I never got banned, got banned 2 weeks for bad language.

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Bellok.4180

Bellok.4180

You guys are looking for good behavior in a video game that supports violence, and talks about genocide against a certain race. I just want to point that out. Do you guys realise how silly this sounds? Let’s go kill someone, and then drink tea and discuss philosophy afterwards. That makes sense.

Posted by: CalvinHobbes.3541

CalvinHobbes.3541

Just learn to behave. Excuses at trying to make poor behavior legitimate are pathetic at best. I’m glad that they’re banning people who can’t interact with others in a civil manner. Take it as an opportunity to learn a new lesson.

And nothing is more civil than killing everything you see on your screen. Just don’t say a dirty word.

“It’s a magical world, Hobbes, ol’ buddy… Let’s go exploring!”

Posted by: Susurrus.2607

Susurrus.2607

I wish the Rules of Conduct would clarify the “swearing” policy. I saw somewhere a note suggesting that reasonable interjections (e.g., frustrated outbursts) would not be strictly regulated, so long as they respect others. As long as a player is mindfully respectful to others, why consider profanity to be anathema at all? Players are often more offensive without profanity than they are with.

ArenaNet is looking to build a community, and that’s going to involve guiding players to work together, both with actions and words. Part of that can be in the game mechanics themselves (e.g., support roles, and automated party-formation for events a la Rift), and part of that can be in the story (e.g., NPC role-models of dignity and honor, setting up players to embrace the chaotic good paradigm a la City of Heroes), and part of that can be in the words and actions of ArenaNet through its blogs, through its forums (Thank you, Gaile Gray!), and through its warning/banning process.

We can teach our players to respect each other. I spent years playing EVE Online and a few weeks playing Rift, and it was evident within hours how the Rift team designed their game to encourage a strong, respectful, supportive community. ArenaNet has certainly taken steps to do the same in Guild Wars 2, and I’d like to see a few steps further! As Jane McGonigal says, gaming can change the world—-and I want to see the Rules of Conduct (and the warnings for breaches of RoC) reflect ArenaNet’s goals to teach players how to be part of a thriving, honorable, supportive community.

Posted by: mcl.9240

mcl.9240

You guys are looking for good behavior in a video game that supports violence, and talks about genocide against a certain race. I just want to point that out. Do you guys realise how silly this sounds? Let’s go kill someone, and then drink tea and discuss philosophy afterwards. That makes sense.

We’re not looking for anything. We’re merely pointing out what ArenaNet’s policies are.

As analogies go, that’s not a particularly strong one. But to entertain it for a second, you’ve obviously never been in the military and dealt with officers. There are many that expect enlisted men to behave in ways that you would consider ridiculous, for exactly the same reasons you cite. And yet those conditions exist, and they exist in a real-world example of the scenario you present, rather than trying to stretch the analogy to videogames.

Bellok.4180

I wish the Rules of Conduct would clarify the “swearing” policy. I saw somewhere a note suggesting that reasonable interjections (e.g., frustrated outbursts) would not be strictly regulated, so long as they respect others. As long as a player is mindfully respectful to others, why consider profanity to be anathema at all? Players are often more offensive without profanity than they are with.

ArenaNet is looking to build a community, and that’s going to involve guiding players to work together, both with actions and words. Part of that can be in the game mechanics themselves (e.g., support roles, and automated party-formation for events a la Rift), and part of that can be in the story (e.g., NPC role-models of dignity and honor, setting up players to embrace the chaotic good paradigm a la City of Heroes), and part of that can be in the words and actions of ArenaNet through its blogs, through its forums (Thank you, Gaile Gray!), and through its warning/banning process.

We can teach our players to respect each other. I spent years playing EVE Online and a few weeks playing Rift, and it was evident within hours how the Rift team designed their game to encourage a strong, respectful, supportive community. ArenaNet has certainly taken steps to do the same in Guild Wars 2, and I’d like to see a few steps further! As Jane McGonigal says, gaming can change the world—-and I want to see the Rules of Conduct (and the warnings for breaches of RoC) reflect ArenaNet’s goals to teach players how to be part of a thriving, honorable, supportive community.

