Night Capping and YOU

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Roland Falantyr.3290

Roland Falantyr.3290

I don’t want everyone in my guild to move to another game but this is gonna happen if you don’t somehow limit night capping , and is not just “my guild” case .
You are not giving the same opportunity to be part of the “war” to everyone , you are giving free wins to people playing at night ,and i imagine them to be way less then day-time players, and this discourages people to play WvW , to invest golds in upgrades , to enjoy this part of the game , try to realize it ASAP .

So they should limit NA as well? Because, you know….you’re night capping us.

By all means, limit the scoring SOMEHOW regardless of timezone where resistance is minimal. Its not rocket science. I really wish the Oceanic/SEA folks would stop straw manning this thing for their own political purposes.

Yes, we get that this is the first time Aussies have had an impact on any Open world pvp environment in any game. We understand you don’t want to be made irrelevant. Keeping prime tim irrelevant is not the answer though. You are destroying the very game you love. Is that really what you guys want?

I’m from Australia and I laughed reading this, so thank you. If it wasn’t us, you NA players would find something to trash on anyway, so I’m fine with it. Actually, I absolutely love it because the first actual MMO we’ve been treated with respect. I’m sorry you feel so upset that we’re ruining your game when in fact, Oceanic players have never complained about this.

Oceanic player: Sigh, everything was capped over night and I didn’t get to do anything about it. Oh well.
NA player: This isn’t fair, my servers losing, Arena net why you ruin my game? pls fix.

Oceanic players vs NA players during our prime time, it happens, every day. Is it easier? maybe. Is it a guarantee success? no. So instead of blaming everything on the Oceanic player base, who, fyi, paid the same as you. Find a way to make is fairer.

Another oceanic straw manning. Why?

We want a scoring system that doesn’t make the entire affair a numbers game for who can field a 24/7 population. NEWS FLASH: There aren’t enough of you to go around.
At this point its either WvW slowly dies off leaving only hard core alliances with oceanics or we do something to make the game playable after the first 2 days of the match are over and the server with better coverage is up by 50k+ points.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

• Players need more rewards for WvW.
  • Players need to be given opportunities to break out of their base when they are trapped in by a wall of arrow carts.
  • Guilds need a better reason to claim and HOLD objectives.
  • Commanders need to be rewarded for their success and need to be able to reward their followers in turn.
  • And so and and so forth.

I would argue that holding and defending points needs to become more valuable all together. I mean, I often went to my own borderlands and simply went to upgrade and defend the supply post there with a couple of people. Setting up ballistas at key locations and an arrow cart works pretty fine I would say.
However after it’s fully defended, and everything is upgraded and you want to keep it defended, you can’t really do anything but just waiting.

While it might be a crazy idea, I wouldn’t mind seeing some serious tactics coming into play so that it’s not needed to zerg to win. While I’m sure that not all of them are that great and might take away certain player interaction and make some of it more of a real time strategy.

• NPC Raiding parties. It would be interesting, that next to the already existing quaggan forces, and other NPCs in the other maps, you can send out NPC raiding parties to help aiding in certain objectives. Supplies camps might get taken by these and supplies raided.
  • Supply camp upgrades → Pallisade walls, turrets, minor defensive props.
  • Certain locations around a supply camp could be turned into defensible locations by making the guards/flags a defense objective in limited locations. (Otherwise you’d have a whole army of veteran guards making up a wall.) I find many of these guards in position where it’s pretty much not defending anything or guarding anything. To set up these guard post locations you can say you need to take like 100 supply to them.
    Taking these points, or setting these points up could give tiny event rewards.

*Make supply camps have heart like tasks, in order to make defending them more worthwile. (Protect the workers from -insert threat here-) Making it more interactable and more disruptable. (Killing workers = slower supply speed)
Setting up caravans faster, so that it’s possible to get supply caravans sending out more often.

*Supply caravans currently go automatically, and they should. However, often enough, these can be intercepted quite easily by one person. Veteran guard simply don’t do much and run back once the yak is dead. Also defending a yak is not worth the time reward wise. Player run supply runs and the option to put supply INTO supply stocks might be interesting. Or making supply crates available at which half of the supply of a yak can be walked to their destination. (In order to stop karma/gold farming, these can cost a certain amount of money or karma.)
That, or make supply caravan ambushes and stopping them a thing.

