ComingTo WvW on 12/14 (renamed)

in WvW

Posted by: FuriousPop.2789

FuriousPop.2789

Very interesting plan……

For those that suddenly disconnect – yes will be a pain indeed.

For those that intentionally hit Alt + F4 – enjoy!

However for those that do disconnect suddenly due to PC issues – i mean my GPU’s tend to crash once a blue moon due to my setup – for the 1 off here and there, im happy to suffer the consequence, however on a regular basis would be very costly and frustrating.

All i can say is – if your machine is crashing whilst in combat – might be time to either upgrade or reduce effects from the settings menu.

Hopefully i read this correctly and its only occur’s when u have been hit, not just running around, once combat started.

So if you have started combat and DC, then ouch! Hopefully most of you should dc outside of combat which is what Anet is thinking. seems odd to always DC during any skirmish in the game unless something wrong with ur GPU drivers.

Disconnected from internet/PC crashed – surely Anet will have enough smarts to detect if IP gone all together or just closed the client…….

in WvW

Posted by: Syeria.4812

Syeria.4812

I think the concern about “what if enemies just leave one tower?” theorists are missing the point. Ignoring the idea of trying to organize a whole zone into not attacking that lone remaining, probably undefended tower, this still achieves the same thing. The purpose of breakouts is to prevent teams from being heavily spawn camped with no recourse for reopening the map. If a server has a tower, they by definition have a presence on the map to work from. Opposing servers would lose more by not capping that tower than they would from allowing the breakout event to start. Honestly, think about it, they’d be letting their enemy keep a tower so that they wouldn’t have access to an event that makes it easier to capture a tower. That’s pretty self-defeating.

in WvW

Syeria.4812

This is a huge step in the right direction. Most of the time you get those terrible repair bills WHEN you are under the out-manned buff. I’m a 80 full exotic war, and I defend, attack, siege, and gorilla squad … and the worst repair bills have always come in / when we have the out-manned buff – most are fine to hold a keep or tower or two or paint the map otherwise.

Actually, that brings up an interesting possibility. Maybe the “Outmanned” buff should reduce repair costs. That could help encourage players to stick around while outmanned. I know the buff frequently has the effect of notifying a certain subset of players that it’s time to pack it in and do something else.

in WvW

Posted by: zen.6091

zen.6091

Looks pretty good!

I am wondering though, with the end of alt f4, could someone from anet officially confirm that grappling hook is in fact the skill engi’s were supposed to be using when downed? I had just figured alt f4 was sorta there in lieu of something remotely helpful compared to what other classes have to enhance their chances of surviving a down.

in WvW

Posted by: Thrumdi.9216

Thrumdi.9216

Absolutely great!

Breakouts will breath life back into the Bordelands.

Just bring back the orbs (without snow-balling buffs), and the BL’s will be great again.

Thrumdi, Captain of The Tarnished Coastguard

The ultimate GW2 troll.

in WvW

Posted by: Aeden.5896

Aeden.5896

Sometimes my computer just reboots for no reason…

No it doesn’t

Haha, if only.

To be clear, I want ALT-F4 fixed. I just want a 1 – 2 min DC timer like every other MMO. If I disco during a 1vX I’m of course fine with you guys ravaging my motionless, helpless thief.

in WvW

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

Either way. PvE got more interesting this way too

That’s something that concerns me, actually – I’ve been hit with a spate of ‘getting disconnected from the servers’ lately, and they’re annoying enough without the prospect of coming back to be faced with a waypoint fee and damaged armour. If they can find a way to distinguish a player-initiated disconnect from a genuine one, I’d be all for it, but without that this could catch a lot of innocent people if it’s implemented in non-PvP parts of the game.

Personally, I think a better system would be to remove armour damage from WvW entirely and rebalance gold rewards appropriately. Or if it’s a measure to allow attrition of players, make WvW damage a separate kind of damage that requires supply to repair.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in WvW

Posted by: FuriousPop.2789

FuriousPop.2789

Sometimes my computer just reboots for no reason…

No it doesn’t

Haha, if only.

To be clear, I want ALT-F4 fixed. I just want a 1 – 2 min DC timer like every other MMO. If I disco during a 1vX I’m of course fine with you guys ravaging my motionless, helpless thief.

Lol, i totally forgot about that.

+1 for DC Timer

Good suggestion!

in WvW

Posted by: Enenion.8127

Enenion.8127

Either way. PvE got more interesting this way too

That’s something that concerns me, actually – I’ve been hit with a spate of ‘getting disconnected from the servers’ lately, and they’re annoying enough without the prospect of coming back to be faced with a waypoint fee and damaged armour. If they can find a way to distinguish a player-initiated disconnect from a genuine one, I’d be all for it, but without that this could catch a lot of innocent people if it’s implemented in non-PvP parts of the game.

Not to worry, the new system is only for disconnecting in WvW. PvE and even sPvP matches will not be affected in any way. This was confirmed by Habib on the first page.

[Help],
Fort Aspenwood

in WvW

Posted by: KensaiZen.3740

KensaiZen.3740

Breakout event is flawed by design. The npc will only move once enough people are gathered. If you had 8 people you can attack 2 forts at the same time and capture at least one of them.

This seems to be designed for attackers gaining a foothold in the defenders area. If its only for the defenders then the reason why they lost their map is because they have so few players to defend in the first place. Having an npc to help take a fort is pointless since it doesnt actually help the numbers game.

I can predict it will be abused for farming inWvW. Npc helps take fort. Attackers so few to hold fort. Rinse and repeat.

WvW is a numbers game. If 1 side does not have decent numbers, it just wouldnt work.

Winters Ascension The White Guardian
Sophia Theos Beast Master
[Fissure of Woe]

in WvW

Posted by: ViRuE.3612

ViRuE.3612

Threads like this make my brain hurt. All good changes, all better than before. Yet a tiny vocal minority are already up in arms complaining about random DCs and at most a couple of silver repair costs? Big deal, in WvWvW everyone suffers in a small way from your DC – maybe update your drivers, settings, ISP or rig and do everyone on the server a favor?

in WvW

Posted by: Ksielvin.1587

Ksielvin.1587

Thanks for the patch hints and thanks to the team working on these.

Gotta say I’m a bit doubtful about the NPC commander thingy beforehand. AI will matter a lot. More importantly it could create a situation where most people are telling everyone to not take the last enemy tower (because it’ll spawn this event) yet a small group is sieging it regardless of the yelling. Meanwhile enemies are letting them taking it and waiting in their base for commander+dolyak.

The supply from spawn sounds good though. Perhaps the special dolyak is all that needs to be spawned, permanently or temporarily. Note though that zergs will fetch unlimited supply from these dolyaks – even from other maps – so that needs to be kept in mind while balancing.

in WvW

Posted by: Moka.9641

Moka.9641

Alt+F4 is no escape
If someone that you’re fighting disconnects during combat (via Alt+F4, killing the client process, etc.) their character will be instantly killed, death penalties will be applied, and XP & loot will be handed out as usual.

*No!

It’s not completely clear.

Can you clarify that you will only die when you specifically use Alt+F4/killing the client process, or you will die in any form of disconnection (including accidental internet loss, client crash, etc)? Does the client recognize the difference between Alt+F4 and Internet disconnection/Client crash?

[AW]- The Holy Engineer

in WvW

Posted by: Sekin.7803

Sekin.7803

One side loses in wvw because it is outmanned. If we have the number, we do not need the npc commander gimmick. If we do not have the number, the npc commander will not even start to do his things. Something in the design does not seem right.

in WvW

Posted by: Bertrand.3057

Bertrand.3057

If Alt-F4 applying to unintentional disconnects is indeed a nuisance for some people, pin the blame on those who claimed that it was a “legitimate tactic”, willfully contradicting the available evidence and forcing A-Net’s hand. At least some of those responsible for making this fix necessary have identified themselves quite openly on these forums.

