Stealth in World vs World needs a nerf.

in WvW

Posted by: Scleameth.6809

Scleameth.6809

I guess we have to wait patiently for the culling fix to arrive then.
I’ll probably still have issues when I’m at low health in the middle of my group and get ganked by a thief…

FC – [SNKY]
Keep the Faith (and stay out of AC fire)

in WvW

Posted by: Moddo.7105

Moddo.7105

I just wish Toughness + Armor mattered. I’ve had Thieves hit me in Plague form, which gives me (4,322 Toughness / 5,181 Armor) for as much as 10k damage with a backstab. This should never happen under those circumstances. It only makes Armor worthless. I have to give up a very large amount of my damage to get this level of defense.

I have a theory this is related to %crit dmg. in that it is ignoring armor when calculating add bonus tacked on. But this will not matter because cti dmg is limited in sPvP and that is only thing Anet balances against when it comes to thieves.

in WvW

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

They already have a 3 second debuff… Culling takes effect here… I think the debuff should apply whether they cause damage or not.. This would make them choose wisely before they started using stealth…

It would only be a nerf to bad players, but yeah I agree.

in WvW

Posted by: Daendur.2357

Daendur.2357

They already have a 3 second debuff… Culling takes effect here… I think the debuff should apply whether they cause damage or not.. This would make them choose wisely before they started using stealth…

This would make stealth too easy to be countered and will force thieves into condition P/D build.

Black Thunders [BT] – Gandara

in WvW

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

It would only be a nerf to bad players, but yeah I agree.

I can accept that so long as my up time doesn’t take a hit.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

in WvW

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

You know what I am just gonna jack my thief all the way up to kittening 80. Every time ANet touches my preferred class with a buff they bug something else out even worse making stuff completely useless…

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in WvW

Posted by: LadyLad.1389

LadyLad.1389

If your having problems with a thief whilst playing a guardian, theres learn to play issues.

I smoke most Guardians on my Thief. Why do you have problems?

(edited by LadyLad.1389)

in WvW

LadyLad.1389

I just wish Toughness + Armor mattered. I’ve had Thieves hit me in Plague form, which gives me (4,322 Toughness / 5,181 Armor) for as much as 10k damage with a backstab. This should never happen under those circumstances. It only makes Armor worthless. I have to give up a very large amount of my damage to get this level of defense.

I have a theory this is related to %crit dmg. in that it is ignoring armor when calculating add bonus tacked on. But this will not matter because cti dmg is limited in sPvP and that is only thing Anet balances against when it comes to thieves.

If it is ignoring armor, it shouldn’t and it needs to be fixed.

in WvW

Posted by: kuora.5402

kuora.5402

If your having problems with a thief whilst playing a guardian, theres learn to play issues.

And most players are really, really bad.

¸ . ø ¤ º ° º ¤ ø . ¸ ¸ . ø ¤ º ° º ¤ ø . ¸
[Aia] Amoria- The guild of pleasant love
¸ . ø ¤ º ° º ¤ ø . ¸ ¸ . ø ¤ º ° º ¤ ø . ¸

in WvW

LadyLad.1389

And most players are really, really bad.

This includes Thieves. It’s just that the profession is far more forgiving than the other professions.

Even still, you should rarely if ever die. It’s comical to hear Thieves talk about dying. I’ve got a newish Thief with just over 5k kills, and roughly 23 deaths. Each time I’ve died, it was because I made some bonehead mistake.

It’s amazing though. I can jump on the Thief, and all of a sudden I’m a God at playing this game, but when I jump on my ohter toons, somehow I forget how to play. How amazing is that?

in WvW

Posted by: Sifu.6527

Sifu.6527

How many classes can outrun a thief again? There’s decent arguments on both sides, that isn’t one of them.

Ele / warrior / ranger / engi

There is no possible way a Warrior, Ranger, or Engineer is going to outrun my Thief. The Elementalist can, kind of. I can keep up with most of them trying to run.

Slot a Shortbow if you’re being caught by the slower classes.

<walks away laughing>

We’re not talking about a infinite distance. It doesn’t take long to get to a tower/spawn/keep/supply camp to be safe.

in WvW

Daendur.2357

Ladylad I think that it depends on how you play.
You can use almost every class, run with a zerg when you find some enemies jump in the middle hit them and flee away …
if your zerg wins you’ll get credit, if it loses you are far away and you won’t get killed.
I have almost 15k kills on my ranger and 12 deaths … (here some random numbers for you)

in WvW

LadyLad.1389

Ladylad I think that it depends on how you play.
You can use almost every class, run with a zerg when you find some enemies jump in the middle hit them and flee away …
if your zerg wins you’ll get credit, if it loses you are far away and you won’t get killed.
I have almost 15k kills on my ranger and 12 deaths … (here some random numbers for you)

I run solo 99% of the time. We’re not talking zerg on zerg fights here, where what you play doesn’t matter.

How many classes can outrun a thief again? There’s decent arguments on both sides, that isn’t one of them.

Ele / warrior / ranger / engi

There is no possible way a Warrior, Ranger, or Engineer is going to outrun my Thief. The Elementalist can, kind of. I can keep up with most of them trying to run.

Slot a Shortbow if you’re being caught by the slower classes.

<walks away laughing>

We’re not talking about a infinite distance. It doesn’t take long to get to a tower/spawn/keep/supply camp to be safe.

That doesn’t change anything really. Quit attacking people who’re standing in Guard agro range of a keep, or tower. I can kill most classes before they get a chance to move at all, those who do move die a few seconds later, unless they’re an Elementalist. Remember the bow teleport also applies an area blind, so quit using it only as a get away free tool.

And if you’re dying to Elementalists, don’t stop moving. The more you move, the harder it is for them to hit you. You don’t always have to be on top of them either. Switch to your Shortbow, and actually use the weapon once in awhile. If you’re a Pistol build, you have no excuses, you should never lose to an Elementalist.

(edited by LadyLad.1389)

in WvW

Daendur.2357

Ok you reported it… let’s write it down to not be offensive nor provoking.
I don’t believe what you are saying. I think you are largely exaggerating your statements trying to make your point.
You didn’t provide any evidence.
Anyone can write anything and pretend it’s real.

in WvW

LadyLad.1389

I don’t believe what you are saying. I think you are largely exaggerating your statements trying to make your point.

What good is evidence, when all you guys do is tear it apart with made up stuff, like has been done with Xsorus videos? Evidence isn’t enough, and I wasn’t being offensive, nor provoking. You just took it that way.

Seriously, those of us who started off with other classes, and are now playing the Thief realize just how much easier the class is to play, than our original classes. The Thief plays an entirely different game than does all the other classes.

I don’t know how anyone could deny this, with a straight face.

in WvW

Posted by: Xsorus.2507

Xsorus.2507

What good is evidence, when all you guys do is tear it apart with made up stuff, like has been done with Xsorus videos? Evidence isn’t enough, and I wasn’t being offensive, nor provoking. You just took it that way.

Seriously, those of us who started off with other classes, and are now playing the Thief realize just how much easier the class is to play, than our original classes. The Thief plays an entirely different game than does all the other classes.

You can’t post a video of a thief playing as proof its overpowered, because the only evidence in that video is every other player is just bad

At least that’s what I got from this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Xsorus/videos?view=0
Natures Ninja and Pain Inverter – Ranger PvP movies
http://www.twitch.tv/xsorovos

in WvW

Daendur.2357

There are players saying they never have problems with thieves… elementalists/guardians/warriors/mesmers even engi and some necros… that couldn’t be possible if thief is so OP.
Videos are only montages of best combat actions… it’s not too hard to cut off the part in which you are getting beaten as a carpet.

in WvW

Posted by: wookie.8934

wookie.8934

I thought thieves were a problem until I rolled a shatter cat mesmer. Now I watch them drop like flies in wvw. It’s quite satisfying.

Havok Legion [HL]
Fort Aspenwood

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

I would drop thief damage by alot, and give more loads of invisible options as traits and skills, any player can kill target with thief w/o effort its too dammn easy(damage wise not invisibility problem).

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in WvW

Daendur.2357

I thought thieves were a problem until I rolled a shatter cat mesmer. Now I watch them drop like flies in wvw. It’s quite satisfying.

no you can’t. Ladylad said thief is unbeatable and a thief can’t die.

lol

in WvW

Daendur.2357

I would drop thief damage by alot, and give more loads of invisible options as traits and skills, any player can kill target with thief w/o effort its too dammn easy(damage wise not invisibility problem).

thieves can do a good burst damage… anyhow less than warriors.

in WvW

Daendur.2357

ok i’m off for the week end … see you (maybe) in game…

in WvW

Posted by: Dokyo.3685

Dokyo.3685

Seriously? I’ve never been 3 shot by a warrior. Oh yea I also know they are there and can target them back which helps. Nothing like getting killed by “Unknown” that you can’t even target.

Of course I don’t get 3 shot anymore since I got a lot more tough/vit, takes at least 5 or 6 hits now to kill me. It’s kind of silly that the only thing I really consider when gearing/traiting is will I be able to have a chance against a thief with this setup, the other classes don’t even really cross my mind.