*Make upgrading keeps slightly active by allowing players to help with the upgrades. instead of 10 supply → Repair wall → upgrade wall. Though I’d keep a close eye on the increase in upgrade speed when loads of people doing that.

If all this makes towers and keeps too defensive, upgrading the attack methods (which isn’t a bad idea considering assaulting is very linear (attack gate/wall – zerg rush in))

• Siege ladders, that are easily destroyed from a wall, and can let players seep into towers or keeps at a not too great speed (thinking TF2 teleporters), cooldown of like 1 person every 10-60 seconds on teleporting on top of a wall)

And that’s just a little bit of brainstorming of course, as I see alot of problems with alot of those things according to balance. It’s just some ideas to make certain viable tasks more compelling to do, such as defending supply camps, or attacking towers and keeps. Or defending towers and keeps. With more tasks which are all equally viable zerging wont be as effective either.

Personally making supply posts more interesting or interactable would make WvW a whole lot more interesting for player who are in there to have fun. But then, it’s also just a brainstorm =p

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

Fairer would be to give Oceanic players their own servers and to stop matching them up against NA servers.

Then if a server night caps it is because they are just really dedicated players who deserve it.

I’m not hating on Oceanic people btw, you do deserve a fair chance to win, but so do we and as it stands servers with both Oceanic players and NA players are the ones with the high ranks. Not every server has that and it will never balance out the way Anet is hoping it will.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Cloud.7613

Cloud.7613

Fairer would be to give Oceanic players their own servers and to stop matching them up against NA servers.

Then if a server night caps it is because they are just really dedicated players who deserve it.

I’m not hating on Oceanic people btw, you do deserve a fair chance to win, but so do we and as it stands servers with both Oceanic players and NA players are the ones with the high ranks. Not every server has that and it will never balance out the way Anet is hoping it will.

This won’t happen and it’s causing another problem. As the straw man said, there is not enough to go around, so how can we make a server? that loses every week? No Oceanics would join it, I wouldn’t.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Dinks.2478

This won’t happen and it’s causing another problem. As the straw man said, there is not enough to go around, so how can we make a server? that loses every week? No Oceanics would join it, I wouldn’t.

I don’t claim to have the end all answer, I am just pointing my opinion of the only real solution. And as you have just put major holes into it. We’re back at square one.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Roland Falantyr.3290

So what would work for you other than the current status quo of “stack oceanics to win.”? Let me ask you a more direct question: Do you think the measure of a servers’ oceanic population should be the largest indicator of server rank?

I am curious if you will actually answer the question or sink back to your rhetoric…surprise me.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Cloud.7613

I don’t claim to have the end all answer, I am just pointing my opinion of the only real solution. And as you have just put major holes into it. We’re back at square one.

:( It’s disappointing huh? I’m trying to get a few friends to swap to a lower tier server, since I’m on Sea of Sorrows, the official Oceanic server. But I know a lot of Oceanic players come to the forums and see hate, so they stay where they feel they belong. -shrug- People are perfectly allowed to have their opinions, but we’re all playing the same game.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Roland Falantyr.3290

:( It’s disappointing huh? I’m trying to get a few friends to swap to a lower tier server, since I’m on Sea of Sorrows, the official Oceanic server. But I know a lot of Oceanic players come to the forums and see hate, so they stay where they feel they belong. -shrug- People are perfectly allowed to have their opinions, but we’re all playing the same game.

What they perceive as hate is a plea for fairness. Ignore the trolls on both sides and you are left with reasonable discourse. Sadly, most of the oceanic replies regarding nightcapping only respond to the most extreme North American viewpoints. Whats worse is that often they will repond to reasonable posts as if they are responding to the troll posts. You did this earlier.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Cloud.7613

So what would work for you other than the current status quo of “stack oceanics to win.”? Let me ask you a more direct question: Do you think the measure of a servers’ oceanic population should be the largest indicator of server rank?

I am curious if you will actually answer the question or sink back to your rhetoric…surprise me.

