[BUG] Party members getting sent to wrong faction when sharing their Personal Story

[BUG] Party members getting sent to wrong faction when sharing their Personal Story

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Shamash.4257

Shamash.4257

I’m creating this thread to raise awareness on this issue, which Arena.net has yet to provide a solution for.

On multiple instances (including my own experience with my fiancee), people who have been sharing their personal stories and doing them together (couples, most of the time) have seen their stories broken and diverged when the leader of the party had to make the option of which faction to join. Example: Leader chooses Order of Whispers, other party members get sent to Vigil (this is what happened to my fiancee).

There have been many tickets created and reports of this happening in this thread: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Did-Part-of-Your-Story-Get-Skipped-or-Changed-Post-here/
but we haven’t got any concrete answer, in fact, the only solution provided has been “Create a new character”, something completely unfair to ask for to paying customers who aren’t hardcore gamers and can’t afford to recreate the characters in which they have spent the few hours they have to play this game.
To make things worse, the thread has been unstickied without an official response to this problem.

If this has happened to you, your SO or a friend, please post here so Arena.net can see the reality of this problem and, hopefully, give us a solution or a workaround.

Please Arena.net, help us with this issue. Our characters said “This is my story”, but this is NOT our story!

Posted by: Jeffrey Vaughn

Jeffrey Vaughn

Content Designer

Next

What race were you playing? From what we’ve seen, only sylvari are running into this issue, so we’re testing a change to prevent this in the future. Unfortunately, we have no way of knowing if a given character chose their order, or was inadvertently sent to the wrong one, so I don’t anticipate a retroactive fix being made.

Shamash.4257

We were playing as sylvari, yes.

My fiancee stopped playing her personal story inmediately after being sent to the Vigil. She didn’t do even one quest of the Vigil line.
Does it matter if she chose being in the Vigil or got sent there by error? We want to continue being in the Order of Whispers together, that’s the reason we bought the game, to play our story together. We just cannot accept the lack of a solution, please, there has to be an answer other than “Tough luck” or “Create another character”.

This is her post in the thread I previously mentioned.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Story-Skipped-or-Changed-Fixed-merged/page/11#post353737

Previous

Jeffrey Vaughn

Content Designer

Next

The problem is that there is literally no difference between a character who intentionally picked the Vigil and one who got sent there by the bug, so there’s simply no way to automatically fix affected characters. Our CS team does not have the ability to change your current quest or order, either, so it’s not something that we can manually fix on a case by case basis, either.

Shamash.4257

Update, this just got posted in another thread:

Now, we are aware that there are a couple of other bugs related to story steps.

1. The first involves a split in parties paths upon selection of one’s Order. I’ll update a separate thread about that and you’ll be happy to know that this one has been repro’d and a fix tentatively developed. Upon successful testing, it will be rolled to live.
  2. The second involves a similar kind of split when the party chooses their greatest fear (at level 70). This fix is under review by QA and the details are not yet fully known. It will be addressed as soon as we are able to replicate and then develop a fix.

Link: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Story-Skipped-or-Changed-merged/354830

I’m very happy to see that a solution is being worked on.
Thank you!

(edited by Shamash.4257)

Shamash.4257

A week has passed and there hasn’t been any updates on this issue…

Shamash.4257

Still no news…
I have PM’d Gaile Gray (https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/members/Gaile-Gray-6028) too, without any answer.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

As you guys have seen, Content Designer Jeffrey Vaughn is providing updates on this topic from time to time, as he is able to do so. Please understand that Jeffrey’s a very busy guy but if there’s news to share, I’m sure he’ll provide that.

Thank you for your patience.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Previous

Jeffrey Vaughn

Content Designer

Next

As far as I know, we’ve squashed the bug that was causing this, so it won’t happen going forward, but as I mentioned above, we have no way to retroactively try to fix characters that are in the wrong order. Sorry!

Shamash.4257

What about fixing the problem on a case-by-case basis? Neither my fiancee or me have progressed with out personal stories since the bug happened to us, so we aren’t reaping any kind of benefits from this.
I am sorry if this sounds harsh, but a simple “Sorry” is not enough. We are paying customers and I feel that we deserve a solution, one which we have been waiting for since September 9.
Why not just send us back to the very first step of our stories? We would take anything that would allow us to progress with OUR GAME and OUR STORIES, without making new characters.
Please don’t tell me that you can’t send us back in our stories, because that has happened with characters who have gotten the “Skipping steps” bug. It doesn’t matter to us if you can’t do it automatically, we want our problem solved and we, as customers from Arena.Net, shouldn’t have to take or accept excuses.

(edited by Shamash.4257)

Posted by: Takeko.8735

Takeko.8735

A case-by-case fix would be ideal, and if it’s made into a simple tool given to support staff I can’t see where it would be much more complicated than the already proven ability to roll-back story-line for everyone hit by the skipping bug. I am also a little surprised the stored data is insufficient to search for two or more characters who completed the mission together but have differing level 30 missions. But if we take as read that neither of those are options how about this for an automated fix:
Since most people affected by this immediately stopped progressing their story-lines, just look for characters on the first Order associated mission who have been there since before the bug fix and revert them to the mission where they choose the Order. Simple, largely effective, and minimal impact to those who purely by happenstance meet whatever criteria are used for the search.

Previous

Jeffrey Vaughn

Content Designer

Next

As I said above, we do not have a way to do that. Customer Support does not have the ability to set your active story step. I don’t have that ability. We also cannot set up an automated solution because there is NO difference between a player who is in (for example) the Vigil because they chose it, and someone who’s in the Vigil because they got accidentally set there. (We were able to automate the “skipped ahead” fix because we could tell if a character had gaps in their story.)

Shamash.4257

If you can’t help us then please, get someone who has the ability to fix this involved with the issue.

Posted by: Toa.3507

Toa.3507

im not to sure if everyone’s bug turned out like mine. Im not playing a Sylvari, i play a Norn. and all parts of my storyline i ran solo.
Up until the end of the battle for Claw island i was running Vigil side quest, and then after, i got kicked to the OoW questline. And now both sides recognize me as a member of their orders. i have the benefits of being in both orders on one Character.
This really seems like something that should be fixed asap, im gonna assume you didnt intend for players to gain the benefits of being in multiple orders.
And just a heads up. If you have the time to remove my ability to pop in and out of either sides HQ’s and buy whichever sides gear that i want, you should have the time to me zap me back to claw island on the correct path that i chose.
And if it doesnt get fixed, i will stop thinking of it as a bug, and consider it a feature

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

As far as I know, we’ve squashed the bug that was causing this, so it won’t happen going forward, but as I mentioned above, we have no way to retroactively try to fix characters that are in the wrong order. Sorry!

Please note Jeffrey Vaughn’s statements above. If your character is in this unusual situation, please note that, with our deep regret, characters in this situation cannot be fixed, moved, reassigned, etc.

Please do not ask for someone else to address the issue, or continue to inquire about when your character’s situation will be remedied. Please give Jeffrey’s comments your attention and make a decision about your character based on what he has stated.

Thank you for understanding.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)