How to kill the thief in WvW scenario

in WvW

Posted by: Chewablesleeptablet.3185

Chewablesleeptablet.3185

Stay together in a tight ball if your party is getting struck.

Spam ground targetted AoE on self (Usually thieves like to sit right next to you when they are stealthed)

Spam Melee weapon skills only in case of daggerstorm.

AoE heals help, Aegis helps. Anticipation of the backstab and dodge rolling away from it helps.

Thieves are not OP. Its just only few people know how to kill them.

I swear most of the time players scream at their monitor saying “whats going on?” instead of taking a chill pill and actually pay attention. You should know what the thief can do , and know that continuous dps destroys a thief. Don’t waste time sitting there throwing up boons. Just lay down your ground target aoe and watch him run away.

The only thief that can get away from this is a pistol/pistol thief that uses unload. Most WvW thieves are Shortbow with D/D.

Also players, don’t stare at your skill bar while in combat. This is PvP action combat, not turn based.

in WvW

Posted by: kanikani.2430

kanikani.2430

I would add conditions are very useful if you got them.

Some professions/builds are inherently worse at dealing with thieves though and that is an issue of balance.

Ishionna (80 Ele)
Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: Cerbeius.7129

Cerbeius.7129

I just start running away and scream like a girl.

Lady Cerba, Ascalonian Priestess of Grenth

- Piken Square, [REN][DKAL]

in WvW

Posted by: tagnut.8621

tagnut.8621

Spam ground targetted AoE on self (Usually thieves like to sit right next to you when they are stealthed)

AoE heals help, Aegis helps. Anticipation of the backstab and dodge rolling away from it helps.

I swear most of the time players scream at their monitor saying “whats going on?” instead of taking a chill pill and actually pay attention. You should know what the thief can do , and know that continuous dps destroys a thief. Don’t waste time sitting there throwing up boons. Just lay down your ground target aoe and watch him run away.

The only thief that can get away from this is a pistol/pistol thief that uses unload. Most WvW thieves are Shortbow with D/D.

Also players, don’t stare at your skill bar while in combat. This is PvP action combat, not turn based.

So what you’re saying is to beat 1 thief you need half a dozen people, immobile, spamming aoe and heals in the hope of beating 1 perma invisible godmode thief.

Not to make it too simple for you but do you not see the glaring imbalance there?

in WvW

Posted by: Musty.3148

Musty.3148

I lol’d…

The fact that the OP even felt he had to MAKE it shows that it’s not balanced.

And let me make sure I got this all down…

Ok so multiple people clump up and saturate the area with damage and then the thief can just waltz off instead of killing you all one by one?

About sums it up for me.

80 Elementalist/80 Mesmer/80 Guardian/80 Thief
Now Musty Britches since someone decided Shortbus Rider was offensive… [LoS] [NSP]

in WvW

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

Lol,this made me laugh sorry…

“Stay together in a tight ball if your party is getting struck.

Thieves are not OP. Its just only few people know how to kill them."

Do you realize what it is you are saying here,honestly ?

in WvW

Posted by: Archonis.7249

Archonis.7249

Man, these QQ or helping people QQ threads are getting annoying.

I am about to just go to every other profession’s forums and QQ about certain builds that I am weak against. Maybe I can just stop learning to play and have the Devs make it easier for me.

If you are running around solo in WvW, it is a good chance that you might die if you run into a BS thief. Why? Because the Thief which is designed to have one hell of a burst probably hasn’t seen someone in at least 1 min. Which means his OMGERD! combo and GCDs are up and ready to stomp you. A lot of people don’t pay attention in WvW and as a Thief I am on them before they can even react most times. I followed a guy for about 5 mins before he even noticed me. I followed him to see how long it took him to pan his camera and see me. 5 mins! I could of killed him 3 times in a row in that time. Always be aware of your surroundings people. That hurts Thief a lot. We thrive in ambush situations, you take that from us. We are weaker for it.

Be aware and have your Stun Breakers ready. As soon as that Thief hits you with a BV Steal, then hit your breaker and roll if necessary. Now you have that Thief wasting 6 Initiative (half initiative if pow/pre) and lost all that opener. Now CC him and introduce him to the afterlife.

