In Game Mail Changes Recipient- Never Fixed

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Uber Fish Cakes.5203

Uber Fish Cakes.5203

I just lost a lot of crafting materials due to a “bug” where if a player right clicks an item in his/her inventory and selects “Mail item to…” the game will automatically replace the recipient of said mail to whomever that player is standing the closest to. So for example:

-Player X wants to send some iron ore to Player Y, but Player Z happens to be standing in front of Player X.
-Player X open his Mail menu, hits “Compose”, and fills in “Player Y” into the recipient field
-Player X then opens his inventory, right clicks the Iron Ore and then clicks “Mail item to…”
-The iron ore automatically drops into the composing message.
-What more, is that the client automatically (without giving any indication) replaces “Player Y” with “Player Z” in the recipient field, simply because (for whatever reason) Player Z is standing next to Player X, Even if Player X is not targeting Player Z
-Player X clicks “Send” and unknowingly sends Player Z any items in said letter

In otherwords, if you happen to be sending a lot of items to a guild mate from your bank in Lions Arch, you better double check the recipient field or you might end sending a bunch of your items to random afker.

One simple search shows that this issue has been around sense release with many players attempting to bring it to the developers attention, and with no concern from ANet about providing a fix:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/In-game-mail-choosing-recipient
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/In-Game-Mail-Issue-Recipient-name-changes-when-sending-items/first#post16307
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Blank-sender-in-mail-sends-to-random-toon

I can’t imagine that this is a hard problem, and is likely a very quick fix if its just brought to the attention of the correct person.

Posted by: Griefer of Death.3859

Griefer of Death.3859

I second this, I’ve sent an item out only to get a whisper asking why I mailed them a low level blue item, and my friend wondering where it went.

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

Never thought to look it up to see if there was a bug causing this situation as I have never been on the sending end of this issue, only the “Player Z” receiving end of it.

I haven’t had it happen to me for months, though I rarely stay by the bank long enough for it to happen anymore. But I would receive random items in my mail while at the bank. I always whispered the person who mailed the items to me and asked them if they intended to send these items to me or if it a mistake. None of them have ever responded to my whispers, so I just kept the stuff. It was pretty worthless items anyway. Had they said something like, “oops”, or “yeah it was a mistake send it back”, I would have. But no response showed me they didn’t care enough about the few items to be bothered to respond.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

Posted by: Uber Fish Cakes.5203

Uber Fish Cakes.5203

Never thought to look it up to see if there was a bug causing this situation as I have never been on the sending end of this issue, only the “Player Z” receiving end of it.

I haven’t had it happen to me for months, though I rarely stay by the bank long enough for it to happen anymore. But I would receive random items in my mail while at the bank. I always whispered the person who mailed the items to me and asked them if they intended to send these items to me or if it a mistake. None of them have ever responded to my whispers, so I just kept the stuff. It was pretty worthless items anyway. Had they said something like, “oops”, or “yeah it was a mistake send it back”, I would have. But no response showed me they didn’t care enough about the few items to be bothered to respond.

The worst thing is that after you’ve realized your mistake, if your in an area like LA’s bank, with a bunch of people stacked on top of each other, you have no idea who you’ve sent your items to. I’ve done it a few times in the past and every time I have to give up b/c I have not a clue to whom I delivered my items.

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

They really should have a history feature to the mail tab that lets you know who you sent things to.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

Posted by: Retrospek.4583

Retrospek.4583

I have reported this in game, reported here in the bug reports, and no response or fix from Anet. Sadly, it seems that they are more concerned with releasing new buggy content each month than actually acknowledging there are issues with the current content.

I’m not looking for an overnight fix, but for pete’s sake, at least address some of the issues that people are seeing. I have lost a bunch of materials over this stupid bug, and have learned from “my mistake”, but it’s annoying and shouldn’t be this way.

Not proposing this as a solution, rather a work around, as I haven’t had any issues since I started doing it this way:

Open your mail.
Click compose.
Type in user name you want to send it to.
Drag items from inventory into the mail.
Hit send.

Don’t use right click for anything, at all, and it seems to work. If you hit right click, and there are others around, it will bug out, and is VERY easy to reproduce (it’s actually clicking on someone in the 3D basically, and replacing their name in the send to field).