Ketseras
Crystal Desert – Tonic [Lime]

(edited by Dokyo.3685)

in WvW

Posted by: Daeqar.8965

Daeqar.8965

You can’t post a video of a thief playing as proof its overpowered, because the only evidence in that video is every other player is just bad

It’s hard to provide real, scientific evidence on a forum. Typically, it’s impossible for a player to access the type of data set they would need to do so.

Generally speaking, posting videos is just weak anecdotal evidence for most arguments. One person can post a cherry picked compilation video of stomping low skill players on a thief. Another person can create a cherry picked compilation video of them stomping low skill theives. Is there any truth at all to be gleaned here? Perhaps just that skilled players win more, but even the videos fall short of “proving” that.

There is no proof to give. All anyone can do is try to make well reasoned arguments with statements that hopefully closely mirror what readers actually experience in the game for themselves. It’s just a process of logic and honesty (or deception for some folks.)

Unfortunately, with something like this most people are too emotionally attached or biased to be moved one way or another. They just cherry pick out logical processes and statements – however flawed they may be – in order to further build up their predetermined conclusions and disregard the rest. (Which interestingly mirrors the process of making a “proof” video to post.)

in WvW

Daeqar.8965

Seriously? I’ve never been 3 shot by a warrior. Oh yea I also know they are there and can target them back which helps. Nothing like getting killed by “Unknown” that you can’t even target.

Of course I don’t get 3 shot anymore since I got a lot more tough/vit, takes at least 5 or 6 hits now to kill me. It’s kind of silly that the only thing I really consider when gearing/traiting is will I be able to have a chance against a thief with this setup, the other classes don’t even really cross my mind.

Numerically speaking, Warriors can burst for more than Thieves. Greatsword and Rifle providing some of the more common offenders. They also have substantially more overall damage capability, even outside of burst combos. Successfully delivering it in a broad variety of circumstances is another issue, though.

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Biggest single hit from a player 16k… rifle warrior from a distance. Get caught with a knockdown from a hammer warrior and watch them wind up 100 blades dealing WAY more damage than a thief can do.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

Posted by: JaironKalach.4938

JaironKalach.4938

It’s hard to provide real, scientific evidence on a forum. Typically, it’s impossible for a player to access the type of data set they would need to do so.

Generally speaking, posting videos is just weak anecdotal evidence for most arguments. One person can post a cherry picked compilation video of stomping low skill players on a thief. Another person can create a cherry picked compilation video of them stomping low skill theives. Is there any truth at all to be gleaned here? Perhaps just that skilled players win more, but even the videos fall short of “proving” that.

There is no proof to give. All anyone can do is try to make well reasoned arguments with statements that hopefully closely mirror what readers actually experience in the game for themselves. It’s just a process of logic and honesty (or deception for some folks.)

Unfortunately, with something like this most people are too emotionally attached or biased to be moved one way or another. They just cherry pick out logical processes and statements – however flawed they may be – in order to further build up their predetermined conclusions and disregard the rest. (Which interestingly mirrors the process of making a “proof” video to post.)

Near as I can tell, both sides are applying a firm stance hold and heavy skepticism of the opposition. As long as you believe that the other guy is lying and exaggerating and/or you spend your time lying and exaggerating, no interesting discussion can take place. Once you break off of that tactic, maybe both sides can learn something.

One side is saying that it is their experience that at moderate skill level, with a glass cannon build, they find it easier to remain competitive as a thief than they have as other classes at moderate skill level, with a glass cannon build. They feel that this is a result of stealth/burst.

At least that what I heard…

So… If these are malicious people with an agenda, they are just trying to make a point and will exaggerate and will lie to achieve their agenda. If all that is true, why bother talking with them?

However, if these are rational reasonable people, they have a good reason for their beliefs. It would be worth your time to try to understand the basis for their belief, if for no other reason than to be able to incorporate that data as part of your belief system.

Okay… Resume flaming. ;-)

I play on Maguuma
Uru Kalach (80-War)/Kalthin Leafletter (80-Rgr)/Kalfun Gai (72-Guardian)
Leader – An Unexpected Kinship (AUK)

in WvW

Posted by: hammer.9721

hammer.9721

here is something i got from another thread about people in wvw being bad

Most people don’t dodge, because most people in World vs World are pretty bad

Best person in that video was probably that Necro at the end.

btw i wish anet would release info of how many thieves died in tier 1 this week it would shock some people in this thread

in WvW

Xsorus.2507

btw i wish anet would release info of how many thieves died in tier 1 this week it would shock some people in this thread

Best part about that quote is its me talking about killing a Necro with a Warrior Add (who I killed)…

I stood zero chance of dying in that video…..

In fact i can tell you flat out what kills me 9/10 on my Thief..

Last Refuge, It’s the crap talent Thieves get for 5 points in their best line (Shadow Arts)

If you kill a thief, I can pretty much guarantee you they probably died because of that talent.

in WvW

Daeqar.8965

Near as I can tell, both sides are applying a firm stance hold and heavy skepticism of the opposition. As long as you believe that the other guy is lying and exaggerating and/or you spend your time lying and exaggerating, no interesting discussion can take place. Once you break off of that tactic, maybe both sides can learn something.

One side is saying that it is their experience that at moderate skill level, with a glass cannon build, they find it easier to remain competitive as a thief than they have as other classes at moderate skill level, with a glass cannon build. They feel that this is a result of stealth/burst.

At least that what I heard…

So… If these are malicious people with an agenda, they are just trying to make a point and will exaggerate and will lie to achieve their agenda. If all that is true, why bother talking with them?

However, if these are rational reasonable people, they have a good reason for their beliefs. It would be worth your time to try to understand the basis for their belief, if for no other reason than to be able to incorporate that data as part of your belief system.

A lot of times, the difference between one person’s conclusion versus another person’s has nothing to do with objective facts and is instead a product of value system.

In particular for this thread, one person might primarily value helping their server win WvW by playing as a coordinated team with their guild emphasizing large scale fighting. Another person could instead primarily value winning 1v1 against random players in WvW. Those two people could very rationally reach entirely different conclusions about class balance and for one to try to assimilate the other’s value system would not necessarily be a good thing.

in WvW

hammer.9721

Best part about that quote is its me talking about killing a Necro with a Warrior Add (who I killed)…

Last Refuge, It’s the crap talent Thieves get for 5 points in their best line (Shadow Arts)

If you kill a thief, I can pretty much guarantee you they probably died because of that talent.

you still dont understand you said one thing in one quote and the exact opposite in another.

and lol at thieves only die because of that talent and yes i do agree it is crap.like i said things are different when you go up against players of the same level but think what you want

oh and for the record i do think overall thief is the best one on one class in wvw but that is mainly because people spec gc on the other classes. once people start to learn what i did months ago they are not that hard to beat.i would much rather fight a thief on most of my 7 80’s than a mesmer who knows how to play.

in WvW

Posted by: Mayhem.1935

Mayhem.1935

Hi. First of all i want to preface this with a few facts.
1- I am a Champion Shadow in tpvp/spvp. Not a big deal but it is what it is.
2- I have lvl 80 chars of thief/mesmer/warrior/ranger
3- I prefer small man fighting in WvW, solo to under 10 players.
4- I have played MMos since UO with alot of time in DAoC as a nightshade RR8 before ToA exp.
5- My thief spec is p/d + d/p.

Now with that said i want to simply state some of my experiences with the thief in wvw.
1- I do not die. I reiterate. I DO NOT DIE. I may not “win” a fight, but there is no possible way i can die to players, even 25+ zergs. It just cannot happen. Call it culling call it whatever you want to, it never happens. Stealth and unpredictability with huge mobility is the culprit that i utilize fully.
2- Stats. I keep reading about spvp this and that on this thread like it matters. Thieves in spvp are fine yes because just like every other class they are pigeonholed to have only certain available stats with caps on crit . In wvw you can min/max your stats with ascended gear and exotics to make a stone cold killing machine. I’ve tested with a GC build and it is a JOKE how fast you can take someone out. Steal +mug c/d bs and its essentially over. Yes it isnt a “one hit” but it happens in a second flat so it might as well be.
3- Thieves are squishy and have no hps or defenses if they spec that way. This on paper is absolutely correct. However, this doesnt matter. Again, IT DOESNT MATTER. You cant die if you cant get hit. “AOE everything, L2P!” Seriously i LOL at all the AOE im 100 paces away. Shadowstep in, insta bang someone dead, shadow step back im safer than if i had 100000000 hp. All the thieves using this “crutch” of no defense are lying or not playing well.
4- People arent as bad as you think, thieves make people look bad. “they dont dodge” “they run around aimlessly” etc etc. Dodge what? Run to where? THEY CANT SEE YOU. Yes, there are some bad players. And mediocre ones, some good ones and even great ones. None of that matters. THEY CANT KILL ME. And that is a problem. I’m not a great player. I just play a thief.
5- Mobility. Yea i am currently playing p/d so yea ppl can run away from me if they are eles, or some warriors even if they have a proper weapon set. But on GC you have got to be kidding me. SB5, SS, HS movement no one escapes but them. 5 classes have no where to go if i dont want them to.
6- Stealth. Wow, just wow. In any -real- game that claims balance, ( not perfect world or some nonsense) this stealth is just OP. Health regen while stealthed, constant access to stealth IN COMBAT, remove conditions in stealth, move faster in stealth. Complete invis in stealth (no detection). Full time stealth in other games like WoW/DAoC/etc had slower movement speed, a way to detect if you where too close to other enemy players and they notice you, and removal of stealth on dmg. This is a big F up on Anet.
7-Thieves are terrible in mass fighting. This is not the case in the slightest. Keep defense/siegeing SB is like your own personal mobile siege weapon. Poison fields that do 33
less healing in a large raidus +weakness, cluster bomb that hits like a truck to multiple targets. See a downed or low life guy? Port in finish him off, port back undetected, easy peasy.
8- Thief in WvW is absolute GODMODE. Out of all my classes it was the only one i could be lvl 20 in wvw and kill actual 80s. I would get STOMPED hard on my other characters if i tried that. If you play a thief and feel you are underpowered or need buffs or we are “fine”, well…