Sadly people don’t do that. They aren’t running with a Stun Breaker or any meaningful CC or using dodge and the Thief is able to reply with a CnD/BS/HS combo and most times blast you down or at least psychologically kitten someone into losing.

Seriously people, stop whining and L2P.

“Society is a madhouse, whose wardens are the police and the officials.”

in WvW

Posted by: Nocturnal Lunacy.8563

Nocturnal Lunacy.8563

The thief isn’t op’d. Players just know how to use them skillfully. But I do believe that there needs to be implemented some kind of defense against being attacked by the thief while the thief is cloaked. The real only defense there is are the aoe skills but if you don’t have aoe skills or you’re laying down aoe while the thief is standing just out of aoe range, its useless. For a thief to be able to take out 1 or multiple foes while cloaked and most times, there is no time to react before you’re dead.

Forever Against Stacked Servers
Virual [VRUS] Alien Lunatics [StFu] Nocturnal Sxaddx [Nuts] Ft. Aspenwood
That which is dead may eternally lie, but with great aeons even death may die.

in WvW

Posted by: Tulisin.6945

Tulisin.6945

AE on yourself is a good deterrent, but it isn’t a good offensive counter to thieves. I wish the community would stop giving this advice because it leads people to believe that they should be using AEs exclusively when they encounter a stealthed opponent when it is usually a poor choice.

When you stop thinking like a player and start dropping red circles all over the place you’re just turning the fight from a PvP challenge into an PvE boss fight for the thief, and you should expect to die like an NPC.

in WvW

Posted by: Esrever.8613

Esrever.8613

Lets all stand in corners and spam aoe around us for hours.
sounds like fun.

who knows where the thief is. or how many there are. if we keep spamming aoe he probably can’t kill us. Oh look all out supply camps are gone… we better not more or else the thief might kill us.

sllaw eht no nettirw gnihtemos saw ecno ereht

in WvW

Posted by: Chickenshoes.6250

Chickenshoes.6250

So grouping up and spamming AoE is the best option for dealing with thief.

And that’s only so you don’t die to the thief, he can still probably get away on a fail or just wait around till you get bored of looking for him and he gets a better opportunity to strike.

sounds legit

in WvW

Posted by: Dredlockrasta.8269

Dredlockrasta.8269

The fact that you have to set up a special strategy with more than 1 person for this to work proves thieves are OP. Even if you do this little chickendance, the chances of a thief being dumb enough to stick around are very slim.

Also you forgot about shadowstep, I use it all the time as my D/D thief, and barely ever get killed. So, you should probably say “any thief can get away regardless of weapon setup”

And don’t start saying “level a thief”, I have a 80 of every class other than engie, and I can assure you, thief is by far the most unbalanced class in this game. There is no class that can set up 13k backstab crits, and get away like a thief.

IMO, in order to fix thieves they need to remove the initiative system. It sets an uneven playing ground. Shadow refuge stealth killing blow is another thing that needs a nerf

(edited by Dredlockrasta.8269)

in WvW

Posted by: Trollhammer.7439

Trollhammer.7439

So what you’re saying is to beat 1 thief you need half a dozen people, immobile, spamming aoe and heals in the hope of beating 1 perma invisible godmode thief.

Not to make it too simple for you but do you not see the glaring imbalance there?

I kinda thought OP is being sarcastic here… but maybe not?

in WvW

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

Please no more thief rage. I don’t play one in WvW much I think my thief got the least love of all my toons. But seriously… Stealth does not equal invuln unlike a mes that could possibly be invuln for 12 seconds playing their cards right. The entire basis of the thief class is hit and run. They have the lowest health pool and if they have ALOT of skills that encourage stealth then they are also burning ini quite quick… The only issue I have about fighting thieves is something that is not in the hands of the person at the keyboard.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in WvW

Posted by: Thrashbarg.9820

Thrashbarg.9820

Translation of OP: “How to kill a thief: outnumber and outplay them.”

Personally I can’t wait until the meta switches from teams of stealth herpaderpa-dps to teams of bunkers with tons of CC….. Ah the early days of an MMO when people are still unfamiliar with team play and looking for the way to “pwn noobs”. Remember these days in a year or two, when all the “Thief is useless in WvW!” threads take over these forums.