It takes educating people that such use of language is unacceptable, although banning may be the heavy handed method that could teach people not to use that language. I believe it is the wrong approach. The reason I say this is it could permanently upset someone towards the game and never play it again thus losing a potential customer who would spend money on items. However if you are respectful to those offenders, and explained to them what was offensive and allow them to adjust on their own then you tend to run less of a risk of them getting upset and leaving the game. It generally takes effort within the community itself that even though feels offended by the offender they are still able to be respectful to that person and explain to him/her why they offended them in the first place. This is a two way street, people who use such language need to grow up, and those who are offended need to grow up and work together. Reporting someone knowing they will get banned is just your unwillingness to be a part of the community, because surprise the whole community does not agree that they shouldn’t be able to use profanity.

Posted by: Impaler.6204

Impaler.6204

I applaud ArenaNet for bringing down the hammer on immaturity and inappropriate behavior in a MMO.

This type of moderation has been severely lacking in MMO’s, for once I don’t have to turn off chat and people will be talking about the game or other topics like mature and respectable adults.

WoW has spawned a breed of human that thinks they can say whatever they want online, with no ramifications. Hopefully this is a good wake up call for them.

Bellok.4180

We’re not looking for anything. We’re merely pointing out what ArenaNet’s policies are.

As analogies go, that’s not a particularly strong one. But to entertain it for a second, you’ve obviously never been in the military and dealt with officers. There are many that expect enlisted men to behave in ways that you would consider ridiculous, for exactly the same reasons you cite. And yet those conditions exist, and they exist in a real-world example of the scenario you present, rather than trying to stretch the analogy to videogames.

I spent 4 years in the navy repairing RADAR on F-14’s, and 2 years teaching sailors how to repair cryptographic electronics on board ballistic missile submarines. I am currently employed at Boeing, which deals with the military on a regular basis. The military is different, you follow rules because they will save your life. Following rules for a video game EULA is different because it is not life saving, and those rules in my opinion are always open for discussion.

(edited by Bellok.4180)

mcl.9240

I spent 4 years in the navy repairing RADAR on F-14’s, and 2 years teaching sailors how to repair cryptographic electronics on board ballistic missile submarines. I am currently employed at Boeing, which deals with the military on a regular basis. The military is different, you follows rules because they will save your life. Following rules for a video game EULA is different because it is not life saving, and those rules in my opinion are always open for discussion.

I can promise you that some butterbar coming out to my position and demanding my boots are clean when I’m knee-deep in mud constantly is not going to save my life. Perhaps my experience in a combat platoon in the Army differs a bit from yours as a Navy technician.

Corporate rules are always open for negotiation. And the corporation who set the rules may always exercise their right to impose the consequences for the rules as set, and “give your suggestions the due consideration they deserve.”

CalvinHobbes.3541

I applaud ArenaNet for bringing down the hammer on immaturity and inappropriate behavior in a MMO.

This type of moderation has been severely lacking in MMO’s, for once I don’t have to turn off chat and people will be talking about the game or other topics like mature and respectable adults.

WoW has spawned a breed of human that thinks they can say whatever they want online, with no ramifications. Hopefully this is a good wake up call for them.

Yeah, bring down the hammer on dirty words so we can go about killing everything we want in peace, like respectable adults. How dare people try to disrupt our game of glorified violence with their potty mouths.

Posted by: Halmo.8619

Halmo.8619

What you people don’t understand is that you can troll without doing anything against their terms of use and without getting banned. Trolling is what you seem to dislike in MMO’s but it will still exist.

Posted by: Shakkles.7809

Shakkles.7809

Oh yes feel free to slaughter countless thousands mercilessly but don’t you say use a single naughty word or you will be BANNED! And even me, I’m just guessing I might have said “kitten#8221; in one of the whole three conversations i’ve had since I installed the game since I’m sitting here banned and they WONT EVEN TELL ME WHY.

Totally unacceptable. If it turns out people were banned for a borderline puritanical policy of profanity than they need to put a “kitten#8221; warning on the box that says “warning, if you talk to people while killing them you might void your entire $60 purchase instantly without even knowing it”.

Bellok.4180

I spent 4 years in the navy repairing RADAR on F-14’s, and 2 years teaching sailors how to repair cryptographic electronics on board ballistic missile submarines. I am currently employed at Boeing, which deals with the military on a regular basis. The military is different, you follows rules because they will save your life. Following rules for a video game EULA is different because it is not life saving, and those rules in my opinion are always open for discussion.

I can promise you that some butterbar coming out to my position and demanding my boots are clean when I’m knee-deep in mud constantly is not going to save my life. Perhaps my experience in a combat platoon in the Army differs a bit from yours as a Navy technician.