Talleyrand, Captain and Commander of the Bloody Pirates
Asura on patrol in defense of Gandara and Bessie!
Administrator of http://thisisgandara.com

in WvW

Posted by: Eugenides.1274

Eugenides.1274

I’m looking forward to these changes, but are we going to be seeing changes made to actual commanders anytime soon?

Squads feels like an afterthought. They have the potential to be a great asset to a server and could also possibly encourage players to fight in more tactical ways (not just zerging everything). Yet, here we are 4 months in and all commanders have access to are unintuitive chat commands and a blue dot on the map.

Attolis – Beyond the Wall [Crow]
Gandara

in WvW

Posted by: Broseph.1059

Broseph.1059

I am concerned…

Some of us don’t have the best internet connection and I dc quite often, its annoying that I will be punished for DC’ing and having to pay extra repairs. When I DC I usually quit the game because it takes too long for the GW2 game to recognize it has dc’d (Players just walk in one direction continuously).

I don’t think many people will be concerned about this but its just annoying

in WvW

Posted by: Ualtar.5047

Ualtar.5047

One side loses in wvw because it is outmanned. If we have the number, we do not need the npc commander gimmick. If we do not have the number, the npc commander will not even start to do his things. Something in the design does not seem right.

it seems to be designed to help attack enemy BLs. Rather then getting stuck flipping the southern supply camps only, now a small number of people will have a fighting chance to take the southern keep. With a small foothold the BLs become much more interesting.

Alrekr Yerling
Khazad Fundinul [KF] – Tarnished Coast

in WvW

Posted by: Blacky Sheaperd.8690

Blacky Sheaperd.8690

I’m extremely happy with the changes being aplied.

I was on the camp that truly hated the Alt-F4’ers and this is exactly what we wanted. thank you arena net!

The issue with walls is also a great fix, was tired of these odd wall issues, there one sec, gone the next, then right back up, making assaults very annoying if the enemy spammed repairing them.

another great fix!

Main and WVW wrecking machine~Shockroas.
80 farming warrior~Malora Steelfang.
maximum ganker~Sir Gangplank.

in WvW

Posted by: akanibbles.6237

akanibbles.6237

Excellent comms and excellent mods! Keep up the good work guys!!!!

in WvW

Posted by: akanibbles.6237

akanibbles.6237

The NPC commander is a great idea.. too many join a map and then leave because they see that it is camped. This change will at least cause some of them to group up and push to an objective.

in WvW

Posted by: Gengis.3806

Gengis.3806

My say on ALT+F4 = no Escape

People affected by this:
People who DC during a fight > 0,00001%
People who abuse ALT+f4 during a fight > 99,99999%

If u get stuck in combat mode, u know that is easy to get “unstuck”, just kill a mob or just run far away; is not rocket science ….
If u get DC during a fight, well, u will loose almost a silver, thats pretty harsh … u maybe go broke after this =/ …. (insert sarcasm sign)
If u get DC constantly when u fight, u cant play PvE or sPvP or WvW … Maybe is time to change the PC, or the game =/

In my opinion this work very well, i lost count how manny kills i lost because of ALT+F4, was about time get a fix for that =p

in WvW

Posted by: Aveneo.2068

Aveneo.2068

Whilst I am very happy to (hopefully) see an end to all the Alt-F4 spammers, I was wondering about something.

Usually when I stop playing WvW, I log off at the initial spawn point (the one where you’re invulnerable). But will I die on the spot there too if I log off for the night?

I’d really like to hear if the game would also treat that as a ‘disconnect’ and kill me, and if I first have to go through the portal to LA or not before logging off.

Valiant Aislinn – Aveneo Lightbringer – Shalene Amuriel – Dread Cathulu
Fojja – Vyxxi – Nymmra – Mymmra – Champion of Dwayna .. and more

Highly Over Powered Explorers [HOPE] – Desolation EU

in WvW

Posted by: Dimes.9654

Dimes.9654

Is there a way to track one’s personnal stats/ personnel lookup? Hopefully something like that might be in store for the future?

in WvW

Syeria.4812

Threads like this make my brain hurt. All good changes, all better than before. Yet a tiny vocal minority are already up in arms complaining about random DCs and at most a couple of silver repair costs? Big deal, in WvWvW everyone suffers in a small way from your DC – maybe update your drivers, settings, ISP or rig and do everyone on the server a favor?

Check what the people are actually saying and maybe you’ll have a better time. People are pointing out that while this is a major improvement (and thanking the devs for the change), it does hurt people who disconnect through no fault of their own.

But how ignorant do you have to be to suggest “fixes?” If we could fix our disconnects, we’d have done it long before now. Many people literally have no other options for ISP or connection type. Short of buying up my ISP and demanding they improve their infrastructure to fix my connection, that’s not an option unless I find new housing.

in WvW

Syeria.4812

Whilst I am very happy to (hopefully) see an end to all the Alt-F4 spammers, I was wondering about something.

Usually when I stop playing WvW, I log off at the initial spawn point (the one where you’re invulnerable). But will I die on the spot there too if I log off for the night?

I’d really like to hear if the game would also treat that as a ‘disconnect’ and kill me, and if I first have to go through the portal to LA or not before logging off.

It only affects you if you’re in combat.

in WvW

Syeria.4812

If u get stuck in combat mode, u know that is easy to get “unstuck”, just kill a mob or just run far away; is not rocket science ….

You know this is completely false right? Generally, the only way to get unstuck from combat mode is to kill the enemy that incited the stuck or to log out. Killing other mobs will have absolutely no effect, and running away is probably what caused the stuck in the first place (that or the enemy ran away).

in WvW

Posted by: Aveneo.2068

Aveneo.2068

It only affects you if you’re in combat.

Ah, I see it now (guess I should have read Habib’s note better) :P

Thanks

Valiant Aislinn – Aveneo Lightbringer – Shalene Amuriel – Dread Cathulu
Fojja – Vyxxi – Nymmra – Mymmra – Champion of Dwayna .. and more

Highly Over Powered Explorers [HOPE] – Desolation EU

in WvW

Posted by: Bertrand.3057

Bertrand.3057

If you get stuck in combat mode, find a cliff and jump off it.

Talleyrand, Captain and Commander of the Bloody Pirates
Asura on patrol in defense of Gandara and Bessie!
Administrator of http://thisisgandara.com

in WvW

Posted by: Skribulous.3521

Skribulous.3521

What I’m wondering now is that who is the prominent player/dev/community member the NPC Commander is named after. (Like Siegemaster Dulfy…)

in WvW

Posted by: RedBaron.6058

RedBaron.6058

It is a very good effort from ArenaNet, well done.

BUT, if WvWvW rewards are not increased I will not loose my time, effort and repair armor money doing it.

“Blackadder: If you want something done properly, kill Baldrick before you start.”

in WvW

Posted by: Malzeth.2168

Malzeth.2168

Can you have the WvW team code in a players camera zoom to be farther out when a player uses a siege item, that would be amazing.

Crystal Desert / Guardian, Ranger, Ele, Engi “pewpew!” “NO YOU FOCUS!!”

in WvW

Posted by: Varonth.5830

Varonth.5830

I just hope that you will also decrease the amount of rewards zergs gain soon.
Like just 1 or 2 loot drops per playerkill max, and less rewards from capping objectives with massive zergs.

20 Players killing one Player should not rewards 15 players loot bags, with 10 of them getting an items with the word ‘honor’ in it.

in WvW

Posted by: fIshy.5719

fIshy.5719

So, a great NPC commander. What happens now is, that a side, which captures a keep in EB (usually the last defensive structure of the opposing team) gets it lost immediately because of unkillable buffing NPC beast? WOW, thats gonna be so much fun -.-

in WvW

Posted by: NealCaffrey.6450

NealCaffrey.6450

Sounds like a start. I hope breakout events aren’t a complete failure and exploited within the first day somehow which makes WvW worse while waiting for February lol.

Commander Rañger Dañger
Leader of Cryptic Gaze[iSpy]
Evermoor Alliance (iSpy, JAWA, WAR) – Dragonbrand

in WvW

Posted by: Bones.5762

Bones.5762

well personally everything sounds good, but i think the only thing i dislike is the insta build walls and gates, i really enjoyed it as it really helps the smaller force when they are defending to divide the larger force.

Will you help me move?

in WvW

Syeria.4812

So, a great NPC commander. What happens now is, that a side, which captures a keep in EB (usually the last defensive structure of the opposing team) gets it lost immediately because of unkillable buffing NPC beast? WOW, thats gonna be so much fun -.-

The description of the event didn’t say it would attack the last structure captured. In fact, it specifically mentions the NPC attacking a “tower lord” so it’s better to assume that the breakout event would target a tower, and not a keep. It also doesn’t indicate the NPC would be unkillable, just that it will provide buffs and supply along with helping the siege effort. Since defenders are said to “have their work cut out for them” it’s strongly implied that stopping the attack is reasonable.

in WvW

Posted by: Rednik.3809

Rednik.3809

Alt-F4 is going to be fixed and yet someone complains about it? Ze kitten? In heavy fights, like assault of full captured and upgraded borderland, you can easily die 10 times in 30 mins, and nobody complains about it, but here, “OMG I WILL BE FORCED TO PAY 1.9s ON ALT+F… ERR, ON RANDOM DISCONNECT, REVERT THIS CHANGE kitten ”. Pathetic.

Kiijna, Xast, Satis Ironwail, Sekhaina, Shira Forgesparkle, Sfeno, Nasibi, Tegeira, Rhonwe…
25 charracters

in WvW

Posted by: Bharel.4328

Bharel.4328

Why not make free armor repairs or no armor damage (on a legitimate death) part of the outmanned buff?

Thudden Bluhndr, the lost Norn
Sanctum of Rall
[GSCH] The Gaiscioch Family

in WvW

Posted by: Eirik.9145

Eirik.9145

I’m not quite sure what the breakout event is supposed to accomplish. So the team that controls the map gives up the tower being attacked by the commander NPC and if he leaves after taking the tower, they just zerg the tower and take it right back. Did anything really change? Does the event then start all over again?

Unless the NPC Commander drops pretty good loot, what’s the point in wasting resources defending the tower he attacks? Wait until he leaves and then take the tower back. If he does drop decent loot, why let him get to a tower? The controlling force can still camp the spawning area, they’ll just do it with larger numbers, arrow carts, and ballista.

Either way, did that really solve anything? If a force doesn’t have numbers, they won’t be able to keep what they take anyway, NPC Commander or not.

in WvW

Posted by: NeuroMuse.1763

NeuroMuse.1763

I don’t get the repair cost issues people bring up? Is this some kind of kitten excuse as to why they cry and exit the game if someone is about to beat them ?

The repair costs never amount to anything significant. You can solely do nothing but WvW and make plenty of coin to cover that, gear and other things if you’re actually actively killing and doing things and not afking at random just following some zerg around.

in WvW

Posted by: Omaris Mortuus Est.2738

Omaris Mortuus Est.2738

OMG no more rage quitters! Thank you Anet!

This exploit has been so severely abused by so many people that WvW was becoming meaningless and unrewarding. Now these people have no reason to use it and even if they do the attacker is still rewarded for their hard work!

Cannot wait for this patch!

Macros, you can use them as long as they arent macros.
Remember to buy the officially endorsed GW2 Steel Series Keyboard, it supports macros!
WvW, we only care if it affects the servers we play on.

in WvW

Posted by: JaNordy.6149

JaNordy.6149

You people dont seem to understand why repair costs is bad. Say your a guardian and your job is to charge enemy line and break it. You got entire zerg attacking you, almost guaranteeing death, but you break it and team follows you. Meanwhile all range guys in back follow through without dying. They pick you back up. Congrats you just lost nearly 2 silver for doing your job right.

Do you not see the problem that makes? Why punish builds or classes that are more prone to dying? I see long range classes never die in battles thus never losing money. Why should short range classes be punished more? I have yet to get a answer from any of you defending repair cost. No, saying “DEATH SHOULD BE PUNISHED” does not answer ANY of those questions.

in WvW

Posted by: Leogolas.6941

Leogolas.6941

[quote=970001;Bharel.4328:]

[TSA] The Stuffed Animals
~We Are Deadly When Required~

in WvW

Posted by: mOlder.4803

mOlder.4803

You people dont seem to understand why repair costs is bad. Say your a guardian and your job is to charge enemy line and break it. You got entire zerg attacking you, almost guaranteeing death..

I’m a guardian. I can make you a few pointers if you like I charge in among the first in our “warband” but are likely to die last. I think you probably spec or play wrong

Slaraigh [CIR] – Norn Guardian

in WvW

Posted by: NeuroMuse.1763

NeuroMuse.1763

Disconnected from internet/PC crashed – surely Anet will have enough smarts to detect if IP gone all together or just closed the client…….

There isn’t any way to reliably do this and combat the problem at the same time. Say they detect a standard game exit or quit, triggered via menu or via alt f4, possibly via a forced closing on the process. If they are detecting it in any of the aforementioned ways all you have to is “turn of your wifi”, “unplug the ethernet” etc.. and your connection would “timeout” as if you had a natural disconnect and you know what all the butt hurt kids that rage quit out of the game would do? They would start unplugging cables and turning off their wifi instead.

The kind of disconnects/crashes you describe do not happen frequent enough for it to be a “major” problem in WvW (you have to run back if you disconnect a lot then you arn’t contributing anything anyway) it’s very minor in terms of collateral damage. If someone does have these issue so frequent for it to cause a problem for them they need to fix the source of the issue instead of ignoring it.

(edited by NeuroMuse.1763)

in WvW

Posted by: dreztina.4820

dreztina.4820

I’ll miss logging out, but oh well, not a huge deal. I’ll probably just take fewer risks than I do now. I still have a few more days to enjoy it at least.

Out of Attunement – D/D Ele
Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

Does the commander ride the dolyak into battle?

Please say yes.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

in WvW

Posted by: insanesu.3965

insanesu.3965

“Alt+F4 = dead”
no good, cuz I have crashes 1-8 times per hour (big thanks for last updates) when I see enemy’s zerg.

Jolly Insane | Insane Empire [INS] | www.insaneempire.com
Piken Square (unofficial roletrollplay server)

in WvW

Posted by: Offski.4897

Offski.4897

Not at all keen on this breakout event. Just more pve in wvw, I don’t get it.

If a server needs to get a foothold in a border they need to get organsied and take forces to that border. Give the old 3 orb buff to outmanned servers, this breakout idea is just pve trash and will completely change the mechanics of the game, but not in a good way.

How often will this event start? How long will this npc last for? So it will be pointless attacking towers/keeps near spawn or defending them? Anet need to learn that major changes like this need to be discussed with the wvw community and examined in a beta environment.

Can only see this as being a complete balls up on Anet’s part. There are far more important things to resolve than this pve solution to a pvp part of the game.

Offski
Necromancer – Sanctum of Rall[IRON]
http://www.iron-gaming.com/