The Best WvW Experience I've Ever Had

in WvW

Posted by: Entaurrus Silver.3820

Entaurrus Silver.3820

I’ll admit, I used to hate WvW because I felt stuck in a world full of strangers who wanted to kill me at all costs. And for the most part, that’s true.

One day when I was exploring an enemy borderlands by myself, I came across a boss skill challenge that an enemy player was already attacking. I had made it exceptionally far from my garrison and I didn’t want to die right there when there was so much more to explore. So I tentatively walked up and started killing the boss, too. When the boss died, I had done no damage to the enemy player, and he had done no damage to me. We just stood there.

And then, we started to dance.

While both of us ran off in opposite directions probably saying “Oh God, that guy almost killed me,” it was the best moment I’ve ever had in WvW. I think a lot of times people are so worried about killing each other that we end up ruining someone’s day or making someone ragequit just to get a measly amount of experience or coin.

When I play WvW, here’s how I play it:
- If I am alone and I pass another lone player, I walk right on by. I never instigate, and if they start attacking, I just keep running.
- If I am alone and I pass a small group (2-5), I keep trying to run by, hoping for the best. It’s more likely they’ll kill me. But I wish they didn’t: what could I possibly do to threaten them or any of their team settlements?
- If I am alone and I pass a zerg train: take me, PLEASE. The kill was well deserved.

As such, when I overpower someone, or I am in a group passing a lone player, I will stand back or tell my group to stand back out of respect for someone who’s probably just joined the game and is just looking for some action. Let’s face it: how much experience or WvW points could you possibly hope to get from someone traveling alone?

I want to make WvW an enjoyable place for everyone. A place that’s challenging but exciting, not tedious and impossible (because that’s not fun). This is how I see it: I would rather fight someone who is a part of a zerg train and experience the challenge than fight a lone player for the cheap kill and reward.

I have been playing WvW for a while now: I’ve experienced ups and downs, good times and bad times. WvW CAN be fun. I’ve figured out how to work the system a lot of times, and I’m familiar with good strategies. But I find a lot of times that there’s just a general lack of…recognition. In WvW, we fight other people, not bots or NPCs. Those other people are trying to accomplish things, too. Wouldn’t you hate it if every time you tried to get to a vista, a group camping there kept killing you? Annoying, right?

WvW is about siege and the big battles, not cheap kills. I’m not saying everyone does this, but I’m saying that WvW requires a bit of an..honor code, if you will, to remain enjoyable.

TL;DR – Met enemy player, we danced, respect yo enemy.

in WvW

Posted by: Ascii.9726

Ascii.9726

I read the TL;DR version.

Rank 580+ Necromancer WvW Stream
Commander Ascii :: Tempest Wolves [TW] :: Sanctum of Rall :: Best Necromancer NA

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Last time something similar happened we decided to kill them all and dance over their corpses instead.

in WvW

Posted by: Zaqq.8724

Zaqq.8724

I agree that a lot of the roamers are new and it kind of sucks to be them lol, but, a lot of people roam hoping to find a decent 1v1 with an enemy. A lot of roamers even hope to find a small group for a challenge. Obviously killing a new guy just coming into WvW isn’t a challenge and breaks the honor code or whatever you were saying, but, most roamers purposely walk around looking for 1v1’s. In your case with that boss, the other guy just wanted to kill the thing and leave, and attacking him would have been “mean”, but, from my experience, most roamers don’t go off killing bosses, most just float around enemy camps and stuff waiting for people to kill. I think your experience is pretty rare to be honest.

in WvW

Posted by: SaruTen.9531

SaruTen.9531

I lived too awesome thing in WvW

First, I walk a lot in borderlands, i kill dolyaks and take camps, i do a lot of 1v1-1v2-1v3. If i see a player, I jump to show him I want do a 1vs1 and if he come near me, i attack him, if not i leave him alone.