Corporate rules are always open for negotiation. And the corporation who set the rules may always exercise their right to impose the consequences for the rules as set, and “give your suggestions the due consideration they deserve.”

That is why you have two sets of boots, a nice set, and your work set.

Impaler.6204

Yeah, bring down the hammer on dirty words so we can go about killing everything we want in peace, like respectable adults. How dare people try to disrupt our game of glorified violence with their potty mouths.

Well said.

Shakkles.7809

Testing my new signature. I recommend that all who find themselves afflicted by the same curse do the same.

Posted by: Gnivil.5789

Gnivil.5789

Can someone just answer me, from a completely objective standpoint, what exactly is wrong with swearing (as long as you’re not using it to directly offending someone such as “You’re an f-ing s- head”)?

Impaler.6204

Can someone just answer me, from a completely objective standpoint, what exactly is wrong with swearing (as long as you’re not using it to directly offending someone such as “You’re an f-ing s- head”)?

If your saying it for all players to see, then no. If your saying it in party or guild to someone you know wont be offended, i don’t see why not.

I would like to hear if people are getting banned for swearing in party/whisper/guild or if they were in /map.

CalvinHobbes.3541

Well said.

Just to clarify. I was using sarcasm.

Shakkles.7809

Oh and of course it won’t even display my signature even though all it says is “Currently BANNED with no explanation as to how or why within my first 20 levels”. I wonder, is the word “Nazi” censored out? If not, boy that sure seems applicable.

Posted by: Caithe.5314

Caithe.5314

people just need to be more aware these days of what they do =P

Posted by: Ralsti.2147

Ralsti.2147

I have been banned for “defrauding someone of in-game items, currency, or services”. I have not had one single interaction with ANY player involving in-game items currency or services. I have simply been leveling on my own, been in a party ONCE with a RL friend and we didn’t even play together, just used party chat. On top of this I was banned after not playing for 48 hours and then logged in to find out I was suspended with 61 hour still left. This makes no sense and I have been waiting 48 hours for at least an explanation of what I did to warrant a 72 hour suspension. This is a bigger joke the Diablo3 thus far.

Shakkles.7809

Caithe, you’re a fanboy who will defend anything that’s done to you or others. No game and I mean NO game should be banning people for language when there’s a profanity filter in place unless they overtly subvert the filter. If you disagree, you are wrong.

Bellok.4180

Having shiny boots in the military is not life saving, and as you are a fanatic about potty language, there are fanatics about shiny boots in the military. Typically butter bars have just got out of their ocs and are still hardcore. There is a lesson with shiny boots however, it shows that you have pride in your work. You take the time to polish all aspects of your life. To have unpolished boots shows that butter bar that you have no pride, and not enough respect for him/her to keep them polished.

mcl.9240

I don’t know about you, but I don’t hump my locker to the field.

Posted by: Eochaidh.4106

Eochaidh.4106

Just learn to behave. Excuses at trying to make poor behavior legitimate are pathetic at best. I’m glad that they’re banning people who can’t interact with others in a civil manner. Take it as an opportunity to learn a new lesson.

And nothing is more civil than killing everything you see on your screen. Just don’t say a dirty word.

Except you’re killing imaginary things that behave artificially as dictated by computer software. When you talk in-game, you’re dealing with real people. And really, what you do in the game is no excuse of how you behave in the community, that excuse is plain ludicrous.

Bellok.4180

Maybe you should try, you might get a commendation, and better yet a higher eval that will help you get promoted so that you are no longer just a low life to a butter bar, but someone worth his salt……

Bellok.4180

Except you’re killing imaginary things that behave artificially as dictated by computer software. When you talk in-game, you’re dealing with real people. And really, what you do in the game is no excuse of how you behave in the community, that excuse is plain ludicrous.

Let me refrase….

mcl.9240

Having shiny boots in the military is not life saving, and as you are a fanatic about potty language, there are fanatics about shiny boots in the military. Typically butter bars have just got out of their ocs and are still hardcore. There is a lesson with shiny boots however, it shows that you have pride in your work. You take the time to polish all aspects of your life. To have unpolished boots shows that butter bar that you have no pride, and not enough respect for him/her to keep them polished.

When I’m in the field, the last thing I’m going to do is have a highly-reflective surface on my body.

Perhaps you and I have a different definition of “in the field” as well. When I say it, I mean hunkered down in a foxhole, with a humvee camo’d some distance away, watching for enemy aircraft (many of which use FLiR, in my particular case). Ask me how much I want a reflecting surface giving away my position.

Tell me how “life-saving” that reflective surface is.

The point I was trying to make is that you used a poor analogy to begin with, but I played along for a second to demonstrate that even in your analogy, ridiculous rules are enforced. Do I get to ignore the butterbar? No, I have to appease him or avoid him. Or man up and suffer the consequences of ignoring him. I don’t have to like it, but I’m not going to run around putting blame on anyone but myself, because I evaluated the situation, I knew my options, and I made a choice. That choice came with consequences. Those consequences are nobody’s fault but my own.

And, bringing this back to the original point, in the game, you have to either appease ArenaNet (by abiding by their rules, no matter how ridiculous you think they’re being) or avoid ArenaNet (by not playing GW2). Or suffer the consequences.

Bellok.4180

What about the people behind the avatars that you are killing during pvp? Those avatars represent someone you are competing against.

Impaler.6204

Maybe you should try, you might get a commendation, and better yet a higher eval that will help you get promoted so that you are no longer just a low life to a butter bar, but someone worth his salt……

LOL, your entire reputation and respect of your fellow peers is based solely on the shine of your boots! You think that butter bar is going to be worrying about how shiny peoples boots are when gunfire and missiles are landing near him?

Worrying about shiny boots is something you would do when your not at war and your on an ego trip.

Bellok.4180

When I’m in the field, the last thing I’m going to do is have a highly-reflective surface on my body.

Perhaps you and I have a different definition of “in the field” as well. When I say it, I mean hunkered down in a foxhole, with a humvee camo’d some distance away, watching for enemy aircraft (many of which use FLiR, in my particular case). Ask me how much I want a reflecting surface giving away my position.

The point I was trying to make is that you used a poor analogy to begin with, but I played along for a second to demonstrate that even in your analogy, ridiculous rules are enforced. Do I get to ignore the butterbar? No, I have to appease him or avoid him. Or man up and suffer the consequences of ignoring him. I don’t have to like it, but I’m not going to run around putting blame on anyone but myself, because I evaluated the situation, I knew my options, and I made a choice. That choice came with consequences. Those consequences are nobody’s fault but my own.

And, bringing this back to the original point, in the game, you have to either appease ArenaNet (by abiding by their rules, no matter how ridiculous you think they’re being) or avoid ArenaNet (by not playing GW2). Or suffer the consequences.

That butterbar is directly responsible for your life, and regardless of whether his commands make sense or not you follow them to the T. If he/she gets his squad killed it is solely on that person, and if they survive any pending attack they will have to live with that fact. There is also something called a chain of command, if you have concerns about the safety of this junior officer, there is always someone senior to him.

mcl.9240

That butterbar is directly responsible for your life, and regardless of whether his commands make sense or not you follow them to the T. If he/she gets his squad killed it is solely on that person, and if they survive any pending attack they will have to live with that fact. There is also something called a chain of command, if you have concerns about the safety of this junior officer, there is always someone senior to him.

No, I’m directly responsible for my life. That butterbar shouldn’t even be in a forward position. You clearly never mastered the “smile and nod” approach to handling junior officers. Or…let me guess: you were a Naval officer?

Of course, that same butterbar led a tank battalion into East Germany during peacetime after ordering radio silence, so nobody could point out that he’d just committed an act of war.

Posted by: Rabbiddog.7690

Rabbiddog.7690

If you guys give me the character name, I’ll post what you said.

I believe it was Cash Money, and if it wasn’t that, then No Friends

LOL! This is actually quite funny. I know your toon name well (Cash Money) because you were one of the first people added to my ignore list. And I’m no prude, far from it. Perhaps that should tell you something. Just sayin

Bellok.4180

LOL, your entire reputation and respect of your fellow peers is based solely on the shine of your boots! You think that butter bar is going to be worrying about how shiny peoples boots are when gunfire and missiles are landing near him?

Worrying about shiny boots is something you would do when your not at war and your on an ego trip.

Listen you follow commands to the T when it comes to an officer, if there is room for significant risk of life when it is un needed you are free to climb up the chain of command. Good luck with that though you are going to end up pissing that person off and will pay for it in the end anyways. Therefore keep your boots shiny, they are responsible for your life.

CalvinHobbes.3541

Not ludicrous at all. Just because people have become so desensitized to violence doesn’t make violent acts any less potentially offensive. And the fact that it’s simulated violence doesn’t change that. Why do you think that warning labels are required for simulated violence on the packaging of video games?

mcl.9240

Listen you follow commands to the T when it comes to an officer, if there is room for significant risk of life when it is un needed you are free to climb up the chain of command. Good luck with that though you are going to end up pissing that person off and will pay for it in the end anyways. Therefore keep your boots shiny, they are responsible for your life.

You sidestepped my direct question, but based on your assertions, I’m going to go with the assumption that you were indeed an officer in the Navy.

Bellok.4180

No, I’m directly responsible for my life. That butterbar shouldn’t even be in a forward position. You clearly never mastered the “smile and nod” approach to handling junior officers. Or…let me guess: you were a Naval officer?

Of course, that same butterbar led a tank battalion into East Germany during peacetime after ordering radio silence, so nobody could point out that he’d just committed an act of war.

He very well should not be in a forward position, however being in charge of one is not easy either. I always thought looking upward that making the decisions would be easy, until I actually got there. Then I realised that I made my decisions when they were hindsight before and because I knew the outcome it was easy to make the right decision.

Posted by: Notintheface.3472

Notintheface.3472

it’s more than mildly amusing a few of these that are banned “unjustly” admit they were using racial slurs, or “I don’t remember if I did” as opposed to “Of course not!”, which is in the TOS of every retail MMO in existence. They actually think they’ll be taken seriously trying to persuade GW2 staff on what’s unfair. Oh yea and the severity of the consequences should be on a sliding scale that adapts to my days off from work. You want a warning, since when is this kindergarten?

The funniest part though is the whole “I pay my hard earned money to just relax with friends, you’re spoiling my fun”. So did the black guy who sees the N word in chat a few times daily. Please tell me you clowns are just venting, and aren’t actually stupid enough to think you have a valid argument. It’s not only a joke based on the fact you “signed” an agreement, but silly compared to how civilized people should act outside of a game. I probaby drop an F bomb every few sentences but if I got banned for it I’d feel so embarrassed afterwards if I got mad enough to come here looking for pity. Right now I’m even embarrassed FOR you.

(edited by Notintheface.3472)

Bellok.4180

When black people stop using the N word on themselves, will be the day I take that word seriously. I don’t use it personally, but it’s hard to be sympathetic to them when they allow others in their own community to freely abuse it.

Notintheface.3472

When black people stop using the N word on themselves, will be the day I take that word seriously. I don’t use it personally, but it’s hard to be sympathetic to them when they allow others in their own community to freely abuse it.

/yawn saw that coming. “Context”, google it. and btw, it’s still against TOS if a living breathing black person says it in game.

Impaler.6204

Your actually very wrong. You don’t follow “an” officers order to the T.

Technically, you only have to follow an officers order to the T, when they are in your direct chain of command. If I’m in Squadron 545 and an officer comes over from Squadron 546, i don’t have to follow his orders. he will have to contact an officer in my chain of command to get his command authorized for me to follow.

The only exception to this rule is in combat. In combat, officers orders are to be followed regardless of chain of command, and all orders must be lawful and in the performance of duties. An officer can not order me to go shine my boots if we are in combat, nor would they.

(edited by Impaler.6204)

Rabbiddog.7690

/yawn saw that coming. “Context”, google it

The problem is, they often use it in the same ‘context’ when angry at one another. So not accepting this ‘context’ spin. I take the word seriously (I’m Mexican and been called it a few times, by family even). But when it is used by the very same people, and in the same context, who should be the last ones ever using it, it only perpetuates the use of the word by others. You can spin it any way you want, it still comes out the same.

Impaler.6204

The problem is, they often use it in the same ‘context’ when angry at one another. So not accepting this ‘context’ spin. I take the word seriously (I’m Mexican and been called it a few times, by family even). But when it is used by the very same people, and in the same context, who should be the last ones ever using it, it only perpetuates the use of the word by others. You can spin it any way you want, it still comes out the same.

Why would anyone want to use the n word? Who cares?

I don’t understand why non-blacks get so upset when they can’t have something that blacks have. You’ve got plenty of stuff, why can’t you just let it go? I can’t use the n* word , I can’t compete in the Miss Black Universe pageant (for any number of reasons), and I will never appear in a profile in Ebony magazine. So what? I’ve gotten past it, why can’t you?

Get over it.

