We don't want PVE in WvW.

in WvW

Posted by: ChapDev.7650

ChapDev.7650

Hang on I’m a bit late on the up take but where did it say we are getting more PvE and Dragons?

I don’t know how to feel about that it really depends on how it’s implemented if it is of Strategic importance then okay if it’s just another random thing that people come from PvE to fight like Jormag and take up slots when they are needed I think i’ll give up.

Bad Looking Necro Tryhard [BLNT] ~ Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

PvE is fine as long as it fits into the larger PvP picture. For instance LoL and Dota 2 are PvP games but the lane and jungle creeps add a layer of strategic depth to the game. I agree that things like the giant grub and the centaur/skritt areas should be removed since they don’t add to the PvP. But things like quaggans, dredge and ogres are fine (in fact adding more of them as well as more NPC upgrades for towers and keeps could be the answer to inaction during off-peak times and night capping).

I agree that PvE is fine when it actually benefits the big picture, but the quaggans, dredge, and ogres are worthless. I can solo their “help”, same for the look outs along the roads! They need more NPC’s be along the lines of vanilla WoW Alterac Valley 1.0. Ivus was a battle changer if you could get him up and fed. The same for reavers and wolf riders. Using them at the right time meant taking the next spawn point, but using them at the wrong time was just letting that work go to waste.

I’ll farm mobs for drops to spawn some ultra powerful NPC’s to aid in the fight. I’d also like to fight those same NPC’s.

Harpies could assault towers/garrisons by flying over the walls.

Skritt should steal supply from towers/garrisons

Sentry NPC’s should actually ping the map and show enemy dots.

quaggans could actually bring a lot more than 3 NPC’s and a veteran to assualt a garrison/tower.

Ogres could use their siege equipment to siege a tower/garrison.

Again assuming that all of the above are powerful enough to actually impact the enemies instead of be minor nuisances.

Other improvements- a wall on borderlands that prevents enemies from just storming up the map like it’s their territory. As it stands the servers borderlands are at a disadvantage when it should be their major advantage. Actually the only way enemies should get into your borderland is through a portal in EB after they take your garrison, but that’s a whole other post :P.

I agree, especially that Borderlands should only be accessible by unlocking a portal from their keep in EB. All mercenary and monster camps should be tougher, even Sentries should require at least 2 fully geared people to take down or 5 down-levelled. I really would love to see Skritt thieves stealing supply and Centaurs actually defeating and capturing supply camps. Every one of the NpC factions should have some relevance that means if ignored can become a thorn in your side and an advantage to the enemy that bribes or coerces them to action.

in WvW

Posted by: Czar Peter.7961

Czar Peter.7961

I agree that PvE is fine when it actually benefits the big picture, but the quaggans, dredge, and ogres are worthless. I can solo their “help”, same for the look outs along the roads! They need more NPC’s be along the lines of vanilla WoW Alterac Valley 1.0. Ivus was a battle changer if you could get him up and fed. The same for reavers and wolf riders. Using them at the right time meant taking the next spawn point, but using them at the wrong time was just letting that work go to waste.

I’ll farm mobs for drops to spawn some ultra powerful NPC’s to aid in the fight. I’d also like to fight those same NPC’s.

Harpies could assault towers/garrisons by flying over the walls.

Skritt should steal supply from towers/garrisons

Sentry NPC’s should actually ping the map and show enemy dots.

quaggans could actually bring a lot more than 3 NPC’s and a veteran to assualt a garrison/tower.

Ogres could use their siege equipment to siege a tower/garrison.

Again assuming that all of the above are powerful enough to actually impact the enemies instead of be minor nuisances.

Other improvements- a wall on borderlands that prevents enemies from just storming up the map like it’s their territory. As it stands the servers borderlands are at a disadvantage when it should be their major advantage. Actually the only way enemies should get into your borderland is through a portal in EB after they take your garrison, but that’s a whole other post :P.

Good suggestions. By having accruable PvE advantages on the battlefield, servers can be “punished” for turtling inside keeps and refusing to fight the enemy on the open field. This way heavily defended structures can actually be captured without golem rush/night capping if the attackers outplay the evenly matched defenders.

On a slight digression, I also want to see expanded upgrades for towers and keeps, keeps that become visibly more powerful as they are upgraded, and rewards for holding/upgrading structures which makes it more of a risky investment than a gold sink. Now to find a way to get this through to the developers…

Engineer – Thief – Warrior

in WvW

Posted by: Niadon.9270

Niadon.9270

No PvE in WvW? maybe the whole PvE maps of one server turned in WvWvW areas like a World Wide War? anyone called me?:D

Far ShiverPeaks
Endure Pain [PAIN]

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

Sorry, I disagree with the OP. I think adding pve elements to WvW will only encourage those pve’rs to give WvW a try. Many are intimidated by the idea of WvW only because they haven’t tried it yet. This could be a key step into getting them more involved.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

in WvW

Posted by: JemL.3501

JemL.3501

i miss the orbs, and i like all the mobs around, good way to do your daily like np

I took an arrow to the knee

in WvW

Posted by: Alarox.4590

Alarox.4590

The thread quickly turned into a collaborative way of coming up with reasons that adding more PvE would improve WvW, instead of having the reasons first and then concluding to add more.

