Lighting Issues Game Update 4/18

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Dana windfelt.8160

Dana windfelt.8160

Last patch update seemed to have made the lighting (adaptation) worst – it’s more noticeable in bright-light areas, but just standing in front of the LA portal in Gendarran Fields, gives my toon a sickly dark shade.

https://youtu.be/MDjyl7RlcJo

http://imgur.com/EkCKsts

Running AMD Radeon HD 7970. Graphic settings on high/Ultra; 4K monitor. Postprocessing set to low (even high) – toggling light adaptation sees to have the only effect.

Posted by: Conundra.1920

Conundra.1920

This should be fixed now.

Sadly this doesn’t appear to be fixed for the AMD cards.

Posted by: Garrus.5089

Garrus.5089

Still experiencing problems even after the latest patch. Nvidia GeForce GTX760.

Light only seems to work when I face a certain angle in-game, otherwise yeah it’s just pitch black and relying on NPC locations and fog to see the shape of terrain :P

Reinstalled latest graphics driver, restarted, closed a few programs. Seems to still be happening.

Traxus Ironsmoke – Iron Legion Engineer
“IT’S THE RED WIRE!”

(edited by Garrus.5089)

Posted by: Norec.8256

Norec.8256

Great job on the lighting bug. Seems to be fixed now.

The square shadow thing is much less of a problem. It only really happens a lot in LA Aerodrome and in the place in the vid below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT1a-e6LVy4

Haven’t seen it around all that much.

This problem has been report so many time and no reaction from A.net:

7 month ago:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Glitch-with-shadow-ligh-GTX1070/

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Graphic-corruption-with-Nvidia-10XX-cards/

5 month ago:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Shadows-flicker-with-GTX-10-series/

and probably many other post…

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

This should be fixed now.

Can confirm it is indeed fixed,

Thank you

Posted by: Sephas.8793

Sephas.8793

I’ll have to check when I get home. I think it was still happening last night after the patch for me. The red lights in Rata Arcanus were overexposed and overly bright, but I’ll have to look again to be sure.

Posted by: MordekaiZeyo.7318

MordekaiZeyo.7318

Not confirmed. The Light/Shadow blocks Issue still exist like the previous screenshot i posted before…

Posted by: Bigglesworth.8249

Bigglesworth.8249

Just updated to the new patch on 5/3/17 and the starting area in Draconis Mons has the same problem as shown in Umbert’s video. The lighting for the whole area flickers on and off (like day/night difference) depending on the camera angle. Using a gtx 1050 ti with the 381.89 driver, and no settings changes seem to help.

Got the same glitch – " disco bug " !

And nvidia 1080. No mather resolutions from1080p-4K, depending on camera angle things get dark/lit up. Tried every setting in game and Nvidia controllpanel.

Really annoying.

Demonstration here: https://youtu.be/PbVkccwMH_w

Thx for looking in to the problem

- Taking up eSports Bandwidth
Maguuma

Posted by: Jon Olson

Previous

Jon Olson

Programmer

Next

I spoke with the engineer who put in the fix: out of an abundance of caution the fix was limited to 1080 cards only. If possible, we’re going to try to expand the fix to the entire 10 series cards.

In the meantime, we’d like to try an experiment with those who are still experiencing the shadow flickering related issues: try rolling back your graphics drivers.

Beta, Character Select/Create, Enhanced Squad UI, Play for Free, Raids, Streaming Client, & Mac

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

It’s affecting my 1060 in the new zone as well – bottom right corner under the map is showing vertical bars.

Conundra.1920

I spoke with the engineer who put in the fix: out of an abundance of caution the fix was limited to 1080 cards only. If possible, we’re going to try to expand the fix to the entire 10 series cards.

In the meantime, we’d like to try an experiment with those who are still experiencing the shadow flickering related issues: try rolling back your graphics drivers.

That’s cool. Is there also a fix for AMD cards as well?

Garrus.5089

Just thought I’d report in on this further, whether it’s any use.

What I have found is launching GW2 through the desktop shortcut, I get this problem.

When I launch it through Steam which for me the target line is “E:\Guild Wars 2 64 Bit\Guild Wars 2.exe” in Properties – I don’t seem to experience the problem.

Just noticed it now on logging in that last night, I used desktop shortcut without Steam because I was too lazy to sign into Steam and had the lighting bugs.
Then after logging into Steam and then GW2 through Steam, the problem disappeared. I’d assumed it was random but it seems to have successfully repeated exactly that again this morning.