Once, i did a 1v1 versus a thief, he killed me after long fight, but leave me heal me when down, after we /bow and we walk away. It was a Piken one

[NA] Augury Rock
War crusher, Guardian savior, Elementalist jumper
Asura Engineer will control the world

in WvW

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

sir, you are a carebear.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in WvW

Posted by: Ketharius.9018

Ketharius.9018

You just let a scout get by to give the enemy team information regarding your group’s location so they can get comfortable on the terrain/location they choose to fight you and gain a big advantage.

Tarnished Coast
[FUNK] Squad

in WvW

Posted by: Musty.3148

Musty.3148

I would have killed him then done the skill point.

80 Elementalist/80 Mesmer/80 Guardian/80 Thief
Now Musty Britches since someone decided Shortbus Rider was offensive… [LoS] [NSP]

in WvW

Posted by: TallDan.6350

TallDan.6350

I have recently started solo roaming and I do it for the challenge. If I’m in your BL it’s because I’m trying to solo camps and disrupt your defenders. I fake attack keeps and towers to make it hard for your defenders to know where our forces are. I take sentries and I look for solo players and small groups to fight to try and better my skills. I’m not there trying to find a group, I’m there trying to contribute to my team. If you see me alone in my BL usually it’s because I’m scouting trying to find your forces so I can tell my team where they are or looking for people who are disrupting my team. I usually engage anyone I find even if they are likely to kill me because I like the fights and don’t mind dying.

I have never come across anyone fighting a boss mob but if I did I would probably just leave them to it. I did fight the giant worm In EB once and a small group of enemy thieves were using it as an opportunity to get a few cheap kills on the upleaveld and squishy players, while they were distracted and it was pretty annoying breaking off from our fun to have to deal with them.

Lady suzi ~ Human Guardian {} Gizmo Gregory ~ Asura Engineer
Firezof Arrows ~ Sylvari Ranger {} Hudeeni ~ Norn Mesmer
Ruins of Surmia [KoA]

in WvW

Posted by: PetricaKerempuh.7958

PetricaKerempuh.7958

u ever heard of scouts?

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

That’s why I love WvW. It has something for everyone. Good story.

in WvW

Posted by: Darek.1836

Darek.1836

While I also have let people do or even helped enemies with skill points, I can’t see how you just let enemies go by. The only reason I would let a 1v1 slip by is if it was a bunker that I had run into earlier or if I was on a set course trying to get somewhere ASAP.

Holy
Sharks With Lazers [PEW]

in WvW

Posted by: slingblade.1437

slingblade.1437

Saving Private Ryan anyone? Hello, Upham? Hello?

;-)

in WvW

Posted by: Syn.3459

Syn.3459

never read it all but from what i gathered, you play wvw to role play rather than kill players?

in WvW

Posted by: Blankverse.4927

Blankverse.4927

Once, i did a 1v1 versus a thief, he killed me after long fight, but leave me heal me when down, after we /bow and we walk away. It was a Piken one

That. Something similar happened to me. I (Blacktide) pvp’ed a Ruins of Surmia Guardian on my ranger. After a long fight i won. A minute later he came back for revange and we started to fight again. When i was down he let me get back on my feet and when he was down i did the same. After 10 min we both did a respectful salute and went each in his direction. I’m deeply convinced situations like that say a lot about our nature irl

On Topic: I think some kind of code is important for both, roamers and zergs.
When i roam across the borderlands i do it because i want to kill, so i turn off any morality …
… however:
1) when i see a player who’s trying desperately to avoid a pvp, a player who runs away or simply stands and waves to me, i don’t attack him.
2) When i really enjoyed a 1vs1 i don’t kill that player. Just /bow or /salute when he is downed
3) When i see a player from enemy realm X being attacked by more players from enemy realm Y i try to help that player. It’s a pity, in most cases it ends fatal for both of us

in WvW

Posted by: SnidgetAsphodel.7961

SnidgetAsphodel.7961

I respect you, OP. I do the same : ) Perhaps I’m up against enemies, but I still retain empathy.

