SoS transfers

SoS transfers

in WvW

Posted by: Moo Poo.7358

Moo Poo.7358

How does SoS keep getting all these transfers in even though their server is full? I really want to know the process so I can join a full world my friend is in.

SoS transfers

in WvW

Posted by: Gab Superstar.4059

Gab Superstar.4059

I think the major guilds coordinate to have all their members log off at the same time for a short time period. The population status is determined by the amount of people online, so this would take it down a notch from full, allowing people to transfer there.

Very Good Detectives [VGD]
Devonas Rest 4 lyfe

SoS transfers

in WvW

Posted by: ComeAndSee.1356

ComeAndSee.1356

Just have to be on at the right time.

Sha Nari – 80 Guardian (http://bit.ly/12RNvtK)
Lorella Windrunner – 80 Thief
Shayera Nightfall – 80 Mesmer

SoS transfers

in WvW

Posted by: Mugiwara no Luffy.1964

Mugiwara no Luffy.1964

SoS was indeed on very high for like 5-10mins just a few mins ago.

SoS transfers

in WvW

Posted by: Nidome.1365

Nidome.1365

I think the major guilds coordinate to have all their members log off at the same time for a short time period. The population status is determined by the amount of people online, so this would take it down a notch from full, allowing people to transfer there.

So you are suggesting that they may be artificially making the population appear lower to cheat server limits?
Just as a query, but if that is what they are doing, doesn’t that sound like the definition of an exploit…..?

SoS transfers

in WvW

Gab Superstar.4059

So you are suggesting that they may be artificially making the population appear lower to cheat server limits?
Just as a query, but if that is what they are doing, doesn’t that sound like the definition of an exploit…..?

You could consider it an exploit, yes. But far from all exploits are shunned by Arena Net, with some even being widely accepted.

Devonas Rest 4 lyfe

SoS transfers

in WvW

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

I don’t understand how that’s an exploit. It’s just like when playing wvw. If the borderland is full, you queue until someone leaves. So for people to join a server they log out to allow their ‘space’ to be free.

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

SoS transfers

in WvW

Gab Superstar.4059

I don’t understand how that’s an exploit. It’s just like when playing wvw. If the borderland is full, you queue until someone leaves. So for people to join a server they log out to allow their ‘space’ to be free.

It’s actually not at all like what you are describing, but I am sure you already know that.

Devonas Rest 4 lyfe

SoS transfers

in WvW

Posted by: Xirin.8593

Xirin.8593

For one to consider this an exploit, one would have to conclude that logging off of the game is not allowed.

[AoN] All or Nothing

SoS transfers

in WvW

Posted by: Porky.5021

Porky.5021

What server limit?

Say 1000 (sample only) are allowed on at once.

100 people log off, 100 people transfer…there is still only 1000 people allowed online at once.

Overlord Of [NAKY]
SOS Spy Team Commander [SPY]

SoS transfers

in WvW

Posted by: ComeAndSee.1356

ComeAndSee.1356

This is the same problem that happened with SWTOR. They launched the game with more servers than it really needed, but at least they were smart and put in free transfers.

Server queues aren’t fun. You should be able to play on any server you want.

Sha Nari – 80 Guardian (http://bit.ly/12RNvtK)
Lorella Windrunner – 80 Thief
Shayera Nightfall – 80 Mesmer

SoS transfers

in WvW

Gab Superstar.4059

For one to consider this an exploit, one would have to conclude that logging off of the game is not allowed.

That’s like saying crafting must be an exploit if Snowflake jewelry is.

You are creating artificial space on your server that is in reality taken. You are abusing the mechanics of the transfer system, just like people exploited the mechanics of Snowflake jewelry.

Devonas Rest 4 lyfe

SoS transfers

in WvW

Xirin.8593

That’s like saying crafting must be an exploit if Snowflake jewelry is.

You are creating artificial space on your server that is in reality taken. You are abusing the mechanics of the transfer system, just like people exploited the mechanics of Snowflake jewelry.

So I’m not allowed to log off?

[AoN] All or Nothing

SoS transfers

in WvW

Gab Superstar.4059

What server limit?

100 people log off, 100 people transfer…there is still only 1000 people allowed online at once.

One person logging off does not instantly cause the server to go from full to high.

Devonas Rest 4 lyfe

SoS transfers

in WvW

Leo Paul.1659

That analogy doesn’t make sense. Every now and then all servers’ population fluctuates. People leave, people join. I don’t understand what’s the big deal if people coordinate with each other regarding it. It’s like saying you shouldn’t join a server that registered full yesterday because you might be taking someone’s space who just logged off.

SoS transfers

in WvW

Gab Superstar.4059

That analogy doesn’t make sense. Every now and then all servers’ population fluctuates. People leave, people join. I don’t understand what’s the big deal if people coordinate with each other regarding it. It’s like saying you shouldn’t join a server that registered full yesterday because you might be taking someone’s space who just logged off.

Because you are manipulating the amount of people the server can hold.

If there was a queue to log in to the server ´what you say would make sense, but if 500 people log off to let 250 people transfer, that server will not have a net loss of players, because the people who logged off can just log right back in 5 minutes later, causing the amount of people online to have exceeded what is really the limit for the server.

Devonas Rest 4 lyfe

(edited by Gab Superstar.4059)

SoS transfers

in WvW

Posted by: deviller.9135

deviller.9135

What server limit?

A bit wrong. I think GW2 does not have limit how many people online at once. Its only have threshold for determining server poplation (like if there is more than 999 people online at a time, the server will full, but less than that, the server will be very high, high, medium, low). If GW2 has a limit to the number of people which are online, it is a little weird: there is almost no history people suddenly DC-ed from the game (apart of network error), you can still login in any prime time and play without any negative effect, and the last, the system to determine the population of the server they used (if there is a limit to the number of people which online, the maximum number of population will be set (static))

I dont know why Anet does not use static number based on registered user in the server to determine server population as current population system has made a gap between every server population become bigger and bigger.

(edited by deviller.9135)

SoS transfers

in WvW

Leo Paul.1659

If there was a queue to log in to the server ´what you say would make sense, but if 500 people log off to let 250 people transfer, that server will not have a net loss of players, because the people who logged off can just log right back in 5 minutes later, causing the amount of people online to have exceeded what is really the limit for the server.

There IS a queue to log in to a server. It’s called an overflow.

SoS transfers

in WvW

Posted by: EasymodeX.4062

EasymodeX.4062

Actually, it’s exactly like what he’s describing. You just don’t like it.

If you can’t read English, please do not reply to my post.

SoS transfers

in WvW

Gab Superstar.4059

But the overflow is not universal for every zone is it? What you are arguing is that server limits are not useful, which I strongly disagree with. The amount of people playing the game, together with the amount of servers and their limit serves a very important role in any MMO, because it makes sure that population is spread out somewhat equally across servers. When you cheat the system to get more people to play on the most highly populated servers, you are causing;

1) Skewing WvW. Instead of having relatively balanced matches the top 3 servers will keep increasing their presence, resulting in an ever-losing struggle for the lower tiered servers in their effort to get somewhere.

2) You are killing PvE on the other servers. These servers do NOT have access to these overflow servers you speak of, leading to extremely scarcely populated zones on these servers.

And you do this only to feed your server more people in WvW. It’s not cool and causes a lot of harm to the game. If you can’t see that then you are simply ignorant.

Devonas Rest 4 lyfe

SoS transfers

in WvW

deviller.9135

Overflow is not a queue to log in to a server. Its a queue for an instanced map. What considered you are log in to server: your account has been authenticated (which is login screen).

(edited by deviller.9135)

SoS transfers

in WvW

Posted by: Basedgod.7328

Basedgod.7328

How does SoS keep getting all these transfers in even though their server is full? I really want to know the process so I can join a full world my friend is in.

Certain servers have organized ‘blackout’ sessions to allow for a ftansfer of guilds to get through at a certain time of the day.

