Remove the AOE limit.

Remove the AOE limit.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Daecollo.9578

Daecollo.9578

The blobs are getting ridiculous, this kind of gameplay isn’t fun, what is the point of combo fields and all that if people can just zerg up and stomp everyone?

Hero {} Roleplayer {} Friend {} Professional Princess Saver
https://twitter.com/TalathionEQ2

Remove the AOE limit.

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

So you want to make it so Staff Elementalists (and other AoE abusing builds) can take down entire zergs by themselves and become massively overpowered? Because that’s probably what would happen, causing ANet to pull a massive AoE nerf across the board that would effect PvE as well and make AoE useless. I SAY NAY!

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Remove the AOE limit.

Posted by: Gab Superstar.4059

Gab Superstar.4059

So you want to make it so Staff Elementalists (and other AoE abusing builds) can take down entire zergs by themselves and become massively overpowered? Because that’s probably what would happen, causing ANet to pull a massive AoE nerf across the board that would effect PvE as well and make AoE useless. I SAY NAY!

Unless you are blobbing up I really don’t see what problem a Staff Elementalist could pose to a zerg. The only AoE big enough to hurt anyone not standing in a blob is Meteor Shower, and the damage from that is already limited by the fact that only whoever is hit by the Meteors take damage, not everyone who is standing in the circle.

But if you really are worried, you could do what has been suggested many times and introduce diminishing returns on AoE.

Very Good Detectives [VGD]
Devonas Rest 4 lyfe

Remove the AOE limit.

RyuDragnier.9476

Diminishing returns I could work with Gab. Makes AoE useful in small bunches (meaning if there are only 5 or less enemies in the circle, they take full damage), but more than that it starts spreading out the damage making them less useful (while at the same time more).

[hS]

Remove the AOE limit.

Posted by: Brando.1374

Brando.1374

I actually want the AOE limit removed.
this will stop the Zerg running in a ball so it wont take much dmg (only 5 will get hit)
it will make the zerg split up and actually have to think of how they are going to position themselves instead of the normal grab kitten zerg ball we see today.

if you complain about all the AOE classes that will be “OP” you forget about retaliation and that person will get hit many times by it so they will also have to play smart.

Xxkakarot [GF] Good Fights
Dark Wizard Incar [GF] Good Fights
http://www.twitch.tv/xxkakarot

Remove the AOE limit.

Posted by: Nuzt.7894

Nuzt.7894

Do you die now if your in an Ele’s AoE ? Don’t stand in the AoE, it really is that simple.

If you refuse to move out of the AoE, you deserve to die.

I agree with the OP. Everyone is so afraid that they will be killed by a small group, your zerg has AoE’s as well, use them, there is no reason zergs should die to a small group ever.

Any zerg will have the capability of a small group and then some. The small group wiping a zerg is a rediculous argument, it just goes to show that even zerglings think they are terrible at the game.

Remove the AOE limit.

Brando.1374

Do you die now if your in an Ele’s AoE ? Don’t stand in the AoE, it really is that simple.

I agree with the OP. Everyone is so afraid that they will be killed by a small group, your zerg has AoE’s as well, use them, there is no reason zergs should die to a small group ever.

Any zerg will have the capability of a small group and then some. The small group wiping a zerg is a rediculous argument, it just goes to show that even zerglings think they are terrible at the game.

+9000

most zerglings are just bad.

Remove the AOE limit.

Posted by: Daemonne.5018

Daemonne.5018

How would this affect Dungeons?
Not to mention siege equipment wouldn’t stand a chance against a small group of AOE.

Imagine a Zerg Ball rolling up on you with AOE casters leading the way, demolishing all in its path without needing to get into melee range.

If you play solitaire with only one suit, your game is going to end faster and feel lacking.

Remove the AOE limit.

Brando.1374

How would this affect Dungeons?
Not to mention siege equipment wouldn’t stand a chance against a small group of AOE.