Good question, as you can see with Henge of Denravi I think It’s plausible but ultimately Arena Net never gave us the platform to dictate where we could go so we where forced to go as a group, a lot has joined other servers, the rest are stuck on Sea of Sorrows.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Roland Falantyr.3290

Good question, as you can see with Henge of Denravi I think It’s plausible but ultimately Arena Net never gave us the platform to dictate where we could go so we where forced to go as a group, a lot has joined other servers, the rest are stuck on Sea of Sorrows.

Fair enough. To me, the entire premise that these things will sort themselves out is flawed. Has ANET been watching the behavior patterns of the community? No one is going to transfer off of HoD in the interest of fairness or for the longevity of the game. ANET seems to expect Oceanics to even out and populations to spread over time…the rest they believe will be sorted by the matchmaking.

Wrong!
1.)Matchmaking system is over-simplified and useless due to free transfers. Losing servers get worse with every loss and winning servers get better.

2.)Oceanics/SEA are not going to transfer off their current servers to help ANET balance PVP.

3.)ANET does not want to come out and acknowledge that we have a problem here.

Factor in the above and it is time for me to switch over to tournaments for my pvp satisfaction.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Cloud.7613

What they perceive as hate is a plea for fairness. Ignore the trolls on both sides and you are left with reasonable discourse. Sadly, most of the oceanic replies regarding nightcapping only respond to the most extreme North American viewpoints. Whats worse is that often they will repond to reasonable posts as if they are responding to the troll posts. You did this earlier.

You forget what server majority of the small Oceanic player base went to. Sea of Sorrows is constantly targeted and defeated by heavy NA player base servers, is this fair? sure. We’re suffering from this too, just so happens we’re quiet about it because we knew this would probably be an issue. We’d like this to be solved just as much as you.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Roland Falantyr.3290

You forget what server majority of the small Oceanic player base went to. Sea of Sorrows is constantly targeted and defeated by heavy NA player base servers, is this fair? sure. We’re suffering from this too, just so happens we’re quiet about it because we knew this would probably be an issue. We’d like this to be solved just as much as you.

SoS is a rare example where the inverse is happening, I’ll grant you. The problem is no particular demographic.
Its the fact that capping the map unopposed is too powerful a tactic regardless of timezone or nationality.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Dinks.2478

SoS is a rare example where the inverse is happening, I’ll grant you. The problem is no particular demographic.
Its the fact that capping the map unopposed is too powerful a tactic regardless of timezone or nationality.

And since as Cloud stated, NA players are the majority, we bring up the issue a lot more often because there are more of us with the issue.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: kefro.9312

kefro.9312

Ok them thank u for the information, at least now i wont waste any more time with this game waiting for the balance

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Cloud.7613

And since as Cloud stated, NA players are the majority, we bring up the issue a lot more often because there are more of us with the issue.

Instead of blaming the Oceanic player base, get ANET to give us some guidance. I’m thinking of taking a few people to Anvil Rock and I know a LOT more Oceanic players would move to other servers, we just don’t know where to go. Is this our fault? no.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Dinks.2478

Instead of blaming the Oceanic player base, get ANET to give us some guidance. I’m thinking of taking a few people to Anvil Rock and I know a LOT more Oceanic players would move to other servers, we just don’t know where to go. Is this our fault? no.

Once again, I don’t mean to blame individual Oceanic players, or even the group as a whole. But it does seem to be the base problem. Once again I am not saying Oceanic players are intentionally ruining the game for people or that your actions are incorrect, but Anet expects this problem to fix itself by having people use the free transfers to transfer around when they get tired of long queues, and it just isn’t going to work out that way.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Deep Star.6541

Deep Star.6541

Honestly Cloud. If you saw the reasonable posts here you would understand what people is asking. I am actually from Brazil and i play on an EU server because i’ve many friends there from other mmos.

The few smart people who posted in this thread with logic and understandable solutions are NOT asking for a seperated Oceanic server or limiting EU servers only for europeans and same for US servers.

We’re just asking that the scores given are related with the actual PvP on the W3. So it would be very good if actuall Player kills would be taken into account on the points, how many sieges were actually destroyed, and so on. And that when you take an objective, the points given vary depending on how many people were fighting / defending that objective. You will still take objectives rather easy… but it will not give 40k points lead over night to your realm.

So for example → if you took a keep when you actually had resistance (you had to destroy 3 arrow carts, 2 ballistas, catapults …), and had to kill around 30 defenders, it will reward x points.
Now.. if you took the same keep without destroying any siege weapons, killing around 5 defenders who were running past, it will reward x/5 (for example) points.

Now you do notice that this system i’m proposing does not say ANYTHING about if its at prime-time, or off-prime time ?

So if you have a coordinated Oceanic guild running at the night (of NA based server) fighting against somewhat the same amount of people you’ll be rewarded the same as prime-time people, and you’ll most likelly beat them because you’re an organized guild. But if you’re just running and capping objectives without any resistance, and you’ll not be rewarded just the same as people who actually had to struggle with PvP to take an objective.

In the end we play W3 for the PvP content, for doing player versus player → it should reward accordingly.

Riviére, Select Start, Cmnd Ctrl, Uninteresting Event @ Three Steps Ahead [Oz]

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Dinks.2478

Honestly Cloud. If you saw the reasonable posts here you would understand what people is asking. I am actually from Brazil and i play on an EU server because i’ve many friends there from other mmos.

The few smart people who posted in this thread with logic and understandable solutions are NOT asking for a seperated Oceanic server or limiting EU servers only for europeans and same for US servers.

We’re just asking that the scores given are related with the actual PvP on the W3. So it would be very good if actuall Player kills would be taken into account on the points, how many sieges were actually destroyed, and so on. And that when you take an objective, the points given vary depending on how many people were fighting / defending that objective. You will still take objectives rather easy… but it will not give 40k points lead over night to your realm.

So for example -> if you took a keep when you actually had resistance (you had to destroy 3 arrow carts, 2 ballistas, catapults …), and had to kill around 30 defenders, it will reward x points.
Now.. if you took the same keep without destroying any siege weapons, killing around 5 defenders who were running past, it will reward x/5 (for example) points.

Now you do notice that this system i’m proposing does not say ANYTHING about if its at prime-time, or off-prime time ?

So if you have a coordinated Oceanic guild running at the night (of NA based server) fighting against somewhat the same amount of people you’ll be rewarded the same as prime-time people, and you’ll most likelly beat them because you’re an organized guild. But if you’re just running and capping objectives without any resistance, and you’ll not be rewarded just the same as people who actually had to struggle with PvP to take an objective.

In the end we play W3 for the PvP content, for doing player versus player -> it should reward accordingly.

I actually like these ideas. and its nice to see them all in one spot. It could be a potential fix, anet can tweak it to work properly. I would even live with the current system for a long time if they would just say they’re working on a solution. But the only thing they have said about anything related to WvW is that they’re just going to wait it out. What does that even mean? Are they planning to wait until it dies?

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Deep Star.6541

Just wanted to say that on the way i proposed on the post above. It is not forcing or limiting players to play whenever or wherever they want to. It is mainly about changing the reward/scoring system to fit properly.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Cloud.7613

So for example -> if you took a keep when you actually had resistance (you had to destroy 3 arrow carts, 2 ballistas, catapults …), and had to kill around 30 defenders, it will reward x points.

In the end we play W3 for the PvP content, for doing player versus player -> it should reward accordingly.

This doesn’t even deserve a response, but you know what, while waiting for my dungeon run starts, I’ll answer it. I’m on Sea of Sorrow, the most DOMINANT oceanic server player base. We fight every server, apart from one, who have just as many players playing at that exact time. So we generally just win or lose. Now, Henge of Denravi do it the best because they have a night time NA player base, yes I said it, NA player base. NA player base + Oceanic player base > Oceanic player base.

Besides, there are other things stopping W3 from being fair, orbs, hacking, bigger population, smarter tactics, bad score system.

