Issues with 'Join In' and playing with party members

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Mark Katzbach

Mark Katzbach

Content Marketing Manager

Next

Hey all,

If you’re having issues playing with party members or with the ‘join in’ feature, please report the issues here with as many details as possible

Examples:

• Which world you are playing on (or are in overflow from)
  • What map you are on
  • How many people in your party
  • Any other details you can provide

Thank you for your feedback!

Posted by: Max Lexandre.6279

Max Lexandre.6279

About this I just want to know if this is an bug or intended:
- Why does Join In doesn’t show when we get overflow and want to join or main server? That option is only to Join Overflow server?

I’m The Best in Everything.
Asura thing.

Posted by: Waylore.5420

Waylore.5420

I am having this issue, also.

We are unable to select join for either of us. Have tried logging in logging out, zoning in at the same time in and out of party.

The best case we get is if one of us is able to “Join a friend” when we select it it resolves as normal but we are unable to see each other. We just appear on each others mini map, the party icon is not updated and we can not see each other anywhere in the gamespace.

Posted by: macliam.8345

macliam.8345

Every time I have been in an overflow and my group mate has been in the real world, I try to join them. And every time I get a network error message. This has happened in Metrica, Queensdale, Wayfarer and Lions Arch. It has happened in a group of just 2 people, a group of 3 and a group of 4. I am on the Sorrows Furnace server.

Posted by: rhodoc.2381

rhodoc.2381

Well i was having too much problem before but now it seems to be like perfect.

The only thing which annoys me, Near “Join in” it says the map name which doesnt make

sense. Maybe it may say Overflow or Mainserver

[VcY] Velocity – Gargamell

Posted by: StarsLife.7320

StarsLife.7320

My party and I were in Lion’s Arch. I was in overflow and they were not. I tried to join them and got a network error; however, they were able to join me in overflow.

Posted by: Jezath.7395

Jezath.7395

It seems when a player is not next to you, you cannot invite him to party unless you type in chat box as a command. Right clicking name in chat box wont work.

Whiteside Ridge EU
Any size party
All maps

Tis not what they can do for you
Tis only what you can do for all

Posted by: AngeDeLaMort.3270

AngeDeLaMort.3270

Hi, I was wondering if I was the only one having so much trouble with partying. So, I’ll give you some use cases I had experienced again this noon.

Case 1 > 2 different NA servers:

STEPS:
a) Both of us move to Dwayna Waypoint (Divinity’s Reach).
b) We are on our respective server and we don’t have the option Join. (Why??)
c) We go outside and we both get on the overflow server.
d) One of us has the option “Join In” and it works.
e) We decide to go to another Zone (outside queensdale) by teleporting.

RESULT:
We are not able to see each other and we are moved on our respective servers.

EXPECTED:
- Be on the same server and see each other even after a teleport.
- Be able to join in from any situation

Case 2 > 1 NA server and 1 EU server

STEPS:
a) Both of us move to Dwayna Waypoint (Divinity’s Reach).
b) We are both on our respective server and cannot join.
c) We go outside and one of us has the ability to “Join In”. (We tried many different combinaisons: both overflow, 1 overflow and the other on their server and both on our repective servers. It seems that one of use needs to be on the overflow). Be going in and out, we’ve tried many times to join.

RESULT:
After the join (when available), the game loads and we are still not able to see each other.

EXPECTED:
- We should be able to join painlessly without resorting to weird game behaviour with the overflow.
- After the join in, we should be able to see each other.

Posted by: Rage The Numbers.7943

Rage The Numbers.7943

When party members go offline, there is no way to kick them from the party.

Also, right clicking on a user in chat most of the time does not produce a menu that you can use to invite a user to a party.

Rage The Nornynorn – Guild Leader [RR] Reddit Refugees
Sanctum of Rall
http://www.reddit.com/r/Reddit_Refugees – Visit the site for Recruitment!

Posted by: Mosby.4927

Mosby.4927

This happens all the time to me and my friend. It’s very frustrating; we can’t play together.

We’re on the Dragonbrand server. As long as one of us is in Overflow, then the other person can Join them. If not, we don’t get the option to Join, and we can’t see each other.