Rabbiddog.7690

I don’t understand why non-blacks get so upset when they can’t have something that blacks have. You’ve got plenty of stuff, why can’t you just let it go? I can’t use the word n*, I can’t compete in the Miss Black Universe pageant (for any number of reasons), and I will never appear in a profile in Ebony magazine. So what? I’ve gotten past it, why can’t you?

Get over it.

Apparently you never even read my reply. My response had nothing to do with “wanting” something they have. It was in response to someone claiming that one race using a certain derogatory word is different in context to another race using the same word. When in fact there is no real difference. It had nothing in the least to do with ‘wanting’ something someone else has. Of course if you actually understood the conversation, or read my reply, you might have gotten the point.

Regardless, I’ll just say goodbye to you, and direct my conversations to others.

Bellok.4180

I don’t understand why non-blacks get so upset when they can’t have something that blacks have. You’ve got plenty of stuff, why can’t you just let it go? I can’t use the n* word , I can’t compete in the Miss Black Universe pageant (for any number of reasons), and I will never appear in a profile in Ebony magazine. So what? I’ve gotten past it, why can’t you?

Get over it.

This is somewhat faulty logic above. You cannot have black people openly using pejoratives towards their own kind, and persecute someone of different race for using it. They must first respect themselves if that word is ever going to be treated as the pejorative as it is. Why is thre a Miss Black Universe? I’m confused, is there a Miss White Universe? Surely if there was a miss White Universe pageant only for white women that would be considered racist, but not so when it’s exclusive only to black women. You are right regarding officers in the military, I was discussing the topic as if the officer was directly over the subordinate.

Impaler.6204

I don’t understand why non-blacks get so upset when they can’t have something that blacks have. You’ve got plenty of stuff, why can’t you just let it go? I can’t use the word n*, I can’t compete in the Miss Black Universe pageant (for any number of reasons), and I will never appear in a profile in Ebony magazine. So what? I’ve gotten past it, why can’t you?

Get over it.

Apparently you never even read my reply. My response had nothing to do with “wanting” something they have. It was in response to someone claiming that one race using a certain derogatory word is different in context to another race using the same word. When in fact there is no real difference. It had nothing in the least to do with ‘wanting’ something someone else has. Of course if you actually understood the conversation, or read my reply, you might have gotten the point.

Regardless, I’ll just say goodbye to you, and direct my conversations to others.

There is a huge difference. Your obviously culturally unaware.

“The issue is more about the history of the n word and how it was used in American society.

N is a shortening of “Nero,” and became known as a word of abuse during the 1950s and 1960s. Remember that in those days even educated blacks were looked down upon and confined to the ghetto. The word was, and still is, used by non-blacks to diminish blacks.

Blacks use the word differently. It is a diminutive to them as well, but suggests familiarity much as we might call someone named David, Davey. They’re saying don’t get uppity to each other, but the person who says it is also black. He’s the same, so he’s a n* too. The word in that context is diminutive but inclusive, reminding the two black men of their shared identity.

A white man who uses the n word can’t do that. He is and always will be seen as a member of the dominant class, the slaveowner rather than the slave. The word can never be inclusive, because the two men don’t share that identity.

Good Bye!

Bellok.4180

Any modification of the N word is inappropriate. It does not matter if it is a black person using it or, a white person. If black people are using it as a form of familiarity amongst themselves then their parents and family who know better are to blame. They have not been educated enough about their own culture to realise that is inappropriate to use. Even worse are those blacks who use it knowing the history behind it, and still use it.

Notintheface.3472

No it’s not the same context. If you swam across a border illegally with your family and one of them later called you a “W.B.”, it’s impossible in a negative context for the insult to have the gravity that it’s intended to, its whole function is to offend coming from someone it does not apply to. They’d just be reminding you of the alienation by someone else, both of you could not possibly convince each other otherwise.

Posted by: Ralsti.2147

Ralsti.2147

A white man who uses the n word can’t do that. He is and always will be seen as a member of the dominant class, the slaveowner rather than the slave. The word can never be inclusive, because the two men don’t share that identity.

Good Bye![/quote]

Are we really talking about slave owners in 2012?

Impaler.6204

Good Bye!

Are we really talking about slave owners in 2012?[/quote]

nope, just discussing the underlying psychology and history associated to the word.

Bellok.4180

There are words that no matter when they are used are inappropriate. The N word is one of them. White boy is different since it can literally be used as a discription of a boy who is white, and in an uninsultive manner. The N word not so much, it is flat out degrading no matter how you use it.