Imagine a Zerg Ball rolling up on you with AOE casters leading the way, demolishing all in its path without needing to get into melee range.

Dungeons will be faster
Siege…. i dont use it so I dont care
Zerg “ball” ….. flank and make them go home

Remove the AOE limit.

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

yeah, remove the AoE limit, but reduce their effectiveness/damage…. so no single eles can take a whole zerg but a group of eles can….

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Remove the AOE limit.

Posted by: Daemonne.5018

Daemonne.5018

Small Group defends tower vs Zerg.

If you play solitaire with only one suit, your game is going to end faster and feel lacking.

Remove the AOE limit.

Nuzt.7894

Siege equipment already gets hit by AoE, if you don’t spread it out your doing it wrong. As for dungeond … really ? They are so brainlessly easy right now, does it really matter ?

Remove the AOE limit.

RyuDragnier.9476

When I’m dying due to Ele AoE, I’m either dazed, knocked down, immobilized, knocked back into it, or the worst one…I’ve been lagged into it. And considering how it is ikittenerg, that last one happens a lot, though I don’t normally zerg unless we’re taking a tower, keep, or defending one. I prefer roaming in small groups and causing havoc.

[hS]

Remove the AOE limit.

Nuzt.7894

That video just proved my point, ty. If they had turned left at the top and thrown their own AoE’s the results would have been the opposite, but they didn’t they ran head first into the AoE like a bunch of mindless lemmings.

Remove the AOE limit.

Brando.1374

Small Group defends tower vs Zerg.

bad zerg vs good group

I just see good use of choke points and reflect skills and a mindless zerg trying to just take it over with more bodies.

Remove the AOE limit.

Posted by: MrKnieves.4162

MrKnieves.4162

Meteor shower + (fire) glyph of storms + Ice bow 4, with no AOE limit you got yourself a 15 second long attack with 2k++ damage per hit that could actually decimate a zerg.

One player shouldn’t have that much power.

Zheenn [Warrior] [Commander]| Alondra Del Mar [Thief] | Lorean Alisk [Elemental]
Rough Trade [RTGC]
Crystal Desert

Remove the AOE limit.

Posted by: Ljiona.9142

Ljiona.9142

Instant deaths aren’t fun. Melees would not exist. Guess what? Small groups would still suck. A large group will still dominate because AOE radius of a small group has no way of killing them.

Remove the AOE limit.

Posted by: Tallis.5607

Tallis.5607

You make a classic mistake. you assume that when some mechanism changes, people will not react to it.

If ANet makes AOE useful against zergs, people will zerg less. Plain and simple.

Tallis – Perpetual newbie – Tarnished Coast.
Always carries a towel – Never panics – Eats cookies.

Remove the AOE limit.

Brando.1374

Instant deaths aren’t fun. Melees would not exist. Guess what? Small groups would still suck. A large group will still dominate because AOE radius of a small group has no way of killing them.

Actually small groups will see little change because as it is now that 20+ man zerg already hits each one of us while we can only hit a max of 5.

Remove the AOE limit.

Posted by: TyPin.9860

TyPin.9860

I too find the AoE limit annoying. At least it should be increased imho that one can hit a larger number with AoE spells. It is just awfull to see a Zerg run arround on one spot and getting protected by numbers standing all into each other. What is the problem in dodging out of AoE circles?

The downed/rez system and the AoE limit gives a large Zerg an advantage that is greater than the advantage they have due to simple numbers already…

[ROSE] – Fissure of Woe
Chronomancy works, I am proof of it. Now stop asking me questions. Time must be preserved!

Remove the AOE limit.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

AOE would be overpowered without such a limit. Its good as it is.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Remove the AOE limit.

Posted by: Daecollo.9578

Daecollo.9578

Explain how it would be OP?

IF it wasn’t limited, it would force people to “THINK” and not mindlessly run in.

People would actually dodge and avoid AOEs.

Hero {} Roleplayer {} Friend {} Professional Princess Saver
https://twitter.com/TalathionEQ2

Remove the AOE limit.

Brando.1374

only if you all clump up in the zerg will AOE be overpowered.

Remove the AOE limit.

Posted by: Tuluum.9638

Tuluum.9638

Another +1 for removal of the AoE cap.

It would do nothing to deter zergs, but it would take away the artificial skill cap against smaller groups.

The zergs have an innate advantage anyway in that they can output significantly more damage than a small group. If you have a group of 10 going against a group of 40, and they just spam their AoE skills, the group of 40 still has a HUGE advantage in damage output and will likely kill the group of 10 (because of no AoE limit) before the eles can even get off a meteor shower.

It will start to make things like positioning, timing, and skill more of a factor than they are now. I even see people bragging about flanking and using terrain advantageously, and I dont think such basic tactics would be a source of pride in any other PvP game I have played. I would really like to see tactics that are actually advanced and difficult pay off. When the bar is set low, which is perpetuated by the AoE limit, we usually end up seeing counter-intuitive strategies (like stacking to reduce damage) and less creative/skilled play.

The only argument against removing it that I concede is that it may make lag even worse.. And for many, its already pretty darn bad (some nights are completely unplayable for me).

What I hope is that as part of the custom arenas, they allows us to determine what the AoE cap for the match is. I think that this would not only be a good starting point and partial test ground, but it just allows more options for the user. When dealing with “custom” things, more options are generally a good thing. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Henosis [ONE]
06-04-13
NEVER FORGET

(edited by Tuluum.9638)

Remove the AOE limit.

Posted by: Lok.3102

Lok.3102

The problem is it would make certain professions and builds incredibly powerful. Everyone would play those builds.

I think they should buff AE from the siege weapons. Siege weapons should be the zerg killers. Remove AE cap from siege weapons (if it exists) and buff the damage.

Remove the AOE limit.

Tuluum.9638

The problem is it would make certain professions and builds incredibly powerful. Everyone would play those builds.

This will happen in every game, no matter what mechanics are used. It even happens now, where certain professions and builds are extremely powerful. Just the nature of the beast.

I think they should buff AE from the siege weapons. Siege weapons should be the zerg killers. Remove AE cap from siege weapons (if it exists) and buff the damage.

I think that they should buff damage from arrow carts, but with the addition of the WXP buffs for the bali.. I am not sure I agree on that. Overall though, I agree in that siege should be feared. As it is, one of my favorite things to do is dance in the rain (of arrows from arrow carts). I might have to slap on some regeneration. Maybe. The cripple is useful though, and if you have a properly traited warrior, they can lock down their enemy.

Henosis [ONE]
06-04-13
NEVER FORGET

Remove the AOE limit.

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

A single tick of meteor shower can tick for upwards of 5k. That means a single wave from just 5 eles could kill everything except Warriors and Necros before you factor in toughness. Toughness would only make it so you would add Rangers and Mesmers to the list. The rest of the classes would be killed in a second. This isn’t even considering the second tick of the spell. And that’s just your basic GTAOE. What about fire grab that hits for 10k? the game would quickly turn from zerg on zerg to suicidal ele bombs. This isn’t what this game needs.

You know what games with less strict AE caps offer that this game doesn’t? Real resist. If players could put on resist gear to reduce Fire damage by 75% like some other PvP centric MMO’s have offered it wouldn’t be a big deal. But then once you introduce resists, you need to introduce elemental vulnerability to offset it. Then you need to introduce a much more realistic cleansing system. And what would a more robust cleansing system need? Well a more robust purging system.

You’re never going to fix the zerg mentality. The only thing you can do is design the environment to not reinforce it. But so long as WvW in this game amounts to nothing but running in circles until 2 zergs catch up to one another, it will never change.

