Hair accessory color changed

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: xerca.6135

xerca.6135

So since launch, when I selected the color for the metal rings on this hair color, it was gray metal color and only with a hint of purple. Now after the patch, it is bright purple and I hope it is not supposed to be that way. My charr look ridiculous and I can’t afford a hair style kit atm.

Attachments:

Posted by: Nayah.9410

Nayah.9410

I have the same issue on my charr. The rings were ebony and are now green!

xerca.6135

Would really like to know if this change is intentional or not, so I know if I have to buy a hair style kit or just wait for it to be fixed.

Posted by: Raijin Tora.3294

Raijin Tora.3294

I have the same problem with my female Charr warrior. The spikes on her hair have gone from a bone-white color to a horrendous pink shade. I’ve had to resort to hiding beneath a Vigil helm to keep from getting too frustrated. Though I wonder what has caused it and if it can be fixed. I even checked the gem store to make sure that no one hacked my account and picked up a makeover kit. Nothing, so no hacking.

Charlie Thunorstorm – lv. 80 Charr warrior
Cecilia Gunbjornn – lv. 80 Norn ranger
Yulma Geargrind – lv. 80 Asura engineer

Posted by: Dullsaw.5296

Dullsaw.5296

having same issue

/bump

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

Would really like to know if this change is intentional or not, so I know if I have to buy a hair style kit or just wait for it to be fixed.

Just so you know, the makeover/hairstyle kits only offer the starter colors available during character creation to re-dye the accessory color, and not any dyes you’ve unlocked on your character. Many expect unlocked dye colors to be available to them in the makeover/hairstyle kits, but this is not the case.

Even still, there is no guarantee that re-selecting the dye for the hair accessory that was chosen during creation will lead to it once again looking as it did when you originally created the character.

I believe the issue is much deeper than simply being a dye replacement issue. I believe it is more along the lines of texture files being improperly called and/or missing. On the Asura female hair style with the ribbons, the black squares with an orange/yellow border at the end of the streamers signifies in many game engines that there is an improperly referenced texture, missing or incorrectly assigned shader definition, an incorrect or incompatible texture resolution or image format, or even a flat out missing or corrupt texture file. This leads me to believe there is likely an issue of at least one texture missing, as well as there being a broken shader reference that would be causing the inconsistent and illogical changes to accessory color appearance.

Graphical

• Hair Accessory Color Changed [ 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 ]
    The color of the hair accessory has changed itself to a different color.

I also have this issue listed here with some other reported bugs and their status:
Tracker – Living World/Game Update Bugs
I’ve now also included a link to your thread on this issue as you have a screenshot showing the issue.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

(edited by StinVec.3621)

xerca.6135

Just so you know, the makeover/hairstyle kits only offer the starter colors available during character creation to re-dye the accessory color, and not any dyes you’ve unlocked on your character. Many expect unlocked dye colors to be available to them in the makeover/hairstyle kits, but this is not the case.
…….

Never did I believe it would give me unlocked colours either. I have used the kits before. What I would do with it in this case would be to change the rings to a normal gray colour so I can get rid of the bright purple they have been turned into.

StinVec.3621

…….

Never did I believe it would give me unlocked colours either. I have used the kits before. What I would do with it in this case would be to change the rings to a normal gray colour so I can get rid of the bright purple they have been turned into.

I did not mean to imply that you believed this or that you have never used a kit before, just that others who purchased a kit for this purpose have expected it.

Also, I understand your reasoning for wanting to use the kit to correct the color to one you would prefer other than the incorrect purple it has been changed to without your consent. However, in the portion of my comment that you clipped I stated that the issue may be deeper than simply replacing the color, that no matter what you select it might result in the incorrect color being displayed. If the situation is deeper than a simple issue of an undesired and forced color change, then your reasoning for using a kit to replace the purple color might result in yet another undesired color being given to the accessories. Just trying to potentially save people from wasting a kit to change the accessory color by stating that, until this issue is addressed and corrected, using a makeover/hairstyle kit may not produce the desired results of correcting the accessory color. Nobody really knows yet.

If you do use a kit, would you please update with a screenshot that shows the end result with whether it fixed your accessory color or if it still resulted in the wrong color for the accessory? It would definitely help nail down what I stated as possible causes for the issue as actually being possible causes for the issue. Hopefully Josh Davis will be able to acknowledge and give us more info on this bug soon.

Posted by: KeairaPhoenix.6123

KeairaPhoenix.6123

Same issue. But mine have changed from gold to the most obnoxious shade of bright orange. The color of cheetos. It’s truly horrible.

I don’t think we should be required to purchase a kit to fix something we didn’t choose.

So… when will this issue be resolved?

(edited by KeairaPhoenix.6123)

xerca.6135

Has there been any word about this?

StinVec.3621

Has there been any word about this?

None whatsoever. I’ve included 6 of the many threads on this issue in my tracker thread that has the issue outlined within it, but none have received any responses to date. Several have even posted the issue within the “Issues with character art, weapons, or armor” sticky thread in addition to making a separate bug thread on the issue. :\

Posted by: Josh Davis.6015

Josh Davis.6015

Hey folks,

This is something I’ve reported internally, but we’re having trouble finding a reliable repro for the issue.

If you folks can give any information on what led up to the unintended change, let me know.

Some ideas:

• Equipped new gear?
  • Dyed gear pieces?

Anything is helpful.

Thanks!

xerca.6135

Hey folks,

This is something I’ve reported internally, but we’re having trouble finding a reliable repro for the issue.

If you folks can give any information on what led up to the unintended change, let me know.

Some ideas:

• Equipped new gear?
  • Dyed gear pieces?

Anything is helpful.

Thanks!

Logged in after the launcher had patched to the SAB update when that started. Took a look at my character when I had loaded into the game and noticed the change.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Hey folks,

Some ideas:

• Equipped new gear?
  • Dyed gear pieces?

Anything is helpful.

Thanks!

Logged in after the launcher had patched to the SAB update when that started. Took a look at my character when I had loaded into the game and noticed the change.

Does removing all your gear or changing all the dyes to a different color have any impact?

Two similar issues that has been fixed comes to mind. The was an issue with light underwater breather corrupting armor texture so that going in and out of water would cause the armor to have odd splotches.

A closer matching issue was the one I believe back in beta when additional colors were added for the Sylvari and everyone got color shifted.

If anyone happens to have the total make over kit, check how many places the new color is shifted from the old one?

The theory being that maybe new colors have been added or perhaps there will be an upcoming change giving exclusive colors for accessories similar to the exclusive colors for hair. That sort of cause would also explain why it can’t be reproduced since you need to have a character made prior to any of the changes.

Posted by: Mistro.3059

Mistro.3059

To me it seems to be a material change, such as metallic to cloth/leather. There was another post right after SAB was re-released where another Charr had the same rings change from a metallic dark bronze sort of color to a vibrant red, as though the rings changed from metal to plastic.

xerca.6135

I have changed armor around, changed dyes, been naked. The rings do not go back to their usual metallic colour with the purple hint.

What Mistro said, it seems it has changed material or something. Everyone I have seen with this hair style has just solid colored metal rings.

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

It’s not just Charr. I reported a change to my Female Asura’s hair ribbon 3 days before this thread began. It was originally dark purple with pink trim. I dyed my armor to be a perfect match. Now the ribbon is darker purple, and the trim is yellow. I checked it out on a Total Makeover Kit and ALL the ribbons for my hair style are now trimmed in yellow. Oop! Ack! Thpppt!

This could (mostly) be fixed if you would just let us dye the accessories.

I suggest that if you remove your head armor, you have one or two dye channels that can be used to color your hair accessories.

Furthermore, if you remove your coat or leggings, you should likewise have one or two dye channels that can be used to color your undies.

Attachments:

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

Posted by: Scrula.4286

Scrula.4286

Yup.
Got the exact same problem.
Fem. Charr Warrior, once had more greyish rings like the details on the worn armor, now its bright red :/

I changed nothing, since i stopped playing GW2 4-5 months ago and came back to it yesterday. All i did was patching.

Attachments:

Posted by: NeyteriKiyeri.4207

NeyteriKiyeri.4207

I have the same problems too. my rings in my charrs hair were grey and now purple :S
and i see now i am not the only one with this bug…

Attachments:

Follow your heart and your dreams won’t be far behind.

Posted by: Silva Luna.8234

Silva Luna.8234

I think the problem for charr is that before the SAB patch it did not matter which colour of the accessories you chose while creating the char it all nearly looked the same. So many people did not care about what colour they chose there it was all like grey/silver sometimes a little darker sometimes a little brighter but never really colourful. Now after the patch the colours are like they were supposed to be since game was released but they just have not been it till the SAB patch.
So many people logg in see their charr and wonder about this change.
They maybe chose the colour while creating the char that looked best there but did not notice/cannot remember that it may be have been purple or red e.g. that just looked metallic grey/dark as the people liked it and now the colours are like they normally should have been all the time and people wonder.
I have a charr with this rings in the hair too and they are dark green now before they were something like grey/silver I also could not remember that I made them green because it just looked the best metallic colour when I made my charr . Does not fit and does not look good.
So Anet should give every charr the opportunity to just chance the colour of the accessoir because it cant be the way to spend 250 gems for a mistake anet made.

(edited by Silva Luna.8234)

Posted by: Fay.2735

Fay.2735

Just send all the people affected by the change a free hair change kit.

•— Fay Everdunes | Fay Erduna | Lilyfay (Fay.2735) — Mesmer/Revenant — [NA]FA — 8k±Hrs Played —•
Have you heard of the city? The ancient uru? Where there was power to write worlds

Posted by: nicichan.2014

nicichan.2014

Mine has done the same, I hadn’t played for a month or so and then when logging back in the hair accessory is now bright purple. I’ve had to dye my armour purple so it doesn’t clash. If it can be fixed via makeover kit can affected people get one to fix this?

Posted by: Ekazu.3806

Ekazu.3806

Considering this was recognised by an Anet rep, I was fairly excited by the update, hoping the error had been fixed. Nope!

Starting to think Silva is right and that highly saturated accessories were their original intent but not fixed until the SAB patch (it makes sense), since that’s how accessories work on other races.

Personally think it’s somewhat unfair to suddenly force people to accept the aesthetic shift when the game’s been out for over a year. They’re both fairly popular hairstyles too. Hopefully this isn’t permanent?

Also, it can’t be fixed via makeover kit, unless you select yellow or the two grey colours. Everything else is highly saturated.

I think the tough thing about fixing this (if they intend to), is that it will disappoint anyone who’s made a new Charr/Asura since the update. D’oh.

(edited by Ekazu.3806)

xerca.6135

Personally think it’s somewhat unfair to suddenly force people to accept the aesthetic shift when the game’s been out for over a year. They’re both fairly popular hairstyles too. Hopefully this isn’t permanent?

Yeah, I really liked the metallic with the purple hint I choose at launch. Hey, it’s why I picked it. Had it been this purple, I would have chosen gray or something.

StinVec.3621

As can be seen in this screenshot, the affected hairstyle that Hamfast showed is clearly of a green tint while all the other hairstyles are of the darker blue color of the “Black Sea Dye”.

Obviously something has happened to this hairstyle to make color and texture behave differently from other hairstyles which would also affect the accessory color. Though this does not explain why the squares have turned to the yellow “missing texture” pattern.

Attachments:

Posted by: Fatfox.4915

Fatfox.4915

Same for me on my charr engi, (screenshot of when she was first made ~1 year ago) she’s never had a makeover kit used on her and the rings were the same colour as the first image until the sab patch.
My other characters seem to be ok, but the hair is covered by helms. I’ll check later.

Attachments:

Posted by: Weindrasi.3805

Weindrasi.3805

I had this problem with two of my female charr. One of them has the hair with spikes down her neck—they turned bright green one day. It was gross, so I used my hair kit to change them.
My other charr has the Mohawk with the three circular metal inserts. These inserts changed from silver-white to sky blue. The sky blue inserts honestly look OK, so I’m not inclined to use up gems on another hair kit, but it is kind of bothersome.

Posted by: StarbornStriker.6493

StarbornStriker.6493

I’m a bit late to the party on this one. I hope it’s still being looked into (and I hope it’s okay if I post since I just noticed it).

We recently moved and I was away from the game for about a month. I just recently started leveling this character (I have a tendency to create a new character and let them sit awhile before I start leveling them). So it had probably been about two months since I looked at this character. When I started leveling her I thought her hair accessories looked a bit bright for my normal choices but I didn’t think it was worth remaking her over it.

When I saw this thread I went back and looked at my old screenshots right after character creation. I know there’s a day/night difference here but it definitely looks like the new screenshot (left) is brighter and less metallic than the old one (right). Since I was away from the game, and this character, I obviously didn’t equip anything new or change any of her dye colors.

Attachments:

Posted by: Kitta.3657

Kitta.3657

I have this issue as well on my asura with the same hairstyle as Hamfast and I completely support their idea: Let us dye our hair accessories in game like normal armor. The limitations on color choices for hair accessories is awful and more often than not we cannot find a good choice to fit our color schemes. It would even be a potential fix for this bug.

mouth too blunt, truth too loud

Posted by: PeiJing.8764

PeiJing.8764

My Charr thief’s hair accessories had their color changed from metallic grey to bright red. I noticed it after the SAB patch…
I hope there is a way to change the color back to what is was, without having to buy a makeover kit… :/

Attachments:

Posted by: Amisce.9360

Amisce.9360

I just logged into my charr today for the first time in about 9 months, thinking I might finally level her up, and I noticed that her dark silver hair rings are now a hideous fuchsia. I see this happened 3-4 months ago, many people have reported it, Anet acknowledged it— why has this not been fixed yet? Is there any way to fix it player-side besides spending money on a kit? Should I just reroll, or will that not fix it either?