Commander chat suppression

in WvW

Posted by: chrisk.4320

chrisk.4320

Eh, it’s not always bots. I’ve seen people run their mouth afoul in sPvP lobby or even sPvP games. It’s to prevent ranting.

However, a commander has to rant for people to pay attention. If the commander is ranting off-topic stuff, then people will report him.

in WvW

Posted by: Taggund.8936

Taggund.8936

The problem is there are no benefits to being in a squad, and only a negative. The desired option is changing the suppression settings for when a commander has his icon turned on and is in a BL. Of course, having a real reason to be in a squad would be desired too.

in WvW

Posted by: Eviator.9746

Eviator.9746

Every time I right click a commander and select “Join Squad”, nothing happens. Am I doing it wrong?

Sheldor the Eidetic (Group Engi) | Shorty McShinkicker (Solo Engi) |Turanga (Solo Mes)
Doing what I can for DB during EU primetime

in WvW

Posted by: SoPP.7034

SoPP.7034

Every time I right click a commander and select “Join Squad”, nothing happens. Am I doing it wrong?

I find the ‘join squad’ option doesn’t work if I do it via the map. I’ve found I had select their actual toon and right click to join squad.

Now that I think about it, that’s actually a good metaphor for the current commander system =.=

A warrior, a guardian, and an elementalist walk into an open field…
The Warrior turns to the guardian and says, “Did you hear something?”
Guardian replies, “No, but how’d the elementalist die?”

in WvW

Posted by: Hexin.5603

Hexin.5603

^^ map join squad does not work, hoping it was broke in last wvw update. However … you select there avatar character running around, right click there name plate/image, join squad works every time.

Just have to be by him to join.

Willing to pay for boxed expansion if you put legit GvG in the box $$

in WvW

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Another thing that is missing: Priority for commanders in WvW queue. It sucks when all WvW commanders are stuck in a one hour queue.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

in WvW

Posted by: Vi Au.8341

Vi Au.8341

Another thing that is missing: Priority for commanders in WvW queue. It sucks when all WvW commanders are stuck in a one hour queue.

that wouldnt work cuze ppl will just buy a commander icon just to get in faster

in WvW

Posted by: silverfire.2547

silverfire.2547

What if commanders’ public chat suppression thresholds were given a base increase with additional scaling based on squad size?

That way they’d get (completely arbitrary example:) three more allowed lines of text per 15 second window, with an additional one added to their threshold per ten squad members. Obviously someone needs to do their due diligence in figuring out the right numbers in backend code, but ultimately if bots begin to exploit public chat limits being increased in order to do more botty things, commanders are a far smaller subset of the player base that it’s easier to track down.

Mira Alluvion (Me) | Hanna Bulwark (W) | Sophie Dusthaven (Th)
[CoSA]/[WWGD] // Sorrow’s Furnace (since August 2012) US West Evening Shift

in WvW

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

that wouldnt work cuze ppl will just buy a commander icon just to get in faster

Maybe, or if its an organised server they will turn commander off to let the real commanders in faster.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

in WvW

Posted by: Seren.6850

Seren.6850

squad chat is detrimental to commanding, we need a raid interface already

SoS original -“They mostly come out at night … mostly”
[FIRE] Serene Snow, Warrior

in WvW

Posted by: Jeknar.6184

Jeknar.6184

This thread is missing Ahmrill.7512…

Kawagima / Kelvena Riverstream / Calamis Fatima / Hanna Flintlocke
WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points
Mërcenaries [Sold] – Ferguson’s Crossing

in WvW

Posted by: Eviator.9746

Eviator.9746

^^ map join squad does not work, hoping it was broke in last wvw update. However … you select there avatar character running around, right click there name plate/image, join squad works every time.

Just have to be by him to join.

Hmmm, I thought that’s what I was doing… have to try again.