Yeah, I have a thief, and yeah, I think stealth needs some sort of nerf (or culling fix, but not holding my breath for that, since it likely requires technology to advance significantly). Shadow refuge still has a stupidly long duration, and the ability to chain stealth without getting “revealed” is game breaking in many cases (spent a long time last night with several people camping a mesmer corpse inside garrison while one cheese-perma-stealth thief ran in repeatedly to get bits of a rez on it, eventually it got up despite being nearly killed dozens of times, balance? hello?)….

Hats off to all the ones who stood before me, and taught a fool to ride.

in WvW

Esrever.8613

Personally I can’t wait until the meta switches from teams of stealth herpaderpa-dps to teams of bunkers with tons of CC….. Ah the early days of an MMO when people are still unfamiliar with team play and looking for the way to “pwn noobs”. Remember these days in a year or two, when all the “Thief is useless in WvW!” threads take over these forums.

Yeah, I have a thief, and yeah, I think stealth needs some sort of nerf (or culling fix, but not holding my breath for that, since it likely requires technology to advance significantly). Shadow refuge still has a stupidly long duration, and the ability to chain stealth without getting “revealed” is game breaking in many cases (spent a long time last night with several people camping a mesmer corpse inside garrison while one cheese-perma-stealth thief ran in repeatedly to get bits of a rez on it, eventually it got up despite being nearly killed dozens of times, balance? hello?)….

mobility is key in WvW and thief will always be OP.

in WvW

Posted by: Cloud.7613

Cloud.7613

I think everyone has to admit to themselves culling isn’t going anywhere, we may as well call it a feature at this point, if it gets fixed later, great, I’m excited at that prospect, but there has to be another way of dealing with it. The class isn’t broken per say, the stealth aspect needs urgent fixing though.

in WvW

Posted by: irishhaf.1692

irishhaf.1692

Ive asked this in every one of these threads Ive seen… my main is a Ranger… WHAT can I do to extend a fight let alone win a fight 1 on 1 with a thief?

For every single move I have to gain distance thieves have a move to close the gap almost instantly… on and if its an unload spamming monkey I just die…
So give me a clue here.

Edit: as it stands I do not see a single downside to a thief in WvW, if there is please let me know for curiosity sake.

Deritt ranger lv 80 (Un-retired… liking longbow)
Devona Borders (DB)
Devonas rest.

in WvW

Posted by: Musty.3148

Musty.3148

Ive asked this in every one of these threads Ive seen… my main is a Ranger… WHAT can I do to extend a fight let alone win a fight 1 on 1 with a thief?

For every single move I have to gain distance thieves have a move to close the gap almost instantly… on and if its an unload spamming monkey I just die…
So give me a clue here.

Edit: as it stands I do not see a single downside to a thief in WvW, if there is please let me know for curiosity sake.

Well, in all honesty, I have (see below) toons. Unfortunately Rangers are walking pinatas of crests for each of them.

You guys need some love.

80 Elementalist/80 Mesmer/80 Guardian/80 Thief
Now Musty Britches since someone decided Shortbus Rider was offensive… [LoS] [NSP]

in WvW

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

Yes, thief is totally balanced and not a class that constantly abuses serious bugs. I’m also sure that it’s intended that a thief can stay permanently visually stealthed. That revealed icon is just a suggestion.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

(edited by Aberrant.6749)

in WvW

Posted by: Azzan.1650

Azzan.1650

Don’t play a glass canon…. Ho wait…. Nvm.

in WvW

Posted by: Doomdesire.9365

Doomdesire.9365

Just place some AOE’s on top of you. It’s it a P/D thief, he can only auto attack, no unload from stealth very often. If it’s a BS thief, he’ll have to get hit by AoE. Don’t mindlessly spam random aoes.

in WvW

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

Just place some AOE’s on top of you. It’s it a P/D thief, he can only auto attack, no unload from stealth very often. If it’s a BS thief, he’ll have to get hit by AoE. Don’t mindlessly spam random aoes.

You mean, he Steal jumps to you from longrange while stealthed and instantly opens up and finishes you off in under 2seconds?

