Could they have picked worse skins for WvW?

in WvW

Posted by: Distaste.4801

Distaste.4801

I think people are misunderstanding the reason for why this armour was added and maybe should look more at the positive side of the improvement.

First people QQ that they have to do PvE to obtain the exotics with different stat combinations. So Anet puts in gear with different stat combos that allows you to stay in WvW yet people still QQ. Seriously if people rage quit because they got what they asked for but didn’t get a shiny skin that’s just sad tbh.

Sure new unique skin looks for WvW would be nice but that doesn’t change the fact that this is an improvement. I also highly disagree with putting unique dungeon skins in WvW. Those skins are for the those specific dungeons only. I’m all for more unique skins but current unique skins should stay with the places you obtain them from and should stay unique to that content.

So yes you get crappy basic skins but at least you get the stat combinations you need within WvW itself. Just like everyone I would love to see nicer unique skins for WvW and I’m pretty confident that they will in time but until they can invest resources into making these we at least have access to good gear.

In this patch you’ve received huge improvement in culling, you get different stat options for gear, you get character progression so you have a new purpose within WvW to work on. Maybe focus on all that’s been added and not what has not yet been added.

Things take time to develop especially in a game type that requires careful balancing/testing and there’s only so many resources that can be invested in various things. I sincerely appreciate the improvements we have received this patch and knowing they will continue to work on improving things is great as well just have to be more patient. The game only has been out 7 months and loads of content has been added/improved since launch and they will continue to improve all parts of the game.

As for ascended gear. Who cares about that unless you are into hardcore gear threadmill fractal grind. Those couple of extra stats aren’t going to make the difference between winning or losing if you aren’t a good player. If you want more competitive pvp you can do spvp. WvW at the end of the day is just a giant open world free for all, mostly casual pvp zone. Things aren’t controlled nor fair so who cares about about a couple more stats that mean nothing when majority of the time fights are uneven, this isn’t WoW where a couple of extra stats = win.

The fact that WvW from day 1 didn’t have unique skins and all the stat combinations was a slap in the face. The devs could have fixed it in a month, but they didn’t. Adding armor/weapons to a vendor is not hard and does not require 7 months of work. People are requesting dungeon skins now simply because it is abundantly apparent that ArenaNet is not going to make decent unique WvW skins. Skins are a reason that many joined this game, if they aren’t that important, as you suggest, who cares if the dungeon skins get used for WvW?

Culling should not have been in WvW, PERIOD. This was a giant design oversight and now you’re saying we should be thankful that they finally fixed it? ArenaNet should be apologizing to us, not us thanking them. Sure we do get new stats on gear, but it’s only 6 months late. The progression system is an absolute joke and once again should not have taken 7 months, it’s a simple UI and some passive buffs. But lets focus on what we’ve gotten before this patch: content removed because it was poorly designed and that’s about it. Yay? I definitely feel that ArenaNet has made WvW a major focus of their development(wheres the sarcasm font?).

As for balancing, have you actually played the game? The class balance in this game is laughable and the content they just added to WvW doesn’t even require testing to know if it’s balanced because the bonuses are so underwhelming. Even EB map isn’t balanced, so why in the world would balance be a huge issue now? The answer is that it isn’t and WvW just isn’t their focus.

Finally, the exact reason people want ascended gear is because the fights aren’t fair. You want absolutely every advantage you can get so if you are in an unfair fight you have a better chance at winning. The stats are negligible either, a berserker thief gets 8% extra damage per hit. 8% per hit might not sound like much but after 13 hits he has done 100%+ more damage, that gap will only widen with more stats. I’ve survived many fights because of the added health, healing power, damage, and survivability that ascended offers; Ascended is not something that can be written off as unimportant.

in WvW

Posted by: Cake Tasty.2408

Cake Tasty.2408

Some screenshots (sorry I didn’t do all of them, but you can see prices and range)

Stats armours are same appearance as invader’s (old wvw armours), full set is 5.44g + 950 badges. No trinkets.

New skins are 5-15 badges but I think you can obtain all of them from TP. I personally didn’t like any of them.

Attachments:

in WvW

Posted by: Goblin Beet Farmer.3045

Goblin Beet Farmer.3045

I think the stat combinations and available skins are a decent addition to WvW gear choices. My only complaint is what is available now should have been available when the game launched.

in WvW

Posted by: saiyr.3071

saiyr.3071

Imagine my surprise when I loaded my 5000 badges into my bags and headed to the vendor. I’d liken it a bit to waking up extra early at age 5 on Christmas morning to open your amazing new presents only to find your parents murdered under the tree. I left with all my badges in the hope this is just the framework for the real stuff to be added later.

best analogy

[DERP] Saiyr, “bff” of Sgt Killjoy

in WvW

Posted by: Ragnar.4257

Ragnar.4257

Fairly sure the skins vendor was released 6 days early.

[Scnd][TA][Dius][aX]

in WvW

Posted by: blenheim.6489

blenheim.6489

7 months in and the only significant change WvW received was having Orbs REMOVED, allegedly to be rebalanced and reinserted once they’re fixed. Still waiting on that. I really don’t think the issue is people wanting immediate gratification, or expecting too much. Its about hyping up the “WvW patch” for weeks and months to receive…what? Rehashed, crappy skins? Guild Mission vendors got new weapon skins, and this craps only been around for a few weeks. They’ve got time to make exclusive skins for Black Lion Chests (a.k.a. printing themselves some money). I’d assume weapon skins are way easier to make than armor, but come on, you can’t give WvWers some nice armor, even if its recycled?

You can try to defend their position and claim they’re laying framework for future stuff, but that’s true of any addition to the game. But who the hell knows when they’ll get around to addressing it? I mean it only took 7 months to add a few (preexisting) skins!

When its all said and done, I ain’t even mad. It’s kinda laughable really. Just look at the patch notes. The WvW section is pathetically small for something hailed as the “WvW Patch”. All the other facets of the game got as much, if not more attention. Granted different teams handle the various areas, but is this what we can expect in the future? Months between meaningful changes, only to shake our heads and laugh silently at what we’re handed? Don’t get me wrong, I really enjoy WvW for what it is, but for a game that gives you multiple paths to accomplish your goals of gearing up (FoTM, Guild Missions, Dungeons, BLTP), WvW is the absolute worst choice.

Gawdwyn

in WvW

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

I definitely agree that new skins would be nice I never disagreed with that I’m just saying people are overreacting about the armour they added. It’s one step forward in improving things and is one of the MANY things people wanted. I’m pretty sure they will add more unique looks to wvw but probably have limited resources to work on everything people want fixed or added.

And we also don’t know how much work went into making what they did now. It might seem like a simple fix to us but fixing problems in games can be very complex to overhaul entire systems. I’ve only had a glimps into game design and could tell how complex things can get.

There’s plenty of room for improvement across the board just need to accept these things are going to take time to develop and when they do roll out improvements to appreciate them for what they are. I just feel people nowadays are so ‘must have everything right now’ what happened to patience and gratefulness? It’s not like you are tied to a subscription forcing you to play the game.

This is not what people wanted. People wanted a fair reward for playing WvW(and other stuff but we are talking gear now), in terms of income and shiny new gear. Strictly speaking you could already get this kind of gear from WvW through buying it on the TP with the bare minimum coin you made from playing WvW. That was obviously not good enough, and this change doesnt do enough to improve that.

If you want different stats you still need to drop gold on it, and if you want any different skin you still need to either buy it on the TP or go do dungeons. Nothing really changed its a minimal improvement. How on earth they thought it a good idea to add another goldsink to WvW is simply beyond me…
And guess what, its been 8 months. This is not good enough. 8 months and all we got was “a step”. This is not a highly complicated thing. New gear, new currency, new vendors are added constantly. So the notion that this might’ve been very complicated doesnt fly for 1 second with. Especially not when they did find the time to add new gear to the BLchest aswell as unique new skins to the Guild Vendor. This patch has been in the pipelines for WvW for months!