I will test this again right now just to be sure.

EDIT: I just tried again, launching the game through a desktop shortcut guarantees for me that I get the lighting bug, I am running game on the “Best Appearance” preset and on Windows 10. I can provide screenshots if it helps. I’m a Charr Iron Legion Scrapper, not an Asuran scientist so not tech savvy.

“IT’S THE RED WIRE!”

(edited by Garrus.5089)

MordekaiZeyo.7318

I can’t rollback the graphic drivers because i had the same issue since the release of Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070 with all of released WHQL drivers from Nvidia website.

Hmmmm… Garrus…

I’ll try the steam client now. One moment.

EDIT:

Same effect with Steam Client.

(edited by MordekaiZeyo.7318)

Sephas.8793

To what Jon? I’m not on the latest driver because I’m too lazy to reorganize my windows, and I have a 1070.

Norec.8256

I can’t rollback the graphic drivers because i had the same issue since the release of Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070 with all of released WHQL drivers from Nvidia website.

Same here on a GTX1070 since the release of that graphic card. I had the time to try many and many drivers version who never solve that problem.

Posted by: ravenomega.5937

ravenomega.5937

I’ve talked to Anet about the checkered shadow bug and they said they’d get back to me but it’s been 3 months. Here’s a video of what they look like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCbnxWFEIx4

I’ve tested this on 4 GTX 1070’s

other threads with the issue:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Graphic-corruption-with-Nvidia-10XX-cards/first#post6483882

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Shadows-flicker-with-GTX-10-series/first#post6486627

(edited by ravenomega.5937)

Posted by: Jon Olson

Previous

Jon Olson

Programmer

Next

AMD cards appear to have an unrelated issue. I don’t know anything about it unfortunately.

Beta, Character Select/Create, Enhanced Squad UI, Play for Free, Raids, Streaming Client, & Mac

Posted by: mortenbt.4213

mortenbt.4213

This is still a problem for me, even after rolling back my drivers and everything.
It makes the new map completely unplayable. There is no colour anywhere.

90% of my lighting has just vanished.

The only way to get my lighting back seems to be turning towards the middle of the map.

I’m on a gtx 770, and the problem persists both on the old drivers and the new.
I have also tried fiddeling with every single graphic setting to no avail.

The attached images show you what im talking about.

EDIT:

Alright two minutes after posting this I solved the problem. Starting the game using the actual .exe file found in the game directory fixed it for me. Normally I start the game using a desktop shortcut. This means that the shortcut somehow screwed the game up? I had no idea that such a thing could happen but oh well, it’s fixed for me now

Attachments:

(edited by mortenbt.4213)

Garrus.5089

Hmmmm… Garrus…

I’ll try the steam client now. One moment.

EDIT:

Same effect with Steam Client.

Hmm, I guess it may be something specific to each person’s computer. For me the issue was lighting just completely vanishing when I faced certain angles and lighting when it was present, being insanely bright and saturated.

Hopefully a fix will come soon.

This is still a problem for me, even after rolling back my drivers and everything.
It makes the new map completely unplayable. There is no colour anywhere.

90% of my lighting has just vanished.

The only way to get my lighting back seems to be turning towards the middle of the map.

I’m on a gtx 770, and the problem persists both on the old drivers and the new.
I have also tried fiddeling with every single graphic setting to no avail.

The attached images show you what im talking about.

EDIT:

Alright two minutes after posting this I solved the problem. Starting the game using the actual .exe file found in the game directory fixed it for me. Normally I start the game using a desktop shortcut. This means that the shortcut somehow screwed the game up? I had no idea that such a thing could happen but oh well, it’s fixed for me now

This is exactly the issue I am having too.

Could it be that we just need to start from the .exe to work around this? Because that’s basically what Steam is doing for me when I log into the client through Steam.

“IT’S THE RED WIRE!”

(edited by Garrus.5089)

Sephas.8793

Well, that’s kind of weird. Again I’ll have to verify this when I get home, but launching from the shortcut is the only way I launch the game. I’ll have to try logging in with the exe and see what happens.

This seems strange as heck since the shortcut, in theory, is just running the executable (plus any command line arguments). I know I like to use my shortcut because it auto logs me in, shows map info on loading screens, and whatnot.

Conundra.1920

AMD cards appear to have an unrelated issue. I don’t know anything about it unfortunately.

Aww that’s a shame. I’ll just have to carry around my fiery dragon sword to light the way.

Posted by: Anapxist.5314

Anapxist.5314

GTX 1080 here. Look like light blinking was fixed but shadow bug apper again. And again you can workaround by set shadow setting on low.
Here screenshots, and i leave bug report from that place.
You can think its minor coz it had not clear vision on screenshot, but all this squares move and blinkin around with torch fire.

Attachments:

Posted by: Seth.1079

Seth.1079

The hotfix applied 5/2 seemed to fix everything, the light blinking and the shadow boxes, but the hotfix today 5/4 just brought back the shadow boxes/wrong color light in the lower right. This is with the shadow setting set to ultra. Note that this problem does not happen at any setting other than ultra or high shadows.
GTX 1080 here.
See bottom right of image.

Attachments:

(edited by Seth.1079)

Posted by: Redox.9210

Redox.9210

Lighting no longer breaks when you move camera but shadows are broken if you set them higher then low. I’m using GTX 1080.

Tiny Siege Turtles – Blacktide EU

Posted by: Sondergaard.8469

Sondergaard.8469

Outside I does has shadow.. inside, I does not has shadow.

I suppose this is just a side effect of being an awesomely creepy reaper? Also on GTX 1080

Attachments:

MordekaiZeyo.7318

No shadows inside? Not on ultra shadow details but i made a comparison shots again.

Attachments:

Anapxist.5314

BTW shadow coruption appear at high and ultra shadow setting, and some times not at same place. It could be good at ultra and corupted at high at one place and corupted at ultra and good at high at other place.

Sephas.8793

I played a little yesterday in the new map, and all my issues seem to be resolved. I’ll probably play a it after work this weekend and let you guys and gals know if I notice anything else.

Posted by: MFoy.3284

MFoy.3284

Uh some advice please: Running a GTX 760 with 381.65 drivers. Is this honestly what the new map is suppose to look like? None of the other maps look like this. Is this the Shadow Bug or a different one?

Attachments:

Posted by: Bigglesworth.8249

Bigglesworth.8249

Just wanted to stop in to say the update a couple days ago with the additional fixes for nvidia cards seems to have worked perfectly for me. I’ve been able to enjoy the new zone, thanks for the quick fix Anet!

Just updated to the new patch on 5/3/17 and the starting area in Draconis Mons has the same problem as shown in Umbert’s video. The lighting for the whole area flickers on and off (like day/night difference) depending on the camera angle. Using a gtx 1050 ti with the 381.89 driver, and no settings changes seem to help.

- Taking up eSports Bandwidth
Maguuma

Sephas.8793

The only issue I’m having now is the checker boarding at the bottom edge of the screen.

Posted by: Andoka.3561

Andoka.3561

I don’t experience the lighting bugs, but I have some problems with the temperature of my GPU on this map, it reaches 80°C and it’s the only map where it happens.
I don’t know what my GPU tries to calculate, but there is obviously a problem.

Posted by: Dara Potocska

Previous

Dara Potocska

QA Embed

Next

Hello Friends!

As we continue investing issues with the lighting in the game, I had a few requests! There are a few issues going on and in an effort to help me make an accurate list, would you please answer the following:

1. What issue are you reporting on?
    1. Lighting appearing darker than it should be.
    2. Shadows having a blocky or corrupted looking appearance.
    3. Something else entirely (please briefly describe your issue).
  2. What card are you experiencing this on?
    1. AMD Radeon 7450
    2. AMD Radeon 5450
    3. AMD Radeon HD 7970
    4. AMD Radeon HD 7950
    5. Nvidia GeForce GTX760
    6. Nvidia GeForce GTX770
    7. Nvidia GeForce GTX1070
    8. Nvidia GeForce GTX1080
    9. Another card not listed (please state the card name)
  3. What map were you in when you observed this issue?
  4. Please add a screenshot with your minimap showing in the screenshot (this helps QA in trying to identify the location so we can give a location for lights to programming)
  5. Please add a second screenshot with your graphics options showing so we can get a quick read on what settings you are using when the report is made.

Thank you guys again for continuing to provide information!

Posted by: Aemy.5360

Aemy.5360

i have this bug in many map with GTX 1070 all seting are ultra

Attachments:

Posted by: Connor Obrian.8420

Connor Obrian.8420

I encountered the bug, stated by Seth.1079. The graphical bug is this brighter margin on the bottom of the screenshots. It flickers with a higher frequency in the live game.
Seemingly, it only appears on the new map Draconis Mons. I couldn’t find a real pattern that explains where it tends to happen. I experienced the bug all over the map, but not everywhere.

