"Fumble" dodges.

"Fumble" dodges.

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Anicetus.1253

Anicetus.1253

After the skills Whirling Wrath, Binding Blades (Guardian GS), Warrior Axe #2 and Whirlwind Attack and Ranger GS Autoattack third hit, when you dodge your dodge gets interrupted like halfway, endurance goes away but you don’t get evade frames.
Directly after Whirlwind Attack you can’t even dodge without spamming it until all your endurance goes away (sometimes not even then getting evade frames).
All skills but Whirlwind Attack have been bugged for a long time, whirlwind attack just since 15/10th patch. Since 15/10th patch you sometimes even get those fumble dodges when you haven’t been using any skill, like when carrying Blood of the Ancient in Arah Path 1.

Really annoying bug with the games core mechanic, in comparison to all non exploitish bugs this should be priority one. Can’t even believe it hasn’t been fixed (but made worse) in one year.

"Fumble" dodges.

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

Also Counter Blow works like this if you dodge right before it ends or something (not sure about Riposte).

"Fumble" dodges.

Anicetus.1253

Ripostes attack after a block slightly delays it but doesn’t make it a fumble. It’s more like third gs autoattack delaying Whirlwind Attack.

"Fumble" dodges.

Anicetus.1253

Oh, could have added this earlier. Bladetrail/Banner summon delay whirlwind attack, bladetrail+WA sometimes queues it up, making it unusable until it randomly activates. Usially its just finishing the animation before starting WA, already anoying enough.

"Fumble" dodges.

Anicetus.1253

No response/not solved yet.
Bump.

"Fumble" dodges.

Posted by: Bread.7516

Bread.7516

This dodge bug is soooo annoying. It’s surprising that this still persists.

btw, is this the bug that looks like youre dodging in place? your character does the animation but barely moves in distance, takes endurance, and has no dodge frames.

http://youtu.be/wmmATRivPbg

(edited by Bread.7516)

"Fumble" dodges.

Anicetus.1253

Yeah, thats what i call a fumble dodge. Looks like interrupting the dodge half way for me.

Also the dodge interrupt that sometimes occurs with weaponswap should be fixed.

"Fumble" dodges.

Bread.7516

I want to add elementalist Churning Earth to the list. happened to me 3 times today during a run.

Seems like anet cares less about real bugs than “exploits” that aren’t really a big deal

"Fumble" dodges.

Posted by: Cat Has Ducks.1982

Cat Has Ducks.1982

After the skills Whirling Wrath

This one gets me kicked by lupi once in while when I do WW at a bad time….

Lord Chuck I – Guardian
Chuck The Stampede – Engineer
[Lg] Agatha – Dragonbrand

"Fumble" dodges.

Bread.7516

Add conjure lightning hammer, after casting. the list piles on.
im starting to think any skill or most skills does this

congrats

(edited by Bread.7516)

"Fumble" dodges.

Anicetus.1253

Nah, sometimes it even just randomly happens. You can see some strong fumbles in my recent guardian solo, too. Luckily the only one that could have killed me was in p1-2 transition.

"Fumble" dodges.

Anicetus.1253

Bump.

"Fumble" dodges.

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

The probably most annoying and definitely most important bug there currently is, yet no dev response?

Dub | [rT]
#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

"Fumble" dodges.

Bread.7516

I second this.

sees lupi abt to swipe > no prob >hits dodge> OOPS game doesn’t want u to dodge so screw you ahuehuehue.

"Fumble" dodges.

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

I’d like to add my similar experience. Getting died because of bugs is not fun and needs prompt fix.

"Fumble" dodges.

Posted by: Wukunlin.8461

Wukunlin.8461

new bugs = new challenges = new content

Oceanic [LOD]

"Fumble" dodges.

Posted by: guanlongwucaii.3162

guanlongwucaii.3162

I second this. Why is this even a thing?

"Fumble" dodges.

Posted by: Broadicea.8294

Broadicea.8294

Bumping for dev response.

Retired. Too many casuals.

"Fumble" dodges.

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Its a massive pain in the kitten. Lag seems to increase the frequency of fumble dodges. But even with a perfect connection and no skills other than auto attack before a dodge I still get it happening sometimes. Had to double dodge backwards from alphards barrel yesterday because the first dodge fumbled during axe auto attack…

"Fumble" dodges.

Posted by: Bright.9160

Bright.9160

I’m fairly certain this has to do with their ‘fix’ to the animation bugs.

They fixed the animation bug with Whirlwind Attack, and with the same patch, this bug shows up? Doesn’t take much to figure out what’s wrong.

It seems to me all skills that cause the fumbles are skills you used to use to animation glitch.

Whirling Wrath, Whirlwind Attack, Axe #2…

We should test more skills that were used to animation bug and see if they cause fumble dodges.

Legion of Doom [LOD] – Death ’n Taxes [DnT]
“People wanting content where Berserker sucks should remember that it needs be so hard
that they will cry, not just a river, but a huge ocean.” – Wethospu

"Fumble" dodges.

Bread.7516

I’m fairly certain this has to do with their ‘fix’ to the animation bugs.

They fixed the animation bug with Whirlwind Attack, and with the same patch, this bug shows up? Doesn’t take much to figure out what’s wrong.

It seems to me all skills that cause the fumbles are skills you used to use to animation glitch.

Whirling Wrath, Whirlwind Attack, Axe #2…

We should test more skills that were used to animation bug and see if they cause fumble dodges.

Maybe it worsened during the “fix”, but i think this has been around as long as i can remember. It was a thorn on the side that just kept annoying and digging in.

churning earth and the earthquake (stomp animation) also does this frequently.

(edited by Bread.7516)

"Fumble" dodges.

Bright.9160

Just failed a lupicus fight because of this. Used WA + dodge when he did his AoE lifesteal, and I got hit with the lifesteal anyway.

I guess the new way to go is dodge + WA instead..

“People wanting content where Berserker sucks should remember that it needs be so hard

"Fumble" dodges.

Posted by: Dog.1472

Dog.1472

Oh please fix this. This happens constantly where I try to dodge, and just end up using up endurance without actually dodging and then getting hit.

When the game puts so much focus on dodging attacks, it’s really bad when the dodge doesn’t work properly.

“Please, you can look down on people without having to be physically above them.
As an asura, I do this all the time.”

"Fumble" dodges.

Posted by: Josh Davis.6015

Josh Davis.6015

Hey folks,

We’re aware of the issue!

Thanks for the reports.

"Fumble" dodges.

Posted by: EnemyCrusher.7324

EnemyCrusher.7324

Thanks OP, I’ve been having trouble figuring out why my guardian’s dodge moved him properly but didn’t actually cause evade. I didn’t know what to report, but I’m glad it’s being handled.

On the topic of bugs causing our dodges to fail, any update on the bug that causes our dodges to go in the wrong direction?

Light of Honor [Lite] – Founder / Warmaster
Sorrow’s Furnace Commander
“You’re the mount, karka’s ride you instead, and thus they die happy!”-Colin Johanson

"Fumble" dodges.

Anicetus.1253

Is anything going happen about this? I mean figuring out what causes it isn’t hard - whirl skills. Aswell as Whirlwind Attack just causes this since the 15th october patch.

"Fumble" dodges.

Posted by: SkyChef.5432

SkyChef.5432

I did happen to record 1 of my death by fumbling dodge yesterday on Lupi p2 AoE. After the whirlwind attack, the dodge broke 1/2 way. Bump for the fix since Anet is already aware of the bug.

People are too serious of their knowledge.

"Fumble" dodges.

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

new bugs = new challenges = new content

You won the internet

"Fumble" dodges.

Posted by: Syn Sity.5826

Syn Sity.5826

This is such a ridiculously major issue it should be anet’s first priority. Dodging is such a big part of this game, it is insane that it just kinda doesn’t work sometimes. Really the only way to avoid it is to not use whirl skills when you are anticipating a dodge and always dodge>whirlwind. Also you can whirlwind > swap > dodge. But yeah I’m glad they’re aware of this issue, now we play the waiting game.

[DnT]

"Fumble" dodges.

Posted by: mosspit.8936

mosspit.8936

Just to chip in for mesmer’s blurred frenzy > dodge, I am experiencing fumbles too.

"Fumble" dodges.

Dub.1273

It is surely related to whirl skills, those get me fumbles really often, fumbles after doing nothing are just ocassional.
Anyway, tried playing warrior for a bit for the first time after 15th patch and i was shocked. Much worse than on mesmer, guardian or elementalist. Out of 10 dodges at least 7 fumbles/delayed dodges. Also, WA randomly activating because it apparently queued up…

However, these fumbles exist since launch, were fixed (from autoattack) and i had no issues for about 8 month. Out of nothing i was getting them once in a while and the lastest patches made it ridiculous.

Dub | [rT]

"Fumble" dodges.

Posted by: Strontius.6478

Strontius.6478

Recently I was working on a lupicus solo, and every time I died to a fumble dodge it was so extremely frustrating. As a warrior, Axe 2 and gs whirlwind 3 then dodging almost always give me a fumble dodge. Also, activating whirlwind attack and riposte feel very slow and delayed sometimes.

This should be a high priority for ANet to fix, as combat is the main aspect of this game. The frequency of fumble dodges is just unacceptable, especially considering this is a game where you tend to die in 2-3 hits.

"Fumble" dodges.

Posted by: Harrahou.4518

Harrahou.4518

So someone from the QA team comes, but just say they know of it, but what are they going to do about it?

R80 Multi Classer
Proud Owner of:
Oh Did That Just Happen [Mhmm]

"Fumble" dodges.

Posted by: Dolan.3071

Dolan.3071

Wow look at you baddy Berserker’s blaming your bad gear on “bugs”. If you had more defensive gear like Sentinel’s you wouldn’t be so reliant on dodging, you would have less downs and a faster run….

Uriel Asther ~ Warrior | Kaya Lereau ~ Elementalist | Natalie Fox ~ Thief
Skye Eterna ~ Mesmer | Arya Slade ~ Charrdian | Kiera Thine ~ Ranger
Oceanic ~ [LOD] [Noob]

"Fumble" dodges.

Dub.1273

So someone from the QA team comes, but just say they know of it, but what are they going to do about it?

Yeah, thats what i worry about…

Dub | [rT]

"Fumble" dodges.

Posted by: Cagey.1609

Cagey.1609

Verifying the bug is part one, they can probably reproduce it at will which is step two.

From there, you need to figure out what code broke, which isn’t always simple when you’re dealing something happening over a network—maybe it’s the actual dodge code on the server, maybe it’s the client code that’s supposed to send the dodge signal, maybe it’s the client prediction not working correctly and the server is overriding the client’s simulation once the dodge has started (e.g. the server says you’re already in CC but the client doesn’t know that yet due to network latency, so it starts the roll).

Once they have a smoking gun for the bug, they need figure out which approach to fix it will (1) really solve the problem end users see, (2) minimize the chance of other stuff breaking, and (3) not make the code a mess to modify later.

Once you have a plan to fix it, you still need to do the actual update and testing, which takes time.

I’m not sure what stage they are in, but it can be difficult to forecast a solution time before you’ve decided what approach to take, and as I said above even pinpointing the problem can be a headache when you’re looking at client/server with simulation on both sides.

"Fumble" dodges.

Posted by: draconx.3102

draconx.3102

Definitely affects blurred frenzy + dodge. I’d heard of this issue before but never really been killed by it until very recently (since last patch perhaps).

"Fumble" dodges.

Dub.1273

Verifying the bug is part one, they can probably reproduce it at will which is step two.

From there, you need to figure out what code broke, which isn’t always simple when you’re dealing something happening over a network—maybe it’s the actual dodge code on the server, maybe it’s the client code that’s supposed to send the dodge signal, maybe it’s the client prediction not working correctly and the server is overriding the client’s simulation once the dodge has started (e.g. the server says you’re already in CC but the client doesn’t know that yet due to network latency, so it starts the roll).

Once they have a smoking gun for the bug, they need figure out which approach to fix it will (1) really solve the problem end users see, (2) minimize the chance of other stuff breaking, and (3) not make the code a mess to modify later.

Once you have a plan to fix it, you still need to do the actual update and testing, which takes time.

I’m not sure what stage they are in, but it can be difficult to forecast a solution time before you’ve decided what approach to take, and as I said above even pinpointing the problem can be a headache when you’re looking at client/server with simulation on both sides.

Whenever i update a program, i first of save the old (working) version of it. Since there have not been fumble dodges after WA before 15th oct update it should be quite easy to analyze and find what causes it (at least the one after WA). Also, i’m getting fumble dodges with or without lag about as frequent.
Also, this has been out for so long and has already been known, there is just no excuse for fumbles still happening. Easy solve: make dodges priority #1, evade attacks priority #2 and other skills as right now.

Dub | [rT]

"Fumble" dodges.

Posted by: PillageYourVillage.7548

PillageYourVillage.7548

Hey folks,

Thanks for the reports.

Thanks Arenanet, love you guys so much right now!

Cant wait for the fix December 2014!

"Fumble" dodges.

Posted by: Cagey.1609

Cagey.1609

Also, this has been out for so long and has already been known, there is just no excuse for fumbles still happening.

Well, you’re obviously the expert.

"Fumble" dodges.

Posted by: Dolan.3071

Dolan.3071

Hey folks,

Thanks for the reports.

Thanks Arenanet, love you guys so much right now!

Cant wait for the fix December 2014!

I applaud your optimism.

Uriel Asther ~ Warrior | Kaya Lereau ~ Elementalist | Natalie Fox ~ Thief
Skye Eterna ~ Mesmer | Arya Slade ~ Charrdian | Kiera Thine ~ Ranger
Oceanic ~ [LOD] [Noob]

"Fumble" dodges.

Posted by: Virlyce.4519

Virlyce.4519

Similar problem with elementalist dagger fire 3. After using it, trying to dodge backwards while swapping to earth is near impossible.

"Fumble" dodges.

Dub.1273

Just tried after the patch, some people say they get less fumbles on warrior (after wa), i haven’t tested yet. Churning Earth on elementalist does no produce any number on your screen though and i get fumbles in the LH chain or after other scepter/focus skills. Aswell as we’ve been getting hit while dodging (no fumble animation) when endurance just went away.

Dub | [rT]

"Fumble" dodges.

Posted by: Lilim.3427

Lilim.3427

I’ve been trying for a bit after the patch but I can’t reproduce the fumble/endurance loss on skills that lock your movement (Whirlwind Attack/Earthshaker/Leap of Faith etc] anymore. Possible it’s just server lag from the new patch making it harder to reproduce, but I’m crossing my fingers!

Warrior: Axe 2# Cyclone Axe, Axe 5# Whirling Axe, Hammer 4# Staggering Blow, Mace 2# Counterblow(end of the block)
Guardian: Greatsword 2# Whirling Wrath(Needs good timing to reproduce. Have to dodge right at the end of the skill itself, not the cast bar)
Thief: Elite: Dagger Storm, Sword+Pistol 3# Pistol Whip(bit special, see below)
Ranger: Greatsword 1# Power Stab(last attack in the chain)

The above still have the fumble/endurance loss however, reproducible by spamming dodge right as the skill finishes.

Edit: Dagger Storm, the Thief elite has the bug too, perhaps it has something to do with skills that affect your animations in a certain way ?

Edit2: Sword+Pistol 3# Pistol Whip has some interesting interactions with what I’m assuming is this bug. Dodging right as the first part of the skill completes(the stun), but before the second starts(sword swinging), gives you 0 cost dodges for a few seconds. Guessed it had some interaction with the Feline Grace minor trait at first, but was able to reproduce the free dodges without it.

Edit 3: Adding some skills to the list.

(edited by Lilim.3427)

"Fumble" dodges.

Syn Sity.5826

Just got a fumble dodge on my first whirling wrath and tested with ranger greatsword auto and it was happening nearly everytime. It’s hilarious to me that they found the time to fix the spinning in place bug but can’t be bothered to fix this one that is hugely affecting gameplay. Yay anet!

[DnT]

"Fumble" dodges.

Bright.9160

Just got a fumble dodge on my first whirling wrath and tested with ranger greatsword auto and it was happening nearly everytime. It’s hilarious to me that they found the time to fix the spinning in place bug but can’t be bothered to fix this one that is hugely affecting gameplay. Yay anet!

I think it has to do with the fact that they can’t fix it without ‘unfixing’ their ‘fix’ to the animation locks. And knowing Anet, they’d rather collectively eat their shoes than reroll a previous ‘fix’ because it broke something, because that would mean they would have to admit they made a mistake.

"Fumble" dodges.

Dub.1273

The worst part of the dev response is actually that they are aware of the issue – but didn’t say anything about if they’re working on it.

Dub | [rT]

"Fumble" dodges.

Dub.1273

WA doesn’t cause fumbles anymore but still makes it impossible to dodge right after. Pretty bad when using WA->Dodge for Lupicus Lifedrains.

Dub | [rT]

"Fumble" dodges.

Syn Sity.5826

HAHAHAHA. “These skills no longer cause fumble dodges because you can’t dodge after you cast it!” But yeah it seems they only fixed ww and nothing else.

[DnT]

"Fumble" dodges.

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

Thank you for quasi-fixing fumble dodges but now you cannot dodge after using certain skills like whirlwind attack. Please, fix.