Gratefulness has NOTHING to do with this. This is a community crying out “look, you add all this cool stuff to spvp and pve. But we feel neglected and we’re getting bored. If you actually want us to keep playing you will have to do better!” And Arenanet made their move, and their move disapointed many.
If anything PvE came out better in this patch then WvW did, while this was dubbed the WvW patch. It shows all to clear that ANet holds PvE in the highest regard and as a top priority and WvW is simply not nearly as important to them.

(edited by Terrahero.9358)

in WvW

Posted by: loneknight.8425

loneknight.8425

I love my Conquest Helm skin for 5 badges, finally complete my collection of lionguard cosplay for next LA’s Halloween costume parade

The thief who did dat – Crystal Desert

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Some screenshots (sorry I didn’t do all of them, but you can see prices and range)

Stats armours are same appearance as invader’s (old wvw armours), full set is 5.44g + 950 badges. No trinkets.

950 badges is still too much.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Posted by: Grishnakk.9426

Grishnakk.9426

The skins totally suck and its significantly easier to get the current horrible skins through TP and a transmute. After reading the MMORPG interview, I and I know a ton of WvW only players where looking forward to finally looking decent and not having to do horribly boring and repetitive dungeons to look that way.

How hard would it be to add the dungeon skins to the vendor? As hard as our once promised ascended gear through WvW? Surely not…

Us WvW players are not second class kitten citizens and shouldn’t be treated that way.

Unfortunately it seems that way though; how has the ‘big’ WvW patch become a let down in so many ways? It hasn’t really even increased my desire to play more in the slightest which is saying something.

Amorphis – Elementalist.
Grishnakk – Warrior.
TKG – JQQ Oceanic – www.fivefingerdiscount.org

in WvW

Posted by: vanzan.1250

vanzan.1250

Setting high expectations and under delivering only can go so far. People have been waiting 7 months and all you give them is more of the same.

in WvW

Posted by: StormageddonBK.9842

StormageddonBK.9842

Fairly sure the skins vendor was released 6 days early.

Hahaha!

This game is meant to be about the skins, where are the new skins!!! April fools…

in WvW

Posted by: SuiRyuJin.4615

SuiRyuJin.4615

oh, the patch note had wvw stuff? i never even saw that category. all i saw was…. pve..skip…skip..pve…skip…skill fix/change

Suiryujin – Ele [Pyro]
Server: Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

For light armor I like the tactical skin but I already have it cause its available in Fireheart Rise.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Posted by: Eclipses.7152

Eclipses.7152

One of the light armor skins look like you’re wearing a dirty scratchy linen bag over your chest.

I kitten you not. They chose the absolute kittentiest armors to give WvW.

Eclipses
The Royal Guard – http://theroyalguardclan.enjin.com
Isle of Janthir

in WvW

Posted by: wish.3102

wish.3102

I dont mind the terrible choices of skins so much, but where the &*^$ are my WvW ascended items!? And why is it still more time and cost effective to go do dungeons for exotic gear? or just world PVE content? I can do PVE for 3-4 hours and get 10+ gold easy, which will buy me 2 pieces of exotic gear, or I can do 2 dungeons in that time and get 2 pieces of exotic gear+money and buy a third, or I can go to WvW and maybe earn 1 piece of gear…. if my server is good enough and we fight a lot of people and win. I thought this game was suppose to reward players equally for however they like to play? Ascended backpacks still aren’t even available to PVP players. At least you can get the rest through dailies in about 3 months….

The rest of the update is amazing at least (except the half-@$$ed thf nerf.)

Jade Quarry. RNG/THF/GRD/WAR
SovietSpaceDogs[SSD]

(edited by wish.3102)

in WvW

Posted by: Reboco.7309

Reboco.7309

Hey guys, I know this will not make you happy but in wvw there is a unique skin. The invader’s exotic skin. You cannot obtain it in pve as far as I know.

Anyway, it seems to me that you would be more happy if they didn’t add those skins and rather only a stats on invader’s armor, because otherwise there won’t be any complain about them.
I know they are crap, but I really don’t care and I’m actually happy, because I can level my alts in wvw and can put different skins during my leveling path without need of transmutation stone (which I ran off, because I’ve got them only from wvw map completion). Or at least it looks like it should be possible to add those skins without TStone (I hope:).

in WvW

Posted by: Tallis.5607

Tallis.5607

It’s very disappointing. Like you said, the available skins are the low-level, generic item skins that we could have gotten already by spending a negligible amount of money. On top of that, it seems like we don’t even get access to all of the generic skins. I’m unable to get back into WvW at the moment, but while browsing for medium armor I remember seeing the Warden set, the Duelist set, and one other. I wasn’t expecting cultural armor, nor was I expecting for them to create a bunch of new skins just for us WvW players, but I was definitely hoping that we’d be given more than this. Right now, I’m just guessing that we unlock more skins as we rank up.

WvW players out number all other aspects of this game. Only PvE has a chance to beat out WvW players. Remember tho most PvE’ers WvW, but there are tons of WvWers who don’t PvE.

o_O Of all the people in my guild (which advertises as a WvW guild), there is literally no one that only does WvW. Not. One. Person.

Tallis – Perpetual newbie – Tarnished Coast.
Always carries a towel – Never panics – Eats cookies.

in WvW

Posted by: Entropy.4732

Entropy.4732

Okay… I just want to say that the Dungeon Armor designs are absolutely AMAZING in this game. TA especially is truly lovely and artistic. What I don’t get is why Anet can’t add more great skins like that for WvW? Is it really that hard to design a few more original armor sets for the game? A lot of my friends are graphic designers and they could dash off an epic armor set in 10 minutes. I’m sure it takes a lot longer to actually program and design the thing on a computer, but still. I can’t imagine it’s as hard as fixing culling of writing / programing the living story. I think it would have really upped player enthusiasm in general to add new skins. If they were worried about drawing attention away from the great dungeon sets, all they had to do was add a few more for the dungeons too, or make the WvW skins not AS spectacular as the dungeon sets. But to recycle the same old same old is really odd. Anet should understand what players want: More original, amazing skins for weapons and armor. Every single player wants that way more then ranks in WvW.

Styx Hemlock – Sylvari Mesmer – TFG – NSP

in WvW

Posted by: Ruprect.7260

Ruprect.7260

Okay… I just want to say that the Dungeon Armor designs are absolutely AMAZING in this game. TA especially is truly lovely and artistic. What I don’t get is why Anet can’t add more great skins like that for WvW? Is it really that hard to design a few more original armor sets for the game? A lot of my friends are graphic designers and they could dash off an epic armor set in 10 minutes. I’m sure it takes a lot longer to actually program and design the thing on a computer, but still. I can’t imagine it’s as hard as fixing culling of writing / programing the living story. I think it would have really upped player enthusiasm in general to add new skins. If they were worried about drawing attention away from the great dungeon sets, all they had to do was add a few more for the dungeons too, or make the WvW skins not AS spectacular as the dungeon sets. But to recycle the same old same old is really odd. Anet should understand what players want: More original, amazing skins for weapons and armor. Every single player wants that way more then ranks in WvW.

They would also have to make the skins available in PvE somehow too. If not it would ruin WvW forever. The JP’s would be full all the time with PvEers and WvWers would be in there griefing them. The tears would be delicious but no one would be able to get in to do some real work in WvW.

I would love to see new skins but not WvW exclusive.

Ruprect – [DIS] Dissentient
Mesmer/Elementalist/Guardian/Necromancer/Warrior
[TC] Tarnished Coast

in WvW

Posted by: John Widdin.9618

John Widdin.9618

They would also have to make the skins available in PvE somehow too. If not it would ruin WvW forever. The JP’s would be full all the time with PvEers and WvWers would be in there griefing them. The tears would be delicious but no one would be able to get in to do some real work in WvW.

I would love to see new skins but not WvW exclusive.

They could just as easily remove badge drops from the jp chest. Otherwise they may as well add jump puzzles to the dungeons for easier tokens.

Zachary ~ Mesmer/ John Widdin ~ Warrior/ Zazmataz ~ Engineer
Maguuma – [TriM][DERP]

in WvW

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

The gold cost in addition to the badges is completely absurd. WvW costs more money than it makes me on average between siege weapons and upgrades, and yet now we have to pay more gold to get goods from WvW instead of how it works in dungeons, where just the tokens themselves earn the items. WvW is not nearly as rewarding as running any dungeons, and the sinks involved in WvW completely undermine what money you do make. I still feel forced to go out and dungeon all the time in order to fund the war effort; even more so now if I want to gear up in WvW because it costs gold!

Seriously, just take the exact same token costs from dungeon tokens and put them on the WvW armor, but without the gold cost. 390 tokens straight up for a 2-handed weapon is perfect. Don’t charge us gold just because you can. And bloody hell, give us some actual skins of worth. This is such a let-down it’s mind-boggling; people want to feel rewarded for their time investment, even if at the core they’re playing because it’s fun.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

(edited by Rising Dusk.2408)

in WvW

Posted by: makku.2508

makku.2508

It’s amazing, really. It’s like, you have a bazillion of options, tons of stuff you could do. Some would be great decisions, a lot would be ok/mediocre decisions, a few would be terrible decisions. ANet manages to make the absolute worst decision. Every. kittening. Time.

There is only one god, and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to Death: ‘Not today’.

in WvW

Posted by: LeahKell.5873

LeahKell.5873

I’ve been trying to look at the skins but can’t find a vendor. Checked all vendors at wvw spawns, citadel and EB keep. Is it maybe a bug? If not—where are they? Thanks for any help—going blind trying to find.

—Leah

in WvW

Posted by: Waffler.1257

Waffler.1257

The armor is pretty terrible, why would anyone pay 135 badges to look like this…

Attachments:

in WvW

Ruprect.7260

I’ve been trying to look at the skins but can’t find a vendor. Checked all vendors at wvw spawns, citadel and EB keep. Is it maybe a bug? If not—where are they? Thanks for any help—going blind trying to find.

—Leah

They are the last tab on the armor vendors.

[TC] Tarnished Coast

in WvW

LeahKell.5873

Thanks much—but I see only one tab on each vendor, except for the few selling armor and weapons for cash and they’re low level stuff. I guess it’s a bug.

—Leah

in WvW

Ruprect.7260

If you go to your home bl, in citadel, they are both by the old vendors, there are 4 there now due south of the WP. In the other bl’s at your spawn the new vendors should be the same as the old.

[TC] Tarnished Coast

in WvW

Posted by: Harbinger.9645

Harbinger.9645

I’m honestly surprised they didn’t add exotic backpacks available for purchase with badges. Seems like an obvious addition….guess it wasn’t.

Cynaptix-Mesmer(80)
Member of Gamers With Jobs(GWJ)
From the Northern Shiver Peaks

in WvW

LeahKell.5873

If you go to your home bl, in citadel, they are both by the old vendors, there are 4 there now due south of the WP. In the other bl’s at your spawn the new vendors should be the same as the old.

Thank you so much; I must have looked at least a dozen times and missed the one I needed.

—Leah

P.S. You’re right about being level 80; I was checking on an alt first and the tabs just aren’t there.

(edited by LeahKell.5873)

in WvW

Ruprect.7260

Thank you so much; I must have looked at least a dozen times and missed the one I needed.

—Leah

P.S. You’re right about being level 80; I was checking on an alt first and the tabs just aren’t there.

Huh, never thought about having to be 80, all 5 of my alts are 80.

[TC] Tarnished Coast