Cyro Renze – 80 Human Ranger
So Unprofessional [SUP] – Crystal Desert
“Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries.”

in WvW

Posted by: Calvin.5380

Calvin.5380

Thanks for the story, OP.

If you go to the EB jumping puzzles, you’ll find a lot of enemy folks waving at you, while they try to finish the puzzle. 9 out of 10 times, they let you do your stuff when you wave back. 1 in 10 times, I come across a blood-thirsty group that just wants to kill. That is okay too, to each his own

Dragonbrand

in WvW

Posted by: Loco.4561

Loco.4561

If your red your dead, it’s PvP irrespective of whatever spin you try and put on it, if your doing PvE in the WvW area, I’m going to kill you. I won’t wave at you and let you carebear it up, I’ll kill you then sit on your head.

Mashup Bootleg ~ WvW Mesmer
Cyrus Glitch – sPvP/tPvP Mesmer
Doctor Loki – sPvP/tPvP/WvW Power Necro

in WvW

Posted by: Dark Omens.5768

Dark Omens.5768

I would have killed him then done the skill point.

Then dance on him if he stayed to watch.

in WvW

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

If you’re out in the open in WvW I’m going to try to kill you because I’m not going to waste the time trying to figure out your intent. You could only be trying to get a skill point or vista, but more likely you’re running supply or headed to a yak and simply picking up the skill point or vista along the way.

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

in WvW

Posted by: Haltair.3062

Haltair.3062

I lived too awesome thing in WvW

It also happened to me once with a mesmer, exactly the same.
Honourable…

Best regards,

Haltair, one of the Twelve Shadows

Haltair, One of the Twelve Shadows
Baruch Bay´s Thieves Brotherhood, Order of Shadows
Orden de Sombras [OdS]

in WvW

Posted by: Azaruil.3406

Azaruil.3406

Wait, let me see if I got this right.

Your best WvW experience was when you decided to pve in a pvp zone at which point you found someone else who also wanted to pve from the enemy team. Both of you were too afraid to pvp in an even 1v1 fight so you decided to pve together and then run away from each other.

That’s just… oh hey, there is this awesome WvW map that you might enjoy. It’s called Queensdale. You should go there and stay there.

Aza
“I smell like pomegranate.”

in WvW

Posted by: Gildo.2643

Gildo.2643

Next time you want to join wvw and you have to wait because its full…just think of all the pve players like this guy in there wasting a slot.

in WvW

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

It’s because you OP are a good person! Don’t listen to those miserable folks who love suffering because it’s good to be good! Yes, many of us actually FEEL BETTER by building a community than slaughtering another for no real reason. I have done the same.

I laugh at the attempt to use “Carebear” as a slur. Yes, I’ll take that widely embraced Multi-Billion dollar franchise as a compliment, TY ! :-) lmao

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in WvW

Dark Omens.5768

It’s because you OP are a good person! Don’t listen to those miserable folks who love suffering because it’s good to be good! Yes, many of us actually FEEL BETTER by building a community than slaughtering another for no real reason. I have done the same.

I laugh at the attempt to use “Carebear” as a slur. Yes, I’ll take that widely embraced Multi-Billion dollar franchise as a compliment, TY ! :-) lmao

Idk what to even say…..

in WvW

Dark Omens.5768

Well what to say without an infraction.

in WvW

Posted by: dunnberry.2964

dunnberry.2964

Lol they aren’t saying suffering is good we go to WvW to kill things and other players are things so yes they will die…too much PVE in WvW as is don’t need anymore

Borlis Pass
Asuran Engineer (Lost)

in WvW

DeWolfe.2174

WvW isn’t about killing, it’s about territory. It’s about obtaining, building, and defending territory. If you are going to WvW expressly to kill things, then you might be missing the spirit of WvW. Try sPvP as I think you’ll like it more.

….Oh wait, does thinking about what another may enjoy more make me Carebear too??? Oop’s! ;-) haha

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in WvW

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

If you can’t figure out why (in almost all cases) you should kill an enemy in WvW you don’t clearly don’t understand WvW. I’ll bet the huge majority of your server mates don’t think you are building any kind of better community with them by being a “good person” pacifist.

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

in WvW

DeWolfe.2174

With over 1k hours in T1 WvW, I think I know exactly how much killing is required to win the PPT. And as the OP demonstrated, it’s not always required to win or have fun! :-)

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in WvW

Posted by: Bunzy.8674

Bunzy.8674

You are exactly the type of person i love to kill in wvw

Bunzy – I’m a mother father gentleman
Maguuma
WvW Roaming Videos

in WvW

DeWolfe.2174

Hey, if the kitten helps you be a better person in RL, then that’s Awesome!
Enjoy trying….. :-)

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in WvW

Posted by: Spider Bro Jenkins.2780

Spider Bro Jenkins.2780

Nice WvW players of gw2, unite! We should make a game wide pact to break WvW by being excessively nice to each other.

But seriously, good for you OP! I always cherish the moments in WvW where invaders are being nice to each other. I generally don’t attack unless provoked in the JPs (anywhere else, I won’t hesitate), but I also don’t rage if invaders choose to kill me. What does bother me is when I’m being nice to a few solo invaders and they all gang up on me at the end! I mean geez, I’m a naked staff ele. I will die in almost all 1v1!

And now some moments of peace between invaders!

Attachments:

in WvW

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

That was actually a really cool story!

My personal rules for when I’m solo roaming: kill anyone who attacks me, don’t kill anyone running by. Duel anyone asking for one (bowing or jumping) but leave them downed afterward. Take camps and kill anyone who tries to gank me in the back while I’m doing it.

I figure if they don’t want to duel I won’t make them. If they’re out looking for easy kills I feel no remorse killing them. I’m also competitive so I want to play well for my server, but killing RPers doesn’t seem like it needs to be priority 1.

in WvW

DeWolfe.2174

“WvW players of gw2, unite!” <—- I like that! :-) I actually have an idea to do just that. Not long term but, as our own special event for an 8 hr period before reset. Still working out the details.

Before any roamers start the whinefest, it’s only 5% of the week being used for the event. And, especially when Dueling and GvG are already a part of the plan.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in WvW

Posted by: Peetee.9406

Peetee.9406

Well what to say without an infraction.

I hear Tarnished Coast is looking for more plushies and furry costume wearers, the ability to speak like a dolyak is required.

Kayku
[CDS] Caedas
Sanctum of Rall

in WvW

Spider Bro Jenkins.2780

“WvW players of gw2, unite!” <—- I like that! :-) I actually have an idea to do just that. Not long term but, as our own special event for an 8 hr period before reset. Still working out the details.

Before any roamers start the whinefest, it’s only 5% of the week being used for the event. And, especially when Dueling and GvG are already a part of the plan.

Your idea is awesome and I love you. I sorta wished that right before server reset, everyone would be peaceful. Then during that time where points stop counting, everyone go crazy and kill each other . . . or stay peaceful, it’s fun either way.

What server are you on? I’m Sea of Sorrows. If we’re on different servers and fighting each other, I would be happy to partake in such events. You can even kill me afterward, I don’t care lol.

I actually have the most fun right before reset when my server is losing. Since nothing I do makes a difference, I throw away all sense of self-preservation and fight armorless. One time, I got a few players to be armorless with me while we took our keep back. Also, I like roaming without weapons or armor and see how many invaders will attack me at once (the record is about 15). And before anyone judges, these activities make up a very small fraction of my WvW play.

in WvW

Posted by: SafiMoyo.5130

SafiMoyo.5130

OP has the right idea. We’ve been fighting each other at the expense of thousands and thousands of lives. The end of all this fighting is nowhere in sight. For months we’ve lost our brothers, sisters, neighbors and friends to this endless war—clearly it is not working, for when we DO conquer or become defeated by the enemy, a new one takes their place. And frankly, with all the towers and keeps, there is still not enough bed space. We have no children because it is far too much of a liability to bring more innocents into this world, and our supply is never so high that we could feed their hungry mouths.

This endless war isn’t working. It’s about time we negotiate with our enemies and draft some treaties. If we humans can come to terms and befriend the Charr, or put up with the Asura with their relentless arrogance, coming to an agreement with our enemy shouldn’t be difficult.

Let’s ban together, Brothers, for the good of Tyria!

Champion Hunter

(edited by SafiMoyo.5130)

in WvW

Spider Bro Jenkins.2780

OP has the right idea. We’ve been fighting each other at the expense of thousands and thousands of lives. The end of all this fighting is nowhere in sight. For months we’ve lost our brothers, sisters, neighbors and friends to this endless war—clearly it is not working, for when we DO conquer or become defeated by the enemy, a new one takes their place. And frankly, with all the towers and keeps, there is still not enough bed space. We have no children because it is far too much of a liability to bring more innocents into this world, and our supply is never so high that we could feed their hungry mouths.

This endless war isn’t working. It’s about time we negotiate with our enemies and draft some treaties. If we humans can come to terms and befriend the Charr, or put up with the Asura with their relentless arrogance, coming to an agreement with our enemy shouldn’t be difficult.

Let’s ban together, Brothers, for the good of Tyria!

Upvoted!

in WvW

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

You know, I’m actually amused by this situation. Although, just as in the “real” world, pacifism can (and in many cases will) get you snuffed. Past that, it’s a free game (once you’ve bought the main bit), do what you like. I’ll still deal with capping objectives for the good of all Fergs.

(Also, let’s be honest. A similar setup happens when warring servers declare Area “X” a Duel Site.)

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

(edited by Advent.6193)

in WvW

Posted by: Frenk.5917

Frenk.5917

I probably am that thief Where was the duel? What was the thief using?

P.S.
Don’t mind my sig, I’m on Piken for few days.

Frenk – EU
All is vain

in WvW

Entaurrus Silver.3820

WvW isn’t about killing, it’s about territory. It’s about obtaining, building, and defending territory. If you are going to WvW expressly to kill things, then you might be missing the spirit of WvW. Try sPvP as I think you’ll like it more.

….Oh wait, does thinking about what another may enjoy more make me Carebear too??? Oop’s! ;-) haha

You, sir, have it right.

I wouldn’t necessarily agree with those who are bloodthirsty enough to kill anything in their sight. Yes, that IS indeed a method to go about winning WvW, but it isn’t the ONLY effective method. WvW is about territory, not slaughter.

That being said, under its strict definition, I would not call myself a “carebear.” If I find myself with a group and/or against a group, I will fight to the death no matter if we cross paths or if we’re in front of a tower. I still fight in WvW, and I enjoy the mass-scale aspects of WvW.

Just a clarifier, I wrote this article when my main goal was to finish World Map Completion. I have since completed exploration of the World Map, and so since then I have focused less on wandering and obtaining map points while passing other players and more on running with teams to gain territory.

If I wanted 1v1, I would go to true sPvP, not WvW. Well put, DeWolfe.

in WvW

Posted by: Shademehr.1397

Shademehr.1397

So my nice experience came at the hands of a player from Ferguson’s Crossing. I was playing an underleveled character (leveling in WvW) and was on the losing side of a couple of random mobs. I had managed to get them all down except for one and it downed me. As I sat there using my downed skills on the last monster, and knowing I was going to die before I killed it, a random FC ran up and killed the monster which caused me to rally.

He then ran off into the sunset never to be seen again.

Sadly, I don’t recall having tried to thank him or anything. Maybe I /waved. I can’t remember. At any rate, THANK YOU FERGUSON CROSSING GUY! You made my day with that act of kindness.

in WvW

Posted by: slingblade.1437

slingblade.1437

Please accept my apologies if I kill you, but I probably will if you are anywhere near a place where you can potentially do any harm to my server’s efforts. I wish I could trust that a wave meant there was no chance of a red player doing harm, but the fact is there are people who will join your server or even your voice comms to undermine you, so it’s hard to trust anyone you encounter randomly. I have no doubt there are some players who only act like they mean no harm, when really they do, which is unfortunate for the rest of you.

in WvW

Posted by: Caedus.6571

Caedus.6571

I see you are a proud member of your server’s elite WvW PvD Division.

Tarnished Coast WvW

in WvW

Entaurrus Silver.3820

That was actually a really cool story!

My personal rules for when I’m solo roaming: kill anyone who attacks me, don’t kill anyone running by. Duel anyone asking for one (bowing or jumping) but leave them downed afterward. Take camps and kill anyone who tries to gank me in the back while I’m doing it.

I figure if they don’t want to duel I won’t make them. If they’re out looking for easy kills I feel no remorse killing them. I’m also competitive so I want to play well for my server, but killing RPers doesn’t seem like it needs to be priority 1.

I have to say that now that map exploring isn’t a priority anymore, this is exactly how I play WvW. Territory and server gains are #1. I agree with all you points on meeting other players when roaming.

BUT WHAT IF THEY’RE CARRYING SUPPLIES!?!?!?! Big woop, 10 supplies doesn’t build a ram (a hypothetical point, yes, but one player carrying supplies isn’t a game-changer). I’d rather not waste time with trying to battle an enemy player (and risk dying) when possibly trying to make my way to my own server’s zerg train or to help defend an area from a large enemy group.

And if they’re scouting? Meh, yeah this is true, but think of it this way: if a scout spots a train at a certain tower, they can notify a server commander who can try to catch up with said zerg train. A couple possibilities could play out: 1.) The train can stay in one place, and when the enemy commander comes, slaughter ensues, 2.) The two groups run at roughly the same pace and it takes a bit for the enemy commander to get to the zerg train, or 3.) the scout tries to keep up with the moving train, gets spotted, and slaughter ensues. With the first case, no zerg train is stupid enough to stay in one spot. With the second case, sure we might be trying to take over territory when the enemy commander finally makes it to the train, but don’t we have scouts, too? Shouldn’t we see that commander advancing and be able to adjust movements accordingly? And case three seems the most fun and most likely. So, back to my original point, what if who you pass is an enemy scout? What happens when it’s just a 1v1 situation? Doesn’t seem to make a difference whether you kill him or not. The only way an enemy scout can make a game-changing difference is if your own commanders and server players are completely incompetent, which rarely happens.

TL;DR: addressing those people who claim that being a “care bear” and passing up enemy players instead of taking them on 1v1 for sake of letting a scout or supply-carrier by, those players are not game-changers! Little can be done by one person in WvW!

If you need to pass enemy players in order to join up with a group or a zerg, you maximize your chances at gaining territory and ultimately winning WvW. Just sayin’.

(edited by Entaurrus Silver.3820)

in WvW

Spider Bro Jenkins.2780

Please accept my apologies if I kill you, but I probably will if you are anywhere near a place where you can potentially do any harm to my server’s efforts. I wish I could trust that a wave meant there was no chance of a red player doing harm, but the fact is there are people who will join your server or even your voice comms to undermine you, so it’s hard to trust anyone you encounter randomly. I have no doubt there are some players who only act like they mean no harm, when really they do, which is unfortunate for the rest of you.

I can’t speak for the other carebears (carebear for life! wut wut!), but I wouldn’t take offense to you killing me if our servers are pitted against each other. There is nothing dishonorable about helping your server win. I have nothing but the uttermost respect for invaders that defeat me. It does bother me when invaders try to desecrate my corpse (camping is okay) or a bunch of them pass me in a JP and wait until the end to kill me. Even then, “meh, just a game.” I can always take my rage out in a zerg or a dungeon or something else. =)

in WvW

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

I see you are a proud member of your server’s elite WvW PvD Division.

how the kitten does ppt whoring = pvd?

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions