suspended for foul language??

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: hoegarden.4287

hoegarden.4287

So if someone let their house door open, and you break in, and get jailed your argument to get free will be ‘They made a choice to let the door open’ ?
You used inappropriate language, with or without filter. It’s not because there is a filter that you can swear for every word you say in the game. Also if you looked at most of the bans here, you can see that there is almost a zero tolerance on the rules.
You can now spend those lovely 71 hours for dropping some steam, and go punch some punching-bag.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I am guessing you did not read those rules you agreed to before playing the game. Pity, you might have avoided this forced ‘vacation’.

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

Hi all, my first post in here.

Just got thrown out of the game and found out i’d been given a lovely 71 hour suspension for inappropriate language. Just makes me feel all warm and tingly to know that someone from my team did this to me (have a very close match up this week in www).

My question is, if the game has a “#¤%!”%#"!% swearing filter on it, why punish me if some kitten donkey kitten has turned it off and then gets ‘offended’ over my words?
They made a choice to turn it off, i did not do it for them. So i propose my suspension to be removed, and the ‘offended’ to be banned instead on the basis of false report.

that is all.

It’s funny how many times people who get banned for foul language uses this argument and how many times it gets shot down with, “language filter doesn’t mean you have a license to swear”.

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

grrrrrrr, I just got a ticket for peaking through my neighbours window while she was getting dressed. But it isn’t my fault she didn’t closed the curtains properly……..

the swearing filter is no excuse. You agreed to the EULA and Code of conduct when you started playing to not use faul language. Yopu busted and caught red handed. so now sit out your time.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

hoegarden.4287

Yes i understand your point, but why not try to express yourself in a proper manner so you don’t get banned by those who turned it off ?
No swear = no suspension it can’t be more simple

mercury ranique.2170

FYI, they did not just forget to leave the doors and windows open for me to peek in, they opened them up, then started dressing and throwing their stuff up to their lawn.

The language filter is turned on by default.
My point being, they turned them off, then got offended by my language which would be blocked automatically otherwise. And then anonymously reported me and kittened over my weekend.

Yip, and you are going to get a forum ban as well if you continue like this. Just cause kittened is censored, doesnt mean it is allowed.

Writing anything here that is changed into kitten isn’t allowed. It can result in a forum ban when you continue.

in the game you agreed to not use faul language. You did so by accepting the EULA. This is a binding legal agreement you have with Arenanet. There is no excuse for breaking it. You are now temporary suspended. Your account is also flagged. This means if you do not learn and repeat this behaviour you risk longer suspensions including a lifetime suspension.

If you now disagree with the agreement you have you can always break the agreement by stop playing. Just as Arenanet can force that on you through a suspension.

There is simply no excuse for what you did!!

Sorry to bring it this hard and straight forward. You can wait for an arenanet official, but if you simple search the forum you will find out your effort will be futile and in some extreme cases even made the situation worse for the person.

Rules are rules. You can disagree on the rule but thats no excuse to break it.

Posted by: Fu Ling U.6918

Fu Ling U.6918

My point being, they turned them off, then got offended by my language which would be blocked automatically otherwise. And then anonymously reported me and kittened over my weekend.

I had to turn that filter off (my native language is not english and that filter did give me some trouble). It would be nice if you realise that there could be a very good reason for some people to turn that filter off. I’m not amused when I see people cursing and swearing to other people and I will report them (erm…. depending on the language used and agains who that is).
Behave yourself and this won’t be happening to you…. You won’t get a suspension for a slip of the tongue, you have to do some more to get that.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Prepare for the ubiquitous tongue-lashing. =)

Truly, swear all you like in the confines of your home or perhaps, party and guild, but do exercise some restraint when typing in public.

Posted by: Tuck.4095

Tuck.4095

I highly doubt it was the words used but how they were used.

Lafiel.9372

FYI, they did not just forget to leave the doors and windows open for me to peek in, they opened them up, then started dressing and throwing their stuff up to their lawn.

The language filter is turned on by default.

Just fyi, your language was most likely directed at a person to get banned for foul language. It’s usually offensive language, and targeted at individuals. Try not to call people you kitten kitten kitten and learn to be constructive.

Lafiel.9372

hmm,

it seems that on the process of grieving, i was on step 2 when i wrote my first post, 3th when i wrote my rebuttal and after watching a lot of kitten (not kitten, but baby cat) videos on youtube, i am on step 5. Having poured about 1700 hours into this game, i just must accept that for this weekend gw2 wont be part of my life. I might actually go out for a first time in months and hit a bar or two. Yes. Maybe something good will come of this, and hopefully i wont wake up in the ER or jail.

Still i wish the person offended would have just whispered to stop being a kitten before reporting and ruining everything for me.

And tokittenLing U : i had not even considered that it would be like that for some languages. I play in EU region (Gandara ftw), and certainly i have seen some funny named people, who’s name would be considered very rude in my native language. Funny.

And Eulas…pffft. Who reads those anyway?

I read the EULA, and their naming policy, and some other things they let us read. I’m sure most serious players would read the EULA carefully. I’ve seen a lot of people get smacked hard because they didn’t realise they were breaking gw2 policies (guild deletes etc… long debate about it, basically people who quote links that they haven’t read and yeah…) Maybe since you’ve got another 60 hrs to go, you should read up on their policies to make sure you don’t get another infraction

mercury ranique.2170

hmm,

it seems that on the process of grieving, i was on step 2 when i wrote my first post, 3th when i wrote my rebuttal and after watching a lot of kitten (not kitten, but baby cat) videos on youtube, i am on step 5. Having poured about 1700 hours into this game, i just must accept that for this weekend gw2 wont be part of my life. I might actually go out for a first time in months and hit a bar or two. Yes. Maybe something good will come of this, and hopefully i wont wake up in the ER or jail.

Still i wish the person offended would have just whispered to stop being a kitten before reporting and ruining everything for me.

And tokittenLing U : i had not even considered that it would be like that for some languages. I play in EU region (Gandara ftw), and certainly i have seen some funny named people, who’s name would be considered very rude in my native language. Funny.

And Eulas…pffft. Who reads those anyway?

I actually read/scan trough the EULA before I accept it.
But you are right, a lot of people don’t.

Gaile Gray?? I know you have too many sticky’s, but maybe a top 10 list of reasons you can get banned for? or maybe a yearly news-article with this info and the amount of ban’s. On one hand it is a reminder what is allowed and not allowed, and on the other hand you show the community what you are doing to keep the community nice and clean??

Anyways, that as a sidestep.

I am glad that you see the postive side and accept your ‘faith’.
I know I can be harsh on people here. But you just earned my respect and my faith in humanity is a lil bit restored.

BTW: indeed Gandara rules!! (yes, I was in WvWvW yesterday eve, no I cant recall negative language ,but I dont know what time it was and wich map)

Posted by: gassy.8975

gassy.8975

I turn off the filters because sometimes it blocks “normal” words that happen to contain obscenities inside the words. My turning off the chat filter doesn’t mean I want to read people’s angst-ridden flames.

Posted by: Snow White.9680

Snow White.9680

What exactly did you say? lol

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You just never learn. Well, this thread will soon be locked if not deleted. Perhaps, anger management might be of some service. Good luck on not getting perma-banned after this display.

mercury ranique.2170

Kitten is all that is left in this world.

I just had a guildmate who is nicked kitten that was in the (Super adventure) Box. It reminded me bout bonsai kittens: http://serbiananimalsvoice.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/bonsaikitten.jpg?w=468

( I know im old remembering those meme’s, but Anet did put up the box in rata sum, and they made the kitten be kitten.)

Posted by: Loli Ruri.8307

Loli Ruri.8307

Turning swear filters off doesn’t mean you get a free pass to go against the rules. I hope this lesson teaches you that. Besides, it’s not like we need to use those words to communicate frustrations anyways, right?

Intel Core i7 4790K @4.7 GHz, 32 GB 2133 MHz DDR3.
MSI GTX 1080 Sea Hawk EK X 2xSLI 2025 / 11016 MHz, liquid cooling custom loop.
Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB. HTC Vive.

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

I have noticed that when people are talking trash in map chat and someone asks them to stop, it usually ends up as an unpleasant argument. Those of us not participating in the argument still have to see it while watching for more useful chat. I would guess that no one said anything to you about it because of the risk of it deteriorating into a nasty argument.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

Posted by: Ari Kagura.9182

Ari Kagura.9182

Sometimes, it may not be straight-up blatant curse words, but seemingly innocent words strung together to make it look offending. As in that the profanity filter doesn’t filter it because the words by themselves aren’t curse words.

In most cases, you just have to be a bit more tactful of what comes out of your mouth when speaking in the public channels. You can talk trash amongst your friends and close guildmates, but if some outsider takes your “in-jokes” as somewhat offensive, then you’ll probably get reported for it.

“I control my fate!” — Claire Farron
I am Fleeting Flash, in-game dungeon cosplayer of Reddit Refugees [RR] .

Posted by: Rajani Isa.6294

Rajani Isa.6294

I have noticed that when people are talking trash in map chat and someone asks them to stop, it usually ends up as an unpleasant argument. Those of us not participating in the argument still have to see it while watching for more useful chat. I would guess that no one said anything to you about it because of the risk of it deteriorating into a nasty argument.

If they being repetitive/incessant in their language, I’ll report.

I always call out to ask them to stop first, however. If they get bad, that’s what ignore is for. Plus sometimes it gets amusing (“I don’t need to follow your made-up rules!” “I didn’t make them up, Anet did. links”) – however, I do try to get them to calm down

Posted by: LeCreaux.3087

LeCreaux.3087

You won’t get a suspension for a slip of the tongue

How do they know if you typed with your tongue? IMO, there’s no such thing as a “slip” when you’re typing. If you spelled it, you dealt it.

Posted by: Rajani Isa.6294

Rajani Isa.6294

1859893kittenLing U.6918:

How do they know if you typed with your tongue? IMO, there’s no such thing as a “slip” when you’re typing. If you spelled it, you dealt it.

While the nature of the Internet makes repercussions more likely (in a way) you can still have a metaphorical slip of the tongue while typing. It’s the equivalent of being made, or such, and punching the wall. Not a great idea, but sometimes you do it before you stop yourself.

Posted by: gassy.8975

gassy.8975

While the nature of the Internet makes repercussions more likely (in a way) you can still have a metaphorical slip of the tongue while typing. It’s the equivalent of being made, or such, and punching the wall. Not a great idea, but sometimes you do it before you stop yourself.

How is it possible to spend time and effort typing something without realizing you’re doing it? Speech is natural. Typing is not.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

How is it possible to spend time and effort typing something without realizing you’re doing it? Speech is natural. Typing is not.

A combination of poor impulse control and a person who thinks nothing of cussing another person out over a trivial matter.

LeCreaux.3087

1859893kittenLing U.6918:

This assumes the existence of a “stop yourself” instinct. For those who lack it, suspensions provide the hot stove.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

The OP’s post did not mention whether they were swearing AT one of their teammates. There is difference between saying, “Aw kitten, I missed the last jump for the JP! I was SO CLOSE! God kitten kitten it!” and “You kittenkittenfuzzykitten, I hope your kitten rots off and you have to lick it up, you kitten!!”

The language filter is there to allow for people who are OK with seeing swear words; it does NOT give you license to abuse other people or act like a kitten. I strongly suspect that the OP was suspended because he/she was doing the latter.

Posted by: Loli Ruri.8307

Loli Ruri.8307

Yeah but Zaxares, some people report you for language even if you smacked your toe when returning to the computer and expressed your discomfort in colorful language. And the reason why that ban happens is, it’s against the rules.

Intel Core i7 4790K @4.7 GHz, 32 GB 2133 MHz DDR3.
MSI GTX 1080 Sea Hawk EK X 2xSLI 2025 / 11016 MHz, liquid cooling custom loop.
Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB. HTC Vive.

Astral Projections.7320

The OP’s post did not mention whether they were swearing AT one of their teammates. There is difference between saying, “Aw kitten, I missed the last jump for the JP! I was SO CLOSE! God kitten kitten it!” and “You kittenkittenfuzzykitten, I hope your kitten rots off and you have to lick it up, you kitten!!”

The language filter is there to allow for people who are OK with seeing swear words; it does NOT give you license to abuse other people or act like a kitten. I strongly suspect that the OP was suspended because he/she was doing the latter.

As OP himself said, 16 posts down (I haven’t figured out how to multi quote)
“To Lafiel : my language was directed for the enemy server zergs, who greatly outnumbers us in the late late night and early mornings. I’m getting tired of it really.
And yes, it was quite foul language.”

So it was both directed at other people and it was “quite foul language”. And it was directed at other people because they were winning a match, not because they did something specifically directed at him that made him lose his temper.

hoegarden.4287

Maybe he has some kind of muscle-memory (Yes that exists on wikipedia xD) and he have typed the words so many times before that he don’t remember what the hands are doing when the eyes are closed.

Astral Projections.7320

Maybe he has some kind of muscle-memory (Yes that exists on wikipedia xD) and he have typed the words so many times before that he don’t remember what the hands are doing when the eyes are closed.

Kind of like playing the piano? Where a stream of bad words is his signature song. ^^

LeCreaux.3087

See HERE or HERE

GW2 doesn’t treat the filter like other MMOs do. Foul language will get you suspended. The filter is to protect other players — not to enable profanity.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Language was really bad. The suspension was utterly deserved. End of story.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet