A Light in the Darkness - Quest Breaking Bug!

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: ToxicToothpick.4396

ToxicToothpick.4396

[ Spoilers will be here! ]

I have attempted the story quest “A Light in the Darkness” (Level 55) twice now, and have no had the heart to do so again since.
Both times the issue arose from the Necromancer Slyvari (forget his name!) not talking to the Pale Tree Avatar when approached.
The first time was just outside what appeared to be a crypt, and the second time was just before it shows the ghosts of Destiny’s Edge arguing.

Both times I was unable to continue and had to relog, getting booted from the instance and having to start the entire quest over again.

ToxicToothpick.4396

Welp, just tried a third time.
It worked up to the catacombs, and then I got disconnected and before I could see if it would get stuck again. So that means I have done this quest 3 times, and am finding it very hard to bring myself to go for a 4th.

Posted by: Vertixico.4805

Vertixico.4805

Jepp, happend to me, too. Tried it two times and the avatar didn’t react to my or the sylvaris presence. Happend at different points of the Event, once at the very beginning and another time after the first battle one witnesses.

Posted by: Rund.7062

Rund.7062

just got stuck at this quest also, just after the big battle with all the ghost (just after you watched trahearne do his general speech). I have killed everything and now nothing happens, all the ghost just stand there…

Posted by: Meverah.9461

Meverah.9461

I am also stuck here.

ToxicToothpick.4396

I did it a a 4th and 5th time.
No bug but I disconnected both times (once was my own internet) and had to restart both times.

Don’t want to try again because I suspect I will just encounter the bug again.

Posted by: HotHit.6783

HotHit.6783

I’ve also run into this issue. While I’ve only attempted once, I found the point where you fight a whole bunch of risen took a very long time to update, so I was running around the circled area looking for any risen I may have missed. I later reached the crypts and defeated the Eye of Zhaitan with no problems, until I reached the next point in the quest. When approaching the Avatar of the Tree boss music began to play (i.e. My BossBattle playlist) and Trahearne refused to speak with her, nor could I speak with her. I couldn’t get the boss music to end no matter what (I even successfully attempted suicide) and nothing I tried let the event continue.

Never Fight Alone” – Sunspear Creed
There, it’s dead and it’s never coming back!” – Famous last words

Posted by: Leo.6817

Leo.6817

For a few days now I have been stuck on this quest, unable to proceed with my personal story. As you progress through the story and reach the stage where Trahearne’s future self is giving his ‘general’ speech and you proceed to help destroy the risen army, the quests seems to become bugged.

After defeating all the risen in the area you are prompted to continue on to the next location of the Avatar of the Tree, however when you reach her, Trahearne does not speak to her as he did before, nor can you interact with her in anyway, and so you cannot continue on with the quest.

Please fix this, I am quickly out-leveling my personal story and missing out on it and its rewards by being blocked.

Short Summary of Bug: Trahearne does not speak with Avatar of the tree and so progress through the quest is blocked.

Posted by: Latinkuro.9420

Latinkuro.9420

At the end of the instance when fighting the guardian of the gate, the Boss did no damage to me at all it was odd, than after coming out to speak with the avatar of the pale tree at the grove again to finish the quest it crashes, the most annoying thing is it doesn’t save my progress I have to do it all over again from scratch…..!

Posted by: Minos.1364

Minos.1364

Both times the issue arose from the Necromancer Slyvari (forget his name!) not talking to the Pale Tree Avatar when approached.
The first time was just outside what appeared to be a crypt, and the second time was just before it shows the ghosts of Destiny’s Edge arguing.

just got this

also couldn’t get my buddy in this mission , the invite screen just didn’t show up

Posted by: SuburbanLion.8095

SuburbanLion.8095

Trahearne got stuck outside of the crypt on this mission today, despite the patch notes saying this quest was fixed on the 8th. On the second time through, I deliberately avoided talking to Trahearne at all (looted extra carefully) and didn’t stray too far from the main road, and was able to complete the mission. This might be something worth trying if he won’t talk to the Pale Tree for you.

Posted by: Bashii.5210

Bashii.5210

I too had the problem of nothing happening after the big battle. However, after searching around nearby, I found one risen stuck on some environment, once I killed him the story continued with no problems right through to completion.

Hope this helps someone!

Posted by: Bibje.7216

Bibje.7216

I still got the stuck bug, I run towards the avater of the tree and nothing happens. At the crypt it is.

