Can any Charr help this indecisive guy?

in Charr

Posted by: Hairyjube.5024

Hairyjube.5024

Q:

I’m just looking for some opinions or feedback to help me make a choice in character. I played this game during beta events and on release and took a long break due to not being able to decide what to play. The only thing i can absolutely decide on is that i love Charr. Class wise i have narrowed it down to guardian and thief, both very different i know. I played warrior on the past and its not what i hoped it to be.

I’m looking for whichever of these two classes is the most rewarding when played skillfully. I’m not so much into being a glass cannon, but i don’t really want to be a bunker with 0 damage either. Any reasons to help me make up my mind would be awesome. Lore wise, role playing wise, and game play reasons will all help me choose

sorry for the wall of text =) just looking for some help being indecisive is terrible!

in Charr

Posted by: LameFox.6349

LameFox.6349

If you started out looking for something you expected a warrior to be, then probably guardian (unless you like ranged stuff). They both* have low hp, but guardians focus on active defence while thieves focus on active (redundant? There’s not really another kind in this game) evasion. Not that a thief has to be a glass cannon, but relative to an equivalent guardian it will be a glassier cannon, since its skills largely revolve around dodges, blinds, stealth, etc.

It may depend also on what you want to do with it. I’ve heard guardians are a bit lacking in WvW due to their relative lack of mobility and their ranged attacks being sucky, and you can’t always expect to tank without being squashed in WvW. On the other hand thieves do great in WvW, but are exceeded by guardians in PvE. I don’t really do any serious PvP but I think both have their place there; I did seem to do best with a guardian out of the classes I tried in it, personally. I imagine with controlled numbers you don’t have to worry about being smushed under the heels of a zerg so melee shouldn’t (and hasn’t, for me) become totally non-viable there.

*guardians and thieves I mean, not warriors.

in Charr

Posted by: Ramiah.5648

Ramiah.5648

It does really depend on what you want to do.
Charr-wise though? Go with what you feel best defines the type of Charr you want to be. When I heard Charr were playable and could be any profession, I decided Mesmer. Why Mesmer? Because I wanted my Charr to be full of magic, but not Elementalist because the Flame Legion were all fire and stuff and I wanted to avoid that and Necromancer was a little too dark instead of just “magic.”
For you, do you want to be the kind of charr that stalks into the camp like a panther and takes down the enemy, always present but not noticed until it’s far, FAR too late? Do you enjoy the idea of shifting around like a ghost on the wind striking with ferocity and then vanishing into the night? Go Thief.
Or, do you want to be more like a Lion battle commander, shouting out encouragement that rallies the troops (and literally buffs/heals them) and either keeps them going with support or charges into the fray? Go Guardian.
I find that choosing something fun and creative will keep you enjoying the game long after nerfs/buffs/metagame/flavor of the month has come and gone. And as a game, that’s it’s purpose- fun.

Thy faithful servant asketh for thy blessing. Honor us with the splendor of thy song.
Protect us… Holy Song!

in Charr

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

It does really depend on what you want to do.
Charr-wise though? Go with what you feel best defines the type of Charr you want to be. When I heard Charr were playable and could be any profession, I decided Mesmer. Why Mesmer? Because I wanted my Charr to be full of magic, but not Elementalist because the Flame Legion were all fire and stuff and I wanted to avoid that and Necromancer was a little too dark instead of just “magic.”
For you, do you want to be the kind of charr that stalks into the camp like a panther and takes down the enemy, always present but not noticed until it’s far, FAR too late? Do you enjoy the idea of shifting around like a ghost on the wind striking with ferocity and then vanishing into the night? Go Thief.
Or, do you want to be more like a Lion battle commander, shouting out encouragement that rallies the troops (and literally buffs/heals them) and either keeps them going with support or charges into the fray? Go Guardian.
I find that choosing something fun and creative will keep you enjoying the game long after nerfs/buffs/metagame/flavor of the month has come and gone. And as a game, that’s it’s purpose- fun.

Well said.

in Charr

Posted by: Weindrasi.3805

Weindrasi.3805

Lore wise: Charr guardians are virtually non-existent. It’s not in charr culture to be a protector/defender of others, because everyone is expected to defend him or herself. The only one in-game is Dinky, and he’s considered weird and unintelligent by others. So in terms of cultural norms, a charr born in Ascalon would not be a guardian. It might be viable for a charr who grew up orphaned among another race, but that’s it. A thief, on the other hand, works well for charr

Roleplaying: Pretty much same as lore. If you have a charr guardian, you’re going to need a legitimate excuse or backstory as to how and why it’s so.

Armor: Guardian is heavy and thief is medium. It’s easier to find good looking heavy armor for charr, but there are some very cool medium sets as well.

Gameplay: Hard to say. There’s a lot of variety with all the classes

in Charr

Posted by: Kokocat.6045

Kokocat.6045

Lore wise: Charr guardians are virtually non-existent. It’s not in charr culture to be a protector/defender of others, because everyone is expected to defend him or herself. The only one in-game is Dinky, and he’s considered weird and unintelligent by others. So in terms of cultural norms, a charr born in Ascalon would not be a guardian. It might be viable for a charr who grew up orphaned among another race, but that’s it. A thief, on the other hand, works well for charr

Roleplaying: Pretty much same as lore. If you have a charr guardian, you’re going to need a legitimate excuse or backstory as to how and why it’s so.

Armor: Guardian is heavy and thief is medium. It’s easier to find good looking heavy armor for charr, but there are some very cool medium sets as well.

I would actually say this is wrong. There are a lot of Charr Guardians (especially in Iron Legion). It’s not uncommon for a Charr to be a guardian since warbandmates look out for warbandmates. Yes, you are expected to be independent, but also trustworthy, loyal and a teamplayer. Charr are a powerful warmachine. Everyone from the smallest cub to the oldest veteran is a cog to this machine.

And the whole faith thing incase someone asks, faith doesn’t always apply to God or religion. I have faith in my guild we don’t screw up this week in Guild Bounty. I have faith my dad will live to be 100. I have faith GW2 will continue to be a decent game. You can have faith in anything.

in Charr

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

Is there a story behind the Guardian on the lore end of things? Do you have any thoughts on how it came to be?

They are not tied to a particular race, philosophy, or group of gods but rather to a larger concept of proactive defense, of taking the fight to a foe and protecting those you fight alongside while appealing equally to humanity’s defensive nature and the Charr’s desire to rule the battlefield.
http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/01/31/behind-the-scenes-with-the-guild-wars-2-guardian-massivelys-in/

in Charr

Posted by: synk.6907

synk.6907

My charr guardian feels quite right to me. I look after my warband and brothers and sisters on the battlefield.

Personally I won’t be making a thief charr any time soon. The charr and norn seem silly to be teleporting around and doing dodge rolls and flying around in death blossoms, but that’s just a personal preference issue and shouldn’t stop you at all. Plenty of charr thieves to go around -- Ash Legion would certainly welcome you, for example.

in Charr

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

Guardian would work well. I remember posting in another thread similar the following:

So how do they work? Quite effectively once you think about the Charr Warband.
The Legion is mother, the legion is father, but the Warband is family.
No one hurts family without paying a hefty price.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/races/charr/Lore-for-Charr-Guardian/first#post1490057

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

in Charr

Posted by: azureai.9764

azureai.9764

Gameplay wise the charr racials do give Guardians access to range they otherwise wouldn’t have (Charrzooka!). The charr warband elite is basically a watered down version of one of the Thief elites.

in Charr

Posted by: Weindrasi.3805

Weindrasi.3805

I would actually say this is wrong. There are a lot of Charr Guardians (especially in Iron Legion). It’s not uncommon for a Charr to be a guardian since warbandmates look out for warbandmates. Yes, you are expected to be independent, but also trustworthy, loyal and a teamplayer. Charr are a powerful warmachine. Everyone from the smallest cub to the oldest veteran is a cog to this machine.

And the whole faith thing incase someone asks, faith doesn’t always apply to God or religion. I have faith in my guild we don’t screw up this week in Guild Bounty. I have faith my dad will live to be 100. I have faith GW2 will continue to be a decent game. You can have faith in anything.

All right. Find me one of these so-called Iron Legion guardians. They don’t exist. Arenanet even stated that they don’t in a lore discussion, because it’s against charr culture. Your character is intended to be unique and stand-out from the culture. But when it comes to NPC’s, there are no guardians except Dinky.

(edited by Weindrasi.3805)

in Charr

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

All right. Find me one of these so-called Iron Legion guardians. They don’t exist. Arenanet even stated that they don’t in a lore discussion, because it’s against charr culture. Your character is intended to be unique and stand-out from the culture. But when it comes to NPC’s, there are no guardians except Dinky.

I posted a link above where A-net says they appeal to charr culture. A-Net may have contradicted itself though. Do you have a link?

in Charr

Posted by: azureai.9764

azureai.9764

Yeah, the devs have said before that Guardian charr pull their protective magic out of the desire to protect their warband.

in Charr

Posted by: Bathos.6341

Bathos.6341

I’d say guardian is unusual, but not unheard of for a Charr character. They’re likely looked on with a certain amount of suspicion, especially from more traditionalist charr but that could be said of any magic user. It wouldn’t matter to their warband mates though.
No issues what so ever with theif, as long as they’re ash legion

in Charr

Posted by: Aj Cheeze.2159

Aj Cheeze.2159

As a iron legion charrdian I like to think he is the guy operating weapons of war using guardian magic to keep foes off the turrets ect. makes sense especially with the blue fire weapons made for killing ghosts.( which in personal story i had a hand in making some ghost killing turrets.)

in Charr

Posted by: Kokocat.6045

Kokocat.6045

Challenge Accepted.

Challenge Complete.

You were saying?

Attachments:

(edited by Kokocat.6045)

in Charr

Posted by: LameFox.6349

LameFox.6349

Did you go to that zone to be alone? :P

Incidentally, I’m pretty sure this is true of all Iron Legion in heavy armour with a sword and shield (though I don’t recall if all ‘soldier[s]’ are that or not). At least, assuming NPC’s even have classes, because I know they do some weird things like mixing light and medium armour on occasion. The shield skills these guys use definitely don’t come from warriors or engineers at any rate.