Sheldor the Eidetic (Group Engi) | Shorty McShinkicker (Solo Engi) |Turanga (Solo Mes)
Doing what I can for DB during EU primetime

in WvW

Posted by: Roo Stercogburn.9671

Roo Stercogburn.9671

Many months ago I agreed with preventing commander chat suppression. Now I don’t ever want to see it removed.

All the PvE commanders who may be great at sorting some Lost Shore encounter I don’t care about turn up in WvW with a sense of entitlement that I’m grateful they face the same restrictions as everyone else who logs on to WvW for the first time. Its great that they found the Great Google Tome Of Commanding and and all, but I only look for names that I’ve seen showing up and making sense week in week out.

The tag means nothing. Until its on someone that means something.

Master Baker on Gunnars Hold serving you hot cookies.
Looney vids at http://www.youtube.com/feed/UCRhCtfrF9GhxU1CoeZSN0kQ/u
Midnight Mayhem

in WvW

Posted by: Grimpaw.7493

Grimpaw.7493

The main thing is fixing squad so that it is useful. Increasing the 30 person cap and showing squad commander in a different color from other commanders would be a start. When squad is only a benefit then the good servers will switch to using it to prevent suppression.
I could see a /command for commanders that asked all non-squad members in the local area whether they want to join the squad to be quite helpful as well.

~ Sleight of Mind ~ mesmer
~ Ann Du Lance ~ guardian
Tarnished Coast

in WvW

Posted by: Jarni.7402

Jarni.7402

….Or give them Shooter like menu with standard sentences like, attack!/retreat!/move!/follow!/…. even I can program such a thing.

I personally love that idea. Create a whole new Commander UI that spawns when a Commander puts his tag up. Why not?

Servers: Desolation (1) / Piken Square (2)
Main characters: Jarni The Catmander (1) / Jarni Goes Wild (2)
Gank Me Harder [FURY]

in WvW

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

Im sorry to say but on my server nobody uses squad because u cant see where the other commanders are after joining the squad

Funny, I join squads because I don’t see the other commanders then. Because the only ones that have to know where other commanders are, are commanders.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

in WvW

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

I’ll have to agree that Squad chat is useless. We all need to be in the loop at all times. Meaning, map chat is where we all need to be. Which in WvW should not have any suppression at all. If someone is spamming on it, we have ignore to take care of that.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in WvW

Posted by: Porky.5021

Porky.5021

No. No special chat privileges just because someone spent 100 gold on an icon.

Overlord Of [NAKY]
SOS Spy Team Commander [SPY]

in WvW

Posted by: Porky.5021

Porky.5021

Too bad.

Having 100gold in game shouldn’t entitle you to priority queueing.

Overlord Of [NAKY]
SOS Spy Team Commander [SPY]

in WvW

Posted by: Maelwaedd.5842

Maelwaedd.5842

Make Squad chat, just like /m or /t chat and only available while in WvW

only commanders can type in it but it appears to all people on that commanders map

if there are more than 1 commander on a map then all commanders can all type in it

very few people ever join a commander’s squad hence why commander’s do not use it to chat but use map or team

if people join a commander they can type in another chat which will only appear to that commander and he can respond to, that way scouts or camp squads can talk to a commander without the entire map seeing

Maelwaedd Sylvari Necromancer Blackgate
Resonance WvW Officer
http://resonancegaming.com.au

in WvW

Iruwen.3164

Probably more people would join a squad if it wasn’t so broken (clicking the icon on the map and joining the squad doesn’t work at all, it used to work from time to time before the last patch) and if the party interface wasn’t so clunky.

in WvW

Jarni.7402

Make Squad chat, just like /m or /t chat and only available while in WvW

only commanders can type in it but it appears to all people on that commanders map

if there are more than 1 commander on a map then all commanders can all type in it

very few people ever join a commander’s squad hence why commander’s do not use it to chat but use map or team

if people join a commander they can type in another chat which will only appear to that commander and he can respond to, that way scouts or camp squads can talk to a commander without the entire map seeing

Sounds like a nice idea, though that would screw up the whole concept of a squad :p

Gank Me Harder [FURY]

in WvW

Jarni.7402

Such a shame that the March 26 update didn’t do anything about chat suppression, and not even about the Commander ability itself…

Gank Me Harder [FURY]

in WvW

Posted by: rocky.8602

rocky.8602

As others have mentioned the squad functionality is currently too low for it to ever be a viable solution for commander chat suppression. I would love to see an actual solution presented for this issue.