WvW is supposed to be a game of keep defense. Problem #1 is the extreme lack of choke points that favor the defenders. Problem #2 is how every keep is little more than a giant empty box with a lord in the middle of a giant empty room. Problem #3 is this game doesn’t have robust keep defender NPC’s. Problem #4 is how there is no defensive focus and it’s all just siege walls, cap point, and leave it for someone to recap it later.

Every MMO that’s focused on PvP has had zerg balls. They’re only a problem in games with no real depth to their PvP system where tactics and strategic gameplay take a back seat to numbers. Look at how involved PvP was in games like DAOC, Lineage or Shadowbane and compare it to what this game offers. And even they had caps on AE.

(edited by Atherakhia.4086)

Remove the AOE limit.

Posted by: Thrumdi.9216

Thrumdi.9216

+1 to removing AoE cap.

If Anet is serious about reducing the dominance of zergs, they need to change the mechanics, that — wait for it — allow the dominance of zergs.

Thrumdi, Captain of The Tarnished Coastguard

The ultimate GW2 troll.

Remove the AOE limit.

Nuzt.7894

Devs just need to stop putting training wheels on everything, Pv kitten uppose to be challenging, it is suppose to have a learning curve. All they have done currently is help players get progressively worse, they don’t move out of AoE because they don’t have to, if this game had a /follow or /stick option all it would be is one commander and 40 AFK players with a penny wedged into the #1 key. Its pathetic, players should be forced to get better, learn to react, and at the very least play the game.

Remove the AOE limit.

Posted by: Harbinger.9645

Harbinger.9645

Yea, zergs already have such a huge advantage with their numbers alone that they really shouldn’t be given any extra incentive to do so. People are fooling themselves if they think these super zergs are anything but overpowered. If we follow that line of thinking things that are obviously overpowered need to be balanced. Removing the AoE limit seems like a logical step in the right direction for most people.

Plus isn’t limiting the number of people that can be hit by it counter intuitive for an AoE skill? Anything in the area should be affected by it’s very nature.

Cynaptix-Mesmer(80)
Member of Gamers With Jobs(GWJ)
From the Northern Shiver Peaks

Remove the AOE limit.

Posted by: Ubi.4136

Ubi.4136

Yes. People play thieves because they want to appear out of nowhere and hit 3 buttons and kills people. If you want to nuke large numbers of people dumb enough to stand literally on top of each other play an ele or necro. If you want to face tank everything play a warrior or guardian.

I’ll sign removing the aoe cap every time, although they will likely not change it, but the tool tip to read “hits 5 people max” instead of “area of effect” (which is currently not in the game. Even arrow carts are not technically “area of effect” they are “LAOE” or “limited area of effect”.

Lost in the Maguuma [TC]
Te Nosce [TC]

Remove the AOE limit.

Posted by: brandon.6735

brandon.6735

If we can’t remove the cap at least raise the cap limit maybe?

Guardianhipster
Thiefhipster

Remove the AOE limit.

Posted by: pulsecodesgnl.3470

pulsecodesgnl.3470

I would be interested to see how gameplay would change if the AoE limits were removed, or even raised to a higher cap.

There should be disincentive to stand in AoE circles, regardless of your numbers.

Voxtr | Svell | Kvikr | Svass | Sundr | Naud | Kvedja | Traust
Sorrow’s Furnace – Commander/Officer
Kabal of the Righteous [Seed]

Remove the AOE limit.

Tuluum.9638

Devs just need to stop putting training wheels on everything

You know, I saw someone suggest something just a bit ago.. Basically, that at first, there IS an AoE limit for new players. But, as time goes on, this starts to reduce until it is gone. There are a lot of ways this could be implemented.

imo, training wheels are great! But, they are made to be taken off once you can actually ride the bike since keeping them on actually limits what you can really do with the bike.

The only AoE limit I approve of are the red circles. And, I dont really have a problem with the way a skill like meteor shower is set up.

Just to clarify on meteor shower specifically, that is the skill that is closest to not having an AoE limit. Each meteor is limited to 5 people but that doesnt apply to the whole skill. The entire skill, even as the mechanics are now, can hit every single person in the zerg. It most likely wont, but thats another thread. At least, that is how I understand it.

Henosis [ONE]
06-04-13
NEVER FORGET

Remove the AOE limit.

Posted by: Acelerion.6820

Acelerion.6820

This is a good post.

I always thought the are limit was more for server hardware limitations than balance.

But seriously, dont stand in the red circles! Its just that easy. I have literally never died to an ae ele and I rukittenman that can’t hide behind poor game mechanics .

OINK – Devona’s Rest
Mesmer-Thief
http://www.youtube.com/user/Axcelerion?feature=watch – Small group videos

Remove the AOE limit.

Posted by: Phoenix.3416

Phoenix.3416

Sigh, to remove the AOE cap anet would need to make single target damage practically one hit kill

If you can do 500 damage to 30 targets at once with one skill a single target skill needs to do 500×30 to one target. but since you wont always have 30 targets to hit with an aoe skill the damage could be between 500 and 15000

Instead of asking for the aoe limit to be removed ask for a more skill based system instead of spamming attacks, different attacks should counter each other. Throw down AOE at me and I can put up a wall, but throw a single attack and it goes through and I have to dodge. If AOE can be blocked and single target requires dodging I would consider removing the AOE cap or increasing

A mixture of blocks and attacks would be a better design I think. a Game with a real “duel” system would be more fun I think.
I throw an attack at you, you parry it with another skill or dodge, you fire back an attack skill which I attempt to do the same.
I always prefered Rock paper scissor skill systems than what we currently have… the everyone does damage no matter what skill system.

Remove the AOE limit.

Posted by: Vena.8436

Vena.8436

But seriously, dont stand in the red circles! Its just that easy.

What is: Leg Specialist Superior Arrow Carts + Uncapped AoE.
What is: Roots + Uncapped AoE.
And the list goes on…

I hope you find that fun.

Vena/Var – Guardian/Thief
[Eon] – Blackgate

Remove the AOE limit.

pulsecodesgnl.3470

That would be rather fun actually. Players would have more power. A zerg of people rooting would be incredibly rough in melee, would require tactics to counter them, imagine that.

Remove the AOE limit.

Harbinger.9645

Sigh, to remove the AOE cap anet would need to make single target damage practically one hit kill

If you can do 500 damage to 30 targets at once with one skill a single target skill needs to do 500×30 to one target. but since you wont always have 30 targets to hit with an aoe skill the damage could be between 500 and 15000

It doesn’t mean that at all, they wouldn’t need to touch single target damage.

If no one stands in the Area then it does 0 damage. Seems pretty balanced to me.

Why is it that when ever we bring up removing the AoE limit people assume that the targets of the AoE are just going to stand there and take each and every hit. People will move, and if they don’t then they will be punished accordingly.

It’s just too easy, as it stands now, for a zerg to take fully upgraded towers. With the insane protection/regeneration stacking and combo field use Zergs already have a stupid advantage against defenders. Give zergs something to worry about other than running into an enemy zerg.

Cynaptix-Mesmer(80)

Remove the AOE limit.

Posted by: CrimsonNeonite.1048

CrimsonNeonite.1048

I’m all for increasing the cap but i doubt removing it is the best idea, either way they’ll have to spread out the effect of AOE buffs and damage. Right now I think there’s so much profession bias in a ‘zerg rather than builds, even with culling gone the lag has gotten worse and as important as movement is the key thing is to spam AOE and blob up and hope you hit something or don’t get hit..

Scrubio
Plays completely opposite professions to his main Teef.

(edited by CrimsonNeonite.1048)

Remove the AOE limit.

Posted by: D W.5179

D W.5179

I would love to see AoE caps removed to stop the zergballs. A good point was raised about retaliation though, and without rethinking that, uncapping AoE would just make the zergball run X amount of retaliation so anybody that AoE’s them will be killed almost instantly.
I’m down for removing the AoE limit, but things like retaliation will need rethought.

Remove the AOE limit.

pulsecodesgnl.3470

Breaking people up, and disincentivising zergs may actually help improve that excess lag to be fair. We don’t know what would happen or form up with those changes to be honest, hypotheticals are nice, but they aren’t really a practical argument.

Remove the AOE limit.

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

That… make absolutely no sense at all. The math around it can be anything to prevent your imaginary issue. Such as a simple upper limit to damage.

Anyway I still think everyone is looking in the wrong direction. We need to impose a limit to the currently unlimited AoE/direct damage you can get hit by. That will significantly weaken zergballing, because that’s what make it so powerfull and what everyone seems to completely ignore, because all they focus is on what damage they can do (ZOMG DPS WINS!!!). To make it simple:

Group (6 players) is target of Zergball (50 players).
- An individual in Zergball can only hit 5 of 6 players, just like an individual in Group can only hit 5 of 50 players (the horror!!!).
- An individual in Group can get hit by 50 players.
- An individual in Zergball can get hit by 6 players.

Guess which individual dies instantly?

My suggestion would be to introduce glancing blows with significantly reduced damage when more than 5 different people hit you in a very short time. Call it… Stacking too many weapons on one target, so they block each other from hitting. And do remove the AoE limitation, by all means. It’ll help too.

(edited by Dawdler.8521)

Remove the AOE limit.

Tuluum.9638

Breaking people up, and disincentivising zergs may actually help improve that excess lag to be fair. We don’t know what would happen or form up with those changes to be honest, hypotheticals are nice, but they aren’t really a practical argument.

That is exactly why I think implementing something like an “AoE limit slider” as an option for the custom arenas would be a good feature. This would also need a pretty big cap on population in the arenas to be relevant. Its not exactly the same as WvW, obviously, but it could provide in-game results.

I still dont think it would discourage zergs. Small groups just wouldnt have an artificial cap on skill, but neither would the zerg. It seems to be a widely held idea that there is zero skill present in any zerg, but I do disagree with that. Removing the cap would allow both small groups and large groups to have their skill taken into more consideration in engagements though.

Numbers alone would still give a huge advantage, allowing for more mistakes from that side. I do think we would see less stacking, etc, but that would just be replaced by people spreading out a bit more on average. Which sounds about right to me. Most people will learn that one way leads to dying a whole lot more than the other, just like we did with stacking. And stacking is even counter-intuitive, where you stand IN the fire to take less damage.

Henosis [ONE]
06-04-13
NEVER FORGET

Remove the AOE limit.

Posted by: Acelerion.6820

Acelerion.6820

But seriously, dont stand in the red circles! Its just that easy.

What is: Leg Specialist Superior Arrow Carts + Uncapped AoE.
What is: Roots + Uncapped AoE.
And the list goes on…

I hope you find that fun.

I deal with it everyday because I run 5 or less. We did what the zerg won’t, adapt.

OINK – Devona’s Rest
Mesmer-Thief
http://www.youtube.com/user/Axcelerion?feature=watch – Small group videos

Remove the AOE limit.

Posted by: Luna.9640

Luna.9640

So let me drop my 5 cents here.

Since your primary concern is big number groups aka zergs and you give voice to concerns related to 1-2-3 man annihilating way bigger enemy i would like to propose to make AoE skills a splash or channeling skills.

The idea is similar to chain lightening where it strikes the person casted on and jumps to next one and so on till it reaches a cap.

But the difference i propose is to make it increase dmg. with every enemy after a certain number it hops.

E.g. 1-2-5-10-30-50-80-120 dmg and so on.

So basically a grp of lets say 5 enemy wont get more dmg. than 5 (1-2-3-4-5) if a aoe channeling skin being casted on them while a grp of 20 will get alot dmg. since the skill will hop on more people and with every person it hops will increase it dmg.

The idea probably is not good nor good presented due to my lack of fluent English skills but you should be able to get the idea.

Remove the AOE limit.

Nuzt.7894

@Luna, nothing wrong with that, alot of games use the center of the AoE as the most potent damage, the further you are from the center the less damage you take.

The bottom line is, GW2 has so much mobility available there is no reason for anyone to be stuck standing in an AoE for its duration. Several stun breakers, several blinks, portals, dodge rolls, the list goes on. People would just have to learn that they can use more then the #1 key.

Remove the AOE limit.

Posted by: Phoenix.3416

Phoenix.3416

That… make absolutely no sense at all. The math around it can be anything to prevent your imaginary issue. Such as a simple upper limit to damage.

Anyway I still think everyone is looking in the wrong direction. We need to impose a limit to the currently unlimited AoE/direct damage you can get hit by. That will significantly weaken zergballing, because that’s what make it so powerfull and what everyone seems to completely ignore, because all they focus is on what damage they can do (ZOMG DPS WINS!!!). To make it simple:

Group (6 players) is target of Zergball (50 players).
- An individual in Zergball can only hit 5 of 6 players, just like an individual in Group can only hit 5 of 50 players (the horror!!!).
- An individual in Group can get hit by 50 players.
- An individual in Zergball can get hit by 6 players.

Guess which individual dies instantly?

My suggestion would be to introduce glancing blows with significantly reduced damage when more than 5 different people hit you in a very short time. Call it… Stacking too many weapons on one target, so they block each other from hitting. And do remove the AoE limitation, by all means. It’ll help too.

If my AOE DPS in wvw is 500 per target and theres no limit I can potentially do an extreme amount of damage to a group of players. If my AOE skill does 500 damage per target and could be hiting 30 players my DPS in that case would be 15000

If a single target user did 2x the base damage to the target say 1000, they are still doing 15x less dps to the same targets.

For the game to be balanced both single target and AOE need to be balanced or everyone would role an elementalist and single target builds would never be used.

It also messes up the balance between classes. If my engineer can do AOE damage at 1500 range and your Elementalist cant, enough engineers could wipe your zerg before you got into range. The Elementalist would need a higher DPS per skill to counter the range between the two classes.

Its incredibly hard to balance something like this without reworking the entire game.

Dodging is not infinite, you can only dodge twice per X amount of time, so claiming players can dodge to avoid damage is silly when I could use 5 skills before your 3rd dodge is possible.

Remove the AOE limit.

Posted by: Yams.6082

Yams.6082

I am okay with the zerging. On T4 and below (hint: get out of the T1/2 zergfests), servers can’t maintain 30+ people on more than one map. If you don’t like the zerg, go to a different map. I think it’s foolish to introduce mechanics which allow a group of 5 to take out a group of 15. Numbers are always a viable tactic. All I see is a bunch of people who don’t like the meta for WvW and want the game mechanics changed to suit their purposes.

Yams One/Two/Three/Four/Five/Six
SBI

Remove the AOE limit.

Harbinger.9645

So let me drop my 5 cents here.

Since your primary concern is big number groups aka zergs and you give voice to concerns related to 1-2-3 man annihilating way bigger enemy i would like to propose to make AoE skills a splash or channeling skills.

The idea is similar to chain lightening where it strikes the person casted on and jumps to next one and so on till it reaches a cap.

But the difference i propose is to make it increase dmg. with every enemy after a certain number it hops.

E.g. 1-2-5-10-30-50-80-120 dmg and so on.

So basically a grp of lets say 5 enemy wont get more dmg. than 5 (1-2-3-4-5) if a aoe channeling skin being casted on them while a grp of 20 will get alot dmg. since the skill will hop on more people and with every person it hops will increase it dmg.

The idea probably is not good nor good presented due to my lack of fluent English skills but you should be able to get the idea.

I can’t say one way or the other if that would really be good or bad, but I can say that it’s an interesting take on it.

Cynaptix-Mesmer(80)