The happens in every map. This evening we spent a half hour re-logging (grouped and un-grouped) to try and get into Overflow (for Gedarran Fields), but we never could do it, so we gave up and played Secret World.

I really hope you can fix this; otherwise the game is simply not playable for us.

Posted by: speakerbox.2098

speakerbox.2098

Both players are in a party and in Heart of the mists. (yaks bend)
On this certain party member I am not able to see the option “Join user in pvp” when i right click on their portrait. it only happens with this certain person. While on another player i see the option.

We are not in overflow server and on a regular server. to play with each other we have to join the spvp server manually. Was wondering if this is a bug and how do i get around this?

Posted by: elsbeth.3567

elsbeth.3567

Server: Tarnished Coast.

Issue: My friend and I form a two-person party. But we cannot see each other. Our portraits do not appear to each other. The “join” button is disabled. We are plainly on other servers and are not joined on the same server. As far as I can tell, this happens when one or both of us are an on overflow server. It happened repeatedly tonight in Lion’s Arch. We have been playing since headstart and have seen each other exactly once on a single map (Hoelbrak).

A couple days ago, I had no issues forming a five-person party with everyone on the main for a run of Ascalonian Catacombs.

Posted by: Ceroxylon.7305

Ceroxylon.7305

I have been trying to play with a friend from the beginning and it is very difficult to get into a party with him. Sometimes we can meet up by making sure we are in the same zone and then clicking ‘join in…’ to get in the same overflow server.

However, sometimes even when we are in the same zone, we still do not get the ‘join party member’ option. I believe this might be because either one or both of our characters doesn’t update their location.

For example when we meet in Kessex Hills, if I look at his character location in the friends list it will say somewhere else (usually the last place we have been) and vise versa. Re-logging and switching character and reforming the party usually doesn’t fix these issues and this happens in Kessex Hill more frequently than anywhere else. If we switch characters, usually the friends list will say he is on a different character to the one he is actually on. I have pretty much given up trying to form the party in that area as it is the most difficult place i have found this problem with.

(edited by Ceroxylon.7305)

Posted by: cloggingthetubes.4875

cloggingthetubes.4875

On the Sea of Sorrow server I have experienced this bug many times. The most recent is when trying to join my party member in Lornar’s Pass. We joined and I travelled to this area. When we were both on the map I was unable to join.

Just figured this out. My friend was transfered to Sorrows Furnace (something he didn’t choose to do but both of us started at nearly the same time). Not sure why this happened but perhaps this has been happening to other people?

(edited by cloggingthetubes.4875)

Posted by: Jadeana.1054

Jadeana.1054

My friend and I are trying to form a two player party.
When one of use is in a overflow server we get a join party member option when right clicking the party portrait. We can join up and see each other/play together.
Any other server we stayed grouped with no option to join the other on the map, we always end up on different servers even tho we travel at the same time.
So far it has happen on all maps we have played on. We are level 30.
We are on the Dragonbrand server. Same guild.

(edited by Jadeana.1054)

Posted by: Mosby.4927

Mosby.4927

I found the problem – it was my fault. Somehow I was on a different server. Once I transferred to the same server, it’s working fine.

Posted by: Jadeana.1054

Jadeana.1054

Problem solved. I was on the Dragonbrand server, the other group member thought he was on Dragonbrand but was not. Once we both were on the same server…problem solved. We can see each other on the maps and play together.

Posted by: Danny McDongle.2143

Danny McDongle.2143

Party is on Fergusson’s Crossing. Party of 2 or 3 cannot join in on each others personal stories. Tried multiple stories of different races and it will no longer allow us to do it. 1 week ago this worked just fine.

Posted by: Nordes.5379

Nordes.5379

Still have issues with “join in” with two different servers.
Server 1: Jade Sea (eu)
Server 2: Arborstone (eu)

-=Use case #1=-
Character 1: Not in overflow
Character 2: Not in overflow
Result: No “join-in” displayed
Expected result: At least one of us should have “join-in”

-=Use case #2=-
Character 1: Not in overflow
Character 2: Overflow
Result: “Join-in” displayed for one of us (the one not in overflow)
Expected: Work as expected, at least we can join-in together.

-=Use case #3=-
When we leave for a city (using the city-gate), the user of the party is lost and is not following in the same instance. Which means, we can’t reach each other in the city.

Expected: I expect that we are “asked” to move with the other. A bit like when we are in an instance for the story mode.
—————————-
Question…. is it possible to send our characters directly in the overflow? Because if I am able to join only with the overflow, I should be able to “go” in the overflow by myself.

Posted by: Angthoron.3946

Angthoron.3946

Gunnar’s Hold – EU: Currently unable to join a friend in personal story on the Battle of Claw Island and its followup step. Was able to join friend’s Battle of Claw Island part of story just about an half hour ago, though, but now joining personal story no longer seems to work.

Posted by: Urxx.6840

Urxx.6840

Not seeing other party member’s portrait / dot on map unless we are very close. I thought this issue was fixed.

Server: Whiteside Ridge
Party size: 2 (including myself)
Maps: Sparkfly Fen, Bloodtide Coast

Posted by: KingPyroJack.2785

KingPyroJack.2785

Hello, a friend and I are having trouble joining in on story quests. Before the update as of Sep. 10th we were able to join in on each other’s story quests as long we were in a party and on same server (Overflow or otherwise, joining same world server was not a problem).
When nearing or clicking on ‘enter instance’ there is no option for the other member of the party to join the story instance.
Server: Tarnished coast.
Quest: An Apple a day and Mightier than the Sword.
Party Size: 2

Posted by: Slair.8120

Slair.8120

Hi, I am having so much trouble with partying. This has only happened since this morning. Previously, it’s never been an issue.

We are in the same guild, on the same server, and we are the same level and same channels.

STEPS:
a) Regardless of any waypoint, we can’t see each other on the map or the minimap unless we are within very close proximity.
b) We tried switching between overflow and non-overflow.
c) We are standing right next to each other, but can’t both attend story quests together. (yes we are partied together)
d) We decide to go to another Zone (outside queensdale) by teleporting.

RESULT:
We are not able to see each other and it’s right back to square one.
When one of us is too far from the other one, our marker on the map shows us in an area we haven’t even explored.

EXPECTED:
- Be on the same server and see each other even after a teleport.
- Be able to join in from any situation
- Be able to do story quests together

Posted by: Snowy.3985

Snowy.3985

Party/Personal Story – Stormbluff Isle server
1. when traveling to any map/area that have multiple overflows we have to constantly “join” and sometimes log out/in to get that feature to even work.

2. When we went to help each other in personal story, we have been unable to join the other in story. We even tried logging in/out and overflow and server side. Always just took the person who started the story and not party. However, main cities seem to not be affected. We were in Kessex Hills for my human lvl 24 story and his Asura lvl 24 story.

It’s been a few days since we had party issues and then started again today 9/10/12. Just 2 in party.

Posted by: Max Lexandre.6279

Max Lexandre.6279

Just today I noticed the Party System Broke Again.
In Gunnar’s Hold server, Diessa Plateu (something like that)

What happens it’s that we can only see party members if they are close to us (really close), we can’t check info, like I can look at the person in my front but in party it will say it’s in Lions Arch or something… Also it’s face in party is black.

And far I know only Party chat is working without issues when that happens.
I can’t really fix it, even leaving and making another party, or restart the game itself, it’s something on server-side.

I’m The Best in Everything.
Asura thing.

Posted by: Nalfyr.1593

Nalfyr.1593

just started today
overflow and normal
celedon forest
2 in party myself and my partner
cant see each other on the map or in party window unless were really close to each other – and cant join each others story missions reguardless of character or level
standing right next to each other and nothing pops up at all. were able to just fine yesturday ,today not at all.

Posted by: WouldYouKindly.3042

WouldYouKindly.3042

Server: Eredon Terrace
Map: Lornar’s Pass (Normal, Not Overflow)
Problem Description:
Unable to do story missions as a group, only the owner of the story ends up in the mission instance.
Tried to group for multiple steps of the Durmand Priory quests with no success.