Yah im sure my 600dmg grenade would scare him away from even thinking about trying that.

in WvW

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

Key to defeating a backstab thief: blind.

in WvW

Posted by: Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

I love: people trying the anti thief builds without effect.
-Necro: trying to Aoe me with conditions/blind chill. I stealth and it’s useless.
deathshowd and other drains not working on me when in stealth, even though its a spectral skill that should not involve me being visible, it still doesn’t work

-Elementalist: Aoe again lol..I’m invinsible and can just walk away or sidestep.

-Guardian: retribution/reflect and that stuff.. lol. i lose my initiative, I stealth, stop
drop, roll on the floor laughing and i have full ini again while they have this thing called skill cooldowns

-Thief: no harm done, try to find me and i’ll try to find you.

Mesmer: no real problem if you avoid that mind wrack thing, the rest of their skills are fun to watch at.. creating all these clones who can’t target me just standing around and dissapearing because i step out of range for a second
Also i can hit the mesmer in stealth with that melee assist button checked, yet they can hit me

-warrior/engineer/ranger just tstay away from their aoe. i usually run up to them, kill one.. make them use all their aoe.. come back kill one. see if they have aoe left..
and kill the rest.

I love: people QQing about thieves.
I love: pve mob’s that allow me to stealth over the map.
I love: getting free initiative with some boosts on kills.
I love: non excistant cooldowns on my skills.
I love: keeping about 10 people busy on the map trying to protect a dolly, wich will never work.
I love: people thinking conditions can stop me.
I love: having 2 little helpers that can hit people in stealth and make them drop 75% in hp while i sneak around the back.
I love: wildlife rabbits/ pets etc etc.
I love: people using anti thief builds in general thinking they make a difference
I love: backstabing while facing my opponent, just sidestep next to them for the hit.
I love: stealing a second swirling skill from warriors so i have 2 skills that are unstoppable.
I love: binding,chill, blind etc not working on me in general when there are more then 4 people fighting me. or when i use my elites. if it does, i just stealth away.
I love: quikness.
I love: macro keys.
I Hate: Rangers being able to hit me while stealthed. ANET Fix this! it’s ruining the game!

what else is there to stop me? well a balista can ba annoying at times. yet i hardly hits me unless i stand still.

54 infractions and counting because a moderator doesn’t understand a joke when he/she sees it.
E.A.D.

in WvW

Posted by: lcc.9374

lcc.9374

I dont know why people are always saying glass cannons do terribly against thieves
this is speaking from a glass cannon guardian with less then 11k hp

We kill glass cannon backstab thieves just as fast as they kill us

Any thief who isnt specced tanky is a dead thief to me when they render

And tanky thieves dont really kill anyone so i choose to ignore those

90% of my thief encounters in WvW goes like this

Some backstab burst thief opens up on squishies like rangers,,, staff eles stuff like that
kills their target

meanwhile neglecting their true threat which is me and i buff up and stuff
Judeges intervention on top of them and kill them before they finish their stake animation

Its just a matter of going glass cannon……..WAIT FOR THE THIEF TO UNLOAD ON THE GUY NEXT TO YOU AND RENDERS. AND PUSH 1 2 3 4 5 ON YOUR KEYBOARD FOR PROFIT. (this sentence is in caps for emphasis because it is the core skill/strategy as a glass cannon to win against a thief)

If you arent killing a backstab thief with 1 2 3 4 5 combo, my guess is you arent a glass cannon and you are actually a tank. Or the thief you are fighting isnt a glass canon backstab and so that would also solve your problem of getting 13k steal>backstab>hearseeker instagib.

(edited by lcc.9374)

in WvW

Posted by: Siobhan.3582

Siobhan.3582

Ranger.. I am 50/50 vs them and that is fine. Bird pet, root elite, swap to GS when they stealth.

Ranger.. I am 50/50 vs them and that is fine. Bird pet, root elite, swap to GS when they stealth.Now that we run as fast as them, and I can keep them snared, they don’t escape AS often.