If it was me, I’d scrap the orbs for now and make sure if a server DOES have a lower population in W3, they get more for what they have accordingly.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Dinks.2478

This doesn’t even deserve a response, but you know what, while waiting for my dungeon run starts, I’ll answer it. I’m on Sea of Sorrow, the most DOMINANT oceanic server player base. We fight every server, apart from one, who have just as many players playing at that exact time. So we generally just win or lose. Now, Henge of Denravi do it the best because they have a night time NA player base, yes I said it, NA player base. NA player base + Oceanic player base > Oceanic player base.

Besides, there are other things stopping W3 from being fair, orbs, hacking, bigger population, smarter tactics, bad score system.

If it was me, I’d scrap the orbs for now and make sure if a server DOES have a lower population in W3, they get more for what they have accordingly.

All in all, I think WvWvW has a long way to go, and only time will tell if servers balance out.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Cloud.7613

All in all, I think WvWvW has a long way to go, and only time will tell if servers balance out.

The one thing the NA player base has said which I agree on is I don’t think it will last that long, ANet has to fix this or people will leave. Oceanic people too.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Deep Star.6541

Cloud.7613
pedrst.3127

Huh? I honestly did not understood your post. I’m trying to bring a solution to nightcapping (NOT people who play at night or off peak-time) but nightcapping as in -> PvE capping -> no fighting, just taking empty keeps. So that this does not reflect that heavily on PvP scores. And please take notice that the solution i proposed ALSO reflects on taking empty objectives (not supply camps, just keeps and towers) at peak-time.

In this case points should be rewarded mostly for pvping (killing enemies, destroying sieges) and taking keeps / towers would also generate points (depending on the actual fighting involved to take / defend it), and they’d be seen more as tactical advantages more then anything → if you’ve a keep they now have to retake it → that means that you will score more points if you defend it properly + if they’re retaking it, that means they’re not attacking your own zone, so you’re Dolyaks are reaching their objectives easily and so on (unless they’ve small groups taking those down, but then they’re just playing smart).

I hope you understand what i’m trying to propose here.

(edited by Deep Star.6541)

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Binafus.8153

Binafus.8153

If it was not for night capping every server would beat HOD, is this really how every server feels except HOD?

Don’t matter that SBI got pushed off the map in EB during NA prime time last night, it is all becuase of night capping.

Daoc had 24 hour 3 way matches and many people still think it was one of the best games for WvW and back then people would say you guys only got a relic becuase you had a raid at 5am. The response would be “Well yea that is why we scheduled a raid at 5am.” People did not say they need to change the rules of the game where you can not take a relic at 5am.

There is a set rules in WvWvW on scoring, there is a ladder that is transparent the way it works, if you can not beat someone look at your team.

It seems to me the games have not changed it is the players, they seem to want to blame someone or something if they can not win.

Take some responsibilty, put on your big boy pants and stop blaming others when you do not win.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Dinks.2478

If it was not for night capping every server would beat HOD, is this really how every server feels except HOD?

Don’t matter that SBI got pushed off the map in EB during NA prime time last night, it is all becuase of night capping.

Daoc had 24 hour 3 way matches and many people still think it was one of the best games for WvW and back then people would say you guys only got a relic becuase you had a raid at 5am. The response would be “Well yea that is why we scheduled a raid at 5am.” People did not say they need to change the rules of the game where you can not take a relic at 5am.

There is a set rules in WvWvW on scoring, there is a ladder that is transparent the way it works, if you can not beat someone look at your team.

It seems to me the games have not changed it is the players, they seem to want to blame someone or something if they can not win.

Take some responsibilty, put on your big boy pants and stop blaming others when you do not win.

Sorrows Furnace beat Sanctum of Rall and Darkhaven last week despite the fact that we lack a night presence while DH seems split between night and day.

It took an unnecessary amount of effort and hours to even be competitive with them.

Stop trying to skate passed the issue at hand. Some servers don’t have people who play at night. If all servers were balanced with their populations, we wouldn’t be having this conversation.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: sliicex.1634

sliicex.1634

You’re making a big mistake by not adjusting for this in some manner. The competitiveness is gone when one server can field a night time crew and regain all the ground that was lost during the day effectively putting them in a position of power unearned through means that is very difficult to stop. Use the EvE model of timers so players know when to defend a keep and pool the resources.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Binafus.8153

In Daoc I was in a small guild that was number 1 on our server, Midgard was the weakest on our server.