I believe Sanctum of Rall had one some few hours ago.

But keep on trying at different times of the day. SoS is still the unofficial Australian server so it was still near peak time at the time of your post. Good luck, though. Hope you join your friends.

Funniest Ele NA
[coVn] Witches I Chaotic Good
Fort Aspenwood

SoS transfers

in WvW

Leo Paul.1659

But the overflow is not universal for every zone is it? What you are arguing is that server limits are not useful, which I strongly disagree with. The amount of people playing the game, together with the amount of servers and their limit serves a very important role in any MMO, because it makes sure that population is spread out somewhat equally across servers. When you cheat the system to get more people to play on the most highly populated servers, you are causing;

1) Skewing WvW. Instead of having relatively balanced matches the top 3 servers will keep increasing their presence, resulting in an ever-losing struggle for the lower tiered servers in their effort to get somewhere.

2) You are killing PvE on the other servers. These servers do NOT have access to these overflow servers you speak of, leading to extremely scarcely populated zones on these servers.

And you do this only to feed your server more people in WvW. It’s not cool and causes a lot of harm to the game. If you can’t see that then you are simply ignorant.

LOL server population isn’t determined by how many accounts have joined but on how many is online, or else it wouldn’t fluctuate even if I log out and would have to choose “SOS” every single time I log in. Your conjecture is just silly. If a server caps in population at a specific moment, subsequent people who goes online goes in a queue to join their server via the overflow. Therefore, mass transfers via server blackouts is NOT an exploit. Just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean it’s bad.

SoS transfers

in WvW

Posted by: EnRohbi.2187

EnRohbi.2187

Wait, cool,
So terrain jumping into the enemy’s keep is only considered an exploit if Jumping in the game is not allowed?

Will keep in mind

Dragonbrand

SoS transfers

in WvW

Xirin.8593

Wait, cool,
So terrain jumping into the enemy’s keep is only considered an exploit if Jumping in the game is not allowed?

Will keep in mind

Is the ability to log out intended?

Is the ability to wall jump into the enemy’s keep intended?

[AoN] All or Nothing

SoS transfers

in WvW

Leo Paul.1659

LOL server population isn’t determined by how many accounts have joined but on how many is online, or else it wouldn’t fluctuate even if I log out and would have to choose “SOS” every single time I log in. Your conjecture is just silly. If a server caps in population at a specific moment, subsequent people who goes online goes in a queue to join their server via the overflow. Therefore, mass transfers via server blackouts is NOT an exploit. Just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean it’s bad.

No one is arguing that server population is determined by how many people joined, if you actually bothered to read the thread you would know that.

The post you quote responds to the other things you say. Please read it and comprehend it before making yourself look like a fool again.

this will only be valid if server limits were determined by the number of accounts that are registered on it. and even then, blackouts will NOT be exploits because it will NOT allow transfers to happen if the system recognizes it as full even if people log out. IF there is no server limit that serves your definition in use at the moment, I don’t care.

SoS transfers

in WvW

Gab Superstar.4059

No one is arguing that server population is determined by how many people joined, if you actually bothered to read the thread you would know that.

The post you quote responds to the other things you say. Please read it and comprehend it before posting again.

Devonas Rest 4 lyfe

SoS transfers

in WvW

Gab Superstar.4059

Wait, cool,

Will keep in mind

The ability to log out is intended. The ability to cheat the system through having hundreds of people log off at the same time is not intended.

Likewise, the ability to jump is intended, but the ability to cheat in WvW by jumping to locations you are not supposed to be in, is not intended.

Devonas Rest 4 lyfe

SoS transfers

in WvW

Xirin.8593

Wait, cool,

Will keep in mind

The ability to log out is intended. The ability to cheat the system through having hundreds of people log off at the same time is not intended.

Likewise, the ability to jump is intended, but the ability to cheat in WvW by jumping to locations you are not supposed to be in, is not intended.

As Leo mentioned, you are applying rules where none exist. One cannot break a law where none exists.

However, you are entitled to your opinion that this creates an imbalanced situation.

[AoN] All or Nothing

SoS transfers

in WvW

Gab Superstar.4059

The post you quote responds to the other things you say. Please read it and comprehend it before making yourself look like a fool again.

this will only be valid if server limits were determined by the number of accounts that are registered on it. and even then, blackouts will NOT be exploits because it will NOT allow transfers to happen if the system recognizes it as full even if people log out. IF there is no server limit that serves your definition in use at the moment, I don’t care.

I am honestly having a really hard time understanding this post and what you want to say with it. It sounds like you are still not responding to the issues I brought up with cheating the system like you do, but if you want to elaborate a bit then please go ahead.

Also, the fact that only T1 players seem to think this isn’t cheating the system is of course not surprising at all.

Devonas Rest 4 lyfe

SoS transfers

in WvW

deviller.9135

Exploit or not, only Anet can answer as the current population system allow this to happen (which I hope Anet clarify this problem (including why they choose dynamic population system to determine population of the server according the number of player which are online at a given time (as EU and NA will never merged)).

SoS transfers

in WvW

Leo Paul.1659

Nothing is getting tricked or exploited via mass log off. Should a server limit be reached, it shouldn’t be able to allow transfers to happen. How is it different when one waits for a server to be high instead of full before joining? Is that an exploit too?

SoS transfers

in WvW

EnRohbi.2187

Wait, cool,

Will keep in mind

I was only mocking people with a poor sense of reasoning C:
But you spelled out what my ACTUAL point would have been pretty nicely.

Dragonbrand

SoS transfers

in WvW

Gab Superstar.4059

Wait, cool,

Will keep in mind

As Leo mentioned, you are applying rules where none exist. One cannot break a law where none exists.

However, you are entitled to your opinion that this creates an imbalanced situation.

There is no law against salvaging jewelry either. However, people did that to obtain illegitimate goals. You are cheating the system and increasing the population on your own server past what is normally allowed, while harming the rest of the game. On the same coin, the people who salvaged Snowflake jewelry cheated the salvaging system.

Devonas Rest 4 lyfe

SoS transfers

in WvW

Leo Paul.1659

That’s a very poor analogy. You do not gain any advantage by transferring servers per se. Salvaging snowflake jewelry does.

SoS transfers

in WvW

Gab Superstar.4059

Exploit or not, only Anet can answer as the current population system allow this to happen (which I hope Anet clarify this problem (including why they choose dynamic population system to determine population of the server according the number of player which are online at a given time (as EU and NA will never merged)).

Dynamic population is lovely when people DON’T cheat the system.

It allows for server population to be spread out evenly along a 24h period, because the server population will correspond to how many people play on that server in your specific time zone.

Nothing is getting tricked or exploited via mass log off. Should a server limit be reached, it shouldn’t be able to allow transfers to happen. How is it different when one waits for a server to be high instead of full before joining? Is that an exploit too?

See what I wrote above.

Yes, in a way it is cheating the system if you transfer to a server at 6am when you know the amount of people online is much lower at that point, because you would never play at 6am yourself.

Devonas Rest 4 lyfe

SoS transfers

in WvW

Xirin.8593

There is no law against salvaging jewelry either.

Why were they suspended/banned then?

You are applying rules where none exist and oversimplifying where inappropriate.

[AoN] All or Nothing

SoS transfers

in WvW

Gab Superstar.4059

That’s a very poor analogy. You do not gain any advantage by transferring servers per se. Salvaging snowflake jewelry does.

It’s not a poor analogy. Arena Net did not ban players because they obtained a few 100 ectos for themselves, they banned players because the accumulated amount of ectos was ~275,000. I am sure you understand that this upsets the game economy terribly.

Likewise, when you cheat the system to skew server populations, you are hurting the game too.

Devonas Rest 4 lyfe

SoS transfers

in WvW

Gab Superstar.4059

You are applying rules where none exist and oversimplifying where inappropriate.

And you are ignoring the immense harm you are causing to the game just because you want a little bit more coverage for your server in WvW.

Devonas Rest 4 lyfe

SoS transfers

in WvW

EnRohbi.2187

And you are ignoring the immense harm you are causing to the game just because you want a little bit more coverage for your server in WvW.

And yet,
Salvaging items got people banned where mass transferring to lower server and completely unbalancing multiple tiers in wvw on many occasions has yielded zero casualties.

Dragonbrand

SoS transfers

in WvW

Leo Paul.1659

Dynamic population is lovely when people DON’T cheat the system.

It allows for server population to be spread out evenly along a 24h period, because the server population will correspond to how many people play on that server in your specific time zone.

See what I wrote above.

Yes, in a way it is cheating the system if you transfer to a server at 6am when you know the amount of people online is much lower at that point, because you would never play at 6am yourself.

LOL k thx bb. When you say transferring to a server by waiting until you are allowed to is cheating then lol. Really. Your presumption is beyond silly at this point.

SoS transfers

in WvW

Xirin.8593

And yet,
Salvaging items got people banned where mass transferring to lower server and completely unbalancing multiple tiers in wvw on many occasions has yielded zero casualties.

One is an exploit, punishable by account suspension or termination.

One is not.

I have not insinuated anything beyond that.

[AoN] All or Nothing

SoS transfers

in WvW

Xirin.8593

Personally, I’m not taking part in this issue in any way. I’m not logging off to create space and I’m not attempting to transfer to a full server. What I am doing it pointing out the huge flaw in your explanation and logic (as well as others who have wrongly arrived at the conclusion that this is an “exploit”).

Your analogy to the snowflake issue isn’t even a poor one necessarily, but your reasoning and application of the result is being grossly misapplied.

[AoN] All or Nothing

SoS transfers

in WvW

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Server status is, according to the wiki, based on the number of active players at one time. That the server has to allocate it’s finite resources to serving the needs of the active players first.

Thus, there is no limit to how many players can have there data associated to a world. Just the number of active users leaves no threads available to handle the transfer process.

It’s a physical/mechanical issue. Not an actual population cap.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

SoS transfers

in WvW

Gab Superstar.4059

And yet,

One is not.

Which is exactly what I said in my second post in this thread.

Devonas Rest 4 lyfe

SoS transfers

in WvW

EnRohbi.2187

And yet,

One is not.

Except it’s completely backwards which one should be the exploit and which one should not be.

Crafting snowflakes was something that you did within all the normal and intended game mechanics, organizing mass coordinated transfers to already Full servers is something that you do to get around intended game mechanics.

And yet… which one does Anet consider an exploit?

Dragonbrand

SoS transfers

in WvW

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

This is all so wrong. ANet has confirmed repeatedly (check many pages back in the developer tracker) that server populations are not determined by how many people are online, but by how many accounts are linked to a server. The only way for a server to drop from “Full” to “High” is if people from that server transfer to another server, freeing up their spot for someone else.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

SoS transfers

in WvW

EnRohbi.2187

This is all so wrong. ANet has confirmed repeatedly (check many pages back in the developer tracker) that server populations are not determined by how many people are online, but by how many accounts are linked to a server. The only way for a server to drop from “Full” to “High” is if people from that server transfer to another server, freeing up their spot for someone else.

They have many, many systems in this game that don’t work the way they intended it to work.

Dragonbrand

SoS transfers

in WvW

deviller.9135

Wait…. Huh ? Now this a new contradiction. Wiki and the fact said differently.

If the system like in developer tracker, the system will work like WoW (the server will remain full all day (or at least most of hours in the day). But in fact, is not.

SoS transfers

in WvW

Leo Paul.1659

You could consider it an exploit, yes. But far from all exploits are shunned by Arena Net, with some even being widely accepted.

Clearly, what you are saying here is that holding blackouts for transfers is an exploit. The only thing that’s clear to me is that you don’t like the reason why it is being held – for wvw. Regardless of the intention though, it is NOT an exploit.