the players that arnt are relegated to using free and stomping pug groups.

People cant L2P at a high level if doing so is costly.

The barrier to entry for the losing teams needs to be lower. 5 tickets to play one match is a very expensive proposition and a big part of the reason you don’t see a lot of people in paids.

I personally consider playing against really good opponents is a good way to learn. A tpvp queue that’s popping more often is a benefit to the top level teams as it is for your casual pvper that wants to get better at the game.

There is nothing wrong with people getting destroyed in paids.

I don’t see the logic in your train of thought, If playing longer and more overall is going to increase competition, why not ENACT THAT and allow people to play longer.

5 tickets to play for 10 min after waiting 1 hour is a lot i defiantly agree.

paying 5 tickets to play a full 40 min tournament is by no means to much because u get some back after.

reducing the cost does nothing other then let more pug potential in (we dont want that)

my suggestion makes it so more teams form plus have longer to practice against great teams.

less wait time, more time in game, more practice, less time to yell at eachother because you will be in next game soon, teams get better , more teams play, more cometition,less wait time, more time in game, more practice, less time to yell at eachother because you will be in next game soon, teams get better , more teams play, more cometition,less wait time, more time in game, more practice, less time to yell at eachother because you will be in next game soon, teams get better , more teams play, more cometition,

its a nice circle.

URTFC.COM

in PvP

Posted by: Mufa.1326

Mufa.1326

ummm…nope…way too inconvenient to coordinate with other players to get good 5-player team running. By not providing ranked ques for 1v1, 2v2, 3v3 you do not even know who to contact when you want to get 2 more or 3 more (or 1 more) for 5v5 game.

Enjoy playing the ‘official version’ of the game with other 100- ppl that play it…. Low population is the price of high inconvenience barrier.

Soko D Medo

in PvP

butch.8136

^ In gw1 we needed 8. While the pvp scene wasn’t massive there and the 8 people req was a barrier it still wasn’t that bad as in gw2.

in PvP

Sprawl.3891

^ In gw1 we needed 8. While the pvp scene wasn’t massive there and the 8 people req was a barrier it still wasn’t that bad as in gw2.

i thought gw1 had solo queue?

in PvP

butch.8136

If you’re talking about random arenas yes. Gvg, team arenas and HA not.

in PvP

Draygo.9473

2 rounds 1 ticket back

Reducing the entry cost is a good idea. Doing it in this fashion goes against everything that is fundamental to a tournament system with entry fees however.

Consolation prizes are not against the fundamentals of a tourny system.

People are supposed to do the paid tournies to get qualifier points. So as I see it, either you make it a full swiss system (and thus I may be more inclined to play paids as there will probably be a team in it I can beat), or you reduce the cost for people that can only make it a single round.

If you lose in the first round you still lose 2 tickets. It isnt free. It will allow a lot more people to participate, and frankly participation is one of the main problem right now in paids. Also you still have to front the 5 tickets initially.

Right now the winners get free rides to keep playing, while players that really need the games to improve are being shut out. Its plainly not fostering proper competition, constantly thinning the availible player pool and making for very long queue times.

Besides, adjusting the reward slightly in that way can be done very quickly on anets end, making the paids a full swiss system will probably take much longer.

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

in PvP

Posted by: Seether.7285

Seether.7285

Look, everyone in this thread pretty much agrees that people, specifically newer teams that lose primarily in the first round, should be getting more playtime/value for their tickets.

However, my original point stands that your proposal is extremely flawed. In your system, the people who lose the first round are better ticket/gem wise than those who win the first match and lose in the second match. You are also ignoring that under your system the tournament begins to pay out more in rewards (tickets/gems) than are taken in from tickets. It is an extremely convoluted system in comparison to the alternative offered by Sataarcooeny.

I’m really shocked there has been no dev response to this thread though.

in PvP

Draygo.9473

Exact numbers can be tweaked up and down.

Ideally I would want more of a swiss format so even if I lose the first round I still get to play in the next two. It would take far more development time than tweaking the numbers.

Also even if you put a partial ticket refund in place, people arnt going to willingly throw their first match. You don’t do paids to win less tickets than you put in. you do paids to get QP’s. The real cash rewards should be shifted to the monthlies, which should require a reasonable level of QP’s to enter. (and monthlies should award actual cash, not gems, and yearly qps for a once a year tournament with a huge cash payout).

SA’s system would require far more development time to implement. Even though I agree its more ideal. Double elimination or accelerated swiss systems can work wonders in here. But simply refunding some of the tickets will increase the population participating in paids and can serve as a proper stop-gap until double elimination/swiss tournaments can be implemented.

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

in PvP

SAtaarcoeny.8476

time for this post to be closed. i read on johnathon sharps reply they are putting in a 1 team v 1 team q so looks like they are scrapping tournaments all together.

like i said before im happy either way i actually am more happy now that i know i can do paids whenever i want.

to bad we didnt get a dev reply to this i was actually interested in what they would have said.

URTFC.COM

in PvP

Posted by: Aragiel.6132

Aragiel.6132

time for this post to be closed. i read on johnathon sharps reply they are putting in a 1 team v 1 team q so looks like they are scrapping tournaments all together.

like i said before im happy either way i actually am more happy now that i know i can do paids whenever i want.

to bad we didnt get a dev reply to this i was actually interested in what they would have said.

They are not going to scrap tournaments.. .. 1v1 will be on top of that with minimum rewards.. not really a good change to be honest..

MM obviously won’t be used in public matches (because people are jumping in/out all the time), and instead will be used in tournament formats.