Can't see Vistas on map.`

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: RykenPrime.5760

RykenPrime.5760

On my map I cannot seem to see vistas on my map. My girlfriend can but for some reason I cannot. Like…they’re just not there. I just came back after like 2 years so I know I didn’t disable anything…can anyone help?

Thanks!

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

A couple of possibilities.

First, what level are you? With the new set up, the New Player Experience, there are restrictions on low level players on what they can see on the map.

If it’s not that, try opening up your big map, default key is m.
Check the bottom left corner of the map. There is an icon there, looks sort of like an eye. Click on that. That gives options for various information to show on the map. Make sure vistas are toggled on.

Posted by: Darksquad.5042

Darksquad.5042

I have the same problem, I was playing this game 2 years ago and everything was fine, now I redownload it, open it and there is not vistas, no points of interest either, it also doesn’t show the skills point on the map… But when I open the map, everything seems to be in order like, everything is toggled on … I have no idea what is going on…

Posted by: Apocalypse Ant.1926

Apocalypse Ant.1926

I have that exact same problem, a year ago or so, everything was fine…
Now I cannot see Vistas, Skill nor Interest Points in the Map, my girlfriend can, and we have the same updates installed…

Weird bug, I’ve checked all options possible, in the map, game options, everything… smells like a nasty bug…

Posted by: Jeffrey Vaughn

Jeffrey Vaughn

Content Designer

Next

It’s not a bug. Low level characters will not see map icons for vistas, jumping puzzles, et al to cut down on icon overload. They will display for L10+ characters, and once any character on an account is high enough to see the icons, all characters on the account should see them.

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Is there really such a thing? Why would you lock everything down? The fun of a MMO at first is exploring. Even the day I bought the game I had no problems at all navigating the world map even with the “icon overload”.

Posted by: Elrey.5472

Elrey.5472

Is there really such a thing? Why would you lock everything down? The fun of a MMO at first is exploring. Even the day I bought the game I had no problems at all navigating the world map even with the “icon overload”.

Nobody did, but that’s one of those things that weren’t broken but Anet fixed. I’m really tired now of telling people “is not a buuuuuuug” in the spanish forum (which looks like a dev desert because only the community manager speaks there, and only in 1 each 50 threads asking for help).

Anet, please, put it back like it used to be.

ES Wiki Sysop. Vanquiser of the Marionette, Lover of the Aetherpath.
Aens / Ellantriel / Nao To Mori / Saelyth. Commander
Guias de Raids en español / Spanish raiding guides

Posted by: Jeffrey Vaughn

Previous

Jeffrey Vaughn

Content Designer

You can still explore, and the vistas/et al are still there, but the icons don’t appear on the map for <L10 characters. Not everyone who plays is an MMO veteran, and can find a multitude of different icons in the first 30s of play kind of overwhelming.

Posted by: Sytherek.7689

Sytherek.7689

You can still explore, and the vistas/et al are still there, but the icons don’t appear on the map for <L10 characters. Not everyone who plays is an MMO veteran, and can find a multitude of different icons in the first 30s of play kind of overwhelming.

Isn’t it rather presumptuous to think so low of players? That’s like saying we should hide some road signs from new drivers…

Why not add toggles for various map symbols? I’m a veteran of many decades, and I’d love to turn on and off various map symbols.

Posted by: Plexxing.2978

Plexxing.2978

Wait…there are icons for jumping puzzles?

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

People who struggle with too many icons on a map as large as the starter zones need more than NPE. They need special education.

The entire NPE is ridiculous. All the players know it, and I am sure deep in your hearts, most if not all of the staff know it too.

Go ahead, take a survey in the offices. See how many tick yes to the “Are there too many icons” box.

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

Isn’t it rather presumptuous to think so low of players? That’s like saying we should hide some road signs from new drivers…

Why not add toggles for various map symbols? I’m a veteran of many decades, and I’d love to turn on and off various map symbols.

People who struggle with too many icons on a map as large as the starter zones need more than NPE. They need special education.

The entire NPE is ridiculous. All the players know it, and I am sure deep in your hearts, most if not all of the staff know it too.

Go ahead, take a survey in the offices. See how many tick yes to the “Are there too many icons” box.

Yay, dumb NPE strikes again… Yeah, it seems some devs or someone in staff can’t see these reasons… I still can’t understand how those icons were overwhelming… contrariwise, they can be an incentive to exploring. I NEVER got overwhelmed by those at my first char and I wasn’t a MMO veteran.

Anyway, for a proper discussion on this there is a huge thread already: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/NPE-Feedback-Merged-Please-read-1st-post/

shadow.6174

Wait…there are icons for jumping puzzles?

No, jumping puzzles haven’t any special icons.

shadow.6174

It’s not a bug. Low level characters will not see map icons for vistas, jumping puzzles, et al to cut down on icon overload. They will display for L10+ characters, and once any character on an account is high enough to see the icons, all characters on the account should see them.

Oh one more thing… please tell me how just 5 icons can be “icon overload”? What’s the difficulty on identifying 5 different icons? Doesn’t any child at kindergarten learn way more forms? C’mon. Also, isn’t it more confusing finding it in world and wait 10 levels to figure out what was that about? Seriously, I’m having a really big hard time to understand the NPE purposes itself than understanding the game features instead.

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

Yay, dumb NPE strikes again… Yeah, it seems some devs or someone in staff can’t see these reasons… I still can’t understand how those icons were overwhelming… contrariwise, they can be an incentive to exploring. I NEVER got overwhelmed by those at my first char and I wasn’t a MMO veteran.

Yeah, I am just sitting here… utterly astounded… at that ‘reasoning’ for level locking unnecessary things. Though the stepped progression that means you can go from a 90lb weaking to Mr Apollo just by levelling up mid-fight even more astounding.

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Isn’t having the Vistas in the world but not in the map until a certain level more confusing that simply having the world and map corresponding like they used to?

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

I would like to tell everyone who says NPE sucks and it has dumbed down the game. Well yes as Vaughn said it is made so new players do not get an overcharge of icons. It is made to slow but sure learn the basics of the game. I think that the NPE is realy good and has been a good boost to the playerbase who havent played MMO’s before or even games for that matter. It is not that troublesome for us who have played our whole life iether, vistas for example is unlocked at level 10, that is what? about an hour of gameplay if not less? What is all the fuzz about? I realy do like the NPE since it feels so much more meaningfull to level now and there is more Tasks and more small chest to find and rewards. Some tasks has been made less pointless like the one with Jotuns that you had to trade stuff with. Many says that the new Trait-unlock system is NPE but it is not, if it where I would have said that that is the part with the NPE i do not like.

Anyway, about the point of this thread and what Necromancer Apocalypse Ant.1926 said. When these scarlet invasions where happening during Season 1 my main character couldn’t see where the bosses where but my other characters could and also my Girlfriend could se them. So what Apocalypse Ant.1926 is experiencing is it realy becouse of this NPE thing? I mean Apocalypse Ant.1926 is saying it was fine a year ago, would he have been level 10 by now? But what do I know

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Posted by: Schneider.8615

Schneider.8615

For me it had the opposite effect when I started out a few months back. I played with a friend who already had played for almost half a year and we both started new characters. It was incredibly frustrating for me, hearing about Vistas (and more) but not being able to find them. He tried his best explaining where to look and eventually I gave up and took a screenshot to show him what my map looked like. At that point we realised our maps didn’t look the same and after more talking we assumed it was bugged for me. I was quite annoyed at that point.

And now a few weeks back I met a new player ingame and I tried to explain how things worked, it was really really hard since he could either not see the things (Vistas) and/or access it (PvP, WvW). He mostly wanted to explore the world and complete zones… I had to tell him he couldn’t see map progression yet. :/

All in all, it seems to make new players feel very handicapped compared to the rest. Now in hindsight it doesn’t seem so bad, but during my first and second day I had no idea for how long I would be severly handicapped compared to everyone else. Most people who quit do it early and I was close to being one of them due to the NPE.

(edited by Schneider.8615)

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Well, all I can say is that I see this question pop up on the forums and reddit frequently.

In contrast, I don’t remember a single instance of a new player being confused by seeing these icons on the map, pre-NPE.

I’ll leave it to you to draw any conclusions.

Posted by: Elrey.5472

Elrey.5472

Well, all I can say is that I see this question pop up on the forums and reddit frequently.

In contrast, I don’t remember a single instance of a new player being confused by seeing these icons on the map, pre-NPE.

I’ll leave it to you to draw any conclusions.

Agree with you.

Here are 3 spanish examples of people confused because of this. Considering that the spanish population is less than a 10% of the players… you should put it back how it should soon.

ES Wiki Sysop. Vanquiser of the Marionette, Lover of the Aetherpath.
Aens / Ellantriel / Nao To Mori / Saelyth. Commander
Guias de Raids en español / Spanish raiding guides

shadow.6174

Well, even in the english forum there have been a lot of threads about people suspecting that their map completion might be “broken”…

Anyway, I would like to ask you guys to take this discussion about NPE to its proper thread please, this way we can gather more feedback on this subject: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/NPE-Feedback-Merged-Please-read-1st-post/

Oh and agreed too Pixel..