Posted by: mourneuk.6782

mourneuk.6782

Stuck for me also, at the promenade of the gods where the majestic music starts playing. Beautiful soundtrack, but this quest is sokittentedious I won’t be doing it again. Washed out colours and grey names do nothing for me but make me bored.

edit: forum changed the word “d a m n” to kitten for some reason. Note to mods, this word is NOT a profanity.

Posted by: XalteraxD.7045

XalteraxD.7045

Took me 2 tries, but I did get through it on the 2nd attempt. If Trahearn gets stuck, log off and back in, and try again. My advice is start doing story with friends, or find other players in Lion’s Arch who are on the same step / choices as you, if possible. I enjoy the stories so seeing aspects of each one in a diverse party isn’t really bad anyhow, and offer a lot of crafting drops. As a warning, at 55+ the stories start throwing so many enemies at you that you’ll want to bring a friend anyhow just to curb the difficulty some.

I’m up to 72 now (story) level 80 character, and I can say that I am more than happy to wait for my buddies to mess with my story, than to try and do it alone.

Posted by: EXAR.7963

EXAR.7963

It’s bugged for me as well. Ive spent 30 minutes going through this quest and it’s bugged out in two different locations.

Posted by: Daemonium Noctis.7512

Daemonium Noctis.7512

Bugged here too, will try going through it with a guildie soon

Posted by: Conduction.7143

Conduction.7143

I’m now stuck on this quest, though not the same bug as you guys. I beat the gate keeper and the quest updated to speak to the pale tree back in the grove. However after being teleported back to the grove, I was then forced back to where I just was with no way of getting out. Really irritating when this quest is long and boring as hell.

Posted by: Elaphe.8490

Elaphe.8490

I’m stuck too. Same problem, Trahearne won’t talk to the tree and let me proceed to the next step.

Posted by: Merendin.6934

Merendin.6934

There might be a fix for this bug. I encountered it for first time. It seems that if you take shortcut and go directly towards next point Trahearna will miss one replique causing quest to bug. Fix this by following road.

Posted by: Gita.7815

Gita.7815

At the end of the instance when fighting the guardian of the gate, the Boss did no damage to me at all it was odd, than after coming out to speak with the avatar of the pale tree at the grove again to finish the quest it crashes, the most annoying thing is it doesn’t save my progress I have to do it all over again from scratch…..!

Same problem here. After coming out to speak with the avatar of the pale tree at the grove to finish the quest it crashes. Error note says i got disconnected. I tryed to finish this quest several times and game crashes in the same moment every time. I`m sure it`s not my internet connection problem.

Posted by: Lakhla.9183

Lakhla.9183

Got the same problem. After relog I spoke again to Pale Mother before entring portal. Im not sure If it is a coincidence but everything went smoothly. Quest Finished.

Best regards

Posted by: Fizzeltop.8307

Fizzeltop.8307

I to got stuck at the tunnel. I selected “Log Out” and logged out of the game. Of course this started me back in the Grove. When I went back in I followed the advice of a poster and went through all the cut scences fully and then talked to the Pale Mother and went through all the things I could ask her about then entered the portal. Inside the portal I never once talked to the companion NPC that runs around with you. Any time he wanted to talk to me I always stopped and let him finish fully.

I thought I was toast in the giant battle as I killed everything but the groups split up into 2 groups and just stood there with no Pale Mother. I ran back to where the group of fighters that joined me for the fight started in the mustering area and then back to the two groups which seemed to spawn a couple of extra mobs. Once those where cleaned up it worked.

Make sure when you are listening to the 3 groups of 2 NPCs talk after this phase that you don’t talk to the NPCs and wait in that area for the companion NPC to say his lines before advancing to the graveyard. Hope this is helpful.

Never ran into the bug of crashing after the Gatekeeper. My advice is to run everything in low resolution for this or pick best performance.

Posted by: MadHatter.1782

MadHatter.1782

I can totally agree to Fizzeltop.8307’s post, got bugs three times, the fourth time it worked.
Be careful to:
- go trough every scene completely – I’ve not even clicked next
- go trough every option when you talk to a NPC
- never talk to your sylvari companion (Trahearne)
- whenever Trahearne says something, immediately stop and wait till his finished

Credits to Fizzletop, finally I could finish this part of the story.

Posted by: Orca.6948

Orca.6948

MadHatter/Fizzeltop’s advice worked for me too. Bugged on pass 1, worked on 2.

Posted by: jenk.3540

jenk.3540

Still bugged today.

Posted by: DuusDendowen.9658

DuusDendowen.9658

I tried twice in the last 24 hours, I get BLACK SCREENED right after the Eye monster and talk with the King. Have to hard reboot my machine. Really don’t want to attempt until I know it’s fixed.

DuusDendowen.9658

Just completed this quest. Funny thing is I did it on my 3 year old MacBook Pro running BootCamp/Windows7. Graphics all on LOW, no shadows, no anti-aliasing.

Posted by: Veritus.2839

Veritus.2839

Got stuck after the battle scene. The ghosts just stand there.

Posted by: SoulStone.2745

SoulStone.2745

just got stuck at this quest also, just after the big battle with all the ghost (just after you watched trahearne do his general speech). I have killed everything and now nothing happens, all the ghost just stand there…

I got stuck at this same point. But after 15 or 20 minutes the quest automagically moved on to the next goal.

Posted by: IsisDenile.8143

IsisDenile.8143

I’m also stuck in this one – my pc has shut off (literally) 3 times in this story line mission. Tech support had me update my GPU driver, but this is the only place in the game that my computer does this, so I doubt it is my driver or hardware. It is always as I enter a cave… My husband made it through this one but said it was very buggy toward the end.

DuusDendowen.9658

I had my Nvidia GTX 260 updated with beta/latest drivers and still no go. I used another machine on all low or off settings. especially off on bloom/shadows and it worked. Some glitch there. Good Luck everyone.

IsisDenile.8143

I had my Nvidia GTX 260 updated with beta/latest drivers and still no go. I used another machine on all low or off settings. especially off on bloom/shadows and it worked. Some glitch there. Good Luck everyone.

Thanks for this! Mine is an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870, and despite its ability to handle high settings quite well, I usually run with medium or low, so maybe I will try: 1) adjusting the settings down to low or off for this 1 mission and 2) running in windowed mode for this mission (as I’ve also heard from friends that can help). I’ll post later today if it worked. If not, I’ll post anyway but you may have interpret through my tears and sobbing. ^-^

IsisDenile.8143

Here is my update, as promised. I reduced my graphics to Low/None for most categories and ran the mission in windowed mode (not windowed full-screen). The first time, I made it past the tomb where I’d previously crashed but, after killing the Guardian, it did not return me to the Grove. I tried again, and this time was able to complete the mission. Whew. Now, reverting graphics back to bearable levels.

Posted by: Tayledras.1604

Tayledras.1604

If you want peace, prepare for war.

Posted by: Macro.2807

Macro.2807

This is bugged for me as well. Nothing happens when I approach the Pale Tree in the vision.

Posted by: Meow.9081

Meow.9081

I’ve had the same problem. After I walk up a set of grand stairs accompanied by grand music, the quest does not proceed. I walk up to the green quest marker, but my character does not talk to the Avatar of the Tree as expected from previous encounters.

I then walk all around the map back and forth but nothing happens. This is disappointing; I think I might just skip the main quest line and level up to 80.

Posted by: Telenn.6945

Telenn.6945

Same problem. Stuck at the staircase with the music and cant trigger the conversation with the pale tree.

Posted by: DeiShala.3825

DeiShala.3825

Still bugged. Got to the Risen Giants battle- killed all the Risen (yes I checked for any that may have bugged out/got stuck outside of the battle). Story tells me to proceed to follow the Pale Tree, but when I get to her nothing happens. This is my third attempt and my last until I see an update or receive a message from tech support telling me it’s fixed.

And for those that want to say just wait and it’ll continue… after the battle I scoured the area for leftover risen, killed all nearby spectral weapons to see if that would work, uncovered all undiscovered portions of the map (this all took about 45 minutes) and then tried death by suicide to see if restarting from a checkpoint would work. Still stuck.

(edited by DeiShala.3825)

Posted by: DeiShala.3825

DeiShala.3825

Well decided to attempt again. Stayed on the road, no shortcuts, didn’t talk or even click on my companion and froze in place any time any sort of dialogue took place for any reason- apparently this is the fix.

Then I get to the Stairs and I get a client error and forced disconnect. This is getting really kitten irritating. 6 attempts now! Can someone throw me a bone and at least let me know if anyone from Anet is aware of the issue? Can I get a free “skip content” button or something? Don’t want to waste another 30-45 minutes for the 6th freaking time!

(edited by DeiShala.3825)

Posted by: nviitsimran.8453

nviitsimran.8453

It’s glitched up to this part I can’t do anything about it..
http://puu.sh/18Qon

Posted by: Krutonius.1285

Krutonius.1285

Still bugged, huge battle against giants and then no interaction between pale mother and follower

Posted by: Coolsvilla.6857

Coolsvilla.6857

I am having this problem as well. Can’t even get past the first part, the Avatar just stands there looking clueless and not talking or moving. I don’t even know what’s supposed to happen next, so I ran around and killed a lot of the mobs, still didn’t help. Have tried this a few times. =\ Lame.

Edit: lol it seems that posting always fixes a problem. I decided to try one last time and this time it seemed to go through without a hitch.

(edited by Coolsvilla.6857)

Posted by: Doc.9328

Doc.9328

I have got the same issues as posted by

Leo.6817:
“For a few days now I have been stuck on this quest, unable to proceed with my personal story. As you progress through the story and reach the stage where Trahearne’s future self is giving his ‘general’ speech and you proceed to help destroy the risen army, the quests seems to become bugged.
After defeating all the risen in the area you are prompted to continue on to the next location of the Avatar of the Tree, however when you reach her, Trahearne does not speak to her as he did before, nor can you interact with her in anyway, and so you cannot continue on with the quest.
Please fix this, I am quickly out-leveling my personal story and missing out on it and its rewards by being blocked.
Short Summary of Bug: Trahearne does not speak with Avatar of the tree and so progress through the quest is blocked.”

Posted by: Iselia.3587

Iselia.3587

This has bugged twice for me now. The first time, after traveling to the vision of the future, Trahearne would not interact with the Pale Tree to advance the quest. I went around killing random mobs, hoping it would trigger but it never did.

The second time, I got all the way to the part where there’s the huge battle versus the Orrians after Trahearne’s speech. I killed all the mobs in that battle and afterward the spectral warriors marched away…then just stopped. The green circle that encloses that battle area stayed on the map like there was still more things for me to kill, but I couldn’t find any. After wandering and looking for stray mobs for about ten minutes, I gave up. Please fix this. :<

Posted by: Chills.6802

Chills.6802

Got stuck as well. That’s why I did a search on Google about it to check if the bug appaeared for more. This thread came up first (which makes it a known issue, I’d say). I don’t see any response from A-net. That’s ok, happens to a lot of threads. But further on in the google search I came across this thread on GW2GURU
Could we get some response here, in the actual official forums as well?

To elaborate. I got stuck with my Mesmer at the part in front of the tomb. The Avatar of the Tree is there. The star on the map points right at her. Trahearne is with me. All enemies are down (went back a couple times to kill of any stragglers). But the Avatar does not respond, nor am I able to talk to her. Only Trahearne.

I previously did the quest on my Thief and had 0 issues at that time (about a month ago)

Posted by: mark.4173

mark.4173

why does the eye always get his health back after you die and go back to fight him this fight either needs to be toned down or fixed

Posted by: Jeffrey Vaughn

Jeffrey Vaughn

Content Designer

Just a quick update, we’re actively looking at this story step to try and figure out the issues.

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

During the battle, when the quest say “follow the pale tree” and ghost seem to do nothing, Look around, there’s a sneaky little risen asura that get stuck on a kind of mound or coral thing. You might need to look up and shoot him to get his attention and have him jump down to attack you.

It happened to me, and my friend said the same thing happened during his quest too, so I imagine this risen asura love the view from this high place.

Posted by: Chills.6802

Chills.6802

Thanks for the response. I did not have a ghost stuck in a tree or other environmental object, since the next part went without problems for me (where the members of Divinity’s Edge are bickering). It’s the part right after that, where the Avatar is standing in front of the tomb that I got stuck in. At that time, I think I strayed from the obvious path too much.

There is an apparant freedom to walk to that tomb. Right after the friendly camp you can go in two directions, both leading to the tomb. One of those is a road that shows on the minimap as well. Following that one should not get you stuck. But (I think) following the other not-so-obvious road can get you stuck.

After I got stuck at the first attempt last night, I did it again, brought some friends to get through it quicker and stayed on the well shown path. That time I finished the quest. To stay on the safe side I let Trahearne finish all his lines and skipped no movies (read in another thread that that could get you stuck as well). Wether it’s straying the path or interrupting the spoken lines that causes the bug is unclear at this point.