Slair.8120

Just today I noticed the Party System Broke Again.
In Gunnar’s Hold server, Diessa Plateu (something like that)

What happens it’s that we can only see party members if they are close to us (really close), we can’t check info, like I can look at the person in my front but in party it will say it’s in Lions Arch or something… Also it’s face in party is black.

And far I know only Party chat is working without issues when that happens.
I can’t really fix it, even leaving and making another party, or restart the game itself, it’s something on server-side.

SAME PROBLEM THAT I AM HAVING.

Slair.8120

just started today
overflow and normal
celedon forest
2 in party myself and my partner
cant see each other on the map or in party window unless were really close to each other – and cant join each others story missions reguardless of character or level
standing right next to each other and nothing pops up at all. were able to just fine yesturday ,today not at all.

same exact problem. I’m hoping there’s a hotfix tonight.

Slair.8120

Server: Eredon Terrace
Map: Lornar’s Pass (Normal, Not Overflow)
Problem Description:
Unable to do story missions as a group, only the owner of the story ends up in the mission instance.
Tried to group for multiple steps of the Durmand Priory quests with no success.

does ArenaNet use this thread as a reference to find and fix bugs?

Posted by: Lord Vader O.8153

Lord Vader O.8153

World: Isle of Janthir
Map: Lions Arch both real and overflow and Gendarren Fields real
Problem: Party doesn’t properly show up together in either, with their icons in random spots on maps…sometimes in unaccessible areas, thus prohibiting story continuation together till fixed, as none of the previous fixes seem to work to temporary resolve issue. Also at times party members appear as level 0 with class as None.

Posted by: fleacircus.6405

fleacircus.6405

Having the same problems as other here. My partner and I have been trying to play together on Isle of Janthir with the following problems:

- Unable to see each other on the minimap unless we are very close to one another.
- Minimap blue dots are occasionally in the wrong place.
- Minimap pings, personal waypoints and called target marks do not appear for the other player.
- Random, unexplained minimap pings 30 minutes after either of us tried.
- Portraits go black occasionally.
- Unable to join any instances together.
- Mail to one another is quite laggy – may be unrelated to the party problems, I havent mailed anyone else.

First experienced problems problems 15 or so hours ago. They have been persistent since then. Have tried quite a few combinations of zoning, logging out, leaving party, etc.

Posted by: Krulz.6245

Krulz.6245

Hi, having the same problems, some days works, some others don’t.
I don’t know if it had something to do, but maybe if you are in the main server doesn’t work and when you are in the overflow it does.

Krulz – Guardian –
~Piken Square~

Posted by: Emikodesuyo.5941

Emikodesuyo.5941

Actually parties are working fine for me now when I party with people from a European server. However when I try to play with my American friends I do encounter problems.

Server: Ring of Fire (Me), Blackgate (Them)
Map: Queensdale Overflow
Party size: 2
Problem:
- I do see them on my map
- I do not see them in game
- I can’t see their talk in Say or Map channel
- Join in option does not show

Party invite, Party- and Whisper channel work fine.. So is this a bug or is it just impossible for us to play together because of the distance of the servers?

Tsukinoo – Guardian
Second Law [Scnd], Baruch Bay

Posted by: Snoflake.9087

Snoflake.9087

Having problems doing our personal story as a party of two. Me and my husband are both doing the Order of Whispers line and are both up to the same point. However, neither of us can join in with the other on any personal story quest. Just the owner of the story goes in and leaves the other outside in the dust.

Server: Henge of Denravi
Map: Any of them (at the moment it’s Lions Arch)
Party: 2
Quest we are currently up to: Reconnissance (as I post this)

- I see him on the map
- I see him in game
- Ability to join in overflow/main map is not present
- Join in instance window does not appear.

Posted by: Rainyadley.4630

Rainyadley.4630

Which world you are playing on (or are in overflow from)?
Sorrow’s Furnace – I am not sure if we were on an overflow server at the time.

What map you are on?
This happened with both of our story missions that occur in the level 6-10 Charr area near the catacombs where you have your intro to the game.

How many people in your party?
2 – Playing from the same house/network.

Any other details you can provide:
My husband and I have had no trouble going into Story instances as a group for the last few days. However, playing our low-level Charr last night, we were unable to join the instance as a party.

Normally the one that the story instance is for walks up to the point and chooses to enter. The secondary party member receives a dialog box asking if they’d like to hop in to. We say ‘yes’ and all is good.

On our Charr characters last night, however, the secondary player never got a prompt and we couldn’t figure out how to leave story once we were in it so we had to solo and leave the secondary player outside.

The other issue we started having last night was not being able to see our party members on the map. Either there would be a blue party member dot but it would be somewhere random and inaccurate or there just wouldn’t be a dot at all.

We have not yet tried to go back to other characters and see if it is only happening on these ones.

(edited by Moderator)

Slair.8120

World: Isle of Janthir
Map: Lions Arch both real and overflow and Gendarren Fields real
Problem: Party doesn’t properly show up together in either, with their icons in random spots on maps…sometimes in unaccessible areas, thus prohibiting story continuation together till fixed, as none of the previous fixes seem to work to temporary resolve issue. Also at times party members appear as level 0 with class as None.

Tried playing with my friend again this morning. Having the same problem as this guy.

Posted by: Diaspro.8529

Diaspro.8529

I’ve had the issue while playing outside Ebonhawke.
Two of three party members tryed to join me in “Don’t Shoot the Messenger” Charr quest without succes.
Server: EU FoW.
In Addition I had difficult to see exactly where party members where in the map, seeing their pointers blocked or in wrong places in the map.

Rig: Intel Core i5-2400 -8GB RAM -Nvidia GTX570
EU Servers

Posted by: GamerAse.6754

GamerAse.6754

Gandara
The Black Citadel
2 people in my party
Trying to get the party to enter “Searcing for the Truth” lvl10 or “An Unusual Inheritance”

The “Join In” interface doesn’t show up, and either member of the party just enters his own story instance. We aren’t able to join each other’s instances, yet we can do so with the Human or Sylvari storyline. The Charr storyline also wasn’t a problem up to this point.

Posted by: Rahkoi.6853

Rahkoi.6853

Piken Square EU is our world
The zone is Gendarran Fields
2 people in party
Trying to enter “Under Siege” quest for the Vigil (level 57ish).

The option for me to join in on my friend’s quest doesn’t show up. He simply gets transported to his own story instance as if I wasn’t even in the party. Restarting the game or regrouping didn’t help. This happened to us yesterday with the same quest at the same location as well.

This was a persistent problem for us during the first few days of launch, but not recently, until yesterday.

Posted by: Matt.6835

Matt.6835

Hello,

Me and my partner have also had this issue…

We are on Whiteside Ridge
We have noticed it today in Bloodtide Coast (but it has happened in most if every explorable area)
Party of 2

Also – we have found that if we are in a party together and one of us walks far enough away (about 1/4 mini map range) their blue dot on the map disappears and the party box goes blank. We use this method to gauge if we will be able to instance together (if the other party member doesn’t disappear then we’re good to go!)

Whiteside Ridge
Thalric Vissarion
Gorlice

(edited by Matt.6835)

Posted by: Hyne.6042

Hyne.6042

Stormbluff Isles (US) Server.

I can’t join my friends/guildies personal story mission nor can they join me for mine. So far this has happened for every map. We’re on the same server/channel, but I noticed I can never see their portrait in the party and their dot acts like a phantom. It shows them someplace they’re not. We’ll be standing right next to each-other, but yeah the party seems wonked. We tried exiting the game completely and reformed the party but that never made a difference. I was able to join my friends personal story later when they had one that was in Divinitys Reach.

Posted by: Faela.9716

Faela.9716

Which world you are playing on (or are in overflow from)
Piken Square

What map you are on
Snowden Drifts – the Norn ‘Among the Kodan’ quest

How many people in your party

Any other details you can provide
I have been able to successfully enter my playing partner’s personal storyline instances in Wayfarer Foothills today, and before today we have both been able to enter each other’s instances. However, the Among the Kodan quest is not letting my partner enter the instance, even after trying logging off and on and rezoning.

Posted by: RShara.3265

RShara.3265

• Which world you are playing on (or are in overflow from)
    —Tarnished Coast
  • What map you are on
    —Any
  • How many people in your party
    —2
  • Any other details you can provide
    —When my partner and I travel together on any map, if we’re more than ~30 yards(whatever the fade distance is) from each other, we start experiencing party problems:
    1. Our character portraits go black, as if we were on different maps or servers. The blue dot is either missing completely or in some random inaccurate location.
    2. If one of us dies too far away, the portrait goes black and we can’t find each other to revive, even if we get very close together. The other character literally is not visible anywhere on the screen even when looking directly at it.
    3. Elevation seems to cause more problems than distance. ~10 feet of elevation will cause this problem vs ~30 yds of distance.
    4. Personal Story instances are not prompting the secondary person, even when we’re on the same map and are standing right next to each other.
    5. Pings and targeting are not showing up in the chat window.

Posted by: Archer.8362

Archer.8362

Server:
P1 – Jade Quarry (not Overflow)
P2 – Maguuma (not Overflow)

Map:
Plains of Ashford/Any

Total Members:

Issue:
“Join” option not available when right clicking on party member’s portrait.

Posted by: ArchCalder.3258

ArchCalder.3258

Which world you are playing on (or are in overflow from)
Tarnished Coast

What map you are on
Straits of Devastation – Doing the story quest “The Battle of Fort Trinity”

How many people in your party

Any other details you can provide
Whenever we stray too far apart in this area, my friend’s portrait in the party UI disappears. It isn’t just that; her level and class disappear, and the blue dot indicating where she is on the map doesn’t appear. When we are close together, the party info is fixed; however, it doesn’t give her the option to join my story quest. The quest starts as if I was starting the quest with just me.

Posted by: Rooten.2135

Rooten.2135

Server Sorrow’s Furnace

same problem as elsbeth, when trying to make a party to do Ascalonian Catacombs, the join party option appears but when I click or we click, we can’t join the Dungeon, and if I get in, I can’t see any of my party guys and the picture or black. We are not playing in overflow and a lot of ppl have the same problem. I had no problem before.

This is for story mode, not explore mode

(edited by Rooten.2135)

Posted by: FlatusJae.4390

FlatusJae.4390

I’m not sure if this is about overflow joining or just the general joining, but here goes:

I’m playing with my girlfriend in Piken Square EU, we’re using same internet connection(so same IP to outside world).

Sometimes, pretty randomly, when trying to enter each other’s personal story, we cant. We are next to each other, in same map, in same server, same part of the quest, we’re not in overflow. When one of us, either one of us, starts the personal story quest, other should get the prompt window to join that player’s personal quest. But it doesn’t. Quest starter just goes to his quest and the option to join that quest never appears to either one of us depending who started the quest.

This comes and goes pretty randomly, usually after game update it is fixed again, but for example last night we tried to do personal story with our mains, and it bugged once again. This evening, we tried to do personal story on our alts, and again we couldn’t join each other’s quests.

This has happened in various maps and quest phases, and we have quit the current quest after noticing that we cant join together to the quest, and continued together later when it worked again.

Really weird thing is that this applies SPECIFICLY to mine or her personal stories, I tested this with random people and I could join their personal stories without any trouble. But not between me and my gf.

I has a tail.

Posted by: Gwylen.3462

Gwylen.3462

Okay, here goes c:

Aurora Glade (EU) both of us in the main world.
What map you are on – Harathi Hinterlands
How many people in your party – Me and one other (I’m a Charr, She’s an Asura)
Any other details you can provide – Doing the level 47 Durmand Priory Quest ‘Set to Blow’ with one other person. We’re both in the same area, not in the overflow either, but whenever one of us is a little too far away from the other, their blue dot on the mini map stops moving and their portrait disappears, even if we’re in the same area still. When I go into the instance, It’s just me there, my friend didn’t get the option to join me and the story starts as if I was alone.

Gwylen (Aurora Glade [EU])

http://www.youtube.com/user/CharGwyl

Posted by: Montor.7820

Montor.7820

can’t join story mode.
it seems to be that if there is a story mode where you have to fight it doesn’t give you the option to join in.
it will work when there is just a dialog then the option then join in is available.

party 2 people – no overflow – I’m at L52 he’s at L28