Basically, coming up with excuses to add something that doesn’t need to be there because you think it might be cool for a little bit. Dragons are cool, but there’s no need for them in WvW. And yet, the first page turns into a discussion to come up with reasons for a dragon.

WvW is great because of the PvP. The reason people are still playing each night is because of how much fun it is fighting against other players in a week-long war over three huge maps. The people who will keep playing WvW for a long time to come are the people who love the PvP. The dedicated players are dedicated to the PvP.

And yet, you want to put the focus more on PvE when PvP is the reason why WvW is still going strong? Sure, you might attract some PvE players for the PvE fights, and PvX players might it enjoy it for a while, but what does it add to the core of WvW? Nothing, and the thread is essentially a big attempt to rationalize the desire to fight big dragons in spite of what WvW really is: PvP.

Alarox – Human Guardian
Rampage Wilson – Charr Engineer
Sea of Sorrows

(edited by Alarox.4590)

in WvW

Posted by: spiritus.7983

spiritus.7983

Dunno whats wrong with this ppl from Anet… ppl who are in WWW they want to pvp. I dont get why they want to implement that grief when you lose all your towers coz all the noobs is fighting a dragon or doing some kitteny quest.

So take your crap pve and put it where it belongs: IN PVE MAP
okas?
how hard is to understand???… aparently verry hard, coz seems they keep trolling about pushing pve in www

Evil, GH -Charr rule.
A Skritt is dumb. A group of Skritt are smart.
A Human is smart. A group of Humans are idiots.

in WvW

Posted by: BrockMcCleery.9562

BrockMcCleery.9562

Eh, there are better things to implement in WvW first.

Not overly pro or con on this, it can be fun if done right. But there should never be PvE events or anything during prime-time, especially Fri and Saturday after a server match re-start. Definitely do not want 50+ filling the Q as they go off to fight some mob boss.

in WvW

Posted by: Woodsman Silencio.9361

Woodsman Silencio.9361

My 2 cents: first of all, i disagree with OP. So for sure he is talking for himself or at least not for all.
If recall well, there was an interview with the wvwvw developers in wich they stated that they are hestitant towards putting more vE elements into the WvWvW maps. And i think rightly so. The current vE elements need to be adressed first to make them more valuable.
Personally i am an PvE orientated player. Only WvWvW has some attractiveness to me. Being able to use Siege weapons ( wich i consider an vE element ) to support my team is wonderfull. To capture / befriend some NPC’s to support my team is fun to do.
I think that as long as the vE elements bring strategical points into play then they are “good”. When the vE elements just draws away people from objectives ( assaulting towers/keeps, supply denial ). then they are “bad”.
As far as i have read from Anet, they wanted WvWvW to be the middle ground between PvE and sPvP. I think the current situation is “good” enough. There might be some tweaks to be done here and there but not big things like: remove all vE content and also not add a big new Boss. I’d rather see they’d balance out the current factors first before even considering adding new things.

Have Fun.

Co-founder and Co-leader of: Global Guild of Dark.

in WvW

Posted by: electricblues.1059

electricblues.1059

This thread is quite amazing, sad, but amazing. You guys who enjoy pve have THE ENTIRE GAME with many many zone dedicated to your particular entertainment, and all you guys can think of is how to add more pve content into the one enjoyable competitive pvp content in the game. Spvp is lame and there is no ranking system. Wvw has tactics, pvp, and ranking all in one, it is really fun. Why can’t you guys just go enjoy the other dragons and hundreds of events everywhere else in the game? Why do you have to take away some of fun we pvp guys get?

And the pve element already in wvw aren’t that well designed either. They are really just commander checks. If your server doesn’t have good enough communication then you might lose your zerg to fighting the grub. That seems to be about it. And having people rally endlessly because they drug a bunch of mobs into the fight doesn’t seem to make any sense. Even the more well designed events like the quaggans and the orges still feel like a chore when we have to clear them. It’s the fighting that has a chance of failure (pvp) that is the real enjoyment.

(edited by electricblues.1059)

in WvW

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

More PVE elements in WvW please!

Add pre-events that spawns a dragon in the Stone Mist lord’s room where all 3 servers have to battle it out with (and each other) to claim SM.

in WvW

Posted by: CHIPS.6018

CHIPS.6018

I have seen people building siege at the EB jumping puzzle just to kitten people off. I have also seen people fighting over the jumping puzzle when they are losing towers.