Ranger.. I am 50/50 vs them and that is fine. Bird pet, root elite, swap to GS when they stealth.Now that we run as fast as them, and I can keep them snared, they don’t escape AS often.Plus most are over confident

That one person.

in WvW

Posted by: iHungeri.4096

iHungeri.4096

I Hate: Rangers being able to hit me while stealthed. ANET Fix this! it’s ruining the game!

well, you’re just invisible, not ethereal. maybe Anet should fix this by revealing thieves when they are hit during stealth? realistically (ingame), if i swung my sword and connected with someone’s cranium, i’d know it, wouldn’t i?

and in response to the topic, whatever class you play, you need to survive the initial dps, which usually involves a stun-breaker and dodging or CCing back (might be harder for some classes compared to others).

then you unload your damage on the thief. most are so glassy that they die after a few hits. CC like knockdown to prevent them from restealthing in the meantime.

this is all if everything works as designed. often, in wvw, there are so many character models around that the ridiculous game engine doesn’t render till they’re on top of you or have already killed you, and i’ve seen the permastealth phenomenon.

will pay for a dolly rocket booster

in WvW

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

Look at all the comments…yet some still say there is absolutely nothing wrong with thieves and you should just AOE around you ,that will get em…kittens are HILARIOUS!!

in WvW

Posted by: lcc.9374

lcc.9374

depends on the aoe

i find my guardian binding blade(does this count as aoe) which hits thieves in stealth too and then Whirling wrath combo wildly effective against them

but i can see how staff ele meteor storm, fire 2. Ranger arrow storm
……..or lets just say any aoe which puts a red circle on the ground telling everyone to stay away from it to be pretty much useless against thieves

in WvW

Posted by: Aridia.3042

Aridia.3042

So give me a clue here.

Random points to keep in mind. Have a conditional removal since most like to immobolize you to start.

Use your invulnerability if you have it or even roll in place to weather the first burst. Then cc him and attack with zephyr. LB 4 or wolf fear work wonders to set up your burst. LB 2 will home in even if the thief stealths as long as you started firing when he was visible so let the whole volley finish. LB 5 will hit also even when he stealths, entangle him and use it, it should hit even when they manage to get out of the root. You should be able to use both LB 2 and 5 in one zephyr cast.

in WvW

Posted by: Giit.5894

Giit.5894

I’m clueless about thieves, but I know that the ability to hide and attack constantly with so much dmg is just plain stupid as hell. I’ve also seen some that go into hiding with maybe 2k hp left, and 3 seconds later come out of hiding with full hp. I don’t get what’s going on with these characters, but it’s really no fun at all fighting them.

in WvW

Posted by: Ekove.4586

Ekove.4586

All the counters I’ve heard so far for thieves always end up with the argument: l2p thieves can stil lbe hit while invis, just spray and pray…

Since you know, spamming your AoE’s randomly or where you “guess” the thief is is totally a SKILL based way to counter a totally not broken mechanic. Actually, Spray and pray has always been the sign of a deep competitive skill based game play.

in WvW

Posted by: wildcode.5403

wildcode.5403

Ele, staff #5 … thief kills me while trying to cast this

hmm try fiery sword elite … thief kills me before I get off the #5

hmmm, try Ele fire dagger #4 … never see ant damage numbers come up before I die to thief …

hmmm ele earth dagger #5 … die before skill fires …

try ele earth dagger #4 … not sure if it worked but still die to thief

cast mistform … thief blows all spikes and stealths … survived 10s longer

So the argument of use AoE against thief … you are often dead before the skill fires, and if you manage to live long enough for it to fire, you never see any damage numbers (or condition numbers).

in WvW

Esrever.8613

what dumb thief stays in your aoe and or let you cc him?

in WvW

Tulisin.6945

I dont know why people are always saying glass cannons do terribly against thieves
this is speaking from a glass cannon guardian with less then 11k hp

We kill glass cannon backstab thieves just as fast as they kill us

Well, mainly because a full glass cannon can kill a glass thief in 4 auto attacks and anyone else can kill a glass thief in 5 auto attacks. Is it effective? Sure. But when you’re working against such a tiny pool of HP/armor you aren’t really getting the full benefit of stacking all of that offense. Most of thief defense isn’t stat-based, so effectively attacking them isn’t really stat-based.

(edited by Tulisin.6945)

in WvW

Tulisin.6945

I’ve also seen some that go into hiding with maybe 2k hp left, and 3 seconds later come out of hiding with full hp.

This is usually because they burned their heal to stealth. Having a tiny HP pool + eating heal + heal-in-stealth trait = Full HP. It is sort of misleading, because to their opponent it looks like they just underwent some massive healing, when in actuality it is really because they applied an average-strength heal to a small HP pool.

in WvW

Posted by: Thrashbarg.9820

Thrashbarg.9820

“spray and pray”, lol, I’ve just gained a new term for my vocabulary.

A fix to culling/rendering out of stealth should be one of ANet’s top priorities. Simply for the additional revenue they will generate when all the herpa-derpa thieves currently running around thinking they are all kitten will bring in when they reroll to the next FotM class after realizing the only reason they survived at all was from their free bonus 3 sec stealth after revealed.

Hats off to all the ones who stood before me, and taught a fool to ride.

in WvW

Posted by: Causic.3798

Causic.3798

Can any one of you people who say L2P link us to a recent video of someone killing a thief in WvW, who isnt specifically specced to kill that one thief?
I do not believe it is a L2P issue but just that thieves are easymode and too forgiving.
Id just like some evidence before i start to take any L2P post seriously, because for now I do not.

in WvW

Posted by: Boomstin.3460

Boomstin.3460

Try doing something funny when agains’t a thief. Maybe he loses his concentration and falls off a cliff by accident

All is vain.

in WvW

Posted by: Ireniicus.2167

Ireniicus.2167

Can I just say this thread provides a lot of LoL. Which is good considering how many thieves are out there that I have to contend with.

in WvW

Posted by: juno.1840

juno.1840

Thief took out 3 guardians in WvW last night — I found two dead in the road by the time I arrived. Fought the thief for 45-60s before I finally died from bleed stacks. During that time he stealthed about 5 seperate times (I would really like to say more than five but I honestly lost track). I found the stealth the most frustrating. I understand it’s a “mechanic” of the thief, but the frequency of application seems too high.

My favorite… stomping from stealth — yep that’s just salt in the wounds baby.

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

in WvW

Posted by: StugLyfe.2134

StugLyfe.2134

Any class in any game that causes a group of players to huddle up and blindly AOE is broken i am sorry but the ones saying thiefs are fine are thiefs.

in WvW

Posted by: Rinzler.8072

Rinzler.8072

Thief took out 3 guardians in WvW last night — I found two dead in the road by the time I arrived. Fought the thief for 45-60s before I finally died from bleed stacks. During that time he stealthed about 5 seperate times (I would really like to say more than five but I honestly lost track). I found the stealth the most frustrating. I understand it’s a “mechanic” of the thief, but the frequency of application seems too high.

Sorry, that is a l2p issue. 1 thief shouldnt be able to take out 1 guardian, let alone 3.

I play a thief and a guardian. And i laugh at thiefs when im on my guardian.

Put away your greatsword and pull out the roflhammer. Dead thieves everywhere.

Rinzler [Mesmer] -BROLIS PASS- Violent Tendencies (vT)
Videos:

in WvW

Posted by: StugLyfe.2134

StugLyfe.2134

Sorry, that is a l2p issue. 1 thief shouldnt be able to take out 1 guardian, let alone 3.

I play a thief and a guardian. And i laugh at thiefs when im on my guardian.

Put away your greatsword and pull out the roflhammer. Dead thieves everywhere.

in WvW

Posted by: juno.1840

juno.1840

I’ll be the first to admit this specific thief was skilled — also I’m not the world’s greatest PvP player (not by a long stretch).

However I was using a hammer and essentially the fight boiled down to:

1. Thief hits me at range with pistol, I start to bleed
2. I close with thief and maybe get a hit or two in (even fire with justice)
3. Thief stealths
4. Repeat at step 1 about 5 seconds later

I believe my AH build with Hammer and shouts was not the best for a pistol thief (prolly P/D thief). However the number of stealth cycles in there was a bit high imo.

I was definitely outplayed, but not all fights are equal as ANet has stated they don’t balance for 1v1. This was a bad match for my guardian build.

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

in WvW

Posted by: Gelltor.3015

Gelltor.3015

Make a thief alt,go into Tournament PvP and play for abit,you’ll get the benifits of learning how a thief works and also learn how people counter them.

in WvW

Posted by: pigtaro.2749

pigtaro.2749

I love: people trying the anti thief builds without effect.
-Necro: trying to Aoe me with conditions/blind chill. I stealth and it’s useless.
deathshowd and other drains not working on me when in stealth, even though its a spectral skill that should not involve me being visible, it still doesn’t work

-Elementalist: Aoe again lol..I’m invinsible and can just walk away or sidestep.

-Guardian: retribution/reflect and that stuff.. lol. i lose my initiative, I stealth, stop
drop, roll on the floor laughing and i have full ini again while they have this thing called skill cooldowns

-Thief: no harm done, try to find me and i’ll try to find you.

Mesmer: no real problem if you avoid that mind wrack thing, the rest of their skills are fun to watch at.. creating all these clones who can’t target me just standing around and dissapearing because i step out of range for a second
Also i can hit the mesmer in stealth with that melee assist button checked, yet they can hit me

-warrior/engineer/ranger just tstay away from their aoe. i usually run up to them, kill one.. make them use all their aoe.. come back kill one. see if they have aoe left..
and kill the rest.

I love: people QQing about thieves.
I love: pve mob’s that allow me to stealth over the map.
I love: getting free initiative with some boosts on kills.
I love: non excistant cooldowns on my skills.
I love: keeping about 10 people busy on the map trying to protect a dolly, wich will never work.
I love: people thinking conditions can stop me.
I love: having 2 little helpers that can hit people in stealth and make them drop 75% in hp while i sneak around the back.
I love: wildlife rabbits/ pets etc etc.
I love: people using anti thief builds in general thinking they make a difference
I love: backstabing while facing my opponent, just sidestep next to them for the hit.
I love: stealing a second swirling skill from warriors so i have 2 skills that are unstoppable.
I love: binding,chill, blind etc not working on me in general when there are more then 4 people fighting me. or when i use my elites. if it does, i just stealth away.
I love: quikness.
I love: macro keys.

what else is there to stop me? well a balista can ba annoying at times. yet i hardly hits me unless i stand still.

I just knew it. My ranger is all powerful. Woot. Haha, we rangers got e thieves on the run. Now I can start qq ppl to roll a ranger if ever they want to stop a thief.

in WvW

Posted by: Ekove.4586

Ekove.4586

Make a thief alt,go into Tournament PvP and play for abit,you’ll get the benifits of learning how a thief works and also learn how people counter them.

See, people keep comparing sPvP to WvW when there’s a huge difference…If a thief stealths in spvp, he can not contest points this giving up something. a p/d thief can not kill things fast enough in sPvP when it’s all about bunker builds…and a burst d/d thief will have to take the risk of being burst down because while he is stealthes he is expected; he can’t just do his surprise burst and run away, then come again for another player. Maps are small, objectives are small, time frames are small.

In WvW, a thief can take his sweet kitten time killing a dolyak while a group of 5 has to hopeless try to kill him, again, by the thieves invisibility only counter; spray and pray. The thief can hunt down people with little risk bursting them down and running away harassing zergs and picking off players traveling making them spend more time traveling. D/D ele has the mobility and survivability of a thief but can’t burst people as fast to do that, glass cannon warrior can kill as fast but takes a risk.

Point is, you can not compare thieves in tPvP to WvW…thieves invisibility and survivability is not as good in sPvP as they can’t hold points stealthed, which is the only objective in tPvP….killing is not that important (and hard to do against all the bunkers). The main reason people pick thieves in tPvP is for roaming due to mobility.

Once they make a team death match type mode, you’ll see it full of thieves, because that’s where they will shine..hard to kill, easy to kill with.

On the other hand a thief can accomplish a lot in WvW, as a roamer or as an objective player. examples are countless despite the typical argument “thief is useless in a zerg…” yeah that’s why so many people play the thief….since it’s all about the zerg.

The perfect example is killing dolyaks with little to no risk against superior numbers and them having no way to stop you from doing it since a dolyak is basically a guaranteed c/d land.

in WvW

Posted by: zastari.1730

zastari.1730

1) Don’t roll a stupid glass-cannon PvE build

Tsarazi – 80 Asuran Mesmer [DERP]
Maguuma