Graphics card: GTX1070 drivers: 382.05

ps: I still think that the performance of Guild Wars 2 is quite poor. More actual games with far more advanced optics and technical features run extraordinarily better on my setup. Unfortunately, this problem is old and the performance is still kind of okay. I hope you have been working on it for the second expansion pack though.

Attachments:

(edited by Connor Obrian.8420)

Anapxist.5314

1. Shadows having a blocky or corrupted looking appearance
2. Nvidia GeForce GTX1080
3. Harathi Hinterlands
I dont play guild wars much now, so no much place i can found. Ascalonian Catacomb dungeon had a lot of shadow glitches times ago, when this issue apper.

Attachments:

MordekaiZeyo.7318

1. Shadows having a blocky or corrupted looking appearance.
2. Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070 (Geforce 378.49 WHQL)
3. Harathi Hinterlands

Attachments:

Posted by: ravenomega.5937

ravenomega.5937

2. Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070
3. Numerous caves, Dungeons such as COF, TA, SE and others. Order of Whispers hideout, at Gorseval etc etc.

Norec.8256

2. Nvidia Geforce GTX1070
3. Many map. some exemple Brisban Wildlands, Harathis Hinterlands, Draconis Mont, Ascalon catacomb, Lornar Pass (In durmand priory)

(edited by Norec.8256)

MFoy.3284

I keep looking to see if this problem has been addressed in this series of patches and … nope. Draconis Mons is still looking bad (see above example). Let me add: Draconis Mons is the only map I’m seeing the problem on. This leads me to believe it’s the map not my GTX 760.

I’m concerned this will effect all future maps including the expansion.

Here’s an example of the game as I see in all the other maps along with my settings

Attachments:

Posted by: Dara Potocska

Previous

Dara Potocska

QA Embed

Next

Hey friends! The investigation is still ongoing. Thank you for your patience and for continuing to provide all this information for the investigations!

Posted by: Ester Sauter

Previous

Ester Sauter

GW2 QA Lead

Next

Hey everyone!

Thank you so much for all of your responses. The graphics team is investigating the different issues with the different cards. It isn’t a fast process so we appreciate your patience!

Posted by: Matt Anderson

Previous

Matt Anderson

Graphics Programmer

Next

Hi all. Would like to post a quick update.

There appear to be several distinct issues being discussed in this thread.

1) Issues related to new-ish hardware and shadows, like the 1080 cards. I believe this was fixed, broken again while attempting to make the fix more general, and will be sorted out soon. Thank you for your patience.

2) Issues related to lights blinking on/off based on camera angle.

Examples of players seeing this issue:

This is exactly the issue I am having too.

Could it be that we just need to start from the .exe to work around this? Because that’s basically what Steam is doing for me when I log into the client through Steam.

It sounds like this only occurs when a particular render setting is active, usually set via a command line option. This is why the problem goes away for some players when launching the game directly instead of using a favored shortcut. If so, what you are seeing is the game in ‘forwardrenderer’ mode. (It is also a compatibility setting when particular hardware features are not available).

By default Guild Wars 2 uses a variant of deferred rendering. Roughly, this separates the complexity of materials (what objects look like) and lighting and can allow for more lights. This is the intended mode, what artists see when building and lighting environments. The forward rendering mode gets used as a fallback for certain cases where deferred rendering is problematic. For example, when objects fade in/out or when water shows a planar reflection. In forward mode only a small number of lights are chosen per object. As such, the lighting quality may be severely reduced, especially in indoor and underground locations where the sun is obscured and much of the lighting comes from additional light sources.

I wouldn’t recommend the forward rendering mode unless absolutely necessary to enjoy the game. But kudos to explorers of hidden features. The upside of using this mode all the time, it may be cheaper. In particular for systems where the GPU is the bottleneck. If the game happens to be CPU bound on a particular machine, this setting will reduce visual quality for no gains.

That said, forward rendered mode is expected to look worse but it is not expected to be completely unusable.

I’m looking into this now. Something to do with how a limited number of lights are chosen each frame. Newer maps have many more lights than earlier maps and are stressing this system in ways it was not exposed to when written.

3) Issues related to environment lighting.

Examples of players seeing this issue:

Uh some advice please: Running a GTX 760 with 381.65 drivers. Is this honestly what the new map is suppose to look like? None of the other maps look like this. Is this the Shadow Bug or a different one?