Chipsy Chips(Necromancer) & Char Ashnoble(Thief)
The Order of Dii[Dii]-SBI→Kaineng→TC→JQ
Necro Encyclopedia-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrAjJ1N6hxs

in WvW

Posted by: salluks.6017

salluks.6017

If I have to fight AI instead of players then I am quitting the game.

Honestly a wvw player is different from a pve player.
There are enough of both in the game.
I wouldn’t want to play someone who wants to sell siege to make whe money when my guildies lose sleep just watch a tower from getting raided and not even be rewarded for it.

in WvW

Posted by: cowman.8901

cowman.8901

Nice to see the WOW transfers represented here. Yes bosses in WvW right girls?
How about some damage meters too?

We want to change all games we play to Wow right? Why didn’t you just stay there?

in WvW

Posted by: Haiki.9178

Haiki.9178

Against additional PvE on WvW maps.
WvW is about strategy and tactics, which should be decided by players, not by some scripted events. And WvW is about fight against other players, not the environment or AI.

in WvW

Posted by: Kyus.3812

Kyus.3812

WvW should be focused at increasing the ammount of time spent fighting other players.

if Arena net feel the need to include pve elements they need to be solely focused on creating more player vs player combat and not be a distraction away from it. The current pve is trivial.

If they want to add more pve, then make sure its out in the open away from fortifications to get people out from hiding behind 10 arrow carts they built in the afternoon whilst everyone else was at work and into the actual fields to fight man to man.

Kyús – 80 – Guardian// All Classes Level 80
Hand of Blood [HoB]
EU – Aurora Glade

in WvW

Posted by: Daze.6914

Daze.6914

Better remove ALL mobs from WvW maps

If only…

By the way, against additional PvE on WvW maps too.

War Inc. Community [WIC]
Far Shiverpeaks
GW2 WvW - GW2 Gem Price

in WvW

Posted by: Henrik.7560

Henrik.7560

Keep the yellow creatures but remove the reds, if they just scratch you it puts you in combat and your at the back of the zerg since you are 40% slower… Swiftness won’t help because everyone else has swiftness. Far too many kraits in the see, its impossible to swim through with out getting hit, and thats a pain, because they immobilize cripple and pull you…
Keep yellows but remove reds.

Arcane Bastion [AB]
Elementalist Mesmer Ranger
Sea of Sorrows

in WvW

Posted by: Emapudapus.1307

Emapudapus.1307

Personally i would love to have more pve in wvw. It adds its dynamics and more fun. Tho i prefear more numerous npc than few npc that are champions or other (except some sort npc commanders/captains…).

all is vain

in WvW

Posted by: Ruprect.7260

Ruprect.7260

Pve content tied into WvW/pvp content
Quaggan/ogre/hylek camps are a good examples, but even the grub.
I dont mind the JP either, but would wish for more objectives in them to be tied to the actual WvW battles and rewards more targeted at WvW.

Harpyie is badly implemented pve, cuz its too easy to kill and too “well hidden/safe”.
Same goes with all those annoying random mobs (kraits, icebears, wolves,wolves, wolves…^^) littering the WvW everywhere…
They hinder WvW and would be better off stuffed away at centaur camp…at least it would be attracting more players to that area.

About wrong incentives from PvE rewards
More siege BPs, more badges (less in chests!), more money-worthy items.
Player kills and WvW events should give away lots more of craft mats & more drops < exotics/rare level.

On the other hand rare stuff like Exotics/Precursor …
…should be possible to drop (even from player kills), BUT with a WAY, WAY,WAY lesser droprate compared to pve!

May sound paradox?!
The high RnG factor on rare loot gets dimished by the higher kill count and “long term dedication” (..to kill player/take objectives) of a typical WvW player. The surplus on money-worthy drops will be (already is…^^) “countered” by the WvW money sinks.
While the lesser drop rates on rares wont scare away pvper from killing players, but wont be any real
incentive for money/rares-farming pve dedicated players.

After all killing players for some hours feels less grindy for the pvper compared to PvE while possibly be more challengeing and expensive at times, which often dont get rewarded.

Thats why overall money income should be higher, because costs on the long run are higher if dedicated to WvW.
While rares can be rarer, because bad drop rates get compensated by longterm dedication to WvW.

I got a Zap in WvW off a player kill the other day. Precursors do drop in WvW.

Ruprect – [DIS] Dissentient
Mesmer/Elementalist/Guardian/Necromancer/Warrior
[TC] Tarnished Coast

in WvW

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

This thread is quite amazing, sad, but amazing. You guys who enjoy pve have THE ENTIRE GAME with many many zone dedicated to your particular entertainment, and all you guys can think of is how to add more pve content into the one enjoyable competitive pvp content in the game. Spvp is lame and there is no ranking system. Wvw has tactics, pvp, and ranking all in one, it is really fun. Why can’t you guys just go enjoy the other dragons and hundreds of events everywhere else in the game? Why do you have to take away some of fun we pvp guys get?

And the pve element already in wvw aren’t that well designed either. They are really just commander checks. If your server doesn’t have good enough communication then you might lose your zerg to fighting the grub. That seems to be about it. And having people rally endlessly because they drug a bunch of mobs into the fight doesn’t seem to make any sense. Even the more well designed events like the quaggans and the orges still feel like a chore when we have to clear them. It’s the fighting that has a chance of failure (pvp) that is the real enjoyment.

As long as they have PvE objectives in WvW (map completion) they better have some interesting PvE content there as well.

in WvW

Posted by: Musty.3148

Musty.3148

I play WvW for Players to fight. I don’t want more PvE mixed in please.

80 Elementalist/80 Mesmer/80 Guardian/80 Thief
Now Musty Britches since someone decided Shortbus Rider was offensive… [LoS] [NSP]

in WvW

Posted by: Victory.2879

Victory.2879

No. No. No. The LAST thing wvw needs is any more pve elements. It’s bad enough that we get them in doing their jump puzzles and ruining numbers that are needed to defend towers, keeps etc and ruining the server’s chances of winning a match up (which by the way pve’rs, is what it is about), but adding more pve content? Great way to lose the real wvw’rs..it’s annoying enough to have to wait in a queue seeing your server’s score dropping then to finally get logged in to find that due to 20-30 JP’ers you have lost all your upgraded towers and keeps and you’re now badly outnumbered.

wvw is for pvp. Map completion has nothing to do with having more pve in wvw- just get in, tag all the points that are owned by your server and get out, wait a week until your server moves position and grab some more- in 3 weeks you will finish the maps with a bit of luck. And a word to the wise- if all you want to do is grab poi’s etc then do it at a quiet time for your server and on a day when it isn’t crucial to your server to have full BL’s with everyone joining in the fighting.

Victory, Beings Lost On Borderlands (BLOB), SFR & Gandara (inactive)

in WvW

Posted by: MattMesa.8401

MattMesa.8401

Is there not a whole map dedicated to PvE already? Did I miss something? Is that not enough for the people who want to do PvE? Now you need part of our world; which, already has a player cap on it?!

How about we reverse this? The days I miss the most are of pre-t2a of UO. Instead of PvE “people” coming into WvW – why don’t you just let all of us “PvP” free to fight in, around, and with the people on the PvE map?

Also let us have full loot – and the loss of our own if we die too.

Of course, this is coming from someone who made the call sign of their guild [PK]

(edited by MattMesa.8401)

in WvW

Posted by: oZii.2864

oZii.2864

What is going on in here? Where is this quote about dragons? I just read the blog post about it and don’t see dragons in WvW coming. Is this one of those lets freak out and panic ascended gear things that we have very little information on and will continue to speculate?

[Good Fights]Sinndicate{Ele}Sinactic{Engineer}
Sinnastor{Warrior}Sinnacle{Mesmer}Sintacs
{Thief}

in WvW

Posted by: Ascii.9726

Ascii.9726

I do, is the answer to this topic title.

Rank 580+ Necromancer WvW Stream
Commander Ascii :: Tempest Wolves [TW] :: Sanctum of Rall :: Best Necromancer NA

in WvW

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

There are many PvE players who would rather not have to venture into WvW at all to get their map completion medal. But if they’re going to be there, it might as well be interesting, instead of the stupidly boring tagging of map elements in 3 identical maps.

in WvW

Posted by: RocNessMonster.9620

RocNessMonster.9620

I’m for meaningful PvE content relevant to WvW. Not everyone wants to run in the zerg, some of us prefer small group open world PVP. Minor PVE stuff to do (gathering resources and/or allies) encourages more solo and small group roaming.

in WvW

Posted by: deracs.1762

deracs.1762

Personal view I would like to see all PvE removed from WvWvW. What I would like to see is more objectives added that smaller groups would have a reason to break off from the zerg and go after that would have an IMPACT on the WvW. For me the challenge of wvwv is fighting players and not AI. I have PvE for fighting AI. I realize that having AI to fight in WvW could become a gank spot for some fighting but I prefer the thought of objectives for PvP vs fighting over mobs.
As far as PvE players being attracted to try WvW, I simply dont see it happening. Imagine a PvE type player, goes to WvW to do (insert pve objective here), gets there, is instantly ganked by thief, or run over by 5-10 players, and you will never see that player again. Now take same PvE player, joins into WvW follows the zerg, has some protection, sees a little action etc. maybe has some fun and gets into it so more. Just my view

in WvW

Posted by: Swamurabi.7890

Swamurabi.7890

Personally I don’t care what Anet adds or subtracts from WvW as long as it increases the level of chaos.

I’m tired of the one sided matches. I’ve been on both sides and it’s more boring as the dominator than the dominated. Attacking while outmanned is at least something you can learn and use in later matches. Defending with high populations doesn’t teach as much.

I’m also tired of PvD but being in NA EST I only get to see the after effect of night capping. I’ve only been in PvD a couple times when the other servers quit playing on our home BL.

For the last 6-7 weeks in T3 NA there have been close scores, which has led to an almost predictable match where the same strategies are used hour after hour after hour. The only times where the matches got interesting are when all 3 sides have high population (Friday-Sunday). Unfortunatly the most interesting battle was when all 3 servers were in SMC lord’s room at the same time, which caused a 3 second delay for skill activation if you stood still and if you moved the skill never activated.

I would like Anet have a system where everyone has the same level of concern, not just those that are outmanned.

in WvW

Posted by: ankdarkwolf.1487

ankdarkwolf.1487

Imo this isn’t a good thing, at least on a first exam. I hope Anet is going to do things really carefully.

The major problems I see about introducing PvE content in wvw is the lack of interest in partecipating to the wvw activities, not to mention the limited space for ppl in wvw.
PvE events = Rewards = PvErs camping the maps = queues/inactive-not collaborative randoms = Real wvw’ers outside waiting = decreasing quality of wvw battles = wvw’ers disappointment… and then? what will wvw become without wvw’ers? :-(

Maeeve – The Unlikely Plan (TUP) – Cute! <3

in WvW

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

As far as PvE players being attracted to try WvW, I simply dont see it happening. Imagine a PvE type player, goes to WvW to do (insert pve objective here), gets there, is instantly ganked by thief, or run over by 5-10 players, and you will never see that player again. Now take same PvE player, joins into WvW follows the zerg, has some protection, sees a little action etc. maybe has some fun and gets into it so more. Just my view

I fully agree. PvE players that avoid PvP mostly do so because they don’t like PvP, not because they don’t know what it is or how fun it might be for the rest of us. The number of players who are likely to get recruited to PvP by watering down PvP in WvW would likely be very small, in my opinion. It’s not like players can’t jump back and forth between styles of play to have the best of both worlds.

Also, consider this. What do you get when you combine all of the most colorful and vibrant paints on the palette into one little pile? You get an ugly, muddy looking brown that appeals to no one.

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

in WvW

Posted by: Emerge.9640

Emerge.9640

I wouldn’t mind world bosses in WvW IF culling and queues weren’t a problem. Would bring in a lot of bads to blow up =D

ROAM | Oink | TLP

in WvW

Posted by: ajm.2931

ajm.2931

shorter thread:

“My way of playing is the only right way to play, all you others are doing it wrong”

There is Structured PvP for those who want pvp and to see arbitrary numbers going up. There is Tyria for those who want pve and to see arbitrary numbers going up.

Then there is wvw, this weird fun little mix of the two…

Obic – Tarnished Coast
Yak Cultist and follower of the Great Golem God

in WvW

Posted by: Wizardauz.3761

Wizardauz.3761

Yeeee more dragons! OP indirectly started a revolution. All pvers praise the OP lolol!

Sounds like it could be fun

Ehmry Bay – Good Fights Guild Leader
Lvl 80 Sylvari Guardian – Tzenjin [GF]
Lvl 80 Human Elementalist – Tzenkai [GF]

in WvW

Posted by: AprilRain.7649

AprilRain.7649

Just here to get one thing through to everyone saying “Boohoo, added no more PvE to WvW!!!111 It’s PvP!1!11”:

You Sir, are terribly mistaken. WvW was designed to be a PvE meets PvP part of the game. This means that you can go about doing PvE stuff and not fight a single other player, or you can choose to only focus on PvP – Or the third and most prefered option by everyone; kill whatever the hell you run in to.

If Arenanet finds a suitable way to allow people in WvW to summon dragons from inside their keep to assist during an assault on Stonemist, whether defensive or offense, I’d love to see it happen. Hell, I’d even support them if they added an option for people to purchase a flying pink hippo to upgrade your tower defenses.

This game is all about fun, if you can’t appreciate that, you shouldn’t be playing.

in WvW

Posted by: Stiv.1820

Stiv.1820

Big bosses are great in open world PvP zones. It creates huge fights around trying to down them. Lets factions try to screw each other while trying to kill them. Aion has this and it was pretty good.

in WvW

Posted by: deracs.1762

deracs.1762

Just here to get one thing through to everyone saying “Boohoo, added no more PvE to WvW!!!111 It’s PvP!1!11”:

You Sir, are terribly mistaken. WvW was designed to be a PvE meets PvP part of the game. This means that you can go about doing PvE stuff and not fight a single other player, or you can choose to only focus on PvP – Or the third and most prefered option by everyone; kill whatever the hell you run in to.

If Arenanet finds a suitable way to allow people in WvW to summon dragons from inside their keep to assist during an assault on Stonemist, whether defensive or offense, I’d love to see it happen. Hell, I’d even support them if they added an option for people to purchase a flying pink hippo to upgrade your tower defenses.

This game is all about fun, if you can’t appreciate that, you shouldn’t be playing.

Not sure where it has been said that WvW was designed to be PvE meets PvP, nor does it really matter. This is nothing more then people giving thier view of what they would like or not like in WvW (in this case the discussion is based around PvE inside of WvW) so dismissing peoples view as simply wrong is as misguided as the OP speaking for all WvW players.

as far as “This game is all about fun, if you can’t appreciate that, you shouldn’t be playing” you need to appreciate that fun means different things to different people. For me WvW would be more fun without and PvE. does not make me right, does not make me wrong

in WvW

Posted by: Gilgamesh.2561

Gilgamesh.2561

Actually, dragons in WvW would be awesome. I wouldn’t mind if all PvE was removed from WvW except dragons or other “boss” type creatures (e.g. giants).

However, you don’t just throw in “dragon event” in some barren corner of the map as a distraction for players to fight. Don’t make this another dumb grub.

You make the dragon part of the WvW struggle.

The dragon could be involved:

• As a neutral party that randomly spawns once in awhile around areas where a large amount of players are located. The dragon attacks anyone.
  • As a “siege engine” that could be purchased and ordered to attack your foes. You wouldn’t ride it or control it, although that could be a cool idea.
  • As a keep upgrade, and the dragon would patrol the skies and protect your keep. However, this could have the effect of making winning teams on imbalanced matches being nigh impossible to defeat.
  • As a rare bonus for underdogs or servers who are greatly underpopulated. The dragon would aid the underdogs for awhile or until killed.

Personally I am only in favor of option 1: Dragon as a neutral party that randomly spawns in areas of mass player population. Dragons in Guild Wars lore-sense don’t fight for anyone, so a neutral dragon only makes sense. Plus, it would be pure chaos and add a new dimension to battles if a dragon suddenly shows up in your 3-way battle. The dragon’s AI would have to be tuned so that it favors attacking anyone in the vicinity, not just those who have attacked it, and make it so it can attack those on walls within a keep’s wall, from air. Otherwise dragons would just serve to inadvertently defend keeps.

(edited by Gilgamesh.2561)

in WvW

Cactus.2710

Big bosses are great in open world PvP zones. It creates huge fights around trying to down them. Lets factions try to screw each other while trying to kill them. Aion has this and it was pretty good.

That only works if killing the boss grants some award that contributes to the server score, such as a tactical advantage somewhere on the map, a buff to the “winners” (see next comment), or simply some extra points. If it does not do that, you end up with HUGE friction within the server due to conflicting objectives. Players who just spent the last hour trying to take a keep are going to be irate when they are abandoned by team mates who decide it would be more fun or rewarding to run off to fight the boss. If ArenaNet wants to ruin WvW, putting server mates at odds with each other is the way to do it.

And how exactly do you determine the winner of a three way battle to kill the boss? The one that does the most combined damage?? Take it from someone who for months endured the travesty that is Conquest in Rift … if the winning team is the one that drops the most damage on the boss, the majority of players are likely to stand around (shoulder to shoulder even if they are enemies) DPS’ing the boss until it is down. If the reward for contributing damage to the boss is an individual reward as opposed to a team reward, this kind of temporary truce is almost guaranteed to happen.

And if the boss spawns randomly around the map, such that one faction will almost certainly have an advantage fighting it, ArenaNet can count on LOTS of qq’ing in these forums about the unfairness of it all.

All in all I view these proposals for random boss fights and similar artifacts to be misguided (even simpleminded … sorry, but that’s how it is) attempts to add additional content to WvW that take the easy way out. The emphasis instead should be on cleverly adding PvP content that broadens and deepens the existing conflict, not detracts from it. Adding noise to a familiar piece of music may give it more variety, but the net result is not pleasing.

Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

in WvW

Posted by: Stiv.1820

Stiv.1820

That only works if killing the boss grants some award that contributes to the server score, such as a tactical advantage somewhere on the map, a buff to the “winners” (see next comment), or simply some extra points. If it does not do that, you end up with HUGE friction within the server due to conflicting objectives. Players who just spent the last hour trying to take a keep are going to be irate when they are abandoned by team mates who decide it would be more fun or rewarding to run off to fight the boss. If ArenaNet wants to ruin WvW, putting server mates at odds with each other is the way to do it.

And how exactly do you determine the winner of a three way battle to kill the boss? The one that does the most combined damage?? Take it from someone who for months endured the travesty that is Conquest in Rift … if the winning team is the one that drops the most damage on the boss, the majority of players are likely to stand around (shoulder to shoulder even if they are enemies) DPS’ing the boss until it is down. If the reward for contributing damage to the boss is an individual reward as opposed to a team reward, this kind of temporary truce is almost guaranteed to happen.

And if the boss spawns randomly around the map, such that one faction will almost certainly have an advantage fighting it, ArenaNet can count on LOTS of qq’ing in these forums about the unfairness of it all.

All in all I view these proposals for random boss fights and similar artifacts to be misguided (even simpleminded … sorry, but that’s how it is) attempts to add additional content to WvW that take the easy way out. The emphasis instead should be on cleverly adding PvP content that broadens and deepens the existing conflict, not detracts from it. Adding noise to a familiar piece of music may give it more variety, but the net result is not pleasing.

The main problem is that there is a max limit on who can go into WvW. If that didn’t exist you wouldn’t have this problem. No one would be taking anyone else’s “space”. I believe Anet has stated that is an eventual goal, to eliminate all queues.

I would like to see it to the point where people go to WvW to level up off mobs. Create incentives for players to want to be in the PvP zone. It opens up another tier of PvP, ganking and anti-ganking.

Bosses in WvW are the same concept except (depending on boss difficult) it’s group ganking or raid ganking. They could use Aion’s way of doing it. In this case, the server who first tags the boss gets it unless the other server can kill them, reset the boss and take it down 100-0. If the other side helps, that’s fine but they don’t get anything if their side didn’t tag it first. This would be only for these encounters of course.

In Aion some of the most fun I had was sneaking up on a group doing an open world boss and killing their healer, or bursting their tank when he was a low health causing chaos. GW2 is different but you could have similar experiences.

in WvW

Cactus.2710

Actually, dragons in WvW would be awesome. I wouldn’t mind if all PvE was removed from WvW except dragons or other “boss” type creatures (e.g. giants).

However, you don’t just throw in “dragon event” in some barren corner of the map as a distraction for players to fight. Don’t make this another dumb grub.

You make the dragon part of the WvW struggle.

The dragon could be involved:

• As a neutral party that randomly spawns once in awhile around areas where a large amount of players are located. The dragon attacks anyone.
  • As a “siege engine” that could be purchased and ordered to attack your foes. You wouldn’t ride it or control it, although that could be a cool idea.
  • As a keep upgrade, and the dragon would patrol the skies and protect your keep. However, this could have the effect of making winning teams on imbalanced matches being nigh impossible to defeat.
  • As a rare bonus for underdogs or servers who are greatly underpopulated. The dragon would aid the underdogs for awhile or until killed.

Personally I am only in favor of option 1: Dragon as a neutral party that randomly spawns in areas of mass player population. Dragons in Guild Wars lore-sense don’t fight for anyone, so a neutral dragon only makes sense. Plus, it would be pure chaos and add a new dimension to battles if a dragon suddenly shows up in your 3-way battle. The dragon’s AI would have to be tuned so that it favors attacking anyone in the vicinity, not just those who have attacked it, and make it so it can attack those on walls within a keep’s wall, from air. Otherwise dragons would just serve to inadvertently defend keeeps.

-1 is a distraction, pure and simple. Everyone who is actually trying to accomplish something will hate it. The only people who will like it are the JP’ers.

-2 is simply a fast golem.

-3 is just defensive siege in a different skin

-4 is just the breakout commander without wings.

Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

in WvW

Posted by: Pixels.6532

Pixels.6532

IMO, a Stonemist “Breakout Event” using dragons would be epic.

Say it requires 2 qualifications:
1. Single server has to have held SM Castle for 6 consecutive hours
2. That same server has to be in first place and have a lead in excess of 25% over the second place server

If both those quals are met, all the dragon Lt.s show up and ransack the place. They should be killable, but so difficult it would require full EB queue and everyone on your server dropping back to SM to defend.

If they wipe you, they ransack the place leaving all the walls down and every npc inside dead meaning it’s a three server race to see who gets there and takes it back.

On the other hand, if the server defending SM manages to fend off the dragons, nice big reward chest with seige and badges at the end of it.

Actually, it would be even more epic and insane if the dragons transformed the other two servers into one mass of dragon zombie minions and everyone attacked SB and once the dragons left switched back and fought it out for control of SM.

Sanctum of Rall

in WvW

Posted by: Foghladha.2506

Foghladha.2506

Please no dragons in WvW. Please no world bosses in WvW. Nobody in the WvW community wants that. That line story event sounds kind of shady. “Escort mob X to position Y” type of thing is always a failure, because it will just turn into a PVE farmfest. It’s always easier to just SvE (Server vs Environment) than to actually fight the opposing faction, and remember, people choose the fastest possible route to their gear. If that route excludes killing players, then they won’t attack each other.

I have 50K kills and over 10K badges. Nobody I’ve ever met wants more PVE in WvW.

Not everyone thinks the same way. I for one think it would be awesome if the top team got a dragon to fight against them on top of the other 2 factions to knock them down a peg. Some of the most fun i’ve had in a game was in DAOC where they had NPC’s in the WvW lake. It adds yet another element to the mix.

But not everyone will agree with me. ArenaNet needs to keep their ideas open to all types of players. The hard core PvPers will have their thing. The Mixed PvE/PvPers will have their things, etc. They want to make something for everyone. I welcome creative ideas from the devs to bring something for everyone into WvW.

Benjamin “Foghladha.2506” Foley
Founder, Gaiscioch Community [GSCH] | Gaiscioch Magazine | Twitch | YouTube | Twitter
Proud Resident of Mercenary Server Sanctum of Rall | 6 Year Extra-Life Charity Event Participant

in WvW

Cactus.2710

Please no dragons in WvW. Please no world bosses in WvW. Nobody in the WvW community wants that. That line story event sounds kind of shady. “Escort mob X to position Y” type of thing is always a failure, because it will just turn into a PVE farmfest. It’s always easier to just SvE (Server vs Environment) than to actually fight the opposing faction, and remember, people choose the fastest possible route to their gear. If that route excludes killing players, then they won’t attack each other.

I have 50K kills and over 10K badges. Nobody I’ve ever met wants more PVE in WvW.

Not everyone thinks the same way. I for one think it would be awesome if the top team got a dragon to fight against them on top of the other 2 factions to knock them down a peg. Some of the most fun i’ve had in a game was in DAOC where they had NPC’s in the WvW lake. It adds yet another element to the mix.

But not everyone will agree with me. ArenaNet needs to keep their ideas open to all types of players. The hard core PvPers will have their thing. The Mixed PvE/PvPers will have their things, etc. They want to make something for everyone. I welcome creative ideas from the devs to bring something for everyone into WvW.

I love it how people propose these things without actually thinking them through. How exactly do you kill a flying dragon? The only people with a chance to do anything are those that have decent ranged abilities … those with primarily melee or AoE abilities are going to be just standing around watching.

If you want to throw in some sort of equalizer, it would be far simpler to just turn the outmanned buff into a combat buff that actually meant something, or maybe grant the option for commanders on 2nd and 3rd place servers to recruit NPCs that could be assigned to squads.

But simply adding an element because you think it would be visually “awesome” isn’t particularly clever.

Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

in WvW

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

I love reading all these PvP purists accusing people that like a bit of PvE in WvW as being PvE players. WvW isn’t PvP, it’s WvW and the PvE content in WvW is there by design. Want pure PVP? play sPvP.
WvW is about territorial conquest, it involves both PvP elements AND PvE elements. Not one or the other. I spend 90% of my time in WvW killing players, taking camps, towers, keeps and merc camps, as long as the PvE content is relevant to WvW and contributes to the WvW the. it’s fine by me. Grub, Centaurs, Skritt currently do not, so they need to be refined so they do, not removed. I wvW because i love WvW, if all you want is to kill players, do it,mif you don’t like to PvP with PvE around you, the tournaments are thataway —->

(edited by Elthurien.8356)

in WvW

Posted by: Ayo Blame.7051

Ayo Blame.7051

The best part about this thread is that it clearly shows that people like WvW for different reasons. Because you don’t like x doesn’t mean magical Y% is real. WvW is already filled with pve content. It uses the PvE rule set. It’s PvE with pvp elements. You aren’t killing all the defenders of a tower to take the tower you’re ultimate goal is to kill the keep lord which is an NPC.

in WvW

Posted by: Centrix.4065

Centrix.4065

I don’t mind the guards, keeplords and such being NPCs, but imo none of the other random mobs you see in wvw should aggro you unless you attack them first. They are just annoying

Lv.80 Elementalist, Guardian, Necromancer, Thief
[VII] Seventh Legion | http://twitch.tv/censtudios

in WvW

Posted by: Sansarah.3076

Sansarah.3076

Is there not a whole map dedicated to PvE already? Did I miss something? Is that not enough for the people who want to do PvE? Now you need part of our world; which, already has a player cap on it?!

How about we reverse this? The days I miss the most are of pre-t2a of UO. Instead of PvE “people” coming into WvW – why don’t you just let all of us “PvP” free to fight in, around, and with the people on the PvE map?

Also let us have full loot – and the loss of our own if we die too.

Of course, this is coming from someone who made the call sign of their guild [PK]

This. I would love something even close to it.