Fixed Scoring vs Accumulating Score

in WvW

Posted by: urzen.7096

urzen.7096

There are some good suggestions in the night caping thread, so I through Id split one off so as not to lose it. What do you all think of a scoring system that had a fixed total score rather than an increasing score?

What I mean is rather than keep adding points to whoever controls bases, make each base worth a number of fixed points and trade the points between teams. Such that the most points any team can have is lets say 1000. If you control everything you have 1000 points. If you control nothing you have 0, if you control some things you may have 250 or 500 or whatever. Whoever has the most points (and thus controls the most bases) at reset would be the winner.

This means night capping wouldnt have a long term effect. As soon as peak time came up again, everyone would fight to control a majority of bases. Fighting would naturally be heaviest right before reset (end of peak time ideally) and to avoid dead times right after reset, you still have the incentive of the world bonuses.

Sanctum of Rall

in WvW

Posted by: Pendragon.8735

Pendragon.8735

The eventual plan is for matches to be 2 weeks. This would make at least the first week and a half pointless.

in WvW

Posted by: Tuco.2419

Tuco.2419

Can you think of a scoring system in the world where only the last second of a match matters every time?

in WvW

Posted by: ShadowCarnage.8319

ShadowCarnage.8319

I don’t think the scoring system needs to be scrapped. I did post my suggestion about how to help with night time capping in a thread I created though.

in WvW

Posted by: Estus.1726

Estus.1726

Correct me if I’m wrong, but then it would be possible for Server A to be ahead most of the match-up time period with 750 points, only to lose to Server B in the final hour because they manage to sweep the map and get 751 points?

I’m not sure I follow.

Edit:
On second thought…
The benefits a server gets from WvW leading is NOT from the final score. If a point system described by the OP was in place, then in order for a server to maintain all the perks they earned from the late night capping, the server would need to continue the domination.

During the peak hours, the perk advantage would quickly shift to the server who is most effective at that time.

The issue is the whole “Your Server won or lost” message. We would have to redefine what it means to win or lose.

Perhaps the percentage of the time a Server is in the lead sort of thing.

[RE] Isendale – Tarnished Coast
“Did you see that? Tell me you saw that!”

(edited by Estus.1726)

in WvW

Posted by: tombo.2984

tombo.2984

Thinking about the issue and reading Estus post got me thinking: if you win what do you get? I don’t think that there is any prize for “winning” all that it does is decide if your server goes up or down in the match ups. The real prize is the bonuses that the server receives during the week. The problem that we have right now is we can’t see those bonuses all that much because we reset every 24h.

in WvW

Posted by: Malleusx.6092

Malleusx.6092

Ahhh, is this a troll thread? A scoring system like this can not, and will not, ever, in the history of the human race, work.

in WvW

urzen.7096

Ahhh, is this a troll thread? A scoring system like this can not, and will not, ever, in the history of the human race, work.

Speaking of trolls…

Sanctum of Rall

in WvW

urzen.7096

Correct me if I’m wrong, but then it would be possible for Server A to be ahead most of the match-up time period with 750 points, only to lose to Server B in the final hour because they manage to sweep the map and get 751 points?

I’m not sure I follow.

Edit:
On second thought…
The benefits a server gets from WvW leading is NOT from the final score. If a point system described by the OP was in place, then in order for a server to maintain all the perks they earned from the late night capping, the server would need to continue the domination.

During the peak hours, the perk advantage would quickly shift to the server who is most effective at that time.

The issue is the whole “Your Server won or lost” message. We would have to redefine what it means to win or lose.

Perhaps the percentage of the time a Server is in the lead sort of thing.

Yes, a server could swoop in at the last minutes and win by dominating a majority of the points. But right now they simply do that at the beginning and off peak thus making the rest of the period pointless as you can never get enough points back.

To use a metaphor, the current method is like american football, in that a team can build up an insurmountable lead. Where as a fixed score is more like Tennis, in that it only matters who scores the final point and youre only ever one set from getting back to even. Except that we have world bonuses, xp, pve, and just fun derived from constant leads to make it worth playing till the end. By putting the reset during peak time you ensure the most important part of the fighting will be done while the most people are on.

Sanctum of Rall

in WvW

urzen.7096

Can you think of a scoring system in the world where only the last second of a match matters every time?

As I said, Tennis generally is designed to keep a player never being too far away from evening the score.

Sanctum of Rall

in WvW

urzen.7096

The eventual plan is for matches to be 2 weeks. This would make at least the first week and a half pointless.

True, a 2 week period might be a bit too long for this particular plan. It doesnt have to be 2 weeks though. And theres always the world bonuses to fight over in the meantime.

Sanctum of Rall