Lokos – 80th level Mesmer
Guild Leader and Commander for Grindhouse Gaming [GH]
Ehmry Bay

in WvW

Jarni.7402

As others have mentioned the squad functionality is currently too low for it to ever be a viable solution for commander chat suppression. I would love to see an actual solution presented for this issue.

Me too, mate, me too…
And we’re far from the only ones. We just need ANet to see this problem.

Gank Me Harder [FURY]

in WvW

Posted by: Bertrand.3057

Bertrand.3057

Never had a problem with chat suppression. If someone doesn’t listen to you the first time, they probably won’t the second time. If you do need to repeat yourself, it’s not like you can’t change up what you write.
E.g. instead of:

push
push
push
~You have been suppressed~
kitten

You could say,
push in 3
push now
keep pushing

Talleyrand, Captain and Commander of the Bloody Pirates
Asura on patrol in defense of Gandara and Bessie!
Administrator of http://thisisgandara.com

(edited by Bertrand.3057)

in WvW

Posted by: Pvp.2758

Pvp.2758

Never had a problem with chat suppression. If someone doesn’t listen to you the first time, they probably won’t the second time. If you do need to repeat yourself, it’s not like you can’t change up what you write.
E.g. instead of:

push
push
push
~You have been suppressed~
kitten

You could say,
push in 3
push now
keep pushing

Push in 3
~Suppressed~

S(KILL) Gametypes > WvW & sPVP

in WvW

Posted by: Bertrand.3057

Bertrand.3057

Perhaps there’s different rules for say and map chat, then? I have no objection to someone being chat suppressed for trying to give local commands that block out map intel.

Talleyrand, Captain and Commander of the Bloody Pirates
Asura on patrol in defense of Gandara and Bessie!
Administrator of http://thisisgandara.com

in WvW

Posted by: Cosmos The Cat.2954

Cosmos The Cat.2954

Here’s my fix for tomes.. The regular gets what 3 messages when it gets supressed? Give the tome twice that. It always gets me on that last order.. so I mean … just double the total before a tome can be suppressed..

And the squad feature is completely useless. I hardly ever use it, and the color of squad hurts my eyes for whatever odd reason..so I don’t use it.

TC Thief
[DIS][STAR]

in WvW

Jarni.7402

Here’s my fix for tomes.. The regular gets what 3 messages when it gets supressed? Give the tome twice that. It always gets me on that last order.. so I mean … just double the total before a tome can be suppressed..

And the squad feature is completely useless. I hardly ever use it, and the color of squad hurts my eyes for whatever odd reason..so I don’t use it.

Agreed, that would definitely help a lot.
The most important commands are always the first ones to be suppressed, and it is annoying as hell….

Gank Me Harder [FURY]

in WvW

Iruwen.3164

Probably more people would join a squad if it wasn’t so broken (clicking the icon on the map and joining the squad doesn’t work at all, it used to work from time to time before the last patch) and if the party interface wasn’t so clunky.

…and joining a squad is still broken after yesterday’s patch.

in WvW

Posted by: Meryt.9823

Meryt.9823

I can imagine the scenario where gold spammers pop commander tags to indulge their nepharious activities.
Any commander worth their salt will be on TS/Vent and have allies to post in chat for JP, Reinforcements etc.

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster.

in WvW

Jarni.7402

I can imagine the scenario where gold spammers pop commander tags to indulge their nepharious activities.
Any commander worth their salt will be on TS/Vent and have allies to post in chat for JP, Reinforcements etc.

Nahhh they’d get reported in a minute

Gank Me Harder [FURY]

in WvW

Posted by: Robot Chocken.7012

Robot Chocken.7012

Abolish commander chat suppression NOW!

Wok, Master Asura of [QT]

in WvW

Posted by: Nuked.2360

Nuked.2360

A lot of what commander’s say is repetitive and when you say it three times you get suppressed. This is pretty ridiculous because it can make or break a fight if you can’t communicate with some of your team who isn’t on VoIP for whatever reason.

Destructive Nuked|ascending-redemption.enjin.com|AR Driver/Leader

in WvW

Posted by: lilz shorty.1879

lilz shorty.1879

One of the reasons commanders may have to repress themselves is because unless you know the commander or already saw they had a tag, when they speak in chat, you do not know they are a commander. When in WvW they should allow the commander tag to be displayed next to the name in CHAT. That would catch everyone’s attention as to where to go. Maybe have a commander color to go with it or commander only chat.

“Morfeus X” || Team: Apex Prime
“Best Guardian NA”

in WvW

Posted by: Ballads.2509

Ballads.2509

One of the reasons commanders may have to repress themselves is because unless you know the commander or already saw they had a tag, when they speak in chat, you do not know they are a commander. When in WvW they should allow the commander tag to be displayed next to the name in CHAT. That would catch everyone’s attention as to where to go. Maybe have a commander color to go with it or commander only chat.

I used to ping the buff icon to get people attention for a while.

in WvW

Posted by: lilz shorty.1879

lilz shorty.1879

Shouldn’t have to. I unfortunately got this idea from runescape. When you see a mod talking, you saw a crown next to his name. Same for a developer, except his crown was gold. It caught everyone’s attention whenever they talked.

“Morfeus X” || Team: Apex Prime
“Best Guardian NA”

in WvW

Jarni.7402

Shouldn’t have to. I unfortunately got this idea from runescape. When you see a mod talking, you saw a crown next to his name. Same for a developer, except his crown was gold. It caught everyone’s attention whenever they talked.

Ahhhhh… Good old RuneScape…
But yeah that is a great idea indeed. I remember asking a mod where he got his crown from :p stupid question, but I was only 12 years old or something like that
I really think GW2 should do the same with Commanders

Gank Me Harder [FURY]

in WvW

Posted by: Vayle.7964

Vayle.7964

I only get supressed spamming teamspeak info, and people are complaining about me not commanding in team chat and only on teamspeak, do they really think I can actively type while fighting enemy zergs? especially now that AR and RS are not just zergs, but blobs…
would be awesome if there was some VOIP in GW2… I would rather have that than less supression, really

Commander Vayle The Eternal,
Guild Leader Varangian Guard [VG]

in WvW

Jarni.7402

I only get supressed spamming teamspeak info, and people are complaining about me not commanding in team chat and only on teamspeak, do they really think I can actively type while fighting enemy zergs? especially now that AR and RS are not just zergs, but blobs…
would be awesome if there was some VOIP in GW2… I would rather have that than less supression, really

That’s the hard part indeed, typing while playing. Though it’s what I do all the time
But yeah VOIP in-game would be nice, rather than having everyone download TeamSpeak or something alike…

Gank Me Harder [FURY]

in WvW

Posted by: EnemyCrusher.7324

EnemyCrusher.7324

Abolish commander chat suppression NOW!

I can just imagine the spambot commanders in LA now…

Light of Honor [Lite] – Founder / Warmaster
Sorrow’s Furnace Commander
“You’re the mount, karka’s ride you instead, and thus they die happy!”-Colin Johanson

in WvW

Posted by: Mattjavelin.5164

Mattjavelin.5164

Yeah the pugs wont get teamspeak or mumble so we have to use chat -_-. It is really annoying when we get suppressed when its really urgent. At least relax the suppression on commanders.

lvl 80 Engineer, Commander Berylia Berret, (BKB) Black Knight Brigade

in WvW

Posted by: Rawnoodles.1398

Rawnoodles.1398

Commander UI is so broken, its just a mundane icon to help route. All top WvW guilds use voice chat without a doubt. IG chat is not META nor as effective.

Rawnoodles | Mini Noodles
[ESOL] -Elite Solidarity| Driver|
" Latest Video "

in WvW

Posted by: frostshade.3617

frostshade.3617

So what is being said here actually is squads need to be fixed not chat well time to start a new thread about that

Scratch that found it https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/wuvwuv/suggestion-making-squads-more-usefull/first#post1815217

commander frostseir(sylvari,guardian) commander frostetics(norn,ele)
Os guild

(edited by frostshade.3617)

in WvW

Posted by: Xavi.6591

Xavi.6591

I’m aware you are all posting about public chat but I just wanted to post a reminder that commanders are never suppressed in squad chat.

Without reading all the reponses after yours, here is the problem with Squad chat:

1. It looks like Squad allows a maximum of 25 players, so this limits Squad Chat
2. When in a Squad, you can no longer see other commanders (blue doritos) on the map. This makes joining a squad often a detriment to map coordination between commanders.

Fantasme Bloodwen [R.I.P. Mesmer] | Andi Runi [Warrior] | Bonedoggle [Necro] | Zooerasty [Ranger]
Angry Intent [AI] | Yak’s Bend |

in WvW

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

I’m aware you are all posting about public chat but I just wanted to post a reminder that commanders are never suppressed in squad chat.

Without reading all the reponses after yours, here is the problem with Squad chat:

1. It looks like Squad allows a maximum of 25 players, so this limits Squad Chat
2. When in a Squad, you can no longer see other commanders (blue doritos) on the map. This makes joining a squad often a detriment to map coordination between commanders.

1) It’s 30 (29+commander), just an FYI
2) And yes…. One time I joined a commanders squad in a BL, then hopped over to EB to see if they had a commander, and reported to my commander that they didn’t….because I had forgotten I was in a squad. They did have a commander, I just couldn’t see them.

Squads are useless.

I was commanding yesterday and got supressed again. Of the five times I’ve commanded, I’ve been supressed three times. I was in mumble, but about 50% of the people following me were not.

This really needs a fix.

in WvW

Posted by: Jace.6973

Jace.6973

I’ve recently stopped commanding PUGS because of this, My commanding style requires a lot of “Stop, Buffs/Boons/Shouts, Stack, Push, Get back, Hold the choke,” ect the list goes on. And it’s super annoying to go stack, buffs up, then “suppressed” when you say push, or “suppressed” when you say fall back. Next thing you know your group is wiped, and now the morale among-st your PUGS hits the floor.

For these reasons I now mostly command my guild and we use TS3.

I’ll only come command pugs if there’s
A, No active commanders on the map.
B, I get called to command on the map by an ally.

I know there’s really no way to get around chat suppression because I can see both sides of it, that people would abuse it if taken away, but just having squad chat is useless no one ever joins my squad because there is no reason too. And if you tell the pugs too, you would be lucky if 1/5th of them did…

Commander: X Braveheart
Shiverpeak Mafia[MoB] Leader
Northern Shiverpeaks

in WvW

Posted by: Talmor.9048

Talmor.9048

Consider me subscribed to this thread. It made it very hard this afternoon commanding PUGs while taking back multiple camps. Could not talk after the first few things that I said. Please eliminate chat suppression for Commanders.

Having people join your squad is a poor excuse. Most people do not even know what a squad is, let alone how to join it!!!

- Farstrike
Dragon Brand

in WvW

Posted by: Fuzzion.2504

Fuzzion.2504

Btw, u can see habib on google plus. He makes comments about gw2 over there that never make their way here.

Fuzzionx [SF]
Guest member of [LOVE]
JQ official Prime Minister