Unless I am missing something in that screenshot, I believe this is what the new map looks like. Travelling to that area, I see similar results. And don’t see signs of the Shadow Bug or other lighting issues discussed above. As a large interior, that area is lit differently than most parts of the game. And compared to other maps, this map uses some more extreme color grading settings.

Posted by: WhiteVein.1508

WhiteVein.1508

Hello
If you are still looking for user experience on this topic:

1. What issue are you reporting on?
Shadows having a blocky or corrupted looking appearance.

2. What card are you experiencing this on?
Nvidia GeForce GTX1070 (Gainward, 382.33, newest Bios, Micron Memory)

3. What map were you in when you observed this issue?
Frostgorge Sound, Groznev Delve

4. Settings
Everything on highest setting. If I set shadows to low or none the blocky shadows will disappear

Thanks for your work on this issue

Attachments:

MFoy.3284

“compared to other maps, this map uses some more extreme color grading settings.” So, uh… you’re saying it’s a feature not a bug?

From a customer standpoint it’s almost unplayable. I find this to be a very disturbing response in light of future maps and of course the XPac.

Posted by: Matt Anderson

Previous

Matt Anderson

Graphics Programmer

Next

“compared to other maps, this map uses some more extreme color grading settings.” So, uh… you’re saying it’s a feature not a bug?

From a customer standpoint it’s almost unplayable. I find this to be a very disturbing response in light of future maps and of course the XPac.

Sorry if my previous post was unclear. There are several issues being discussed and most are bugs, not features.

In the screenshot you posted, though, I do not see blocky shadow artifacts, missing lights, or excessive darkness.

The only thing that jumps out at me, compared to other maps, is the use of color grading in that area. I’ll attach an image of the effect on and off to show what I’m talking about. The color grading is responsible for increasing saturation and darkening up the shadows. So, darks are darker in some cases, but not due to missing lights or broken shadows.

Does this sound like what you find amiss? Or is there something else that I am not picking up?

Thanks!

Attachments:

MFoy.3284

Yes, your example demonstrates what I’m having a problem with. We are seeing the same thing. I’m willing to admit it’s kinda subjective in nature. However, when I’m used to seeing something like this everywhere else in the game I thought it had to be a bug of some sort. My error apparently.

I find Draconis Mons unlikable to the point I’ll not be spending time there. Here’s hoping we can see a return to more the more pleasing visuals in the future.

Attachments:

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Sorry if my previous post was unclear. There are several issues being discussed and most are bugs, not features.

In the screenshot you posted, though, I do not see blocky shadow artifacts, missing lights, or excessive darkness.

The only thing that jumps out at me, compared to other maps, is the use of color grading in that area. I’ll attach an image of the effect on and off to show what I’m talking about. The color grading is responsible for increasing saturation and darkening up the shadows. So, darks are darker in some cases, but not due to missing lights or broken shadows.

Does this sound like what you find amiss? Or is there something else that I am not picking up?

Thanks!

O_o so that is what is making parts of Draconis Mons look weird

Posted by: Kalibri.5861

Kalibri.5861

Yes, your example demonstrates what I’m having a problem with. We are seeing the same thing. I’m willing to admit it’s kinda subjective in nature. However, when I’m used to seeing something like this everywhere else in the game I thought it had to be a bug of some sort. My error apparently.

I find Draconis Mons unlikable to the point I’ll not be spending time there. Here’s hoping we can see a return to more the more pleasing visuals in the future.

I just got a new GTX1060 a couple of days ago and the first time I played Draconis Mons was on this card, so per a conversation I had with a couple of folks on map chat, I came to this thread because I honestly expected that my experience with Draconis Mons was a bug, and that the maddeningly intense oversaturation, smudgy low-quality terrain textures, and weirdly bright spotlighting in certain places was a bug. Other people in map chat (one who also uses a 1060) expressed the same thing.

So, I guess I’m just a little surprised by the notion that all of this may not be a bug. Is it just… a different art direction? Not enough time to polish the map? As MFoy said, it’s subjective, but to me it looks like a child’s drawing done in crayon compared to some of the other stuff we’ve seen so far. Part of the reason that I continue to play GW2 is because I have enjoyed how the game looks, particularly with Heart of Thorns, but I don’t want to spend any more time in Draconis Mons than I have to. I do hope that this is not the bar that’s being set for future content.

Anapxist.5314

Still no fgix for shadows. GTX 1080

Attachments: