Bug: Arcana Obscura Issues [merged]

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

We’ve merged several threads about bugs with this story section of Episode 5 in order to get everyone the most current information on this situation.

The team is trying to replicate the bug and identify issues that might prevent someone from completing the storyline. Here are a few questions they’d like to ask:

• Do you have multiple level 80s on your account that you were taking through the episode?
  • Were you in a group and if so, were you the instance owner?
  • Did you switch from Episode 05 to a later episode before you completed Episode 05 for the first time?
  • Have you been able to complete Episode 05 at least once?

With your answers to these questions, the team hopes to be able to test using different variables that will enable them to nail down what the core issue is, then take care of correcting that issue.

Thanks for the help with this perplexing problem!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Zephyron.7081

Zephyron.7081

Okay, so I finished this instance once before, but did not get credit for completing “Echoes of the Past” episode. So I’ve been replaying the episode in hopes to get the completion of it and an armor piece.

I am now at the point in “Hidden Arcana” when I need to speak to Ogden Stonehealer, but instead of giving me the option to click on the hour glass, I only get dialogue options about lore. Hence, I cannot progress forward at all! The correct dialogue box tries to open up, but then closes and the second dialogue box you are supposed to get AFTER completing the instance pops up instead.

PLEASE HELP ON THIS! Does anybody know of a work around? Am I the only one to not get credit for completing this episode the first time?

Posted by: Damar.5982

Damar.5982

I’m getting the same bug.

I didn’t go through all the achievements for this episode the first time and am trying to catch up now.

Posted by: Geekfox.4267

Geekfox.4267

I’m this same bug as well when I try to get into Glint’s lair again. He doesn’t give me the option to examine the ornate hourglass.

Looks like access to Glint’s lair has been permanently blocked.

Posted by: Scorchongw.8495

Scorchongw.8495

I’m having the same issue, no cipher option for Ogden, fix ASAP please!

Posted by: Zephyron.7081

Zephyron.7081

Well Anet, any response would be nice please.

Posted by: Dimitris.3195

Dimitris.3195

The Echoes of the Past episode totally broke when Tangled Paths was released. I had completed it by episode’s 6 release 3 times on different characters and I had also completed all the achievements. Then Tangled Paths is released, for some reason I log in and episode 5 is active even though I had completed it and I am blocked from entering Glint’s Lair because of a bug on Ogden.

I sent at that time a support ticket, which directed to in-game bug report and forum bug report, I did both, it’s been a month or so and still nothing. This thing where Anet releases a patch and something completely different gets broken without explanation really needs to be solved. It has been happening ever since release. At the very least we deserve an update that the matter is being looked at, we have been in the dark since Tangled Paths and we are almost half a month away from the final episode.

And ok I am one of those who has actually finished the episode before the bug but there are people out there who have potentially paid for the episode and are barred from completing it.

Posted by: Maxwell.7843

Maxwell.7843

I am now at the point in “Hidden Arcana” when I need to speak to Ogden Stonehealer, but instead of giving me the option to click on the hour glass, I only get dialogue options about lore. Hence, I cannot progress forward at all! The correct dialogue box tries to open up, but then closes and the second dialogue box you are supposed to get AFTER completing the instance pops up instead.

This has happened to me too a couple of times.

Posted by: kaede.4751

kaede.4751

The Echoes of the Past episode totally broke when Tangled Paths was released.

If that’s the issue, it’s not 100% replicable — I did it with 3 of my characters ages ago with no problems, then just 2 or 3 days ago with my 4th, again no problems.

So if you want to report this as bug there needs to be some other info about how you were doing it: with a party member or solo? With any achievements already unlocked or not, and if so, which ones had you done? If it was in a party, what was the story AND achievement progress on each party member at the time? etc.

There have been enough of these bugs to know that often those bits of information are relevant to ‘broken’ LS episodes, so the more information you can give the devs, the better.

Good luck.

Posted by: AntiStoopMode.8942

AntiStoopMode.8942

The event Tainted Spirits in the story Arcana Obscura stucks for me. Echo of Turai just stands near the book shelve and does nothing.

Posted by: AntiStoopMode.8942

AntiStoopMode.8942

It worked fine after I left and opened a new instance.

Posted by: Wiella.8567

Wiella.8567

Stuck for me and my friend as well.
It seems that NPC ( Echo of Turai ) is stuck in combat and story doesn’t continue.

To be exact – it stuck after defending the throne from mobs and talking to story NPC.
Nothing happens, story mark points to Echo of Turai and he just stands with half of HP in one place right where the throne image was placed.

Posted by: roguenub.1409

roguenub.1409

Ghost does nothing after you capture the first point. Ran around the room and all that and its still standing there… hurt and confused. Or am I missing something?

Attachments:

Posted by: MatthewMedina

Previous

MatthewMedina

Content Designer

Next

By any chance, was the ghost in his “dazed” state (he would appear dizzy and staggered) when you completed the capture of the throne? I have an inkling what it might be causing this, but it would help me track the issue to know what state the NPC was in when it stalled.

Posted by: Malchior.5042

Malchior.5042

Given that HP value, I would guess that was the case, Matthew.

The ghost must still be registered “in-combat” otherwise his out-of-combat regen would have healed him to full if roguenub ran around the whole room before taking a screenshot.

Malchior Devenholm | Proud member of Zealots of Shiverpeak [ZoS] | Northern Shiverpeaks

roguenub.1409

By any chance, was the ghost in his “dazed” state (he would appear dizzy and staggered) when you completed the capture of the throne? I have an inkling what it might be causing this, but it would help me track the issue to know what state the NPC was in when it stalled.

Dazed? No I’m sure it wasn’t. If you got that from ‘hurt and confused’, that was my failure attempt at humor sry.

However the NPC ghost went out to fight one of the wurms. I killed the wurm & and the NPC started attacking other aggro outside the capture zone. I finished the capture event and the mobs despawned while it was in combat.

Posted by: Mordecai.6318

Mordecai.6318

Same issue here and here is a screenshot showcasing exactly where.

Attachments:

Posted by: curtegg.5216

curtegg.5216

Had the following issues when I reran the story on 2 of my alts. I first solo’d the story on my Mesmer. Then on my two alts the following occurred while they were rerunning the story with a party.

1) My warrior alt progressed through the story normally till we finished Camp Resolve battles, but then did not advance to the Mystery cave. The party was kind enough to rerun that story part again (which is a bit too long). From that point on the rest of the story progressed normally and I got my second head piece.

2) My guardian then reran the story with another party and progressed normally through the story to the very end cinematic (post dragon cup’de grace), when just before the final part and your banner of upcoming Rose of Thorns, got kicked out to silverwastes and the story part completely reset and now my guardian has to start ALL OVER AGAIN!

Please fix the story not progressing normally when you rerun it.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Wow. How do you have two Living Story Episodes on the HUD at once? I must be missing something.

Posted by: Manifibel.8420

Manifibel.8420

Wow. How do you have two Living Story Episodes on the HUD at once? I must be missing something.

Guess you are refering to Mordecai’s picture in the top right corner?
He just tracked the meta achivement for the LW Season 2 Episode 4 “The Dragon’s Reach: Part 2”.
I think you figured so for your self by now but hey wanted to make it clear in case you still did not :b

Dungeons being about how fast you clear then compared to being able to clear them makes me sad.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Oh…Achievements? Hmm. Didn’t even know that was possible. Thanks for the ‘heads-up’.

Posted by: MatthewMedina

Previous

MatthewMedina

Content Designer

Thanks for the clarification, roguenub. Though I had been hoping it was a result of the dazed state breaking the NPC’s scripting, but if that’s not the case, this could be trickier to repro. I’ll take a look at it in more depth.

Mordecai, your situation looks slightly different – it’s still showing you have half the Tainted Spirits alive so you must have triggered the first two waves at least. I’ll take a look at this as well.

Thanks for your patience!

Posted by: LadySilverHand.6841

LadySilverHand.6841

I am likewise having a stop progress issue during Arcana Obscura, specifically at halfway through purging/purifying the tainted spirits. I’ll include a snapshot of where I’m sitting.

During retaking the throne, I noticed the “Hero” stopped fighting periodically and just stood there, but he got active again after a few moments, or at least when the wave ended, so I didn’t think much of it.

I am also used to occasionally doing “spawn and kill” wave events rapidly with my guildmates, and perhaps every 1 out of 6 waves or so will have a long delay before it spawns, if we killed the previous wave very swiftly. Being accustomed to that, I noticed but didn’t put much into the lag here for several minutes before checking the forums.

He did the same thing again during the middle of the combat in the screenshot area, and hasn’t moved since. Nor has anything new spawned to kill, despite me running around and basically clicking everything.

He was in a dazed state just before he stopped functioning, but is not now.

Attachments:

<3 Thank you for the fun, Anet~

(edited by LadySilverHand.6841)

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Thanks for the clarification, roguenub. Though I had been hoping it was a result of the dazed state breaking the NPC’s scripting, but if that’s not the case, this could be trickier to repro. I’ll take a look at it in more depth.

Mordecai, your situation looks slightly different – it’s still showing you have half the Tainted Spirits alive so you must have triggered the first two waves at least. I’ll take a look at this as well.

Thanks for your patience!

I sent in a bug report the other day of the same thing except his HP was zero or what appeared to be zero.

Could this be because of the conditions that drain his HP? Conditions caused an invulnerability bug with the Triple Wurm before and didn’t they also cause a problem back at release with the spectral weapon skill challenges in Orr that required a guardian to fix?

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

The ghost must still be registered “in-combat” otherwise his out-of-combat regen would have healed him to full if roguenub ran around the whole room before taking a screenshot.

Given that getting stuck as “in-combat” can happen a lot with players, I’m not surprised the same could happen to NPCs. With players, however, dying or killing more mobs sometimes fix it… a NPC wouldn’t “think” about doing this “workaround” though.

shadow.6174

He just tracked the meta achivement for the LW Season 2 Episode 4 “The Dragon’s Reach: Part 2”.

Hmm, curious… as far as i know, if you are tracking an achievement and it gets completed it is removed from that tracker. Completed achievements don’t show up there, unless this applies only for dailies maybe.

Posted by: Awman.2715

Awman.2715

Trying to complete “It’s All About Timing” I lured the first wave of adds away from the capture point, and after the point was captured, Marjory talked to me and then Turai Ossa stood there and didn’t move again.

Posted by: LadySilverHand.6841

LadySilverHand.6841

Since the living story is repeatable, they’ve likely tracked it to come back to later.

<3 Thank you for the fun, Anet~

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

When you find the tome, you have to carry it to Ogden. It’ll act as a bundle in your character’s hands. You don’t have it in your hands in your screenshot.

shadow.6174

Since the living story is repeatable, they’ve likely tracked it to come back to later.

Even so, still curious.. I haven’t been able to track a completed achievement, no "eye" icon on completed ones... *shrugs*

Posted by: Tiscan.8345

Tiscan.8345

This is still broken. Tried it multipletimes with my char. I can’t access Glint’s Lair as the “normal” dialog-window pops up, then closes immediatly and is replaced with a new dialog where you can only ask lore-specific stuff.

Posted by: kaat.8237

kaat.8237

Stuck here as well.

MARA on Gunner’s Hold

Posted by: nightzirch.3126

nightzirch.3126

For me, the issue was resolved by killing my clone in the mirror. I have only tried this once, though, so no guarantees

Hi, I’m Chris aka nightzirch
Snow Crows [SC]
Front-end developer – SecretToymaker.com

Posted by: Kirigaya Kazuto.8547

Kirigaya Kazuto.8547

Great….I have the same problem with 3 characters! No mod has answered here so far, so I guess they just don’t read or they don’t care about it-.-

Fix this ASAP!!!

kaat.8237

Happened again. I’ve finished all of the Living Story on one character. This is the second character that’s gotten this far. Solo play, level 80. Get to Ogden, the only dialog available is for a bunch of lore, nothing to get to the Hour Glass to move forward with the episode. Although, this is for Hidden Arcana, not the bit with the ghost.

MARA on Gunner’s Hold

kaat.8237

Arcana Obscura is the first step of Chapter 8-Point of No Return. Hidden Arcana is the 4th step of Chapter 5-Echos of the Past. There are two different Living story bugs in this header that a Moderator merged.

MARA on Gunner’s Hold

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Arcana Obscura is the first step of Chapter 8-Point of No Return. Hidden Arcana is the 4th step of Chapter 5-Echos of the Past. There are two different Living story bugs in this header that a Moderator merged.

Indeed. The thread can be rather confusing for Devs and players.

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

MatthewMidna, my Echo of Turai Ossa is not daze he has 100% health and refuse to move after capturing his palace. I was able to get the bug to reproduce by doing the following:

1) When the shrine is capture, the UI says talk to Marjory
2) If you talk to her almost immediately after the UI objective is updated…Turai Ossa will not move again.

Attachments:

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

It looks like this can be broken in a similar way to Ogre Wars.

If you leave the enemy ghostly hero alive all the way until the end and then get the Turai in combat with it after capturing the throne it will break Turai. This is easy to avoid but maybe it can give some clues on what is causing the other issues.

roguenub.1409

MatthewMidna, my Echo of Turai Ossa is not daze he has 100% health and refuse to move after capturing his palace. I was able to get the bug to reproduce by doing the following:

2) If you talk to her almost immediately after the UI objective is updated…Turai Ossa will not move again.

This has bugged for me 3 times now, but once I waited to talk to Marjory to start the next set of events, it strangely didn’t bug out

reapex.8546

This has bugged for me 3 times now, but once I waited to talk to Marjory to start the next set of events, it strangely didn’t bug out

Yeah, same, I had to wait for Turai to stop moving and the bug didn’t happen.

Posted by: Millillion.5914

Millillion.5914

I can’t start Arcana Obscura since I didn’t get a mail from Marjory, and I can’t seem to do anything about it.

As to the points in the OP:

• No, just one.
  • Not in a group.
  • I don’t think so.
  • Yes.

I can start it on another character, but I would really like to do it on my main character.

(edited by Millillion.5914)

Posted by: Quae.5431

Quae.5431

I have already finished all of the story episodes, and am going trough them now for achievements. Currently working on Echoes of the Past, Hidden Arcana. I am bugged and cannot enter Glint’s lair, at the point where you’re supposed to talk to Stonehealer. Like others are saying, he just gives options for lore dialogue but not anything that will progress the story.

After experiencing this the first time, I logged out and tried again. Same issue. There is briefly a window (no text) that pops up behind/before the list of lore options, but there’s nothing to click and it happens just for a second.

As i said, I have completed all of the living story episodes once already. I mentioned in another thread that my story seems to be bugged in that the Echoes of the Past episode is acting like I haven’t finished it, even though I have (the icon/green star thingy indicates that I haven’t finished the series of stories in that episode, even though I have, and does not give an option to “replay” the episode but rather to “continue” it). I don’t know if that has anything to do with the issues I’m having.

I have completed all the episodes at least once
I have only ever done the living story stuff on ONE of my characters
I have not grouped with anyone for any part of ANY story/episode

Posted by: Kaleban.9834

Kaleban.9834

Being affected by the Hidden Arcana bug, where Ogden only offers the “history flavor” chat options, and can’t progress into the hourglass.

To clarify, I DID do the story a while back, this is for the achievement run.

Posted by: Bhaalspawn.6915

Bhaalspawn.6915

I’m also having this problem. I completed Hidden Arcana and when I tried to do it again for the achievements, Odgen only gives me the lore Dialog. BTW I tried the instance 4 times with 2 different characters.

Also of note, the magister at the beginning is addressing me as a member of the order even though my first character was a member of The Vigil and my second a member of The Order of Whisper.

Kaleban.9834

Is there going to be a fix for this?

Posted by: Bhaalspawn.6915

Bhaalspawn.6915

as of today’s patch (25/02/2015) It’s working for me. The magister still thinks i’m a member of the Priory but at least I can enter Glint’s lair.

Posted by: Epochalypse.3460

Epochalypse.3460

I’m having the same problem as one of the other posters above. I completed the Seeds of Truth part with my 5th character, but she hasn’t received the mail “About the Symbol” from Marjory so I am unable to start Arcana Obscura or progress any further. The map markers direct me to the priory but I can’t enter the instance because there’s no symbol there. All 4 of my other characters have completed the latest living story chapter. This character however, can’t finish until I get that mail.

reapex.8546

I’m having the same problem as one of the other posters above. I completed the Seeds of Truth part with my 5th character, but she hasn’t received the mail “About the Symbol” from Marjory so I am unable to start Arcana Obscura or progress any further. The map markers direct me to the priory but I can’t enter the instance because there’s no symbol there. All 4 of my other characters have completed the latest living story chapter. This character however, can’t finish until I get that mail.

Try deleting all your living story mails. Also, make sure you met with that lady in the SW.

Kaleban.9834

Been over a week since I last tried Hidden Arcana for achievements.

Still bugged, tried every workaround I could find or think of.

Still getting the first dialogue screen that pops up for only a second, then it skips to Ogden’s historical knowledge options.

When can we expect a fix?