Our guild deleted our toons and moved to Midgard in the end we were the highest ranked guild on the server, the second highest was our old guild that we left.

You will see some of the better guilds move off of HOD, but right now it is real hard to move when everyone says you should not be number 1, it makes you want to stay and keep beating them down over and over again.

There is only one way to be the best and that is to beat the top server, if you need rule changes to do this you are not the best.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Deep Star.6541

1. server is the one with the most spread out population, and its just as simple as that. I’m not saying they’re better or worse. They just have more people doing WvW at all times and taking objectives fast without any opposition atm gives the most amount of points → makes that server #1.

That’s just it, and that is just logic. You could argue that the best server is the ones that have 3-4am raids just to cap as many points as they can, being a super hardcore guild, i’m fine with that, you can be #1. But in no way, it means you’re the best in PvP. Simple because no PvP happened.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Trimsic.4392

Trimsic.4392

Greetings everyone!

We’ve received lots of feedback regarding night capping. Many want to know how Arenanet views this. Our answer is that WvW was developed as a never ending continuous battle.

We feel that everyone should have the ability to contribute no matter what time of the day it is. How we’ve came to this conclusion is that no player’s time is more valuable than another. Everyone has different off peak hours for whatever reason. Players should not be punished or unable to experience and view the same content as everyone else because they play at a different time. They too are paying customers.
This is not saying that we are against any adjustment to scoring, or against developing another mechanic to improve the capping system. This is simply saying that we will not be changing WvW based on some players’ idea of off time hours.

Please use this thread as the main discussion for this topic.

Please, let me explain what happened this week end.

Sunday, we fought hard, really hard, from 10 am to 1 am. During these 15 hours of tough fight, we managed to increase the gap between our server and our competitors by about 3K points.

From 1 am to 7 am, we marked 10k more points than our competitors.

Our server wins because because we have more people who can play at night than the other servers.

15 hours of hard fight => 3k points
6 hours of easy fight => 10k points

This is the problem.

Trimsic
Guild Leader Millenium Old School
http://mos.millenium.org

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Kazim.2043

Kazim.2043

Cloud, you shouldn’t see this as a only Oceanic problem. There are several other examples of it

1. NA servers with EU guilds
2. EU servers with Canadian guilds
3. EU/NA servers with alarm-clocking guilds
4. All Medium/Low population servers facing another server with just a little bitof more off-time players (20 more men can change whole match)

It’s not only Oceanics, and actually SoS is a very good example of how the other side can become the victim. As you said you’re getting “ninja-sleep-capped” also.

Ninja-sleep-capping is the strongest tactic/organization on WvW right now. And everyone (SEA/Oceanics/EU/NA) becomes victim of it in one match or in another. From all the replies I’ve seen so far only ones which are happy of current system is coming from either HoD or VS. There are some neutrals/pacifists which don’t care about scoring system. SoS members don’t want to loose their play times (and they are completely right), however they’re also complaining they are getting ninja-sleep-capped by other NA servers.

If ANet won’t bring some solutions to ninja-sleep-capping WvW will become a niche sport with a very low overall population, where only servers that can provide 7/24 coverage will compete and all the others will be deserted by transfers.

And neither ranking system nor free transfers solving the issue. It would have been solved so far, but every day it’s getting worse. Going down/up on the ranks does not make you match servers with same off-time crews. So far on all the matches either my server completely captured the map towards morning or another server. And at middle/low ranks whoever captures the map at off-time wins. All the other stuff are negligible. This is very demotivating.

Izuvac.5713 “…like imagine 2 taliban server against 1 american…”

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Dinks.2478

Trimsic, bravo to you. You are one of the few who seem willing to admit it.

Nobody is knocking good servers, I don’t even think its fair to knock any server over this issue. I just want the game to be balanced and fun. And getting home from work to find out that lead you fought hard for yesterday was taken away over the night by people who had little to no resistance is not fun.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Kazim.2043

This is the problem.

I think this is the summary of the real problem..

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: mangarrage.1062

mangarrage.1062

Let us not not confuse population and 24/7 coverage with being the best server. And really that’s the whole point of the discussion.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Sylosi.6503

Sylosi.6503

…Take some responsibilty, put on your big boy pants….

Responsibilty is putting your career, school/uni, family, etc before getting up at 4 am for a meaningless computer game.

It really is pretty simply if Anet want this aspect of their game to succeed (and in all likelihood their game to suceed given WvWvW was meant to be one the things keeping people playing long term), then they need to find a solution, night capping is reducing participation in WvW and it is a trend that is only going to get worse.

(edited by Sylosi.6503)

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Cloud.7613

Cloud, you shouldn’t see this as a only Oceanic problem. There are several other examples of it

1. NA servers with EU guilds
2. EU servers with Canadian guilds
3. EU/NA servers with alarm-clocking guilds
4. All Medium/Low population servers facing another server with just a little bitof more off-time players (20 more men can change whole match)

It’s not only Oceanics, and actually SoS is a very good example of how the other side can become the victim. As you said you’re getting “ninja-sleep-capped” also.

Ninja-sleep-capping is the strongest tactic/organization on WvW right now. And everyone (SEA/Oceanics/EU/NA) becomes victim of it in one match or in another. From all the replies I’ve seen so far only ones which are happy of current system is coming from either HoD or VS. There are some neutrals/pacifists which don’t care about scoring system. SoS members don’t want to loose their play times (and they are completely right), however they’re also complaining they are getting ninja-sleep-capped by other NA servers.

If ANet won’t bring some solutions to ninja-sleep-capping WvW will become a niche sport with a very low overall population, where only servers that can provide 7/24 coverage will compete and all the others will be deserted by transfers.

And neither ranking system nor free transfers solving the issue. It would have been solved so far, but every day it’s getting worse. Going down/up on the ranks does not make you match servers with same off-time crews. So far on all the matches either my server completely captured the map towards morning or another server. And at middle/low ranks whoever captures the map at off-time wins. All the other stuff are negligible. This is very demotivating.

All I see is Oceanic this, Oceanic that. This is a global problem, It needs to be solved, ANet is expecting we solve this as a community but what community? As an Oceanic player, I’m willing to move out from Sea of Sorrows, but where? I cannot move to a full server and what if there is absolutely no off-peak activity on the one I go to? And what IF a full server is pretty much 100% NA player base?

These are just a few of many questions surrounding the situation, this is not any players fault or their location, we’re in the dark as much as you with the solution, ANet has to at least help in some way but so far they have not. Free transfer? thanks, but the rapid amount of guilds just picking up and moving is causing more issues then it is solving.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Trimsic.4392

Trimsic.4392

This is the problem.

You want to solve it ?

Ok. Then apply the following formula:
granted points = potential points * N / C

where:
N = number of players in the WvW maps
C = max capacity in the WvW maps

I think this formula is fair for everyone.

Trimsic
Guild Leader Millenium Old School
http://mos.millenium.org

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Binafus.8153

Let us not not confuse population and 24/7 coverage with being the best server. And really that’s the whole point of the discussion.

HOD is the best server all you have to do is look at the rankings.

There are set rules, there is a ladder that has a set way to score on it.

To say they are not is just silly.

If’s And’s and But’s do not count on rankings.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Kazim.2043

You want to solve it ?

where:

Even though this alone won’t solve the problem “Why should I upgrade it, as it won’t be here next morning?”, I completely agree at least this would help current scoring balance issue.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: PotatoOverdose.6583

PotatoOverdose.6583

This is the problem.

You want to solve it ?

where:

This. Definitely this.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Kazim.2043

All I see is Oceanic this, Oceanic that. This is a global problem, It needs to be solved, ANet is expecting we solve this as a community but what community? As an Oceanic player, I’m willing to move out from Sea of Sorrows, but where? I cannot move to a full server and what if there is absolutely no off-peak activity on the one I go to? And what IF a full server is pretty much 100% NA player base?

These are just a few of many questions surrounding the situation, this is not any players fault or their location, we’re in the dark as much as you with the solution, ANet has to at least help in some way but so far they have not. Free transfer? thanks, but the rapid amount of guilds just picking up and moving is causing more issues then it is solving.

For once I completely agree with you. IMO we should keep this as a common ground and move forward from this.

WvW MANIFESTO:

• There is a problem and majority is unhappy about it
  • This is not a problem created by Oceanic/Canadian players, in general this is not a problem created by players, but game mechanics/design.
  • This problem can not be solved by players. Game mechanics/design need some improvements.
  • This problem can be solved fairly. WvW is not doomed to die or become a niche sport, only a small player base can enjoy/compete.
  • Solutions should not hinder any player’s game time. Should not prevent them enjoying the game, whenever they want to.
  • Solutions should not provide unfair advantage/disadvantage to any player playing any time of the game. Players should not have to change their life styles to be useful/competitive on WvW.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Zireael.3285

Zireael.3285

This is a global problem.

This is the only thing I can actually agree with you on. Because all I see you’re saying is “Oceanic this, Oceanic that.” Being from EU I couldn’t care less about anyone from Oceania, Asia or North America. I care about this game in general. So could you please stop pointing out how Oceania players are better or worse because of where they live? You’re not the problem, you’re not the solution. Could you focus on the problem for once and leave your i’m-living-on-the-end-of-the-world-complex outside of this forum? Please?

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Kazim.2043

@Binafus

Current rankings prove HoD is the most populated server with best 7/24 coverage on NA.

It proves/disproves nothing else.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Arreyanne.2683

Arreyanne.2683

Sigh,

I would rather them do as Mythic did with the Warhammer Lords.

Fort lords where kitten near un killable unless you had the entire 100 people in the Fort

Keep lords where rarely taken off hours by less than two warbands (24 Each)

As it is now most servers without a large NA Off Peak population have little to no chance to defend objectives.

Good for the NA Off peak population Servers bad for the Peak time population.

Whether they do something about it not doesn’t matter to me personally. I’ll still que up and still play

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Binafus.8153

@Kazim

North American World Rankings
2143.02 Henge of Denravi

I think the being at the top of the list means your number 1

I also think having the most points mean your number 1

I’m pretty sure Anet made the rules, created a ladder, gave points to the servers and it is very apparent to me HOD is at the top.

I find it hard to believe anyone can think that does not prove HOD is number one.

I know in todays world many people blame others when they get beat but it does not change the facts any.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Kazim.2043

@Kazim

North American World Rankings
2143.02 Henge of Denravi

I think the being at the top of the list means your number 1

I also think having the most points mean your number 1

I’m pretty sure Anet made the rules, created a ladder, gave points to the servers and it is very apparent to me HOD is at the top.

I find it hard to believe anyone can think that does not prove HOD is number one.

I know in todays world many people blame others when they get beat but it does not change the facts any.

Yes. According to scores :

• you’re number 1 server on WvW population
  • you’re number 1 server on 7/24 coverage

You beat everyone on WvW population and 7/24 coverage so far. Congratulations.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: ginzo.8792

ginzo.8792

what i think we can agree on is that there IS a problem. this official thread was clearly meant to put a lid on it, and end disscussion. however what it does do and can’t be questioned is show thhis is an issue that needs action not words from ANET.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Binafus.8153

@Pedrst

I think I’m bring more useful information than anyone on this discussion.

Everyone here joined a game that has set rules how to score and how to win.

The people that lose want to change the rules, I do not want the rules changed so you want me to go away.

SB DAOC which I thought were two of the best WvW games handled this problem the exact same way, it was for the players to work out how to win they did not change the rules to let the weaker teams win.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Binafus.8153

@Kazim

If that is what you think that is cool, everyone never agrees on anything in this game.

I know that being number one on the rankings only means one thing to me.

We scored more points than everyone else, dunno why that is so hard to understand.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Deep Star.6541

Matt Witter

This is not saying that we are against any adjustment to scoring, or against developing another mechanic to improve the capping system.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: spif.7580

spif.7580

If the game isn’t balanced more so that everyone playing has some level of fun, it won’t last very long.

This game is very fun when you can get semi-even numbers in the game.

I play on Kaeneng – constantly out-numbered and always fighting people with 3 orbs. I’m still here, but when my friends leave, I will be leaving too.

—- Kaineng : Nuke → Saarc ---