-The Swindler-Mesmer —

in WvW

Posted by: katniss.6735

katniss.6735

1. Ele
2. Mes
3. Guard
4. Thief
5. Necro/Eng
6. Ranger
7. War

1. Thief (culling – best use of full zerkers – fast)
2. Mesmer (vast array of abilities – can also use full zerker – OP underwater)
3. Elementalist (high survivability and mobility – fastest roamer still?)
4. Guardian (highest survivability – hammer is super annoying)
5. Warrior (can also use full zerkers – kill shot is mental damage – shake it off!)
6. Engineer (can stealth and confuse people into thinking they are thieves)
7. Necro (boons into conditions – fear people off walls – huge health pool)
8. Ranger (roots – AoE walls with their amazing weapon swap ability that Eles don’t get to do)

Server: Maguuma – Leafy Lass – Elementalist (WvW)
Guild: Bill Murray [Bill]/ [DERP]
twitch.tv/mlgw2

in WvW

LadyLad.1389

you still dont understand you said one thing in one quote and the exact opposite in another.

and lol at thieves only die because of that talent and yes i do agree it is crap.like i said things are different when you go up against players of the same level but think what you want

oh and for the record i do think overall thief is the best one on one class in wvw but that is mainly because people spec gc on the other classes. once people start to learn what i did months ago they are not that hard to beat.i would much rather fight a thief on most of my 7 80’s than a mesmer who knows how to play.

Wait a minute… You said “go against the same people” as if when we switch to our Thieves, we all of a sudden start fighting new servers, and not the people we’ve been fighting previously.

Do you honestly believe that? When I go from a Ranger, Necro, or Engineer to my Thief, and zone back into the same zone and fight the same people who’ve been roaming solo for hours like I have, all of a sudden change?

The only thing I agree with is your dislike at fighting Mesmers, but for different reasons. The Mesmer requires me to be an active observer of what is going on around me, rather than grant me the ability to continue to play lazy.

I attend a lot of fight clubs, and fight the same people on my Thief, that I do on my other toons. How do I know this? I group with them, well until they fight my Thief because you can see a stealthed Thief you’re grouped with. Fights I find difficult on my other toons, against Ascended geared players, all of a sudden become easy when on my Thief.

I probably automatically become a PvP god though, once I choose to log into my Thief, but forget how to play the game, once I log into my other toons. Makes sense to me.

in WvW

Daeqar.8965

Wait a minute… You said “go against the same people” as if when we switch to our Thieves, we all of a sudden start fighting new servers, and not the people we’ve been fighting previously.

Do you honestly believe that? When I go from a Ranger, Necro, or Engineer to my Thief, and zone back into the same zone and fight the same people who’ve been roaming solo for hours like I have, all of a sudden change?

…..

The guy could use some capitalization and stuff, but I can’t figure out where you got what you think he said from what he actually said…

in WvW

LadyLad.1389

…..

The guy could use some capitalization and stuff, but I can’t figure out where you got what you think he said from what he actually said…

It appears I quoted the wrong person, after reading an earlier post. A massive mistake. My apologies.

in WvW

Posted by: Matroxion.9348

Matroxion.9348

Stealth should be good when culling gets fixxed. And most QQ cry about stealth cause 1: they suck 2: dont know how to counter it 3: dont understand mechanics of a thief.

Do these 3 points affect you? —-→ SPVP roll a thief and learn the class.

Now stop kittening crying.

in WvW

Posted by: Thesilentflute.8761

Thesilentflute.8761

He means thief stealth I am a mesmer and I get rocked all the time. It is the amost perma stealth thieves have. There have been a few times that like 8 of use could not kill one because of the perma stealth + insane mobility.

^ culling may play a big role in this but matroxion other points are dismissive.

I see good ideas every day …good in theory. – Shawn Farthing
Masters in Geek Mythology
YOU ARE NOT THE INVENTOR OF WORDS!!! lol

(edited by Thesilentflute.8761)

in WvW

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

Dunno about straight face, but I do it all the time with troll face and it’s hilarious! :P

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

in WvW

Posted by: Dralor.3701

Dralor.3701

Can’t believe people are bringing up warriors in this thread, warrior damage is about as honest as it gets.

in WvW

Daeqar.8965

4- I have played MMos since UO with alot of time in DAoC as a nightshade RR8 before ToA exp.

Now with that said i want to simply state some of my experiences with the thief in wvw.
1- I do not die. I reiterate. I DO NOT DIE. I may not “win” a fight, but there is no possible way i can die to players, even 25+ zergs. It just cannot happen. Call it culling call it whatever you want to, it never happens. Stealth and unpredictability with huge mobility is the culprit that i utilize fully.
2- Stats. I keep reading about spvp this and that on this thread like it matters. Thieves in spvp are fine yes because just like every other class they are pigeonholed to have only certain available stats with caps on crit . In wvw you can min/max your stats with ascended gear and exotics to make a stone cold killing machine. I’ve tested with a GC build and it is a JOKE how fast you can take someone out. Steal +mug c/d bs and its essentially over. Yes it isnt a “one hit” but it happens in a second flat so it might as well be.
3- Thieves are squishy and have no hps or defenses if they spec that way. This on paper is absolutely correct. However, this doesnt matter. Again, IT DOESNT MATTER. You cant die if you cant get hit. “AOE everything, L2P!” Seriously i LOL at all the AOE im 100 paces away. Shadowstep in, insta bang someone dead, shadow step back im safer than if i had 100000000 hp. All the thieves using this “crutch” of no defense are lying or not playing well.
4- People arent as bad as you think, thieves make people look bad. “they dont dodge” “they run around aimlessly” etc etc. Dodge what? Run to where? THEY CANT SEE YOU. Yes, there are some bad players. And mediocre ones, some good ones and even great ones. None of that matters. THEY CANT KILL ME. And that is a problem. I’m not a great player. I just play a thief.
5- Mobility. Yea i am currently playing p/d so yea ppl can run away from me if they are eles, or some warriors even if they have a proper weapon set. But on GC you have got to be kidding me. SB5, SS, HS movement no one escapes but them. 5 classes have no where to go if i dont want them to.
6- Stealth. Wow, just wow. In any -real- game that claims balance, ( not perfect world or some nonsense) this stealth is just OP. Health regen while stealthed, constant access to stealth IN COMBAT, remove conditions in stealth, move faster in stealth. Complete invis in stealth (no detection). Full time stealth in other games like WoW/DAoC/etc had slower movement speed, a way to detect if you where too close to other enemy players and they notice you, and removal of stealth on dmg. This is a big F up on Anet.
7-Thieves are terrible in mass fighting. This is not the case in the slightest. Keep defense/siegeing SB is like your own personal mobile siege weapon. Poison fields that do 33
less healing in a large raidus +weakness, cluster bomb that hits like a truck to multiple targets. See a downed or low life guy? Port in finish him off, port back undetected, easy peasy.
8- Thief in WvW is absolute GODMODE. Out of all my classes it was the only one i could be lvl 20 in wvw and kill actual 80s. I would get STOMPED hard on my other characters if i tried that. If you play a thief and feel you are underpowered or need buffs or we are “fine”, well…

There a lot of things in your post I can agree with, if not literally, at least with the sentiment.

Although, it’s also pretty clear through you using two single target weapon sets among other things that you say that you’re pretty much just running around looking for people to pick off and kill rather than actually playing WvW. If not that, you’re at least on a low tier server where there’s just not enough people around to play with or against in the first place.

Otherwise, there wouldn’t be crazy things like being able to survive team zerg fighting in a glass cannon build where just the carpet of aoe will kill you in a matter of seconds – and then contending being essentially invincible in glass cannon gear unless you’re bad. It’s not a matter of skill but circumstance.

You correctly mention that Shortbow is quite useful in team/zerg fighting, although it’s pretty much the only competent team synergy build a Thief has available primarily to bring on-demand blast finishers. It’s a niche function worth bringing a couple thieves for, but it’s not spectacular compared to several other classes’ team building options.

in WvW

Posted by: Matroxion.9348

Matroxion.9348

He means thief stealth I am a mesmer and I get rocked all the time. It is the amost perma stealth thieves have. There have been a few times that like 8 of use could not kill one because of the perma stealth + insane mobility.

^ culling may play a big role in this but matroxion other points are dismissive.

Maybe you couldnt kill him. But he also couldnt kill you. Cause he gets immunity. Or you were just a tad to slow with your CC when he exited stealth.

in WvW

Posted by: Griswold.2054

Griswold.2054

QFT
wonderful post
finally an honest thief player and not one of those delusional ones

in WvW

Posted by: lorndarken.3702

lorndarken.3702

Here is what they should of done with stealth in wvw , thief can go into stealth and stay in it as long as they want to but if they attack or get attacked they are popped out of stealth and once they are in combat they can’t reenter stealth until they are out of combat .

in WvW

hammer.9721

I have seen multiple people now claim its impossible for them to die in wvw in this thread and i cant stop laughing.Why dont you prove it by typing /deaths in game and posting the pic in this thread.A thief might be able to escape deaths other classes cant but to say you never die couldnt be further from the truth.

(edited by hammer.9721)

in WvW

Posted by: Drawing Guy.3701

Drawing Guy.3701

I find all of these people that defend the stealth in this game to be amusing. Not one solid post of the counter to stealth… just a bunch of drivel that equates to “l2p”

Let’s examine the counters to stealth:

1) Swing melee (most ranged weapons don’t have combos) wildly in front of yourself. If part 2 triggers, continue to spam auto attack. All you need is the thief to nicely stand in your auto attack like mobs do in PvE, and you win!

2) Spam AOEs: Assuming the thief is color blind, he will not see the red ring and will continue to stand there until he dies admidst the fire. If you’re a necro with instant wells, hope the thief isn’t traited to drop all your conditions in seconds anyways. And even if all of that is not the case, this is still the obvious counter – generically attacking in an area less than that of a single dodge and guess against a plane a thief can reach in 2 seconds that you can cover less than 5% of is pretty much guaranteed success.

3) Play with pets – once the thief is visible again, it will tell you where he is. Yay! Oh wait… he’s back stabbing you or 2500+ units away?

4) Play as a mesmer – your clones seem to have an extra half second of targeting to shatter with. This very well may be what is needed to down a glass cannon thief. As long as the thief stealths when you’re on top of him instead of porting/dodging out of your shatter before stealthing, you have a solid chance! Assuming that ~50% of thieves make this mistake and never learn, this has to be considered a “counter”.

TL;DR – You get an uncounterable defense (as everything I listed are not counters – just crap that would only kill a thief that needs to L2P) that is brokenly compounded in WvW. You get a state with massive bonuses – fastest movement in the game, huge condition removal access, healing – all spammable. There is ZERO downsides to stealth. To build a thief without constant access to stealth is to comparatively kitten yourself – if you were to lose stealth completely, you lose GODMODE for a class that can only have measly access to the highest amount of dodges/evasion in the game on top of paltry spammable blinds, interrupts, and high DPS moves. It would suck to have to work to continue being one of the top WvW/PvP classes in the game. It amuses me to be told my non-stealth build sucks because people can actually see me and dodge my moves when I can dodge/blind every else’s moves much better.

Now for the constructive part of my post. I think the following changes need to be made to stealth and it’s traits:

- Add a slight transparency. Don’t care if it’s a struggle for eagles to see, but it has the character drawn so that fixes culling. Plus it gives a counter to those playing close attention… stealth gives plenty of advantages that it does not need ‘impossible to see/counter’ on top of its list.

- Change “Shadow’s Embrace” to only cure a condition AFTER 3 seconds. To take advantage of this powerful move, you actually need to stay stealthed.

- Change “Infusion of Shadow” to not trigger with Cloak and Dagger. Steal + HiS + powder + refuge already gives plenty of tools to make this a very useful trait. As it is, it’s a CnD spam win button.

- Swap “Fleet Shadow” and “Power Shots” between their trees and tiers. Fleet shadow should be a master trait as it is powerful. It should also rightly belong in the Shadow tree forcing a choice on the powers of stealth rather than making stealth so omni-powerful.

I’m curious as to whom will think such changes will break thieves. My thief is my favorite of all my 80s so far, and will become my main. It will still be my main no matter what they do to stealth.

(edited by Drawing Guy.3701)

in WvW

Xsorus.2507

I said most people are bad in World vs World

I didn’t say everyone was bad in World vs World.

I’m kind of confused how i have to explain that…

It one post i’m talking about how it doesn’t matter what you post for a video, Those people will be considered bad automatically, In the other post i’m talking about how Most people are bad in world vs world, and then point out the Necro was actually good in the video i released.

So yea..

in WvW

Xsorus.2507

This, ….He played DAOC..He knows what its like to go from stealth in that game, to stealth in this game.

in WvW

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

QFT
wonderful post
finally an honest thief player and not one of those delusional ones

Ironic how you quoted bullkitten for truth.

Dude seriously? yeah that thief is on it.. He knows how easy they have it… I will say though that because of threads like this there are a lot of people that make thieves to get them to 80 (however they can) come to WvW and just suck…You can tell bad thieves that have no clue how the class mechanics work to okay thieves that will prolly get the cheap shots off… From the really bad thieves that are 1hkos. There are few classes that can deal with thieves easily… Some bunker guardians, d/d ele’s and a couple Mesmer specs… Every other class is essentially shafted no matter what spec they run… This is not balance. And honestly I would rather see WvW as an eSport before sPvP cuz sPvP is a flat joke.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in WvW

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

I find all of these people that defend the stealth in this game to be amusing. Not one solid post of the counter to stealth… just a bunch of drivel that equates to “l2p”

Let’s examine the counters to stealth:

1) Swing melee (most ranged weapons don’t have combos) wildly in front of yourself. If part 2 triggers, continue to spam auto attack. All you need is the thief to nicely stand in your auto attack like mobs do in PvE, and you win!

2) Spam AOEs: Assuming the thief is color blind, he will not see the red ring and will continue to stand there until he dies admidst the fire. If you’re a necro with instant wells, hope the thief isn’t traited to drop all your conditions in seconds anyways. And even if all of that is not the case, this is still the obvious counter – generically attacking in an area less than that of a single dodge and guess against a plane a thief can reach in 2 seconds that you can cover less than 5% of is pretty much guaranteed success.

3) Play with pets – once the thief is visible again, it will tell you where he is. Yay! Oh wait… he’s back stabbing you or 2500+ units away?

4) Play as a mesmer – your clones seem to have an extra half second of targeting to shatter with. This very well may be what is needed to down a glass cannon thief. As long as the thief stealths when you’re on top of him instead of porting/dodging out of your shatter before stealthing, you have a solid chance! Assuming that ~50% of thieves make this mistake and never learn, this has to be considered a “counter”.

TL;DR – You get an uncounterable defense (as everything I listed are not counters – just crap that would only kill a thief that needs to L2P) that is brokenly compounded in WvW. You get a state with massive bonuses – fastest movement in the game, huge condition removal access, healing – all spammable. There is ZERO downsides to stealth. To build a thief without constant access to stealth is to comparatively kitten yourself – if you were to lose stealth completely, you lose GODMODE for a class that can only have measly access to the highest amount of dodges/evasion in the game on top of paltry spammable blinds, interrupts, and high DPS moves. It would suck to have to work to continue being one of the top WvW/PvP classes in the game. It amuses me to be told my non-stealth build sucks because people can actually see me and dodge my moves when I can dodge/blind every else’s moves much better.

Now for the constructive part of my post. I think the following changes need to be made to stealth and it’s traits:

- Add a slight transparency. Don’t care if it’s a struggle for eagles to see, but it has the character drawn so that fixes culling. Plus it gives a counter to those playing close attention… stealth gives plenty of advantages that it does not need ‘impossible to see/counter’ on top of its list.

- Change “Shadow’s Embrace” to only cure a condition AFTER 3 seconds. To take advantage of this powerful move, you actually need to stay stealthed.

- Change “Infusion of Shadow” to not trigger with Cloak and Dagger. Steal + HiS + powder + refuge already gives plenty of tools to make this a very useful trait. As it is, it’s a CnD spam win button.

- Swap “Fleet Shadow” and “Power Shots” between their trees and tiers. Fleet shadow should be a master trait as it is powerful. It should also rightly belong in the Shadow tree forcing a choice on the powers of stealth rather than making stealth so omni-powerful.

I’m curious as to whom will think such changes will break thieves. My thief is my favorite of all my 80s so far, and will become my main. It will still be my main no matter what they do to stealth.

Better solution. (Or at least what a bunch of us settled on on the Thief boards) But first, culling’s already being removed this month.
Now for the ideas.
-Make Revealed occur no matter what. This will make it so Thieves can’t perform the chained stealth they gain from well timed CnD or HS through Black Powder but still allow stealth builds to maintain their combat up time and keep thieves from being punished for not going burst. I think it should also polarize thieves in the way they play. They’ll either run earlier because their defense is weaker, or become more aggressive and less likely to run. On both ends their escape options are weakened so they have to make a choice.
-adjust Heart seeker. Spamming it may be noobish but it’s still a cheap and effective leap, that is way better then it should be.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter